Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Comet

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:43 am

-Now THIS is a costume. The Comet is so forward-thinking he could have debuted in the 1960s and fit right in with either company. Turn the "stars & moons" on his costume into a Starman/Quasar/Troia-like starfield and you have one hell of a look. Though people will assume he's a Cyclops rip-off despite him debuting twenty years earlier.
I had the same thought when I did my Ares Art Edit of the guy:

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

The Comet (New Crusaders)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE COMET III (Greg Dickering)
Created By:
Ian Flynn & Ben Bates
First Appearance: ??? (May 2012)
Role: Potential Flagship Hero

-Greg is the adopted son of the original Comet in the New Crusaders online series, with the Shield giving him the powers to fly and shoot laser beams from his eyes.
Jabroniville

The Hangman

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HANGMAN (Robert "Bob" Dickering)
Created By:
Cliff Campbell & George Storm
First Appearance: Pep Comics #17 (July 1941)
Role: Two-Fisted Superhero
Incarnations: Golden Age, Silver Age, Red Circle (Legacy), Impact (Legacy), Archie Digests, New Crusaders (Legacy), Dark Circle (Legacy)
Group Affiliations: The Mighty Crusaders
PL 8 (117)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
Deception 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Chokehold, Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Move-By Action, Takedown 2, Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (John Dickering, Brother)- Bob's brother was the superhero known as The Comet. When John was killed by criminals, Bob swore vengeance against all criminals.
Relationship (Thelma Gordon)
Motivation (Justice)- The Hangman wants justice against criminals, but will not commit murders to do it.
Enemy (The Jackal, Captain Swastika, Others)- The Hangman encountered many villains in his career, though most of them died after one or two adventures. Captain Swastika once attempted to create a second American Civil War by breaking hundreds of criminals out of prison, and later hijacked a battleship.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 17 (117)

-The Hangman was introduced to avenge his brother John, the Comet (who was probably the first-ever superhero death in comics). A regular guy without powers, he actually lasted about thirty issues- a very good run in those days. Generally speaking, the first Hangman ended up a generic Two-Fisted Adventurer, though his comics were a bit morbid. See, he wasn't a killer at all, but his nemeses often found themselves dead all the same, usually due to being hanged by the authorities, or by accident. One foe, The Jackal, escaped hanging TWICE, only to fall into a PIT OF LYE and meet his end there! Captain Swastika was killed by an icepick thrown by his second-in-command (named Ice-Pick), etc.

-In 1965's Fly Man #33, a Hangman appeared who was a VILLAIN, fighting the Mighty Crusaders. The Red Circle run features Robert's son trying to live up to his father's legacy. The 1991 Impact Comics version was a lawyer for Native American rights. The DC Hangman was created by Angela & Rob Robinson in 2009. He was a lieutentant in the U.S. Army who'd been captured behind enemy lines and was set to be executed. He was offered survival by a mysterious shadow... so long as he agreed to hunt down all those who don't repent for the evil deeds they've committed. He must do this forever. Accepting the offer, he lives until modern times, punishing the guilty. He had the power to teleport, generate and control ropes & darkness, and could induce fear. He was also immortal. Frank Tieri & Felix Ruiz do a version of the character for 2015's "Dark Circle" imprint- this version is a former hitman who is killed and then offered the job once Robert ascends to the afterlife.

-Stat-wise, The Hangman is pretty much just like Black Jack, but with a few minor differences (he doesn't seem to have a day job, for instance). A good PL 8 Two-Fisted Adventurer can do some damage, but he's lacking in the gimmicks or rep necessary to push himself to the next level. I don't see any of these PL 7-8 dudes beating Daredevil, for instance.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Web! The Jaguar! Steel Sterling! The Comet!)

Post by Ares »

Some clarity on the Impact Comet series:

The Connors family had been taken by aliens as part of their "infiltrate and evaluate" protocol, finding a trio of humans out in the middle of nowhere and capturing them. The aliens were natural shapeshifters, so they assumed the Connors appearance and implanted technology into the Connors that created a mental link between them, while the Connors were trapped in individual suspended animation pods. The mental links allowed the aliens to access any memory the Connors had so that they could interact with people without creating any suspicion.

However, the alien linked to Rob was exposed to a powerful electrical current that swapped Rob's mind with that of the alien, also burning out the implant. Rob was unaware of this, as he woke up in his own body, and returned to the outpost to find it trashed. This created a big mystery for the series as he tried to figure out where his parents were, why no one had heard from him in months, etc. Rob at first attributes his powers to an unrelated accident (the communication tower he was working on at the outpost fell on him, electrocuting him but not killing him), but over time he started to doubt that origin.

Eventually he started having dreams about an alien ship, and during another battle the stress caused him to remember the layout of said ship. He found it, found his parents, and then found his original human body. He popped his old body out and it was revealed that the alien that had kidnapped him's mind was now indeed in Rob's body. Rob flew the alien to their home in the States, and the alien answered Rob's questions, including explaining how his Comet powers were all natural powers the alien had. Rob didn't take the news of what had happened to him and his family or being trapped in an alien body very well, so he left to clear his head. Only when he did so, an old enemy of the Comet's showed up, a cyborg named Inferno who was badly damaged from their last fight. Finding the alien in Rob's normal body, Inferno assumed this was the Comet and self-destructed, killing them both.

The Comet was then blamed for Rob Connors death, and it was at this point that Rob found out the truth about his girlfriend, how the aliens had found her first and how she'd sold the Connors family out to save her own hide and to get an amazing story. And how everything she'd done with Rob up to this point had been to manipulate him into being a hero she could tell stories about and eventually reveal the truth of the aliens to the world.

Naturally, it was then when the other aliens showed up, killed Victoria for betraying their trust and tried to kill the Comet. Rob drove the aliens off, but in an effort to clear his name he took off his mask in front of new cameras to reveal that he couldn't have killed Rob Connors, because he was Rob Connors. Unfortunately, his alien body took his intention to show the world who he really was as a cue to shapeshift into his alien body's natural form. Which freaked Rob and everyone else out.

Just an emotional wreck at this point, Rob flies off to confront the other aliens, who attack him. Rob kills them in self-defense, but not before one alien activates a failsafe to remove all trace of their existence from the planet, a really big Predator-style bomb. In order to save everyone, Rob flies the bomb into space, resuming his own features so he can die as himself, when the bomb goes off.

The Crucible happened and completely broke the poor guy.

The way the series quickly wrapped up at the end makes me wonder how much of Victoria's role in things was originally intended, or was meant to simply wrap up loose ends. Either way, it turns the Comet into an incredibly depressing story, especially for a guy who was basically the Will Payton Starman in terms of powers, just with Spider-Man style strength and durability. He could fly, was superstrong and tough, could project laser like beams of energy as either pure light, a cutting laser, raw heat or concussive force. He could also throw up a force field of radiant energy to help defend himself. He later learned he could breath in space, absorb energy and shapeshift.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:21 pm
The way the series quickly wrapped up at the end makes me wonder how much of Victoria's role in things was originally intended, or was meant to simply wrap up loose ends.
Nine months after that last issue, a certain TV series, which had "Trust No One" as one of its catch phrases, premiered and became wildly popular. Eight months before the first issue, we'd found out who killed Laura Palmer. I'm thinking the former, in other words. Such was the zeitgeist, and was present in all of the Impact titles to one degree or another.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:43 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:21 pm
The way the series quickly wrapped up at the end makes me wonder how much of Victoria's role in things was originally intended, or was meant to simply wrap up loose ends.
Nine months after that last issue, a certain TV series, which had "Trust No One" as one of its catch phrases, premiered and became wildly popular. Eight months before the first issue, we'd found out who killed Laura Palmer. I'm thinking the former, in other words. Such was the zeitgeist, and was present in all of the Impact titles to one degree or another.
Yeah, the Comet especially had a real air of paranoia about it. The Shield was more like The Fugitive/The Incredible Hulk TV shows with superpowers, while Jaguar had a sometimes superhero, sometimes supernatural horror vibe to it. The WEB was a lot of conspiracy stuff as well, and with The Fly being the only one that really tried to lean in on old school superheroics, and even then they played around with those tropes quite a bit.

Davies

Re: The Hangman

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:37 pm -In 1965's Fly Man #33, a Hangman appeared who was a VILLAIN, fighting the Mighty Crusaders.
Maybe someone had actually read the poem instead of using it for pullquotes.

(Why no, I don't like the Icons character, how did you ever guess?)
Jabroniville

The Hangman (Red Circle)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HANGMAN II (Steve Dickering)
Created By:
Bill Dubay & Carmine Infantino
First Appearance: The Comet #1 (1983)
Group Affiliations: N/A

-The 1980s version of The Hangman was the son of the first, determined to prove himself to his father, but "eventually faded into obscurity", according to Wikipedia.
Jabroniville

The Hangman (Impact Comics)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HANGMAN III (Eric Adams)
Created By:
Mark Waid & Tom Lyle
First Appearance: The Comet #5 (1991)

-This version of the Hangman was a lawyer who fought for Native American rights. He was attacked and left for dead because of his work, and a local shaman saved his life, giving him powers. He was psychically linked with a raven, allowing him to see. He also had a bag of magical charms.
Jabroniville

The Hangman (DC Comics)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HANGMAN IV (Michael Minettta)
Created By:
J. Michael Straczynski & Tom Derenick
First Appearance: Red Circle- The Hangman #1 (Oct. 2009)

-The "Dark Circle" Hangman was hitman for hire who had a wife and daughter. On his way back from a hit he is attacked and hanged by the original Hangman (Robert Dickering), who then finally ascends to the afterlife and his just reward. Minetta finds himself in hell, and is met by Satan- it is explained to him that Hangmen are created to collect the souls of those who are unworthy- Minetta is offered Dickering's old position. A character named Michael Mimetta is a Riverdale sherrif in the Riverdale TV show.
Jabroniville

The Green Falcon

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GREEN FALCON (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Harry Shorten & Edd Ashe
First Appearance: Blue Ribbon Comics #11 (April 1941)
Role: Robin Hood Rip-Off
Incarnations: Golden Age only
PL 7 (83)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Knight) 6 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Shield +2, Sword +3), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Sword), Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+10 Shield, DC 18-20), Parry +8 (+10 Shield, DC 18-20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Nazi Germany)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (83)

-hahah, what a total ass-clown. The Green Falcon has a pageboy haircut and medieval trappings, being a hero set in the days of Robin Hood. He is arrested by Prince John, but freed to defend the English from the Spanish, and apparently defies the evil tyranny of John... so he's Robin Hood. That's what Robin Hood does. This is so weird.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Jaguar! Steel Sterling! The Comet! The Hangman!)

Post by Jabroniville »

So now I've reached the end of what were the "Mighty Crusaders" guys, and now I'm onto a couple days' worth of extra heroes who never made the cut later, and a few of the bad guys I could find out about.

I'm kind of surprised how familiar some you are with Impact Comics in particular- this is something I'd literally never heard of until I first researched these guys ten or so years ago, and I know for a fact I've never seen a single Impact Comics book with my own two eyes. Not in a comic book store, not a used bookstore- nothing.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:31 am I'm kind of surprised how familiar some you are with Impact Comics in particular- this is something I'd literally never heard of until I first researched these guys ten or so years ago, and I know for a fact I've never seen a single Impact Comics book with my own two eyes. Not in a comic book store, not a used bookstore- nothing.
I was in high school when these were being published. I won't say that I never missed an issue, but I read them with interest. Until you brought them up, though, I hadn't realized how much of an influence they were on me.
Ken

Post by Ken »

You missed the DC Comics version of the Comet from the 2010 "Shield" and "Might Crusaders" series.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:05 pm You missed the DC Comics version of the Comet from the 2010 "Shield" and "Might Crusaders" series.
God he looks like a tool.