Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Utroms

Post by Jabroniville »

THE UTROMS:
-The Utroms remain a bizarre thing in TMNT history, in that they're part of the Mirage comics, but were so completely altered by the 1987 cartoon series than they're unrecognizable to most of the old-time fans, who've never seen the "legit" aliens before. They're an alien race that resemble living brains, but the cartoon shifted them into being a singular guy named Krang, explicitly a guy who wass arrested and exiled, losing his body in the process. And because Krang was so amazing in that show, I always associate the Utroms as being something boring and dumb by contrast- just a generic "Ally Alien" race. Every other version just looks SO, SO DULL in comparison to Pat Fraley's squawking old whiner.

The Utroms appeared in Mirage as a group of benevolent aliens in the Mirage Comics, and they are tied to the origin story of the Turtles and Splinter- they were stranded on Earth and founded T.C.R.I. (Techno-Cosmic Research Institute), where they created the Mutagen that led to the original mutation. The Turtles, investigating the origins of the Mutagen, found alien brains hiding out in robotic exoskeletons, and a brawl ensued- the Utroms accidentally teleported them to the far end of the universe, setting off the Fugitoid/Triceraton story arc and turning TMNT into a Space Adventure book, before bringing the boys back. The Utroms were revealed to be benevolent and eventually left Earth. A handful of evil or grey-moralled ones have since been seen, but most were good guys.

In the 1987 Cartoon, the whole "Brain-Shaped Aliens" thing is converted into being the singular villain Krang. The TCRI origin story is included in the 1990 films, but nothing is shown of their alien nature (a deleted/unshot scene includes the main doctor being revealed as an alien by movie's end). In the 2003 Cartoon, the original Mirage version is introduced to a mainstream audience. They have been exiled on Earth for centuries, but an evil member of their race adopted the identity of the Shredder. Eventually, the Utroms returned home.

The 2012 Nick Toon uses them once more, but now Kraang is one of their number, having enslaved numerous other Utroms to his will, acting as major antagonists in the series. They are called "The Kraang" and refer to thesmelves in the third person with a bizarre speech pattern- Kraang Prime tries to conquer the universe, but it stopped by the Turtles. In Rise of the TMNT, they are "The Krang", and are a menacing race who gave Oroku Saki his armor centuries ago. The IDW Comics make Utroms a warlike race of aliens, and Krang is the son of their warlord.
Jabroniville

Krang (Overview)

Post by Jabroniville »

KRANG:
-Krang is a modification of the Utrom race, and appears in a few later renditions of the canon- mostly those inspired by the Turtles at their most popular. Krang is one of the two Big Bads of the 1987 animated series, and he appears in the concurrent Archie Comics in a similar role. He is quickly exiled to Morbus, the prison world, forming a bad guy group with Slash, Bellybomb, Rocksteady & Bebop. He is revealed to have been behind the destruction of Wingnut & Screwloose's homeworld, and at one point took over the Shredder by placing himself atop the man's head.

In the 2012 Nick Toon, the Utroms end up being called "The Kraang" after a Kraang Prime takes over their people, turning most of them into drone copies of himself. He has mutated into gigantic size (his brain-like body is over ten feet tall) and he has psychic powers. His intentions are to terraform the Earth as a suitable habitat for his armies, but he needs April's unique psionic energies to do this, and the Turtles free her. He gets into a massive android body, but is exiled back to Dimension X. He attempts multiple invasions, and finally takes over New York, only to see it (and Earth) destroyed by the Triceratons, who kill Kraang Prime. He never reappears, despite time changing, as he was killed before the "Heart of Darkness" destroyed the world.

Krang appears in the IDW Comics as one of the few active Utroms- they are a warlike, conquering race, and Krang is the son of their ruler, Quanin. Using deception and cruelty, he finally wins his father's respect- however, Quanin died trying to expand the empire, and the Utroms were in danger of extinction. Krang decided to save them by terraforming Earth using the Technodrome. He remained on Earth for centuries, biding his time, and allied with the Shredder a few times, but eventually went to war with him. His ally Baxter Stockman turned on him, and he was finally arrested. Feeling guilty, a rival King (who'd engaged in dark actions himself) let him live in exile, but Leatherhead, a former slave, attacked and ate Krang alive. However, the villain reappears in Leatherhead's stomach (reflecting the Android Body of the '80s stuff)- Utroms, it turns out, are parasitic.

Krang finally made his movie debut in the Paramount movie sequel, appearing as a disgusting, drooling monster voiced by Brad Garrett. He attempts to build a device to help his army invade Earth, and promptly betrays Shredder soon after allying with him.
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Man Ray! Casey Jones! Utroms! Krang!)

Post by Skavenger »

What's strange about Krang was just how terrifying he was supposed to be, but he couldn't ever defeat four turtles in the 87s series. He kept reiterating that (insert appropriate gurgles and belches when necessary) "In Dimension X I am supreme." We see and hear of the worlds he ravaged with his troops, but still couldn't handle four teenagers? If you look at any regular comic book universe, what you just described would be Kang the Conqueror or Annihilus being taken out by Generation X. Without Monet.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The 2012 Nick series also claimed that 87 Krang had originally been from that dimension but was banished for his incompetence. Which is kinda funny.
Jabroniville

Krang (1980s)

Post by Jabroniville »

KRANG
Role:
The Big Bad, Scheming Warlord
Played By: Pat Fraley
Group Affiliations: Dimension X
PL 10 (205), PL 12 (205) Giant Size
STRENGTH
-3/8/14 STAMINA 0 AGILITY -2/0
FIGHTING 0/10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Bodacious Skills:
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 7 (+15)
Expertise (Warlord) 3 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+4, +8 Suit, +16 Giant Size)
Perception 2 (+5)
Technology 8 (+16)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Gnarly Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Jack-of-All-Trades, Inventor, Ranged Attack 8, Startle

Tubular Powers:
"Android Body" (Flaws: Removable) [65]
Enhanced Strength 11 (22)
Enhanced Agility 2 (4)
Enhanced Fighting 9 (18)
Protection 11 (11)
Enhanced Skills 6: Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12), Intimidation 4 (+8) (3)
Enhanced Advantages 1: Close Attack (1)
Enhanced Dodge 9 (9)

"Multiple Blades" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 10) (12) -- (13)
  • AE: Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (6)
-- (81 points)

"Growth Chip" (Flaws: Removable) [19]
Growth 6 (Str & Toughness +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (13)
Growth +10 (+16 Mass, +8 Intimidation, +2 Speed, -16 Stealth) -- (120 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Growths) (10)
-- (23 points)

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Android Body +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Blades +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Giant Size +10 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +10

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +0 (+11 Android Body), Fortitude +4, Will +7
"Giant Size" Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +0 (+17 Android Body), Fortitude +4, Will +7

Bummer Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Krang wishes to rule the universe, or at least Dimension X.
Disabled (Giant Brain)- Krang is a living brain with little manual dexterity- he requires his Android Body or Walker Suit to get around and manipulate things effectively.
Enemy (Splinter, The Turtles)- Krang is constantly being foiled by the Turtles.
Rivalry (The Shredder)- Though the two are partners in crime, they bicker on a constant basis.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 84 / Defenses: 8 (205)

-Among the greatest things about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon was, of course, their choice in villains- none express this more than KRANG. He's basically a mish-mash of amazing qualities- where ELSE are you going to see a bad guy that is a giant, diaper-wearing android with sunglasses and a LIVING BRAIN in its stomach. Oh, and he's an interdimensional warlord who pilots a vessel shaped like a giant sphere with tank treads and an eye on top. And the Android Body can grow wings or fight using weapons, and can convert it into a kaiju. And he bickers with his partner in crime like they're an old married couple.

-The "Utroms" are an alien race of brain-like creatures in the Mirage Comics, but of course the 1987 series took the concept and ran with it, creating an iconic bad guy. Alas, he rarely appears in the other fiction- the other cartoons use the Utroms, and the Nick show includes "The Kraang", a whole race of guys like this in android bodies. But it's just not the same. I need this slimy, disgusting, pulsating pile of veiny goo in his glorious diaper-clad Giant Android (which of course mimics Krang's facial expressions), constantly arguing with Oroku Saki. Pat Fraley and James Avery deliberately performed them as if they were a bickering married couple, and it made the constant grousing hilarious.

-The amazing site X-Entertainment (a massive pop culture-related fansite that was at one point the BEST source to go to for information on Action Figures and obscure trivia- it's still running today, alongside Dinosaur Dracula, Matt From X-E's other site) professes that Krang is the writer's favorite character ever. And that's where I discovered that they actually MADE A TOY OF THIS THING. TWO, actually! It amazed me, because as a kid, all anyone I knew ever had was that shitty "Krang in a Robot Walker" toy that was the same size as everyone else. "Krang's Android Body" was like some kind of fictional Holy Grail of toys... except it was REAL. They made TWO of them, actually- a giant-size 11-inch one, and a standard-issue 5-inch figure (oddly, both will go for the same prices on eBay).

-Krang is tough to stat- he's a wimpy brain who needs to be in the Android Body to kick some ass. He's only about as capable as one Turtle all by himself, but his power is mainly in carrying around new Equipment, or just the Technodrome in general. In a couple episodes, he had a chip in his suit that allowed him to grow to a hundred feet high, so there's that, too. He fights as a PL 10 Powerhouse on his own, but at Giant Size, hits PL 12.

Other Krang Toys: Krang's Android Body (5"), Krang's Android Body (11")
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:02 am The 2012 Nick series also claimed that 87 Krang had originally been from that dimension but was banished for his incompetence. Which is kinda funny.
Honestly, I feel bad for the 87 series given all the flack it got from Turtles Forever and the 2012 series.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Ares wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:14 am
KorokoMystia wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:02 am The 2012 Nick series also claimed that 87 Krang had originally been from that dimension but was banished for his incompetence. Which is kinda funny.
Honestly, I feel bad for the 87 series given all the flack it got from Turtles Forever and the 2012 series.
I can agree with that. I wouldn't mind them poking fun at some of the silly stuff, because there was a LOT of goofy stuff in the show, but the "parodies" make them dumber than they actually were in the show (such as having them just running onto the streets undisguised. Like, if they wanted to make a joke, they could make a joke about how somehow nobody noticed that they were turtles just because they were wearing those trenchcoats)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

KorokoMystia wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 3:02 am
Ares wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:14 am
I can agree with that. I wouldn't mind them poking fun at some of the silly stuff, because there was a LOT of goofy stuff in the show, but the "parodies" make them dumber than they actually were in the show (such as having them just running onto the streets undisguised. Like, if they wanted to make a joke, they could make a joke about how somehow nobody noticed that they were turtles just because they were wearing those trenchcoats)
Exactly. The idea that the 87 Turtles don't know how to use their weapons, are cowardly, unintelligent or inappropriately silly is just kind of mean-spirited. Using your example, it'd be interesting to have the 87 Turtles try that in the 2012 TMNT setting and have it not work. Only to then have it work in the 87 world, possibly with the justification that the 87-verse is MORE jaded than the 2012-verse. And hell, you could argue that the 2012 Michelangelo is way more stupid and obnoxious than his 87 counterpart.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

It does seem particularly weird given how none of these shows would exist without the original being such a big hit. It's a bit snobbish and mean-spirited- I found it amusing in Turtles Forever (gags like them talking to the camera, April getting kidnapped, or weirdo villains), but stuff like "LOL they don't actually know how to fight" doesn't work because they did a fair bit of fighting, winning even if by relatively non-violent means sometimes.

Not quite as bad as today's "LOL you liked the old show whose name we're using? YOU SUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK" mentality, but it's there.
Jabroniville

General Traag

Post by Jabroniville »

As unstoppable as a landslide, General Traag, leader of Krang's Rock Soldier armies in Dimension X, has one thing on his tiny mind — demolish Turtles. Summoned by Krang to exterminate the Turtles and prepare the way for an invasion from Dimension X, General Traag is grinding like a glacier over everything in his path.

This stone-cold killer digs through solid rock with his Anti-Turtle Combat Knife looking for Turtles. In a battle of wits, he may be unarmed but beware of his Laser Blaster. You are in for a shock should you end up on the wrong end of this atom smasher. Traag's Stunlaser gun leaves his enemies dazed, dopey and defenseless — perfect for Turtle shish-kabobs or as victims for Krang's diabolical schemes.

GENERAL TRAAG
Role:
Secondary Bad Guy Minion
Played By: Peter Renaday
PL 8 (98)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Bodacious Skills:
Expertise (Soldier) 7 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Vehicles 4 (+5)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Blaster), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blaster), Ranged Attack 9

Radical Equipment:
"Blaster" Blast 6 (Multiattack) (18)
"Combat Knife" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Improved Critical) (2)

Tubular Powers:
"Rock Soldier"
Immunity 5 (Drowning, Pressure, Heat, Cold, Suffocation) [5]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Knife +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Blaster +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Bummer Complications:
Motivation (Krang's Will)- Traag is Krang's most-loyal minion.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 13 (98)

-General Traag was a secondary minion of Krang's, and effectively the embodiment of his forces. Kind of a necessary character, actually- if you wanted to show Krang as a warlord of Dimension X, then you had to show his WARRIORS. And those warriors, of course, can't just be an army of Mooks, or no one would respect them. And so, General Traag was there. He was a big brown rocky dude with an army helmet (the toy is MUCH more-detailed, showing an ugly, paler face that was much more expressive), and often teamed up with Granitor, a grey dude with a pointy nose. They were created by spraying simple ROCKS with Mutagen, and were the Mooks du jour when the Foot Soldiers weren't needed. Quite often, they were chasing the Neutrinos around (for the crime of "having fun")- they even drove off the Ninja Turtles briefly. He actually appeared more often than I thought, usually as a Villain of the Week who just happened to pop up more than once- he was in 7-8 episodes, as opposed to the usual 1-2 for this show.

-Traag is seen as Krang's most loyal soldier, even after the fall of the Technodrome. He commands the Stone Warriors (also created by Krang), showing up the show's fourth episode (!!) Hot-Rodding Teenagers From Dimension X, where he & Granitor try to chase the teens down. Eventually, both villains were knocked through a portal back to Dimension X. Traag reappears on his own later in a few episodes, sometimes just as a guy who communicates with Krang from Dimension X.

-Traag appears in the opening three-parter of the Archie Comics in the same role, but with a clone named "Moorg" taking Granitor's place for some reason. He never appears again after his debut. In the 2012 Nick Toon, Traag is one of six "Cosmic Monsters" summoned by Kraang Prime- a gigantic, lava-spewing rock-man. Donatello's homemade explosives bring him down, and Leatherhead teleports him back to Dimension X. He is beaten increasingly-easily in later episodes. In IDW Comics, he is a gray rock-man in the same role- deputy-commander to Krang. He & Granitor are ultimately beaten along with Krang's forces, and spend time in exile before being arrested.

-Traag is quite strong, but unable to beat the Turtles by himself. I imagine Granitor to be a PL 6-7 version of this (he never reappears after the first episode featuring the two), and the Rock Soldiers are mere PL 3-4 Mooks.
Jabroniville

Granitor

Post by Jabroniville »

GRANITOR
Role:
One-Off Ally

-Granitor is a weird one. General Traag got his own action figure and was an obvious inclusion in the show as a representation of Krang's forces, but this taller, skinnier grey guy with a huge nose voiced with a Peter Lorre impression? What was HIS deal? I guess he gave Traag someone to talk to for the duration of his episode. When the two were defeated and sent back through the portal to Dimension X, Granitor disappeared for good- Traag ended up a recurring foe.

-Despite this minor role, he gets to appear in the 2012 Nick Toon as a fellow "Cosmic Monster" alongside Traag. Though Traag debuts first and is deemed a major threat, both later team up and are easily beaten, driven off a cliff by Michelangelo. He reappears with Traag later, but Rocksteady & Beblop team up with the Turtles (the 1987 & 2012 ones) and Mighty Mutanimals to beat them.
Jabroniville

Tattoo

Post by Jabroniville »

Heckled for being humongous, this heavy hero took his fat into his own hands and joined a secret sumo society to defend his honor. There he was branded Tattoo. Henceforth, he decided to engulf his entire body with tattoos to live up to his name. Now that he’s done up his dermis, Tattoo takes his tonnage to the Turtle Teens to help them fight the Foot. Armed with only his massive muscles and skin illustrations, Tattoo beats the baddies with his bare hands. To further fool the Foot, Tattoo’s tattoos even come to life. And when he’s not using his scary skin, this inked individual flexes his forearms and funnels his fat to flatten the Foot. What’s more – the green guys really like him, ’cause his tattoos remind them of pizza topping!

TATTOO
Role:
Giant Ethnic Stereotype
Played By: Rob Paulsen
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (104)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Expertise (Streetwise) 3 (+3)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)

Gnarly Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 1 (Staff), Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Trip, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Radical Equipment:
"Sumo Snake Burnisher Staff" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) (1)

Tubular Powers:
"Living Tattoos" Summon Animals 3 (Extras: 4 Minions +4, Horde, Variable- Animals) [24]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Staff +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +1

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Bummer Complications:
Prejudice (Big Fat Ethnic Stereotype)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 11 (104)

-Tatoo is a great case of the kind of character you'd NEVER see after the 1980s were over- not only is he a weird combination of Japanese ethnic stereotypes (the sumo wrestler combined with the tattoos of the Yakuza gangs), but he's also so yellow that he actually looks JAUNDICED.

-He's different in the two continuities- in the Archie book & toys, he was a bullied kid who decided to use his fat for good, joining a "secret sumo society" to defend his honor- he gets the TMNT to rescue his pet chihuahua from the Yakuza, who wanted him to throw his next fight. In the cartoon, he was a HAMSTER mutated into a human being by the Shredder- the Turtles encountered him vandalizing a pet shop, and elecrocuted him to get him back to rodent form. Shockingly, despite the cartoon mostly being used to sell toys, this occupies only the first few minutes of a two-parter, and he lasts a single fight before being transformed back- the remainder of the two-parter introduces Dirtbag & Groundchuck and involves the Turtles flying off into space. So it's a really weird cameo for this guy.

-This stat-block fits the comic book/toy version more- the TV show's version is more of a one-off. He's one of the stronger human-type characters you're likely to see in the series.
Jabroniville

The Neutrinos

Post by Jabroniville »

THE NEUTRINOS (Dask, Zak & Kala)
Role:
Ultra-'80s Allies
Played By: Thom Pinto, Pat Fraley & Tress MacNeille
PL 2 (49), PL 4 (49) Defenses
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 4 (+3)
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise ('50s-Style Teens) 2 (+5)
Perception 1 (+2)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Laser Gun- Blast 5- Multiattack)

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Initiative +4

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +5

Bummer Complications:
Motivation (Peace)- As an act of rebellion, the three Neutrinos oppose the war that is the natural state of Dimension X.
Relationship (The Ninja Turtles)- The three are great pals with the TMNT, and ally with them frequently.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (49)

The Neutrinos- Helpful Space Buddies and Iconic '80s Characters:
-The Neutrinos are futuristic-looking characters who of course ironically DATE the show more than anything else. Seriously, a bunch of trash-talkin' teens in flying cars with crazy wild hair? This is like every 1980s stereotype of the future personified into one pair of dudes and a dudette! Though of course they use 1950s slang. The Neutrinos are a group of refugees of sorts from Dimension X, having been on the run from Krang's forces. They fly about in a flying vehicle that looks oddly like a 1950s Earth muscle car, and oppose the idea of war. This is viewed on their homeworld as a case of "Teen Rebellion", as war is of course the natural state of Dimension X. Tress "Babs Bunny" McNeille is instantly-recognizable as Kala, the swirly-banged, histrionic girl with the mutual crush on Michaelangelo (just listen to her bawl when she describes how Krang hunts down anyone "Just for the crime of HAVING FUN!").

-They're also responsible for The Grybyx, a Gremlins knock-off that features Kala's adorable pet turning into a giant monster (it first befriends the Turtles before growing huge, and later Shredder captures it and it wrecks house after Rocksteady gives it a burger). As I've mentioned before, this episode used to ENRAGE me, simply because YTV seemed to constantly overplay it in repeats. Half a dozen times, I sat down to watch the show, listened to the whole credits... then saw the dreaded title card The Grybyx. SNAP! TOTALLY lose it! The Neutrinos appear in six episodes of the cartoon series, effectively becoming iconic allies (that's more appearances than either Casey Jones or Zach). In Four Turtles and a Baby (named for then-recent megahit Three Men and a Baby), the boys have to care for Princess Tribble while her parents are at war with General Traag- unfortunately, they discover that all Neutrinos have psychokinetic powers when they're infants, and then Burne Thompson sees her and decides to run a baby contest on Channel 6, luring in Shredder. In their final appearance, the Neutrinos are brainwashed using an "aggressor ray" by Krang, and try to fight the Turtles until the spell is broken.

-Like most Toon characters, the trio actually received toys for real after a point. It was after I'd stopped collecting the toys, so I never saw them.

Neutrinos in Other Continuities:
-The Neutrinos appear in the second and third issues of the Archie Comics, effectively putting space aliens into the greater universe immediately, but oddly are NEVER SEEN after that, the creators just zooming off into space to find OTHER aliens instead. Like, it's kinda weird that the first friendly aliens we met are completely ignored in all the other Space Opera stuff- I can only imagine this is because the creators didn't feel like using someone else's stuff. Like many other former TMNT characters, they get cameos in the IDW Comics, where the main trio appears as part of a band of freedom fighters- they are far more militaristic and sport laser weapons, but are easily identifiable by their '80s hairstyles. Zak bonds with Raphael over their mutual love of battle, Dask is the commander, and Kala is... filler. Their Princess Trib becomes the object of Michelangelo's affections, but it's unclear as to whether or not she reciprocates.

The Neutrinos' Stats:
-The Neutrinos are pretty basic characters untrained in war- in fact, this is what makes them rebels. The weapons on their car are apparently a regulation in Dimension X, where constant warfare is law.
Sidney369

Re: Tattoo

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:18 pm Image

Heckled for being humongous, this heavy hero took his fat into his own hands and joined a secret sumo society to defend his honor. There he was branded Tattoo. Henceforth, he decided to engulf his entire body with tattoos to live up to his name. Now that he’s done up his dermis, Tattoo takes his tonnage to the Turtle Teens to help them fight the Foot. Armed with only his massive muscles and skin illustrations, Tattoo beats the baddies with his bare hands. To further fool the Foot, Tattoo’s tattoos even come to life. And when he’s not using his scary skin, this inked individual flexes his forearms and funnels his fat to flatten the Foot. What’s more – the green guys really like him, ’cause his tattoos remind them of pizza topping!

TATTOO
Role:
Giant Ethnic Stereotype
Played By: Rob Paulsen
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (104)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Expertise (Streetwise) 3 (+3)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)

Gnarly Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 1 (Staff), Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Trip, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Radical Equipment:
"Sumo Snake Burnisher Staff" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) (1)

Tubular Powers:
"Living Tattoos" Summon Animals 3 (Extras: 4 Minions +4, Horde, Variable- Animals) [24]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Staff +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +1

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Bummer Complications:
Prejudice (Big Fat Ethnic Stereotype)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 11 (104)

-Tatoo is a great case of the kind of character you'd NEVER see after the 1980s were over- not only is he a weird combination of Japanese ethnic stereotypes (the sumo wrestler combined with the tattoos of the Yakuza gangs), but he's also so yellow that he actually looks JAUNDICED.

-He's different in the two continuities- in the Archie book & toys, he was a bullied kid who decided to use his fat for good, joining a "secret sumo society" to defend his honor- he gets the TMNT to rescue his pet chihuahua from the Yakuza, who wanted him to throw his next fight. In the cartoon, he was a HAMSTER mutated into a human being by the Shredder- the Turtles encountered him vandalizing a pet shop, and elecrocuted him to get him back to rodent form. Shockingly, despite the cartoon mostly being used to sell toys, this occupies only the first few minutes of a two-parter, and he lasts a single fight before being transformed back- the remainder of the two-parter introduces Dirtbag & Groundchuck and involves the Turtles flying off into space. So it's a really weird cameo for this guy.

-This stat-block fits the comic book/toy version more- the TV show's version is more of a one-off. He's one of the stronger human-type characters you're likely to see in the series.
The Archie version also had a pet chihuahua named Inky, who was popular enough to have his own solo stories and an entry in the third Sourcebook.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Mondo Gecko

Post by Jabroniville »

oh, INTERNET...

---

A loner. A lizard. A skatemaster. Mutated from a head-banging, thrash-metal, teenage guitarist, Mondo Gecko is the coolest lizard to surf the concrete jungle. Known to his cold-blooded boardin' brethren as "The Mon," Mondo Gecko likes to skate the sewers and grease the grind. This maximum maniac grooves on shining the curbside and puts fun and freedom ahead of everything else. He's always stoked and lookin' for a new adventure. So when the Turtles need some extra help, Mondo's ready to skate, rattle and roll.

Mondo Gecko and the Turtles make funky freestylin' friends. Teenager to the end, Mondo's got his brain jammed into Michaelangelo's frequency. They're both party dudes - and that makes for a totally awesome twosome. With braces on his tubular teeth and cream on his mutant zits, Mondo Gecko chomps and chews on butter beans and rips through the sewer pipes, ready to crash and thrash the Foot.

MONDO GECKO
Role:
Totally Radical Teen
Played By: Jon Mariano
Group Affiliations: The Mighty Mutanimals
PL 8 (103)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Bodacious Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 6 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Music) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Skateboarder) 7 (+12) -- Uses Agility
Insight 3 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Gnarly Advantages:
Agile Feint, Benefit (Ambidexterity), Daze (Skateboarder), Defensive Roll, Equipment (Skateboard), Evasion 2, Favoured Environment (While Skateboarding), Follow-Up Strike, Improved Critical (Skateboard), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown, Teamwork

Tubular Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Tongue & Tail" Extra Limbs 2 [2]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [1]

"Skateboard-Boosted Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Accurate) (Flaws: Limited to While Wielding Skateboard) [2]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Skateboard Boost +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +6

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Bummer Complications:
Relationship (The Mighty Mutanimals)
Prejudice (Freak)
Relationship (Candy Fine)- Candy split with Mondo when he became a mutant, but eventually the two got back together.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 20 (103)

-Mondo Gecko was one of my absolute favourites as a kid- I thought he was the virtual embodiment of what being cool was all about. Remember what I said about recognizing that Michelangelo was pandering to kids? Totally didn't pick up on it here in the least. In the comics, he was a metalhead punk-type who got doused with mutagen and got transformed due to his proximity to his pet gecko (which I'm not sure we ever saw again). In the cartoon he was raised by gangsters (after being transformed by the same Mutagen that made the Turtles), but turned good with the Turtles' help, which I'm pretty sure is the origin story of about twenty OTHER mutant characters in that series... it was REALLY, REALLY bad for using a token collection of Plot Templates that they would just switch out several times a season. He appeared in only this episode, and the "Dirk Savage" one, having a very minor role for someone initially brought out as a cool "Friendly Ally" character.

-His Archie Comic incarnation actually palled around with the Turtles for a while (including their Space Arc), then joined the Mighty Mutanimals group as their most "Normal Guy/Teenager" member. Alas, he was killed with the rest of them after getting back together with his girlfriend Candy. In IDW Comics, Mondo appears as a mutant gecko mutated by Old Hob, and teams up with the Mutanimals against the evil "Null Group". He rejects the more violent aspects of Hob's lifestyle, and befriends the Mutagen Man, desperately trying to keep his suicidal friend alive. In the 2012 Nick Toon, he appears as Jason, a human skateboarder mutated by a random canister of Mutagen- he's pretty much like his original version, but is now much brighter yellow. He was kicked out by his parents and forced to act as an errand boy for Xever (Fishface), but ultimately rejected him and befriended the Turtles. He was played by Robbie Rist, who voiced Michaelangelo in the '90s movies. Despite getting a big debut and all this hype, he's largely a complete jobber in the series, usually showing up just to say "Cowabunga!" and get KO'd.

-Mondo stats up as a pretty defensively-minded character with some neat tricks and a pair of Extra Limbs. He's also got a boost that he only gets while using a Skateboard, which makes him PL 7.5 on offense. Regarding his other powers: I never SAW him do any Wall-Crawling, but I figured it might be cool. For some odd reason, all the TMNT continuities out there threw out tons of mutated animal-people, yet never did a lick of research into what these animals actually were ABOUT, leaving them all basically generic dudes with their animalistic traits as little more than their appearances. Mondo could theoretically have TONS of gecko/lizard-related abilities like Regeneration, Scent, Wall-Crawling, etc., but instead he's just a scrawny teenager with a skateboard. Similar things about with his teammates- I'm just ASSUMING that some could use Scent or Low-Light Vision.

Other Mondo Gecko Toys: Rock 'n' Roll Mondo Gecko (an INSANE-looking 1960s hippie stereotype)