Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Abomination

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ABOMINATION (Emil Blonsky)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Gil Kane
First Appearance: Tales to Astonish #90 (April 1967)
Role: The Hulk's Mirror Image Villain
Group Affiliations: The KGB
PL 12 (217)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Spy) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 13 (+15)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+4)
Stealth 4 (+4)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"The Strongest One There Is"
Power Lifting 5 (50,000 tons) [5]
Leaping 11 (4 miles) [11]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 15) [17]
Immunity 12 (Heat, Cold, Radiation, Pressure, Poison, Disease, Drowning, Radiation Damage) [12]
Features 1: Goings into Suspended Animation if Thrown Into Unliveable Conditions [1]
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrowth) [7]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

"Super-Strength Feats"
"Thunderclap" Dazzle Hearing 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Touch Range, Distracting) (24) -- [29]
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (22)
  • AE: "Groundstrike Line" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Line +3) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (22)
  • AE: "Shockwave" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Both Grounded) (24)
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Move Object 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Limited to One Direction) (24)
  • AE: Penetrating Strength Damage 13 (13)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Assorted Strength Feats +12 Area (+12 Damage/Affliction, DC 27/22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +16 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Nadia, Ex-Wife)- Nadia is a famous ballet dancer who was once married to Blonsky. He frequently gets obsessed over her, or tries to protect her.
Prejudice (Monster)- Blonsky cannot take human form, and is permanently stuck as a gigantic monster. He can not pass even remotely for a human being.
Enemy (The Hulk)

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 87 / Defenses: 18 (217)

-Rather than the Leader, it's this guy who's ended up being Hulk's most recurring foe by the simple virtue of... well, that age-old rule in comics that states "Every single hero shall have an evil version of himself out there, to show what would happen if he ever went bad. And also for him to have bad-ass fight scenes with, since they're so equal". A Russian secret agent who deliberately exposed himself to a Gamma Bomb, he was lucky enough to not die, but happened to turn into a gigantic green monster dude with funny lips, who's gone on to threaten The Hulk countless times. This pretty much makes him an uber-jobber with a 2-100 record against the big guy (as well as making him a jobber to every single OTHER Hulk-enemy that comes down the pike COUGHredhulkCOUGH), but he's enough of a threat to challenge any other Marvel hero as well.

-Stan Lee admits to creating the guy only after realizing that no other characters was called "The Abomination"- coming up with every other aspect of the character after the name had been chosen. In his debut, Blonsky defeats the Hulk, but Banner himself comes into play, draining Abomination's Gamma Radiation, allowing his Hulk form to defeat him. Immediately afterwards, he is taken away by The Stranger for further study (I get the impression that Stan always wanted to do more with that guy, but he never became a big star)- Blonsky only reappears to fight the Silver Surfer. Eventually, he becomes a recurring foe of the Hulk, facing him repeatedly over the years. By this point, his "Stronger Than The Hulk" aspect becomes filtered down- instead, he merely STARTS OFF stronger than the Hulk, whose "The Madder He Gets..." power eventually lets him get the inevitable victory. Essentially, Blonsky starts off winning, but the Hulk will always pull out the victory in the end.

-His stories are frequent, but pretty same-y. At one point he beat the Gray Hulk, however, and eventually got turned human after swapping places with Tyrannus. Alas, this is short-lived, temporarily going insane, then becoming a pawn of The Leader. He encounters the X-Men, Namor and Nate Grey in the '90s. He's also revealed to be the reason that Betty Banner died of radiation poisoning- he murdered her in order to deprive the Hulk of Betty, the same way Abomination was of his ex-wife. After a few dozen more stories, he has an unfortunate encounter with the new Red Hulk- in order to "Put The Rookie Over", to use the wrestling parlance, The Abomination jobs and jobs HARD- Red Hulk effortlessly beats the piss out of him, then SHOOTS HIM IN THE HEAD, executing the villain. About as obvious and transparent a trick as you can use to make your new character look good ("Hey! Look at how good our new guy is! See? He totally killed that old villain!"), and the fans didn't take to it in the slightest. Granted, there wasn't much left to DO with this guy, and some time on the shelf can benefit him and let him regain some credibility (which, after a hundred-odd losses to the Hulk, had to have been damaged). He has recently reappeared, but not gotten up to much.

-Ultimately, this character always has trouble- a Mirror Image Villain is only worthy so long as he has credibility- as the Hulk is a very "fight-oriented" character and Blonsky has the same kind of powers, their battles always end in fisticuffs, with the Hulk victorious. Eventually, it can be hard to take a guy like this seriously, because all he does is fail. Really, Marvel would be better off "shopping him around" like they do with The Juggernaut- have him curbstomp a few established heroes in OTHER books, reminding the fans that while this guy can't take The Hulk, he can sure as hell take anyone ELSE if he needs to- though really, none of this would be a problem if Marvel would stop Power-Geeking the Hulk out so much, and let him take a frickin' loss once in a while.

-A big nasty bastard, The Abomination is a PL 12 monster who's a notch above even the Hulk in overall strength until Banner starts to Rage (an Uncontrolled attribute), meaning that Blonsky often has the upper hand in the early parts of their fights. He's mostly the same as the Hulk stat-wise (but lacks the "Rage" boosts), gaining Gills, Suspended Animation, as well as the skills of a Soviet Spy who doesn't become the king of all morons in his giant green form.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hulk Builds! U-Foes! Brian Banner! Lord A! Hulk 2099!)

Post by Batgirl III »

I'm just waiting for the inevitable day when a new editorial team and a new creative team decide to go "Back to Basics" on the Hulk 'verse and we get to see Red Hulk "Scourged."
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

strange....I could have sworn I replied about the Hulk movie and how my favorite scene was the Hulk leaping on the jet to keep it from crashing into the bridge. odd.

anyways, the Abomination....heh....that always takes me back to Class 100 Colossus debates back at HC. Where this one guy (damned if I can think of his name though) was constantly going on about Colossus beating the Abomination which showed how awesome Colossus was.....despite every panel of the fight showing Abom fighting an entire team of X-Men, bystanders who saw it saying "They" beat him and even others conceding "yeah Colossus was probably the biggest factor in winning the fight but it was a team effort" and the guy was just "no no no, Colossus did it"
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:29 pm I'm just waiting for the inevitable day when a new editorial team and a new creative team decide to go "Back to Basics" on the Hulk 'verse and we get to see Red Hulk "Scourged."
More likely than General Eiling, "the Shaven Man", jumping universes and bitch-slapping Ross again for stealing his schtick.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:10 am
Batgirl III wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:29 pm I'm just waiting for the inevitable day when a new editorial team and a new creative team decide to go "Back to Basics" on the Hulk 'verse and we get to see Red Hulk "Scourged."
More likely than General Eiling, "the Shaven Man", jumping universes and bitch-slapping Ross again for stealing his schtick.
I would pay good money to see that fight from the front row. Then I'd buy it on Blu-Ray. (Then I'd buy a Blu-Ray player.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I'd settle for a 'both mangled/mutilated option"
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

I just can't get into the Hulk as a solo character, no matter how they dress him up (Mr. Fixit, Savage Hulk, Professor Hulk, Green Scar Hulk) it just degrees of the same character that just doesn't appeal to me personally. For me the Hulk works best as a plot device style character - Hulk shows up, Hulk smashes stuff (sometimes because a mastermind villain has manipulated him or the Army is after him, either one works) main characters end up fighting against Hulk then the heroes either come up with an innovative way to defeat him & keep the Army from going overboard trying to stop Hulk or reluctantly team up with him to stop mastermind villain's plan).

I like the Jekyll/Hyde dynamic between Banner & Hulk, granted I think that's due to my watching of the TV series, and while I think it adds a layer of character to him and humanizes him to a large degree (because let's be honest - if it was just the Hulk always rampaging then it'd be a lot easier for readers to dislike him) it's not enough to support a solo book. Granted the Avengers movie/cartoon have already shown this, but I kind of wish that Marvel would follow this example (not like they're not already doing this with a few other characters).
Last edited by Tattooedman on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Roswell Conspiracies! Hulk Builds! U-Foes! Brian Banner!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:04 pm The best thing about the issue with the Lord Armageddon and Silver Surfer face-off was-after his "New Villain Stink" allowed him to knock the Surfer down a peg or three with a power-blast-Norrin Radd basically shakes it off and says "You wield great power-but I AM GREAT POWER"-and promptly blasts the Troyjan general six ways to Sunday.

But yeah...the New Villain Stink was evident in later appearances, when the post-PAD Hulk treated him like any other jobber (well, more like a PL 12 jobber who was mostly hapless against the Hulk without Troyjan weaponry backing him up).

All my best.
Hm, I might take down his Power Level a notch or two, then- I didn't realize he'd downgraded "that far" to the point where the Hulk beat on him.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidious wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:57 pm Jab, I saw this and immediately thought of you.

https://www.atlantisminiatures.com/coll ... s/war-bear

It's the Demon Bear!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:08 am strange....I could have sworn I replied about the Hulk movie and how my favorite scene was the Hulk leaping on the jet to keep it from crashing into the bridge. odd.

anyways, the Abomination....heh....that always takes me back to Class 100 Colossus debates back at HC. Where this one guy (damned if I can think of his name though) was constantly going on about Colossus beating the Abomination which showed how awesome Colossus was.....despite every panel of the fight showing Abom fighting an entire team of X-Men, bystanders who saw it saying "They" beat him and even others conceding "yeah Colossus was probably the biggest factor in winning the fight but it was a team effort" and the guy was just "no no no, Colossus did it"
Ahhh, BattleBoarders.

I still remember the days BEFORE when scans were easily available, so that nobody could tell whether or not anybody was telling the truth. And how certain characters ("Superman With This Magic Sword From One Story!") would suddenly become overwhelmingly popular as the "Top Tier" characters.

The "Class 100 Colossus" story was always amusing to hear about, though I wasn't around for that particular one. Though they had that Gruenwaldian sense of what "Class 100" meant, as people later moved it to mean "can still lift hundreds/thousands of tons" instead of "100 and under".
Jabroniville

The Metal Master

Post by Jabroniville »

METAL MASTER (Molyb)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #6 (March 1963)
Role: Forgotten Silver Age Villain
PL 9 (96)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Space Conqueror) 3 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Technology 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Control Metals" Move Object 12 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Metals) (24) -- [25]
  • AE: "Metal Snare" Snare 10 (Flaws: Source- Metals) (20)
"Shape Metal" Transform (One Shape of Metal To Another) 5 (Extras: Ranged, Continuous) [20]
"Sense Metal" Senses 6 (Detect Metal- Acute, Ranged 4) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Metal Snare +8 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Metal Master was exiled from his homeworld for trying to take it over.
Power Loss (Plandarium)- Metal Master cannot easily control the metal that makes up the armor of the Spaceknights of Galador.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 7 (96)

-Talk about a failed villain- this guy has appeared all of FIVE TIMES in the entire history of his existence- that's about one appearance per decade! Metal Master was an alien (booted from his homeworld for trying to take it over) with metal-controlling powers, and fought the Hulk back in the day when nobody really knew what to do with him and his book got quickly cancelled. When the Hulk refused to join him in conquest, Metal Master fought and defeated him, but the Hulk came back with a plastic weapon, beating the villain. .... wait. The Hulk OUTSMARTED SOMEBODY? JESUS the '60s were different.

-Metal Master was immediately forgotten, showing up only a decade later and fighting the Spaceknight Rom- Rom drove him mad by revealing that their armor resisted the Master's control. He also showed up in Maximum Security as one of many "forgotten alien menaces" imprisoned upon Earth.

-Metal Master is terribly limited in scope, but has a pretty solid Power Level- he's dangerous to fight thanks to his Snares and throwing metals, but bow-howdy are his Saves bad. And if there's no metal around, he's essentially worthless. His Perception-Range Metal Powers are quite dangerous when you add his Senses into the mix.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Roswell Conspiracies! Hulk Builds! U-Foes! Brian Banner!)

Post by greycrusader »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:50 am
greycrusader wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:04 pm The best thing about the issue with the Lord Armageddon and Silver Surfer face-off was-after his "New Villain Stink" allowed him to knock the Surfer down a peg or three with a power-blast-Norrin Radd basically shakes it off and says "You wield great power-but I AM GREAT POWER"-and promptly blasts the Troyjan general six ways to Sunday.

But yeah...the New Villain Stink was evident in later appearances, when the post-PAD Hulk treated him like any other jobber (well, more like a PL 12 jobber who was mostly hapless against the Hulk without Troyjan weaponry backing him up).

All my best.
Hm, I might take down his Power Level a notch or two, then- I didn't realize he'd downgraded "that far" to the point where the Hulk beat on him.
Oh, he's still PL 12.5-13 easily, but the "Warbound"/"Mean Bastard" Hulk handled him fairly easily-The Hulk and Red She-Hulk threw beatdowns on Armageddon,a Wendigo, and a Bi-Beast android ALL AT ONCE. But the whole "Power of Thanos!/Genius of Doom!" thing went away after PAD's run ended; a combination of steady power-geeking of the Hulk(s) AND a disrespect/disuse of Peter Allen David's creations in the MU-He had a TERRIFICALLY well-received decade long run on the title, and Bruce Banner's alter-ego became a hot commodity (as opposed to just well-known) for the first time since the 1970s. But Agamemnon, the Pantheon, Mad Man, The Redeemers, Speed Freak, the Troyjan...NONE of them ever got used to ANY effect by other writers or in any other Marvel books. Most just disappeared, or got killed off without much fanfare at all. None of the story lines got picked up. Just like with the X-Factor characters-did any writer since ever treat Quicksilver as anything but a self-centered jerk who acted like an ass for no reason? Or revisit Polaris' implied anorexia/binge-eating disorder? Or see the potential in Madrox (admittedly PAD's Mary Sue of sorts).

Same with DC-when was the last time Supergirl/Kara had a monthly solo title last FIVE years, for cripes' sake? And yeah, the background got way too convoluted midway through, but still, a half a decade run for a character who hasn't supported a solo book before or since the early Bronze Age. And yet DC editorial treated his work like something to be embarrassed about and shushed away.

And of course, Wendigo got downgraded to Hulk/Wolverine jobber twenty years ago, with Bi-Beast almost a "joke" villain at this point-the guy just LOOKS too damn silly, no matter how strong he is-a victim of MODOK syndrome.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hulk Builds! Brian Banner! Hulk 2099! The Abomination!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, the lack of attention given to PAD's run is bizarre, considering he's basically the "Claremont" of the Hulk. To the point where EVERYONE has to reference his arc... then of course ignores every single part of it. At least when writers take over the X-Men, they constantly utilize Claremont's stuff. It'd be like someone taking over the X-Men and only using Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Angel, Jean, Havok & Polaris.
Jabroniville

Tyrannus

Post by Jabroniville »

TYRANNUS (Romulus Augustus)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #5 (Jan. 1963)
Role: Forgotten Silver Age Villain
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of They
PL 8 (115)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 10 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (History) 3 (+13)
Expertise (Science) 10 (+20)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 1 (+4)
Technology 10 (+20)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Deviant Weaponry, Roman Sword & Spear +2), Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Access to the Fountain of Youth" Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword & Spear +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Deviant Guns +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Enemy (The Hulk, The Mole Man)

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 12 (115)

-A pretty forgettable bad guy who's nonetheless shown up a dozen times on various "To Build" lists of mine, as well as the bios of other characters, Tyrannus is super old-school. He debuted all the way back in the fifth issue of the Hulk's book, with the backstory that he was an Ancient Roman scientist far ahead of his time; he was exiled by Merlin to Subterranea, where he lay in wait for centuries after just happening upon a Fountain of Youth (oh, Silver Age... hey, did they ever do anything with this? That could explain all those Golden Age heroes who are still alive!) and mastering lost Deviant technology. His enemies are both the Hulk and The Mole Man- Mole Man is a Subterranean rival, and the Hulk gets involved when Tyrannus tries to woo Betty Ross. He would go on to encounter the Hulk repeatedly, usually in the more "Silver Age"-style stories, such as when he used the Flame of El Dorado and accidentally merged with The Abomination, then ended up switching bodies with him! He eventually got swallowed by a Serpent Demon thanks to Viper, and disappears for a good, long time.

-Tyrannus appears in the modern age fighting the Hulk & Skaar, and later sleeps with the Red She-Hulk (!!) thanks to her aggressive impulses winning out over her good side for a while. Overall, he's a pretty silly villain, but very "Comic Book"- an ageless Techno-powered would-be conqueror.

-Tyrannus retained some minor powers thanks to his brief time possessing the Flame of El Dorado, but those have since disappeared (at least until the next writer remembers). Usually, he's just an Evil Scientist, but one that even Bruce Banner admits is far superior to himself, and his gear basically amounts to "whatever he wants it to be". A fight against Tyrannus is usually a fight against his minions (usually Moloids), monsters, and supremely-high-tech.

"The Flame of Life from El Dorado":
"Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 (16)
Mind Control 8 (32)
"Drain Life Force" Weaken All Abilities 8 (Extras: Broad, Ranged) (24)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:08 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:08 am strange....I could have sworn I replied about the Hulk movie and how my favorite scene was the Hulk leaping on the jet to keep it from crashing into the bridge. odd.

Ahhh, BattleBoarders.

I still remember the days BEFORE when scans were easily available, so that nobody could tell whether or not anybody was telling the truth. And how certain characters ("Superman With This Magic Sword From One Story!") would suddenly become overwhelmingly popular as the "Top Tier" characters.

The "Class 100 Colossus" story was always amusing to hear about, though I wasn't around for that particular one. Though they had that Gruenwaldian sense of what "Class 100" meant, as people later moved it to mean "can still lift hundreds/thousands of tons" instead of "100 and under".

ha ha...I remember somebody back on the old SHSD boards perpetuating the rumor for YEARS that Lobo had said in his own series that he had been paid off by a midget with claws to lose a fight at one point. And we all believed it because A) it sounded like something Lobo would say and B) who read Lobo anyway?