Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Imei Chang

Post by Jabroniville »

IMEI CHANG
Created By:
Roger Stern, Peter B. Gillis & Richard Case
First Appearance: Strange Tales #17 (Aug. 1988)
Role: Suddenly-Introduced Fiancée
Group Affiliations: None

-Imei is the little-known one-time fiancée of Doctor Strange's manservant, Wong. She seems to be a complication to his budding relationship with Sara Wolfe, but I guess they get along well because this arranged marriage deal simply turns out to be just her hanging around with the gang. She finds Strange's work fascinating, and is more or less the "Normal person the others explain things to" character. Curiously, the idea for her is placed there by Roger Stern in 1986, but she doesn't appear until Peter B. Gillis's run on the character, continuing on for a year until Roy & Dann Thomas take over- nearly all of her character stuff comes from Gillis & they.

-Imei & Wong happily planned their wedding over a couple of years (she was briefly "dusted" during The Infinity Gauntlet), and... well, the pics on Marvunapp seem to indicate she was also a "Fanservice" character, showing up in skimpy lingerie at least once, but then... it was the early '90s. EVERY female character did that. Mary Jane was in her negligee so much that the Marvel Soapbox began calling attention to her apparently not owning any actual clothes!

-New Doctor Strange writer David Quinn promptly kills her off in 1993- she is grabbed by Sister Nil, one of the Lilin, and immediately crumbles to dust- one of the few named characters ever killed by a "Death Touch" character. Wong is enraged that Strange did nothing to stop it, choosing instead to save a large group of people. The demon Xaos appears to be Imei for a while, fooling Wong until it's revealed and destroyed. Eventually, Wong & Strange made peace, and Imei's spirit convinced Wong to move on before ascending to a higher place. All in all, the character only lasted five years. It seems very... odd, all in all. Like she pops up as a fiancée and they just happen to be together and she's a permanent Backgrounder from then on until the new guy takes over and Refrigerates her almost as soon as he shows up. And in all that time, she never actually DID anything! Like, she's not central to any story, nor is she a Damsel In Distress- she's just kinda THERE until she's dead.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Umar! Dweller-in-Darkness! Lurking Unknown! Wong!)

Post by MacynSnow »

I honestly didn't know this chick existed untill now, and i'm the "Cool Background Character Info" dude on here! :shock:
Sidney369

Re: Dream Weaver

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:04 am
Sidney369 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:06 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:33 pm
-So yeah, just a complete one-off taking place over a pair of issues. The character is later mentioned in Tarot as returning soon, but NOPE. Just a minor thing to set up the Dweller down the road.
The Marvel Tarot seemed to be setting several things up, but due to the failure of Mystic Arcana, nothing came of any of it.
Was that a separate line? I know Marvel was ALL ABOUT random offshoot lines back then.
It was a series of four one-shots that starring Magik, Black Knight, Scarlet Witch, and Nico Minoru with a subplot featuring Ian McNee tying them together, in addition to a Handbook of magic-related characters and the Tarot. It seemed like they were trying to set up something like Annihilation, only with magic.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Doc chaos

Post by Doc chaos »

Wong has got those hands! When the Hood shot Doctor strange in New Avengers, Wong beat the living crap out of him. I was totally shocked.
As for your next builds it might be too late to vote, but what iteration of TMNT are you doing? I like the 2012 nickelodeon one best. A nice segway into Daredevil what with the Foot and the Hand!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Doc chaos wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:26 am Wong has got those hands! When the Hood shot Doctor strange in New Avengers, Wong beat the living crap out of him. I was totally shocked.
As for your next builds it might be too late to vote, but what iteration of TMNT are you doing? I like the 2012 nickelodeon one best. A nice segway into Daredevil what with the Foot and the Hand!
Actually, they already did link them up. In Daredevil's origin story, he was either coming home from the Pet Store or school(it was Show N'Tell day) and had his pet turtles with him when he saw the Old Man thing. He dropped the Turtle bowl straight over a drain in his rush to help him and the Baby Turtles went down the drain and the rest is History.....

In EVERY version of Matt's origin(save for Age of Apocalypse), they always keep the baby Turtles regardless of anything else. It's both a Neat bit of Crossover fodder AND a fun Laird/Eastman Easter Egg(they did early Daredevil stories before doing Original Turtles).
Jabroniville

The Eye Killers

Post by Jabroniville »

THE EYE KILLERS
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Bob Hall
First Appearance: Doctor Strange #38 (Dec. 1979)
Role: Two-Off Foes, Life-Drainers
PL 8 (126)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 5 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"True Forms"
Morph 1 (Humanoid) [5]
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Owl Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Accurate Hearing) [3]

Eye Blasts 8 (16) -- [18]
  • AE: "Stealers of Souls" Weaken Awareness 8 (8)
  • AE: "Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Claws +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Soul-Stealing +8 (+8 Weaken, DC 18)
Eye Blasts +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Killing People)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 30 / Defenses: 9 (126)

-The Eye Killers are very random, attacking disparate characters like Doctor Strange and Storm... but the answer why becomes obvious once you realize it was a very young Chris Claremont who'd invented them for what is probably a one-off Doctor Strange story. They are a brother/sister pair of demons with the bodies of snakes, heads of owls, and claws of mountain lions, but take human form. Claiming an ancient history focused on Native Americans, they encounter Strange when they kill a friend of his secretary's. Strange follows their "psychic signature" to Inwood Park in Manhattan, where he & Clea fight them. They shrug off his spells until he reveals their true forms using the Eye of Agamotto- they fall into an abyss he creates, but it's suggested they will return.

-Chris, who has a very long memory, brings the Eye Killers back in Uncanny X-Men. Here, they fight a de-powered Storm and the Cheyenne shaman Naze while on their "Vision Quest". Naze is drained by the female, but Storm knocks her into a fire, which reveals her natural form. The brother attacks to save his sister, but Storm stabs him in the throat, whipping him into his sister, where the two die in flames.

-The Eye Killers are kinda weird, being almost immune to Strange's magic but then just jobbing to Storm & Naze pretty quickly. Given the same man wrote both stories it's a bit peculiar. I made them pretty generic PL 8 Life-Drainers- the male shoots black lightning from his eyes, and the female fire, though they are immune to neither.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Doc chaos wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:26 am Wong has got those hands! When the Hood shot Doctor strange in New Avengers, Wong beat the living crap out of him. I was totally shocked.
Pretty much just the 1980s stuff, like the cartoon and live-action movies, but I'll make notes for the others.
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

I'd read some of the run where Imei died and "came back", but I guess hadn't gotten to the part where it was revealed to be Xaos. I remember thinking they had a cool look, at least.

I'm not the biggest fan of the martial arts-oriented take Marvel has been doing with Dr. Strange, being a little too suggestive of Ancient Chinese Secrets. I do like, though, that Wong was given a larger role, as well as magical abilities of his own. It looks like some of that magic has rubbed off on Benedict Wong, the actor playing Wong in the MCU, in that he's been appearing in magically-oriented roles as of late. His turn as Wallace the Necromancer in What We Do in the Shadows was pretty good, I'm curious about his portrayal of a soul whom resisted arbitration in Nine Days, and he's voicing a magician in an upcoming Netflix film.

If votes are still being solicited, feel free to put me down for Cosmic/Daredevil/Green Lantern, in descending order.
Jabroniville

Victor Strange

Post by Jabroniville »

VICTOR STRANGE (aka Baron Blood II, Khiron)
Created By:
Dann Thomas & Jackson Guice
First Appearance: Dr. Strange #10 (Nov. 1989)
Role: Suddenly-Introduced Sibling
PL 9 (141)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 3 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Startle

Powers:
"Super-Strong Vampire"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
Impervious Toughness 14 (Flaws: Not versus Wood, Fire, Silver or Holy Weapons) [7]
Regeneration 10 (Flaws: Source- Blood) [5]
Immortality 4 (Flaws: Not if Staked, Beheaded or Dealt With in Mystical Ways) [4]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]

"Vampiric Flight" Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
Mind Control 8 (Flaws: Limited to Animals, Limited to Wolves & Bats) (16) -- [18]
  • AE: "Hypnotism" Affliction 5 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Vision-Dependent) (10)
  • AE: "Weather Manipulation" Environment 6 (Impede Movement, Cold, Visibility) (Flaws: Tiring) (12)
"The Vampire's Bite" Strength-Damage +1 Linked to Weaken Stamina 8 (Flaws: Grab-Based, Limited to 1 Rank Per Minute) Linked to Affliction 8 (Fort; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Vampire) (Extras: Cumulative) (Flaws: Grab-Based) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Vampire's Bite +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Weakness (Garlic, Sunlight, Fire)- Both are anathema to vampires, and will cause horrible pain. Direct sunlight will kill a vampire of any power level. The vampiric "ichor" in his veins is also highly-flammable, and he will burn to ashes very quickly.
Weakness (Holy Symbols)- Witnessing or touching a Holy Symbol is painful to vampires, but only if the wearer belives.
Weakness (Lack of Blood, Home Soil)- Though Immune to Fortitude Effects, Victor can effectively starve to death if deprived of blood- he is even addicted to the substance. He may or may not have to stay in contact with his native soil.
Quirk (No Reflection)- Vampires do not cast reflections in any mirrored surface.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 100 / Defenses: 11 (151)

-Oh man, you wanna talk Suddenly-Introduced Siblings? Look no further than Victor Strange, the suddenly-revealed VAMPIRE BROTHER of Doctor Strange, introduced in 19-frickin-89! So it turns out that Strange's parents had three kids, and the youngest, Victor, was enraged at Stephen for bailing on visiting their father's deathbed, having already lived through the death of their mother. Following a huge argument, Victor dashed out of Stephen's apartment and was run over by an oncoming car. Stephen, even MORE grief-stricken, placed Victor's body in cold storage, hoping he could some day be revived. When he was younger, he attempted to cast a mystical spell on Victor to revive him, but it failed.

-So of course someone does revive him... but it's when the Montesi Formula that wiped out all the vampires fades away, and so Victor awakens as a vampire because of Stephen's spell! The evil Marie Laveau controls him like a pet, rechristening him as the second "Baron Blood", wearing the costume of the first. Eventually, however, he was freed from her control and helps Stephen defeat her. He decides to stay with his brother, agreeing to only feed on criminals, making him one of many, MANY "Edgelord Crook-Killing Superheroes" active at the time. He formed a relationship with Morgana Blessing, Stephen's 1980s girlfriend, and helped out on numerous adventures, defeating Zom, the Mindless Ones, and more. When crooks aren't available, he feasts on his willing girlfriend, Morgana (ick). The villain Cagliostro fought Victor, hoping to get one of Earth's last vampires to supply his need for their blood. Eventually, however, Victor's craving for blood began to overpower him- fearing the death of innocents, he used the stake on himself, and has never reappeared.

-This story is... pretty ridiculous. It's obvious '90s Edgelord stuff, made all the sadder because it's Roy Thomas, Stan Lee's protege and replacement, doing the writing. It comes off like Roy was looking at all those cool dark stories in other superhero books, and wanted some of that sweet credibility and sales for himself. Just... inventing a brother 26 years after the debut of a character, making him a vampire, and having him half-running away with the book? Pretty goofy. And after this four-year run, the character was dumped and literally never used again, right during the pushes of OTHER vampire characters in Morbius and NightStalkers. I've never even read a comic that MENTIONS him! Given that Doctor Strange himself kind of became a little-used character, it's probably inevitable that his side-characters would vanish, but still.

-I figure Victor for a PL 9 version of a vampire. He wasn't really around long enough to show a lot, and most bio-sites are short on info for him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Fear Lords! Wong! Eye Killers! Victor Strange!)

Post by Batgirl III »

I’m always tempted to make fun of the Baron Blood costume... But... well... glass houses.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I like the Baron Blood costume and colors.

But I was like, wait, what is Baron Blood (Invaders foe) doing here?
Davies

Post by Davies »

... yeah, trying to turn the Nazi vampire he came up with into an anti-heroic figure is another "what were you thinking, Roy?" moment.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

You know, up until now I never really thought about it, but the Baron Blood costume leaves something to be desired in the ear department. Having spent some time around bats and digging around online, the head doesn't look like that of a vampire bat. The nose is pointed, and the ears are thin, pulled back, and pointed as well. It has the appearance more of the common little brown bat of the American south. Plus, while there are purple bats, the only ones I'm aware of are the Mexican long tongued bats that eat nectar.

Man, that costume fails on every level.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

You know, if they had Really wanted to push "Vampire Anti-Hero" Strange, they could've done a Homage of Forever Knight and set Victor and his Sicko girlfriend in Seattle, Vancouver or even Seacover as a Police Detective (it's not like Doc Strange wouldn't fuck around with a bit of the mind mojo to help his little bro out....) and for god's sake keep him in Plain Cloths! i don't want that eyesore of a costume anywhere NEAR this guy! fine, give him the Baron Blood name, just no costume...
Jabroniville

Salome

Post by Jabroniville »

SALOME (Semiramis)
Created By:
David Quinn & Geof Isherwood
First Appearance: Marvel Comics Presents #146 (Jan. 1994)
Role: Witch Queen

-Oddly enough, there have been FOUR WOMEN named Salome in the Marvel Universe. Most are background characters (one was the consort of an ancestor of Sebastian Shaw's in the Hellfire Club... which goes against the history where he was a self-made man, but whatevers; another was the daughter of the Living Monolith; yet another fought Conan the Barbarian), but this one came from the anthology book Marvel Comics Presents and faced Doctor Strange. She was a former follower of Zarathos (the demon that possesses Danny Ketch to turn him into Ghost Rider, and rebelled in order to become the first Earth-borne Sorcerer Supreme. She was created by two guys I've never heard of (David Quinn & Geoff Isherwood- the latter is I guess a regular on Strange). To be honest... she's the EXACT same kind of character Lilith was, and has the same general role in the story ("Sexed-Up Evil Demon Queen"). She's even ancient, a powerful sorcerer, etc.! It really comes off as if those guys were done the big "Lilith" story and literally couldn't come up with any other plot.

-So as Sorcerer Supreme, Salome began to demand worship, and was eventually banished to another dimension along with the rest of Zarathos's followers. In modern times, she engaged in psychic assaults against Doctor Strange, who was busy leading the Midnight Sons against Lilith's squadron of demons- an exhausted Strange willingly submits the role of "Sorcerer Supreme" to her and bails to regain his strength. She fights the other Sons for a bit and forms a cult, then corrupts two doppelgangers Strange had made of himself- this is needlessly complex and twists and turns- it'd be normal for MCP (which had 5-6 pages to tell each chapter, so had a TON of "endings" and restarts of the climaxes), but this went on for MONTHS in all the Midnight Sons books. Ultimately, she is beaten when Strange traps her limbs into various dimensions, then uses her own "Biospheric Magic" against her- she is destroyed or banished herself.

-Salome had bat wings, and seemed to favor green fire. She draws power from death and negative emotions- without them, she is greatly weakened.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.