Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Fearless Defenders- Dr. Riggs! Elsa Bloodstone!)

Post by Skavenger »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:08 pm Just skip to the Sailor Starlights, Jab. They’re the important ones.
You misspelled "Sailor Jupiter" and "the best one."
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:59 pm So much of what I think of as "Anime Tropes" were things I first saw here. Sailor Mercury's inexplicable blue hair (Robotech did this as well).

I was a pretty big fan of early Sailor Moon during the dub years, liking all of the OG characters (I was originally a Mercury fan, but Jupiter's first appearance cinched her as my favorite, not (just) because of her "talents" but just the moment she, without any powers, faces off against one of the "big bads." But I have to admit, the moment "Sailor Chibi" showed up, I was out. I didn't mind Scrappy Doo during my youth, but god, this sudden pink haired brat we were supposed to feel sorry for had ZERO redeeming features in my eyes and it just crushed my interest in the series as a whole. But I still hold that original storyline up with my favorite series of all time.

Of course, my "greatest cartoons of all time" list includes shows like Mighty Max and The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest amongst a lot of the usual picks, so take my opinion on anything with a grain of salt.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:59 pm And honestly, it's so fix-able. And would NEVER happen nowadays- writers are usually much better about showcasing the other characters and making sure that everyone at least gets backstory.
There's some Naruto characters that would like to have a word with you. Tenten's at the front, but I think I spotted Anko and Kurenai back there as well.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dr. Riggs! Elsa Bloodstone! Sailor Moon Builds!)

Post by Batgirl III »

You really should check out the live-action tokusatu adaptation from ‘03; There is a lot more emphasis on the other Sailor Senshi (although, obviously, Usagi gets the most spotlight time) and the plot has several alterations and changes so it doesn’t feel like you’re watching re-runs. (Including a huge reveal about 3/4 of the way through season one that will have your jaw on the floor.)

The special effects are rather cheesy, like, early Nineties low budget Super Sentai... despite being made in 2003. The fight scenes also take some getting used to. Most tokusatu shows have the benefit of the characters wearing full body costumes and all concealing helmets, so you can swap out the actor for a stuntman and no one will notice... Sailor Moon’s cast are all teenage idoru singers, glamor models, and dancers, wearing costumes that expose their faces, arms, and most of their legs. So the fight choreography leans heavily on the “dance battle” and “magic powers.” It does get better as the show goes on, but be prepared for some silliness.

Still, it’s a great show.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

The first time I heard of Sailor Moon was in a column by Dave Barry, when he made a reference to a member of Sailor Moon's team who "proudly refers to the size of her breasts." (Also known as "talent") I knew then it was a series I had to see.

https://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv- ... 36688.html

That being said, Sailor Mercury is my favourite. A short haired, intelligent gal is right up my alley.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Sailor Stars

Post by Jabroniville »

SAILOR MOON SAILOR STARS:
-And now we finally come to the FINAL SEASON of Sailor Moon- the somewhat notorious "Gender Swap" season Sailor Stars!

So the series is winding down. The demand to make a "Chibi-Usa-centric season" ended with Sailor Moon SuperS and ratings fell, so they're calling an end to it- the show is ending and Chibi-Usa is GONEZO. Naoko is expected to wrap things up, and so she creates a handful of NEW Sailors, and reveals a greater cosmos in her stories, as it turns out that EVERY planet has a Sailor Guardian, and almost all of them have been killed by this tremendous power named Sailor Galaxia. Her and her Shadow Galactica now have their sights set on Earth, right as three exiled Sailors from another world end up here, searching for their lost Princess. Galaxia's goal? The capture of "True Star Seeds"- all humans have Star Seeds in them, but only those of Guardians ("Senshi" in the original- warriors/soldier/guardian/etc.) are "True Star Seeds", and she's collecting them for a mysterious purpose.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut then the anime producers did that weird thing where they just ignore whatever Naoko was doing and choose their own story arc, using only her trappings. And so the three Sailor Starlights who arrive (complete with their own, unique look)... transform into BOYS when they're in their secret identities! And they're an "idol group" (then as now, huge in Japan)! And the girls all lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve them and are huge fangirls, and Seiya (their most important) is in love with Usagi, who is mourning Mamoru, who went to "study in America" and never shows up again. Naoko was apparently aghast at the "Starlights as Boys" concept, as only GIRLS could be Sailors according to her notes.

Meanwhile, Usagi and her friends have FINALLY left Middle School and are now at Juuban High School! New school uniforms! MAKO even fits in this one! Not that we'll ever see many teachers.

But this is our show now- Galaxia's agents, called the Sailor Animamates (taking "Sailor + type of metal + animal" naming conventions), are hunting for the "True Star Seeds", and when the victims of the week reveal just plain old Star Seeds, they transform into monsters of the week called "Phages". Among them are a generic baddie, a really fun "Nice Villain" and her rival/best friend, the "Snarky Villain", and then a "Super Evil Villain" right at the end. Many, many episodes revolve around the Starlights, who start out mysterious, then reveal their search for a Princess. Like Sailor Uranus & Neptune from Sailor Moon S, they are aloof and don't want to work with these "weak" normal Sailors, but Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter starts admiring them. Meanwhile, as the "Three Lights", they now attend Juuban High and the Sailors go through various levels of fangirling over them. Only Usagi is aloof and uncaring about them, which helps draw Seiya towards her (thought it's pretty much a "Love At First Sight" kind of thing with him, too).

Meanwhile, Uranus & Neptune dislike the newbies, not that we see them very much. Oh, and remember Sailor Pluto & Saturn showing up for the Nehalennia arc? NOPE. They're not really around here, either. Like 28 episodes of content and you'll forget they even exist. In the end, the Starlights finally find Princess Kakyu- their songs as an idol group were heard, but she couldn't reveal herself till just now... and then she dies one episode later, killed by Galaxia. Meanwhile, Usagi is... completely melancholy all season. As if they heard the fans' complaints from last season about how they'd "Flanderized" her into a wilder, goofier character and undone it. But it's just... sad to watch. Like, the character is SO emotional, always wearing them on her sleeve, that you can't help but get sucked in by how dreary and unable to have fun she is. It's both good and bad how they captured that sense.

The Positives:
-The opening arc, the mini "Nehalennia Redux" one, is actually one of the show's best runs. The villain has an AMAZING design, the stakes are incredibly personal (Mamoru has been taken and is mind-controlled into loving the evil Queen), and for the first time ever, EVERY SAILOR is united in one single fight, dramatically pairing off and getting great feats, cool showings, and interesting interpersonal bits. Watching Sailor Mercury show her raw toughness, courage and smarts, impressing even Sailor Uranus, is incredible. Sailor Mars is shamed by how much more "with it" Neptune is than she is, but nonetheless saves her with an amazing arrow shot. Sailor Saturn finally gets to act and use powers on-camera, defending her Princess as Chibi-Usa once defended her.

There's a great bit when a young Hotaru is living through the memories of her previous life- it's really amazing how they show the little girl smile sweetly at the memory of Hotaru meeting and befriending Chibi-Usa... but growing more and more upset as she recalls Uranus & Neptune attempting to kill her, Professor Tomoe's death at the hands of the Death Busters, and more- a harsh reminder of the brutality of their life.

This arc is everything the last season feels like it could have been.

Sailor Aluminum Siren & Lead Crow are amazing together, being one of the true highlights. They have great outfits, a great color scheme, and they're so much fun the way Siren is this kind of dorky, over-the-top polite villain (giving people her business card before she attacks them) while Crow is aghast that her "Greatest Rival" is a complete goof-off and ditz, and tries to get her to take this seriously. And when Siren dies horribly... Crow is the only one to mourn her, in a really heartbreaking bit.

The animation is some of the show's best in this season. The guy who did "Triangle Eyes" seems to be absent and you get fewer "Bad Animation" episodes. Though the best directors have since moved on, so the show's not as fun in the goofy episodes- it's more middle of the road and less outstanding.

The Starlights, while they're hardly my favorites, get rounded out quite well. Seiya is the only one who seems to like humans (well, Usagi) at first. Taiki comes off as this aloof, uncaring jerk because he's intelligent enough to feel superior to others, and it takes a long time to go through his icy exterior. Yaten has a similar problem, but instead of being aloof, he's just... ANGRY. He lashes out, he acts rude, and he hurts others' feelings because he's miserable on Earth and wants to keep everyone at an arm's length. This doesn't really make any of them LIKEABLE (Seiya is, seen through the darkest lens, a sex creep at worst and a smarmy jackass at best, while the others are just dicks), but you can at least understand them, and it means more when they finally open up by the end, and truly love Sailor Moon as the others do.

The final four episodes all hit big. Sailor Galaxia removing the Star Seeds of the Inner Sailors, KILLING THEM, plays exactly as dramatically as it should, with a bawling Sailor Moon watching her friends slowly fad away. Her running to Mars, who chides Usagi to suck it up, is dead-on for their characters, and gives off the true feelings they have for each other. Sailor Uranus & Neptune, adversarial and ruthless as always, play the long game, even murdering their closest allies (Hotaru was virtually a foster-daughter at this point) just to get close to Galaxia... and when they finally prove to be the only people in the universe strong enough to resist the control of Galaxia's Bracelets and hit her with a killshot... she's immune to it, and they die failures. Both of them contemplating damning themselves to hell while finding solace in each other's hands is GOD-TIER writing, and shows what you can do when you've built up character goodwill.

The Flaws:
-And this becomes the main issue with Sailor Stars, to me- by this point, Sailor Moon has amassed the single greatest cast in the history of fiction, and I'm not exaggerating- that's my actual opinion. They are AMAZING together- endearing, heartfelt Usagi, intelligent (but closet romantic) Ami, headstrong and angry (but deeply insecure and introspective) Rei, tough yet fragile Mako, and giant kindergartener Minako... then you add in the loving lesbian couple (who are nonetheless cold-hearted, utterly-practical, ruthless killers) who look at the cast like funny younger siblings, this adorably-innocent little girl who can crack the planet in half in Sailor Saturn, and the cold, distant (but also warm and caring) Sailor Pluto. Aaaaaaaaand the showrunners would rather do twenty episodes of fangirling over idols and ignore most of this. The girls receive very little characterization of their own anymore so the showrunners can just play with their new toys.

This sorta happened in Sailor Moon S, as Uranus, Neptune & the future Saturn became huge deals, with the writers spending multiple episodes just ENCHANTED by them, but by this point, they hang on the Starlights and don't let up.

Oh, and they're now finding Mamoru SO HARD TO WRITE FOR that he's exiled (he's killed off in the opening moments and the cast don't find out until much later) and Seiya now has his "Season One" personality so they can play butting-heads-maybe-lovebirds with him & Usagi, but it really just comes off like he's pestering her when she's uncomfortable about it, making him come off like a creep because he won't take no for an answer.

To be honest, SuperS and this one kind of add together to really end the series on a more sour note than it should have been- no fans anywhere seem to think the show was cancelled before its time for this reason. Looking through my episode reviews here on Echoes, I see that I started the final ten episodes last OCTOBER, and didn't finish until the beginning of March- essentially taking five months two watch ten episodes. Partially I knew I'd have to set time aside to actually watch AND review the episodes, and partially I just wasn't that into it so I wouldn't make time unless I was like "holy crap, it's been a while". It was hovering too much into "just good enough" territory with very few "that was a gem of an episode" highlights (like the "Jupiter falls in love with Tiger's Eye" episode) to keep things going.
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Already back to Sailor Moon, huh? Amazing how time flies.

I ended up watching this show back when it first aired on syndication, and caught the rest of it on old-school Toonami. A classic for sure, it changed the magical girl genre forever. See, magical girl shows before Sailor Moon typically had little to no action in them. They tended to be more like Sabrina the Teenage Witch than anything else and many of them were animated sitcoms. These days it would be hard to imagine a new magical girl show where the protagonist is notfighting some world-imperiling threat. And yes, Takeuchi was directly inspired by Super Sentai, which she was a big fan of growing up* in the late 1970's/early 80's. It was only fitting that the franchise received a sentai-esque live action adaptation year later.

On the debate of the old dub versus the new dub, I'll just say that the old dub was very sloppy in many ways but at least the crew behind it cared about the material. I actually had the opportunity to speak with Susan Roman at a video event for a convention and it was clear how much she cared about Sailor Jupiter even after nearly fifteen years after she recorded her last episode. The new dub by Studiopolis is an example of a modern production with very high standards in acting and translation, but sometimes came across as a little cold and clinical in feeling. It is also really hard to match the original Japanese VAs on this one; Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi) went on to become one of the premier voice actresses of her generation, and is still very active today. Aya Hisakawa (Mercury) is not too far behind Mitsuishi, having taken over the role of Bulma from Dragon Ball after the original actress unfortunately died. And Tuxedo Mask? It was Tohru Furuya, who was pretty much the guy you got back in the day when you wanted to dub a romantic young hero. A faithful imitation of these voices can only go so far at times.

Having never seen the last season of the show, this group of builds will be interesting to read. I know of these characters, but do not have direct knowledge of them. I know the power levels start getting even more unbalanced as the stakes were raised at the end. I chalk it up to the magical aspect of the series; Usagi and the other Scouts are more squishy wizards than normal superheroines, although the series plays with that idea a lot when it suits the plot. Fitting then that we go back to them after having the Doctor Strange builds of the last few weeks.

*She would have been around eight year old when the original Goranger premiered, and I can see how some of the style from that franchise bled into the dynamic of the Sailor Senshi and their enemies.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Grenzer wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:52 am Already back to Sailor Moon, huh? Amazing how time flies.
LOL, yup- Sailor Moon SuperS builds were posted in April of last year- an entire year has passed :). And that's just because it took me that long to finally get through this season!
I ended up watching this show back when it first aired on syndication, and caught the rest of it on old-school Toonami. A classic for sure, it changed the magical girl genre forever. See, magical girl shows before Sailor Moon typically had little to no action in them. They tended to be more like Sabrina the Teenage Witch than anything else and many of them were animated sitcoms. These days it would be hard to imagine a new magical girl show where the protagonist is notfighting some world-imperiling threat. And yes, Takeuchi was directly inspired by Super Sentai, which she was a big fan of growing up* in the late 1970's/early 80's. It was only fitting that the franchise received a sentai-esque live action adaptation year later.
Yeah, I remember the old Big Eyes Small Mouth adaptation of the show describing how Magical Girl shows got their start, and how they typically went. They even brought up how common it was for the heroine to die at the end of the show, and how Sailor Moon evoked this before rolling it back.
On the debate of the old dub versus the new dub, I'll just say that the old dub was very sloppy in many ways but at least the crew behind it cared about the material. I actually had the opportunity to speak with Susan Roman at a video event for a convention and it was clear how much she cared about Sailor Jupiter even after nearly fifteen years after she recorded her last episode. The new dub by Studiopolis is an example of a modern production with very high standards in acting and translation, but sometimes came across as a little cold and clinical in feeling. It is also really hard to match the original Japanese VAs on this one; Kotono Mitsuishi (Usagi) went on to become one of the premier voice actresses of her generation, and is still very active today. Aya Hisakawa (Mercury) is not too far behind Mitsuishi, having taken over the role of Bulma from Dragon Ball after the original actress unfortunately died. And Tuxedo Mask? It was Tohru Furuya, who was pretty much the guy you got back in the day when you wanted to dub a romantic young hero. A faithful imitation of these voices can only go so far at times.
Yeah, one thing that bugged me about the new adaptation is how... weak many of the actors seemed to be, especially at first. The dialogue is more in keeping with the original show and that's great, but for a while there it seemed much of the cast had the same kind of voice, and most modern anime dubbers aren't... the highest-level of VAs. They're more just all people who work for the same studio.

At least Naoko personally okayed the Senshi's voices in the new one, though, so you know she approved of their voices.
marcoasalazarm

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Fearless Defenders- Dr. Riggs! Elsa Bloodstone!)

Post by marcoasalazarm »

Skavenger wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:57 pm Candy Southern is the embodiment of what infuriates me about what Hickman is doing with the X-Men. X-Men decide "screw you all, we're building our own nation. With hookers! And blackjack!" Fine. I can dig that. They sorta did that before off California, but making it more official? Neat. Working to improve the world while maintaining "we're tired of being treated as lessers when we're so much more capable?" Good for them. Own being powerful beings. It never stopped the Asgardians. "Anybody who's a mutant, regardless of what horrible crimes they've committed, is welcome, while all humans can GTFO." Wait. Wait. What?

So, they'd rather have Mr. Sinister, Emplate, Dark Beast, Selene, Apocalypse, the Strucker twins, and every other mutant serial killer/murderer/monster around and have gates that ban people like Candy Southern, Trish Trilby, Captain Britain (Brian), Kid Gladiator, Cain Marko (who keeps trying to be a hero until the X-Men ditch him again and again and again), Peter Parker...

Of course there's also the characters acting horribly out of character, the fact that they'll just randomly decide "let's take over an entire alternate world and install our own ruler," and the fact that I can't quite figure out what the POINT of the storyline is yet...but the "evil characters yay, good humans boo" drives me nuts.
I have absolutely no love for Krakoa. It’s like the reverse of the Inhumans situation: since trying to sell the Inhumans as “Mutants 2.0” didn’t worked, someone at the Marvel bullpen said “let’s go ahead and try to sell mutants as “Inhumans 2.0”.”

If you guys like the Krakoa-related changes to the franchise, all the more power to you and I hope that whatever made you love it keeps on going strong. But I find it, for the lack of a better strong (but non-warning-by-the-admin-worthy) word, vomitive.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Personal Opinion & Theory: The Krakoa Story is a Fever Dream of Moria MacTaggerts Legacy virus induced brain.

THAT'S what i think of the current X-Men stuff.
Jabroniville

Queen Nehalennia (Sailor Stars)

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by Black-Quose, Noa Ideka & the anime staff.

"Watch as I hold the man you love in my arms. And watch as I fill the world with sorrow, hatred, and despair! My curse has filled this man's heart with nightmares- your voice can no longer reach him. By the coming dawn, this man's heart will be under my complete control. Can you reach me by then, Sailor Moon?".
-Queen Nehalennia with the mother of all evil villain speeches.

QUEEN NEHALENNIA
Dub Name:
Queen Nehelennia
Role: The Big Bad, Youth-Seeker, Mini-Boss
Hair Colour: Dark Purple
PL 12 (299)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Deception 5 (+10)
Expertise (Arcane Lore) 9 (+12)
Expertise (History) 10 (+13)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+11)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 6 (+11)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fascination (Intimidation), Improved Critical (Magic Bolt), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 10

Powers:
"Magical Might"
"Spider Webs" Snare 12 (Feats: Indirect 4- Appears Everywhere) (Extras: Multiattack) (52) -- [56]
  • AE: Blast 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (36)
  • AE: Damage 12 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (32)
  • AE: Blast 10 (Feats: Penetrating 8) (28)
  • AE: "Deflect Mercury Aqua Rhapsody & World Shaking" Deflect 14 (14)
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
"Ocean of Thorns" Create 10 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Continuous) [31]
"Imprison Within Mirrors" Affliction 12 (Strength; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed & Unaware) (Feats: Reversible, Indirect 4- Appears Everywhere) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition, Continuous +3) [75]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blasts +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Blasts +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Spider Webs +10 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Imprison Within Mirrors +10 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Staying Young & Beautiful Forever)- Vain to the Nth degree, Queen Nehalennia reveled in the admiration her beauty gave her. Horrified to discover she would one day get old, she murdered everyone in her kingdom to gain eternal youth.
Motivation (Power)- Nehalennia desires not only the power of the Golden Crystal, but "the young man as well"- she wishes to make Helios hers.
Phobia (Aging)- Seeing herself as a wizened old crone again is horrifying for Nehalennia.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 174 / Defenses: 18 (299)

The Dark Queen in the Mirror:
-Queen Nehalennia (named for an ancient Goddess, and the spelling is all over the place so don't even bother trying to keep it consistent) is the Big Bad of Sailor Moon SuperS, though we don't really know her true purpose for ages. Hell, Naoko Takeuchi must have kept it a secret until the very end, because we know NOTHING about her until a couple of episodes before the Season Finale- she's just some Evil Queen hoping to gain Pegasus's power for herself. We don't see her at all for the first half, and it isn't until the Amazoness Quartet debut that we even see what she looks like- she's a smoking-hot Demon MILF with elf-ears, purple Narrow Mature Woman Eyes Of Evil, and long, long hair. She appears to her minion Zirconia from behind a mirror, and grows more and more impatient with all the failures. Finally, we learn that she's after the "Golden Crystal", held by Pegasus... who is actually Helios, Guardian of Elysion.

-Finally... FINALLY... we get some backstory for the Queen- as the ruler of her own land in the ancient past, she desired not only the Crystal, but "The Prince himself", as she wanted Helios (despite him being suuuuuuuuuper young-looking compared to her). But with her darkness being sensed by Queen Serenity, she was exiled to the "Dead Moon", living in darkness for centuries. Finally, she gained access to our world via using the dreams of the Amazoness Quartet to power her arrival. And they invaded Elysion and captured Helios, who cast off his essence as "Pegasus", lying wait in the beautiful dreams of an innocent person. And it turns out that Zirconia is the embodiment of her greatest fear- growing old and ugly.

-See, it turns out that the Queen gives her full backstory in the VERY last episode of SuperS- she describes her life as a beautiful Queen (complete with Round Eyes Of Beautiful Youth) and fawning subjects, but how gazing into a mirror made her realize she was doomed to turn into a wrinkled old purple crone. Fearful, she consumed the Dream Mirrors of her entire kingdom, giving her eternal youth and turning the entire land into a sea of Living Corpses (the weirdos that make up the Dead Moon Circus). So her desire is to never grow old, while Chibi-Usa's dream in this season is to grow older and see what life holds- a contrast between villainess and heroine. Zirconia had captured Chibi-Usa and the Queen used her to capture Pegasus for real, gaining the Crystal and absorbing the dreams of all humanity. Finally, however, the Queen is beaten- when she betrays the Quartet, they spitefully steal the Golden Crystal back from her- Chibi-Usa does a "Clap If You Believe!" thing and empowers all Earth's young dreams to give the Crystal more power, and the Queen is beaten and turned into a crone. Finally, she is re-exiled back to the Dead Moon- trapped in the mirror, she retains her beauty, so is at least partially satisfied.

-Curiously, however, we would not see the last of her! Sailor Stars, the final season of the show, would tack on an extra "Nehalennia Redux" arc, as she's empowered by Sailor Galaxia, the ultimate Big Bad! Eventually she'd get a "Redemption Arc" of her very own!

Sailor Stars Nehalennia:
-And then, bizarrely, Queen Nehalennia RETURNS in Sailor Stars, the final season! This bizarre situation came about both as a bit of a "mulligan" as to the ending of SuperS, and also to kill some time with a six-episode arc before the proper show started up again. So Nehalennia is reawakened by a mysterious voice, and lashes out with a fury as the women who ruined her happiness are still out there, enjoying the world. Saying that Usagi "laughed at my misfortune", she finds their secret identities, then STEALS AWAY WITH MAMORU, taking over his mind as she afflicts much of Tokyo with a disease that causes them to stare at their own reflections at all costs. Promising to take his heart from a heartbroken Usagi, she thus also endangers Chibi-Usa, who begins to fade away. And so the Sailors must invade her home dimension- each facing versions of her taking over the bodies of her Mirror Paredri- the girls prove determined, but are also scooped up one by one. However, Sailor Saturn risks her very life to kill the Queen, and is only restrained by Chibi-Usa, who doesn't want her to die. Nehalennia is finally undone by, of all things, MERCY, as Sailor Moon weeps over the notion that the Queen was all alone for years, and offers her a second chance. At first enraged by the pity and lashing out, Nehalennia is broken by Sailor Pluto noting that "there's still time to atone for past sins" and Eternal Sailor Moon's offer to take her hand, and is nonetheless rewarded with a second chance, and is reborn.

-This whole bit was EXCELLENT. Nehalennia's quote above was a mega-villain moment Mic Drop, and the more introspective episodes that surrounded this were some of the show's best. The Queen appears so cool and confident in these episodes, yet when Sailor Mercury, the weakest of the girls, stands against her, you see her go "I don't like that look"- the look of steely determination in Ami's eyes worries her, despite her power. Noticing the same look in the eyes of the other Sailors was unnerving, as well. However, Sailor Saturn's anger is a joyous moment ("I love that look. Do you hate me?"). And then noticing ANOTHER look in Usagi's eyes is even worse- the look of PITY. So for all the Queen's power, she is repeatedly floored by being treated like a person- when Sailor Jupiter knowingly asks her "have you ever had a friend like that?" regaring the loyal, life-brightening Usagi, the Queen can't deal with it, and Usagi's pitying look is the last straw. Trying to win Mamoru's heart out of spite is a great baddie moment, and all of this comes off as extremely epic and deeply personal.

Manga Nehalennia:
-In the manga, the Queen is seen as the dark mirror image of Queen Serenity. She is the queen of the "Dark Center of the Moon", having existed for centuries. When Princess Serenity was born, Nehalennia just Maleficents in and is all "HEY YOU FUCKERS!", but Queen Serenity seals her away with the Moon Stick. Trapped in a dark mirror, Nehalennia cast a curse that the Moon Kingdom would fall, and the Princess would never inherit the throne- the backstory for the invasion of the Dark Kingdom. Laying in wait, she breaches her prison during a solar eclipse and brainwashes Sailor Chibi-Moon's four sleeping guardians, the Sailor Quartet, and turns them into her minions. Desiring the Silver Crystal, she invades Elysion and takes over the world of Dreams, capturing Helios in the process- he enters Chibi-Usa's dreams to hide out, and finally the Golden Crystal is found within Mamoru's body, and Nehalennia is defeated by Eternal Sailor Moon, who shrivels her into a wizened old woman, then traps her in a mirror once more. She never reappears, so the big Sailor Stars arc was merely filler. Hell, I think this version is even more awesome.

Nehalennia's Power:
-The Queen's powers are a bit tricky to figure out- as a fighter, she mostly engaged with the Sailors while empowered by the Golden Crystal (which gave her the power to easily deflect their best attacks with a shield of energy). But she casts spider webs over much of Tokyo, capturing Pegasus wipes the world of dreams, and she can definitely blast away even without the Crystal- she easily takes out both the Sailors and the Amazoness Quartet in this way.

-In Sailor Stars, she gets a MAJOR upgrae, getting more than 100 points more expensive, thanks to two Continuous Effects- the creation of a bridge full of thorns (testing Usagi's resolve to save Mamoru), and the way she traps the Sailors in mirrors- capturing them from behind and below, and permanently trapping them. In this version, she can also fly (not a power seen in SuperS).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Much as i dislike Sailor Moon(Yeah i Said it! Whatcha gonna DO 'bout it Jab?! :P), Nehalennia is one of the better created Anime Villian's(right up there with Itachi Uchiha, Aizen, Megatron,etc.).
Jabroniville

Mirror Paredri

Post by Jabroniville »

MIRROR PAREDRI
Role:
Summoned Mooks
PL 7 (77)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 5 [5]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [5]
"Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +0

Complications:
Responsibility (Queen Nehalennia's Will)
Disabled (Mute)- Mirror Paredri only tend to giggle.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 4 (70)

-Mirror Paredri are the creations of Queen Nehalennia- reflections of her "Mirror" gimmick. They resemble her greatly, and even mimic her completely if she has the right spell on them (one episode features the gang fighting "Nehalennias" that turn out to be Paredri. They regenerate from harm against the Outer Senshi's attacks, but not when they're upgraded by Sailor Saturn into "Super Sailors".
Jabroniville

Sailor Moon (Sailor Stars)

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by Leriisa, Aksens, Karol Hofman.

SAILOR MOON (Usagi Tsukino, aka Princess Serenity, Neo-Queen Serenity)
Dub Name:
Serena
Role: The Main Hero, The Crybaby
Main Fuku Colour: Blue
Elemental Alignment: Love
Hair Colour: Strawberry Blonde
PL 13 (212)
STRENGTH
0/1 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+6, +7 Sailor)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 10 (+10)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 5 (+9, +11 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Moon Attacks) 2 (+11)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Attractive, Daze (Persuasion), Defensive Attack, Equipment (Sailor Communicator), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 7, Taunt, Teamwork, Ultimate Will Save

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]
Features 1: Boots Form Ice Skates [1]

Flight 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (2) -- [3]
  • AE: Leaping 2 (30 feet) (2)
"Sailor Planet Attack!" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (20) -- [23]
  • AE: "Sonic Cry Attack" Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned) (Extras: Area- Hearing Perception) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (5)
  • AE: "Sailor Teleport!" Teleport 14 (Extras: Extended Only +0, Accurate) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (14)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Power!" Force Field 8 (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (2)
"Tiara" (Flaws: Removable) [21]
"Moon Tiara Stardust!" Nullify Mind Control 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (24) -- (26 points)
  • AE: "Moon Tiara Action!" Blast 9 (Feats: Accurate, Ricochet 3, Homing) (23)
  • AE: "Moon Tiara Snare" Snare 8 (Feats: Accurate, Reversible) (Flaws: Limited to One Target) (18)
"Disguise Pen" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Morph 2 (Women) (10 points)

"Moon Kaleido Scope" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [48]
"Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss/Silver Moon Crystal Power Kiss!" Blast 16 Linked to Weaken Toughness 16 (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 16 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed Back to Powerless) (Extras: Ranged) (80 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Sailor Strength +86 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Moon Tiara Action! +11 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Moon Spiral Heart Attack +10 (+16 Ranged Damage, Weaken & Affliction, 31)
Planet Attack +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +14

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Tsukino Usagi, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are charged to fight evil.
Responsibility (Schooling)- Unfortunately, Usagi is terrible at it.
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Responsibility (Princess Serenity)- Usagi/Serena is both the Princess of the Moon Kingdom, and the future Queen of the World. This makes her many enemies, and gives her numerous responsibilities.
Responsibility (I Just Want To Be Normal)- Usagi hates the constant violence, and the threats against her life. Her fondest wish was to "just be a normal girl" once again, and leave all this super-heroing behind, until she finally accepted her fate in the second season.
Power Loss (All Powers)- At times, Usagi's desire to be normal actually affects her powers, and she loses her special abilities.
---
Responsibility (Lazy)- Usagi does not like to do things that require effort.
Responsibility (Gluttonous)- Usagi LOOOOOOOOOOOVES to eat, particularly sweet things.
Responsibility (Incompetent)- Usagi is a poor student.
Responsibility (Sleepyhead)- Usagi is famous for her ability to sleep in past her alarm and be late for school.
Responsibility (Crybaby)- Usagi's first reaction to almost every bit of stress, for YEARS, was to openly cry rivers of tears.
---
Relationship (Naru Osaka)- Naru was Usagi's best friend in the early days- it was them plus two other background girls, and later, Naru was Usagi's only Non-Sailor-Friend.
Relationship (Ami- Sailor Mercury)- Usagi was the only person to befriend the "snobbish" world-class student, and deeply admires Ami's brilliance.
Relationship (Rei- Sailor Mars)- Sailor Mars is grouchy, hard-working, snide and arrogant- she despises all of Usagi's above-mentioned Responsibilities, and is constantly screaming at her to improve. Usagi both hates to be insulted, and spitefully argues back with Rei, who is "So mean!" The two pick at and tease each other, and generally never go more than a day without a big fight. However, Usagi deeply respects Rei's work ethic, beauty, grace and toughness- it is Rei to whom Usagi entrusts the Silver Crystal when she fears she'll break and give it up, and it is Rei's loss that Usagi feels most deeply at D-Point and against Galaxia.
Relationship (Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask)- Usagi & Mamoru argued non-stop at first, with him gladly teasing the silly young girl. However, she had a serious crush on the mysterious, handsome Tuxedo Mask, who always came to her rescue. Only later did they realize their true feelings for one another, as they were in fact lovers in another life, and destined to be together in the future. When he breaks up with her in Sailor Moon R, she is emotionally shattered to the point where even her closest friends won't tease her.
---
Relationship (Minako- Sailor Venus)- Usagi was once worshipful of the possibly-fictional Sailor V, but soon comes to view Minako as a kindred spirit in Idol-loving weirdness.
Relationship (Makoto- Sailor Jupiter)- Usagi was the only person to befriend the violent giantess, and comes to deeply admire Mako's strength, hatred of bullies, and cooking ability. That the two have the same taste in men (such as Motoki) is helpful as well.
Relationship (Motoki)- Usagi nursed a serious, but childlike, crush on Motoki Furuhata in the first season.
Relationship (Chibi-Usa)- Usagi finds the bratty little "spore" as annoying as anything- the two are entirely too much alike. It's only later, once she realizes that "Little Usagi" is actually her own DAUGHTER, from the future, that they start to get along.
---
Phobia (Thunder)- Usagi is petrified of thunder, to the point of screaming, crying and running away to hide when she hears it.
Responsibility (Believes in People)- Usagi has an obsessive desire to see the best in people- she refuses to see only the negatives, and is constantly willing to help, even towards people who despise her (like Nastumi/An).
Responsibility (That Kind Of Girl)- Usagi tends to draw strong reactions from some men, who fall obsessively in love with her at first sight. Umino crushes on her during their time at Junior High. Seijuro/Ail openly crushes on her as soon as he comes to Earth, almost abandoning his lifelong companion for her. Prince Demande is so obsessed with Sailor Moon/Neo-Queen Serenity that he tries to use his powers to RAPE HER.
---
Enemy (The Dark Kingdom, Ail & An, The Black Moon Clan, The Death Busters, Queen Nehellenia, Sailor Galaxia)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 108 / Defenses: 27 (212)

Sailor Moon- Loser-As-Audience-Surrogate:
-Sailor Moon is a character that I found tough to like. Given that the TV show is CALLED Sailor Moon, this is perhaps not a good thing, but let's face it- the girl is kind of annoying. It's ultimately the POINT of her character in a way, though- she's meant to represent the "Everygirl", someone who ISN'T super-perfect or even a role model. Rather than excelling at things or being an otherwise admirable person, she's lazy, clumsy, a sleepyhead, a crybaby, argumentative, and prone to mindless crushes (like on older boy Motoki). Running gags about her involve incredible gluttony (scarfing down candy by the ton) or sloth (her mother is constantly screaming at her over being late for school). She's even DUMB- her repeated failures on tests is another constant source of embarrassment- in the first first episode, some handsome stranger sees her crumpled-up test score and asks "Are you lazy, or just STUPID?". That the dub played up the goofiness and cartoony behavior didn't help- it took me a long time to see the positives of the character.

-She's also a weak link in battles, and runs screaming from just about every bad guy in the early days. She cries when hurt, whines about bruises, and generally doesn't act like any real superhero. She even mourns the loss of a "normal life", and bemoans the fact that she just has to get into recurring battles and watch her dearest friends get hurt. In this, she's actually quite realistic- I think plenty of normal people, even those who idolize and fantasize about the "Superhero Lifestyle", would pretty quickly get sick of holding their bleeding loved ones or fighting monsters. But yeah, I found her annoying. That every male character seemed to fall in love with her instantly only made me MORE annoyed (I mean, Sailor Mars is right there). Thankfully, Mars was around to speak for people like me.

Usagi as Wish Fulfilment:
-The character really stands as the "Girl Version" of the Wish Fulfilment Protagonists of male-targeted fiction. The audience reading the comic probably felt more akin to Usagi (who cried sometimes, got scared or frustrated, and struggled to do well in school) than they did the flawless superhumans of many other shows. She was treated meanly by others, lectured by parents and teachers, and more... but she got these cool transformation powers, got treated as beautiful and desirable by handsome men, got an idealized lover in the mysterious stranger Tuxedo Mask, and amassed a huge army of cool, funny, unique friends. Like... that's how the genre works, you know? We're used to seeing it from the male perspective, but it's a "This Loser is YOU!" mixed with "Hey, don't you wish you were HER?" sort of thing.

But Usagi IS a Good Role Model:
-One thing that's clearer in retrospect, and when I've read other retrospectives on the series, is that Usagi is basically an innocent, guileless person who believes in EVERYONE, and this is where she is truly admirable AND a good role model. When all of the other students are talking about shunning the brilliant, stand-offish newcomer, Usagi's the own who cuts through Ami Mizuno's defensive walls and realizes that the girl's not a snob after all, and actually quite lonely and needs a friend. Similarly, when Makoto Kino comes to school and is openly feared as a hostile brawler, Usagi ignores their protests and makes a new friend forever. Repeatedly throughout the show, Usagi does this- ignoring the detractors, and fighting past people's defensiveness, and willingly helps people out. And really, no other character could have drawn quite the reaction we get out of her in Sailor Moon R, when she has her heart broken by Mamoru, and becomes so emotionally devastated that she can barely function, actually staring at him with a desperate smile and pleading, tear-filled eyes. It's INSANE.

-That said, it was pretty neat by the end of Sailor Moon R how she'd basically had to accept her life, and instead of crying about every little thing, she decided to suck it up and walk straight into danger without even putting the others in the line of fire with her. She engaged in real, true CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT as time went on- by the end of R, she had fully accepted that her lot in life was to do battle, sad as that was, and she stopped regretting losing her old life and accepted responsibility. And she was one of the few characters who could find it in her heart to forgive even her enemies- in contrast to the manga (in which the Sailors just gunned down their enemies mercilessly), Usagi FREQUENTLY held out her hand and asked the villains to drop their silly games and join them. When she learns of the sad backstories of Nehalennia or Sailor Galaxia, she actually WEEPS for them and offers them an olive branch (despite the latter, you know, KILLING EVERYONE SHE'D EVER LOVED). By the end of the series, her superpowered form has angel's wings for a damn reason- she is the living embodiment of forgiveness, compassion and friendship.

-To be fair, the show wasn't entirely consistent with things, but this can be passed off as Usagi being a very complex person. The best example of "mature Usagi" is in Sailor Moon S, where she gives better advice and is more rational than before. SuperS degrades her quite a bit, as they decide to ramp up the comedy and make Chibi-Usa the main character, and this makes her much more jealous (she gets angry at even her FRIENDS for talking to Mamoru) and more likely to fight with her future-daughter.

Usagi- The Ultimate Team Player:
-Though she's not my favorite, Usagi is actually the best character for playing off of others. She flummoxes more serious, studious characters (Ami, Rei), who find her exasperating. She amuses more stoic ones (Haruka, Michiru), who find her amusing. Her guilless innocense thaws out aggressive types (Makoto), draws interest from "Alpha" types (Seiya, Prince Demande), and is charming to others. Her being easily goaded and offended makes her good for arguments, and her non-violent nature provides excellent contrast to others- in the "Silence" arc, it's amazing how hard she fights against the ruthless "Outer Senshi", who believe that people must be sacrificed for the greater good. Usagi REFUSES to believe this, even for a second, and also rejects their practical, cruel decision that sweet little Hotaru has to be killed to save the world, because she's the "Dark Messiah". And so while they are proven right and Hotaru IS "Mistress 9" and starts off the Silence, we're in an "Idealist"-centric world, and Usagi's compassion in saving Hotaru is what unleashes Sailor Saturn, who is the person responsible for killing Pharaoh 90 once and for all. Really, nearly every other character in Sailor Moon (including ones I prefer to her) are as good as they are because of her very presence.

Usagi Overall:
-Ultimately... Usagi is hard to like on the surface for me, but is one of the most pure characters on the show. Her flaws stand in contrast to the heroism and courage she later displays- the absolutely INCREDIBLE end to the first season, in which her "Princess Serenity" form appears before Queen Metalia, resists her attack, and, fueled by the love and affection her now-dead friends have for her... completely immolates this Evil Nightmare Witch? That scene works so well in part BECAUSE we saw her as a whiny loser who cried at the drop of a hat all season before. She exerts real, effective character development over a hundred episodes, drawing a real line in maturity. And after the goofy SuperS season, she's back to being more mature in Sailor Stars, where is is mournful, regretful and pensive now that her love is far away.

Sailor Moon's Powers:
-Sailor Moon is easily the most powerful Senshi, which makes her tricky to stat out. She's the worst fighter overall, and is generally the least-skilled or physically capable one, which reduces her points-cost considerably. But all those powers.... they need some explanation. The Disguise Pen was rarely-used after the first season, but allowed her to disguise herself back when there weren't five Senshi kicking around and you had one character doing everything. Her Tiara is statted separately from her other attacks, since it's a Removable Device that retained its power over the years (mainly in movies). It has been a Blast, a Snare and even once nullified Mind Control over a small area.

-However, Sailor Moon's Defenses are no better than those of her allies, and combined with her lower Fighting Ability, this makes her vulnerable, and therefore she requires her teammates to either distract the foes, or wear them down. Her "Princess Serenity" stuff is in another build- that character only makes rare (ie. Season Finale) appearances.

Sailor Stars Powers:
-This season features another all-new uniform (now with puffy shoulders, actual WINGS, and a multicolores skirt) and her final attack is now a powerful Blast/Affliction/Transformation effect, turning Phages back into normal humans.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

As a general rule, manga and anime protagonists (in action-adventure genres) tend towards being inept and inexperienced, whereas in American media (in similar genres) our protagonists are usually experienced experts.

Many anime and manga will feature an experienced veteran who acts as a mentor to the hero, but is eventually surpassed by them (and it’s fairly common for them to die). American protagonists used to have kid sidekicks, but that’s fallen off since the late Fifties, although a junior partner or personal assistant has become more common.

Cross-pollination between Japan and America, especially since the anime boom that Sailor Moon and DBZ spearheaded, has begun to blur these lines... But it’s still noticeable.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Princess Serenity

Post by Jabroniville »

Art by Crisis Cissou.

PRINCESS SERENITY (Usagi Tsukino, aka Sailor Moon, Neo-Queen Serenity)
Dub Name:
Serena
Role: The Main Hero, The Crybaby
Main Fuku Colour: Blue
Elemental Alignment: Love
Hair Colour: Strawberry Blonde
PL 15 (220)
STRENGTH
0/1 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+6, +7 Sailor)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 10 (+10)
Investigation 3 (+3)
Perception 3 (+3)
Persuasion 5 (+9, +11 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Moon Attacks) 2 (+9)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Attractive, Daze (Persuasion), Defensive Attack, Equipment (Sailor Communicator), Ranged Attack 5, Taunt, Teamwork, Ultimate Will Save

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

"Moon Stick/Cutie Moon Rod With the Legendary Silver Crystal" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Unbreakable, Restricted 2) [123]
"Cosmic Moon Power" Damage 15 (Feats: Penetrating 12) (Extras: Area- 480ft. Burst +4) (Flaws: Uncontrolled, Fatal -2) Linked to Weaken Toughness 14 (Extras: Area- 480ft. Burst +4) (Flaws: Uncontrolled, Fatal -2) (70) -- (74)
  • AE: "Time Travel" Movement 2 (Time Travel 2) (Feats: Increased Mass 6) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Fatal -2) (8)
  • AE: "Sailor Teleport!" Teleport 14 (Extras: Extended Only +0, Accurate) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (14)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Attack!" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (20)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Power!" Force Field 8 (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (2)
"Moon Healing Escalation!" Affliction 11 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Transformed to Purified Human) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous +3) (Flaws: Distracting, Limited to Basically-Good/Willing Targets) (33)

"Resurrection" Immortality 13 (8 minutes) (Extras: Affects Others, Area- 30ft. Burst) (52)
Immunity 10 (Radiation, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Vacuum, Disease, Poison, Aging, Suffocation 2) (Extras: Affects Others on All But Aging) (19)
Force Field 12 (Extras: Impervious 10) (22)
-- (200 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Sailor Strength +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Moon Tiara Action! +10 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Moon Healing Escalation! +8 (+11 Ranged Affliction, DC 21)
Moon Princess Halation +8 (+13 Ranged Damage, 28)
Planet Attack +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+14 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +10

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Tsukino Usagi, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are charged to fight evil.
Responsibility (Schooling)- Unfortunately, Usagi is terrible at it.
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Responsibility (Princess Serenity)- Usagi/Serena is both the Princess of the Moon Kingdom, and the future Queen of the World. This makes her many enemies, and gives her numerous responsibilities.
Responsibility (I Just Want To Be Normal)- Usagi hates the constant violence, and the threats against her life. Her fondest wish is to "just be a normal girl" once again, and leave all this super-heroing behind.
Power Loss (All Powers)- At times, Usagi's desire to be normal actually affects her powers, and she loses her special abilities.
---
Responsibility (Lazy)- Usagi does not like to do things that require effort.
Responsibility (Gluttonous)- Usagi LOOOOOOOOOOOVES to eat, particularly sweet things.
Responsibility (Incompetent)- Usagi is a poor student.
Responsibility (Sleepyhead)- Usagi is famous for her ability to sleep in past her alarm and be late for school.
Responsibility (Crybaby)- Usagi's first reaction to almost every bit of stress, for YEARS, was to openly cry rivers of tears.
---
Relationship (Naru Osaka)- Naru was Usagi's best friend in the early days- it was them plus two other background girls, and later, only Naru as Usagi's Non-Sailor-Friend.
Relationship (Ami- Sailor Mercury)- Usagi was the only person to befriend the "snobbish" world-class student, and deeply admires Ami's brilliance.
Relationship (Rei- Sailor Mars)- Sailor Mars is grouchy, hard-working, snide and arrogant- she despises all of Usagi's above-mentioned Responsibilities, and is constantly screaming at her to improve. Usagi both hates to be insulted, and spitefully argues back with Rei, who is "So mean!" The two pick at and tease each other, and generally never go more than a day without a big fight. However, Usagi deeply respects Rei's work ethic, beauty, grace and toughness- it is Rei to whom Usagi entrusts the Silver Crystal when she fears she'll break and give it up, and it is Rei's loss that Usagi feels most deeply at D-Point.
Relationship (Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask)- Usagi & Mamoru argued non-stop at first, with him gladly teasing the silly young girl. However, she had a serious crush on the mysterious, handsome Tuxedo Mask, who always came to her rescue. Only later did they realize their true feelings for one another, as they were in fact lovers in another life, and destined to be together in the future. When he breaks up with her in Sailor Moon R, she is emotionally shattered to the point where even her closest friends won't tease her.
---
Relationship (Minako- Sailor Venus)- Usagi was once worshipful of the possibly-fictional Sailor V, but soon comes to view Minako as a kindred spirit in Idol-loving weirdness.
Relationship (Makoto- Sailor Jupiter)- Usagi was the only person to befriend the violent giantess, and comes to deeply admire Mako's strength, hatred of bullies, and cooking ability. That the two have the same taste in men (such as Motoki) is helpful as well.
Relationship (Motoki)- Usagi nursed a serious, but childlike, crush on Motoki Furuhata in the first season.
Relationship (Chibi-Usa)- Usagi hates the bratty little "spore" as much as anything- the two are entirely too much alike. It's only later, once she realizes that "Little Usagi" is actually her own DAUGHTER, from the future, that they start to get along.
---
Phobia (Thunder)- Usagi is petrified of thunder, to the point of screaming, crying and running away to hide when she hears it.
Responsibility (Believes in People)- Usagi has an obsessive desire to see the best in people- she refuses to see only the negatives, and is constantly willing to help, even towards people who despise her (like Nastumi/An).
Responsibility (That Kind Of Girl)- Usagi tends to draw strong reactions from some men, who fall obsessively in love with her at first sight. Umino crushes on her during their time at Junior High. Seijuro/Ail openly crushes on her as soon as he comes to Earth, almost abandoning his lifelong companion for her. Prince Demande is so obsessed with Sailor Moon/Neo-Queen Serenity that he tries to use his powers to RAPE HER.
---
Enemy (The Dark Kingdom, Ail & An, The Black Moon Clan, The Death Busters, Queen Nehellenia, Sailor Galaxia)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 131 / Defenses: 23 (220)

-Princess Serenity is actually Usagi's name from the Moon Kingdom- it's also the name given to her whenever she engages her "Super Form" in the show- something that typically only happens once or twice a season. In the first season, she did it when she uncovered her memories of the Moon Kingdom and watched her beloved Mamoru/Endymion fatally-wounded by Zoisite (in this form, she effortlessly one-shotted both Zoisite & Kunzite), and then again when she saw her friends & Mamoru killed, and had to face down the evil Bitch Queen of the Dark Kingdom solo. In Sailor Moon R, she engages the form against the Death Phantom, allying with Chibi-Usa's own "Princess Form". She's also seen in Sailor stars, forming the dress before becoming a Flying Winged Nudist against Sailor Galaxia.

-Basically, this is an unbelievably powerful incarnation of the character- one that can easily take out PL 14 Death Gods. This also justifies those instances where she takes out a HUGELY-tough creation, like the Doom Phantom or Queen Metalia.

-When she goes all-out, she picks up a group of different powers. Resurrection is a key one (it shows up more than once), and she can also resurrect OTHERS, making it quite pricey compared to the 2e Resurrection Power from "Regeneration". Her REALLY big powers- Time Travel & the super-huge Corrosion/Blast- require her to die for them to work, a -2 Flaw since well, she has Resurrection. The fight's over if she uses it, so again, it'd better work. Time Travel only comes up a couple times (Queen Serenity sent everyone to be resurrected into the future, along with all the villains), but it's there. So when you add all this together, Usagi is one HELL of a powerful fighter, but her best attacks are mostly locked-up, and she needs her team to do her best work.

-Note the "Fatal" Flaw- it basically takes her out of the fight, but since she's got a Resurrecting super-Device on her, it doesn't matter whenever she "Dies". Seriously, the show's almost Dragon Ball Z-level bad for killing everyone off with zero drama, since we KNOW they can just pop right back to life.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:12 am As a general rule, manga and anime protagonists (in action-adventure genres) tend towards being inept and inexperienced, whereas in American media (in similar genres) our protagonists are usually experienced experts.

Many anime and manga will feature an experienced veteran who acts as a mentor to the hero, but is eventually surpassed by them (and it’s fairly common for them to die). American protagonists used to have kid sidekicks, but that’s fallen off since the late Fifties, although a junior partner or personal assistant has become more common.

Cross-pollination between Japan and America, especially since the anime boom that Sailor Moon and DBZ spearheaded, has begun to blur these lines... But it’s still noticeable.
It's funny, but for a while I got really tired of the exact opposite in Japanese series. For a stretch of time, it felt like any time you needed an expert in something in anime or manga, you would wind up with a teenager. Need the perfect bodyguard/killing machine to protect a high school girl? Here's Sousuke in Full Metal Panic! Need people to pilot your giant mechs? Here's every character in a Gundam series. Naturally gifted "alchemist?" Edward Elric. Sometimes they'd deconstruct it (Shinji in Evangeleon, Ranma in Ranma 1/2), but it's part of why I found myself listing series such as Azumanga Daioh, R.O.D. (not the series), and Moribito as two of my all time favorite series. One spotlights teenagers who are idiots in one particular field or trait and watching them grow up, and the other is women in their 20s and 30s being total badasses.