Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Star Brand! Nightmask! Justice! Marc Hazzard!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:36 pm So many comic book writers and artists seem desperate to be their own editors, but so many editors seem to be frustrated artists.
As someone that works in the publishing industry, I can tell you that's a very assessment. I believe it has a lot to do with the "myth of the author", the idea of a single person being THE creative force behind a certain creative product. Every author wants to be "The Author", the one that gets all the recognition and the media expose.
Meanwhile, it's inhevitable for all the people involved with a creative endavour to develop their own personal vision. A good editor is someone that knows how to reconcile these different visions, including his/her own, in a coherent product, a bad one tries to enforce a single one, like a frustrated author.
Incidetally, the Myth of the Author is the root of many problems with current writers. You don't get "The Avengers, written by Jason Aaron", you have "Jason Aaron writing the Avengers", i.e. the author becomes more important than the story.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:31 pm Valiant was probably Shooter's overall best and most successful attempt to get the universe he wanted. Here it was a mostly realistic world, but had some fantastical elements like magic, aliens and an array of superpowered individuals. It was overall much more grounded than either Marvel or DC, and the focus was more on the characters than their powers. With Solar, Shooter even got to do his "character with godlike power who wanted to fix the world but everyone kept getting in his way" thing, only Solar was actually someone the fans could finally empathize with, he wasn't completely all powerful, he could be challenged, and he acknowledged when he made mistakes. Unfortunately for Shooter, Valiant fell apart because he trusted the wrong people, and wound up getting booted out of his own company when one of his partners basically stabbed him in the back.
As a big fan of the Valiant, I think that there Shooter actually played to one of his greatest assets: planning continuity. Not only the origin and stories of every character intertwined, so that you could get the story of the entire VH1 starting from any of them, but everything was on a clear timeline.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Scuzz

Post by Jabroniville »

SCUZZ (Dennis Duzinski)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Paul Ryan
First Appearance: D.P. 7 #1 (Nov. 1986)
Role: "That Guy" on a Team, Riff-Raff/Street Rat
PL 7 (101), PL 8 (101) Scorcher
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Close Combat (Acid) 2 (+8)
Deception 6 (+5)
Expertise (Street Rat) 5 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Spitballs) 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Corrosive Touch)

Powers:
"This Corrosion" Damage 3 (Extras: Secondary Effect, Aura +3) Linked to Weaken 3 (Extras: Aura +3, Affects Objects) (30) -- [32]
  • AE: "Spitballs" Blast 4 (Extras: Secondary Effect) (Diminished Range -1) Linked to Weaken 5 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects) (Diminished Range -1) (25)
  • AE: "Acid Touch" Damage 5 (Extras: Secondary Effect) Linked to Weaken 6 (Extras: Affects Objects) (22)
"Scorcher Form" (All Have Flaws: Limited to During Extreme Anger)
"Corrosion Boost" Both +2 [16]
"Scuzzballs" Blast +2 (6)
Acid Touch +2 (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Corrosion +8 (+3 Damage & Weaken, DC 18 & 13)
Acid Touch +8 (+5 Damage & +6 Weaken, DC 20 & 16)
Spitballs +8 (+4 Ranged Damage & +5 Ranged Weaken, DC 19 & 15)
Scorcher Corrosion +8 (+5 Damage & Weaken, DC 20 & 15)
Scorcher Acid Touch +8 (+7 Damage & +8 Weaken, DC 22 & 18)
Scorcher Spitballs +8 (+6 Ranged Damage & +7 Ranged Weaken, DC 21 & 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (Cult of the White Event)- Dennis believes that paranormal powers are a gift from God.
Drawback (Powers Constantly Active)- Dennis's clothes, furniture and bedware all decay and corrode at an alarming rate- he can never truly turn his powers off completely.
Power Loss (All Powers)- When coming out of "Scorcher Mode", Scuzz has his abilities diminished, and may even tough others without causing them pain.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 48 / Defenses: 11 (101)

-Scuzz is a rebellious High School dropout who gets stuck with the others, and is probably the team's resident pain in the ass. Eventually, he joins the "Cult of the White Event", which believes that their powers are a gift from God. He later tries to assassinate The Cure (who can remove powers), but both are left powerless- he doesn't seem to really get up to much with the actual team. He also has a "Scorcher Form" during periods of extreme anger- he can use enhanced versions of his powers for a time (done by boosting each power with a Limit, making each pricier), but will be de-powered afterwards.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Twilight

Post by Jabroniville »

TWILIGHT (Lenore Fenzl)
Created By:
Role: Old Lady
PL 9 (91)
STRENGTH
-1/6 STAMINA -1/6 AGILITY -1/4
FIGHTING 0/6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Educator) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Set-Up

Powers:
"Fatigue-Inducing Bioluminescence" Affliction 9 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Asleep) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Aura +3, Cumulative) (Flaws: Permanent) [45]

"Boosted Stats" (All Have Flaws: Limited to Amount of People Stunned)
Enhanced Strength 7 [7]
Enhanced Stamina 7 [7]
Enhanced Agility 5 [5]
Enhanced Fighting 6 [6]
Leaping 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Boosted Strength +4 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Bioluminescence +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (+6 Boost, DC 12-16), Parry +2 (+8 Boost, DC 12-18), Toughness -1 (+6 Boost), Fortitude +0 (+5 Boost), Will +4

Complications:
Power Loss (Bioluminescence)- Twilight's powers may be blocked by any kind of material, such as fabrics. The trick is, it has to cover all of her skin.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 71 / Defenses: 8 (91)

-When Gru & Ryan decided to create "non-standard" characters, types like Lenore are definitely way up there. She's an OLD LADY, a retired Latin teacher, who just happened to gain powers, and got stuck with the D.P.7. Over time, she began growing addicted to her powers, which involved draining the energy from others- this had the effect of de-aging her and making her a bit superhuman. In the end, she was captured with the rest of her team and turned over to the CIA, where she took very well to her training. Unfortunately, she was killed on their first mission, despite having learned a lot of physical stuff since her training began.

-Twilight is useless physically until she uses her powers to stun others at range- this boosts her physicality to a great degree.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:58 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:36 pm So many comic book writers and artists seem desperate to be their own editors, but so many editors seem to be frustrated artists.
As someone that works in the publishing industry, I can tell you that's a very accurate assessment. I believe it has a lot to do with the "myth of the author", the idea of a single person being THE creative force behind a certain creative product. Every author wants to be "The Author", the one that gets all the recognition and the media expose.
Meanwhile, it's inevitable for all the people involved with a creative endeavour to develop their own personal vision. A good editor is someone that knows how to reconcile these different visions, including his/her own, in a coherent product, a bad one tries to enforce a single one, like a frustrated author.
Incidentally, the Myth of the Author is the root of many problems with current writers. You don't get "The Avengers, written by Jason Aaron", you have "Jason Aaron writing the Avengers", i.e. the author becomes more important than the story.
It's also true while gaming. In my experience, some of my worst players have been frustrated writers who are looking to vent that creative energy. They get into the "myth of the author" mentality and it makes them almost unbearable. As a game master I find it like being an editor, taking what everyone is contributing and making it all fit together. Especially as campaign ages. But you get one or two players who think their view of the end product should be THE end product, and... *shudder*.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: Scuzz

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:04 pmHe later tries to assassinate The Cure
That's a harsh reaction to the then-new mix of Boys Don't Cry.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

As someone who's had ideas percolating on the brain since my teenage days of being a scrounge before I became a full Skavenger, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt the worst thing that can happen to anybody in a creative field is for them to get an ego. Suddenly the writers know best not just what should go in their stories, but also what should happen in the adaptations. Comic writers or artists get singular credit for the work on a successful title when, in fact, it's a collaborative effort. Grant Morrison manages a hugely successful reboot of the JLA, and suddenly everybody lets him just do what he wants and you wind up with stuff like Final Crisis without a strong editor yanking his leash back. I enjoyed Hickman's run on Fantastic Four, but his Avengers run was, at least to me, unreadable with everything suddenly becoming a huge massive plot point just to be tossed aside or forgotten (though, I guess he was responsible for Roberto Da Costa going from "wasn't he supposed to be Reignfire one day?" to "the next David Xanatos" so I'll forgive him a little for that).

(A brief aside, I think I just realized that's part of what bothers me so much right now with what's happening with the Avengers. Fantastic Four used to be the primary source for cosmic stories, because they were intrinsically linked to space and had built up such strong connections to characters like Galactus, Ego, the Surfer, and such. Suddenly having the Avengers book be the source for stories about Celestials, the Phoenix Force, invading Shi'Ar space for the Starbrand, and all other cosmic nonsense feels... off for a team whose job used to be "fight the masters of evil" and "Ultron's back again." Sure, they were involved in some huge cosmic storylines (Kree/Skrull war, Korvac, et al), but they were still mostly Earth's defenders, not the galaxy's defenders.)

Where was I? Oh, right. The same thing happens in the video game industry with "auteurs" like Hideo Kojima, Richard Garriott, John Romero, American McGee, Suda51 (though he seems to be getting more restrained over time, not less). I could ramble on for years about egos in the film industry and how certain actors/producers/directors/writers started to believe their own hype and proceeded to try to control everything and came out worse for it. And of course there's so many gaming groups that have broken up over the years because either the GM decided he wanted to tell HIS story, or the players felt it should be about THEM instead of a collaborative effort. A wise man once said "kill your darlings" when it comes to being a creator, and more people in the industry need to remember that.

Or, it can just be summarized with this:

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:36 pm I sometimes get the feeling that there’s some burning desire inside everyone who works in artistic fields (comics, film, music, etc.) that each and every one of them wants to being doing the job that they don’t have. We all know the old joke about how every actor wants to be the director, right?

But it also seems like every director wants to be the producer, every writer wants to be the actor, every producer wants to be the editor...

Every rhythm guitarist or bass player wants to be the lead guitar, every lead vocalist wants to be the manager, every manager wants to be the producer, and every producer wants to be a lead singer...

So many comic book writers and artists seem desperate to be their own editors, but so many editors seem to be frustrated artists.
I've read somewhere (can't remember where- possibly just some guy on a message board) that every single person in the comic industry wanted to be a superstar artist... but only the ones who were good enough were able to be. It's a visual medium after all. So everyone else- from the writers to the editors, was a failure at their "dream" and so settled for a lesser thing, which probably sets off everybody's malcontent towards what they're currently doing, and helps them in their goals towards interfering with everyone else's jobs, lol.

A perfectly-steered ship in a world driven by creative people is impossible, which is why the truly amazing things (Avatar: The Last Airbender, the Disney Renaissance, The New Disney Renaissance) are so incredible and rare.
Jabroniville

Re: Nightmask

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:32 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:12 am
Ken wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:42 am

I don't need his help.
Not OUR Ken, HIS Ken.... :roll:
Ooops. I guess I was being a dumbass...
All Ken's stuff is written by Jim Shooter! It's all so clear :P.
Batgirl III

Re: Nightmask

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:14 pm
Ken wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:32 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:12 am
Not OUR Ken, HIS Ken.... :roll:
Ooops. I guess I was being a dumbass...
All Ken's stuff is written by Jim Shooter! It's all so clear :P.
Has anyone ever seen “Ken” and “Jim Shooter” in the same room at the same time..?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Blur

Post by Jabroniville »

BLUR (Jeff Walters)
Created By:
Role: Speedster
PL 9 (129)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 11 (+14)
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Fast Food Manager) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Initiative 4, Move-By Action, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
Speed 7 (250 mph) [7]
Quickness 8 [8]
"Good Vibrations" Immunity 6 (Cold Environments, Drugs) [6]

"Strike Everyone At Once" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable on 5 Ranks) (7) -- [8]
  • AE: "Hit Everyone" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Strike Everyone +5 Area (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Hit Everyone +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +21

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Constantly Hyper-Metabolic)- Blur constantly moves around, vibrates, and cannot stop eating for long. He sweats frequently (causing him to smell), and dislikes hot weather strongly. He even speaks too quickly. He also needs to wear goggles in order to see while moving above 125 mph.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 15 (129)

-Part of Gruenwald's "Heroes in the Real World" thing was characters like Blur- a super-fast guy who nonetheless had to eat extreme amounts of food in order to fuel himself. Blur also could NOT hold still- he was constantly vibrating back and forth. Despite not appearing that much in the bio-sites I can find, BLUR of all people has lived on past the death of the New Universe, part of the Crisis on Infinite Earths of Marvel caused the destruction of countless worlds, one of which was the "New Universe" Earth. Blur, the sole survivor, has been placed on the new Squadron Supreme, made up of characters from various cancelled books (Nighthawk from the MAX Squadron, the original Squadron's Power Princess, the traitorous Warrior Woman, the Hickman-Avengers's version of Hyperion, the Hickman-JLA-Analogue Doctor Spectrum, and now Thundra). Blur has done by far the least of his team, though- I can't tell you much about him. He seems more like a neat, unexpected cameo as much as anything.

-At PL 8.5, Blur is a pretty good Speedster, and the member of his team most-ready for "Actual Superhero Duty", really.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goldar

Re: Twilight

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:05 pm Image

TWILIGHT (Lenore Fenzl)
Created By:
Role: Old Lady
PL 9 (91)
STRENGTH
-1/6 STAMINA -1/6 AGILITY -1/4
FIGHTING 0/6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Educator) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Set-Up

Powers:
"Fatigue-Inducing Bioluminescence" Affliction 9 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Asleep) (Extras: Area- Visual Perception, Aura +3, Cumulative) (Flaws: Permanent) [45]

"Boosted Stats" (All Have Flaws: Limited to Amount of People Stunned)
Enhanced Strength 7 [7]
Enhanced Stamina 7 [7]
Enhanced Agility 5 [5]
Enhanced Fighting 6 [6]
Leaping 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Boosted Strength +4 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Bioluminescence +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (+6 Boost, DC 12-16), Parry +2 (+8 Boost, DC 12-18), Toughness -1 (+6 Boost), Fortitude +0 (+5 Boost), Will +4

Complications:
Power Loss (Bioluminescence)- Twilight's powers may be blocked by any kind of material, such as fabrics. The trick is, it has to cover all of her skin.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 71 / Defenses: 8 (91)

-When Gru & Ryan decided to create "non-standard" characters, types like Lenore are definitely way up there. She's an OLD LADY, a retired Latin teacher, who just happened to gain powers, and got stuck with the D.P.7. Over time, she began growing addicted to her powers, which involved draining the energy from others- this had the effect of de-aging her and making her a bit superhuman. In the end, she was captured with the rest of her team and turned over to the CIA, where she took very well to her training. Unfortunately, she was killed on their first mission, despite having learned a lot of physical stuff since her training began.

-Twilight is useless physically until she uses her powers to stun others at range- this boosts her physicality to a great degree.
This look is interesting ........but also scary.
Batgirl III

Re: Twilight

Post by Batgirl III »

Goldar wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:16 am This look is interesting ........but also scary.
It's very interesting and pretty scary, but not as scary as this:
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:05 pm She's an OLD LADY, a retired Latin teacher, who just happened to gain powers[.]
My mum is an old lady and a retired Latin teacher. :o
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Re: Blur

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:30 pm Image

BLUR (Jeff Walters)
Created By:
Role: Speedster
PL 9 (127)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 11 (+14)
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Fast Food Manager) 4 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Improved Initiative 4, Move-By Action, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
Speed 7 (250 mph) [7]
Quickness 8 [8]
"Good Vibrations" Immunity 6 (Cold Environments, Drugs) [6]

"Strike Everyone At Once" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable on 5 Ranks) (7) -- [8]
  • AE: "Hit Everyone" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 5) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Strike Everyone +5 Area (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Hit Everyone +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +21

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Constantly Hyper-Metabolic)- Blur constantly moves around, vibrates, and cannot stop eating for long. He sweats frequently (causing him to smell), and dislikes hot weather strongly. He even speaks too quickly. He also needs to wear goggles in order to see while moving above 125 mph.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 15 (127)

-Part of Gruenwald's "Heroes in the Real World" thing was characters like Blur- a super-fast guy who nonetheless had to eat extreme amounts of food in order to fuel himself. Blur also could NOT hold still- he was constantly vibrating back and forth. Despite not appearing that much in the bio-sites I can find, BLUR of all people has lived on past the death of the New Universe, part of the Crisis on Infinite Earths of Marvel caused the destruction of countless worlds, one of which was the "New Universe" Earth. Blur, the sole survivor, has been placed on the new Squadron Supreme, made up of characters from various cancelled books (Nighthawk from the MAX Squadron, the original Squadron's Power Princess, the traitorous Warrior Woman, the Hickman-Avengers's version of Hyperion, the Hickman-JLA-Analogue Doctor Spectrum, and now Thundra). Blur has done by far the least of his team, though- I can't tell you much about him. He seems more like a neat, unexpected cameo as much as anything.

-At PL 8.5, Blur is a pretty good Speedster, and the member of his team most-ready for "Actual Superhero Duty", really.
Personally, i like Blur's new costume as his original seemed a little too generically 80's to me. It's also kinda neat how Gruenwald showed the downsides of Super-Speed. Poor Jeff couldn't even go to sleep, his body was so hyped up.He'd go untill he passed out from lack of sleep. I remember one issue they had to pack him halfway way through it, as he'd FINALLY fallen asleep.
Sidney369

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Star Brand! Nightmask! Justice! D.P.7!)

Post by Sidney369 »

A complication for Scuzz you missed is that he was very rebellious before he joined the Cult, and often made trouble. he joined the Cult to get over the fact he was responsible for the deaths of two of his friends.

You also didn't mention his "scorcher" mode, where he causes his sweat to combust without harm to himself.

As for Blur, he never needed googles when he ran at high speeds in the original series. He also was the only member of D.P.7 who remained in the army, so he has some skills related to soldiering.

Finally, one thing I don't remember seeing mentioned so far (and which recent Marvel writers seem unaware of, or just don't care) is that the NU Earth was transferred from it's native Reality-148611 to Reality-616 during the Starblast crossover.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.