Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Annihilus! Hyperstorm! Darla Deering! Molecule Man!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Baby got back!
When it comes to heroines,
Wizard ain't got nothin'
To do with Jab’s selection.
Forty-six, thirty-four, forty-six?
Ha ha, only if she's 7'3”!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I am wondering if/how are Volcanna's powers different than Magma's powers? The looks are different---does that mean different abilities?

Is Volcanna's lava form the same as Magma's? Can Marsha do the same things that Amara can do?

What about for their solid rock forms? Are they identical in powers?
Last edited by Goldar on Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:13 pm Baby got back!
Wizard ain't got nothin'
...<Gives standing Ovation>
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Goldar wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:27 pm I am wondering how are Volcanna's powers different than Magma's powers?

Is Volcanna's lava form the same as Magma's? Can Marsha do the same things that Amara can abdo?

Magma's rock form is actually Stronger than Volcanna's, as Amara's is a natural mutation while my beloved Marsha's is a result of Cosmic Ray Exposure.

There Lava form's are technically the same, but Volcanna has more Control than Magma does in it.

If Amara had trained more with her power while a New Mutant, she could've become an Ash form the same as Volcanna can as, functionally at least, they have the same Power Build.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Doesn’t Magma get weaker if separated from solid ground?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Hoid wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:15 pm Doesn’t Magma get weaker if separated from solid ground?
Yep, that's why technically Volcanna's Stronger than Magma but has a weaker Rock form.
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

I'm not sure what good storytelling could be derived from it, but I'd like to see Owen and Marsha get back together. Perhaps instead of her thinking she can "fix" what's effectively a half-mad cosmic principle via mutually enabling each other by playing house, the two could lean into Owen's power and have adventures in space atop a whipped up illogical dream ship. While Volcana's criminal tendencies are more a matter of inertia than intent she is prone to bad decision making, but given the right environment and some freedom to stumble she's capable of becoming downright heroic. Honestly I think the two characters would have been a better fit in Slott/Allred's Silver Surfer than Norrin and Dawn; the goofiness in that run could have stood a little examination of emotional dysfunction to offset the camp (not to mention MIke's line weight affectation). I like my Silver Surfer brooding and unable to relate to those around him, and my voluptuous lavawomen stealing a few moments of happiness while learning to be better.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Dial back Molecule Man’s powers from “nigh omnipotent” to just “really freakin’ powerful.” Give Volcana a bit more backbone so she can stand up to the bad influences of her super-criminal friends... And you’ve got a great foundation for a limited series.

I know, because DC has already done it:

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:13 pm Baby got back!
Wizard ain't got nothin'
LOL! Nice. You remembered what I like! I’m flattered :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:27 pm I am wondering if/how are Volcanna's powers different than Magma's powers? The looks are different---does that mean different abilities?

Is Volcanna's lava form the same as Magma's? Can Marsha do the same things that Amara can do?

Magma gains her powers from the earth- they involve earthquake generation as well.
Jabroniville

Lucia Von Bardas

Post by Jabroniville »

LUCIA VON BARDAS
Created By:
Brian Michael Bendis & Gabrielle Dell'Otto
First Appearance: Secret War #1 (Feb. 2004)
Role: Newbie (ish) Character
Group Affiliations: Latveria
PL 8 (113)
STRENGTH
1/4 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise (Politics) 7 (+10)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Technology 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (World Leader)

Powers:
"Cyborg Body"
Enhanced Strength 3 [6]
Protection 3 [3]
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Force Field 4 [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+7 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Weakness (Cybernetics)- Lucia's cybernetics are easily hackable by Doctor Doom, Ironheart's "Assistant A.I." and others.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 14 (113)

-Lucia Von Bardas came out of nowhere in an early 2000s Bendis comic called Secret War that apparently has a lot of after-effects on his later work, though I myself have never read nor even HEARD much about it! She's a Latverian woman who gets elected Prime Minister after Doctor Doom is deposed- America interfered in things and helped her get elected. While seemingly kind-hearted, she is acutally funding the Tinkerer and an army of tech-based super-villains. When this is discovered by S.H.I.E.L.D., the U.S. government refuses to intrude, since they like how things are going diplomatically- as a result, Nick Fury gathers together an elite group of... Bendis's favorite characters (Cap, Luke Cage, Spidey, Daredevil- plus Black Widow, Wolverine and newbie Daisy "Quake" Johnson) to assassinate Lucia. Daisy manages to bring down Castle Doom with an earthquake, seemingly killing Lucia, but she reappears as a hideous cyborg- mauling Cage, but being beaten again by Quake. She's been seen aiding the Red Ghost on a quest to frame Dr. Doom for starting a nuclear war, and attempts to rule and rebuild Latveria again. Without Bendis around, she'll likely wither on the vine like so many other characters- her last appearance had Sharon Carter sending Ironheart after her, since S.H.I.E.L.D. lack evidence to investigate- Ironheart hacked her cybernetics.

-Lucia is a low-tier Cyborg who isn't particularly dangerous on her own.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Bardas is a bad case of "Pet Character" (Bendis), as no way could she've done what she did otherwise.

She's a "Small fish in a Big Pond" that would've been much better in Daredevil or even a relaunched Moon Knight series, where her PL was much more even with the Hero, not as a big bad in a mega event.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I actually remember Secret War. I distinctly remember waiting, every issue, for the shocking twist reveal that Nick Fury was an imposter. I mean, it was obvious, right? Surely our heroes couldn’t be working against the explicit orders of the President of the United States to undermine the legitimately elected sovereign government of a foreign nation, right? It had to be an elaborate plot by Doctor Doom (supposedly killed off for real and trapped in Hell at the time) to reclaim his throne.

But, no. That twist never came. It was really Fury.

Sure, she turned out to be a cybernetic Kill-O-Bot in the end. But, really, von Bardas is the one in the right.

Bendis has great skills as a writer of individual scenes and shorter storylines, but he’s rather ham-fisted about worldbuilding or seeing how his pet project’s plots will impact the rest of the shared universe he’s working in.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

That's been my beef with Bendis too. He also tends to make certain characters fit certain roles he need's then too. The way Nick was acting in the one would've been fine if it was the Ultimates version of Fury(tell me you couldn't picture Sam Fury doing this very thing), but OG Nick never would've even thought of it.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Oooh... Secret War would have made an epic start to a cross-over that pitted the Ultimate Marvel universe against the Earth-616 universe. With Samuel L. Fury using the attack on Latveria as a way to get a foothold in the 616 ‘verse, then a series of other manipulations and strange happenings in other books, leading to a big epic throw-down between the Ultimates and the Avengers.

But, well, we got the Aughties instead.