Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Clea! The Dread Dormammu! Umar! Fear Lords!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Skavenger wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:57 am Oh, right! The poll!

Um.

Old:

1) Daredevil
2) Cosmic
3) Crusaders

New:

1) Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty (...what?)
2) Martial Masters (...what?)
3) Guilty Gear

But oh, when you have the stomach to ask for suggestions, ohhh, am I ready. And much like these recent characters, I will feed on your fear! :twisted:
LOL well I've largely changed my perception on requests over the years. Though my distaste for them was so infamous people still think I don't do them on here, I sorta altered my stance since I was just so happy people actually followed my thread here after the board split (there was a time when I was almost certain my thread was doomed). So I'm more accepting of requests now. It doesn't mean I'll DO THEM, of course- if I don't know anything about a subject I'm almost guaranteed to avoid it. But people are allowed to do them without invoking my rage :).
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:26 am Okay! So it's been a couple months since I ran a poll, and since then, we've gotten Macyn, Batgirl AND Skavenger back! Hi guys! Holy cow did y'all miss some stuff :). Go back and read all my Avengers and Disney Builds pronto :P!

But I figured I'll run another couple of polls here. Two different ones- one for "Old Builds to Re-Post" and one for "All-New Builds". Just to gauge interest and see where I'll be going in the next few months. I have a few sets coming up sooner rather than later (Hellfire Club, The Last Blade, some Jobber Villain teams), so they won't be on there.

Please vote for your first, second and third choices, if possible.

Old Builds To Re-Post:
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (this is about 4 years old, but Ares was missing that time and so couldn't comment, lol)
* Marvel's Cosmic Heroes/Guardians of the Galaxy (both generations of the Guardians, plus Adam Warlock, the Kree, and other space characters I haven't gotten to yet)
* Beavis & Butt-Head and Daria
* The Mighty Crusaders (the frequently-discarded Archie heroes)
* Daredevil Builds
* Iron Man Builds

New Builds: (mostly)
* Batman Family Builds (I've only ever done the Timm/Dini-Verse versions of the villains, for example)
* Superman Builds (*shrug* I dunno. I've statted Supes nine billion times but there's others I've missed)
* Green Lantern Builds (people have noted I never actually made 3e builds of these guys, I guess? I thought I did for my big DC set, but I guess some were missed?)
* Guilty Gear series (the most popular new 2D fighting game series of the past 20 years, with some of the wildest characters)
* Rise of the Robots (the infamously terrible game series with the pretty graphics)
* Martial Masters (some pretty wild Capcom-inspired Chinese concept fighting game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac65Nf9 ... fLongplays)
* Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty (another Chinese-themed game. The only fighting game I've ever seen where one character is a GUY ON A HORSE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOyVyu ... izalid99v2)
Old Builds

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (One of the greatest set of characters created in the 1980's)
2) Marvel's Cosmic Heroes/Guardians of the Galaxy (Cosmic stuff is fun)
3) Iron Man Builds (I'll always have a great fondness for Old Shellhead, he was the first superhero I really connected with)

New Builds

1) Guilty Gear (What a crazy bunch of characters, I would like to see how you stat some of them up)
2) Batman Family Builds (Not my favorite, but these characters are so iconic they should be added for reference, and Batman always sparks a good discussion.)
3) Green Lantern Builds (I would have said Superman, but GL deserves to be updated first. A very underrated franchise.)
Orbiter

Post by Orbiter »

Old: The three Marvel options.

New: The ones that aren't DC, I've never even heard of so, enthusiasm is hard to muster. Also, one of my favorite short poems is that one supposedly written by science fiction writer Alfred Bester.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

1. Cosmic heroes/Guardians of the Galaxy.
2. The Mighty Crusaders.
3. Green Lanterns!
Jabroniville

Dream Weaver

Post by Jabroniville »

DREAM WEAVER (Barbara "Barbie" Robb)
Created By:
Roger Stern & Allan Kupperberg
First Appearance: Doctor Strange #32 (Dec. 1978)
Role: One-Off Threat
Group Affiliations: None

-Barbie Robb was a foundling child who grew up in an orphanage, but eventually learned that she was born in the otherworldly Many Moons of Munnopor. This left her with some mystical power, and the Dweller-In-Darkness lent her the power to make her dreams reality. She cured her hangover instantly, turned her apartment into a palace, and gave herself a wild costume- this was draining work, but the Dweller told her that the Book of the Vishanti would give her all the energy she needed, and so he sent her after Doctor Strange. She fought him and Clea, giving the latter nightmares and sending "mirror images" after Strange, who fought them off. She then showed up in normal guise to manipulate the two, making them fall asleep with a boring story that didn't go anywhere ("Anyways, the important thing was, I was wearing an onion on my belt- which was the style at the time...") and then forcing Strange's "Dream Self" to give her the Book. But Strange revealed he'd known her deception all along, then showed her the depths of power she was drawing from, stunning her. He wiped her memories and sent her back home, leaving only the insights gained from the ordeal. The Dweller, of course, would recur.

-So yeah, just a complete one-off taking place over a pair of issues. The character is later mentioned in Tarot as returning soon, but NOPE. Just a minor thing to set up the Dweller down the road.

-Dream Weaver can make her dreams reality- a wide-scale Transform effect. She can alter her appearance, fly, and summon beings.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Wong

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL almost sixty years of existence and he has 37 pictures on ComicVine.

WONG
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Strange Tales #110 (July 1963)
Role: Ethnic Helper
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (105)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+11)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Magic) 8 (+11)
Expertise (Manservant) 6 (+9)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Close Attack, Defensive Attack, Ranged Attack

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Dr. Strange's Employ)- Wong is devoted, as all firstborne males in his family are, to the service of good- chiefly The Sorceror Supreme of Earth.
Relationship (Sara Wolfe, Imei Chang)- Wong was attracted to Dr. Strange's secretary, but broke it off when his arranged bride came of age. Imei was later killed, sending Wong into a maddened state for a while.
Relationship (Dr. Strange)- The two are close friends, but have had their differences- Wong was a savage enemy after Strange was responsible for Imei's death (it was save her, or save several more people).

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (105)

-Wong is part of the classic old fiction trope, which kind of hit its peak between the Newspaper Comic Strip and Comic Book Silver Age Eras- the "Ethnic Helper" character. Mandrake the Magician had Lothar, The Green Hornet had Kato, and TONS of guys had, uh... controversial-looking black buddies- sometimes the characters are for gags, and sometimes they're there to add a sense of mysticism or "the old ways" to a character. And so it was a Genre Convention that Doctor Strange would have an Asian-looking helper character named Wong as his assistant. Unusually, he is the ONLY Silver Age Marvel character with this old genre convention, which is no longer seen as quite so appropriate. But Wong has been Grandfather Claused in, and usually remains at Strange's side as friend and confidante.

-Wong was Strange's manservant for years, and we'd finally learn that he was descended from a man who had, unbeknownst to him, aided an Evil Warlord in stealing souls and grabbing power- the man then devoted his family lineage to serving good Wizards instead. Wong briefly pursued a relationship with Strange's secretary Sara Wolfe, but soon an arranged marriage with Imei Chang got in the way, and he instead went with her. Wong was once turned into a vampire by Dracula, and abducted by Urthona and the Shadowqueen (the wife of Wong's descendant), but was rescued by the hero every time- in short, Wong is a "Dude in Distress", actually getting kidnapped almost as much as the women Strange likes.

-He has a cute-looking relationship with Imei, but she is ultimately killed in the grim & gritty '90s by Sister Nil, one of the Lilin. Strange could have saved her, but instead chose to save a multitude of people- this drove Wong insane with rage, and he became a regular opponent for a while until the two finally made peace- Wong was allowed to say goodbye to Imei's spirit on a joint quest the two men went on. After this, they resolved to see each other as equals, not master & servant. But the '90s soon ended Strange's regular book, and so Wong was hit by an epic case of "Back To Basics Syndrome", suddenly becoming just a manservant again in many stories that featured Strange. He helps serve the runaway Avengers, has a cancer that Strange must cure, and turns out to have formed a secret group of wizards to protect Strange from behind the scenes. All extremely minor stuff, really- I think he got the most focus as a real character in that 1980s-90s span. Which is kinda too bad because he's, like, Marvel's only Asian hero for AGES.

-Wong is a solid PL 7.5 fighter, being more of a capable Assistant than a major fighter on his own (I mean, he does ALRIGHT, but the Professional Super-Heroes are likely out of his league- it's not like the dude gets to spar all the time).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Umar! Dweller-in-Darkness! Lurking Unknown! Wong!)

Post by Jabroniville »

I'm a little stunned the Mighty Crusaders are doing so well, lol- they're not exactly well-known characters. They've also been rebooted more times than DC's rebooted its continuity.

TMNT is also a bit surprising, given that my old set is not quite that old.

And I knew that the DC builds would likely overwhelm the fighting game ones, so I put three groups up so they'd cannibalize each other :). As expected, Superman's popularity is determined by how easily the other two outstripped him in votes.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:01 pm I'm a little stunned the Mighty Crusaders are doing so well, lol- they're not exactly well-known characters. They've also been rebooted more times than DC's rebooted its continuity.

And I knew that the DC builds would likely overwhelm the fighting game ones, so I put three groups up so they'd cannibalize each other :). As expected, Superman's popularity is determined by how easily the other two outstripped him in votes.
The Cosmics are also highly requested. Glad to see I wasn't the only one. Being from space, of course this would be high on my listing. :P
Last edited by Goldar on Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

It will be very rare for me to *not* choose Marvel or DC builds over all else, and "traditional" superheroes from other companies, over all other media. I have pretty much no interest in any TV series.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Wong is really well portrayed in Jim Butcher's Spider-Man novel, The Darkest Hours, where he helps out in a situation at the school where Peter's teaching, demonstrating a high level of Expertise: Basketball in addition to his other talents. (Okay, you can probably put this under Athletics, but still.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
scc

Post by scc »

Old Builds To Re-Post:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Marvel's Cosmic Heroes/Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man

New Builds:

Batman
Guilty Gear series
Green Lantern Builds

Looking forward to your Rainbow Raider build.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:01 pm I'm a little stunned the Mighty Crusaders are doing so well, lol- they're not exactly well-known characters. They've also been rebooted more times than DC's rebooted its continuity.

In all honesty, i loved the Impact! Comics line(it's my second biggest rl collection besides my Beloved Avengers) and hated how they got cancelled.

TMNT was always a source of neat Villian Ideas's for me(especially the Archie line, which is the one i INSIST you do Jab! :P), so it's always fun.

And again, i'm helping out BG with getting her bat-fix...:)
Sidney369

Re: Dream Weaver

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:33 pm
-So yeah, just a complete one-off taking place over a pair of issues. The character is later mentioned in Tarot as returning soon, but NOPE. Just a minor thing to set up the Dweller down the road.
The Marvel Tarot seemed to be setting several things up, but due to the failure of Mystic Arcana, nothing came of any of it.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Re: Dream Weaver

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidney369 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:06 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:33 pm
The Marvel Tarot seemed to be setting several things up, but due to the failure of Mystic Arcana, nothing came of any of it.
Was that a separate line? I know Marvel was ALL ABOUT random offshoot lines back then.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

The vote is simple for me:

1) Comics related things

Not really interested in whatever the other things are. So:

Old stuff
Iron Man
Marvel cosmic stuff
Mighty Crusaders

New builds
Superman family
Green Lanterns
Batman family