Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (J.Seyfert! Jean Grey/Phoenix! The Jury! Joseph! Jigsaw!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Blind_Pugh wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 am Nothing that would be of any great interest to the thread beyond complimenting you on your wok.

It was just defending Terror inc, asking if anyone knew much about Heart Attack since they were both mentioned in your card post. Saying I wish the Tri-Sentinel would come back, agreeing that I miss fights being an important part of comics as I agree they're as essential to the genre as they are to wrestling which also loses sight of that fact sometimes.

I forget the rest there were a lot things quoted. But I just got through the X-Kids listings and was reminded this guy's on my theoretical X-Book

Lifter and Slick, you can already see the rush to buy it...
That's too bad- sounded like a fun post. As you can tell by reading my thread, "Stream of Consciousness Writing" is big with me :).
Jabroniville

Jaine Cutter

Post by Jabroniville »

JAINE CUTTER
Created By:
Warren Ellis & Leonardo Manco
First Appearance: Hellstorm- Prince of Lies #12 (1994)
Role: Bad-Ass Goth Chick, Failed '90s Character, Demonic Bad Girl
Group Affiliations: None
PL 9 (124)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Magic) 7 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist, Startle

Powers:
"White Styx Iron Skin" Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 9) [15]
"Claws & Spikes" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) [3]
Senses 2 (Vision Penetrates Concealment) (Flaws: Limited to Ghosts & Spirits) [1]
"Siomancy" Comprehend 2 (Spirts) [4]

"Breathing Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [15]
Blast 8 (Flaws: Last 2 Ranks Limited to Demons) Linked to Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Demons) (24 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Breathing Gun +8 (+6-8 Ranged Damage & +10 Weaken, DC 21-23 & DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+10 Iron Skin, +5 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Killing Demons)
Relationship (Daimon Hellstrom)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 9 (124)

-Jaine Cutter is an character related to Son of Satan during his '90s Hellstorm days, and is a witch who sold the souls of seven policemen to a demon in return for magical gear. Hellstorm went after her, but the two soon began bangin', which later became something more long-term (ain't it always the way? Chicks dig bad boys). Once Hellstorm was cancelled a year after her introduction, she spent five years on the shelf before showing up in a Thunderbolts comic, then a Civil War tie-in and a Ghost Rider Limited Series, always in minor roles. According to the Unofficial Appendix guys, she was a "very interesting character" in Warren Ellis's hands, which of course means she's hard to get a handle on for any writer who ISN'T born a little crazy- the guy suggests the usual murderer's row of druggies and weirdos (Morrison, Moore, etc.).

-Jaine is a witch who seemed to cast only one ritual- the rest of the time she uses her claws and "Breathing Gun" on things. She's PL 7.5-ish in melee, PL 7-9 with the Breathing Gun (depending on whether or not you're demonic), and PL 9 defensively, thanks to some semi-invulnerable skin.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arkrite

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Jury! Joseph! Jigsaw! Janus! Judge! J.Cutter!)

Post by Arkrite »

You know I never got the furry thing at all.

But I'd make an exception for Gadget. She was a sweetheart.

How have they never revisited the Rescue Rangers concept?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:01 am You know I never got the furry thing at all.

But I'd make an exception for Gadget. She was a sweetheart.

How have they never revisited the Rescue Rangers concept?
Disney's TV division is basically a more heartless version of Logan's Run- once your sixty-five episodes are up; you're gone. That's all they need for syndication. They were MERCILESS in this regard- it took a Herculean effort to get Kim Possible more episodes, and that was more than a decade later. Though they wisely came off it when mega-hits like That's So Raven (hated it) and Phineas and Ferb (I don't get it... I don't HATE it, but I don't get why it was so widely popular for so long) hit big. Even Lizzie Maguire only lasted sixty-five, though they probably would have gone for more of Hilary Duff hadn't moved on to movies so quickly (though those soon bombed and she kinda disappeared).

But that's why things like Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers and other, well-beloved shows, were basically "Disappeared" like they never existed.

Though it has one weird legacy- Gadget's Go-Coaster is easily the single attraction in Disneyland named for the most-obscure thing. At least Song of the South (basis for Splash Mountain) has major notoriety. 90% of the people who visit Disneyland's Toon Town will have NO IDEA what this "kiddie coaster" is named for, unless they grew up in a very specific timeframe.

P.S. Gadget & Minerva Mink from Animaniacs don't count towards a Furry Fetish. Everyone gets a pass for that. It's in the rules.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (J.Seyfert! Jean Grey/Phoenix! The Jury! Joseph! Jigsaw!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:56 pm I guess this is my only strong memory of Triathalon:

The Avengers has wisely included the "Y NO BLACKS?" thing into their comic (rather than simply ignore it, or to publicly fight it- remember kids, it's always better to MAKE A STORY OUT OF IT than simply gloss it over) no less than three times, as far as I can remember. First, it was Douchebag Supreme Henry P. Gyrich enforcing a government-mandated "quota" on the Avengers by demanding The Falcon's placement on the team. Second, it was newbie Rage throwing a tantrum at a press conference by the team, calling them out for a lack of diversity. And in this instance, it was Triathlon repeatedly badgering them for lack of minorities. In all three cases, "Diversity" meant "More Blacks", and in all three cases, they were like "we don't specifically NOT INCLUDE minorities; it just HAPPENS that way!" and the quotas are viewed as silly and artificial (in the second case, this was Larry Hama, a noted ethnic minority, making the point, while still acknowledging that diversity & inclusion are GOOD THINGS). Culturally, it was kind of in reference to how people viewed Affirmative Action and other things.

And of course it makes sense IN-UNIVERSE for the idea of "quotas" to be silly. Though I'd say the "meta" reason (ie. lack of minority characters that anyone feels like pushing) is more of a concern. But yeah, in today's culture, the blogosphere would go NUTS if such a mockery was made of this attitude.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I much preferred the late nineties / early aughts approach to social issues: addressing them in character and exploring them through story. Not just shoving "social justice-approved!" characters into the starring role of established books and not bothering to tell good stories.

In the late nineties, Kyle Rayner learned his assistant was gay and HIV positive, it was a bit ham-fisted, but at least it was an organic way for the established main character and his supporting cast to grow.

In "The New 52," presto, Alan Scott is a gay dude now. They don't actually do anything with this... but he's totes gay. They remind you in every press release, er, each issue.

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Johnny Guitar & Dr. Sax

Post by Jabroniville »

JOHNNY GUITAR (Johnathan Logan)
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth & Frank Springer
First Appearance: Dazzler #20 (Oct. 1982)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: Johnny Guitar & Dr. Sax
PL 6 (47)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+2)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+1)
Expertise (Music) 3 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Wicked Guitar" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [10]
Sonic Blast 8 (16 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Sonic Guitar +4 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Addiction (Gambling)

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 7 (47)

DOCTOR SAX (Johnathan Logan)
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth & Frank Springer
First Appearance: Dazzler #20 (Oct. 1982)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: Johnny Guitar & Dr. Sax
PL 6 (49)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+2)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+1)
Expertise (Music) 3 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Crazy Sax" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [12]
Affliction 6 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed to Random Actions) (Extras: Area- Audio Perception, Selective) (18 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Crazy Sax +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Disabled (Blind)- Sax cannot see anything without special goggles. Even with them, he can generally only make out shapes.
Relationship (Wife & Three Children)

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 7 (49)

-Johnny Guitar & Dr. Sax are a pair of losers who started stealing to pay the bills when their musical careers failed to take off and satisfy their pregnant girlfriends. They were inspired to become super-villains by The Trapster, and got their tech from a more bush-league Tinkerer called The Techmaster. They got specialized musical instruments with super-powers, but were both easily defeated by DAZZLER of all people. They weren't seen until The Initiative, which revealed what they'd been doing since then- they were mostly-jobless losers, and Johnny'd been dumped by his girl, and they attempted to get into various criminal gangs. Once rejected by The Circus of Crime (I repeat: REJECTED. By the CIRCUS OF CRIME), they hooked up with Osborn's Initiative of crooks. But, as a loser Jobber Duo, they were chosen as part of the sacrificial squadron that was being sent into The Negative Zone prison.

-When Johnny discovered this, he deliberately-injured Dr. Sax's hand so he'd be spared in the ensuing onslaught, deciding that Sax's daughter needed a father in her life. Sax never knew why his friend had attacked him, but sure enough, Johnny was slain handily in battle.

-A couple of losers who would have to STUDY UP to be at the Jobber Level, neither guy is any better than say, Boomslang. They're not even THAT GOOD AT MUSIC.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devastation Bob

Post by Devastation Bob »

Too bad they couldn't form a band fronted by Angar the Screamer with backup vocals by Hypno-Hustler and the Mercy Killers.
Spam

Post by Spam »

If youre not good enough as a musician to make a living at it, why would you expect to succeed as a musically themed supervillian? After hearing them, Techmaster should have just handed them a gun that turned everything to diamonds and told them to go rob a bank.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Johnny Guitar and Dr. Sax remind me of the musician bosses from God Hand. (Which is totally a good, obscure Playstation 2 game, but hard as nails!)

But man, rejected by the CIRCUS OF CRIME? That's bad. Though, speaking of those guys, apparently the Clown of that group at one point was mutated by gamma radiation to become "Griffin" of the Gamma Corps., who I have never heard of. (Yes, yet another Gamma-powered team of guys. And no, not that Griffin)
Jabroniville

The Juggernaut, Bitch!

Post by Jabroniville »

For all the fun we make of Rob Liefeld (and with good reason), this was straight-up my favorite drawing ever as a kid.

And really, this is truly one of the greatest Powerhouse Designs ever- deceptively-simple, it just gives off the impression of this MASSIVE guy, and the helmet disguises his neck, making him look even more muscular.

THE JUGGERNAUT (Cain Marko)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The X-Men #12 (July 1965)
Role: Evil Family Member, Powerhouse, Memetic Invincible Guy
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, The X-Men, New Excalibur, The Exiles (Malibu Comics), The Thunderbolts, The Exemplars
PL 12 (204)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 15 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+6)
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 12 (+12, +14 Size)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Objects) 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage For 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2, Ultimate Toughness Save, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Possessed of the Gem of Cyttorak"
"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Power-Lifting 3 (12,000 tons) [3]
Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious 25) [28]

"Super-Strength Feats"
"Shockwave" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Both Grounded) (24) -- [28]
  • AE: "Thunderclap" Dazzle Hearing 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Touch Range, Distracting) (12)
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (18)
  • AE: "Groundstrike Line" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (18)
  • AE: Penetrating Strength Damage 16 (16)
"Nothing Stops the Juggernaut!"
Enhanced Strength 5 (Flaws: Limited to Maintaining Forward Movement) [5]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Immunity 11 (Life Support, Aging) [11]

"Juggernaut Helmet" (Flaws: Removable) [16]
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) (20 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Area Attacks +12 (+12 Damage and/or Affliction, DC 27 and/or 22)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +18 (+13 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Cain Marko is an arrogant blowhard, and enjoys being the most powerful individual around. He takes challenges seriously.
Responsibility (Overconfident)- Cain's so tough that he fears nothing, even when he should. People who prove themselves stronger than him (like Onslaught) tend to leave him emotionally broken for a time.
Enemy (Charles Xavier)- Marko bullied Xavier when they were children, and was still hostile to the man at an older age.
Enemy (Thor)- Occasionally, Juggernaut ends up getting tossed-in as a one-off Thor foe, given that he's one of the few regular villains that can take a shot from Mjolnir.
Relationship (Black Tom Cassidy)- Black Tom & The Juggernaut eventually became Heterosexual Life Partners (well... maybe not ENTIRELY...), teaming up in all things. Eventually the two split when Tom went increasingly-crazy, his body mutating into the wood that he used to fire his powers.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 99 / Defenses: 13 (204)

Nothing Stops the Juggernaut:
-The Juggernaut is a Marvel semi-legend for a reason. An unstoppable force in a book with not that many uber-elites at any point, he's one of the few recurring X-villains from the '60s that actually had staying power, and ended up getting COOLER as the years went on, as writers & artists perfected how to work out massive super-strong battles, and draw powerhouses as true Giants. So his running feuds with Colossus (more like him punking the young turk), The Hulk and nearly everyone else with muscle give him more and more of a push. Hell, he's one of the few characters who's bigger NOW than he was in his Stan 'n' Jack days.

-The Juggernaut made his debut as Charles Xavier's obnoxious, pain in the ass stepbrother (which becomes curious the more aged Xavier became in comparison to how Cain looked & acted) who had gained some mysterious superpower from that most generic of origin stories: the Mysical Treasure. He then shows up at the X-Mansion, plows through its defenses, and is only stopped when Xavier literally has to call in another superhero for help, as the Human Torch "hypnotizes" Juggy with pulses of flame (???), allowing Angel to remove his helmet and Xavier's Telepathy to win the day. His appearances were actually few and far between, often multiple years apart (during an era in which Cobra & Mr. Hyde made appearances every few months), especially once The Uncanny X-Men was cancelled. It wasn't until Claremont's run that the character saw more use, and by this point he'd also shuffle around the Marvel Universe, fighting guys like Spider-Man & The Hulk frequently. By this point, the X-Men villain had actually become Marvel's most iconic "Super-Strong & Durable Villain", easily outstripping guys like Abomination. And this is what's led to his modern success.

-Generally, "Juggernaut Stories" ended in only one way- since the villain was functionally unstoppable, you had to remove his Mystical Helmet in order to render him vulnerable to Telepathic assault (which meant either Xavier or Marvel Girl could stop him). But his DURABILITY, though- the guy would become so well known for this that he became a Power-Geek favorite, and despite not having a regular book, he managed to avoid the common pratfalls of "Can't Be Hurt/Stopped/Overpowered/Broken" things in comics, and not get used to "put over" new, tough characters every other year (see: Captain America's Shield, which now gets routinely broken in mega-stories).

Juggernaut- A New Era:
-When the Juggernaut returns in Claremont's X-Men, he gains a new facet with his best buddy, Black Tom Cassidy, the under-powered, but sneaky, career criminal and cousin to the X-Men's Banshee. He then appears in an iconic Spider-Man issue in which the completely out-of-his-league Spidey has to fight "The Unstoppable Juggernaut", throwing every damn trick in the book at the villain (who is immune to any damage Spidey can muster), before Peter uses that ol' brain of his and tricks Juggy into walking into a giant pile of setting concrete- it takes the villain over a month to dig his way out, and thus the day is saved.

-In another classic issue, the X-Men are having a debate about Colossus, who has broken Kitty Pryde's heart and dumped her. Wolverine, defending the heartbroken girl, decides that Peter has "Welshed" on his "giri- a blood debt", and thus he deserves to have his ass kicked. Nightcrawler, a bit kinder and more mature, decides that this is stupid, and argues his case ("He's only a boy!" "Then he deserves a spanking"). So Logan lures Colossus to a local bar in order to beat the crap out of him... except there, they find the Juggernaut. And soon, Juggy & Colossus are beating the hell out of each other, trashing the entire building, resulting in Peter's inevitable defeat at his invulnerable opponent (despite fighing well, Colossus was simply way out of his league)- in a funny bit, Juggy threatens Logan with "You want some, too?" and Wolvie just goes "Nope". Juggernaut declares him a "smart man", and tells him to congratulate Peter for doing so well once he wakes up- Juggy was impressed by his skills! Wolverine then is hilariously like "WELP I guess that's his punishment!" and declares the matter finalized.

Juggernaut in the '90s:
-Juggernaut is one of the few "Early Era" villains not to be completely killed or discredited, but only shows up rarely in the X-Books- he fights X-Force and Spider-Man in a crossover between their books (X-Force #3 featured my FAVORITE ART EVER at the time, with Liefeldian imagery of the Juggernaut and his huge, cross-hatched muscles all over the place). They knock over one of the Twin Towers (eerrrrghhh...), barely do any damage to the villain (Shatterstar manages to cut him, but it scarcely slows the guy down), and generally just waste time with a pointless brawl. He later shows up in X-Force again, willingly giving up Black Tom to the authorities, so that they can help cure a fatal disease of his- Juggy shows a bit of character, admitting he'd "always liked Terry (Siryn)- she's a good kid" and that he wouldn't fight in a church. He fights Thor during Acts of Vegeance (leading to the debut of the New Warriors).

The Surest Sign a Villain Is Popular- He Turns Good:
-The decade does, however, feature one of his only "Put Over The New Guy" jobbings, as he is HORRIBLY beaten and thrown across the country by the debuting Onslaught, giving the villain a big "push" immediately. Despite that, he gets to star in a solo story, featuring a bunch of "Exemplars" who are empowered by other Cyttorak-like beings- Cain shows some elements of heroism and courage while he aids the Avengers in stopping these beings. This eventually leads to a real "Face Turn" (the, as Juggy is sent to join the X-Men as a "mole", but joins with them for real after befriending Sammy the Squid-Boy at the school. He reforms, but loses a great deal of his power as a result of turning good (thus displeasing Cyttorak). This run on the book eventually ends, and Juggy pops up in New Excalibur, but eventually turns evil again, in order to use the power-boost against the World War Hulk-era Hulk- he sadly conceds that redemption is impossible for someone like him. Despite that, he joins Luke Cage's Thunderbolts in order to give it another try, AGAIN being de-powered.

-Juggy gains a different look during Fear Itself, as he and other powerhouses gain extra Godly Weapons and a new name. This renders him "Apostate" to Cyttorak, who instead empowers Colossus into stopping him- the resulting brawl between "Colossernaut" and "Kurrth: Breaker of Stones" finally halts Kurrth's destructive rampage, and he is later defeated by Wolverine, using a one-off upgrade of Uru Armor. Cain again rejoins the Thunderbolts (getting re-powered through a portal to a place where a Cain died as the Juggernaut, because comics). During a pretty bad X-Men arc that had some good ideas but failed to deliver (seriously, I collected them from the local shop but took a while to read them and thus didn't cancel it- it wasn't good), he was empowered to the extreme by Cyttorak in order to try something new- create an avatar mighty enough to kill Cyttorak himself.

The Juggernaut As A Whole:
-Despite attempts at reforming him (quite a few, as it seems every writer wants to try it), The Juggernaut continues to be Marvel's Iconic Tough-Guy Villain. The sheer power, presence and awe-inspiring appearance of the guy (despite a simplistic appearance, he's actually very distinct- his enormous physique combined with that "bullet" helmet really give him a distinctive look) makes him very impressive, and gives him a lot of fans. Power Geeks like him, and even those who AREN'T still enjoy the character. It helps that Marvel has never devalued him (despite de-powering him two or three times within a few years, and jobbing him to Onslaught, who in their defense was ungodly powerful), thus he still has a lot of impact as a potential villain. Generally speaking, The Juggernaut is just IMPRESSIVE- every appearance of him still carries the impact of "oh crap, that's The Juggernaut"- the guy can't be stopped, never gets beaten by words, and most heroes have to trick him into leaving the field of battle (Hulks toss him into space, Thors teleport him, and Spidey put him in cement). The man is simply AWESOME, and still carries that impressive aura to this day.

-He also became a bit of an internet meme for his appearance in an edited clip from X-Men: The Animated Series- his original, cartoonishly-grunting appearance being replaced by a more "urban-sounding" individual using street slang, proclaiming "Who am I? I'M THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH!", which got all the way to the third X-Men movie! Though I myself prefer his smarmy-ass "Silly bitch- your weapons can not harm me" line reading.

The Juggernaut's Stats:
-Most Juggy builds on the various Green Ronin websites are much higher in PL than this one (ironically, Taliesin's is among the few that are equal, and his builds were usually a head and shoulders above mine in PL). Juggy's so low here because he's about as easy to hit as a brick wall, and about as accurate in combat- the comics generally reflect this. Think about it: anyone with any intention of getting out of the way usually DOES SO, and Cain never dodges. His whole schtick is that he hits like an atom bomb and just can't be injured (Impervious 13 on a Toughness of eighteen will get the job done- and yes I'm aware that it's not supposed to be allowed under the rules-as-written, but I'm ignoring it as it's pretty accurate that Juggy can't even be hurt by a standard shot from Colossus or The Thing, and anyone at that level needs to Power Attack to even have a CHANCE of hurting Cain), so it's just a matter of time until he wears down his opponent till they can't fight any more. Don't need no damn PL 14 high Melee-accuracy for THAT. That's all you really need to give Spider-Man fits for hours, in addition to fighting off a whole team of X-Men without hardly taking any damage- he basically has nothing to fear from anyone who does less than +9 Damage with their strongest attack- they'd need to Power Attack +5 on a +9 Damage effect to have a hope of even making him take a Toughness test! Plus an array of Strength Feats, Combat Advantages, some Speed, and an Immunity to his one key weaknesses- Mental Attacks against his low-ish Will Save.
-Quite simply: if you fight The Juggernaut, you're in for a long night.

THE JUGGERNAUT (Cain Marko)- De-Powered
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The X-Men #12 (July 1965)
Role: Evil Family Member, Powerhouse, Memetic Invincible Guy
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, The X-Men, New Excalibur, The Exiles (Malibu Comics), The Thunderbolts, The Exemplars
PL 11 (155)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 12 (+12, +14 Size)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Objects) 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Interpose, Last Stand (Ignores All Damage For 1 Round w/ HP Spent), Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2, Ultimate Toughness Save, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
"Possessed of the Gem of Cyttorak"
"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Power-Lifting 3 (3,000 tons) [3]
Impervious Toughness 13 [13]

"Super-Strength Feats"
"Groundstrike" Affliction 11 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (13) -- [15]
  • AE: "Shockwave" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Both Grounded) (11)
  • AE: "Groundstrike Line" Affliction 11 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (13)
"Some Things Can Stop the Juggernaut!"
Enhanced Strength 2 (Flaws: Limited to Maintaining Forward Movement) [2]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Immunity 11 (Life Support, Aging) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Area Attacks +11 (+11 Damage and/or Affliction, DC 26 and/or 21)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +14 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +14, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Cain Marko is an arrogant blowhard, and enjoys being the most powerful individual around. He takes challenges seriously.
Responsibility (Overconfident)- Cain's so tough that he fears nothing, even when he should. People who prove themselves stronger than him (like Onslaught) tend to leave him emotionally broken for a time.
Enemy (Charles Xavier)- Marko bullied Xavier when they were children, and was still hostile to the man at an older age.
Enemy (Thor)- Occasionally, Juggernaut ends up getting tossed-in as a one-off Thor foe, given that he's one of the few regular villains that can take a shot from Mjolnir.
Relationship (Black Tom Cassidy)- Black Tom & The Juggernaut eventually became Heterosexual Life Partners (well... maybe not ENTIRELY...), teaming up in all things. Eventually the two split when Tom went increasingly-crazy, his body mutating into the wood that he used to fire his powers.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 15 (155)

-A de-powered Juggernaut is reduced to some pretty weak stats comparatively, but is still a PL 11 Powerhouse, akin to Sasquatch or Colossus in capability (he once Double-KO'd with 'Squatch). I had to upgrade his physical accuracy to make him that level, which I justify because now that he's weaker and less-durable, he actually has to AIM and AVOID things once in a while. Otherwise he's PL 10 and that's unacceptable.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Re: The Juggernaut, Bitch!

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Juggernaut- A New Era:
-When the Juggernaut returns in Claremont's X-Men, he gains a new facet with his best buddy, Black Tom Cassidy, the under-powered, but sneaky, career criminal and cousin to the X-Men's Banshee. He then appears in an iconic Spider-Man issue in which the completely out-of-his-league Spidey has to fight "The Unstoppable Juggernaut", throwing every damn trick in the book at the villain (who is immune to any damage Spidey can muster), before Peter uses that ol' brain of his and tricks Juggy into walking into a giant pile of setting concrete- it takes the villain over a month to dig his way out, and thus the day is saved.
One of my favorite Spiderman stories ever to the point that I made sure to seek those issues out when I got my Comixology collection going. It takes 2 issues just for Spidey to slow him down. About the only downside is that Madame Web shows up a couple of times.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Jigsaw! Janus! Judge! J.Cutter! The Juggernaut!)

Post by Batgirl III »

This is one of my favorite Juggernaut bits. I'm a big fan of the Juggernaut (even in his heroic days hanging out with Squidboy) and a big fan of Captain Britain. So in Excalibur #3 watching the two of them go at it was a pure joy.

How can you not love a guy who can make "Pleasedtameetcha." sound intimidating?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Jack O'Diamonds

Post by Jabroniville »

JACK O'DIAMONDS (Jack Winters, aka The Living Diamond)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Werner Roth
First Appearance: The X-Men #39 (Dec. 1967)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The X-Humed
PL 7 (119)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+7)
Technology 2 (+5)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Telepathy"
"Telelocation" Senses 4 (Sentient Awareness- Ranged 2, Radius) [4]
Mind Control 7 (28) -- [29]
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Feats: Increased Mass 2) (22)
Immunity 20 (Mental Effects) [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Mind Control -- (+7 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +2

Complications: 
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 8 (119)

-Visually based off of Jack Nicholson is a forgotten villain of the Roy Thomas-era X-Men; a Mutant who gained powers from atomic radiation, thus earning TWO power-sets! In a Retcon of sorts, he tried to brainwash a young Cyclops into helping him commit crimes, but Charles Xavier comes to the rescue, and the two defeat Jack. This is the first meeting of the two heroes, and Scott thus becomes an X-Man. YEARS later, he was turned into a zombie (apparently he was dead) and fought She-Hulk at the bidding of the zombie-controlling Black Talon (CHICKEN HEAD!!!), alongside The Changeling, Harry Leland and Scaleface (of The Tunnellers).

-A forgotten one-off, Jack is no powerhouse, but oddly-versatile- you really don't see a lot of Mutants out there who add MORE powers to themselves via the typical superhuman means. I wonder if Thomas, an old-school Comics Fanboy, came to one of those "Hey, what if...?" conclusions as a young fan, and decided to do a random story about what would happen if the two origins merged together. You don't see a lot of Super-Strong Telepaths, either. His powers are also humorously-similar to Cyclops' bed-mate, Emma Frost.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Jimmy-6

Post by Jabroniville »

JIMMY-6 (Giacomo "James" Fortunato)
Created By:
Howard Mackie & John Romita, Jr.
First Appearance: Spider-Man #70 (May 1996)
Role: Mobster's Good Son
Group Affiliations: The U.S. Army, The Fortunato Crime Family
PL 8 (105)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+6)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Military) 4 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Technology 6 (+9)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages: 
Equipment 3 (Guns +5- Multiattack), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Firearms), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Guns +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (The Kingpin)- Wilson Fisk controls much of the crime in New York City- the Fortunatos often oppose him.
Relationship (Don Fortunato)- Giacomo has an uncomfortable relationship with his father. He initially wanted out of the family business, and was hunted by his father's minions. Much later, they reconciled.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (105)

-Jimmy-6 was one of a handful of characters created during the "Ben Reilly" era of the Spider-books. He is the son of Don Fortunato, the man who filled the void left by the Kingpin when he left New York. Jimmy disapproves of his father's lifestyle and wanted out of the "family business", which had him marked for death. He & Reilly (as Spider-Man) save each other's lives a couple of times. He later kills some men with a helicopter when the Don plans on executing random civilians from all the Five Boroughs of New York (as a message to anyone about what would happen in case of disobedience), saving Spidey & Daredevil in the process.

-Jimmy had a hit put out on him, but was saved by The Punisher & Shotgun. He later takes over the family when the Don is hospitalized, and aids Spider-Man (this time, Peter Parker is wearing the costume). Jimmy hasn't been seen in years, but it's been confirmed that he and his father have made peace with each other, despite the death of Jimmy's brother Albert (who died at the hands of the Venom Symbiote, after his father bought it for him).

-Jimmy-6 is depicted as a gigantic, well-built man, and is pretty much near the peak of where "regular guys" are in terms of physical capabilities- only the supreme martial artists tend to be higher unarmed. Between his military past and crime-related career, he's a very well-rounded character with a lot of options. As a fighter, he's merely "pretty good", being PL 7 offensively, PL 8 defensively. Not enough to challenge a superhero, but enough to help one out.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.