Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dragon Man! Occulus! Impossible Man! Annihilus!)

Post by MacynSnow »

You know, i alway's thought Annihilus shoulda been the FF's archenemy and Not Doom. Fit the motif better imho...

Did you know an alternatie version of Annihilus had a thing going with Blink? True, it was Age of Apocalypse, but still !...
Orbiter

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dragon Man! Occulus! Impossible Man! Annihilus!)

Post by Orbiter »

I love Annihilus. It's almost a shame that his introduction is so tied to Franklin, since "I have to do something with Franklin" is the single idea that most causes FF writers to do terrible, terrible stories.
Jabroniville

Blastaar the Living Bomb-Burst

Post by Jabroniville »

BLASTAAR THE LIVING BOMB-BURST
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #62 (May 1967)
Role: Filler Villain, The OTHER Big Negative Zone Threat
Group Affiliations: The Frightful Four, The Aliens of the Negative Zone
PL 12 (177)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (Dictator) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 10 (+11)
Perception 2 (+2)
Technology 6 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Blasts) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Trance

Powers:
"Raw Strength" Power-Lifting 1 (400 tons) [1]

"Dense Hide"
Immunity 4 (Heat, Cold, Radiation, Pressure) [4]
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 7) [10]

"Suspended Animation" Immunity 4 (Starvation & Thirst, Vacuum, Suffocation 2) (Flaws: Side-Effect; Immobile -2) [1]

"Living Bomb-Burst"
"Bomb-Burst" Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (44) -- [46]
  • AE: "Escape Velocity" Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (18)
  • AE: Blast 14 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (36)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Bomb-Burst +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Blast +8 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +14 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Blastaar is nothing more than a simple conqueror- his motivations are easily-understood.
Temper- Blastaar is quick to rage, and lives up to his name.
Reputation (Dictator)- Blastaar's native Baluurians threw the bum out years ago, and he's been trying to re-take his home planet ever since.
Relationship (Family)- Blastaar's wife Nyglar, his father, and even his son Burstaar all hate him.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 62 / Defenses: 13 (177)

"The OTHER Negative Zone Guy":
-Blastaar's been through the wringer as a C-League Fantastic Four opponent- pretty much his entire existence is either being a one-off threat, or as "the other guy" in a partnership. He's 100% a one-note nothing character- just a fun name and simple concept- an angry, conquering blowhard with energy blasts who is just enough of a threat to be dangerous.

-Blastaar showed up in the Negative Zone during one of Reed Richards' little travels, having been deposed as King of Baluur for being a cruel tyrant. He was locked in a Life Support Coma by them, but broke loose, spotting Reed almost immediately. He followed Reed back to Earth, where he fought with Sandman and the FF until being driven back to the Negative Zone. Like, it was a ridiculously-fillery storyline for one single issue, and it was fine for that. He's always fulfilled that role as a guy who was pretty tough, hit hard, and was a threat, but never really a BIG storyline deal- he just kind of gets trotted out here and there for a one-off- his foes include the FF, Avengers & Thor. He was rendered comatose somehow, and was revived by a human who made him fight the Hulk & Torch for some reason. He was locked in adamantium and sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, but returned to fight the Inhumans.

-Finally, he joined the OTHER Negative Zone ruler, Annihilus, and challenged Earth's heroes. He used the Super-Adaptoid in his quest to regain Baluur's throne, but his wife summoned the Thing & Avengers to stop him. He finally regained the throne and tried to take the ENTIRE Negative Zone, this time fighting Annihilus. A warfleet invaded Earth, but he & Annihilus fought until Blastaar's subordinate, Tanjaar, paralyzed him. Later, he overthrew the Eternals, but the Avengers beat him.

-As the second-tier Negative Zone guy, he was a natural for Annihilation, but was a mere backgrounder in a supporting role. He fought against Annihilus, then did some other stuff, and killed his own father, who wanted to keep their kingdom a peaceful, scientific one. Blastaar, of course, is the embodiment of wasteful battle, often fighting for combat's own sake. He was easily captured and tortured by the Phalanx in Annihilation: Conquest- he dies without giving them any information. With Annihilus reduced to an infant state, a revived Blastaar instead tried to conquer the regular universe, but again got his ass kicked numerous times, most-recently by the Annihilators (aka the team of characters so powerful that RONAN THE ACCUSER was the weakling of the group). This is pretty much his new lot in life- occasionally a king & conqueror, but still just a backgrounder. Fine for the likes of him- I mean, he STARTED as a one-off threat.

The Bomb-Burst:
-Blastaar's pretty hardcore, being a PL 12 Blaster. It's one HELL of a Blast, able to break nearly anybody, and the guy also has All-Out & Power Attack to deal extra punishment with high-level Energy. Plus a giant Area Effect that can bring down an entire team of Avengers (sans-Thor or Hercules) in one shot. He's based almost entirely around battle, mixing Thing-level Strength with his super-Blast, but has a unique trick in that he can always go into Suspended Animation.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Re: Blastaar the Living Bomb-Burst

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:29 pm Image
This one looks like an edgy fan-made Thundercats character
FuzzyBoots

Re: Nathaniel Richards

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:17 am NATHANIEL RICHARDS

Franklin was supposed to marry Rachel Summers and have a child who would become the super-villain Hyperstorm and destroy the world. So Franklin was aged-up to adulthood to avoid this.
"I must make sure that Franklin will not have sex with this woman who is at least a decade his senior, so I will abduct him and age him up to a horomonal teenager... Oh. Dang it."
MacynSnow

Re: Nathaniel Richards

Post by MacynSnow »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:39 am
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:17 am NATHANIEL RICHARDS

Franklin was supposed to marry Rachel Summers and have a child who would become the super-villain Hyperstorm and destroy the world. So Franklin was aged-up to adulthood to avoid this.
"I must make sure that Franklin will not have sex with this woman who is at least a decade his senior, so I will abduct him and age him up to a horomonal teenager... Oh. Dang it."
Great Minds always miss simple awnsers; get him a Girlfriend when he hit's teen years(that's NOT Rachel!), then kill off Rachel. Instant fix & he might get a great-grandchild out of it...
Jabroniville

Syphonn

Post by Jabroniville »

SYPHONN
Created By:
Tom Lyle
First Appearance: Warlock #1 (Nov. 1998)
Role: Filler Villain
Group Affiliations: The Aliens of the Negative Zone

-Syphonn is a random guy who shows up in the first four issues of a Warlock series in the late 1990s- he uses the skeleton of Captain Mar-Vell to kill his beloved Elysius in a weird case of writing out a forgotten character, and frames Drax the Destroyer for the crime. He is revealed as a leader of the Negative Zone, allying with Annihilus & Blastaar in an attempt to invade the normal universe. Warlock and his Infinity Watch arrive and attack- Syphonn manages to steal his Soul Gem, but Annihilus & Blastaar, realizing he's planning on betraying them, do the deed first. Beaten and without allies, Syphonn attempts a last-ditch effort in using the Soul Gem on Adam Warlock, but proves to be unable to control it- the Gem turns on him and he flees to save his soul from being drawn in.

-Syphonn is "Vaguely Powerful Space Guy"- he can shoot energy-draining spikes from his hands, and reanimate dead bodies (like Mar-Vell's skeleton) and control minds as well. The energy he absorbs empowers himself.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Occulus! Impossible Man! Annihilus! Blastaar!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Wow... That guy just oozes with “Nineties Sketch Pad Character” energy. It’s like they made him entirely out of rejected spare parts of Stryfe and Kain.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:06 am Wow... That guy just oozes with “Nineties Sketch Pad Character” energy. It’s like they made him entirely out of rejected spare parts of Stryfe and Kain.
Practically, but at least the Ropey things are kinda neat....
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:06 am Wow... That guy just oozes with “Nineties Sketch Pad Character” energy. It’s like they made him entirely out of rejected spare parts of Stryfe and Kain.
Welcome back to my thread :)!

Almost all of the FF-related characters created in the '90s are like that, sadly. I just went through Devos & Occulus, both of whom reek of that energy, too.

(now I wanna bug you to go and read the Disney Builds you missed me post, lol)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Your mileage may vary.
Jabroniville

Hyperstorm

Post by Jabroniville »

HIDEOUS. Look at all this garbage. Big flowing cape. Long hair. Mask that doesn't look like it's supposed to be anything. Random design elements that serve no purpose. A half-dozen bird implements to reflect his mother, the Phoenix, but like... scattered all over the costume. "Villain Gloves". It's like the '90s just threw up its worst villain design tropes on him.

HYPERSTORM (Jonathan Richards)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Paul Ryan
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #406 (Nov. 1995)
Group Affiliations: None
Role: Future Villain, Reality Warper
PL 20 (450)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+10)
Expertise (History) 10 (+16)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 6 (+10)
Technology 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Benefit 6 (Future Dictator), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Cosmic Force"
Flight 10 (2,000 mph) [20]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]
Senses 7 (Detect Energy- Ranged 4, Acute, Analytical) [7]
"Cosmic Sight" Senses 7 (Extended Vision 4, Microvision, Analytical Vision) [7]
Senses 4 (Precognition) [4]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]

"Phenomenal Cosmic Power!"
"Restructure Reality" Transform 55 (Anything to Anything) (Extras: Continuous) (275) -- [283]
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Stream" Damage 20 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 500ft. Line +5, Selective) (142)
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Burst" Damage 20 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 500ft. Burst +5, Selective) (142)
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Wave" Damage 20 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 1,000ft. Cone +5, Selective) (142)
  • Dynamic AE: "Cosmic Blast" Blast 28 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy, Extended Range 6, Indirect 4, Penetrating 14) (82)
  • Dynamic AE: "All-Reaching Blast" Blast 20 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy, Indirect, Penetrating 14) (Extras: Perception Range) (78)
  • Dynamic AE: Force Field 15 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others 20, Impervious 23) (58)
  • AE: "Create Worlds" Create 25 (Feats: Innate, Precise, Increased Mass 20) (Extras: Movable, Continuous) (121)
  • AE: "Capable of Nearly Any Effect" Variable (Cosmic) 30 (210)
  • AE: Teleport 20 (Feats: Increased Mass 10) (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (90)
  • AE: Movement 9 (Dimensional Travel 3, Time Travel 3, Space Travel 3) (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Attack 20, Area- 500ft. Burst +5 on 20 Ranks) (23)
  • AE: "Move The Stars Themselves" Move Object 40 (262,144,000,000 tons) (Extras: Perception Range) (120)
  • AE: "Teleport Others" Teleport 20 (Feats: Increased Mass 5) (Extras: Attack, Ranged) (85)
  • AE: "Sense Energy" Senses 22 (Detect Energy- Ranged 17- 1,600 trillion miles, Acute & Analytical, Tracking) (22)
  • AE: "Sense Life" Senses 22 (Detect Life- Ranged 17- 1,600 trillion miles, Tracking) (22)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Cosmic Blast +8 (+28 Ranged Damage, DC 43)
Cosmic Waves +20 Area (+20 Damage, DC 35)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+19 Force Field), Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Power)

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 333 / Defenses: 16 (450)

-Dear GOD- this is just the worst villain design in history. It's just so completely thoughtless, and drawn from the "Generic Villain Tropes" of the early 1990s. A generic outfit with no cohesive "concept"- just lines and assorted design bits thrown about at random. A big necklace with a huge, flowing cape. A mask that's... just got stuff on it. Long hair. Big gauntlets. Kneepads. It's like someone looked at what the Image guys were doing and was like "That's what's popular, right? That's what we should do, right?". It seems like there were a billion of these areseholes in 1990s comics- every one of them packing the same big, flowing cape, alongside a weird mask and a penchant for idiotic posing. Like, right away you know that this is some wannabe Uber-Villain and you should ignore him.

-Hyperstorm is supposed to be the big "Master Villain" behind much of Tom DeFalco's Fantastic Four run. He's such a wannabe he has uber-ness baked right into him- he's the son of the Franklin Richards & Rachel Summers of the future! He rules his own timeline as a dictator! He has ALL THE POWERS! He's so scary that Nathaniel Richards comes to the past to age Franklin up so he can never father this boy! Eventually, Hyperstorm was all "NUH-uh!" and took the FF captive, but they and Doctor Doom teamed up to stop him, but he easily stopped them and basically said "I knew you were gonna try that, but I let you anyways- I can stop you any time I want." In the end, the FF tried to ally with Galactus to stop Hyperstorm- he arrived back in the FF's time to stop them, but Galactus awoke and began to use Hyperstorm as a source of power to consume. Galactus & Hyperstorm were thus sent into a pocket dimension in order to seal away their power... Galactus has obviously returned since then, but Hyperstorm's fate has never been explained (ie. the writers switched and the next guy didn't care).

-Hyperstorm, like sooooooo many powerful '90s villains, has the ability to alter reality and use psionics, so he's basically a composite of his parents. Though to be fair, an Evil Franklin Richards is a terrifying threat. He's powerful enough that only GALACTUS could stop him, and his being from the future meant that you could also never surprise him. He throws out PL 18 Cosmic Blasts, PL 20 Area Effects, and is PL 15 defensively- theoretically beatable by groups of Earth heroes (a LOT of them, at high levels), but he's almost guaranteed to walk away with the win.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Impossible Man! Annihilus! Blastaar! Hyperstorm!)

Post by Batgirl III »

It's honestly amazing to me, sometimes, that any of us emerged from the Nineties and still remained comic book fans.
MacynSnow

Re: Hyperstorm

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:24 am Image

HIDEOUS. Look at all this garbage. Big flowing cape. Long hair. Mask that doesn't look like it's supposed to be anything. Random design elements that serve no purpose. A half-dozen bird implements to reflect his mother, the Phoenix, but like... scattered all over the costume. "Villain Gloves". It's like the '90s just threw up its worst villain design tropes on him.
I actually like the Base Costume design myself. Remove the "Not Hiding Jack-all" Mask and use just two colors(Fire Red& Baby Blue work best with this, but keep the Gold belt as a nice offset) and it'd work!

Hyperstorm was sadly a missed Opertunity imho. To little thought was given in regard to his Power set that they just got lazy and just dumped a bunch on him. It's sad to me, as his Storyline and Character coulda been intresting(at least for a sub-story).But, to quote the Late great Marlon Brando:
"You don't understand. I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender.I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what i am.Let's face it."
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Impossible Man! Annihilus! Blastaar! Hyperstorm!)

Post by Goldar »

I didn't even realize he had Phoenix elements on his costume!

What is up with the ugly skull belt? The mask, while not only odd, would not even be needed in his timeline (with all of his power, who is he hiding from?) and the gloves look like he stole them from the Black Knight's closet.