Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Here Comes The General! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!)

Post by Batgirl III »

George Carlin had a whole bit about wanting to edit movies to replace the word “kill” with the word “f––k.”

“We’re gonna f––k ya now, Sheriff. But we’re gonna f––k ya slow...”
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Splinter (Movie)

Post by Jabroniville »

"Were you SEEN?..."
"N-no, Master Splinter! We are NINJAS- we practice stealth and secrecy."
*holds up newspaper of the Turtles rapping in front of a group of people* "Practice HARDER."

SPLINTER
Created By:
Kevin Eastman & Peter Laird
First Appearance: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (May 1984)
Role: The Mentor, The Wise Master
Group Affiliations: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (ally)
Played By: Kevin Clash (that's freakin' ELMO!)
Named For: Ability to Break Boards
PL 8 (121)
STRENGTH
-1/2 STAMINA 0/2 AGILITY -2/4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+2/+8)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Art) 8 (+12)
Expertise (History) 5 (+9)
Expertise (Theology & Philosophy) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Ninja) 9 (+13)
Insight 4 (+9)
Investigation 4 (+9)
Perception 6 (+11)
Persuasion 9 (+11)
Stealth 7 (+6/+10)
Treatment 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Benefit (+2 to Grapple if Opponent Misses in Melee), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 3, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 5, Redirect

Powers:
"Martial Arts Mastery" (All Powers have Flaws: Fades)
Enhanced Strength 3 [3]
Enhanced Stamina 2 [2]
Enhanced Agility 6 [6]

"Rat Physiology"
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Mastery +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative -2 (+4 Mastery)

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +0, Fortitude +3, Will +10
"Using Mastery" Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +2 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +10

Complications:
Relationship (His Sons)- Splinter is a devoted, if sometimes frustrated, father. The lives of his "sons" are vastly important to him. "ALL fathers... love their sons" is what he tells teen runaway Danny.
Secret (Must Remain Hidden From Public View)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 70--35 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 15 (121)

-Splinter's almost as important to the TMNT canon as the boys themselves are, and he defines the "Wise Old Master" archetype better than anyone not named "Miyagi". In the movies, he was a background guy for the most part, but still gave important information towards the boys' origins, made them some friends, and turned the young Daniel to their side by the end. Oh, and he beat The Shredder when none of the others could. Though his movie origin was the same as his ridiculous initial one (he's a RAT who learned MARTIAL ARTS?), they probably did him better than just about any other medium I've seen. And yeah, he's voiced by FRICKIN' ELMO.

-But holy shit, this scene- this is WONDERFUL. Best, most thoughtful version of Splinter ever. Look at Raphael, completely in AWE of what just happened, as shocked as anyone that he had the spiritual calm necessary for it. The sheer love of Raph & Leo holding hands in a "We DID IT!" after all their scrapping earlier. Goofy, whacky Michelangelo brought to tears from it. Greatest TMNT EVER.

-Guys like Splinter are hard to stat up, because they're supposed to be elite old masters, but are now physically decrepit and weak. I figured the best way was to make him supremely accurate in combat, and hard to hit, but also make him reliant on Fading boosts (ie. Chi) for all of his damage-dealing and quickness-based moves. This gives him just enough ability to bluff out Shredder when he crazily charges at him, and toss him off a building ledge, for instance. He's also nearly equal to all his boys for at least a couple rounds, before his Chi wears off and he's dropped to old-man levels. In "TMNT" he seems comparatively spry, which is one of the few continuity shifts between films.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:47 pm
Curbludgeon wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:47 pm Here's a decent article on James Ferman, the U.S.-born British film censor, and his largely-arbitrary approach to the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. As for the characters, I liked Donatello the most since a lot of the episodes were based around his latest invention, but think Raphael's Rob Paulsen is my favorite voice actor in the show.
It’s always such a funny thing- American fiction features SCADS of violence, while sex is obscured as something that can’t ever be shown (R-rated blockbusters have almost entirely become a thing of the past- gone are the once-common nude scenes in major releases)... while in the UK, the opposite seems true. Nudity is so common that major actresses appear nude CONSTANTLY, and the firggin’ newspapers have naked ladies, but violence is censored heavily.

I know Brits have pointed that out repeatedly- they’re often flabbergasted by the orgiastic violence of American media.
We do have what's known as 'the watershed' here in the UK which is 9.pm, after that time pretty much anything goes when it comes to swearing, violence and simulated sex because it's assumed any kids young enough to be effected by such will be in bed. We often have celebrities from the US appearing on talk shows being surprised at what they're allowed to say on TV, because of this I've always just assumed US TV was more strict.

Many movies (especially those released in the 80's and 90's) had a huge number of cuts when they were first shown on terrestrial TV so they could be aired before the watershed. Sadly even now many of those channels still show the cut version of movies even when it's aired late at night.

I don't know for sure because I don't buy newspapers but I don't think they have naked ladies in them any more.
Last edited by M4C8 on Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It's amazing how much emotion and... just... acting that they were able to convey with those suits. I've seen films with far bigger budgets and living, breathing, human actors that can't get as much dramatic impact out of entire scenes that the first Turtles movie did with close-ups of rubber masks.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

M4C8 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:12 am We do have what's known as 'the watershed' here in the UK which is 9.pm, after that time pretty much anything goes when it comes to swearing, violence and simulated sex because it's assumed any kids young enough to be effected by such will be in bed. We often have celebrities from the US appearing on talk shows being surprised at what they're allowed to say on TV, because of this I've always just assumed US TV is more strict.
Ironically so when you consider the tone of most of our movies, US television is very strict in what can and can't be shown. Although we have a similar thing with the "watershed", our time is normally 10 pm (which if you watch wrestling, you can tell the time depending on the amount of violence shown on the second half of the two hour long programs that start at 8 pm, just an interesting fact I discovered years ago).

As for the TMNT, my introduction to them came from the RPG. It was THE COOLEST thing I'd ever seen at that point and I was instantly hooked as I was only barely aware of the TMNT at that point and got into them big because of it (I played an uplifted ferret, named Frank who'd been commando trained, because enlarging small animals was easier than shrinking large animals ironically enough in that game). From there I searched out the indie book and loved it, which is what got me into comics in the first place (I'd add Amazing Spider-Man & the original X-Factor to my starting collection). I even got into the first cartoon and watched for about 3 season (I think), but age and the uncoolness of such things at the time (it was the 90s & being a nerd wasn't anywhere as cool as it nowadays) combined with the cartoon becoming more focused on being "kid friendlier" turned me off it (luckily though, I stuck with my interests in comics & RPGs, just kept them low key).

About 4 years ago I finally threw out my last VCR, which I'd kept just so I could periodically watch my copy of the first TMNT movie. Honestly it's been the best of all the TMNT movies made, but I do think the last pair were pretty well done for being Michael Bay movies (I'm not a fan of most of his cinematic work) and I recall thinking that the animated movie with the stone immortals was pretty good too. Of course I'm viewing them all separate of one another even though I guess the animated one was supposed to be tied to the first movies or the then-time current tv show (which I didn't watch, because I'm cheap & wouldn't pay more (we're talking like at least $30 bucks more a month) for my satellite package for a higher tier just for 2-4 channels I'd like to have). So I'm really enjoying this run of builds.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Casey Jones (Movie)

Post by Jabroniville »

"... Hey, what are you- some sort of punker?... I hate punkers. Especially... bald ones wearing green makeup, who wear masks over ugly faces."

CASEY JONES
Created By:
First Appearance: Raphael #1 (1985)
Role: Human Buddy, Crazed Vigilante
Group Affiliations: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (ally)
Played By: Elias Koteas
Named For: Fabled Train Engineer
PL 8 (98)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Sports Equipment) 3 (+11)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Hockey Player) 3 (+7)- Uses Agility
Expertise (Streetwise) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+3)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 4 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+6) -- Flaws: Limited to Ground Vehicles

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment 2 (Sports Equipment), Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Improved Critical (Sports Equipment) 3, Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown

Equipment:
"Hockey Stick" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Trip, Reach) (4)
"Baseball Bat" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
"Cricket Bat" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
"Golf Club" Strength-Damage +2 (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sports Equipment +11 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (Punkers)- Casey hates punkers. Especially bald ones with green facepaint and bandanas.
Motivation (Justice)- Casey is sick of hoods in his 'hood, and so he breaks the law willingly, and chases down this punks and kicks their asses in with his makeshift weaponry.
Relationship (The Turtles)- Casey is at first a rival of Raphael, but he comes to see the good the Turtles do, and teams up with them.
Relationship (April O'Neil)- Casey started out harassing the pretty young reporter for attention, then started insulting her when she rebuffed him. Eventually, the two grew closer. By "TMNT", they're in love but still argumentative with each other.
Phobia (Enclosed Spaces)- Casey suffers from Claustrophobia, and reacts poorly to being called out on it ("You're claustrophic!" "... You want a punch in the mouth? I never even LOOKED at another guy before!"). He even rolls down the windows while trying to sleep in the front of a truck.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (98)

-Casey Jones was an idol to tons of kids I knew growing up in the late '80s, early '90s era. Like, he had everything little kids liked- he was tough, violent, psychotic, dressed like Jason and beat the crap out of people using sporting goods equipment- he was PERFECT. Oddly, unfamiliar with the Mirage comics, I took my love for the guy from the cartoon series, where he only appeared in FOUR episodes, two of which I actually saw. It's funny because in every single other continuity (except the Archie comics, which quickly formed their own unique supporting cast), he was a much more important character, essentially becoming a recurring member of the cast.

-But I still prefer his psychotic, bad-ass '90s toon version (he talks like a young Clint Eastwood), not that his movie version didn't RULE. The best pure actor of the bunch for the film, Elias Koteas played him up a bit more as a buffoonish joker (at one point, he calls April "broadzilla") who was nonetheless also violent. Sadly, he only used the BAD-ASS HOCKEY MASK for a few bits of the film, since actors want to show their faces on screen more often than not (think of how many times Tobey Maguire lost the Spidey mask in his movies). But he still got to kick the ass of "The Dragon" in the movie, and got most of the best lines as well (see above).

-Casey Jones isn't quite up to the levels of the Turtles, being more of a street-level rough & tough brawler using makeshift weapons, and being heavily underpointed thanks to not having ninja skillz and all that. But he's still very capable, especially with his Sports Equipment (most guys get accuracy penalties for using makeshift weapons, but his Attack Spec. makes that null and void), and is realistically good enough to beat Raphael in one-on-one combat (he's a PL lower, but that isn't a wide margin). He got his ass kicked pretty easily by Tatsu near the film's climax, but the second he got hold of a golf club and a one-liner, it was all over.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (TMNT: The Movie! April! Splinter! Casey Jones!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Weird fact about Casey "The Baddest Man Alive" Jones: he actually has Rabies and can go into a "Bezerker" Mode, increasing his PL on Offense, but losing all his Defense bonuses....

Game stuff aside, this dude's my Favorite "Street-Level" Hero in all of Movie New York. Keep your Maguire-man, THIS guy might've got his Ass kicked by a Ninja Master in front of a bunch of kid's, but at least he wasn't an Emo Douchbag that looked like K.D.Lang...
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

April and Casey are my "coal mine canaries" of the TMNT franchise, the closer you got to the '80s cartoon versions (i.e. pure damsel in distress for April and marginalized side character for Casey) the more I'm liable not to like the product.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:17 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:31 am
And why don't you like Pizza anyway?
The taste and smell of cheese makes me nauseous, and the sheer sexual OBSESSION most people have with it gives me the most epic form of hype aversion imaginable. Try going to a restaurant in North America (in Europe, slathering cheese on everything is pretty low-class and weird) and asking for "no cheese" and see how long it takes before they stop accidentally putting it on, or it comes out wrong. EVERYONE defaults to it, and you get the "WHAAAAAAAT? BUT HAVE YOU TRIED EVERY KIND???" people, too. It makes ordering in a restaurant a nightmare.

Add to that being forced to go to pizza parties as a kid, or college roommates who order out, and having that smell everywhere, lol. It's like having a song you hate, except it doesn't go away for 35 years, lol.
Over here asking for a pizza with no cheese is relatively normal. Although the default recipe calls for mozzarella, most pizza places have no issue removing it and since pizza must be made at the moment there is very little risk of "cross-contamination".
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

The Foot Clan

Post by Jabroniville »

ELITE FOOT SOLDIER
Created By:
Role: Mooks
Group Affiliations: The Foot Clan
Played By: Assorted Stuntmen
Named For: Parody of Marvel's "The Hand"
PL 5 (62)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 3 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (Street Rat) 6 (+6)
Insight 4 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Ninja Weapons) 3 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 2 (Ninja Gear), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Ninja Weapons" Short Sword +2, Battle Axe +3, Shuriken +2, Chain +1- Reach 4, etc.

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Weapons +5 (+2-3 Damage, DC 18-20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +1

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (62)

STANDARD FOOT SOLDIER
Created By:
Role: Mooks
Played By: Assorted Stuntmen
Named For: Parody of Marvel's "The Hand"
PL 4 (47)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+3)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+5)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Street Rat) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Ninja Weapons) 1 (+4)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 2 (Ninja Gear), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Ninja Weapons" Short Sword +2, Battle Axe +3 (note- usually one less Accuracy for this weapon), Shuriken +2, Chain +1- Reach 4, etc.

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Weapons +4 (+2-3 Damage, DC 18-20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (47)

-Foot Clan Ninjas are the ultimate cannon fodder minions, being just capable enough to kick a hero's ass en masse, but nothing resembling a challenge one-on-one. The movie versions are honestly my favourite ever, having the cool 'mesh eyepieces' and an all-black look, instead of being generic skull-headed robots who explode on contact with anything solid. They had their own set of bad-ass moments (the guy slapping April telling her to "Shut it!", throwing Raphael through a SKYLIGHT), and had a cool origin, being an old ninja clan now filled with street kids and other runaways, trained by The Shredder and his second, Tatsu.

-Foot Soldiers are pretty capable Minions all things considered, being PL 4-5 melee fighters, but are pretty limited in combat, being quick guys with weapons who have to team up to do their best work. They don't even have Power Attack, since I never saw a powerhouse Foot Soldier, and most of 'em fit the "Skinny fast guy" schtick.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

These Foot Clan gives me an idear.....:evil:
Jabroniville

Tatsu

Post by Jabroniville »

TATSU
Created By:
Bobby Herbeck (movie's main writer)
First Appearance: The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (film) (March 1990)
Role: The Dragon (to The Shredder), Mook Trainer
Played By: Toshihiro Obata, Voiced by Michael McConnohie
PL 7 (82)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Expertise (Ninja) 5 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 5 (+7)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (82)

-Tatsu was a great minion in the TMNT movies, filling a necessary role of #2 in the Foot Clan organization that was missing with a lack of Bebop & Rocksteady, as well as being kind of "The Dragon" for The Shredder, being a top-notch combatant on his own, and enough to intimidate rookies, punish guys when he's mad, beat the crap out of a weaponless Casey Jones, etc. He didn't speak a lot (his actor couldn't speak English, so he was dubbed), he was grouchy, and he was just the right kind of side-character a fighting-based movie needs.

-There's a very good scene in the first film where Tatsu, in a fit of rage, starts breaking stuff all over the Foot's hide-out, grabs one of the teens, and beats him so mercilessly that the others are horrified. It's notable for two reasons. 1) It shows you that this ideal-looking, bad-ass lifestyle in the "Bad Kids Hangout" is actually REALLY AWFUL, because these are dangerous psychopaths and hanging around them can get you seriously hurt. Sort of like the end of an Anti-Drug PSA. 2) If you look carefully, you can tell that the guy IS DEAD. Seriously, Tatsu fatally-injures him with his assault. All of the kids' horrified faces show this. And note how the guy is heard coughing, while someone mutters "you're gonna be okay"... that's OVERDUBBED DIALOGUE, added to reduce the horror of the scene. You can tell because it's all off-camera. Much like Duke's death in G.I. Joe: The Movie, it's taken away to avoid mortifying too many kids (or their parents).

-Tatsu is a VERY capable henchman, being quite strong, fast and REALLY accurate for what amounts to an extra or speed-bump character for the heroes in an RPG. He's almost tough enough to beat a Turtle one-on-one, but certainly no match against all of them (in fact, by the second movie, all four curbstomped him with EASE with a four-man shell-check maneuver), but he's good. He can beat the snot out of a ton of his own henchmen, he can challenge a Turtle in a pinch, and he beat the HELL out of Casey Jones when the latter was unarmed. Seriously, it was a comedic beat-down with poor Casey being tossed all over the place, until he fell into a chache of (gasp!) SPORTS EQUIPMENT.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Shame Tatsu didn't appear more often, really. Though I suppose the role of "Human Second in Command of the Foot" is usually filled by Karai in other verses. He did have some other apeparances, though, aside from the first two movies: He was in one of the video games (Hyperstone Heist for Sega Genesis) as a boss, and he's got an incarnation in the 2012 series, too (of course).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

betterwatchit wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:14 pm There was even a TMNT concert tour: Coming Out of Their Shells
They even got interviewed by OPRAH- the infamous "I'm trying to talk April into an interspecies relationship!" line comes from there.

It's hard to explain to modern young'ins just how big the Turtles were. This created a debate on the Discord when I brought it up, but in terms of being a cross-cultural phenomenon, not many touch it. Doing concert tours, video games, toys, etc.- it was enormous and it was everywhere.

This like of Top-Grossing Multimedia Franchises tells a bit of a story. This kind of thing would be hard to properly assess, but it's pretty interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... franchises

The Turtles sit just under Super Sentai (Power Rangers) and above James Bond, Spongebob, and even Frozen (a mere #35, but shockingly high considering it's the only one in the Top 40 less than 10 years old)- and the majority of the list is around $15 billion. Now... some stuff has made more money, or peaked for longer (Pokemon notably hit huge and then stayed at nearly the same level, while the TMNT have always been a fourth-tier franchise since 1994 or so), but in terms of just being omnipresent in society and having a billion ripoffs, it's insanely high up there. And they're up $2 billion on Transformers for merch, which is crazy considering TF has been a way bigger deal toy-wise for 25 years now. THAT's how big Peak Turtles were.

Yu-Gi-Oh is always the tricky one for me. The card game is a huge success story and has made billions, but culturally? Most older people don't even know what it is and the anime's been ignored here for years now- looking at it, card sales make up the vaaaaaaaaaast majority of its money, and the rest is not that impressive. Hello Kitty is bigger as a marketing/merch thing than for the anime, but at least everyone knows what it is. But the Turtles at their peak were huge in a way that few things in Western society have been- its contemporaries are Harry Potter, Frozen and Star Wars, pretty much.

Also notable is The Avengers and how tiny a slice of their pie is actually made up of comic book sales, lol. And look at Dora the Explorer having even more merch sales than Frozen!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Lotta comments to sort through! I'll try to get to most of them:
Zephrosyne wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:48 pm Hey, Jab, just read your comment under the Michaelangelo build about being the only person in the universe who "hates pizza." Well, you are not alone, my father also hates pizza. I would just like to state for the record that you are both blasphemous heathens and will burn eternally for it. Well, you two and my niece who hates French fries, little Commie heifer. Have a nice day :).
:P
Catsi wrote:One of my favorite Ralph scenes comes from the Roadhogs the supplement to After the Bomb

A bunch of roadhogs are raiding what looks like a group of farmers near a temple. the farmers reveal theyre actually trained ninjas who set a trap for the roadhogs and proceed to kick their rear ends until the boss an armadillo gets into the fight and turns the tables

thars when this elderly and clearly going senile old turtle in a cloak appears berates the bunch of them and when confronted by the armadillo boss promptly guts the poor bastard with a pair of Sais then turns to leave and as he does turns to one of the students and says clean this up will you mike
Yeah, I read the same one. I still remember the panel where the guy taunts him for missing, and he goes "Perhaps... perhaps not" and turns his sai around and stabs the guy in the back with it on the return.
Tattooedman wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:46 am As for the TMNT, my introduction to them came from the RPG. It was THE COOLEST thing I'd ever seen at that point and I was instantly hooked as I was only barely aware of the TMNT at that point and got into them big because of it (I played an uplifted ferret, named Frank who'd been commando trained, because enlarging small animals was easier than shrinking large animals ironically enough in that game). From there I searched out the indie book and loved it, which is what got me into comics in the first place (I'd add Amazing Spider-Man & the original X-Factor to my starting collection). I even got into the first cartoon and watched for about 3 season (I think), but age and the uncoolness of such things at the time (it was the 90s & being a nerd wasn't anywhere as cool as it nowadays) combined with the cartoon becoming more focused on being "kid friendlier" turned me off it (luckily though, I stuck with my interests in comics & RPGs, just kept them low key).

About 4 years ago I finally threw out my last VCR, which I'd kept just so I could periodically watch my copy of the first TMNT movie. Honestly it's been the best of all the TMNT movies made, but I do think the last pair were pretty well done for being Michael Bay movies (I'm not a fan of most of his cinematic work) and I recall thinking that the animated movie with the stone immortals was pretty good too. Of course I'm viewing them all separate of one another even though I guess the animated one was supposed to be tied to the first movies or the then-time current tv show (which I didn't watch, because I'm cheap & wouldn't pay more (we're talking like at least $30 bucks more a month) for my satellite package for a higher tier just for 2-4 channels I'd like to have). So I'm really enjoying this run of builds.
Cool! Not only are you an RPG-born fan but they got you into frickin' COMICS, too, which is what led you here :).
April and Casey are my "coal mine canaries" of the TMNT franchise, the closer you got to the '80s cartoon versions (i.e. pure damsel in distress for April and marginalized side character for Casey) the more I'm liable not to like the product.
That's fair. Even if it ignores how Cartoon Casey is possibly Greatest Casey. He's just around too rarely.