Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Shock

Re: Phyla-Vell

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:09 pm

The "She'll be a big character if we can just GET THAT DESIGN RIGHT..." is strong with her.
Hard to believe "Giant Starburst centered on her boob" wasn't the design that put her over :lol:

And "How will things suck to be you?" sounds like it came out of a beta version of Google Translate
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Tagak! Gargoyle! Cloud! Moondragon!)

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:33 pm
Goldar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:49 pm Sundragon looked more powerful in those last 2 pics which were probably from her last appearance.

So was she a high level TP? Any TK? What else could she do with her cosmic powers?
None were shown according to any site I can find.
Thank you Buddy.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:49 pm This is why the Quantum Bands are part of my "Top 6 Avengers gear"(the other four, in no particular order,are:Hawkeye's Bow & Arrows, Cap's Shield, Sam's Wings, Pym Particles and Jarvis' Tea Set), they're all-but Marvel's Awnser to DC's Power Rings.It all depends on the Weilder.
Hmmn. In addition to Aunt May's Tea set, I always thought it was Valkyrie's enchanted sword Dragonfang, Hercules Adamatine Mace, Princess Power's shield, The Yellowjacket costume and Dr Spectrum's Power Prism? :o :o
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I won’t lie, when I was introduced Phylla-Vell originally I really dug her costume and it was enough to get me reading the book. I normally don’t like “cosmic” books very much, but was intrigued by her whole “Space Knight” aesthetic... and the plot was the typical confusing mishmash of nonsense that most “cosmic” books are. So I quickly lost interest...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Goldar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:09 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:49 pm This is why the Quantum Bands are part of my "Top 6 Avengers gear"(the other four, in no particular order,are:Hawkeye's Bow & Arrows, Cap's Shield, Sam's Wings, Pym Particles and Jarvis' Tea Set), they're all-but Marvel's Awnser to DC's Power Rings.It all depends on the Weilder.
Hmmn. In addition to Aunt May's Tea set, I always thought it was Valkyrie's enchanted sword Dragonfang, Hercules Adamatine Mace, Princess Power's shield, The Yellowjacket costume and Dr Spectrum's Power Prism? :o :o
That was never May's Tea set you saw(Her's had Blue French Fillagre on it while Jarvis' had Oriental) and Power Prism was more a Dr.Light rip-off in a GL body.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:35 pm
Goldar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:09 pm
That was never May's Tea set you saw(Her's had Blue French Fillagre on it while Jarvis' had Oriental) and Power Prism was more a Dr.Light rip-off in a GL body.
LOL! But are you really sure about that tea set? :lol:

Well, I guess you told me! (Hhmph! Turns my back and folds my arms with my head tilted back)
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Goldar wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:49 pm Sundragon looked more powerful in those last 2 pics which were probably from her last appearance.

So was she a high level TP? Any TK? What else could she do with her cosmic powers?
One short power description I read stated as well as cosmic energy blasts she could create energy shields for protection, emit EMP's powerful enough to effect an entire planet, she had 'cosmic' senses to aid navigation and detect electronic transmissions and she could absorb data directly from computer systems. She could also fire energy blasts from the mouth of her plasma dragon.

Of course this wasn't from any official bio so I'm not sure how accurate it is.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

M4C8 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:45 pm

One short power description I read stated as well as cosmic energy blasts she could create energy shields for protection, emit EMP's powerful enough to effect an entire planet, she had 'cosmic' senses to aid navigation and detect electronic transmissions and she could absorb data directly from computer systems. She could also fire energy blasts from the mouth of her plasma dragon.

Of course this wasn't from any official bio so I'm not sure how accurate it is.
Thank you for the info.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:25 pm I won’t lie, when I was introduced Phylla-Vell originally I really dug her costume and it was enough to get me reading the book. I normally don’t like “cosmic” books very much, but was intrigued by her whole “Space Knight” aesthetic... and the plot was the typical confusing mishmash of nonsense that most “cosmic” books are. So I quickly lost interest...
I'll admit, I got into the cosmic series due to Nova's solo series, got further into it when Cosmo became a thing, and then expended back into Annihilation and forward into the GotG. There was some fun stuff in there, and some interesting powers and usages thereof, but in the end it just sort of...sputtered. I don't know what happened, but the sudden murder of Phyla by Thanos, the huge push for the Cancerverse, it all just felt so rushed.

I don't know if anybody's even touched on the fact that Namorita is alive again as of the end of Nova's title.
Jabroniville

Ardina

Post by Jabroniville »

ARDINA
Created By:
Jo Duffy, Kurt Busiek & Dan Jurgens (after Stan Lee & Moebius)
First Appearance: The Order #3 (July 2002), based on The Silver Surfer Graphic Novel (1978)
Role: Flying Blaster
Group Affiliations: The Defenders
PL 10 (178)
STRENGTH
12 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Imbued With The Power Cosmic"
Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
Immunity 12 (Aging, Sleep, Life Support) [12]
"Immune to the Ravages of Space" Immunity 2 (Proximity to Stars & Suns) [2]
Flight 10 (500 mph) [20]
Movement 2 (Space Travel 1, Environmental Adaptation- Space) [4]

"Wields Cosmic Forces"
Cosmic Blast 12 (Feats: Penetrating 8, Split, Extended Range 5- x3,200 ft., Variable 2) (39) -- [41]
  • AE: "Cosmic Wave" Damage 10 (Feats: Penetrating 6, Variable 2) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (28)
  • AE: "Cosmic Stream" Damage 10 (Feats: Penetrating 6, Variable 2) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (28)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Cosmic Blast +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Cosmic Wave +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +4

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 90 / Defenses: 10 (178)

-Ardina was created during the whole Order storyline, as Nighthawk, a former Defender, was tasked with getting female counterparts to the original Defenders, who were in the midst of a plot of "Saving the Earth by Ruling It". Unable to find a lady Silver Surfer, he was given a magical dagger that siphoned off some of Norrin Radd's energies, forming Ardina. She doesn't appear to have done anything of note in the story (the Unofficial Appendix has nothing of substance on her), but she remained alive after the story. Her only appearance is a brief mention as a "Potential Recruit" of The Initiative (you'll find that A LOT of forgotten characters were placed on a list like that around the same time). She's based off of a character created for the Stan Lee/Moebius Silver Surfer Graphic Novel, who was intended as a one-off "mate" created for the Surfer by Galactus. This was out of continuity, so Busiek was doing a deep dive by bringing her into the main world.

-Said to have some of The Silver Surfer's abilities, it's unknown just how MANY she received, or what her true level is. So I stuck some generic stuff onto her and left it at that.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Skavenger wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 am
Batgirl III wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:25 pm I won’t lie, when I was introduced Phylla-Vell originally I really dug her costume and it was enough to get me reading the book. I normally don’t like “cosmic” books very much, but was intrigued by her whole “Space Knight” aesthetic... and the plot was the typical confusing mishmash of nonsense that most “cosmic” books are. So I quickly lost interest...
I'll admit, I got into the cosmic series due to Nova's solo series, got further into it when Cosmo became a thing, and then expended back into Annihilation and forward into the GotG. There was some fun stuff in there, and some interesting powers and usages thereof, but in the end it just sort of...sputtered. I don't know what happened, but the sudden murder of Phyla by Thanos, the huge push for the Cancerverse, it all just felt so rushed.

I don't know if anybody's even touched on the fact that Namorita is alive again as of the end of Nova's title.
Namorita was going to appear in the most recent New Warriors book but it was cancelled before it was released.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Okay so peeps are messaging me to note that Phyla and Moonie have appeared in the current Guardians of the Galaxy series, doing some thing where Moondragon merged with an alternate universe self, concerning Phyla. And the Dragon of the Moon showed up, too! So these are oddly timely builds, which will no doubt need a few paragraphs of Wikipedia summations pared down and included in their bios when I re-do them five years from now, lol.
Jabroniville

Solarr

Post by Jabroniville »

"I knew when I blew my own dick off, that today was gonna be a bad day."

SOLARR (Silas King)
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: Captain America #160 (April 1973)
Role: Jobber Villain, Journeyman Villain
Group Affiliations: The Emissaries of Evil
PL 8 (73)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+5)
Insight 3 (+3)
Perception 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Solar Stuff) 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Solar Absorption" (All Have Flaws: Limited to At Daytime)
"Set Aflame" Blast 4 (Extras: Secondary Effect, Perception-Ranged) (12) -- [17]
  • AE: "Fiery Images" Create 1 (Feats: Precise) Linked to Heat Aura 2 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Others) (12)
  • AE: Solar Blast 8 (8)
  • AE: Dazzle Visuals 8 (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range) (8)
  • AE: "Melt Things" Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects Only +0) (8)
  • AE: "Ride Heatwaves" Flight 4 (30 mph) (4)
"Solar Power Machine" (Flaws: Removable) [4]
Buys Off Flaws On Powers (4 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Solar Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Melt Things +8 (+8 Ranged Weaken, DC 18)
Set Flame -- (+4 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Silas was a drug-runner even BEFORE he gained powers.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 12 (73)

-Solarr is one of those guys who lives the perfect life of a "Journeyman Villain"- he appears in about ten comic books, and at almost no point does he ever encounter the same hero twice. I think Captain America is the only hero to do so. He's just one of those guys trotted out every couple of years for a one-off story until he's callously killed off.

-Silas King was a drug-runner who turned out to be a latent mutant when he was stranded in the Mojave Desert for several days- he ended up with the power to convert sunlight into Energy Blasts and stuff. It's stuff like THIS that lends credence to the old theory that Mutants didn't just gain "any" power- their mutations were often a manifestation of exactly what they needed or wanted at a certain moment (Sam Guthrie needed to escape a cave-in in Kentucky, and manifested a super-fast Blast Field that rocketed him free; Rahne Sinclair was taught she was a sinful child with a demon inside her, and manifested into a Wolfgirl who both reflected the evil she saw inside AND had the freedom she never enjoyed as a girl). In any case, an asshole with powers is still an asshole, and so Silas took the name "Solarr" and moved to New York and became a super-thief... which is a REALLY stupid idea, because THAT'S WHERE ALL THE HEROES LIVE. I mean, I know the reasons WHY all the stuff happens in NYC (so heroes can interact, and the villains will always have heroes around, duh), but having villains deliberately MOVE THERE seems extra-dumb.

-In Solarr's debut, he's just a one-off doofus who fights Captain America, and is beaten when Cap douses him with a fire hydrant. Solarr subsequently appears about once every couple years thereafter- he and Klaw hold hostages so that Wakanda will be signed over to Klaw's control in an Englehart Avengers issue, but the Black Panther and other Avengers deduce the "executed" hostage was just Klaw in disguise and beat the villains. He joins Egghead's Emissaries of Evil in The Defenders for an arc, harassing the heroes before ultimately being arrested.

-Solarr escapes prison at Project: Pegasus in a Marvel Two-In-One issue, along with Klaw, but he's beaten by Quasar while Klaw loses to the Thing & Black Goliath. A couple years later, he breaks out and is beaten by Spider-Man & Daredevil in Marvel Team-Up, and he's finally killed in a Power Man & Iron Fist issue written by Christopher Priest- at Project: Pegasus, he breaks out during a power-outage caused by Bres of the Fomorians, and he is killed trying to torch the corpse of a guard he hated, which the god controls into lashing out at Solarr. So he dies in 1985, and his only other appearances are posthumous- a raised goon in JLA/Avengers's massive group-battle, and as one of the Emissaries beaten by an early form of Alpha Flight led by Wolverine in a "Prequel" issue. So the guy is pretty much either "a dude on a team", teams up with Klaw twice, and is a one-off everywhere else- like I said, a CLASSIC Journeyman Villain.

-A classic Jobber Villain, Solarr challenged Captain America in his first appearance (doing clever things like melting the sidewalk beneath Cap, affecting his ability to move around), but was undone by a fire hydrant. In all of his other stories, he does okay at first, but is quickly defeated once things turn against him, often via his Daytime Flaw.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Gargoyle! Cloud! Moondragon! Phyla-Vell!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Solarr would've made a good hero(nice look, decent Flying Blaster Build), but they turned him into a Jobber Villian.....Absolutely Brilliant bit of misdirection, in my mind.

As for your Mutation Theory? Makes much more sense than the one their using to explain it.
Jabroniville

Shazana

Post by Jabroniville »

SHAZANA
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Strange Tales #133 (June 1965)
Role: Generic Sorceress
Group Affiliations: Drakos

-Shazana is an evil sorceress who rules Drakos, a dimension where Doctor Strange hid out after escaping Baron Mordo. She had taken the throne from her half-sister using a Power Globe- Strange beat her by shattering it. She reappeared in The Defenders possessing an ex-girlfriend of Kyle "Nighthawk" Richmond's, bringing his team into things when she disappears. Now possessing some innate magical might, she captures Strange, Nighthawk and the girl in a cube "constructed of their own life energies", but the rest of the team arrives and beats her. Strange creates a barrier in Drakos, preventing her from heading to Earth again.