Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
CoyoteUnion

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Strikeforce: Morituri! Yu Yu Hakusho!)

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:51 am The stuff about Editors, though... MAN. Why is it all of the biggest stars in manga are so easily bullied and ordered about my their Editors? I know in Japan it's more standard to do what your bosses say, and that you don't F up the chain of command, but holy how. Toriyama got pushed around, Naoko Takeuchi was made to extended Sailor Moon thrice over, etc. Dude cuts off YYH near its peak and result in it being kind of left behind, and it's because of editorial conflicts? It's a real shame.
This is a real interview with Toriyama.
Akira Toriyama wrote:I actually don’t really like to give names to the techniques. In a battle of life and death, there’s no way you can say the name of each technique. You’d be done in while yelling the technique’s name. (laughs) But my editor told me it was best to give the techniques names.
So all this time we made fun of Toriyama for making everyone yell their attacks... AND HE AGREED!
bsdigitalq

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Yu Yu Hakusho- Yusuke! Kurama! Hiei!)

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:58 am
bsdigitalq wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:30 pm Yu Yu Hakusho...still have fond memories of binging the dub of the anime. One of the few I still look back on fondly, and has been a huge influence on me. The Dark Tournament in particular...oof, good stuff.
Oh, interesting- I didn't know you were a fan! You might have been the one I was talking to about it then, lol- I know SOMEBODY I know was a big fan and we'd had discussions about it, but I couldn't remember who that was!

What stuff in particular did it influence you on?
Naw, it was someone else. I think we've only talked about it once before in IM, and another in the Discord. But yeah, I binge watched the entire anime series many, many years ago, and it still holds a special place in my heart.

The Dark Tournament arc was the big influence on me. All of the different characters, the new situations, the villains, and the big central conflict involving Toguro and Yusuke really left a big impression on me. A few villains and stories we've talked about are inspired/based on that stuff.
Jabroniville

Yakumo

Post by Jabroniville »

YAKUMO
Role:
Evil Conqueror, Movie Villain
PL 11 (181)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+14)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+15)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Spirit Lore) 12 (+14)
Expertise (History) 6 (+8)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+9)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Energy) 5 (+12)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Multiattack), Improved Critical (Tornado Strike), Improved Critical (Fire Kick), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4, Uncanny Dodge

Yu Yu Hakusho Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Multiattack" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 7) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 7 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (11) -- [14]
  • AE: "Energy Shot" Blast 6 (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -1) (7)
  • AE: "Fire Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Tornado Strike" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cylinder) (Reduced Defenses -2) (10)
Immunity (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Special Moves +13 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Resshuku Shiendan +13 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Tornado Strike +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +16 (DC 26), Toughness +6 (+7 D.Roll), Fortitude +9, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Yakumo wishes to gain some Magical Macguffin and take over the Spirit & Human Worlds.
Weakness (Predictability)- These characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 104 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 14 + 11 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 18 (181)

-Yakumo is the main villain of the 1994 movie Yu Yu Hakusho: Poltergeist Report, and made the game as a Secret Boss character (playable via a cheat). He looks pretty normal for this series- wild white hair and a badass cape, but his Final Form is very much the kind of "Generic Anime Baddie" you saw constantly in the 1990s. In this sense, he's like the Generic Villains Marvel created at the time, like Exodus, Reignfire & Hyperstorm.

-Yakumo hails from the Netherrealm, and invaded the Spirit World centuries ago, trying to gain possession of the human world. He was defeated and banished by King Enma (ruler of Heaven) into the dark void of space, and has naturally just returned to wreak havoc. He tries to take over five "Energy Points" of the Spirit World for total power, and kidnaps Botan, the one who trained Yusuke, but is ultimately killed by the four main heroes combining the Spirit Sword, Spirit Gun, Darkness Flame & Rose Whip into one attack.

-Yakumo is another PL 11 as a Secret Boss, with similar powers to the others- a round Energy Blast, a downwards-striking angled kick, and an Energy Tornado of sorts.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Strikeforce: Morituri! Yu Yu Hakusho!)

Post by Woodclaw »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:51 am The stuff about Editors, though... MAN. Why is it all of the biggest stars in manga are so easily bullied and ordered about my their Editors? I know in Japan it's more standard to do what your bosses say, and that you don't F up the chain of command, but holy how. Toriyama got pushed around, Naoko Takeuchi was made to extended Sailor Moon thrice over, etc. Dude cuts off YYH near its peak and result in it being kind of left behind, and it's because of editorial conflicts? It's a real shame.
This is a real interview with Toriyama.
Akira Toriyama wrote:I actually don’t really like to give names to the techniques. In a battle of life and death, there’s no way you can say the name of each technique. You’d be done in while yelling the technique’s name. (laughs) But my editor told me it was best to give the techniques names.
So all this time we made fun of Toriyama for making everyone yell their attacks... AND HE AGREED!
Another example is Naoko Takeuchi, who originally planned Ranma 1/2 as a 24 issue series, but was forced to produce over twice that number (and it shows, after #20 the quality of the story drops pretty badly).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Yusuke! Hiei! Yomi! Mukuro! Raizen! Shinobu!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Another example is Naoko Takeuchi, who originally planned Ranma 1/2 as a 24 issue series, but was forced to produce over twice that number (and it shows, after #20 the quality of the story drops pretty badly).
I've long suspected that Takeuchi had the final issue written (at least in draft form) sometime around Chapter 200-210... and then her editors demanded that she prolong the series. You can basically skip from Volume 20 to the grand finale in Volume 38 and not miss anything of much importance...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
CoyoteUnion

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Yusuke! Hiei! Yomi! Mukuro! Raizen! Shinobu!)

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Never heard of Yakumo, but I've never seen an actual anime character look like a picture from Big Eyes Small Mouth before.

The wiki says his catchphrase is "Know your rightful place!". If that's true, he needs some ranks in Expertise (Being Generic), linked to Awareness but negative Awareness gives him a bonus.
Jabroniville

The Clandestine

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CLANDESTINE
Created By:
Alan Davis
First Appearance: Marvel Comics Presents #158 (July 1994)

-The ClanDestine is a short-lived comic book series from the mind of Alan Davis, one-half of most of the iconic moments of Brian Braddock's life, alongside luminaries such as Alan Moore & Chris Claremont. The series kind of comes off like an early Noble Causes, as it's all about a family of metahumans- the long-lived Destine clan of England.

-Davis, drawn to both superhero stuff and group dynamics, wanted to create his own thing, "unencumbered" by long and complex continuity (but set in the Marvel Universe so he could do cross-overs). Figuring that most of the cool powers had already been taken, Davis decided to focus on originality through character interaction & development, and made the group a family. Oddly, Davis left his own book after #8, and was taken over by Glenn Dankin (no idea who that is). There was a 1996 Cross-Over series X-Men and the ClanDestine, which is the only time I've ever heard of this group, via the advertisements playing them up as a big deal- I never read the issues, however. Another five-issue mini-series by Davis came out in 2008, which I've ALSO never heard about. Davis went back to the story AGAIN for a trio of Annuals, showing some of the backstory.

-The designs are very... "Alan Davis-y". Very smooth figures, 1980s-style costumes (oddly cut-out pieces of material on the costumes), long flowing '80s hair, organically-flowing costumes, and more. The women are packing the Meggan/Saturnyne physique (rather than the Rachel Summers or Kitty Pryde ones for women), generally with the same rounded facial features. Not many other artists have drawn the characters, so it's hard to really divorce their looks from Davis's own distinct style. He's not really lost a step after all these years, though- few artists active in the early 1980s retained their talent over the decades- he draws basically the exact same as he ever did, not getting lazy (like John Byrne) or drawing some odd facial features on certain characters (George Perez, Jerry Ordway).

DESTINE FAMILY TEMPLATE
Created By:
Alan Davis
Role: Nigh-Immortal Wizard Family
Group Affiliation: The Destine Clan
PL 6 (90)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 4 (+7)
Expertise (History) 5 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Languages 2 (Several), Ranged Attack 2, Ritualist

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Aging, Disease) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (The Family)- The siblings often do not get along, but the family is closely-linked.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 11 (90)

Destine Family Members:

CUCKOO (Jasmine Destine, aka Kay Cera)- PL 10 (137): Deception +2, Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Jack of All Trades, "Transfer Consciousness" Immortality 20 (Flaws: Source- Host Body, Rearranges Body & Physical Stats With Lowered Psychic Abilities), "Astral Projection" Remote Sensing 10 (Vision & Hearing), AE: Mind-Reading 10, AE: Illusion (Vision 2, Hearing) 10 (Flaws: Mental), AE: Telekinetic Blast 10 (Feats: Indirect- Through Others' Bodies) [47]
-Adam & Elalyth's eldest child, an 800-year-old Telepath who survives by transferring her mind into mortally-wounded Host Bodies, then having her brother heal them. She's been a Japanese Princess, a Vampire, a fashion designer, and more. Unlike the others, she accepts their father's killing of Vincent. She's also generally a hedonist, and often reads people's innermost thoughts without their permission, making her controversial to her family members. Davis has admitted he designed her out of his love "of drawing impossibly-beautiful women".

ALBERT DESTINE- PL 6 (159): AWA +2, Expertise (Monk) 8 (+11), Teleport 12 (Extras: Extended, Portal +2), AE: Healing 10 [69]
-A Monk living in Nepal, able to heal others. He was badly-affected when he tried to stem the Black Death in Europe, and was sent to a temple by his family members in order to recover. He frequently chides Cuckoo in the use of her powers, and has informed her that he will no longer heal the bodies she "jumps" to (this effectively dooms her to die some day). He never forgave their father for killing Vincent.

GRACE DESTINE- PL 8 (114): Expertise (Archaeologist) 8 (+11), Ranged Attack 4, "Telekinesis" Move Object 8, AE: TK Blast 8, AE: Communication 2 (Mental) [24]
-"Gracie" is an archaeologist born in 1503 with the "Jean Grey Power-Set" that got so over-used in the 1990s. Kind of an assist-based character, she accidentally summoned a demon a long time ago, and frequently has to deal with it.

NEWTON DESTINE- PL 6 (116): INT +5, AWA +1, Inventor, Ultimate Technology Skill, Treatment 6 (+14), Expertise (Science) 8 (+16), Technology 10 (+18) [26]
-A super-genius, he ended up on Etherea (is a cross-over with She-Ra in the works?), putting his consciousness into a much larger, more-muscular body (ST 5, STA 5) for this purpose. He usually sticks with his normal body for scientific pursuits.

ARGENT (Samantha Destine)- PL 9 (139): FIGHTING +2, PRE -3, Improved Critical (Body Weaponry), Move-By Action, Variable 7 (Body Weaponry & Armor) [49]
-An artist who can shape Armor & Weapons around her body. "Aloof, brooding and exotic" thanks to her finding regular flesh repulsive due to her powers. Davis admits that her armor shifts in shape solely because he didn't feel like drawing it accurately in every panel :).

WALLOP (Walter Destine)- PL 10 (127): FIGHTING 2, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Growth 10 (Str & Sta +10, +10 Mass, +5 Intimidation, -5 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -10 Stealth) -- (42 feet), Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 9) [37]
-"Wallop" is a romance novel writer, and turns into a Blue Hulk, more or less- excessive use of Growth can lead to him losing his temper and going berserk. Changing forms back actually takes him a good deal of time. He is the guardian of Rory & Pandora, and is treated as a strict parental figure who resents the other siblings just popping into the kids' lives on a whim.

HEX (Dominic Destine)- PL 10 (120): FIGHTING +4, INT +1, AWA +1, Investigation 8 (+12), "Pressure Points & Nerve Clusters" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed), Senses 11 (Acute Scent, Extended Vision, Hearing & Scent, "Tremorsense"- Ranged Radius Touch 2, Analytical Vision & Taste) [30]
-An illusionist and escapologist, Dominic refuses to forgive Adam for killing Vincent. He's a great deductive reasoner and "quite brilliant", but often exiles himself because his sensory powers can't handle large cities. He can get "Dazzled" easily- a bite of chocolate can basically K.O. him, and his vision can be buggered by infra-red, microwaves or sonic emissions. Even being scanned by certain things can cause him pain. Even being PUNCHED is super-effective, because he's so physically-sensitive. All of this makes him quite aggressive and volatile, but the ultimate Glass Cannon.

VINCENT DESTINE- PL 6 (116): Movement 6 (Time Travel 3, Space Travel 3) (Extras: Instantaneous, Portal +2), Shrinking 10 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0) [26]
-The "Bad Son", Vincent was declared to be "evil" by his father, and was killed after he destroyed the family manor. This is all part of the backstory of the series, and the reason the family split up. When he was finally shown in a 2012 story, he was revealed to be kind of a Time Traveling Hipster, whining about how his family were disaffected from human suffering, acting like "parasites". His destructive potential was unleashed by a demon that had possessed his body, which is why Adam snapped his neck.

OTHER KIDS: William "Oz" Chance (Peak Human Strength & Agility- an actor in action movies), Nathaniel (a beter mystic than Albert), Thaddeus (second-oldest child; died years ago after being tossed off a cliff by an evil Inhuman. He had Vixen-like powers to copy animal traits), Florence (Killed by Lenz's creatures; acted as Rory & Pandora's grandmother), Maurice Fortuit (Killed by Lenz's creatures; had some kind of Energy power), Three unknown siblings (Garth, Sherlock & Lance; only seen as headstones).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Yu Yu Hakusho! Mukuro! Raizen! Shinobu! Clandestine!)

Post by MacynSnow »

I like Oz's look, it's very Patriotic.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So I remember ages ago someone suggesting I build the ClanDestine, and of course I'd never read the book in my life, or even known what it was about. The TPB I found in a used bookstore was also pretty highly-priced for a "check this out" kind of a thing, but um... here they are again!
Jabroniville

Adam Destine

Post by Jabroniville »

ADAM DESTINE
Created By:
Alan Davis
Role: Aloof Asshole
Group Affiliation: The Destine Clan
PL 9 (253)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 7 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 2 (+6)
Expertise (History) 10 (+14)
Expertise (Knight) 6 (+10)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+7)
Perception 2 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Equipment 2 (Sword), Improved Critical (Sword), Jack-Of-All-Trades, Languages 3 (Pretty Much Anything), Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist, Ultimate Knight

Powers:
Immortality 15 [30]
"Invulnerable" Immunity 130 (All Damage, Mental Effects, Fortitude Effects) [130]
Concealment 1 (Scent) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +10

Complications:
Relationship (The Family)- The family often does not get along, but the family is closely-linked.
Guilt (Killed Vincent)- Adam killed his own son after he destroyed the family manner. The family fell apart after this, with various children hating Adam, and his own wife leaving for her mystical home. Adam then fleeds Earth for yaers.
Enemy (Griffin, The Omegans, Lenz)- The Destines have made numerous enemies over the years.
Responsibility (Immortality Is a Curse)- Adam despises his long life, having watched many of his children age and die.
Responsibility (No Pleasure, No Pain)- Adam cannot feel pain, but similarly cannot feel much pleasure, either. This renders him aloof and a bit distant from others.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 132 / Defenses: 14 (253)

-Adam is the earliest immortal Destine, living in Saxon England while it was ruled by the Normans. Realizing he was nigh-immortal, Adam became a great warrior and hero, and freed a Djinn (Genie) from a magic gem. Then married her (but only after she made him ACTUALLY immortal). They have many super long-lived kids, but split up when Adam kills their son Vincent after he goes nuts- the family breaks up as a result, too. Adam leaves Earth to travel the stars, leaving his youngest children to be raised by Walter. He's notable largely for being super-aloof thanks to his disaffected nature, and for the fact that he's essentially 100% invincible (the only thing that can cause him pain is the sensation he gets from one of his children being killed). He's basically just a really good knight otherwise, so he's not as Game-Breaking as you might think for such a ludicrously-durable fellow (like, Spider-Man could just web him up and the fight's over, ya know?).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

What would make Adam a bitch to fight isn't his Power Level, it's the same thing that'd make fighting a Highlander Immortal difficult: their the Ultimate Skill Monkey and, due to their Long-lived Natures, out maneuver & outthink ANYONE on the battlefield.
Jabroniville

Elalyth

Post by Jabroniville »

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

ELALYTH: A green Djinn, Elalyth met Adam in the 12th Century, made him immortal, then married him. She leaves Adam when he kills their son Vincent. Elalyth's powers are basically to be unstoppable- she easily defeats every foe she encounters (turning one villain into a child), and can transfer permanent abilities onto others, such as Adam's Immortality. As a friggin' Genie, the sky's the limit with her, and no barriers have ever been seen. Also, she utilizes all the best of Alan Davis's God-given talents for drawing sexy nearly-nude women. And she's green. And sexy. And not wearing much.
-She doesn't really appear to be stat-able, insofar as she's a minor background character that doesn't get involved until much later. I don't even know where to begin with her Mental Abilities or Skills, for instance:

Immunity 11 (Life Support, Aging) [11]
Variable (Any Power) 12 [84]
Sample Powers:
Communication 4 (Mental) (16)
Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed) (Extras: Ranged, Progressive +2) (40)
Healing 10 (20)

"Empower Others" Variable (Any Power) 5 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Continuous) [40]
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ela basically was used as a Combo "Shared Origin/Deus Ex" thing for the ClanDestine. And to let the GM's Pet D&D Fighter live in "Modern Times" ....
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I've always been a fan of ClanDestine, I'd love to see their return.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

It's funny, I was thinking about Jab's comment about artists being consistent with their drawings, and how few artists like Alan Davis can have art held up from two different time periods and have it be pretty similar.

One of the few that immediately jumped to mind was Phil Foglio. I look at his early stuff and his current stuff, and it's a cleaner now, but I don't know if that's due to a change in art style, a different scale of surface he's drawing on (comic book vs. digital medium), or just cleaner technology improvements, but any art from any time period is quite distinctively his.