Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hulk 2099! The Abomination! Tyrannus! The Red Hulk!)

Post by Goldar »

I agree with Ares entire post, as it is so spot on and exactly how I feel!

And Red Hulk was even stabbed clean through by Valkyrie wielding her mystic sword Dragonfang, and not only did he survive, but he pulled it out if himself!

Jumping to the moon and giving Uatu a black eye?

C'mon guys, new stink is one thing, but that is just too over the top!
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:55 am
BriarThrone wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 amAnd for mistaking significant details for pointless decoration, overestimating their own ability to Do Better, and in the process making the result less interesting on MANY levels than if they'd done two and a half minutes of Googling.
I'm not quite as obsessive a "rivet counter" as some militaria nerds that I know (y'know, the ones for whom a film like A Bridge Too Far is RUINEDFOREVER!!! when they notice that one of the riflemen in the background of Scene #17 has the wrong bayonet?). So I wouldn't expect a comic book artist on a tight deadline to get every "ribbon rack" correct in every panel... But in the case of Gen. Ross when it's something as basic as making the stars the right color!? C'mon!

Heck, I don't even expect much out of Hollywood movies. Just don't put a Vietnam Sevice Medal on a WWII paratrooper and don't do anything like this:

My biggest question is this: Ross is usually depicted in BDUs, not Class A dress. Or whatever the Chair Force calls their equivalent. Do they use the same term? Dunno. I'm currently sitting across from an Air Force Vietnam vet, but why bother asking? In the panel we're criticizing, for example, these ribbons and medals are on a camouflage background, not their dress blues. Therefore, Ross is out of uniform like WHOA to wear all that nonsense, even if we excuse the actual contents of the nonsense. It would be far easier for the artist to just... do it right. At least one of those has an equivalent patch in OD green and black, but most of it doesn't belong on the field uniform, and knowing that would save the artist a LOT of effort.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

All branches started replacing or supplanting the BDU sometime around 2010... Except the Coast Guard, who only started doing that in 2013. Because we always get stuff a decade after the Navy is done with it. :?

But, yeah, a nice baggy olive drab set of coveralls and minimal rank insignia in black is always going to look 100% better. Any inconsistencies can be handwaved away as "This is a special super-secret unit." but when you've got something that mixes up so much stuff like Ross does in this pic... it's just jarring.

Stargate SG-1 was definitely as "depict the military in a good light" show... Heck, Two Air Force Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Michael Ryan and Gen. John Jumper, made guest starring spots... But the show's writers and actors also got really into the minutia. They were sticklers for terminology, Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson constantly squashed attempts to "ship" Carter and O'Neill, and so forth... And every character's "ribbon rack" makes absolutely perfect sense for their characters!

This isn't the level of detail I'd expect in a comic book about a green rage monster. But in a show about the military? Stargate SG-1 is the Downton Abbey of militaria...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 pm All branches started replacing or supplanting the BDU sometime around 2010... Except the Coast Guard, who only started doing that in 2013. Because we always get stuff a decade after the Navy is done with it. :?
Ah, right. I was aware of the change in uniform, but not so much the change in designation. Apparently the new Army Service Uniform is now dark blue, not green? I got robbed. I was in when the PTs changed, and we got stupid berets instead of BDU caps.

And now, of course, instead of all branches having a single work uniform with a single designation, we've got the ACU, the NWU, the MCCUU - because of course the Marines need more letters - and the Airman Soldier Play Set.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 pm All branches started replacing or supplanting the BDU sometime around 2010... Except the Coast Guard, who only started doing that in 2013. Because we always get stuff a decade after the Navy is done with it. :?

But, yeah, a nice baggy olive drab set of coveralls and minimal rank insignia in black is always going to look 100% better. Any inconsistencies can be handwaved away as "This is a special super-secret unit." but when you've got something that mixes up so much stuff like Ross does in this pic... it's just jarring.

Stargate SG-1 was definitely as "depict the military in a good light" show... Heck, Two Air Force Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Michael Ryan and Gen. John Jumper, made guest starring spots... But the show's writers and actors also got really into the minutia. They were sticklers for terminology, Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson constantly squashed attempts to "ship" Carter and O'Neill, and so forth... And every character's "ribbon rack" makes absolutely perfect sense for their characters!

This isn't the level of detail I'd expect in a comic book about a green rage monster. But in a show about the military? Stargate SG-1 is the Downton Abbey of militaria...
Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis are two of my all-time favourite TV shows.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson constantly squashed attempts to "ship" Carter and O'Neill, and so forth
though the writers and actors had a HILLARIOUS bit of fun with that in the groundhogs day episode.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:32 pm Stargate SG-1 was definitely as "depict the military in a good light" show... Heck, Two Air Force Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Michael Ryan and Gen. John Jumper, made guest starring spots... But the show's writers and actors also got really into the minutia. They were sticklers for terminology, Amanda Tapping and Richard Dean Anderson constantly squashed attempts to "ship" Carter and O'Neill, and so forth... And every character's "ribbon rack" makes absolutely perfect sense for their characters!
In elementary school, we had some free magazines from the military with stories and vehicle specs (in retrospect, it was a bit odd of a choice of marketing, but I liked it) and they had an article explaining all of the items on the title character's chest in Major Dad. It was very informative. No idea how well the rest of it was explained, but apparently that part was accurate.

Ah, and at the end of the credits, "Special appreciation to the United States Marine Corps for their cooperation and valued assistance.", so it looks like they were an example of Backed by the Pentagon. If they weren't, they should have been, because the show unflinchingly showed the reality of the military as a dirty job with a lot of good people doing their best.
Jabroniville

Mogol

Post by Jabroniville »

MOGOL
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Herb Trimpe
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #127 (May 1970)
Role: One-Off Foe
PL 10 (108)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Persuasion 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Kill-O-Bot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 13 (Extras: Impervious 9) [22]
Leaping 4 (120 feet) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +13 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +2

Complications:
Secret (Robot)- Unbeknownst to even Mogol, he is an android creation of Tyrannus.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 56 / Defenses: 8 (108)

-Mogol is a one-off robotic creation of Tyrannus, convinced he was a real living being and sent against the Hulk. When the Mole Man prepared for war against Tyrannus, the villain sent Mogol to enlist the Hulk for aid. The Hulk naturally attacked upon hearing the name "Tyrannus", and the two proved to be equals- this later turned to them becoming friends. However, when a laser blast revealed Mogol's inner workings, the Hulk felt manipulated and betrayed, ripping Mogol in half and then destroying the pieces left. Only later did the Hulk wonder if he had, in fact, destroyed a true friend.

-"Equal to the Hulk" in 1970 means New Villain Stink + PL 10- more than enough to be seen as impressive in the Post-Sixties Boom period.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Pantheon

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PANTHEON:
Created By:[/b] Peter David
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #368 (April 1990)

-The Pantheon is a concept created by Peter David for his epic run on The Incredible Hulk in the early 1990s, and ran the book for years. However, as I've never read even a single issue of his run (I'm not a Hulk fan), I missed the ENTIRE THING, and have yet to ever see a single member of the team on-panel in my life. This is quite weird, as I mean- they WERE a huge part of a major Marvel hero's book at the time! During an era that was HUGE on crossovers! Why wouldn't they ever show up again? I think it's because the Hulk book was SO concentrated and closed-off from everyone else at the time (he briefly shows up in the Erik Larsen run on Spider-Man and that's it as far as I can remember... well there's the New Fantastic Four, but he was a Grey Hulk and only there for a bit).

-The Pantheon are a group of people under the control of Agamemnon, a Half-Olympian immortal who birthed all of them over the years, in order to do beneficial works like rescue missions & junk. Every single member is named after a Greek God or Hero (something I'd make more fun of if I didn't do the same stuff in all my stories). Based in the Nevada desert, Agamemnon hired on The Hulk as a member/ally after he formed the Merged/Professor Hulk personality- Hulk accepts in order to make up for all the destruction he caused while he was The Savage Hulk. It eventually turns out that the boss is a douchebag, having promised one of his children to the Troyjans for the ability to make his other children immortal like himself- he raises an army of dead Pantheon members against the good guys. Agamemnon & Achilles are killed, and the team kind of vanishes into the ether, as The Hulk goes his own way.

PANTHEON MEMBER
Created By:
Peter David
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #368 (April 1990)
Role: Backdrop Guys
PL 7 (87)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+4)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Pantheon Gear), Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Immunity 2 (Poison, Aging) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]
Regeneration 3 [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Blasters or Something +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Pantheon)- Agamemnon trains his family members to engage in lifesaving activities, and most do his bidding.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 9 (87)

-Pantheon members are essentially generic Elite Soldiers with some agelessness thrown in.

PANTHEON MEMBERS:

ACHILLES (Helmut Halfling)- PL 7 (171): Strength 6, Stamina 6, Immunity 80 (All Damage)- Power Loss (Proximity to Gamma Radiation) [84]
-Achilles is basically invincible (a full-on punch from The Hulk merely caused a nosebleed, and it was basically the hardest he'd ever been hit), but being on a team with The Hulk with THAT Complication is a horrible idea- it leads to his death in the battle against Ulysses.
ANDROMEDA II- PL 7 (87):
-Andromeda & Jason are the parents of the Pantheon's seer Delphi, and used to have Precognition herself. She lost her virginity and thus, her powers (??).

ATALANTA- PL 8 (100): Ranged Attack 3, Tracking; Energy Bow (Easily Removable)- Blast 7 [13]
-Atalanta becomes the love interest of the first Trauma, who was chasing her down for killing his brother, but soon came to love her. She hooks up with teammate Achilles, which made AJAX jealous, since he liked her TOO (WHAT KIND OF PERFUME IS THIS WOMAN WEARING???). Achilles is later killed against Agamemnon, and Ajax comes to understand that Atalanta only appreciates him platonically.

CASSIOPEA- PL 8 (113): Fighting 5, Ranged Attack 1, "Starbolts" Blast 10 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Energy) (Flaws: Requires Absorption of Energy), Immunity 20 (Energy Damage) [26]
-Cassie is Perseus' daughter and a free spirit who once quit the team to basically go do whatever. She hits on Hector (refusing to accept that he is gay, and ignoring that they're related thanks to Agamemnon being a common ancestor). She can absorb Energy Attacks and fire them back.

DELPHI- PL 7 (87): Fighting 5, Senses 4 (Precognition) [0]
-Delphi can tell the future, which should be obvious from her name- she does this by gazing into a pool of water while nude (because it was the 1990s, that's why). She desires to retain her virginity, and thus, her powers, which bums out Ulysses, who wants to bone her.

HECTOR- PL 8 (104): Flight 6 (120 mph), Energy Mace(Easily Removable)- Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Penetrating 4) [17]
-One of Marvel's first openly-gay characters, Hector is a flier with a super-Mace, and frequently has to deal with Ulysses' homophobia and Cassiopea's sexual advances, but Ulysses later saves Hector's life by taking a shot for him, and admits that "busting each other's chops is what brothers DO".

JASON THE RENEGADE (Nathan Taylor)- PL 8 (99): Fighting 9, Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+10), Stealth 5 (+9), Ranged Attack 4 [12]
-Jason is Agamemnon's "Wetworks" guy, often killing people that cross the boss. He defects from The Pantheon when ordered to kill Ulysses, and becomes an enemy. He's allowed to rejoin when Agamemnon is revealed to be crazy. He's mainly a gun-user.

PARIS (Nathan Taylor)- PL 8 (97): Fighting 5, Int 4, Awa 4, "Empathy" Mind-Reading 10 (Flaws: Limited to Emotions) [14]
-Nathan saw his parents die in a fire in 1959, and still holds a grudge against Ulysses for his failure to save them- he was given a codename and brought to The Pantheon- he often calls people by nicknames they hate (calling The Hulk "Bobby"). He appears heroic only sometimes (he rarely goes out on missions), and takes over The Pantheon when Agamemnon dies, firing Hulk and saying they'll be enemies from then on. His whole schtick is that he causes chaos my manipulating his way up the ranks of the organization.

PERSEUS (Scott Shannon)- PL 7 (93): Energy Spear (Easily Removable)- Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Reach) (Penetrating 4) [6]
-A retired member, Perseus owns an inn near Loch Ness in Scotland, and dies fighting Hulk's foe Madman while there's a monster running around. Hulk uses his Spear to beat Madman. His daughter is Cassiopea.
PROMETHEUS- PL 7 (102): Technology 6 (+8), Vehicles 10 (+13), Senses 9 (Psychic Sense, Extended 6, Tracking 2) [15]
-Prometheus is the Driver/Tracker of The Pantheon.

ULYSSES (Walter Charles)- PL 8 (93): Equipment 1 (Shield- Defenses +2), Plasma Sword (Easily Removable)- Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Penetrating 4) [6]
-Walter replaced the original Ulysses (who was killed because he spoke out against Agamemnon's decisions), and often clashes with his teammates. Paris hates Ulysses for letting his parents die, and Jason hates him for gouging out one of his eyes (?), while Ulysses hates Hector for homophobic reasons. He has a crush on Delphi, and quits the Pantheon after she leaves to go find her. This guy doesn't seem like a very nice dude.

AJAX
Created By:
Peter David & Dale Keowen
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #379 (March 1991)
Role: Powerhouse, Simple-Minded Oaf
PL 9 (54)
STRENGTH
8/12 STAMINA 10 AGILITY -5/0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 10 (+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Exoskeleton" (Flaws: Removable) [5]
Enhanced Strength 4 (Flaws: Limited to When Angry) (4)
Protection 2 (2)
-- (6 points)

Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
Impervious Toughness 9 [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+8-12 Damage, DC 23-27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +6, Fortitude +10, Will +2

Complications:
Responsibility (The Pantheon)- Agamemnon trains his family members to engage in lifesaving activities, and most do his bidding.
Disabled (Huge & Immobile)- Ajax could not move without his special Exoskeleton- his spine would collapse under his own weight. Also, he has poor eyesight. And is functionally retarded, having the mind of a small child, and is thus prone to temper tantrums.
Relationship (Atalanta)- Ajax is obsessed with his teammate- he sees her kindness to him as something deeper, and becomes homicidal and suicidal when he sees her hooking up with Achilles.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 11 (54)

-Ajax is a simple-minded buffoon who usually ended up attacking people for little reason- he brawled with The Hulk a few times (and was always defeated), and crushed on Atalanta, beating up her boyfriend.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HalloweenJack

Re: "Thunderbolt" Ross/Red Hulk

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:51 pm Image

"THUNDERBOLT" ROSS (General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross, aka The Red Hulk)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby (Ross)
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #1 (May 1962)
Role: The Rival (to The Hulk)
Group Affiliations: The Hulkbusters, The U.S. Army, The Avengers (?)
Avengers Grade: D-Level (just kinda joined)
PL 8 (76)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Military) 10 (+12)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
Benefit 2 (General), Equipment 3 (Guns), Improved Critical (Guns), Ranged Attack 8

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Guns +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +8

Complications:
Obsession (Stopping the Hulk)
Enemy (The Hulk, Everyone Else)- During his early stint as the Red Hulk, Ross kicked nearly every powerful hero's ass. Now that his big run is over, except every one of them to come for payback.
Responsibility (Daughter- Betty Banner)
Temper- Ross is easily-enraged, and will not hesitate to attack something he percieves as a threat.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (76)

-General "Thunderbolt" Ross debuted alongside the Hulk, and has proved to be the longest-running thorn in his side as well. In a character type that also shows up frequently on M*A*S*H and other anti-war shows, he's your typical Ball-Busting Asshole Military Man, showing that the guys in charge are usually rotten bastards, to contrast the innocent, almost saintly men under their command (M*A*S*H used this one a LOT). However, in a typically-Marvel wrinkle (though Breaking Bad did just as funny a thing, defining the main character's Brother-In-Law as an officer with the DEA), he was the father of Bruce Banner's girlfriend Betty. So we had an Overprotective Dad on top of the Jerk-Ass General.

-And Ross was INSANE AS BALLS in the comics. Despite being in the American Military, he allies with super-villains and megalomaniacs like The Leader, M.O.D.O.K. and the Abomination in order to bring down ol' Jade Jaws. Christ, he even shows up at Bruce & Betty's wedding with a gun, shooting Rick Jones. He then temporarily gets merged with Zzzax and gains literal "thunderbolt" powers, even after the merger ends. It's only YEARS later that Ross, after witnessing Rick & Bruce selflessly risk their lives to save Gamma Base that Ross realizes the error in his ways, and he dies in the typically-Marvel way, sacrificing his life to stop the villain.

-However, he is resurrected quickly, as the series kind of REQUIRES his type of character (a representative of "The Man"). The Leader brings him back under his own control, but he soon breaks free and is a bit friendlier to Bruce. That is, until Betty dies of Gamma-poisoning, which turns Ross against Bruce once more.
-Ross is a tolerable General (in the Air Force, it was apparently decided, though don't expect the artist to ever get the uniform right, or the writers to keep it consistent), and pretty good in a scrap, but is way below the level of a Comic Book Soldier-type.

Like I was gonna use another picture.

THE RED HULK (General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby (Ross), Jeph Loeb & Ed McGuiness (Red Hulk)
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #1 (May 1962- Ross), Hulk #1 (vol. 2) (Jan. 2008)
Role: The Villain Sue, The Rival (to The Hulk)
Group Affiliations: The Hulkbusters, The U.S. Army, The Avengers (?)
Avengers Grade: D-Level (just kinda joined)
PL 14 (288)
STRENGTH
16 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 4/8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Military) 10 (+12)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Benefit 2 (General), Equipment 6 (Giant Guns), Improved Critical (Guns), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 8, Startle

Powers:
"Villain Sue"
Power Lifting 5 (50,000 tons) [5]
Leaping 11 (4 miles) [11]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 13) [15]
Immunity 16 (Heat, Cold, Radiation, Pressure, Poison, Disease, Radiation Effects) [16]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrowth) [9]
"The Hottest One There Is" Heat Aura 8 [32]
Enhanced Fighting 4 [8]
Enhanced Advantages 11: Chokehold, Close Attack 3, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)[11]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

"Super-Strength Feats"
"Thunderclap" Dazzle Hearing 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Touch Range, Distracting) (24) -- [29]
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (22)
  • AE: "Groundstrike Line" Affliction 12 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Line +3) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (22)
  • AE: "Shockwave" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Both Grounded) (24)
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Move Object 12 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Limited to One Direction) (24)
  • AE: Penetrating Strength Damage 13 (13)
"The Red Hulk's Rage"
Enhanced Heat Aura 7 (Flaws: Uncontrolled- Must be Angry, Side-Effect- Fatigue) [21]

Equipment:
"Killer Giant Guns" Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (30)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Heat Aura +11 (+8 Damage, DC 25)
Raging Aura +11 (+15 Damage, DC 30)
Assorted Strength Feats +12 Area (+12 Damage/Affliction, DC 22)
Giant Guns +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +15 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +15, Will +8

Complications:
Secret (Thunderbolt Ross Identity)
Obsession (Stopping the Hulk)
Enemy (The Hulk, Everyone Else)- During his early stint as the Red Hulk, Ross kicked nearly every powerful hero's ass. Now that his big run is over, except every one of them to come for payback.
Responsibility (Daughter- Betty Banner)
Temper- Ross is easily-enraged, and will not hesitate to attack something he percieves as a threat.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 160 / Defenses: 16 (288)

The Red Hulk: The Ultimate Villain Sue:
-And of course here's the Red Hulk- the villain that exploded onto the scene and sent a bunch of nerds into a tizzie. Well really, the whole thing (invented by Joe Quesada at a meeting) was kinda amusing to watch, as I cared little about the Hulk-verse, but I find huge attempts at Mary Sues funny, so long as they only embarrass characters I don't care about. Essentially, the Red Hulk comes across as Jeph Loeb getting his jollies off by writing a power-fantasy character to run amok on the Marvel U, and kicking everyone's ass. He went through She-Hulk, Iron Man, The Hulk, a Wendigo, THOR, and then took the Silver Surfer's Board and went flying around space to kick the Grandmaster or the Watcher's ass or something. Now, comics has always been somewhat subject to immature writers' fantasies (Claremont and his X-Women, Englehart & his Mantis), but this was almost TOO much. It reads literally like a giant bag of bad Fan Fiction- that lowest of all creative industries. Loeb was writing a villain whose sole purpose was to kick ass, and it's both amateurish and embarrassing to read. But also funny. I'm actually happy they created him for this reason.

-And it was "Thunderbolt" Ross this whole time, which is kind of an un-reveal (to the point where fans IMMEDIATELY guessed it). But really, they had driven the Ross/Banner thing into the ground centuries ago, and it gave them a new dynamic. Big secrets like that tend to be disappointing let-downs anyways. This whole concept is so Pro Wrestling it's not even funny- a hot new "Monster Heel" debuts, "Squashes" all the prior top names in one-sided matches that seem to "Bury" them (the Abomination was badly beaten and then executed, for example). By "Putting Him Over", the victims devalue their own names, and the internet Smart Marks cry foul, calling for the head of this guy being "Over-Pushed". Once his "Push" ends and he loses the big-time rematch at the end of their Series, he starts "Giving Back His Wins" that he had amassed before, losing to many of the same guys. For example, he's since jobbed to The Hulk, Thor, a super-powerful Ben Grimm, and the X-Men, and during a more heroic turn in which he tries to make up for past misdeeds, he's become more or less a traditional hero, prone to struggling to overcome many situations (like against the Mayan Gods).

-The Red Hulk's origins turn out to be the result of The Intelligencia (some Hulk foes, led by M.O.D.O.K.) gathering together and empowering a rival Hulk, by the way. Ross eventually turns on them and attempts to take over the world for himself, but is defeated by the Hulk thanks to Rulk overheating. And this is the story that gets the Avengers to recruit him.

Post-Villainous Rulk:
-Ross as the Red Hulk continues to appear in various comics- despite the Fanboy Rage hurled his way, his appearances sell like gangbusters, which puts him both on the Avengers, a starring role in the Hulk's book, and even Marvel's Agents of S.M.A.S.H., a Hulk-based cartoon show! And so his "Face Turn" was more or less preordained, despite it being COMPLETELY INSANE that anyone would trust such an amoral, obsessive, vindictive person with that kind of power. But sure enough, the guy starts farting around with the Thunderbolts (humorously drawn by the late Steve Dillon as a man with real-life human proportions instead of the Gigantic Monster literally every other artist draws "Hulks" as), teaming with the Avengers against some Infinity Gem-wielders, and fighting the Thing when he's under the power of The Serpent (this leads to an idiot statement- Bendis speaking through his characters- that this was the "bravest thing" Edwin Jarvis had ever seen, despite him seeing WAY more worthy things than just "Fighting someone more powerful than you". Eventually, Ross is found and defeated by the "Doc Green" Hulk, who depowers him permanently with some nano-compound thingie, and Ross is arrested for desertion (which is, really, quite accurate).

The Red Hulk's Stats:
-I think I've got a pretty good handle of this guy- this is what I got off of Wikipedia and copying others' builds, plus that arc with the Mayan Gods that I've read. Plus his appearances in other books. He's as strong as the baseline Hulk, but a much better fighter, has nifty giant guns, and gets super, SUPER hot, doing massive damage with an Aura Effect. He's of high PL, equivalent to Thor or The Hulk, which accounts for his "New Villain Stink" putting him ahead of both of them in early fights. He used to have an Energy Absorption power- Nullifying all Energy Powers (or Afflicting them), but it's been taken away. Other than that, he's just a more vicious, craftier, militaristic Hulk- a fight between him and Banner could go either way.

always liked Sam Elliott as Ross. Kinda walked the fine line between hardass ballbuster and responsible actual military man
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Hulk Builds! U-Foes! Brian Banner! Lord A! Hulk 2099!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:30 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:16 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:08 am
Ahhh, BattleBoarders.

I still remember the days BEFORE when scans were easily available, so that nobody could tell whether or not anybody was telling the truth. And how certain characters ("Superman With This Magic Sword From One Story!") would suddenly become overwhelmingly popular as the "Top Tier" characters.

The "Class 100 Colossus" story was always amusing to hear about, though I wasn't around for that particular one. Though they had that Gruenwaldian sense of what "Class 100" meant, as people later moved it to mean "can still lift hundreds/thousands of tons" instead of "100 and under".

ha ha...I remember somebody back on the old SHSD boards perpetuating the rumor for YEARS that Lobo had said in his own series that he had been paid off by a midget with claws to lose a fight at one point. And we all believed it because A) it sounded like something Lobo would say and B) who read Lobo anyway?
Wait... that wasn't real? I've been hearing about that rumor for YEARS. I could swear I've seen it elsewhere before, too.
yeah, apparently its an internet myth
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

also the virginity = clairvoyance thing is a trope I've seen a few other places (Captain Zoom I'm looking your way) and I wouldn't be surprised if that's totally a thing in folklore
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:25 pm also the virginity = clairvoyance thing is a trope I've seen a few other places (Captain Zoom I'm looking your way) and I wouldn't be surprised if that's totally a thing in folklore
While even there it is not a true link of virginity and prophecy, In this particular case it may be derived from the actual oracle at Delphi being, at least in some point of the tradition's existence, a virgin.
Here is an excerpt for the wikipedia entry:
Diodorus also explained how, initially, the Pythia was an appropriately clad young virgin, for great emphasis was placed on the Oracle's chastity and purity to be reserved for union with the god Apollo. But he reports one story as follows:

Echecrates the Thessalian, having arrived at the shrine and beheld the virgin who uttered the oracle, became enamoured of her because of her beauty, carried her away and violated her; and that the Delphians because of this deplorable occurrence passed a law that in the future a virgin should no longer prophesy but that an elderly woman of fifty would declare the Oracles and that she would be dressed in the costume of a virgin, as a sort of reminder of the prophetess of olden times
(note: Pythia was the name given to the High Priestess of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi who also served as the oracle. The name Pythia is derived from Pytho, which in myth was the original name of Delphi).
Ken

Post by Ken »

Hector, and either Ajax and Ulysses, came to Rick Jones' bachelor party. Hector being there raised a few eyebrows, as PAD was making a point.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Agamemnon

Post by Jabroniville »

AGAMEMNON (Vali Halfling)
Created By:
Peter David & Dale Keown
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #376 (Dec. 1990)
Role: Evil Boss
Group Affiliation: The Pantheon
PL 8 (126)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 11 (+15)
Expertise (Military) 5 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 3 (+10)
Expertise (History) 3 (+10)
Insight 5 (+9)
Perception 1 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Technology 1 (+8)

Advantages: 
Equipment 3 (Pantheon Gear), Ranged Attack 4, Ritualist, Ultimate Deception Skill

Powers:
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]
Regeneration 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Lasers +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications: 
Secret (Looks Like a Teen)- Agamemnon is really Vali Halfling, son of Loki.
Secret (Asshole)- Agamemnon enjoys building up great social structures, and then destroying them. He also uses former Pantheon soldiers as Zombie-Bots, and has promised one of his children to Lord Armageddon for more power.

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 13 (126)

-Agamemnon is the jerk-ass ruler of The Pantheon, leading them from their HQ and sending them on various missions, only to reveal in the end that he just likes to build up these things and then break them down- he betrays the team, gets hunted down, uses an army of dead Pantheon soldiers as disposable Mooks, and is then killed in battle with Atalanta. However, he reappears YEARS later during the Hercules run against Amadeus Cho as a rival figure (both are geniuses in the bodies of teenage boys). Curiously, Atalanta appears as an ally of his here, with The Pantheon supporting Vali's attempt to depose The Skyfathers. He's beaten by Cho and dumped on the Egyptian Goddess Sekhmet, and then reappears in X-Factor to harass Wolfsbane over her Wolf Prince child. He is disemboweled by the newborn, and then disappears.

-As Agamemnon or Vali, he's apparently a consummate liar, though Deception & Insight are a bit trickier in the comics than in M&M- characters are basically always treated as being truthful until it's revealed that they're liars, even amongst guys whom you would imagine were INCREDIBLY insightful people. I mean, Terra basically pulled off what, 100 bluffs in a row on DICK GRAYSON? It's generally assumed that "The Mole" trick ALWAYS WORKS among heroes. He's a good fighter, but typically not THAT great at anything, being more of a schemer than a front-line fighter.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.