Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds (Mongul! Red Lanterns! Atrocitus! Laira! Dex-Starr!)

Post by Ken »

So, if red is rage, orange is greed, yellow is fear, blue is hope, indigo is compassion, and purple is love.... wouldn't using the color of emotion wouldn't green be envy?

What the heck kind of emotion is "will" anyway? And what about joy and sadness and lust, surprise, disgust, contempt, shame, shyness, and guilt?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

It's somewhat defined as 'calm', basing this off the Rot Lop Fan story where Katma asks the sound-perceiving entity what sound he thinks of as "soothing and restful".
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

I've spent way too much time thinking about this, Ken, and the answer I've come up with is that "emotion" isn't the right word. Try "motivation." The emotions that don't drive you to do anything don't have a color; an ennui lantern has no power. I would think contempt and disgust would be shades of red. And while Larfleeze is obsessed with acquiring things, Lex Luthor's lust for power drew the orange to him, so I tend to see orange as desire. Lust would go there too. But I also associate violet with love other than romantic love; it just has to be targeted at an individual. "Love of your fellow man" is indigo.

In my reckoning, green is the color of "because I said I would" or "because somebody has to do it." Duty, honor, resolve, and responsibility. Some random alien grabbed Hal out of a simulator and said "Hey, I'm dying, so you get my job," and Hal turned his life upside down because it was a job somebody had to do. It wasn't out of love of his fellow man or fear we'd be invaded from space or anger at injustice or even hope for a better world–it was a job somebody had to do, and so he stepped up. That's "willpower." Bear in mind that the blue light is powerless without the green. Just hoping for a better world is useless without the resolve to make it happen, but together they're enormous.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I never liked the "Will" name, either- "You have the power to overcome great fear" just means "You have courage" and COURAGE is really the "emotion" they're going for here.

"Will" is just there because it's always been what the GL Rings were fueled by.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

I think fear is just the Guardians' bugaboo because Parallax scares them. What they demonstrate, and require of their Corps, is the ability to overcome all strong emotion for the sake of duty -- see the Guardians' treatment of Hal's personal life, and their expectation that he walk away from his loved ones at the drop of a hat.
Jabroniville

The Butcher

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BUTCHER
Created by:
Geoff Johns & Doug Mahnke
First Appearance: Green Lantern #61 (Feb. 2011)
Role: The Rage Entity

-The Butcher entity is the one that represents Rage on the Emotional Spectrum. It possesses Harry Kim as he stands witness to the execution of the man who murdered his daughter. When the man taunts Kim, he is so enraged that the Butcher possesses him (despite the Spectre attempting to stop it)- Kim then tears the murderer's body apart. His rage sated, the Butcher needs a new host, and Spectre & Atrocitus combined trapped it in a Red Lantern. It was later sacrificed to save the universe by refilling "The Emotional Reservoir" on the other side of the Source Wall.
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

Ken wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:54 am So, if red is rage, orange is greed, yellow is fear, blue is hope, indigo is compassion, and purple is love.... wouldn't using the color of emotion wouldn't green be envy?

What the heck kind of emotion is "will" anyway? And what about joy and sadness and lust, surprise, disgust, contempt, shame, shyness, and guilt?
I would have redefined 'willpower' as courage or conviction, and had fear be it's opposite, so that the Green and Yellow lanterns were opposite sides of a dyad, and then found a way to do a couple more opposing dyads, like love vs. hate or hope vs. despair.

And then maybe explored the idea that the rings powers worked better or worse, based on the presence of their foundational emotional energy, so that Green rings work better for courageous people, or those with strong convictions, but *also* work better when that person is surrounded by others with strong courage, so that when there's a whole bunch of Green Lanterns together, or when a GL is on a team of other super-heroes, they'd be a bit tougher, but that flies in the face of how they are used in the comics, where a solo Green Lantern is quite tough and resourceful, and when an army of Green Lanterns appear, they all start dropping like extras in a Michael Bay movie...

That said, I do like the idea, particularly for how it would limit or affect the other Lantern corps. Yellows need to keep the people around them fearful, to increase their own power. Reds need to keep themselves and those around them angry and filled with outrage, they probably have cable news on everywhere they go. 'Love' Lanterns promote a society filled with passion and intimacy, are themselves usually not just married, but in polyamorous relationships (which would be the standard on worlds under their sway) because the formation of loving bonds lending more emotional energy for their Rings to work with. And 'Despair' Lanterns worlds would be shitholes.
Etc.

But with the desire to have seven lanterns, that wouldn't have worked out as well, I guess.

Random side-thought after seeing these yellow and red lantern builds. Wow, they really did come up with the nastiest looking aliens, didn't they? Sometimes I wonder if 'less is more' and some wouldn't be creepier if they *didn't look scary,* but, like Sinestro, were kind of normal looking dudes who happened to be hella intimidating or super-wrathful, and not scary shock and gore monsters (or even go in a contrast/Kawaii direction and have a Yellow or Red Lantern appear as an innocuous alien child, or cute animal). I guess Dex-Starr kind of leans in that direction...
Last edited by Ian Turner on Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

It’s a pity they off’d the emotional avatars. Such a rich wealth of stories DC could’ve told.
Zephrosyne

Re: Jab’s Builds (Kryb! Parallax! Mongul! Red Lanterns! Atrocitus!)

Post by Zephrosyne »

I was thinking the exact same thing.
Jabroniville

The Blue Lantern Corps

Post by Jabroniville »

"In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!"

THE BLUE LANTERN CORPS
Created by:
Geoff Johns & Ethan Van Sciver
First Appearance: Green Lantern #25 (Dec. 2007)
Role: Team Assist Characters, Easily-Killed Backgrounders
Create 15 (Feats: Precise, Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 13, Movable 12) (Flaws: Source- Green Lanterns) (41) -- (70)
  • Dynamic AE: Blast 15 (Feats: Dynamic, Precise, Penetrating 8) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (26)
  • Dynamic AE: "Multi-Blast" Blast 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 5) (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (18)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 14 (Feats: Dynamic, Reversible) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (30)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Reversible) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range, Source- Green Lantern) (26)
  • Dynamic AE: "Ring Sensors" Senses 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Detect Energy & Life- Ranged 2 & Analytical, Communication Link- Central Power Battery) (12)
  • Dynamic AE: Communication (Electronic) 5 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Blue Lanterns Only after 3 ranks) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: "Flashlight" Environment 1 (Light) (Feats: Dynamic) (2)
  • Dynamic AE: Immunity 7 (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Vacuum, Suffocation 2) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, 30ft. Burst, Ranged) (22)
  • Dynamic AE: "Boosted Field" Force Field 6 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 15, Affects Others 12) (35)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (17)
  • AE: Transform 30 (Dying Star Into Living Blue Star) (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Distracting, Tiring, Check Required- Will) (15)
  • AE: "Hope Bolsters Will" Healing 10 (Extras: Tiring Only +0, Area- 250ft. Burst +4) (Flaws: Affects Others Only, Limited to Green Lanterns) (40)
  • AE: "Hope Springs Eternal" Enhanced Will Save 8 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0) (8)
  • AE: Healing 12 (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Source- Requires Green Lantern) (24)
  • AE: "Hope Supresses Fear & Hate" Affliction 12 (Blast Power; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Limited to Red & Yellow Power Rings) (36)
-Blue Lanterns look quite cool, but are kind of uninteresting in a comic book world because they can't really fly around and beat the snot out of people. To keep down the horrific numbers of Lanterns out there, there's only a few of these guys in existence, as they REALLY slowly bring people into the fold with a "Mentor"-type training system rather than the mass "Hey, you- you fit our standards, here's your Power Ring" system of the other guys. So far, it's Saint Walker, a Ganesha lookalike, a chick, and somebody else, most of whom aren't really characters rather than set-pieces. And their rings are very weird- they have GL-tier powers, but only if a GL is present ("Hope requires Will")- but they also have a ton of bizarre side-powers like De-Powering Yellow & Red Power Rings, Healing, Reigniting Stars, etc.

-The Blue Lantern Corps was founded by Ganthet and Sayd upon their expulsion from the ranks of the Guardians of the Universe. They created a Power Ring themselves, and recruited Bro'Dee Walker to be their first member. As Saint Walker, he then began recruiting others. Saint Walker debuted purging Hal Jordan and other GLs of the rage and hatred inspired by the Red Lanterns, then explained to Hal what they were a bout- each new Blue Lantern is in charge of recruiting the next member, then speading hope. Walker recruited Warth (the Ganesha guy) and the two used the hope of an entire planet to reignite its sun.

-The Blue Lanterns were somewhat forgotten about after Brightest Day- Sayd became the Guardian of Larfleeze, and Ganthet returned to the Green Lantern Corps- no new Blue Lanterns have been seen since then.

-Blue Lanterns are a little odd, in that they can mimic most GL-type powers, but only if a GL is present. So otherwise they just kinda do their own thing and try to be diplomatic. They have a ton of weird powers, though- one is the ability to shift a dying star from a dying state to a living one, which I'll use as a Transform effect at huge numbers, but with enough weaknesses to make it acceptable. They also have some Emotion & Healing properties, all given with "Hope", but "Hope Requires Will" to work, so GLs need to be around for some of that as well. And then there's the Ring Boosting power, which essentially just supercharges a GL's Power Ring beyond its starting numbers, which generally means a GL can use their powers at full capacity all day and beyond. Note that they have the same Will Save-dependent Flaws as the GLs do.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Saint Walker

Post by Jabroniville »

"All will be well."

SAINT WALKER, Blue Lantern of Sector 1 (Bro'Dee Walker)
Created by:
Role: Team Assist Character, Hope Giver
PL 12 (202)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (Space Hero) 5 (+6)
Expertise (Theology & Philosophy) 8 (+10)
Insight 6 (+11)
Investigation 2 (+7)
Persuasion 8 (+12)
Perception 4 (+9)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 2 (+6)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Inspire, Interpose, Fearless, Ultimate Persuasion Skill, Ultimate Will Save

Powers:
"Odymmian Blue Lantern Ring" (Flaws: Removable) [108]
(Feats: Restricted- Possesses Great Hope)
Create 15 (Feats: Precise, Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 13, Movable 12) (Flaws: Source- Green Lanterns) (41) -- (70)
  • Dynamic AE: Blast 15 (Feats: Dynamic, Precise, Penetrating 8) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (26)
  • Dynamic AE: "Multi-Blast" Blast 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 5) (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (18)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: "Area Blast" Damage 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 8) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (21)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 14 (Feats: Dynamic, Reversible) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (30)
  • Dynamic AE: Snare 12 (Feats: Dynamic, Reversible) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Touch Range, Source- Green Lantern) (26)
  • Dynamic AE: "Ring Sensors" Senses 7 (Feats: Dynamic) (Detect Energy & Life- Ranged 2 & Analytical, Communication Link- Central Power Battery) (12)
  • Dynamic AE: Communication (Electronic) 5 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Blue Lanterns Only after 3 ranks) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: Immunity 7 (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Vacuum, Suffocation 2) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, 30ft. Burst, Ranged) (22)
  • Dynamic AE: "Boosted Field" Force Field 6 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Impervious 15, Affects Others 12) (35)
  • Dynamic AE: Move Object 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Source- Green Lantern) (17)
  • AE: Transform 30 (Dying Star Into Living Blue Star) (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Distracting, Tiring, Check Required- Will) (15)
  • AE: "Hope Bolsters Will" Healing 10 (Extras: Tiring Only +0, Area- 250ft. Burst +4) (Flaws: Affects Others Only, Limited to Green Lanterns) (40)
  • AE: "Hope Springs Eternal" Enhanced Will Save 8 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0) (8)
  • AE: "Hope Supresses Fear & Hate" Affliction 12 (Blast Power; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Limited to Red & Yellow Power Rings) (36)
Immunity 9 (Poison, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Vacuum, Radiation, Suffocation 2, Drain of Orange Power Rings) (9)
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (18)
Movement 3 (Space Travel 2, Environmental Adaptation- Zero Gravity) (6)

"Standard Force Field" Force Field 6 (Extras: Impervious 7) (13)
Immunity 1 (Disease) (Extras: Affects Others) (2)
"Universal Translator" Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) (8)
Enhanced Advantages 5: Equipment 5- Blue Lantern Database (5)
Features 2: Quick Change 2 (2)
-- (133 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blast +6 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Multi-Blast +6 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Area Blasts +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Snare +6 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Area Snare +12 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Ring De-Powering +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+9 Standard Field, +15 Full Field, +4-11 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +12

Complications:
Power Loss (Hope)- Blue Lantern Rings depend upon the Hope of their wielder. If one fails a Will Save (such as from being intimidated or mentally-screwed with), they will drop Constructs and Force Fields. If they lose all hope, the ring will abandon them entirely.
Power Loss (Out of Energy)- Blue Lantern Rings are the hardest to depower- as long as their is hope alive, their rings will function.
Power Loss (High Levels of Power)- Blue Lanterns must pass Will Saves to bring their power effects any higher than their natural Will Save +2. This includes Blasts, Move Object & Force Fields.
Responsibility (The Blue Lantern Corps)- The Blue Lanterns are charged with spreading hope throughout the universe.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 108 / Defenses: 16 (204)

-Saint Walker is the leader & key member of the Blue Lantern Corps, aka the "Wussy Peacenik Corps". He's not a bad character, but obviously in a combat-themed genre, he's got a bit less to do than the others. Still, he's very unique (how many truly pacifistic guys are their in comics? And Deathlok doesn't count, because he's a gun-toting super-cyborg :)), and I gotta say the Blue guys are among the most stylish Corps (behind the awesome Red Lanterns, though).

-Walker was a devoutly religious man who sought salvation on his dying world- he watched his entire family die one by one from the threats on their journey to a mountaintop, but his hope never wavered- he was finally gifted with being the first of the Blue Lantern Corps, upon discovering that the "messiah" he was searching for was his own reflection. His world was saved through the hope he brought to the populace, and he gained the Blue Ring of Hope. He went on to befriend Hal Jordan and other Green Lanterns, proving useful during a few quests in the lead-up to Blackest Night. Though he was rarely integral to a battle, he would do crazy things like, as Kreuzritter once mentioned, turn Atrocitus from "I want to kill everyone in the universe" to "there are specific people I want to kill", which is no mean feat.

-It's funny- I was dreading doing this build, as "Peaceful" guys are a little weird to stat, being virtual non-combatants. But I had a lot of fun statting up this guy, figuring out all his little bits, and focusing on those Skills you almost NEVER see (Diplomacy & Theology/Philosophy cracking 10 ranks?). He's not the ass-kicker any of the other serious Corps leaders are (especially because of the natural limits of the Blue Rings- requiring GLs to be around, and Draining only Evil Rings), but he's completely unique, and a near-PERFECT ally. When combined, a Green & Blue Lantern are a nearly unstoppable self-fulfilling force, which is as it should be in-universe (Hope + Will can accomplish anything) and in real life.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

For the re-igniting stars thing, note that Hal was right there; it's not clear it could've been done without him. (Also, I built a similar effect as Healing (Affects Objects); a star is a really big object, but...)
Jabroniville

Blue Lanterns (Basic)

Post by Jabroniville »

BLUE LANTERN (Intermediate/Basic Template)
Created by:
Role: Team Assist Characters
PL 11 (185), PL 12 (185) With Will Saves Passed
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Insight 6 (+8)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Persuasion 6 (+9)
Perception 6 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 2 (+6)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Inspire, Interpose, Fearless

Powers:
Immunity 9 (Poison, Heat, Cold, Pressure, Vacuum, Radiation, Suffocation 2, Drain of Orange Power Rings) (9)

-- (133 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blast +6 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Multi-Blast +6 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Snare +6 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+9 Standard Field, +15 Full Field, +4-11 Impervious), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Power Loss (Hope)- Blue Lantern Rings depend upon the Hope of their wielder. If one fails a Will Save (such as from being intimidated or mentally-screwed with), they will drop Constructs and Force Fields. If they lose all hope, the ring will abandon them entirely.
Power Loss (Out of Energy)- Blue Lantern Rings are the hardest to depower- as long as their is hope alive, their rings will function.
Power Loss (High Levels of Power)- Blue Lanterns must pass Will Saves to bring their power effects any higher than their natural Will Save +2. This includes Blasts, Move Object & Force Fields.
Responsibility (The Blue Lantern Corps)- The Blue Lanterns are charged with spreading hope throughout the universe.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 108 / Defenses: 13 (185)

-There aren't a lot of Blue Lanterns on this tier, to be honest. Only Saint Walker is really of any prominence. Though they have PL 12 Area Attacks, they are PL 10 at range and PL 11 defensively.

BROTHER WARTH- Sector 2- PL 12 (192)
Abilities:
ST +2, STA +1 [6]
Powers: "Trunk" Extra Limb 1 [1]
-Looks like a white elephant, making him resemble Ganesha, Remover of Obstacles. His recruitment via Saint Walker let Hal (and the readers) learn what the Blue Lanterns were like, and what they were capable of.
Jabroniville

Blue Lanterns (Rookies)

Post by Jabroniville »

BLUE LANTERN (Rookie/Redshirt Template)
Created by:
Role: Team Assist Characters, Easily-Killed Backgrounders
PL 10 (169), PL 12 (172) With Will Saves Passed
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Insight 4 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Persuasion 5 (+7)
Perception 5 (+7)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack

Powers:

-- (133 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blast +4 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Multi-Blast +4 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Snare +4 (+14 Ranged Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+9 Standard Field, +15 Full Field, +4-11 Impervious), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 108 / Defenses: 7 (169)

Blue Lanterns:
SISTER SERCY: The only regularly-seen female Blue Lantern. Has an odd purple face and a cape.
BROTHER PHRAM: Loses his Ring, along with one member of each Corps, to Kyle Rayner, who combines their powers. He joins the New Guardians.
BROTHER SHON: Alien-looking guy. When evil Scarabs attacked a world, he lost all hope- his ring declared him hopeless and left his finger, causing him to fall to his death.
BROTHER HYMN: Blobby-looking red guy. The third Blue Lantern recruited.

NICOLE MORRISON: A black Earthwoman. She had been abducted as a child, but the Hope entity "Adara" had possessed her, saving her life.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds (Atrocitus! Laira! Dex-Starr! Blue Lanterns!)

Post by Goldar »

When I was a kid, I changed "Green" Lantern into the BLUE Lantern, because I liked blue better back then, lol! I was The Blue Lantern! :shock:

2 of my friends really liked the idea: one liked Yellow, but did NOT want to be Sinestro. He wanted a "good" Yellow Corp, and was the Yellow Lantern, while the other friend liked Red and was the Red Lantern. Telling of our personalities? Maybe.... :?:

But who knew years later there would be these Corps segments in the comics....????? :o