Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Black Bolt! Medusa! Gorgon! Triton! Karnak!)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:04 am
Sidney369 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:33 am Lockjaw of the main Marvel Universe, 616, is not part of the Pet Avengers, as that group doesn't exist in it. The Pet Avengers series are set in Earth-97161.

And officially, Lockjaw's intelligence is 2 which is human normal and the equivalent of 0 in this system.
https://www.marvel.com/characters/lockjaw/in-comics
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/F1tmQKPEwEUhb ... CtiQ=s1600
Oh, ok. I don’t think the alternate universe was explained on Wikipedia when I checked. As for his intelligence, I don’t buy it. I gave him Chimp/Dolphin-tier intellect.
Which is still higher than most editors and publishers in the comic industry today.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:59 am
As for his intelligence, I don’t buy it. I gave him Chimp/Dolphin-tier intellect.
Which is still higher than most editors and publishers in the comic industry today.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sidney369 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:33 am And officially, Lockjaw's intelligence is 2 which is human normal and the equivalent of 0 in this system.
I note there is no attribute in the Marvel Power Grid system for what M&M calls Awareness (i.e. Intuition, Common Sense, Wisdom) unless one maps those traits onto "Intelligence." Since Jab gave Lockjaw an above average Awareness score, perhaps it's best to assume that Lockjaw's Power Grid Intelligence score reflects both his animal reasoning AND his high wisdom.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Maximus the Mad

Post by Jabroniville »

MAXIMUS (Maximus Boltagon)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Fantastic Four #47 (Feb. 1966)
Role: The Prince John, The Manipulator, Recurring Villain
PL 11 (178)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 9 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 8 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+17)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Technology 9 (+18)

Advantages:
Daze (Deception), Fascinate (Deception), Equipment 10 (Laboratory), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Terrigen Mist-Given Powers: Telepathy"
"Brainwash" Affliction 11 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to New Personality) (Extras: Progressive +2, Perception Range +2) (Quirks: Reduced Range -2) (53) -- [56]
  • AE: Mind Control 11 (Feats: Mental Link, Subtle) (Extras: Sustained) (Quirks: Reduced Range -2) (44)
  • AE: Mental Blast 8 (Quirks: Reduced Range -2) (30)
  • AE: "Mental Stun" Affliction 11 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Perception Range +2) (Quirks: Reduced Range -2) (31)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Mind Control/Stun/Brainwash -- (+11 Perception Affliction, DC 21)
Mental Blast -- (+11 Perception Will Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Reputation (Madman)
Motivation/Obsession (Gaining Power)
Obsession (Medusa)
Weakness (Pollutants & Toxins)- Inhumans cannot survive for long in Earth's atmosphere without regular applications of a Serum.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 15 (178)

-Maximus is a weird, crazy villain, but ultimately falls kind of short. The story's always exactly the same: Maximus goes insane and is submissive to his brother Black Bolt, then betrays him, takes control of Attilan and does something stupid, then gets beaten by the Inhumans allying with some hero (usually the FF or the Hulk), then he goes back to being crazy and useless. That's happened about six or seven times. He's just not that great. He was much better-used in modern times as this mustache-twirlingly evil guy who nonetheless supports the Inhumans and is even LOYAL to his brother!

-When the Inhumand debuted, the Royal Family were living in exile while Maximus had already usurped the throne, and had sent the Seeker to bring the royals back so he could deal with them. But they ended up bringing the Fantastic Four back with them, and Maximus was quickly dethroned. He would later attempt another coup, freeing six Inhuman criminals (Falcona, Aireo, Stallior, Nebulo, Leonus, and Timberius), but this time, the Hulk was there to stop him. His next coup sees him put the Royal Family to sleep with "hypno-potions", but they recover and fend him off- he ends up in South America, where the Hulk beats his crew again. Backstory would reveal that he was indirectly responsible for the deaths of his parents- he didn't want Black Bolt to take the throne, and so made a deal to bring the Kree over- Black Bolt shooting down their ship caused it to crash onto their parents. The same impact causes Maximus to lose his grip on his sanity.

-Later, Black Bolt brings Maximus back to Attilan to watch over him, placing him in suspended animation. However, Gorgon objects to this "inhumane" treatment and frees him, and so Maximus suddenly reveals never-before-seen Telepathic might, taking over Attilan once more! Black Bolt and the Avengers unite to stop him this time. He feigns insanity, and his next coup involves building an android named "Omega", powered by the collective guilt of the Inhumans over using the Alpha Primitives as slaves. This time, the FF help stop him. His FOURTH coup sees him blackmail Black Bolt with the lives of Crystal & Quicksilver, demanding the throne- he tries to sell off the most powerful Inhumans to the Kree, but Black Bolt unleashes his voice, devastating Attilan and finally striking his brother down. Even later, he shows a lust for Medusa and swaps minds with Black Bolt, ruling in his body. In the Paul Jenkins Inhumans series, he plots about from within jail, almost causing Attilan to be conquererd by the United Nations. He's actually in jail for a good long while, but yet another coup takes place until Black Bolt re-conquers the city (I think even Namor has ruled his kingdom with more consistency).

-War of Kings used him as an amusing character, being quite nuts, but now an ally of the Royal Family, seemingly being "cured" from his evil tendencies (though they'd teased an evil turn here and there, it always turned out that he was doing what Medusa/Black Bolt wanted). In modern times, he's off working with Black Bolt towards sometimes-ambiguous ends, and was even allied with Namor's secret "Cabal" in the prelude to Secret Wars, helping them destroy worlds. He actually maintains this "Gleefully-Evil Ally of Good" thing for a long while, making that his new status quo (much better than "always doing coups") until he's beaten during Death of the Inhumans, placed into a "Vox" costume- Beta Ray Bill apparently kills him at story's end.

-Maximus at full power is quite dangerous, but often seems to lose them, forget he has them, etc., all because he's so crazy. At his current state in the comics, he's basically a Genius Inventor and leaves the mental powers aside. For Skills, he's sorta like Reed Richards Lite- a genius in nearly all fields (especially Technology/Mechanics), just a notch or two under the MEGA-geniuses of Marvel Comics. In combat though, he's kind of a wussy, totally dependent on his Mental Powers (all of which have shorter range than Perception- I figure it's about 50 feet or so maximum- good enough for -2 since he still doesn't actually need to roll to hit).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sidney369 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:33 am Lockjaw of the main Marvel Universe, 616, is not part of the Pet Avengers, as that group doesn't exist in it. The Pet Avengers series are set in Earth-97161.

And officially, Lockjaw's intelligence is 2 which is human normal and the equivalent of 0 in this system.
The accuracy of that is questionable, since Throg and Lockjaw were shown to be working together, as they do in Pet Avengers, in recent issues of Thor.

Re: Maximus: It's sometimes been suggested that Lex Luthor is every bit as crazy as the Joker. Setting that aside, I think Maximus is what that combination would really look like. He has all these schemes ... but he doesn't really care if they succeed or not, as long as their results entertain him, however momentarily.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Davies wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:33 am

The accuracy of that is questionable, since Throg and Lockjaw were shown to be working together, as they do in Pet Avengers, in recent issues of Thor.
But that could have been Throg-97161 from the Pet Avengers http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix6/throgpetav.htm or Throg-22385 from Secret Wars http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix8/earth22385throg.htm
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:33 am

Re: Maximus: It's sometimes been suggested that Lex Luthor is every bit as crazy as the Joker. Setting that aside, I think Maximus is what that combination would really look like. He has all these schemes ... but he doesn't really care if they succeed or not, as long as their results entertain him, however momentarily.
Yeah, Wikipedia doesn't mention Pet Avengers being out of continuity, either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockjaw_a ... t_Avengers
MacynSnow

Re: Maximus the Mad

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:28 am Image
MAXIMUS (Maximus Boltagon)
Love this look, but i hate the character. "Mind-Controlking Evil Brother" only has so many stories you can tell with it. I do like how they tossed the telepathy and made him pure Mad Scientist, as i thought it fit the character MUCH better.
Jabroniville

Maximus's Minions

Post by Jabroniville »

MAXIMUS'S MINIONS:
-This is a group of losers created in 1968 for a Hulk Annual. They were a band of Inhuman criminals who were found guilty of treason, and banished from Attilan by Black Bolt. Later, when the Hulk attacks Lockjaw, the Inhumans's mutt teleports him to the same land the criminals were banished to. Maximus the Mad recruits the entire lot of them to take over Attilan, but they begin squabbling over a super-device, and Black Bolt defeats them. He then stops a rampaging Hulk before he destroys the Inhumans's city. The group later follows Maximus around on a couple of different adventures, but their appearances are few and far between. The challenge the Hulk again, then fight the Fantastic Four, and later the Silver Surfer. Generally speaking, they're just Maximus's "Goon Squad", but they haven't appeared in years.

-The most-notable member of the team is actually AERIO of all people- he changed his name to Skybreaker, and ended up joining Force of Nature, who was an environmentalist team in The New Warriors, and even appeared as part of the "Initiative".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Medusa! Gorgon! Triton! Karnak! Maximus!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Ah, the Maximus Brigade! 90's eeeeexxxxxtttttttrrrrreeeeemmmmmeeee!!!!! Before the 90's even existed....
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Maker! Crystal! Black Bolt! Medusa!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:11 am This is where the Death of the Author concept kicks in. It doesn't (entirely) matter what Stan, Jack, Chris, or any of the other authors behind the books intended... If any given reader's interpretation was that Uncanny X-Men could be applicable to race relations, women's rights, LGBT acceptable, religious intolerance, or whatever else, then that interpretation isn't necessarily wrong.
I also think it's unlikely that a 1963 comic would be as incredibly overt with "this is about Civil Rights" as a book today might be- like a lot of the early Star Trek stuff, it could be metaphorical and "trick" people into it. Making it too explicit would probably cost them sales or bar them from selling comics in the South at that point.

As my big X-Men Overview states, the fact that the X-books were about prejudice allowed them to switch gears repeatedly as to exactly WHAT they were representing this week, as they gained eternal relevance.
Jabroniville

Leonus

Post by Jabroniville »

LEONUS
Created By:
Gary Friedrich & Marie Severin
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk Annual #1 (Oct. 1968)
Role: The Lieutenant
Group Affiliations: The Inhumans, Maximus's Group
PL 8 (90)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Military) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Startle

Powers:
"Terrigen Mist-Given Powers: Leonine Features"
"Leonine Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Paired Claws" (Flaws: Removable) [7]
Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split, Penetrating 5) (8 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Claws +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Inhuman Outcast)
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 10 (90)

-Leonus is a loyalist to Maximus, and often appears as his personal "General" or bodyguard, leading the other evil Inhumans. Apparently the next writer forgot he was evil and he was just shown in Attilan one day like nothing was wrong, and was brainwashed by Stallior into helping free Maximus. Later, he was brainwashed into allying with the Crimson Cadre. He's most notable for the fact that he's carrying predecessors of Wolverine's legendary claws- the distinctive "three-clawed" look is very clear. Otherwise he's just an orange guy with a LOT of facial hair.

-Leonus is a pretty simple low-end Powerhouse/Scrapper type of build, with Enhanced Senses.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Leonus

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:41 am Image
So... Funny story. The Maestro, Adam Warlock, and Old Man Logan got black-out drunk in Las Vegas one weekend...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Medusa! Gorgon! Triton! Karnak! Maximus!)

Post by MacynSnow »

To bring this MAGNIFICENT LION-MAN to full caps, add Regeneration 7(Extra:Persistant),The Skills:Stealth 4(+8),Technology 4(+4), and the Advantages: Track, Diehard, Improved Crit 2(Paired Claws:18-20), Leadership, Interpose, Improved Initiative 2(+8) with the other 4 points going into Defenses.
Jabroniville

Falcona

Post by Jabroniville »

FALCONA
Created By:
Gary Friedrich & Marie Severin
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk Annual #1 (Oct. 1968)
Role: Bird-Controller
Group Affiliations: The Inhumans, Maximus's Group
PL 6 (106)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Persuasion 2 (+2)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Terrigen Mist-Given Powers: Bird Control"
Mind Control 6 (Extras: Area- 1,800 feet +7) (Flaws: Touch Range -2, Limited to Animals, Limited to Birds) [42]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Bird Control +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Inhuman Outcast)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 13 (106)

-Falcona has kind of a silly design- looking like a lazy version of the Evil Queen from Snow White. Her main power is to control birds of prey to attack her enemies. She was typically seen as just another follower of Maximus (helping out agents of his like the Crimson Cadre and the Kree Shatterstar), and unlike most "Bird-Themed" people, cannot fly herself!

-As the number of birds in an area can potentially be QUITE large, Falcona could be rather annoying, but her direct power isn't that great.