Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Morgana Blessing

Post by Jabroniville »

These are some VERY "Bernie Rosenthal" images.

MORGANA BLESSING
Created By:
Roger Stern & Marshall Rogers
First Appearance: Doctor Strange #48 (Aug. 1981)
Role: Love Interest
Group Affiliations: None

-Morgana seems like a very... 1980s-style "Girlfriend Character". Like Bernie Rosenthal in Captain America, she was a bit counter-cultural and "modern", lived in SoHo (the trendiest part of the city), was a normal brown-haired girl going after a superhero and trying to humanize him, and more. This becomes humorous because I was like "Hey wait- who created Bernie Rosenthal again?" and SURE ENOUGH...

-Morgana was a fiction writer who was into the occult, and her innate ability to comprehend magic led her to spot some Astral Beings involved in a situation that involved Doctor Strange, fainting from the experience. She ended up having her CAT, then herself, being possessed by Baron Mordo, and was ultimately rendered comatose in a rather horrifying series of unfortunate events. In the end, Strange brought her out of her coma by finding her soul-shard travelling through all of her past lives, and the two formed a relationship- Morgana the aggressor and Stephen trying to keep her at arm's length and work slowly. For about four years, off and on, she appears in Roger Stern's Doctor Strange run, often just trying for a date, or fainting from stress, but is ultimately injured during a fight of Strange's (he possesses her body when he is nearly killed) and believes that he'd died fighting the Beyonder.

-Shockingly, despite being the creation of a writer no longer on the series, the character REAPPEARS- Morgana recurs in the Peter Gillis & Roy Thomas runs on a new volume of Doctor Strange- she has moved on and become even more successful, and wrote a biography of Stephen (whom she had thought dead, naturally). She acknowledges that Clea is his one true love at first, but soon started up the chase again, becoming kind of a pain in Stephen's ass. Even moreso when she ends up hooking up with his BROTHER, a VAMPIRE, and letting him drink blood from her repeatedly. Naturally, this causes her to faint once. They eventually break up when she realizes he's drinking criminals' blood- she thinks this will inevitably lead him down the path of addiction. When Victor realizes she is correct and commits suicide, she nearly joins him in doing so- she is saved by Stephen, and presumably lives on. But this was her final appearance- in 1993.

-Ultimately, the character is an interesting look at how in old comics, they "discarded" love interests less. She and Stephen were barely "together" for four years, but she recurred even after that, with other writers using her and making her a central part of the cast. Nowadays, characters cycle through lovers based off of whatever random stuff the current writer thinks is fun or a "good match" (this leads to stuff like Spidey/Mockingbird), and then they move on and it's never mentioned again. But this character had a TWELVE-YEAR RUN, lasting through three writers. Not bad. There's also a funny story where Jackson Guice tracing a picture of Christian rock singer Amy Grant for a cover shot of Morgana got Marvel sued: https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban-le ... ealed-144/.

-Morgana is a Magic Adept but can cast no spells- she can see spirits and the like, but has a tendency to faint a lot (her debut, a few Stern-written scenes, and two Thomas-written ones all feature her doing so when under duress).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Psi-Force! Doctor Strange! Cyrus! The Ancient One!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Morgana doesn't seem like a good fit for Strange. Her constant fainting is probably an act so she can get his attention.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Never liked her, the little I saw.

Besides, break or no break, Clea is the only one that should be with Doc! (Yes, I put the hammer down, lol!)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Honestly, i think early Clea was taken advantage of by Doc. Think about it; she was given her freedom from her Tyrannical Family by this guy and shown a world where she knew nothing off. Of course she'd latch onto him like a limpit! Doc assumes she's in love with him(cause who DOESN'T love Strange, right?) and practically seduces the poor woman.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I know and I agree with you. I just like seeing Clea!

But usually, if Clea was not in Dr Strange book, then we did not get to see her. :(

But I liked the few times when Doc wasn't around and she would pal around with Val and go on adventures with the Defenders.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (D.P.7! Spitfire! Psi-Force!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:15 pm I know what you mean,......except, .....i think the mystics I listed above are pretty much consistent in portrayals.

But do not forget, Spidey was shown as beating up Firelord, an undoable thing. I know the writers stated that it was Spidey fighting the hardest he could on the best day of his life while Firelord was really having an off day. They did that for Cap beating Hulk. Nay, I say thee! I do not buy it. No, not even for a second! it was someone not wanting the fight to turn out like it should have ended. Same thing when Jean first became Phoenix. Marvel was afraid to have her fight Thor---who they originally intended her to fight---and win---but in the end, before going to print, they did not want a female defeating a male. And they did not want Phoenix to defeat Thor. Enter Firelord.
The "Firelord Incident" has been complained about for decades for a reason, and is notably the only time that's ever really happened with Spider-Man (a hero with thousands of appearances). With Magic-users, this happens far more often, especially nowadays.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Goldar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:29 am I know and I agree with you. I just like seeing Clea!

But usually, if Clea was not in Dr Strange book, then we did not get to see her. :(

But I liked the few times when Doc wasn't around and she would pal around with Val and go on adventures with the Defenders.
I'd love to see Clea in her own Book, don't care if it's a One-shot or Maxi series!

But knowing how Marvel work's right now, it'd get swamped with SJW's lamblasting it before it even appears. :(
Jabroniville

Redblade

Post by Jabroniville »

REDBLADE
Created By:
Alan Weiss
First Appearance: Marvel Fanfare #49 (Feb. 1990)
Role: Anti-White Shaman, One-Off Foe
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (130)
STRENGTH
2/10 STAMINA 3/11 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Magic) 9 (+10)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 6, Ritualist

Powers:
"Magical Might"
"Spirit Arrows" Blast 8 (Extras: Alternate Save- Will) (24) -- [28]
  • AE: "Dehydration" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (24)
  • AE: Magical Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: Electrical Aura 5 (20)
  • AE: "Summon Astral Herd of Buffalo" Move Object 8 (Extra: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited to Spirits) (16)
"Summon the Wind Spirits" Environment 4 (Impede Movement, Visibility) [8]

"Giant Beast Form"
Morph 1 (Giant Beast) [5]
Growth 8 [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Electrical Aura +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Giant Beast +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Spirit Arrows +8 (+8 Ranged Will Damage, DC 23)
Magical Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+11 Giant Beast), Fortitude +5 (+13 Giant Beast), Will +6

Complications:
Hatred (The White Man)- Redblade despises white people for destroying his own.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 13 (130)

-Redblade appeared in a strange Marvel Fanfare crossover story featuring Doctor Strange, Nick Fury and Dum Dum Dugan of S.H.I.E.L.D. He was a normal medicine man of the 1800s Apache tribe who went mad with the evils the white man inflicted upon his people- he attempted to empower his people to fight back, but Fury & Dugan accidentally interrupted the ceremony while time-travelling. Both were defeated by Redblade, but the Strange showed up. Redblade managed a surely-fatal attack with "Spirit Arrows" but Strange astrally projected his soul out of his body right before impact, saving himself. Redblade prepared to attack Strange's defenseless body, but Strange returned (after fending off a spirit-buffalo herd) and shot him with a "Magical Golden Bullet" that de-powered him. Redblade's warriors carried him away while Strange told them to meet the future with courage (that sounds pretty callous an ineffectual, lol- "Hey so sorry you got genocided, but grow some balls, y'all"). Strange points out in the present that disaster would have arisen had Redblade succeded- possibly an "Indian Wars" lasting decades longer and ending far more brutally (if you can believe that).

-Redblade is actually a very versatile low-level sorcerer- it's unclear just how deadly his Spirit Arrows are, as Dr. Strange deliberately uses his Astral Form to avoid them. However, Redblade is prepared and drives Strange's astral self away using a herd of spirit buffalo. He's one of the few sorcerers I've seen who can straight-up transform himself into a giant monster, too. But he seems unable to prevent Strange from just de-powering him once it's a more clear fight.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

I know it's a random reference, but every time I hear about a character excessively fainting I picture two things. Jean Grey in the X-Men Animated Series, and the Toons Take Over episode of Tiny Toon Adventures where the main characters write their own episode and Babs spends the entire "filmed" time swooning and talking about how heavy her soul is.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:37 am
Goldar wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:15 pm I know what you mean,......except, .....i think the mystics I listed above are pretty much consistent in portrayals.

But do not forget, Spidey was shown as beating up Firelord, an undoable thing. I know the writers stated that it was Spidey fighting the hardest he could on the best day of his life while Firelord was really having an off day. They did that for Cap beating Hulk. Nay, I say thee! I do not buy it. No, not even for a second! it was someone not wanting the fight to turn out like it should have ended. Same thing when Jean first became Phoenix. Marvel was afraid to have her fight Thor---who they originally intended her to fight---and win---but in the end, before going to print, they did not want a female defeating a male. And they did not want Phoenix to defeat Thor. Enter Firelord.
The "Firelord Incident" has been complained about for decades for a reason, and is notably the only time that's ever really happened with Spider-Man (a hero with thousands of appearances). With Magic-users, this happens far more often, especially nowadays.
Oh, I do believe you, especially happening today, as you say with magic users.

But the magic users I listed are pretty consistent.

LOL, yeah everyone knows of the "Infamous Firelord Incident"!
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:55 am
Goldar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:29 am I know and I agree with you. I just like seeing Clea!

I'd love to see Clea in her own Book, don't care if it's a One-shot or Maxi series!

But knowing how Marvel work's right now, it'd get swamped with SJW's lamblasting it before it even appears. :(
There is a new Defenders book coming out so maybe we can get some Clea...!
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Skavenger wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:49 am I know it's a random reference, but every time I hear about a character excessively fainting I picture two things. Jean Grey in the X-Men Animated Series, and the Toons Take Over episode of Tiny Toon Adventures where the main characters write their own episode and Babs spends the entire "filmed" time swooning and talking about how heavy her soul is.
Well, the TAS Jean was really a Jean from the 1960's in terms of power. So you could also add to that list early Wanda (after 2 or 3 hexes), early Sue (if she did too much invisibility or invisibility and force fields) and early Natasha Black Widow (who was always losing and being knocked out and kidnapped). Even early Jan Wasp was also captured and/or knocked out, whether at Wasp-size or human size.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Goldar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:01 pm LOL, yeah everyone knows of the "Infamous Firelord Incident"!
If Marvel still did their old No Prize thing, I’d propose a simple means of clearing up the whole business: It was actually a Doombot, cosplaying as Firelord for reasons that only be understood by a mind as brilliant as Doom!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:46 pm
Goldar wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:01 pm LOL, yeah everyone knows of the "Infamous Firelord Incident"!
If Marvel still did their old No Prize thing, I’d propose a simple means of clearing up the whole business: It was actually a Doombot, cosplaying as Firelord for reasons that only be understood by a mind as brilliant as Doom!
Hahaha, I love it! The No-Prize is yours. Anything to wipe that fight out of existence. When was that, like 1986? 35 years later that fight was so lousy that everyone knows of it. No-Prize it away as a DoomPlot using a DoomBot.
Last edited by Goldar on Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

The Spider-Man/Firelord incident reminds me of the Black Panther/Silver Surfer arm lock.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'