Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Victor Strange! Satan! The Defenders! Dark-Crawler!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Yeah.....Much as i Adore my Avengers, that wasn't their finest moment. You could argue that Marcus had done something Mental to them or that they Legit thought Carol was OK with it all, but in the end it still happened to a Great character and changed the Entirety of her Character growth...
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:58 am No comic book published by Marvel, DC, or any other major publisher can be “The Worst Comic of All Time” so long as Avengers (Vol. 1) #200 is still allowed to exist in our timeline.

Carol Danvers is raped, gives birth to her rapist, falls in love with him, and leaves the team in order to travel to Limbo to live with her rapist... and the rest of the Avengers treat this as a happy occasion.

God knows I’m not one to shout “misogyny!” at every occurrence of a female character being on the receiving end of some sort of plot-driven suffering, but... Wow.
The not-so-funny thing is that starting with issue #202 the entire team started questioning their own sanity for allowing this to happen.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:55 am
Batgirl III wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:58 am No comic book published by Marvel, DC, or any other major publisher can be “The Worst Comic of All Time” so long as Avengers (Vol. 1) #200 is still allowed to exist in our timeline.

Carol Danvers is raped, gives birth to her rapist, falls in love with him, and leaves the team in order to travel to Limbo to live with her rapist... and the rest of the Avengers treat this as a happy occasion.

God knows I’m not one to shout “misogyny!” at every occurrence of a female character being on the receiving end of some sort of plot-driven suffering, but... Wow.
The not-so-funny thing is that starting with issue #202 the entire team started questioning their own sanity for allowing this to happen.
Well, if they had questioned things appropriately before #202, then that never would have happened to Carol.

About time they took some responsibility for their actions/lack of actions.

Superheroing is more than just putting on the tights.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:55 am

Goldar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:43 pmWell, if they had questioned things appropriately before #202, then that never would have happened to Carol.

About time they took some responsibility for their actions/lack of actions.

Superheroing is more than just putting on the tights.
If there wasn't the option to simply ignore the story (which most people apparently have), I'd just retcon it that whatever mental powers Marcus used on Carol was also used on the Avengers, and that it only worked because the Avengers were so concerned with Carol and the weird time shenanigans that it left them vulnerable to that influence. And that it took considerable effort to simply get them to ignore their concerns, made more clear that once Carol and Marcus were gone, they started questioning themselves.

I don't want to blame the characters for some stupidity the writer forced on them.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Casiolena

Post by Jabroniville »

CASIOLENA
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Avengers #83 (Dec. 1970
Role: Evil Sorceress

-Casiolena is a Defenders foe that actually debuted in The Avengers- she was an Asgardian sorceress who asked the Executioner to be her mate- unexpectedly (this being about 6 years after his creation), he left the Enchantress for her. When the Enchantress came calling in Steve Englehart's Defenders run, Casiolena defeated and imprisoned her, while the Executioner trained her armies. Doctor Strange, Bruce Banner, Barbara Norris and others were all imprisoned as well, but the Enchantress cleverly turned Barbara into the Valkyrie, who freed the heroes. Casiolena prepared a spell to beat them, but the Enchantress took advantage of the distraction and beat her with one of her own.

-Five years later, David Kraft writes Casiolena allying with Ollerus the Unmerciful, who plans on usurping Hela's role as the ruler of the dead. She bickers with Poppo the Cunning, another subordinate, but ultimately both disappear when Ollerus's "moving mountain" citadel is destroyed by the Hulk at the end of the story. The character thus disappears for almost FORTY YEARS, popping up in Patsy Walker, a.k.a. Hellcat in 2016, being banished from Asgard for lashing out over being compared to the Enchantress. She formed an army alongside Poppo, then captured her foes (including Poppo when he turned on her), but was ultimately beaten when her army realized that she had lied in order to recruit them. Valkyrie arrived to return her to Asgard.

-Casiolena is your classic "Vaguely-Powerful Sorceress", able to accomplish who knows what. She managed to defeat the Enchantress in a 1973 story, but only really shows energy blasts. Later, she is shown creating two intelligent, flying dragons from nothing, and a duplicate of Valkyrie's horse. Aside from that, we know little, though she is an Asgardian so is much stronger and more durable than an ordinary human being.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Re: Casiolena

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:02 pm Image

CASIOLENA
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Avengers #83 (Dec. 1970
Role: Evil Sorceress

-Casiolena is a Defenders foe that actually debuted in The Avengers- she was an Asgardian sorceress who asked the Executioner to be her mate- unexpectedly (this being about 6 years after his creation), he left the Enchantress for her. When the Enchantress came calling in Steve Englehart's Defenders run, Casiolena defeated and imprisoned her, while the Executioner trained her armies. Doctor Strange, Bruce Banner, Barbara Norris and others were all imprisoned as well, but the Enchantress cleverly turned Barbara into the Valkyrie, who freed the heroes. Casiolena prepared a spell to beat them, but the Enchantress took advantage of the distraction and beat her with one of her own.

-Five years later, David Kraft writes Casiolena allying with Ollerus the Unmerciful, who plans on usurping Hela's role as the ruler of the dead. She bickers with Poppo the Cunning, another subordinate, but ultimately both disappear when Ollerus's "moving mountain" citadel is destroyed by the Hulk at the end of the story. The character thus disappears for almost FORTY YEARS, popping up in Patsy Walker, a.k.a. Hellcat in 2016, being banished from Asgard for lashing out over being compared to the Enchantress. She formed an army alongside Poppo, then captured her foes (including Poppo when he turned on her), but was ultimately beaten when her army realized that she had lied in order to recruit them. Valkyrie arrived to return her to Asgard.

-Casiolena is your classic "Vaguely-Powerful Sorceress", able to accomplish who knows what. She managed to defeat the Enchantress in a 1973 story, but only really shows energy blasts. Later, she is shown creating two intelligent, flying dragons from nothing, and a duplicate of Valkyrie's horse. Aside from that, we know little, though she is an Asgardian so is much stronger and more durable than an ordinary human being.
Yay! Casiolena! I love the original Casiolena look---that long luscious almost living deep golden hair! :D

Casiolena is quite powerful. When Casiolena first encountered the Enchantress, the Enchantress did not lash out or fight Casiolena as she left with the Executioner, because Amora's powers were halved by Odin's curse.

While Enchantress is no coward and often was brash in her attacks, she did not confront Casiolena until the pages of the Defenders after her powers had been restored. Enchantress lost the first round, but I believe she only won the second round because Valkyrie performed a choke-hold on Casiolena (which then caused Val physical sickness----for the very first time) causing Val to let her go, startling Casiolena. Enchantress then did a cheap-shot energy blast.
Orbiter

Re: The Defenders

Post by Orbiter »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:18 pm David Anthony Kraft (no idea who that is) ran things for a while
I generally think of him as the guy who ruined The Defenders, especially the Valkyrie, and gave the She-Hulk such a bad start it was almost also her finish. So, yeah, I'm no fan.
Jabroniville

Poppo the Cunning

Post by Jabroniville »

POPPO THE CUNNING
Created By:
David Kraft & Ed Hannigan
First Appearance: Defenders #66 (Dec. 1978)
Role: Evil Sorcerer
Group Affiliations: None

-Poppo, bearing the most ridiculous combination of name and appearance in history, aided Casiolena under Ollerus The Unmerciful, and faced the Defenders. He used Valkyrie to slay mortals and transport their souls to Valhalla to join the army of Ollerus. He & Casiolena (a pre-existing character) bickered, and disappeared at the end of the story. He was so minor it's not even known what became of him after Ollerus was cast into Nifelheim. He reappeared in the 2016 Patsy Walker, a.k.a. Hellcat series, again allied with Casiolena, but ultimately turned on her. When she was beaten, they were both sent back to Asgard.

-Marvel's Unofficial Appendix describes him as, I kid you not, "a sorcerer of unknown capabilities". Poppo used "The Crystal of Eternal View", which he boasted he'd "Braved a thousand deaths and worse" to obtain, to view anything on any world of his choosing.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Ollerus the Unmerciful

Post by Jabroniville »

Lol WTF is that helmet even?

OLLERUS THE UNMERCIFUL
Created By:
David Kraft & Ed Hannigan
First Appearance: Defenders #66 (Dec. 1978)
Role: Evil Warlord

-Ollerus was a failed, dishonorable Asgardian warrior who had intentions on usurping Hela's role as the Lord of the Dead in Niflheim. He recruited Casiolena & Poppo the Cunning as his top agents, and had thousands of humans killed to join his army in Valhalla, where Hela had gained control. He told them all that Hela was responsible for their deaths, and even convinced the Defenders to fight on his behalf! He nearly had Hela beaten when the heroes realized they were on the wrong side- they turned on him, and ultimately the Hul smashed his "Moving Mountain" base and he was sent falling into Niflheim. When he promised to return with an army, Hela decided to go there herself as well to protect her power base, I guess. She relinquished control of Valhalla, the slain humans were restored to life, and Ollerus, who never got much backstory in the first place, never returned. A few strange three-issue story.

-Ollerus doesn't have any powers shown- he is merely a guy in a suit of blue & purple armor, a really long loincloth on the front, and an ENORMOUS, toothy helmet.
Davies

Re: Ollerus the Unmerciful

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:10 pm
Lol WTF is that helmet even?
... I think it's supposed to be a bullette's head. The tail is the wrong shape for a sea-going shark.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Satan! The Defenders! Dark-Crawler! Casiolena!)

Post by MacynSnow »

If they'd got rid of the human face inside it, it'd be rather intimating...
Ken

Post by Ken »

(not) My Defenders
1. Hyperion
2. Gladiator
3. Blue Marvel
4. the Sentry
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:58 pm (not) My Defenders
1. Hyperion
2. Gladiator
3. Blue Marvel
4. the Sentry
Isn't this a little.......Overpowered? It'd be like having Galactus fight Howard The Duck. :shock:
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:17 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:58 pm (not) My Defenders
1. Hyperion
2. Gladiator
3. Blue Marvel
4. the Sentry
Isn't this a little.......Overpowered? It'd be like having Galactus fight Howard The Duck. :shock:
Galactus better watch out for Howard's Quack-Fu! :lol:
Jabroniville

Fragon

Post by Jabroniville »

FRAGON
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: Defenders #4 (Feb. 1973)
Role: Conjurer

-A goofy-ass Merlin look-alike in an actual, literal cone-hat with stars on it, Fragon was an agent of Casiolena. He blocked Doctor Strange's spells on their first meeting, but got his ass handed to him the second when Strange and the Enchantress teamed up against him.