Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Doctor Strange! Cyrus! The Ancient One! Baron Mordo!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:11 am I specialize in Japanese women's pro wrestling from their 1990s Golden Age (when all the companies got together to put on mega-shows), but I also have a "Dream Matches" column focusing on the "Wait, THOSE guys wrestled?" aspects of pro wrestling.
Just point me to the post where you sing endless hymns of praise to my beloved Jumping Bomb Angels.

Noriyo Tateno and Itsuki Yamazaki were decades ahead of their time.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Welcome to Wrestling my Man, Welcome to the Craziest place in the World today.....:lol:
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:27 am Welcome to Wrestling my Man, Welcome to the Craziest place in the World today.....:lol:
I don't really think Jabroniville is new to the world of wrasslin'
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:00 am
Tattooedman wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:39 am Never knew Mordo,had the "suddenly introduced kid nobody knew about" thing. Sounds kinda like a waste of a character IMO.
That depends on how you do it. Having the kid villian go against the Main Heroes Sidekick is a great way to introduce 'em. Having 'em take on the Main Hero is Dumb.
Which was my point.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:29 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:27 am Welcome to Wrestling my Man, Welcome to the Craziest place in the World today.....:lol:
I don't really think Jabroniville is new to the world of wrasslin'
Ah, but has he Earned that title yet, by OUR estimations my dear masked Joshin? ;)
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:14 am
Tattooedman wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:39 am Never knew Mordo,had the "suddenly introduced kid nobody knew about" thing. Sounds kinda like a waste of a character IMO.
Her being eager to please her father and be "I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO evil, daddy!" would be a completely unique character to comics (like a less-crazy and more-adorable version of Rose "Ravager" Wilson), but I think I'm just copying Carla Delgado from Elena of Avalor.
I'll take your word on that, given you're the resident expert on Elena of Avalor.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Lord Phyffe

Post by Jabroniville »

LORD PHYFFE (Lord Julian Phyffe, aka Azrael- The Angel of Death)
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Doctor Strange #9 (April 1975)
Role: Low-Level Wizard, Weakling Wizard-Turned-Turncoat
Group Affiliations: None

-Lord Phyffe was one of four magical adepts summoned by Clea to aide Doctor Strange in his battle against Dormammu early in Steve Englehart's run on the character's title. Though he attempted to help, he was revealed to be a weak-willed man- he was shaken too badly by various circumstances (such as learning that the universe had been destroyed and then rebuilt by Eternity), then went home to England. He next turns up in Paris, and has allied with Baron Mordo! This was in payment for saving him from some other calamity, but Mordo soon kills his agent, then raises him from the dead. He promises a pasty Phyffe to give him "eternal rest" if he only kills Strange, and rechristens him "Azrael- The Angel of Death". His touch ages Dr. Strange badly, but he casts one final mega-spell, calling upon Satannish to strike Azrael down- he is nuked, and has never returned.

-Lord Phyffe's abilities when alive are unknown- he is not seen spellcasting, apparently. As Azrael, he had a "Death Touch" that can weaken anything he touches, crumbling buildings to dust and aging Dr. Strange to near-death.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:21 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:11 am I specialize in Japanese women's pro wrestling from their 1990s Golden Age (when all the companies got together to put on mega-shows), but I also have a "Dream Matches" column focusing on the "Wait, THOSE guys wrestled?" aspects of pro wrestling.
Just point me to the post where you sing endless hymns of praise to my beloved Jumping Bomb Angels.

Noriyo Tateno and Itsuki Yamazaki were decades ahead of their time.
https://blogofdoom.com/index.php/2020/0 ... mb-angels/
https://blogofdoom.com/index.php/2020/0 ... mb-angels/
https://blogofdoom.com/index.php/2021/0 ... mb-angels/

Full bios AND details of their rivalry with the Crush Gals (who were more basic workers, but ENORMOUSLY more popular).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Maybe it's because I was born on the wrong continent, maybe it's because I was born in the wrong generation, or maybe it's because I've never quite been able to grok wrestling... But it baffles me that the Crush Gals were more "over" than the Jumping Bomb Angels. It's my understanding that the JBA's were a bit more "girly" and the Crush Gals were a bit more "bad ass," which could explain their popularity with the Japanese youth of the mid-Eighties. American teens of the same era thought that Madonna was a hell of a lot cooler than Debbie Gibson, despite Gibson clearly having the better musical chops... Kids like "rebels."
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Wrestling and I have a torrid history. I was huuuuuge into the glory days of the WW(insert letter here). Hacksaw Jim Dugan, Andre, Macho Man, all of them, but I was a massive fan of Hulk Hogan as a child. I'm one of the few people who can describe, in detail, most of the episodes of Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling. However, Lil' Skav didn't get Pay Per View, and was still young enough to believe that "good guys won in the end," so when Hulk Hogan was scheduled to face The Undertaker, Lil' Skav knew it was a sure thing. The good guy would win, the bad guy would lose. Then at school, it broke. Hogan lost. Lil' Skav was crushed. He skipped the entire Attitude era, really only knows Dwayne Johnson from movies, and if he ever sees an episode while flipping through channels, he would lament the loss of colorful characters, great costumes, and how even this could be laughed off without destroying a career.

This, of course, being years before he really knew much about the system, how broken it is, how dickish certain people were, and how Hogan really wasn't a role model outside of the ring, but, y'know, childhood heroes, right?

(However, I really have been enjoying GLOW. I have to watch it in bursts, it can feel a little too "real" sometimes, but that's also partly due to there being such an amazing cast. I know it ends prematurely, but I'm just getting into the third season.)

(But seriously, a series where a much more adult Annie Edison and Knives Chow wrestle? The only way it would have been better would be if it had just starred them and added the phrase "THEY FIGHT CRIME.")

As for Mordo, one of the few appearances of him I ever read was in David's X-Factor, where he goes up against Strong Guy, Monet, and Darwin, and believes he cured his cancer by absorbing life force from Monet, when in fact she used her telepathy to just make him think it happened. But he was easily a threat the three weren't going to be able to defeat by themselves otherwise.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:07 am Maybe it's because I was born on the wrong continent, maybe it's because I was born in the wrong generation, or maybe it's because I've never quite been able to grok wrestling... But it baffles me that the Crush Gals were more "over" than the Jumping Bomb Angels. It's my understanding that the JBA's were a bit more "girly" and the Crush Gals were a bit more "bad ass," which could explain their popularity with the Japanese youth of the mid-Eighties. American teens of the same era thought that Madonna was a hell of a lot cooler than Debbie Gibson, despite Gibson clearly having the better musical chops... Kids like "rebels."
It goes a lot into Japanese culture, but there's a lot of factors:

1) Chigusa had "It". She was the biggest star in women's wrestling history, bar none. The fans were INSANE for her- they idolized her in every way. The mega-feud with the Atrocious Alliance (a gang of biker/punk-rock heels) also turned the Gals into mega-stars and the ultimate sympathetic babyfaces, seen powering up out of whatever insane stuff the Alliance did to them. Chigusa would bleed all over the place as Dump Matsumoto and her gang stabbed her with forks and spikes, cry when she lost, but still get RIGHT BACK UP and fight those evil heels. They were almost literal supervillains, and Chigusa was the brave "normal girl" anime heroine.

Watch the fans' response to Chigusa losing the Hair vs. Hair match and being shaved bald in the early part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M24DjCp ... ito-X-Puro

At points in the match, Dump covers Chigusa and the fans SCREAM in horror- they live or die with the shifting of the momentum.

2) The Gals got there first, so the JB Angels had a ways to go. So they were already walking in to the most over wrestlers in the company's history, after they'd been "made" by the Alliance feud.

3) Tateno in particular was GORGEOUS, and that made her more of a "Pretty Girl" wrestler. Most of the really big stars in "joshi" (Japanese women's wrestling) were tomboyish- short hair, athletic, plain faces. The audience looked a lot more like Chigusa & Asuka than they did Tateno & Yamazaki. They were attainable- like them if they were tougher. They saw themselves in the Gals. The Angels were too glamorous and too flashy- the girls (the average age of fans at this point was below 18) knew they couldn't be the Angels.

The Gals also weren't slouches- their stuff wasn't as innovative, but they had impressive kicks, could fly around, and Asuka in particular was a great technical wrestler (one of the best solo matches of the '80s was her against Jaguar Yokota).

This goes down to audiences- Joshi was seen as a "teen girls thing" in Japan in the '80s (very few men in the audiences)- the "Better Workers" got noticed by men in the '90s and it altered the audience a bit.

4) The "Better Workers" are rarely the most popular people in wrestling. Charisma matters more than anything. The best worker in early 2000s WWF was Chris Benoit- a half-crippled Steve Austin and The Rock were much, MUCH more popular. The Wrestling Boom of the '80s was started by Hulk Hogan, who was the biggest star for a decade- not better workers like Randy Savage or Ricky Steamboat (and Savage & Steamboat were around the same level in the ring, but Savage was more charismatic, and was thus far more successful). The WWF was a territory full of big guys compared to WCW, which usually had better workers, and was MUCH more successful because it had the more charismatic guys.

In Joshi itself, the best worker was probably Manami Toyota (who was inspired & trained by Yamazaki of the Angels, and boy you can really tell). And she was a big star... but mostly because of her charisma. All the top stars had to be great characters first.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

“...and they fight crime!” makes every concept better.

He’s an orphaned circus acrobat adopted by a billionaire, she’s a mousy librarian with a brown belt in judo... and they fight crime!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’ve never been able to grok wrestling, part of me wants to like it... Unfortunately, I feel like I became “smart” to how it all works years after anything I’d have liked about it had passed by. I miss the colorful costumes and outlandish personalities of the Eighties. Modern day wrestling seems to consist mostly of interchange guys whose only gimmicks all seem to be “is a wrestler” and whose personalities all seem to be “is angry at other wrestler.”

Plus, I haven’t had television since 2000, only DVDs / Streaming. Makes it hard to watch a live “sporting” event and I’m certainly not interested in signing up for WWE’s App or whatever (I’ve already got Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon! I don’t want another one!)

On the other hand, I am incredibly thankful for wrestling fandom’s terminology. It is so damn useful in explaining superhero comic books and similar genres: getting over, generating heat, face, heel, babyface, hope spot, squash match... and the greatest vocabulary contribution of them all... Jobber.

It’s beautiful man.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:07 am Maybe it's because I was born on the wrong continent, maybe it's because I was born in the wrong generation, or maybe it's because I've never quite been able to grok wrestling... But it baffles me that the Crush Gals were more "over" than the Jumping Bomb Angels. It's my understanding that the JBA's were a bit more "girly" and the Crush Gals were a bit more "bad ass," which could explain their popularity with the Japanese youth of the mid-Eighties. American teens of the same era thought that Madonna was a hell of a lot cooler than Debbie Gibson, despite Gibson clearly having the better musical chops... Kids like "rebels."
Reminded me of that pre-internet feud of who was cooler, badder and better singer: Tiffany or Debbie Gibson. :?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Tiffany. She was in the greatest semi-blaxploitation/bruceploitation Movie ever made.... The Last Dragon. :D