Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

April O'Neil (1980s)

Post by Jabroniville »

April's a determined TV news journalist, always prepared for the late breaking news feature with her camcorder strapped 'round her arm. Her eagerness, however, gets her into trouble and makes her a big pain in the shell for the Turtles, who always end up saving the damsel in distress.

Still, April's no air head and is a valuable member of the Turtle Team. Being a pretty human has its advantages, like getting into places the Turtles can't. When the situation calls for more than a news flash, April's ready with a trusty gun, which is secretly locked in her camcorder.

APRIL O'NEIL- 1987 Cartoon
Role:
The Human Buddy, Kidnap Victim
Played By: Renae Jacobs
Group Affiliations: Channel 6
PL 2 (35), PL 4 (35) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 3 (+3)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (News Reporter) 6 (+8)
Insight 1 (+3)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Perception 1 (+3)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment (Camcorder)

Radical Equipment:
"Camcorder" (1)

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +1, Will +6

Bummer Complications:
Motivation ("This is the Story of the CENTURY!")- April is always seeking out the latest "Hot Scoop", and this puts her in endless amounts of trouble.
Responsibility (Frequent Kidnap Victim)- April is pretty commonly kidnapped, tied up, gagged, mutated, strapped to deathtraps, or unshoed and has her feet tickled. You'd think the writers had a COMPLEX or something.
Rivalry (Vernon & Burne)- Vernon is a power-hungry wimp out for April's position, and Burne is her loudmouthed, angry boss.
Relationship (The Ninja Turtles)- April is very close with her Turtle pals, and constantly defends them to her boss and others.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (35)

-The '87 Toon's version of April, which informed the Archie & Movie versions, shifted a HUGE amount of stuff about the character- she was again a victim saved by the TMNT, becoming their "Human Buddy" and link to the world outside the sewers, but nearly every aspect of her was changed, and most subsequent versions have scaled back a number of those changes, leaving this one a huge outlier. For startes, she was translated into a chesty redhead for the cartoon. And MAN was that something I glossed over when I was a kid- I was just all "Gee, she's pretttyyyyyy..." when I was seven or whatever, but watching the show as an adult, I was like "!!! -- I never noticed THAT!!" Head writer/creator David Wise based her signature hair and bright yellow jumpsuit off of Fujiko Mine's garb in The Castle of Cagliostro, the famous Lupin III movie. April's also 28 years old (much older than most "Human Buddy" characters, who tend to be teenagers, or sexy early-20s women), and acts ludicrously vain and image-centred. Almost like a parody of how young boys see women (the way Elliot on Scrubs is an exaggeration of how ADULT men see women).

-April is also changed from a lab assistant to a TV reporter for "Channel 6", usually running around with a hand-cam or something as she looks for a "hot scoop" or "The story of the CENTURY!", thus necessitating her getting into even more trouble and having to be saved (this is probably WHY she was given that job, in fact). As she's generally nosy and overly-curious, she gets kidnapped a LOT. Seriously, to a ridiculous, Lampshade-Hanging extent- it's joked about within the series, within the fandom, and gets mentioned on Turtles Forever. "April Being Bound & Gagged" is practically a meme in the series, and it's amazing I didn't come out of my childhood with a Bondage Feti-- hey, wait a second...

-Notably, this is one of the only Aprils not to be paired off romantically with Casey Jones, nor become a badass fighter in her own right. "April Gets Mutated" was used as a plot device numerous times, with her becoming a cat-woman, fish-woman and giant wasp. In the latter-day "Red Sky" seasons, she leaves Channel 6 and works freelance for unknown reasons, and even distances herself from the boys, desiring to stop adventuring and get her life back on track.

-April is a sub-optimal fighter, but a decent reporter & investigator, which kind of pays off when allied with the Turtles.

Other April Toys: April (New Design), April the Ninja Newscaster, April the Ravishing Reporter (looks like an undercover prostitute. No really), Movie III April, Green Repaint w/ Channel 6 News Van, Mutatin' April (... into a CHEETAH?), Cave Woman April & Her Radical Raptor, Bride of Frankenstein April, Shogun April
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat May 08, 2021 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Vehicles! The Technodrome! Scratch! April O'Neil!)

Post by MacynSnow »

When i regularly watched cartoon's, we never knew the whole concepts of "Waifu's", just that we thought certain female characters were "Prettyyyy....".
My first "Movie Waifu(s)" will always & forevermore be the Tiny Princesses from Mothra, but April was my second Cartoon Crush(OG Cover Girl from G.I.Joe RAH:M.A.S.S.Device was my First). She was a Suprisingly effective TV Reporter, i'm shocked Burne let her go tbh....
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I assume the Mutatin' April toy is a reference to that one episode in the 80s cartoon where she got mutated into a catwoman.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

I still have my original April action figure, complete, the one that's packing a piece.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

April O’Neil (2003)

Post by Jabroniville »

That shirt is a dead giveaway to the era, lol.

APRIL O'NEIL- 2003 Cartoon
Role:
The Human Buddy
Played By: Veronica Taylor
Group Affiliations: N/A
PL 6 (62)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 7 (+8)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+10)
Insight 1 (+3)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Perception 1 (+3)
Technology 4 (+8)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment (Katana)

Radical Equipment:
"Katana" Damage +3 (Improved Critical)

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Katana +7 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Bummer Complications:
Relationship (Casey Jones)- Despite Casey being a simple-minded vigilante, April falls for his kindness and honesty.
Relationship (The Ninja Turtles)- April is very close with her Turtle pals, and constantly defends them to others.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (62)

-The 2003 version of April was more like the Mirage villain in character, but kept the red hair, which had by this point become iconic. Wearing a very "2003" outfit consisting of a belly shirt and baggy khaki pants (like holy shit, this is the most dated aspect of the show now!), she is back as Baxter Stockman's lab assistant and is now smarter and more capable. She also falls in love with her polar opposite- the slow-witted, brutish Casey Jones.

-April is a fairly decent fighter (enough to beat Mooks) and fairly smart in this version of the character.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

By the time of the battle with the Demon Shredder, April had pretty much become the TMNT version of Oracle, being the best hacker in the setting, doing coordination stuff from the base, but still being a solid fighter.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:24 am By the time of the battle with the Demon Shredder, April had pretty much become the TMNT version of Oracle, being the best hacker in the setting, doing coordination stuff from the base, but still being a solid fighter.
'03 April(in my Headcannon, her dead mom had 80's April look and Yellow jumpsuit. :lol:) was a solid Fighter like you said and as a direct result barely got kidnapped. And in the Future, her (great?) grandson invents TIME-TRAVEL... :shock:
Jabroniville

April O'Neil (Nickelodeon)

Post by Jabroniville »

APRIL O'NEIL- 2012 Nick Cartoon
Role:
The Human Buddy
Played By: Mae Whitman
Group Affiliations: N/A
PL 7 (82)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+3)
Insight 5 (+7)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Perception 1 (+3)
Technology 3 (+4)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment (Fan), Ranged Attack 6

Radical Equipment:
"Fan" Damage +1 (Improved Disarm)

Tubular Powers:
"Kraang Experimentations"
"Astral Projection" Remote Sensing 6 (Vision & Hearing) (18) -- [23]
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 5 (10)
  • AE: TK Blast 6 (Feats: Extra Knockback) (13)
  • AE: TK Flight 4 (30 mph) (8)
  • AE: "Telepathy" Communication 3 (Mental) (6)
  • AE: Mental Blast 4 (16)
Senses 2 (Mental Detection- Ranged) [2]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Fan +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
TK Blast +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Mental Blast -- (+4 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Bummer Complications:
Relationship (The Ninja Turtles)- April is very close with her Turtle pals, and constantly defends them to others. Except the time she found out if was their fault her dad was mutated.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 9 (82)

-Now voiced by Katara & Tinker Bell's VA, April O'Neil is now the same age as the TMNT themselves, more of a sister than a "Team Mom". A very young-looking, temperamental kid, she is crushed on by Donatello, loses her father to mutation, and more. She has some lower-grade Mental Powers as a result of the Kraang's experiments on her mother, but I don't even remember that so that's all Wiki-built.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun May 02, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

April O'Neil (Other Versions)

Post by Jabroniville »

OTHER APRILS:
-April differs wildly from version to version- the Mirage Comics version looks of mixed race at times, and marries Casey Jones. Shockingly, she turns out to be infertile... because she's a LIVING DRAWING, her artist father magically "inking" her into existence. Okay that's just weird. The Archie Comics version had exceptionally long hair and was the first version to become a fighter, wielding a katana at times. She was paired off romantically with the dragon-man Hothead.

RISE OF THE TMNT APRIL:
-This version of April is the first definitely-black April, now joining the hilariously-huge amount of red-haired characters who have been turned black in adaptations. I have no idea why it's the redheads in particular, but HOLY HELL. Well, at least the earliest version is ambiguous so could be anything. This new design is arguably the most generic, as "Black Girl With Glasses & Twin Buns" is now an increasingly-common visual archetype for "Fun Sassy Smart Girl" to the point of becoming a cliche. SPEAING OF CLICHES, she is now the feisty, high-spirited and loud character, which goes into how THAT has become the new cliche for female characters in cartoons. It's a recent modification of the "Smurfette Principal" where the One Chick who is boring and plain has shifted into being like Mabel Pine from Gravity Falls and sooooooooo many other female characters (Webby from DuckTales is a known recent one). Like, countering old standards of making the girl character boring and do-nothing, they've turned into loud nutjobs for LOLZ.

So um, in short, this character seems to be the most corporate-mandated, generic, thoughtless, "Well this is what's popular, SOOOOO..." character in the damn cartoon. At least from reading the Wiki entry, so don't quote me, lol. This April uses a magically-powered baseball bat and has a running gag where she has a new job every episode.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:59 pm I assume the Mutatin' April toy is a reference to that one episode in the 80s cartoon where she got mutated into a catwoman.
INDEED!: https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Mut ... on_figure)
Jabroniville

Irma Langenstein

Post by Jabroniville »

Channel 6 is on the air - and Irma's on the hunt for news. She may be April's best friend, but she's out to scoop her if she can. Nothing can stop Irma from her job, not even the fact that she's not very smart. But this drawn up ding-a-ling does know the tools of her Toon trade, just look at these babies: One lap top computer, capable of locating the hottest news in the city. A press pass, one flash and she's in. Two curler grenades, these are perfect for when the press pass doesn't work. And if Irma gets too close to a story or a story gets too close to Irma she whips out her all purpose hairspray gun and lets 'em have it. All this fits into her punk-poundin' purse, plus nine candy bars, four scoops of triple dip ice cream, three romance novels and cab fare. So beware newsmakers of the world, Irma's on the job and on the streets!

IRMA LANGENSTEIN
Role:
Designated Ugly Friend, Man-Hungry Loser, Exposition Repository
Played By: Jennifer Darling
PL 1 (11), PL 2 (11) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Bodacious Skills:
Deception 4 (+3)
Expertise (Secretary) 4 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)

Gnarly Advantages:
None

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +3

Bummer Complications:
Relationship (April O'Neil)- The two appear to be best friends.
Addiction (Men)- Irma is relentlessly man-hungry, mooning over any available man she sees, and even lowering herself to mutants. Her immediate response to hearing about any male is "find out if he's single!"
Accident (Clumsy)- Irma tends to stand on people's feet.

Total: Abilities: 2 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 4 (11)

-Irma is April's man-hungry loser of a best friend in the show- intially, she's largely used as somebody for April to talk to ABOUT the Turtles, and the only other "good guy" among the Channel 6 staff (which consists of about four people). A CLASSIC "Loser" character, she dresses sloppily and looks a bit unkempt (and more than a bit like Jeanette of The Chipettes- not really a coincidence, given the same animation studio worked on both this show and the '80s Alvin & The Chipmunks series), and is always asking about the availability of male characters. She even has an "Unattractive Name", a classically ancient-sounding "Irma", along with a vaguely Jewish-sounding last name that seems like more of a collection of syllables attached to a "Stein"- you probably couldn't get away with that today (though it turns out this was never used in any 1987 materials at all, and is either a fan invention or something they just threw in later). Nowadays, the character would almost certainly be a Sexy Nerd. Though she's not really drawn with an ugly face or bad body in the show, there's not a lot to really drool over.

-Irma is initially there to hang out with April, though she meets the TMNT fairly quickly, and gets along with them to an extent, though at times she's a huge hindrance, as she's accident-prone and pretty dumb in addition to being desperate and weird. She ones gets roped into helping Donatello attend a scientist's convention because his invitation read "Ms. Donna Tello", and grows to giant size in a later episode (man, they had GIANTESSES and they wasted it on IRMA?).

-The 2012 Nick Toon had a funny use for the character, maing her April's Daria-esque snide, thick-rimmed-glasses-wearing friend... who turns out to be an android controlled by Kraang Subprime to investigate April. Several more Irma droids are seen, and another time we meet their creator, Rook, who looks like them. She was voiced by Kate "Hottest Weird-Looking Girl in the World" Micucci, around the time every voice acting director in the world decided she needed to be in their show.

-Irma's unlikely to win a fight except by accident, but her official toy (which came fairly late in the run- I'd never even HEARD of such a thing until my adulthood) has "Curler Grenades".
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

As far as I can remember the 2003 version of April was a good fighter (and an even better hacker), but she never carried any weapon. Usually, she went barehanded or borrowed any weapon close at hand (including some of Casey's baseball bats). The biggest problem with that particular incarnation was that she kind of become a backgrounder around season 4 as the show really started to go bonkers with its source material and the supporting cast really came close to the critical mass with the Ninja Tribunalarc.
She and Casey came back to forefront with Season 7 (Back to the Sewers), as the supporting cast shrunk down to a more manageable size, especially with the hilarious show finale, i.e. the wedding.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Vernon Fenwick

Post by Jabroniville »

When the action hits the fan and the streets are ablaze with hard-hitting news, you can always find Vernon right there - right under his desk in the Channel 6 newsroom. He's a colorful coward who knows all fears. The only thing that gets this rascally reporter going is trying to scoop April on a news story. But even weasels are ready for trouble. And that's why Vernon carries a pencil knife to poke and probe the foolish Foot Clan. And when a good pointy swipe isn't enough, Vernon pulls out his video camera gun and starts mowin' down madmen! After the streets have cleared of action, Vernon loves to direct the news crew and shoot his own story - in the foot!

VERNON FENWICK
Role:
The Rival (to April), The Coward, The Whiner
Played By: Pat Fraley
PL 0 (1)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA -1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Bodacious Skills:
Expertise (Reporter) 2 (+2)
Investigation 2 (+2)
Perception 2 (+2)
Stealth 2 (+2)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment (Reporter Stuff)

Tubular Powers:
Speed 2 (8 mph) (Flaws: Limited to When Fleeing) [1]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +0

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness -1, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Bummer Complications:
Motivation (Ambition)- Vernon desperately wants to supplant April O'Neil as Channel 6's top reporter.
Responsibility (Incompetent)
Responsibility (Wimp)
Responsibility (Extremely Ticklish)- He does not last long under Don Turtelli's "Foot Tickling" torture.
Responsibility (Stupid)

Total: Abilities: -6 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 1 (1)

-Vernon was one of the wimpiest, most pathetic characters in the history of television. Created to be a work-rival for April O'Neil, Vernon had a spindly body, a giant nose, and a nasal, whiny-ass voice. Basically a scheming douchebag, Vernon was also a giant coward and incompetent at his job. Generally speaking, he would try to "scoop" his co-worker, and would occasionally conspire with Burne (who didn't like ANY of his employees) towards the same means. Even on the rare occasions when he does something semi-competent or courageous (such as filming the brawl between Leatherhead and the Rat King), his pride and stupidity become his undoing- he leaves the CAP ON. The classic "stupid cameraman" trick... though hilariously, one of my would-be photographer friends did that on a zoo trip one time. We had to backtrack all over the place!

-Vernon & Burne were actually a very big part of the cartoon- having some human cast-members was kind of a necessity for any show about superheroes or mutants or whatever, and they were pretty good foils. It was always amusing to see them humiliated. Apparently over time, he became a somewhat more friendly character, though I never saw it. Amazingly, in 1992, Vernon, Burne & Irma all received ACTION FIGURE releases! This was a pretty good sign the series was getting a bit long of tooth (five years in). The figures are hilariously-short on good equipment or any kind of sell-able features, but they're a completist's dream.

-Aside from a "Vernon Prindle" in the Archie Comics continuity, Vernon appeared in no other version of TMNT continuity, despite the 2012 series being a huge homage to all the others... except he was in the 2014 Paramount movie series, played by Will Arnett! Here, he was incompetent but actually courageous.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Gotta love the sillyness of how even the non-combatant characters get weapons on their toys.
Jabroniville

Burne Thompson

Post by Jabroniville »

BURNE THOMPSON
Role:
Belligerent Boss
Played By: Pat Fraley
PL 1 (13)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Bodacious Skills:
Expertise (Reporter) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+4)

Gnarly Advantages:
Benefit (Wealth)

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +1

Bummer Complications:
Temper- Burne is constantly angry.
Relationship (Tiffany)- Burne dotes on his blonde bimbo of a girlfriend, but frequently angers her when his promises amount to nothing.
Rivalry (The Ninja Turtles)- Burne hates the Turtles, both because Tiffany is terrapinophobic, and because they've been part of some damage to the Channel 6 building. He openly criticizes them in the media.

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 0 (13)

-God as my witness, I have spent my entire life thinking this guy's name was VERNE. I always thought it was "Vernon & Verne", like a comedy duo with gimmick names or something! Why ELSE would their names be so similar!? Did anyone else think that, or was I just a deaf kid?

-Burne was a classic "Bad Boss"- a J. Jonah Jameson-like figure that trashed the heroes in the public, bossed around his subordinates (especially April or Vernon, who were CONSTANTLY one step away from being fired or being Fred Flintstoned), or pleading with his bimbo-ass girlfriend Tiffany (who calls him "BURNES-Y!" while filing her nails and popping gum) not to dump him. Nothing resembling an athlete, he appears to be at least somewhat-competent at his job. Hell, he runs an entire news network with only FOUR PEOPLE IN THE BUILDING. Dude must have SOME skills!
-Burne actually appears in cameos in other continuities- he's in the Archie one, the IDW one, and is played by Whoopi Goldberg in a pair of scenes in the 2014 movie (as "Bernadette Thompson"), but all of these are minor cameos.

-Burne is... not really that great at anything, despite running a very short-staffed news station. He's not even particularly persuasive or anything.