Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Ripster

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:40 pm As far as I can remember, Ripster is one of the rare case where a "comic book scientist" is actually a researcher first and foremost. Although he helped build stuff on occasion, his main focus was on understanding how the mutation process worked.
The builder/engineer of the family was actually Jab (the hammerhead).
See, that's actually kind of a cool point, and something I appreciate in other shows like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. There, while you had a team with three science guys, each of them had their own area of expertise. Tony was first and foremost an engineer, and when it came to understanding technology or building something, he was the top guy. Ant-Man was first and foremost a research scientist always amazed by the wonders of science. He was always the first to hypothesize about something, but he often needed someone like Tony to supply the technical know-how to bring his ideas to life in a practical way. T'Challa specialized in his country's unique Vibranium/Magic-based technology, which required knowledge of various fields of study, including chaos theory. He wasn't as good an engineer or scientist as Hank and Tony, but he had a wider range of knowledge to draw on and a unique type of technology that gave him an edge.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Usagi Yojimbo! Agent Bishop! Lord Dregg! Karai!)

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:43 pm As I said, Biker Mice is one of the better interpretations of the entire "animal+something" craze.
Despite the insane premise and the tragically episodic nature of the show, it managed to put in some really good episodes (the Mars ones are absolutely excellent). My personal issue is that it was built as a "status quo" series, but I really think it would have thrived having a well defined story arc.
It worked as a "Villain of the Week" show, but it really could have benefitted from some Greg Weisman style story arcs and plot advancement.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Streex

Post by Jabroniville »

"Fin check!"

STREEX (Bobby Bolton)
Role:
The Extreme One
TMNT Character Most Ripped Off: Michelangelo (The Party Dude)
Gene-Slammed From: Tiger Shark
PL 8 (131)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+9)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Extreme Sports) 6 (+13)
Expertise (Drums) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Vehicles 6 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 4 (Random Vehicles), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Extended 2 & Acute Scent, Tracking-Scent, Low-Light & Extended Vision) [6]
"Lateral Lines" Senses 1 (Ranged Touch) (Flaws: Limited to Underwater) [0.5]
"Electrolocation" Senses 5 (Detect Electrical Signals- Acute, Accurate & Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Underwater) [2.5]

"Shark's Bite" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (7) -- [8]
  • AE: Weaken Toughness 7 (Extras: Affects Objects Only +0) (7)
"The Writers Aren't Scientists, Okay?"
"Gills Filter Out Toxins" Immunity 2 (Gas Attacks) [2]
Features 1: Can Eat Anything [1]

Burrowing 10 (60 mph) (10) -- [11]
  • AE: Swimming 6 (30 mph) (6)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Shark's Bite +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Bolton Brothers)- The brothers are quite close. JAWSOME!
Relationship (Bends)- Bends is their Cool Human Friend with ass-tons of high-tech gear in a tunnel system beneath the college (and comic book shop).
Enemy (Dr. Paradigm)- Paradigm betrayed and mutated their father, then the Bolton boys.
Temper- The Street Sharks are prone to tearing apart and eating scenery in fits of rage.
Prejudice (Freaks)- The Street Sharks, their allies, and their enemies are all considered "freaks" by the outside world. They are hunted by the police, and must operate in secrecy.
Hatred (Pizza)- ORIGINAL CHARACTER ALERT!!
Responsibility (Arrogant)- Streex has a bit of an ego.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 12 (131)

-Pretty much every team of heroes in "boy shows" of the 1990s featured a "Michaelangelo", owing to Mikey being the most popular of the four Turtles with young boys. These characters were sly, laid-back, lazy and talked in surfer-slang (note: the writers were never surfers), even more than the other characters. This was meant to make them endearing to youngsters, who loved that kind of slacker attitude and "woah, gnarly!" kind of dialogue, but it also does the most in terms of dating a show. For the Street Sharks, that character is most fitting for Streex.

-The "Cool" brother, Streex (named for the "streaks" on his back) was a self-proclaimed ladies' man, and the guy most often seen doing "trendy" things like rollerblading and extreme sports. He's even a pro-level drummer! His design is pretty great, at least- purple stripes on a light blue body. Unlike Mikey, however, he has an arrogant streak.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri May 28, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Jab

Post by Jabroniville »

JAB (Clint Bolton)
Role:
The Lazy One
TMNT Character Most Ripped Off: Raphael (Cool, But Rude)
Gene-Slammed From: Hammerhead Shark
PL 8 (127)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+9)
Deception 2 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+9)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Technology 4 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 4 (Random Vehicles), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Extended 2 & Acute Scent, Tracking-Scent, Low-Light & Extended Vision) [6]
"Electrolocation" Senses 5 (Detect Electrical Signals- Acute, Accurate & Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Underwater) [2.5]

"Shark's Bite/Hammerhead Ram" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (7) -- [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Shark's Bite +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Bends)- Bends is their Cool Human Friend with ass-tons of high-tech gear in a tunnel system beneath the college (and comic book shop).
Enemy (Dr. Paradigm)- Paradigm betrayed and mutated their father, then the Bolton boys.
Temper- The Street Sharks are prone to tearing apart and eating scenery in fits of rage.
Prejudice (Freaks)- The Street Sharks, their allies, and their enemies are all considered "freaks" by the outside world. They are hunted by the police, and must operate in secrecy.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 11 (127)

-So the "Raphael" of the Street Sharks is Jab (what kind of a loser name is THAT?), who is slightly smaller but has a bitchin' hammerhead shark head, giving him the most unique silhouette of the team. He is "more in tune with his animal side" than the others, being more prone to growling or roaring. This makes him a lot more like Raphael than the other brothers, as he's easier to goad into things, and is much more of a snarker. There's also a bit of Mikey in there, in that he's also lazy and kind of laid-back.

-Jab is a bit more charismatic than the others, but otherwise pretty basic. He often uses his head as a battering ram, but can bite like the others.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:17 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:26 pm Oh god...

Well, I'll wait for Jab to give this other "animals+random thing" franchise a spin.
I'd say Biker Mice From Mars deserves to be more on the SWAT Kats/Bucky O'Hare side of things than the Street Sharks side. That show was actually pretty fun and well done in some cases, and got positively dark when the Mice's backstory on Mars was revealed. Though seasonal rot did eventually set in.

Though to be fair, Bucky O'Hare doesn't belong in a TMNT comparison at all, given they pre-date the TMNT.

But yeah, like I said on Discord, shows like Gargoyles and BMfM show how you can take inspiration from a concept and then build something similar but still has enough originality and fun to stand on its own. Whereas Street Sharks . . . yikes, that leans hard into full on Rip Off territory.
I honestly don't remember a bit about Biker Mice From Mars, but still have the toy for the white mouse (Vinnie?). I wasn't aware that show had any kind of a positive reputation.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Lord Dregg! Karai! Street Sharks!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I don't remember a lot about it either, but I do at least remember what the characters looked like. I think there's still some of the toys around the house too (Vinnie and the villain, Limburger)
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:22 am
Ares wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:17 pm
Woodclaw wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:26 pm Oh god...

Well, I'll wait for Jab to give this other "animals+random thing" franchise a spin.
I'd say Biker Mice From Mars deserves to be more on the SWAT Kats/Bucky O'Hare side of things than the Street Sharks side. That show was actually pretty fun and well done in some cases, and got positively dark when the Mice's backstory on Mars was revealed. Though seasonal rot did eventually set in.

Though to be fair, Bucky O'Hare doesn't belong in a TMNT comparison at all, given they pre-date the TMNT.

But yeah, like I said on Discord, shows like Gargoyles and BMfM show how you can take inspiration from a concept and then build something similar but still has enough originality and fun to stand on its own. Whereas Street Sharks . . . yikes, that leans hard into full on Rip Off territory.
I honestly don't remember a bit about Biker Mice From Mars, but still have the toy for the white mouse (Vinnie?). I wasn't aware that show had any kind of a positive reputation.
It was popular enough to get a CGI reboot about 15 years after the original series aired. And as Ares said, it could be dark. It was outright stated that the metal plate on Vinnie's face was from having half of his face blown off in a battle years earlier. Not something that would normally be stated in a cartoon for eight-year olds.
Orbiter

Post by Orbiter »

Ares wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:46 pm See, that's actually kind of a cool point, and something I appreciate in other shows like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. There, while you had a team with three science guys, each of them had their own area of expertise. Tony was first and foremost an engineer, and when it came to understanding technology or building something, he was the top guy. Ant-Man was first and foremost a research scientist always amazed by the wonders of science. He was always the first to hypothesize about something, but he often needed someone like Tony to supply the technical know-how to bring his ideas to life in a practical way. T'Challa specialized in his country's unique Vibranium/Magic-based technology, which required knowledge of various fields of study, including chaos theory. He wasn't as good an engineer or scientist as Hank and Tony, but he had a wider range of knowledge to draw on and a unique type of technology that gave him an edge.
That's why I think in M&M 3e, some (most) of the skill categories are too broad. Expertise (scientist) would be better as Expertise (botanist/robotics/astronomer/etc.). And Vehicles? I can pilot a sailboat so I can also pilot a starship? No.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Orbiter wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:12 am
Ares wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:46 pm See, that's actually kind of a cool point, and something I appreciate in other shows like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. There, while you had a team with three science guys, each of them had their own area of expertise. Tony was first and foremost an engineer, and when it came to understanding technology or building something, he was the top guy. Ant-Man was first and foremost a research scientist always amazed by the wonders of science. He was always the first to hypothesize about something, but he often needed someone like Tony to supply the technical know-how to bring his ideas to life in a practical way. T'Challa specialized in his country's unique Vibranium/Magic-based technology, which required knowledge of various fields of study, including chaos theory. He wasn't as good an engineer or scientist as Hank and Tony, but he had a wider range of knowledge to draw on and a unique type of technology that gave him an edge.
That's why I think in M&M 3e, some (most) of the skill categories are too broad. Expertise (scientist) would be better as Expertise (botanist/robotics/astronomer/etc.). And Vehicles? I can pilot a sailboat so I can also pilot a starship? No.
I agree with that. In fact I House Ruled the Vehicle skill into four sub-skills; air, land, sea & exotic. Just because I can ride a motorcycle doesn't mean I can operate a boat.

As for Expertise, I typically just use Science then add an Advantage called Task Focus for which you have to pick specific area of science knowledge to be extra knowledgeable in. I thought that helped break things up a bit.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Orbiter wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:12 am
I would agree in some regards, but "Excessively Skilled Characters" used to be a nightmare for me in 2e, to the point where I actually stopped my thread for nearly a year because I was sick of writing up 20+ skills for every Soldier or Ninja character! In comics, most of those skills are really pared down and generalized.

Hell, for superhero books, having every "Science" ever be one skill is actually a pretty good reflection of the genre!

For Vehicles, I tend to make the Skill Limited in regards like that- "Limited to Ground/Air". It doesn't come up much, but guys like Johnny Storm or Ben Grimm, sure.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri May 28, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:21 am... for superhero books, having every "Science" ever be one skill is actually a pretty good reflection of the genre!

For Vehicles, I tend to make the Skill Limited in regards like that- "Limited to Ground/Air". It doesn't come up much, but guys like Johnny Storm or Ben Grimm, sure.
I think broad Vehicle skill is even more common than broad Science skill in the hero genre. It's not hard to find an example of a hero getting in a plane/helicopter/submarine/alien craft, have an exchange similar to "Ever pilot one of these?"/"How hard can it be?" and have it generally figured out in less than a minute. They'll often be at least one fumble for laughs, but will rarely fail completely because that would stop the action and plot.

In play, any situation where a GM has vehicles available and necessary for a scene (like a chase) but doesn't supply a vehicle the PC team can pilot is at least worth a Complication as a result of character concept specialized skills.

OTOH, I've been thinking of making a Specialty Advantage giving you +5 with a subskill, so you can still have hotshot pilots that can also drive reasonably well, or bio-geneticists who still have a smattering of physics.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

JDRook wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:00 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:21 am... for superhero books, having every "Science" ever be one skill is actually a pretty good reflection of the genre!

I think broad Vehicle skill is even more common than broad Science skill in the hero genre. It's not hard to find an example of a hero getting in a plane/helicopter/submarine/alien craft, have an exchange similar to "Ever pilot one of these?"/"How hard can it be?" and have it generally figured out in less than a minute. They'll often be at least one fumble for laughs, but will rarely fail completely because that would stop the action and plot.

In play, any situation where a GM has vehicles available and necessary for a scene (like a chase) but doesn't supply a vehicle the PC team can pilot is at least worth a Complication as a result of character concept specialized skills.

OTOH, I've been thinking of making a Specialty Advantage giving you +5 with a subskill, so you can still have hotshot pilots that can also drive reasonably well, or bio-geneticists who still have a smattering of physics.
One of the last 2e books introduced "Task Focus" which was an attempt to provide a degree of specialization. The math was extremely wonky, but the idea worked.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Slammu

Post by Jabroniville »

SLAMMU (Coop Bolton)
Role:
The Powerhouse
TMNT Character Most Ripped Off: None
Gene-Slammed From: Whale Shark
PL 8 (139)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Football) 4 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+9)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Vehicles 6 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 4 (Random Vehicles), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
Power-Lifting 2 (25 tons) [2]

"Seismic Slam" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Targets, Distracting) Linked to Affliction 8 (Athletics; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited to Grounded Targets) (12) -- [14]
  • AE: "Shark's Bite" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (7)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Shark's Bite +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Seismic Slam +8 Area (+8 Damage & Affliction, DC 23 & 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 11 (139)

-The odd man out of the Street Sharks, and most unique member, is Slammu, based on the Whale Shark (though, notably, the character still has sharp teeth and looks hella-dangerous). The Team Powerhouse, he's a "gentle giant" who is the least-aggressive of the team.

-Slammu is actualy IMMENSELY strong, fitting a Marvel or DC superhero more than a character from a TMNT knock-off show. He's a notch more damaging than the others, but he can do crazy stuff like pick up and throw TANKS (doing so in the second episode, which I watched), as well as hit a huge "Seismic Slam" that can knock down everyone in the immediate area.
Jabroniville

Bends

Post by Jabroniville »

BENDS
Role:
Human Buddy, Hostage
TMNT Character Most Ripped Off: Zack (the "Fifth Ninja Turtle")
Gene-Slammed From: N/A

-Bends is the Street Sharks' "Human Buddy" character, and a living plot device- he is the origin of all of their amazing gear, AND their underground hideout. Despite that, he looks like what a Focus Group thinks a "Cool Kid" looks like, complete with shades, a bandana and spikey hair- I feel like Lindsey Naegle from The Simpsons instructed somebody to "Rasta-fy him another 30% or so". He is occasionally captured by the villains.
Jabroniville

Rox

Post by Jabroniville »

ROX (Melvin Kresnik)
Role:
The Cool Friend, 1980s-Style Kid Focus Character
TMNT Character Most Ripped Off: Mondo Gecko (Rock band friend of the allies with black hair visible in mutant form)
Gene-Slammed From: Mako Shark
PL 7 (115)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+9)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Musician) 6 (+9)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Vehicles 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Random Vehicles), Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Startle

Powers:

"Shark's Bite" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Penetrating 6) (7) -- [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Shark's Bite +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Bolton Brothers)- Rox is now on friendly terms with the Street Sharks.
Responsibility (Fame)- Rox became an overnight success after being Gene-Slammed.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 9 (115)

-OH COME ON! Like, this is literally just Mondo Gecko but a shark. He's a kid from a rock band who got "Gene-Slammed" and then turned into an animal similar to the main cast, but with his black hair still visible on his new form. It's the same character!

-"Rox" was a wannabe rock & roll artist who was Gene-Slammed with a Mako Shark after stumbling upon one of Dr. Bolton's hide-outs. Initially arrogant despite being incompetent and unable to carry a tune, he became an overnight success as a performer upon his transformation, which seemed to augment his performing skills. He was manipulated by Dr. Paradigm into fighting the Street Sharks, but ended up as a friendly rival to them, particularly Streex (the "Mikey" of the four-man band). Rox is apparently rarely seen after his debut, however, despite like 57 episodes of the show being made.

-Rox is effectively just like Streex- he's a similar-sized shark to the other Bolton boys. I made him a PL 7 variant on their concept- the same powers, but less of a warrior.