Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Builds! (J.Seyfert! Jean Grey/Phoenix! The Jury! Joseph! Jigsaw!)

Post by Spectrum »

I guess this is my only strong memory of Triathalon:

We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 pm It's funny: watching Sailor Moon episodes on Blu-Ray, I come upon a scene where Sailor Mars, in her civilian identity, is literally dragging around the boy who has a crush on her, heaping piles and piles of bags & boxes of her shopping purchases on him. When he complains, she insults his whininess, his incompetence, and finally emasculates him with "You're supposed to be a MAN, aren't you?"

I was like "... shit. That's where I got it from, isn't it?"

PS wow, nobody cares about these four jerks I posted today, did they :)? Or is there another American holiday this day that I don't know about? I HATE those!
Aren't most of your major kinks covered in that show, in some form?

Ha! What a loser! Sexually formed by an anime!

... Who is still in love with Makoto? Not me. I mean, yeah, she's pretty much perfect, and yeah, I have a type now, but it's been a while, and...

Hey, shut up, alright? *abscond*
Ken

Post by Ken »

Goldar wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:24 pm
Ken wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:07 pm
Goldar wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 pm I never understood the connection between Triathlon and the 3-D Man.

Are their powers identical and equal? Triathlon always seemed somewhat superior in abilities.
Apparently Tremont somehow stole the power from Hal Chandler (3-D Man) and gave the powers to Delroy Garrett (Triathalon). However, because Tremont also had a secondary ... something ... Delroy became 3 times as powerful as a man in PEAK condition, where Chandler was only three times as powerful as his brother Chuck (a military pilot).

Mostly I think this is Kurt Busiek acknowledging power creep, where Roy Thomas tended to be an advocate of power slippage.
Thanks, Ken.

Yeah, I thought both were like 3X strength, speed, stamina. But I remember an Avenger saying Triathlon was almost as fast as Quicksilver, which may have been hyperbole, but he was shown running with speed lines/blurring.

Power slippage...That is funny, but true. Almost like power shrinkage.
Power slippage. Power shrinkage. in either case, it seemed to me in both All-Star Squadron and in some of his old Avengers Thomas did his best to keep power levels down. I remember him having Hourman tell someone that the reports of how much his strength increased with Miraclo were well below what people had heard.

As far as Triathalon's status as a speedster.... Presently, Usain Bolt is considered the world's fastest man, and his top speed is a little over 27 mph. Three times that is 81 mph. The thing is, we don't know if Mr. Bolt is actually at humanity's peak or not.

Now Quicksilver, according to OHOTMU, had a top speed of 125 mph. And, yes, power creep has hit Quicksilver, and now he's much faster than that. But I don't know where he was in the late 90s when Perez was still drawing the Avengers. (The first time I saw Quicksilver display his faster speeds, explicitly, were when Alan Davis was drawing.) But if we use the 125 mph figure... 125 divided by 3 is 41 2/3.

So, if peak human running speed is somewhere between 27 and 40 mph then Triathalon would be running somewhere between 81 and 120 mph. Which is fast enough for an observer to conclude "almost as fast as Quicksilver".

Also, since Bill Carver as Thunderbolt, supposedly had a running speed of 85 mph (again per OHOTMU), and he had speed lines, Triathalon getting speed lines is perfectly editorially consistent.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:56 pm I guess this is my only strong memory of Triathalon:

That was one of the things they were doing with Triathalon. Having him assume things were a particlar way because of the colour of his skin. Never mind that Black Panther, the Falcon, Rage, and -uh- Monica Rambeau* had all been Avengers in the past, it was just happenstance (i.e. author decision) that none of them were present at the time.

Tony's objections to Triathalon were about government interference dictaing that he be added to the team, and his being rather inexperienced. At least as far as I recall.

* - Well, I remember the name Monica started with, which cheeses me off because my fondness for Billy Batson is second only to Ares' around these parts. And the name she's using now, I think, is the same as the handle of the poster I'm responding to. And, even if I used "Photon", I'm pretty sure there's someone else using that name now, as well.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Blind_Pugh

Post by Blind_Pugh »

I've spent the entire day on here clipping up quotes ready to make a big catching up post. Then tiredly forgot what I was doing on another tab and lost it all. :'(
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

BriarThrone wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 pm
Aren't most of your major kinks covered in that show, in some form?

Ha! What a loser! Sexually formed by an anime!
Well, an anime and Rescue Ra-- I MEAN JUST THE ANIME. YES SIR.
... Who is still in love with Makoto? Not me. I mean, yeah, she's pretty much perfect, and yeah, I have a type now, but it's been a while, and...

Hey, shut up, alright? *abscond*
Mmmmm.... gigantic amazonian homemaker...

Though in Jupiter's case, she seems to have even more female fans- they LOVE that whole combination of "macho ass-kicker" and "ultra-feminine cook/housekeeper".
Jabroniville

Janus

Post by Jabroniville »

JANUS (Janus Tepes)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Tomb of Dracula #54 (March 1977)
Role: Father-Fighting Son
Group Affiliations: None
PL 10 (178)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 4 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Eidetic Memory, Improved Critical (Blast), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Dracula's Mind Control) (Extras: Affects Others) [4]
"Weather Control" Environment 5 (Impede Movement, Impede Vision) [10]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
Immortality 1 [2]
Regeneration 5 [5]

Teleport 10 (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (40) -- [46]
  • AE: Eye Blast 10 (20)
  • AE: "Absorb & Repel Energy" Deflect 8 (Extras: Redirection) (16)
  • AE: "Blinding Light" Dazzle Visuals 8 (Extras: Area- Visual Perception) (Flaws: Touch Range) (16)
  • AE: Illusion (Visuals) 8 (16)
  • AE: Morph 1 (Golden Eagle Form) (Extras: Metamorph) (6)
  • AE: "Painful Glance" Affliction 10 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2, Concentration Duration) (Flaws: Limited to Dracula -2) (20)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Eye Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Dazzle Visuals +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Painful Glance -- (+10 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Dracula)- Janus fights against his father.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 10 (178)

-Janus is the son of Dracula- born via a mystical spell (since Vampires can't breed normally), as part of a plan to use the Church of Satan to take over the world. However, the baby died after getting shot, and the man who cast the original spell (and shot the baby by accident) merged his spirit with that of a "Golden Angel" that Dracula had slain years earlier. This allowed Janus to be super-aged to adulthood, and also to turn good. He fought against his father for the most part, but also allied with him against Satan (oh, '70s Marvel). When Quincy Harker had tempoararily destroyed Dracula, Janus was transformed back to an infant as the Angel fled his body, but he apparently returned, turned into a vampire by the followers of Varnae, the original Vampire.

-Janus is a character I'd never heard of until searching for the one-off character from Alpha Flight and discovering Marvel has like FOUR of them, so this is a bit tricky to figure out. I copied Koroko's Advantages for the guy pretty much directly, and read the rest off of Wikipedia. He's a PL 10-ish guy with a lot of random-ass powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Oh hey, Janus! Nice to see him. But like I've said before, I only know him from the terrible Dracula: Sovereign Of The Damned anime movie, which is based on the comic. But yeah, he has a grab-bag of random powers due to his possesion by the Golden Angel. Marvel Wiki says he has a healing factor too, (To quote the wiki: "Janus is capable of regenerating damaged or destroyed tissue to an extent much greater than an ordinary human. Janus can fully heal from multiple gunshots and severe burns within a matter of minutes, however he cannot regenerate missing limbs or organs.") but I don't know if that's in angel form or his later, vampire self. I see you took stuff from my build, too. That's totally fine, of course!
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:47 pm
Power slippage. Power shrinkage. in either case, it seemed to me in both All-Star Squadron
You obviously are not a fan of Seinfeld (shrinkage), although others use it also. I wasn't quibbling terms, just joking over slippage or shrinkage. ;)

But back to the serious. Wouldn't Captain America be considered peak human? I thought I read he has a top running speed of 35 mph. So 3X would be 105 mph. While still not near Quicksilver's 175 mph, it is quite fast, maybe a younger Quicksilver speed level. But I also believe that Pietro has been like Mach 7 since the 1990's.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:48 pm Oh hey, Janus! Nice to see him. But like I've said before, I only know him from the terrible Dracula: Sovereign Of The Damned anime movie, which is based on the comic. But yeah, he has a grab-bag of random powers due to his possesion by the Golden Angel. Marvel Wiki says he has a healing factor too, (To quote the wiki: "Janus is capable of regenerating damaged or destroyed tissue to an extent much greater than an ordinary human. Janus can fully heal from multiple gunshots and severe burns within a matter of minutes, however he cannot regenerate missing limbs or organs.") but I don't know if that's in angel form or his later, vampire self. I see you took stuff from my build, too. That's totally fine, of course!
Yeah, pickings were slim on this guy online, so I got what I could, then added your Advantages (like i copped to in my comments) for lack of better Intel. I just decided to add Janus yesterday because I was posting a little faster than I'd originally planned.
Jabroniville

Judge

Post by Jabroniville »

JUDGE (Michael Hart)
Created By:
Bill Rosemann & Guy Davis
First Appearance: Deadline #1 (June 2002)
Role: One-Series Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (102)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills: 
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (Law) 9 (+12)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
Startle

Powers:
Teleport 10 (Extras: Easy, Extended) (40) -- [41]
AE: "Releases Guilty Spirits" Weaken Stamina 8 (Feats: Accurate 2, Homing 3) (Extras: Ranged) (21)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Releases Spirits +8 (+8 Ranged Weaken, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Judging Criminals)- Michael now sends his Spirits out after criminals, hoping to kill them.
Power Loss (Jugdement)- If the Spirits do not judge someone guilty, then they will stop the victim's heart.
Quirk (Teleport)- Judge's teleportation power tends to make those he carries feel a little nauseous.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 10 (102)

-Michael Hart is a former defender of supervillains when he was an attorney, but turned his life around and became a judge famous for putting them away. However, he and his wife were accidentally shot at the hands of the Tinkerer (one of many baddies he'd thrown in jail), which killed Michael's wife and caused a big change in his body, and so of course he became a vigilante who gave supervillains heart attacks, while the Tinkerer... was his ally? Uh, okay then. Deadline character Kat Farrell follows his story, finding out who he is and interfering, but ultimately hides the truth, impressing Ben Urich, who did the same for Daredevil years before. He hasn't appeared since that series ended, and only showed up in three issues, so he's a very minor, forgotten character.

-Judge can teleport himself and other people (though it nauseates them) or kill them at range with these "Spirits" that kinda track them down.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Blind_Pugh wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:16 pm I've spent the entire day on here clipping up quotes ready to make a big catching up post. Then tiredly forgot what I was doing on another tab and lost it all. :'(
Dang- tough break. Did you have stuff typed down, too?
Blind_Pugh

Post by Blind_Pugh »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:56 amDang- tough break. Did you have stuff typed down, too?
Nothing that would be of any great interest to the thread beyond complimenting you on your wok.

It was just defending Terror inc, asking if anyone knew much about Heart Attack since they were both mentioned in your card post. Saying I wish the Tri-Sentinel would come back, agreeing that I miss fights being an important part of comics as I agree they're as essential to the genre as they are to wrestling which also loses sight of that fact sometimes.

I forget the rest there were a lot things quoted. But I just got through the X-Kids listings and was reminded this guy's on my theoretical X-Book

Lifter and Slick, you can already see the rush to buy it...
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:18 pm Well, an anime and Rescue Ra-- I MEAN JUST THE ANIME. YES SIR.
The worst part of Rescue Rangers wasn't the sexy rodent. It was the way the boys were constantly drooling over her. "Hey, kids! Let's have a really awkward and confusing lesson on sexual attraction, couched in terms of Chip and Dale leering at a mouse in tight clothes!"

Of course I had a kiddie-crush on Gadget.
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:18 pmMmmmm.... gigantic amazonian homemaker...

Though in Jupiter's case, she seems to have even more female fans- they LOVE that whole combination of "macho ass-kicker" and "ultra-feminine cook/housekeeper".
I was super into martial arts and food as a teenager. A tall, athletic brunette into martial arts and cooking was always going to catch my eye, and been my ideal ever since. You're not alone in getting shaped by that show.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

RANDOM COMICS THOUGHTS:

Haha, just got $146.60 in government rebates (GST rebate from last year, and the rebate for the new "CO2 Emissions Tax"), was satisfied, went to the comic store, and of course my Pull List equaled $140.40 :). Consarnit.

Of course, my local shop put in the Monsters Unleashed stuff (it had good art, so I accepted it), but didn't realize that some of the others were one-offs that are like six bucks each. Yeesh- I might have held off on those if I'd known. Though my "To-Read Pile", which was the smallest it's EVER BEEN since I moved into my current place (about six individual comics, plus one Trade), is now sufficiently huge again. FINALLY a new Invincible comes out- that book's final arc is gonna be finished in what, 2021 at this rate?

---

I also had a realization that since I blew so much on eBay last year, and I'm going on vacation again this year, that I need to stop spending as much money, and maybe get some back- so I threw a bunch of the Nu52 comics I had that I don't plan on reading again into a pile, and sold them at the local Used Bookstore. Ninety comics for $22. Not that bad a deal (they sell 'em for a buck each; you get half in store credit, and a quarter in cash- I don't spend the store credit quickly enough), but it really brings to mind just how much I'd spent on those over time. Huntress & Power Girl was never a book I was particularly enamored with- not bad enough to outright cancel, but not terrific- it was always the very last book I read, to the point where the final stretch of nine issues sat on my "To Read" pile for literally a year and a half. But I figured "it's only $3 a month, it's perfectly okay reading, and it helps out my local store", so why not?

Of course, looking at 32 issues (some of which transferred over to Earth 2 at the end) at that price, and suddenly I realize that's $90 spent on the course of a run that was never much past "okay". Which is when I realize how ludicrous a comic book habit looks from the outside- 3-4 bucks an issue isn't THAT BAD, but added up over a couple years' worth of books, and it looks insane.

But yeah, I dropped off those (I barely read them the FIRST time; certainly not going to re-read them ever), plus the first Nu52 Birds of Prey, which ventured from "quite good" to "forgettable" to "okay-ish" very rapidly; first off, they made a big deal out of Starling for half the run, only to casually dump her as soon as a new writer took over- to the point where it looked insanely awkward and like Editorial forced someone's hand. Then they stuck Batgirl on the team to sell more books and give it some cred & history (despite her & Canary not having the same relationship as on the previous BoP where they became a tandem. Then they added- and I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THIS GUY, which tells you how memorable he was- an Asian Telekinetic in Bird Armor who had a thing for Black Canary and a link to their new recurring bad guys, none of whom were particularly memorable. Then they added the "Talon" character from Batgirl's solo book under Gail Simone. It's too bad, because the first issues of the book are decent, and the art was really pretty. But eventually the book became "obvious filler" and not that great.

Also dumped: the first issues of Suicide Quad & Static Shock (neither impressed me, so I didn't collect further- Static Shock in particular was a huge missed opportunity- a young minority hero with some name value, and they made a first issue that was complete impenetrable if you'd never seen the character before. The FIRST ISSUE.), the first seven Red Lanterns (which I'd forgotten I'd owned- it was basically seven issues of Atrocitus giving pretentious narration in an attempt to be "deep", so I eventually dropped it), and then The New Guardians, which I'd forgotten ever existed- essentially "One From Each Corps" teams up to do something, led by Kyle Rayner. It also failed to impress me, so I dumped it. Also left were some New Warriors comics I'd since collected in a trade.

Holy God does the Nu52 look bad, especially in retrospect. At least the Post-Simone Batgirl was terrifically fun and beautifully drawn- the creative team has moved on to Motor Crush, which is probably my favorite book currently, just because of the art style and the action. The new Starfire series was great while it lasted (a mere one-year run)- that Emauela Luppachino (sp?) chick is one of the best artistic talents out right now, and probably draws the best women (it's almost ALWAYS the female artists that draw the best women).