Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Impossible Man! Annihilus! Blastaar! Hyperstorm!)

Post by Goldar »

I see what you mean, BGIII. But he made Adam West way too trim and fit. The guy had a case of all-over man-pooch.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

:lol: I have missed you, BG III!
Jabroniville

The Molecule Man

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MOLECULE MAN (Owen Reece)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #20 (Nov. 1963)
Role: Wimpy God
PL 19 (334)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 8 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Molecular Control"
Force Field 15 (Extras: Impervious 9) [24]
"Reconstitution" Immortality 1 (1 month) [2]
Senses 7 (Detect Energy- Ranged 4, Acute, Analytical) [7]

Transform (Anything to Anything Else) 20 (Extras: Continuous) [120]

"Contains Massive Cosmic Energy"
Variable (Cosmic) 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (113) -- [137]
  • Dynamic AE: "Disintegration" Blast 23 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Energy, Extended Range 4, Indirect, Penetrating 8) Linked to Weaken Toughness 16 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects) (109)
  • Dynamic AE: "Power Beam" Blast 28 (Feats: Accurate, Variable 2- Any Energy, Extended Range 4, Indirect, Penetrating 8) (72)
  • Dynamic AE: Flight 15 (64,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (31)
  • Dynamic AE: Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) (Feats: Dynamic, Increased Mass 20) (Extras: Affects Others) (27)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 25 (800,000 tons) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (76)
  • Dynamic AE: Force Field 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 14, Affects Others 10) (35)
  • Dynamic AE: Create 25 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Movable, Continuous) (101)
  • Dynamic AE: Alter Others 20 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed Form or Mind) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (61)
  • Dynamic AE: "Energy Stream" Damage 19 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 500ft. Line +5) (98)
  • Dynamic AE: "Energy Burst" Damage 19 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 500ft. Burst +5) (93)
  • Dynamic AE: "Energy Wave" Damage 19 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy) (Extras: Area- 1,000ft. Cone +5) (93)
  • Dynamic AE: "All-Reaching Blast" Blast 19 (Feats: Dynamic, Variable 2- Any Energy, Indirect, Penetrating 14) (Extras: Perception Range) (75)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Disintegration +6 (+23 Ranged Damage & +16 Ranged Weaken, DC 38 & 26)
Power Beam +8 (+28 Ranged Damage, DC 43)
Alter Others +6 (+20 Ranged Affliction, DC 30)
Area Blasts +19 (+19 Damage, DC 34)
All-Reaching Blast -- (+19 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 34)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1 (+16 Force Field, +26 Full Field, +5-12 Impervious), Fortitude +2, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Marsha Rosenberg, aka Volcana)- The two formed a codependent, wimpy partnership, but broke up years ago.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 292 / Defenses: 10 (334)

The Molecule Man- One-Off Threat to the Ultimate Excuse Plot:
-The Molecule Man was actually crazy minor for a character that is so overwhelmingly powerful- I think his nebbish personality has held him back, given that he's as powerful as many Cosmic Beings and more powerful than any Godly Pantheon's character. And he's an early one, too- Fantastic Four #20! TALK about the Super-Power Lottery- the vastly-powerful bastard got MOLECULAR CONTROL. This means he can literally do anything he wants, with any THING he wants, and nobody can really stop him. All that from a simple lab accident? You'd think everyone in the UNIVERSE would be trying to replicate it after that nonsense. The fact that he was a wimpy, weak-willed Mama's Boy who felt angry at the world after his mother's death of course gave him the trademark "Stan Lee Touch"- all the power in the world, but without the mentality to properly use it. Balance via character flaws.

-And of course, as a Lee/Kirby creation, he had a dozen Achilles Heels, such as a focus on a Wand for his power, and an inability to affect organic matter, but these all got dropped years later as a "Power Creep" set in and characters got increasingly-powerful. In his first appearance, he tried to kill his old boss for firing him, and The Watcher contacted the Fantastic Four as to the dire threat Reece's powers posed (The Watcher? INTERFERING? You don't say!). He easily defeated the FF, and created a massive barrier around Manhattan, but they outsmarted him- realizing that he could not affect organic materials, they disguised themselves as statues in Alicia Masters's studio, and when he found himself unable to affect them, he dropped his Wand in shock and was beaten.

-Reece disappeared for a number of years (actually an entire decade, pretty much), having been imprisoned within another dimension by the Watcher (translation: "WHOOPS, we made this villain too powerful"). He later "died", transferring his consciousness and powers into the Wand and gave it to an artificial "son" he had created. When the wand was taken from him during a fight with The Thing & Man-Thing (I'm sensing this was a Marvel Two-In-One story), he disintegrated. This later led to the Wand itself carrying massive powers, as Reece could take over the minds of anyone who touched it- such as a woman who found it and then fought Iron Man.

The Molecule Man Returns:
-Eventually, in the 1980s, Reece reconstituted himself and took the powers of the Wand into himself so he was no longer limited by it, but was convinced by Tigra to give up and seek psychiatric help rather than destroy the world. He was ready to reform... but then ended up transported to Battleworld during Secret Wars. Here, he was easily-led by the charismatic, forceful Doctor Doom, who used Owen as his primary minion. He also hooked up with Volcana for an adorably-co-dependent relationship, argued a bit with his bull-headed teammates (though they started cheering him on when he showcased his raw power, in a bit that was almost sweet as much as it was bull-headed, as these louts only appreciated hitting power), and started throwing out some CRAZY Power Feats. Y'know that giant mountain range that Hulk famously held off, rescuing the assembled heroes trapped beneath it? Guess who THREW IT at them?

-Though Reece feels betrayed by Doom, the monarch convinces him to overcome his weaknesses (his barrier against affecting organics is thus gone) and he simply flees Battleworld with the various super-villains. Later, in Secret Wars II, he helped out the heroes against The Beyonder, but failed- he nearly died saving the planet from a massive Cosmic Blast. However, when the Beyonder attempted to gain some humanity by taking mortal form, Owen killed him while growing in an infant body and sent his cosmic energies through a dimensional portal (where they formed the New Universe). Owen later fixed parts of the planet wrecked by the villain after he was defeated- he pretended his powers were nullified and retired to the suburbs with his beloved Volcana.

Post-Jim Shooter-Era Owen:
-He was largely-absent for all of the '90s books I read, but apparently showed up a bit- he was once merged with the Beyonder in order to create a new Cosmic Cube (the one which became "Kosmos"), broke up with Volcana (who disliked the "darkness" she saw in him), and was beaten by Aron the Rogue Watcher. By this point, he was largely-benevolent, but could still unleash his dark side. At one point, this dark side unleashed itself and draws the Beyonder from Kosmos and nearly kills him, but Kubik (another Cube) and Owen stop it so that the peaceful Kosmos can stay alive.

-However, he was one of NUMEROUS continuity-breaking characters who showed up without explanation in The Raft in New Avengers #1, showing up in modern times at last. He shows up living in seclusion, but is killed by the Sentry after first blowing the guy up (Sentry, of course, reforms quickly). This was it for Reece for a while... but he showed up in the NEW Secret Wars, having been the secret method by which Doctor Doom defeated the Beyonders (no relation to The Beyonder), who were attempting to destroy the Multiverse. It was revealed that the Molecule Man of each reality acts as a "bomb" that can wipe out that entire Universe- he and Doom kill the Beyonders using these same powers, and set up God Emperor Doom as the ruler of the new "Battleworld".

-Reece, now mentally-deranged thanks to all of the multiversal shenanigans (translation: High-end, famous comic book writer still wants to write "Crazy Goofy Fishmalk Dialogue"), but with power enough to basically do anything, was instrumental in Doom's defeat- he reduced Doom's powers against Reed Richards during their personal battle, and when Doom found himself forced to admit that Reed Richards would have been a better "God" than he, Reece nullified Doom's powers ENTIRELY, and bestowed them upon Reed, who used them to remake the old universe. The best bit is still Miles Morales, an exile from the "Ultimate" universe who was now orphaned in a new reality, giving him a hamburger he'd been saving, as Reece was constantly hungry. Then, after all the Big Serious Stuff goes down and Miles is contemplating his place in things, Owen's just like "I owe you one"- Miles finds his entire family has been transferred over. So they handwaved something in the greatest possible "A wizard did it" manner possible.

-Reece is not seen again until a Future Foundation story that sees him living on another world. He recognizes that Franklin Richards's mutant powers are depleting, but is quickly killed by "The Griever at the End of All Things", and her "Endlings" feed off of his energies. No idea what any of that is, but alright. I assume this is just cleaning up some loose ends because this guy is IMMENSELY powerful to just leave sitting around doing nothing.

Molecule Man Overall:
-This guy's a bit tricky to get a handle on. The vast power combined with the meek personality is actually a good bit, and makes for some fun stories- he's a legitimate highlight of the first Secret Wars, and his inferiority complex is a fun contrast to the fact that he can beat anyone. He was probably correctly ignored by the 1960s writers as too mighty for the Marvel Universe at the time, but once a cosmology was formed he was okay enough. It wasn't like writers were Fanwanking with him. But then anything after 2000 is just a mess, with him being "Random Crazy Uber-God", which is a terrifying, but tiresome, character archetype. Without his relationship with Volcana, he has almost no humanity left, and he was hilariously pretty much just a mindless prop in Doom's attempts at wiping out the Beyonders and becoming God-Doom- he had nearly zero agency of his own and was just a means to an end. Like, this dude with "Random Words = Funny" dialogue could easily kill the guys that just wiped out every Cosmic Being at Marvel?

The Molecule Man's Might:
-A nigh-Cosmic character, Molecule Man is a PL 19 with all kinds of damage effects, Area-based and otherwise. How powerful is he? He apparently once disintegrated CAPTAIN AMERICA'S SHIELD. And Silver Surfer's Board. And Mjolnir. And Iron Man's Armour. He's THAT powerful. He's pretty much PL X at times (the DEFINITION of it, in fact), but like I said with the Cosmic Builds- PL X is for QUITTERS. He's got a big structure of powers based off of his key Blast, but also has Variable Power since he can do whatever he wants on that front anyways. He's virtually unkillable, but his base Stats are so meek and useless that anyone could get a lucky shot if he wasn't paying attention, and totally do away with him. Unless he unlocks his full power, at which point he's basically a Cosmic Cube. By Secret Wars III, he could basically do anything, ever, and defeated a bunch of beings that killed the LIVING TRIBUNAL, which would effectively put Owen around PL 55-60 at least.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Hyperstorm

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:28 pm I was thinking the same thing. Aside from the goofy mask, it's not a bad costume.
My issue is it's just a collection of "1990s Villain Costume Tropes". EVERYONE from that era was packing design elements like this. Often with random ornate bits, usually as shoulder pads or belts. Like, Hyperstorm has a huge, detailed thing hanging from his neck, AND a cloak on his cape! It's too much all in one, and too plain in other parts!

Check Exodus:

Reinfire:

And of course the infamous Stryfe:

Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Hyperstorm

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:23 am
Shock wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:28 pm I was thinking the same thing. Aside from the goofy mask, it's not a bad costume.
My issue is it's just a collection of "1990s Villain Costume Tropes". EVERYONE from that era was packing design elements like this. Often with random ornate bits, usually as shoulder pads or belts.

Check Exodus:

We're not saying that they didn't Over do it(like all Edgelords do), we just think that, with some tweeking, it'dve made a Good Costume for a Major Hero or Villian(Green/Black for Villian; Red/Blue for Hero. What? Those little kid's weren't Wrong you know!)...
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Annihilus! Hyperstorm! Darla Deering! Molecule Man!)

Post by Batgirl III »

I actually think that Exodus manages to make the Nineties Arch-Villain costume work. It’s overly elaborate and kinda impractical, but it’s more coherent in its design than a lot of the others. I could see something like it in Dune or a Final Fantasy type setting.

He doesn’t work for me as a character, but that’s a different thing.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:28 am I actually think that Exodus manages to make the Nineties Arch-Villain costume work. It’s overly elaborate and kinda impractical, but it’s more coherent in its design than a lot of the others. I could see something like it in Dune or a Final Fantasy type setting.

He doesn’t work for me as a character, but that’s a different thing.
Yeah, his & Hyperstorm's have that "Regal" look to 'em the rest seem to lack. I even think Exodus would've made a good X-Force Mega Villian if he hadn't been treated so poorly. But, that's already been explained in my Hyperstorm comment that started the Fashion discussion...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

DANG, look at the Angela Belti art I just found:

STRONK.
Jabroniville

Volcana

Post by Jabroniville »

If they were aiming for "slightly overweight", they kinda missed the mark.

VOLCANA (Marsha Rosenberg)
Created By:
Jim Shooter & Mike Zeck
First Appearance: Secret Wars #3 (July 1984)
Role: Blaster, Weepy Woman
PL 10 (132)
STRENGTH
2/11 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+1)
Expertise (Day Care Worker) 4 (+4)
Insight 4 (+3)
Intimidation 5 (+4)
Perception 4 (+3)
Persuasion 4 (+3)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
Alternate Form 1 (Magma) (75) -- [77]
  • AE: Alternate Form 2 (Volcanic Ash) (53)
  • AE: Alternate Form 3 (Volcanic Basalt) (47)
"Magma Form"
"Volcanic Blast" Blast 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 8) (40) -- (44)
  • Dynamic AE: "Volcanic Stream" Damage 10 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: Magma Aura 6 (total 10) (25)
Magma Aura 4 (16)
"Magma Shield" Force Field 6 (Extras: Impervious 3) (9)
Immunity 6 (Fire & Heat Damage, Heat) (6)
-- (75 points)

"Volcanic Ash Form"
Insubstantial 2 (10)
Immunity 8 (Fire & Heat Damage, Heat, Suffocation 2) (8)
Flight 2 (8 mph) (4)
"Suffocation" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Progressive +2, Area- 30ft Cloud +2) (50)
  • AE: Concealment (Visuals) 2 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Attack) (10)
-- (53 points)

"Volcanic Basalt Form"
"High Density" Enhanced Strength 9 (18)
Protection 7 (Extras: Impervious 5) (13)
Features 3: Increased Mass 3 (3)
Immunity 13 (Fire & Heat Effects, Heat, Suffocation 2) (13)
-- (47 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Basalt Form +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Volcanic Blast +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Volcanic Stream +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Magma Aura +7 (+4-10 Damage, DC 19-25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+10 Basalt, +9 Magma Shield), Fortitude +6, Will +3

Complications:
Relationship (Owen Reece, The Molecule Man)- The two formed a codependent, wimpy partnership, but broke up years ago.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 77 / Defenses: 8 (132)

-Volcana's a character that debuted in Secret Wars (alongside Spider-Woman II & Titania II), but unlike the others, she never really stuck around as a major character. In fact, I'd never even heard of the character until I went on my first mass-purchase of old "classic" TPBs (there were none of those books around when I first got into comics, so I could only hear about them reverently in Wizard Magazine until my adulthood), and saw her in it. It's rather sad, because I kinda liked this character. Instead of your usual bodacious, arrogant babe, you had a weak-willed, mousy girl who was always nervous (ie. dork bait), hooking up with the nerdiest, skinniest guy around (again, a total dork-bait storyline), and she was a classic case of a "Villain who was secretly good". They could've gone places with her being the Stormer of the Marvel Universe- a nice girl being pushed into evil by her rotten friends, but instead Marvel jerked Molecule Man between life & death a few times, Marsha broke up with him, and we never really saw much of her again.

-Volcana debuted with Titania as a pair of normal women empowered by Doctor Doom, who was seeking more allies in the "Secret War" on the Beyonder's Battleworld (a section of Denver, Colorado had been placed there). She fought on Doom's side, faced the cruel put-downs of the Wrecking Crew (who took her barrel-chested, zaftig physique for being cow-like, though the artists really just made her shaped like Christina Hendricks, rather than even your standard BBW), and grew closer with the wimpy, nervous Owen "Molecule Man" Reese. The two were a bit co-dependent, but it was kind of cute watching these two wimps coo over each other. She returned to Earth with the others, and even convinced Owen to battle the Beyonder in Secret Wars II, leading to his defeat, but was left behind when Reese merged with the Beyonder inside a Cosmic Cube.

-Volcana later does some superhero stuff (fighting the Wizard & Moonstone), but once the Molecule Man returns, she breaks up with him- unable to deal with his "dark side". Owen at times attempted to win back her affection through various means, like helping her defeat Crystal during the wedding of Titania to the Absorbing Man, and carving her face in Mount Rushmore (humorously, she doesn't suspect him as the culprit). She then largely gets forgotten as Jim Shooter leaves Marvel and his creations have nothing to do- she doesn't appear at ALL between then and Fear Itself, and even then she's a backgrounder- she later gets hired along with Titania to fight She-Hulk.

-Her body just makes me laugh, though. Her own shyness, and comments from other characters, imply that she's supposed to be somewhat overweight. The artist clearly tried to "show" this... by giving her huge breasts and super-wide hips, but giving her an identical waistline to all the other women. So instead of a slightly chubby girl, we have a super-tall Amazon with INCREDIBLE proportions, along with a perfect exaggerated hourglass figure. Yeah... that's not exactly what a "chubby girl" looks like in real life.

-Volcana's a fun little Alternate Form build. Her basic, most common form is her basic Magma Form, allowing her to be a Blaster-type with a really powerful Energy Aura. Two other Alternate Forms allow her to choke people or block their vision (Ash Form), or just be a PL 9 super-strong Brick (Basalt Form). She's far better off just sticking to her best power, though- a +12 Penetrating Blast is nothing to sneeze at.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Re: Volcana

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:27 pm and she was a classic case of a "Villain who was secretly good". They could've gone places with her being the Stormer of the Marvel Universe- a nice girl being pushed into evil by her rotten friends,
... <takes notes>
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:31 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:27 pm and she was a classic case of a "Villain who was secretly good". They could've gone places with her being the Stormer of the Marvel Universe- a nice girl being pushed into evil by her rotten friends,
... <takes notes>
....<starts copying Davies' notes over her shoulder> :P
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:50 pm
... <takes notes>
....<starts copying Davies' notes over her shoulder> :P
His.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:27 pm Image
VOLCANA (Marsha Rosenberg)
Dude, quite drooling over my Marvel Wifefu, i JUST got her back from Wimpy Owen!...
In the 17-1800's, Marsha would've been considered Gorgeous & Perfect as anyone considered "Overweight" meant that they had the money/standing to eat more than 1 meal a day.Me, being a Coniesuer of the Western Genre and Time period, appreciates a "Big Bodied Woman" ^u^
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:50 pm
... <takes notes>
....<starts copying Davies' notes over his shoulder> :P
Edit:sorry, my bad.