Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Count of Conquest

Post by Jabroniville »

THE COUNT OF CONQUEST (aka Lord Conquest)
Created By:
William Moulton Marston & Harry G. Peter
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #2 (Sept. 1942)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The Gods of War

-The Count, also called "Lord Conquest", was dressed like a generic Roman general and a minion of Mars.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dark Angel! Maxwell Lord! Dr. Psycho! Ares!)

Post by Davies »

... "sever all your claims to living"?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 pm ... "sever all your claims to living"?
POETRY!!
Jabroniville

Re: Dark Angel

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:19 am
Did they really need to include her gluteal fold?
Perhaps they knew that only a TOTAL PERV would look :P
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:31 pm
POETRY!!
... "poetry"?
JDRook

Re: Dark Angel

Post by JDRook »

Davies wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:34 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:31 pm
POETRY!!
... "poetry"?
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:32 pm
FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:19 am
Did they really need to include her gluteal fold?
Perhaps they knew that only a TOTAL PERV would look :P
Her gluteal fold will sever all your claims to poetry!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

What creeps me out most was WW's response to that line....
Jabroniville

Deimos

Post by Jabroniville »

DEIMOS
Created By:
Mike Sekowsky
First Appearance: Wonder Woman #183 (Aug. 1969)
Role: Snake-God
Group Affiliations: The Olympian Pantheon
PL 11 (182)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (History) 7 (+9)
Expertise (War) 7 (+9)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 9 (+12)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Daze (Intimidation), Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Powers:
"Immortal God" Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]

"Serpentine Hair" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited to Fear) [24]

"Helmet That Also Has Serpentine Hair" (Flaws: Removable) [29]
"These Snakes Are Venomous" Weaken Strength 12 (Extras: Progressive +2) (36 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Fear Venom +10 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Regular Venom +10 (+12 Weaken, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Ares)- Ares is a demanding master, and even his children are afraid of displeasing him.

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 11 (182)

-The sons of Ares, Phobos & Deimos, are typically depicted as generic minions in most works- that rings true for DC as well. They and Strife helped "Mars" attack Paradise Island in the Pre-Crisis continuity. Deimos returns Post-Crisis with serpentine features (looking at least a bit distinctive), creating Decay to fightt Wonder Woman. The favored son of Ares, he had a big rivalry with Phobos. Deimos poisoned Diana during a huge fight in Hades' realm against both brothers, but before she could succumb, she decapitated him by throwing her "razor-sharp" tiara at him. Phobos just chickened out and bailed. Later, he was revived by Phobos and took control of the Joker's body, but Joker's own insanity left him struggling to keep control. Ares was furious at their dumb plan and brought all his children to Tartarus.

-Deimos is a regular PL 10 brawler who has very powerful venom- it costs a lot because he has a Device for one, and the other is inborn, so he can't just Alt-Effect one or the other. He's also more of a manipulator from behind the scenes, much like his father.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Demios would make an intresting PC. Drop the Helmet and you get a decent PL 10 Brawler build. Turn him into a Good guy(Marvel did it with Ares after all) and he'd fit as a Bruiser in a Hero team rather well(his manipulative nature coming out more in Social stuff)...
Jabroniville

Phobos

Post by Jabroniville »

This looks EXACTLY like something you'd see in a D&D Monster Manual.

PHOBOS
Created By:
Mike Sekowsky
Role: God of Terror
PL 10 (173)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (History) 7 (+7)
Expertise (War) 7 (+7)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 8 (+9)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
Daze (Intimidation), Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Powers:
"Immortal God" Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]

"Aura of Fear" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Fear) (30) -- [31]
  • AE: Mind-Reading 9 (Flaws: Limited to Fears) (9)
"The Heart of the Medusas" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [29]
Summon Greatest Fears 8 (Extras: Heroic +2, Controlled, Variable- Fears) (48 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Aura of Fear +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Mind-Reading -- (DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Ares)- Ares is a demanding master, and even his children are afraid of displeasing him.
Responsibility (Impulsive Coward)- Phobos is ironically rather chicken.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 10 (173)

-The God of Terror was another minion of Ares, and was jealous of Deimos for being the favored son. One of his schemes leads to the creation of Decay, who fights Wonder Woman in one of her early dramatic battles in the George Perez run. Later, he fled in terror (ironically, as he's literally God of Terror) when Diana killed Deimos. During the War of the Gods, he was beaten by Superman & Starman, then returned to his homebase and killed his sister Harmonia. Later, he returned and took over the body of the Scarecrow while Deimos possessed the Joker- Ares was furious at their incompetence and took them both to Tartarus. I dislike this design- it comes off like a bottom-tier Jack Kirby mook instead of a major threat. Which might be why they made him such a wimp.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

It's kind of weird to see "Created by Mike Sekowsky" on characters who probably predate Hesiod and Homer, but, well, the guy deserves better recognition than he ever got when he was alive.

... it might be sort of interesting to tie these guys, and Harmonia, into the Emotional Spectrum.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Davies wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:36 am It's kind of weird to see "Created by Mike Sekowsky" on characters who probably predate Hesiod and Homer, but, well, the guy deserves better recognition than he ever got when he was alive.
Still, it like seeing "Thor, created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby".

Also, even though Mike Sekowsky who was the creator behind their first appearance, George Perez is the one responsible for their most memorable appearances.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
That Sullivan Guy

Re: Ares

Post by That Sullivan Guy »

The Powers of War:
-Ares is extremely powerful- a notch better that Wonder Woman, and a master manipulator and a crafty behind-the-scenes guy, meaning he's smart, versatile, and dangerous. This makes him ENORMOUSLY expensive. I threw in "Variable" beacuse he's one of those guys who just has lots and lots of powers- DC Adventures adds even more than I do, but I couldn't even find "Can shoot energy blasts" in any online bios, but there you go. DC bio writers suck, lol.
Ares was one of the write-ups whose assignment I inherited when one of the other contributors flaked on the project (pretty sure that's how I ended up with Atomic Skull and Metallo as well). I had him at PL 14 at first and the developers balked (they had neglected to include a pre-determined PL for the character when they told me to add him to my list) and they told me to bump him to PL 16 and make sure that his attacks included Penetrating*. I said, "okay, sure," as he wasn't one of the characters I cared strongly about at all. Now, some of the other write-ups I did I got into arguments over, but not old Ares here.

Truth be told, one of my litany of flaws as a professional designer/writer is my intractable tendency to blow past word counts when I'm enjoying my work. For example, my turnover for the multiverse chapter of DC Adventures Book IV was about 160% of my assigned word count, and that was after they chopped out a bunch of stuff. This is only one of the things about me that used to drive Steve and Jon crazy, and I was extremely flattered when they liked the extra material enough to go to significant trouble to include it in the final product (like my 150% of assigned word count AEGIS section of Emerald City). That being said, Ares's write-ups was one of those times I knew there would be absolutely no way they'd fit all of my material in unless they found the need to expand the write-up's "footprint" to make pages and art spacing work out (which occurred MANY times). Hence my including the extra stuff (write-ups for Eris, Decay, Deimos & Phobos, Harmonia, and Lyta Milton**) at the end of the overall article so the guys wouldn't have any difficulty cutting the material off if needed.

Which they did.

Funny story — After the books finally came out in print and my friends were reading them, one of my pals asked me what of mine had been cut (...he knows me too well...). So, I put together a list for him of my assignments, including in the list the names of the write-ups' extra material that wound up on the cutting room floor or which showed changes in the final product that I found confusing or disagreeable. The list was ...ummm, how best to put this ... extensive.

Such is life. :-)

[*Sigh ... confession time. While I enjoy reading M&M material from GR and a few other sources, I don't care to run M&M, at least not RAW. In point of fact, when I do run M&M, I have somewhere around 8-9 pages of house rules (Book Antiqua, 10-point font), some of which change fundamental mechanics (the DC for ALL resistible powers is DC + Ranks, not just damage, I use 2d10 instead of a d20 so we actually see a bell curve, and so on and so on). I also changed the way Penetrating and Impervious work in my house rules somewhat as I hate the Penetrating extra RAW. Hate it. Outside of all but the lowest PL campaign levels, I find it pretty much useless and not worth spending points on.]

[** I seem to remember that Jon mentioned the possibility of keeping the Lyta Milton write-up and moving it to Circe's article, but, alas, twas apparently not to be. And if you guys are wondering about the Crow Children, that storyline was significantly after the period where we worked on these books.]
Jabroniville

Eris

Post by Jabroniville »

I'm not much into the "crazy peach-fuzz head lady" look, but SOMETHING about the New 52 version appeals to me...

ERIS (aka Strife)
Created By:
Mike Sekowsky
Role: Shit-Disturber

-Eris, the Goddess of Chaos, is a generic minion of Ares here, at one point making various United Nations dignitaries fight over her famous golden apple. Wonder Woman fought and defeated her, but the event still causes Man's World to look poorly upon her mission, and so Eris still wins- CLASSIC Goddess of Chaos behavior. She is later killed during the War of the Gods by Son of Vulcan. Years later, she returns with Phobos & Deimos, possessing Poison Ivy and attacking Gotham City. All three are beaten by Bat-Family & WW Family.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Olympian Gods

Post by Jabroniville »

THE OLYMPIAN GODS:
-DC's use of the Olympian Gods is always a bit peculiar. Them being so crazy straight-up rotten in most myths is conveniently ignored much of the time, as they're now out to "help humanity" and have the Amazons show them the way, but then other writers will just play up how douchey the Gods are. The Gods had Roman counterparts at one point thanks to the manipulations of Darkseid, but later merged back with them. They bailed on all their worshippers during Infinite Crisis, looking like a bunch of cowards, too. None of this would bug me, as it's pretty standard to Greek Mythology that they're a bunch of assholes... but to me, it really hurts the value of Wonder Woman's mythos when her beautiful mission of peace is made under orders from THESE GUYS. She's like a missionary for the biggest bunch of pricks in mythology.

APHRODITE: Often the creator of the Amazons, and not as flighty as in the myths. Post-Crisis, she's a minor backgrounder, typically a beautiful naked woman.

HELL YES.

HERA: Short of Diana's famous "Great Hera!", she doesn't have much of an effect until the New 52 version, where a Peacock-dressing Hera is a Mega-MILF deposed Queen, defending Diana against her mad son, the First Born. Humorously, she's still an imperious domme-y Queen while also complaining a lot.

APOLLO & ARTEMIS: Barely a factor at all, though Apollo frees the First Born in his quest to become the new King of the Gods in the "New 52". Artemis is a patron of Diana's in the Post-Crisis continuity, but the fact that WW's pal Artemis shares her name, so she never appeared much.

ATHENA: A major patron goddess Post-Crisis, probably because she's the most WW-like of all the Gods. Becomes Queen of the Gods post-2000.

DEMETER: Another patron goddess- not much of a factor.

EIRENE: Goddess of Peace and wife of Ares. She feels at balance when she's with him, but goes mad and violent when he's not around.

HARMONIA: Goddess of Harmony and daughter of Ares & Aphrodite. Was disfigured at first, but cured by Diana. Later killed by Deimos.

HEPHAESTUS: Never gets up to much, which is funny considering he created both the Lasso of Truth and Hippolyta's Golden Girdle.

POSEIDON: Never really a factor in WW. Showed up to blind Aquaman once for humiliating Triton in a fight.

THE TITANS OF MYTH: A prominent part of The Return of Donna Troy, and the mentors of Donna & her friends in one version of her backstory. There were way too many of them, so no fans really felt for any one of them. Themis was a villainess in a Teen Titans story in the '80s, and shown to be the mother of Lilith Clay at that point.

HERACLES: Retrofitted in as an antagonist, given the real myth between him and Hippolyta, where he swiped her Girdle after seducing her. This is made even darker in WW mythos, where the Amazons were raped & defiled by Herc's army, but he was punished for this for thousands of years, being made to hold up Paradise Island while he was tortured. He later apologized and everyone made good. He & Hippolyta even became CONSENTING lovers this time! Boy, that probably wouldn't be written today. John Byrne used him in an antagonistic role, apparently.

God, he looks like such a dingus.

HERMES: Smart-ass messenger god. Killed by Circe during the War of the Gods.

HECATE: Ancient Goddess of Witchcraft. Stepped down and gave her own live and power to Circe, before abandoning her and trying to possess Wonder Woman. This failed and she dissipated.

ZEUS: The King of the Gods, and member of the Quintessence (with other wise, white-haired figures... and the Phantom Stranger). At one point, he becomes enamored with Wonder Woman, infuriating the Goddesses, especially when he threatens Diana for refusing his advances. He forces her to undertake "The Challenge of the Gods" as a result. Later revealed as the father of Cassie Sandsmark. In the New 52, he was revealed as DIANA's father. Generally-speaking, he's a non-stop whiny, rageaholic asshole.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.