Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Don Fortunato

Post by Jabroniville »

DON FORTUNATO (Vincente Fortunato)
Created By:
Howard Mackie & John Romita, Jr.
First Appearance: Spider-Man #70 (May 1996)
Role: Elite Mobster
Group Affiliations: The Fortunato Crime Family
PL 2 (53), PL 3 (53) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 1 (+4)
Persuasion 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Wealth & Status), Connected, Contacts

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+0 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (The Kingpin)- Wilson Fisk controls much of the crime in New York City- the Fortunatos often oppose him.
Relationship (Jimmy-6)- Giacomo has an uncomfortable relationship with his father. He initially wanted out of the family business, and was hunted by his father's minions. Much later, they reconciled.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (53)

-The Don is a pretty generic "Crime Boss" character, but got to stick around by virtue of having a supporting cast around him, including his "disloyal" son Jimmy-6. He works with the Maggia & HYDRA against the Kingpin, temporarily replacing Wilson Fisk thanks to his powerful backers. Fortunato is eventually rendered comatose at the hands of the villain Nitro (on orders from Fisk, who has returned), leaving Jimmy in charge. Much later, he buys the Venom Symbiote for his wimpy, weak son Angelo, only for the Symbiote to reject him in mid-leap due to said weakness, leaving the boy to fall to his death. Fortunato still appears occasionally, usually when a Non-Supervillain "Mob Boss" is needed. Given that he's from the "Reilly Years" of the Spider-Books, I'm a little shocked they never just casually offed him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Jigsaw! Janus! Judge! J.Cutter! The Juggernaut!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Wow, check it out- a LONG-FORM explanation from all sides on the "Hank Pym/Wifebeater" thing: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/04/01 ... sp-beater/

Fascinating. Shooter's is classically "well it's not all my fault/kinda it's my fault", which is how he describes everything bad that happened involving him. Bob Hall straight-up admits to his own wrongdoing in drawing the slap the way it comes off. Reading the dialogue comes off as boorish and assholish as anything- that's on Shooter.

Tom Brevoort makes the same point I did- that The Slap is invincible in the character's history, because it remains the most notable thing that's ever happened to him. He even points out that he ATTEMPTED to move past it, but failed. And that everyone since has failed.
For example, we’ve spent years trying, but the audience will not forgive Hank Pym for striking the Wasp. That’s the moment in that character’s history that looms the largest and probably will forever. And when they did the Ultimate version of Hank Pym, that’s what they went right to. That’s what people think of when they think of that character — he’s a guy that grows and hits his wife. And no matter how many times creators have tried to redeem the character and put him back on a noble, heroic path and have him express his sorrow and express how he and Jan have moved on past that moment — and quite honestly, most of the people who dislike these attempts haven’t even read that story or understood that moment within the context of the original story, which was “Hank is having a nervous breakdown and is not in his right mind” — that became what the character is about. And part of that is because that was the most interesting thing that had ever happened to that character, and so that really cemented it. Any number of creative teams since then have struggle mightily trying to get that moment to be overcome, including myself, and nobody’s been able to outperform the gravity of it. But that’s sort of the rare exception. Most everything else is fixable. But that rule’s not quite absolute.
proditor

Post by proditor »

The thing I find interesting about the whole Hank Pym redemption arc, is they obviously just gave up on it as some point. I mean, they had a clear cut chance to divorce themselves from it with the Skrull storyline, and Hank's all "Nope, totally me, I beat the stuffin' out of her cuz I was sick" and while on the one hand, it's admirable not to just push it away and sweep it under the rug, the other hand says if this is really not supposed to be part of his character, they just missed a really good chance to change the perception.

Of course the whole "Scientist Supreme" thing that followed arguably didn't help cement the character as anything other than a delusional lunatic.

Is it just me, or do growing types have a hard road in the comics industry?
Ken

Post by Ken »

I thought it was shrinking types.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
proditor

Post by proditor »

Well, and admittedly this is just based on my own observations, they all suffer from Worf/Wolverine syndrome. Need to show how bad ass your new creation is, have them knock out the growing dude/dudette. Colossal Boy, Giant-Man, Stature, Goliath, Giant, Giganta, they all tend to get the rough and tumble treatment, and they also tend to suffer more in the outcomes department.

Giant-man (Bill Foster - Killed by Clor)
Hank Pym - No explanation needed.
Stature - Vote is still out, they punk killed her, but she got better.
Giant - BBQ'd by DEMON
Colossal Boy - Also a mixed bag, died to the Emerald Eye, but still has fared better overall than anyone named "Karate Kid".
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Growing guys face the same problem as regenerating guys and tough guys, namely that they get hit by the Worf Effect where they get taken out more often just to show how serious things are (and of course, regenerating guys apparently get really bad at dodging).
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:55 pm Growing guys face the same problem as regenerating guys and tough guys, namely that they get hit by the Worf Effect where they get taken out more often just to show how serious things are (and of course, regenerating guys apparently get really bad at dodging).
Regarding Wolverine, I think I remember Spider-Man once saying to him something along the lines of 'Sometimes I think you take the hit just so you've got an excuse' which earned a sly smirk from Logan. Also I'd say that Logan uses his body as a shield, drawing enemy fire away from his teammates.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Goldar

Re: Jack O'Diamonds

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:42 am Image

JACK O'DIAMONDS (Jack Winters, aka The Living Diamond)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Werner Roth
First Appearance: The X-Men #39 (Dec. 1967)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: The X-Humed
PL 7 (101)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+7)
Technology 2 (+5)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Telepathy"
"Telelocation" Senses 4 (Sentient Awareness- Ranged 2, Radius) [4]
Mind Control 7 (28) -- [29]
  • AE: Teleport 10 (Feats: Increased Mass 2) (22)
Enhanced Will Save 4 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Telepathic Attacks) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Mind Control -- (+7 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +2

Complications: 
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 8 (101)

-Visually based off of Jack Nicholson is a forgotten villain of the Roy Thomas-era X-Men; a Mutant who gained powers from atomic radiation, thus earning TWO power-sets! In a Retcon of sorts, he tried to brainwash a young Cyclops into helping him commit crimes, but Charles Xavier comes to the rescue, and the two defeat Jack. This is the first meeting of the two heroes, and Scott thus becomes an X-Man. YEARS later, he was turned into a zombie (apparently he was dead) and fought She-Hulk at the bidding of the zombie-controlling Black Talon (CHICKEN HEAD!!!), alongside The Changeling, Harry Leland and Scaleface (of The Tunnellers).

-A forgotten one-off, Jack is no powerhouse, but oddly-versatile- you really don't see a lot of Mutants out there who add MORE powers to themselves via the typical superhuman means. I wonder if Thomas, an old-school Comics Fanboy, came to one of those "Hey, what if...?" conclusions as a young fan, and decided to do a random story about what would happen if the two origins merged together. You don't see a lot of Super-Strong Telepaths, either. His powers are also humorously-similar to Cyclops' bed-mate, Emma Frost.
Hey!! I just got done reading the original story of this guy!

He actually held off the Professor's mental bolts and was trying to do Charlie some mental damage at the same time. The prof was scared! He only survived because his TP was able to deflect a thrown I-beam from hitting him and then a building collapsing on him. That was back when telepathy could do those things! :roll:

When Jack further mutated himself into the Living Diamond, he was impervious to Xavier's mental bolts, as stated by Xavier.

Years later, a writer remembering or rereading this story, gave those same powers, and proof against telepathy to one Emma Frost. Note the last name similarity as well---"Winters" and "Frost".

Years ago, I had heard the writers had Winters totally destroyed at the end because he was too powerful. Go figure! :roll:
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I think most of my experiece of Jack O'Diamonds was via fanfiction... was he immune to Cyclops's attacks (beams refracted through the diamond) or just resistant?
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I just looked it up for you in the story, Fuzzy.

While Jack said "Uhhhn" after getting hit with a close eye blast and said it pushed him back, he really did not move, until Scott kept blasting him. Then, he was in the ground a few feet away, but awake. Scott mentions something happened to his optic blast. But I don't see anything more about them.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

{nods} Given Cyclops's powers keep varying on how they work (hard light, beams of force, otherdimensional energy shunted through a portal in front of his eyes, etc), you wouldn't think Diamond would be all that resistant, but if he was more-or-less able to no-sell it, it might worth an Immunity 1 (Specific person's powers). Although... who's usually resistant to Cyclops's attacks? Why, mutants of the Summers family! I think we found the real third Summers brother!
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

In-story, Jack of Diamonds was the first Telepath and evil mutant Xavier had met. This was later retconned away with Amahl Farouk.
Jabroniville

Joystick

Post by Jabroniville »

JOYSTICK (Janice Olivia Yanizeski)
Created By:
Tom DeFalco & Mark Bagley
First Appearance: The Amazing Scarlet Spider #2 (Dec. 1995)
Role: Thrill-Seeker, Unsung Villain
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, The Thunderbolts
PL 10 (146)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 8
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+2)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Evasion, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Baton Smash), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 6, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Enhanced Physique"
Power-Lifting 2 (12 tons) [2]
Speed 6 (120 mph) [6]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Energy Batons- Self-Generated"
"Connected-Baton Blast" Blast 9 (18) -- [19]
  • AE: "Smash" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Ranged 8) (Diminished Range -1) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Batons +11 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Baton Blast +8 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Thrills)- Janice is flat-out nuts, and enjoys combat for it's own sake. If her life isn't in danger, she really doesn't feel it. She's a hedonist, plain and simple. This often leads her to severe acts of pride or foolishness.
Obsession (Always Having a Card)- Janice learned this lesson from her deadbeat gambler father, and she took it to heart. She will not allow others to hold things over her, and she always looks out for number one.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 11 (146)

-Joystick is an interesting '90s villain, created mainly to brawl with the Ben Reilly Spider-Man, having equivalent physical stats to Spidey in nearly every way, in addition to Energy Batons as a melee & blasting weapon. Once the Reilly experiment was dead and buried, she got shifted to Bagley's new book, Thunderbolts, and was there for a while before having a falling-out. She was in the updated T-Bolts series as well, and seemed to gain powers over time, but is still a pretty minor D-League villain. Honestly, having collected some of the pre-Osborn run of T-Bolts, I started loving the crap out of this girl, though. A complete and utter hedonist, she had a crappy childhood, but reacted by becoming a thrill-seeking vigilante, and her bad girl antics are really entertaining on any book she's on. There's a lot of "Slut" villains out there for many reasons, but few are this funny with their blatant selfishness.

-This is an odd character to stat up, as she fights like a minor-league Spider-Man, possessing most of his Strength, Speed & Agility, alongside her Batons (which are either Thrown Damage or a Blast, in addition to a melee weapon). She's a defense-oriented build, but only at PL 9, and she's quite well-balanced. She tends to do better or worse at complete random, though, making her tough to really "figure out" Power Level-wise. One second, she's getting the LIVING CRAP beaten out of her by Spider-Woman- Joystick never went down, taking a metric ton of punches, but Jessica Drew was never even in the most remote bit of damage- and she's really only worthy of being PL 10), and the next she's neutering Speed Demon, himself a very effective PL 10 Speedster on Quicksilver's level, by stopping all his best shots and then breaking his legs. I think PL 9.5 works best- she can modify almost all of her caps very effectively, hitting hard when she needs to, and she's REALLY hard to hit. She just has a few more steps to go before she's a full-on PL 10.

-Note that her Energy Batons used to be a Device, but now exist as a natural part of her body.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:35 pm {nods} Given Cyclops's powers keep varying on how they work (hard light, beams of force, otherdimensional energy shunted through a portal in front of his eyes, etc), you wouldn't think Diamond would be all that resistant, but if he was more-or-less able to no-sell it, it might worth an Immunity 1 (Specific person's powers). Although... who's usually resistant to Cyclops's attacks? Why, mutants of the Summers family! I think we found the real third Summers brother!
The original explanation for the Havok and Cyclops mural immunity was sooo much simpler: Scott absorbed solar energy and output kinetic energy; Alex absorbed kinetic energy as output solar energy. This was far too easy to last long in comics...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Did the Living Diamond go to Tailand, get the operation and come back as Emma Frost? I mean, Diamond body and telepathy...
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.