Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Primitive Fighting Games! The Micronauts! Bug!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Skavenger wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:10 pm In an unrelated post, I'm cleaning out ages of downloaded- I mean, Perfectly Legally Acquired Digital Backups Of Marvel Comics I Purchased (Honest)(tm), and realized just how bananas some of the stuff from the 90s and early 2000s was in hindsight, and how many absolutely useless characters there are for Jab to still build.
I am fearful and curious. I’d gone through Marvunapp and thought I got EVERYBODY worth doing!
Jabroniville

The Kree

Post by Jabroniville »

THE KREE:
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #65 (Aug. 1967)
Role: Space Mooks
Group Affiliations: The Kree Empire

The Kree- The Ultimate Evil Alien Army:
-The Kree are a pretty cool alien race, as things go. A nice example of "Not Quite Alien" Aliens, they were just blue people for the most part- not being truly special or with super-powers beyond those of humanity. In this sense, they've arguably become the most recurring and classic of these types of invaders, with most others (like the Skrulls) having gimmicks- the "Being Blue" thing was just enough to make them memorable, and they had crazy shit like a tentacled floating head calling the shots to make them iconic and "Comic Book"-y. They were a good standard "evil alien race" for years, first debuting in The Fantastic Four as recurring foes- when the FF defeated a random Kree Sentry, Ronan the Accuser was sent to fight them, giving us a beautifully-garish Silver Age suit of armor to ogle at. They subsequently became recurring foes in much the same way the Skrulls are- small forces would be sent to investigate, corrupt or infiltrate the Earth, requiring superheroic intervention. Their biggest use came when the Kree hero Captain Mar-Vell gained super-powers and learned to love humanity, ultimately rejecting his own warlike people.

-As "Captain Marvel", Mar-Vell would see the Kree shift from an FF thing to an "Avengers" thing, capping off with 1971's The Kree/Skrull War, where it's revealed that the two races- both Marvel standby evil aliens at this point- are at war, using "This beachhead Earth" as a place to start the final conflict. Eventually, we would learn that the Skrulls were once peaceful explorers- it was a "Star Trek"-like group of researchers who found the Kree planet, and were immediately attacked and killed by savage Kree, who took all their gear and became a star-spanning empire by the time the Skrulls returned to go "WTF happened here?"- along the way, they'd wiped out the Cotati- plant-like beings who shared their homeworld, Hala. Only the intervention of Rick Jones, showing human exceptionality with the "Enigma Force" (an energy that humans will some day learn to use), stopped the war... however, the Supreme Intelligence was responsible for awakening the power, showing that he had his own plans in mind.

Post Kree/Skrull War:
-The Kree would also end up featuring in the backstory of the Inhumans, where it turns out THEY were responsible for mutating regular humans into these super-powered isolationists. Ronan was also heavily featured in the "Celestial Madonna" story arc, investigating what would turn out to be Mantis birthing the future Celestial Messiah or whatever. With Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel both cancelled, they stopped mattering in most stories until the early 1990s, when Operation: Galactic Storm suddenly shifted gears to feature a Kree/Shi'ar War- here, they gathered a "Super-Team" of their own with the Kree Star Force, but the meandering, multi-part storyline failed in all the ways that the much shorter Kree/Skrull War succeeded, and led to the destruction of the Kree in more ways than one. See, IN-STORY, many important characters were killed and they were made to look like jobbers, being handily defeated by the Shi'ar, who wiped out 90% of their race with a "Nega-Bomb" that left the empire weak for decades (our time). But it also was destructive because the story wasn't well received, and so the Kree kind of vanished due to lack of interest and a hurt reputation.

The “Ruul”- evolved Kree.

-So it would turn out that the Kree, a bit stronger than humanity, had become an evolutionary dead end (some weird backstory has them cursed by a crystal because one of their race stole the Phoenix Force), and so the Supreme Intelligence deliberately set off genocide, hoping that the deaths of billions would allow them to "jumpstart" once more to fill the void. A group of Avengers executed him for this atrocity- he reappeared several years later. Some evolved Kree, called "Ruul", had gray skin and tentacles on their heads, but this didn't take off.

The Modern Kree:
-Then later writers of course did the classic comic book thing of "Those changes suck- so here's the race as WE remember it from when WE were reading comics", and the Ruul were gone when Mar-Vell's son Genis restarted the universe. The Kree were re-crippled from the Annihilation Waves (Annihilus & Ultron-related), and was given over to The Inhumans, who invaded and took it over, giving us a war against Vulcan's Shi'ar, plus Ronan & Crystal as a married couple... at which point Jon Hickman, writer of Fantastic Four, was like "Yeah, never mind- gimme" and not only undid all of the work Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning had been doing in the relaunching of the Kree Empire, but put the Supreme Intelligence back in command, merging a pair of Alternate Universe Reeds into the new version of the character! Oh, and the Inhumans bailed on the Kree and returned to Earth, and the Kree invaded in a totally generic throwaway fight scene that left them written out AGAIN.

-The Kree have appeared in a variety of stories over the past decade or so, usually doing some big shift that is immediately written out with the next big story (a recurring element of comics since 1990, at least). They popped up in Avengers vs. X-Men, as an ally in Infinity (Ronan joins the Avengers in fighting the Builders), the Inhumans are wiped out by a Kree group led by Vox, and more. Ultimately, Hulkling, the son of Mar-Vell and a Skrull Princess, becomes the ruler of a Kree/Skrull ALLIANCE as "Dorrek VII", so we'll see where this goes. They were last seen being attacked by the returning Cotati, who sought to remove all animal life from the universe in favor of plants.

The Makeup of the Kree Empire:
-The Kree are generally a military dictatorship, ruled by the floating Supreme Intelligence, which remains immobile and leads the various movers and shakers of society. His main instrument are the Accusers, of which Ronan is the only famous one. Kree Sentries are the eyes and ears of the Empire, keeping an eye on planets all over the solar system. Their Empire spread over thousands of worlds in the northwestern lobe of the Greater Magellanic Cloud galaxy. A band of pacifistic Kree had kept the surviving Cotati alive and began worshipping them- these became the Priests of Pama, who spread across the universe.

-All in all, the Kree are a great example of how to give a lot of focus to a race of "Evil Aliens"- they're given just enough good members to make them not "pure evil", they've got a distinctive appearance, they have numerous "Iconic" members (the Intelligence, Ronan, etc.), a few superheroes, a distinctive set of "gear", and more. They're important to the stories without being overplayed, and they can be whatever any writer needs- all you need is an "offshoot" or a splinter group or whatever.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:04 pm
Skavenger wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:10 pm In an unrelated post, I'm cleaning out ages of downloaded- I mean, Perfectly Legally Acquired Digital Backups Of Marvel Comics I Purchased (Honest)(tm), and realized just how bananas some of the stuff from the 90s and early 2000s was in hindsight, and how many absolutely useless characters there are for Jab to still build.
I am fearful and curious. I’d gone through Marvunapp and thought I got EVERYBODY worth doing!
I didn't say "worth doing," just that they're out there. :lol:

Here's a few from the top of the list I made:

Spite (Sister of D'Spayre, made an appearance when Juggernaut was banished into the gem of Cyttorak, escaped when he busted out, later teamed up with Juggernaut against D'Spayre in a one-shot)
Tatiana Caban (touching animal blood lets her take the form of the animal, appeared in X-23's book)
Johnny Dee (mutant, weird thing growing out of his chest spits out voodoo dolls of people he can control)
Jazz (mutant, only had blue skin, wasn't a very good rapper, one of the 198, killed by Johnny Dee)
Martha Johansson (that brain in a glass bowl with needles sticking out of it that hovers around the younger X-Men, has telepathy and can do "mind chaff" to cloud peoples' minds)
Absolon Mercator/Mr. M (mutant, has the power to "alter the molecular structure of anything he touches, including living beings, solid objects, and air," is listed in the 198 handbook as repairing a toaster, healing the sick, to causing a nuclear explosion with just a gesture.)
Kiden Nixon (able to stop time for everyone and everything except herself, appeared in X-23's book)
Outlaw (seriously, Jab? You missed out on Inez Temple?! Markswoman, mutant with strength and durability, a penchant for sexy leather cowgirl outfits, once held reality-warping powers, and as Domino said, "we're lucky all she wants from life is to drink and get in fights?")
Rhapsody (mutant, uses music to warp reality for effects like hallucinations, emotion control, mind control, and flying, etc)
Evangeline Whedon (shapeshifts after coming into contact with blood, once became a dragon, is a lawyer and political activist)
Eradica, Extermina, & Extirpia (three of Annihilus' queens during the Annihilation Wave, used telepathy to control and direct the Wave, could also hold their own in combat)

I can't tell, did you do the Sentinel O*N*E program where humans (and a mutant) piloted sentinels when there was only 198 mutants left?
Jabroniville

Kree Soldiers

Post by Jabroniville »

KREE SOLDIERS
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
Role: Space Mooks
PL 5 (66)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Space Soldiers) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Blasters +6 Multiattack, Rebreathers)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Blasters +4 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +0

Complications:
Responsibility (Kree Empire)
Prejudice (Skrulls, Shi'ar)- The Kree betrayed a bunch of Skrull ambassadors millennia ago, and this move of supreme dickery set off a massive war. As the OTHER great space-race, the Shi'ar also got mixed into things.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (66)

-Kree are a bit stronger and tougher than normal humans- this is the old "enhanced gravity" excuse. Blue & Pink Kree are seen- the pinks come about because of desperate "outside the species" breeding millennia ago, hoping to jumpstart their evolution again, but it just created a populous "underclass"- the Blues hold all the real power in society. Here's a common Kree Soldier. Blues & Pinks aren't REALLY that different (though Wiki says pinks are tougher), so I figured this'd do for them as Minions or supporting characters. They have a lot in common with Shi'ar as far as alien races go in Marvel- they're supposed to be SUPER-STRONG, yet I've pretty much never seen a Kree K.O. Daredevil with one punch or even lift something that heavy- it's more an implication that they're a BIT stronger than a human of comparative size.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Micronauts! Alien Races! The Kree!)

Post by Jabroniville »

So as I stated on the Discord, I've just left my local Disney Store for the last time.

I went to the West Edmonton Mall location a few weeks ago, only 4 days after the announcement of the closure. I was shocked to see it so empty- the ENTIRE back wall was cleaned out, and almost every single doll had been sold. Only the "Shelfwarmers" (Tiana, Pocahontas, Cinderella) were still there, and only on one tiny little shelf in the middle of the store. All of their mannequins and displays are down already.

Pretty stunning- they announced the closures and only 4 days later it's 30-40% empty? I should have been by earlier, but I'd already had most of what I wanted (I've been shopping regularly, even stuff I'm on the fence about, partly in anticipation of possible closures). Still, it would have been nice to see the store "in good health" one last time. This time you can tell it's in clearance mode.

The workers there told me they'd had people come all the way from B.C. & Saskatchewan to pick up stuff, as the B.C. stores were already done. Even at only a 20% discount, it's been wildly "successful" as sales go, with almost anything good gone already. Heck, they finally sold out of all their Raya and the Last Dragon dolls, which could have been major shelfwarmers!

I wasn't quite as sad as I expected to be. I guess anticipation had been there the news in April that it could close... and the store had honestly gone way downhill since 2019. The video wall being shut down actually made the place seem more dull, never mind the deliberately thinned-out crowds and how there was never anything special or unique there anymore (since there were no more limited edition stuff). So by the time I fully got the news, I had been guessing it for months, and the store hadn't been near what it was at the peak anyhow. Like it died by a thousand cuts or something.

Kind of said my goodbyes to the workers there- some of whom I've been seeing for ages. I'll probably be there a time or two before they're fully done, but they probably won't last all the way to Aug. 18th. They had a solid presence of like 7-8 people. But the DS team here is VAST- one admitted to me once there were like 50 employees at that location, though they never offer full-time. I don't even know which one was the manager (there used to be that one tall, very stoic guy who worked there, but I haven't seen him in years).

And yeah, good thing too, because less than a week later it was donezo- completely empty. They made it only a couple weeks with 20% discounts. The other location managed a bit better, but will be closing tomorrow, most likely.

Unlike many people, I never liked "online shopping"- I'm usually a homebody and work close to home, so it's nice to GET OUT sometimes, y'know? But one more Brick & Mortar is gone. And I was here A LOT. This shouldn't surprise anyone, but I usually went to the mall once a week and hit the Disney Store, often for a half an hour- checking out the new stuff, things I was on the fence about, and watching videos on their bigger screen. So now there's a major thing that could keep me from going here as often... though to be fair, I was a recurring visitor BEFORE there was a Disney Store (it opened in 2013), and could just reshuffle my routines again, as I'm wont to do (I used to go to the mall every Saturday, eat, then go to Toys R Us and such first, THEN go back to the mall). Maybe I'll go to TRU more often, I dunno.

It’s hard to remember a time when this place had a Disney Store and I almost never shopped there because I didn’t value it, lol. I didn’t actually become a full Disney fan until 8-10 years ago, maybe?

Though I probably visit malls more than just about anybody my age, lol. I just like getting out of the house once in a while!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skavenger wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:58 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:04 pm
I didn't say "worth doing," just that they're out there. :lol:

Here's a few from the top of the list I made:
I can't tell, did you do the Sentinel O*N*E program where humans (and a mutant) piloted sentinels when there was only 198 mutants left?
Okay, I'll have to look these guys up, haha. I think I mistook this Outlaw for a Punisher foe by the same name, so I never looked her up. I think Martha is in my "General X-Students" template/list, but the others are new.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:30 am Though I probably visit malls more than just about anybody my age, lol. I just like getting out of the house once in a while!
Well, keep it up and you can be one of those old folks power-walking their way through the mall, sweatsuit flapping in the A/C, sitting on the benches afterward watching "kids these days" and their newest scandalous fashion, muttering about that trash music they play over the speakers. :lol:
Doc chaos

Post by Doc chaos »

Hey, Jab I have you been picking up any new books? I got some new characters for you. Would you be interested in Children of the Atom? Gadget based kids acting like mutants, kind of like that version of the New Warriors with the villain tech.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I've long been amused by the fact that the Kree name sounds like the Cree, the indigenous American tribe.

I used to, and now once again work with someone with the surname Cree, but she's actually an Oka-band Mohawk member.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Kree Sentries

Post by Jabroniville »

KREE SENTRY
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: The Fantastic Four #64 (July 1967)
Role: Early Warning System, Kill-O-Bot
PL 10 (120)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA -- AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Expertise (Space Civiliations) 10 (+10)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 8, Startle

Powers:
"Kill-O-Bot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 11) [9]
Energy Blast 12 (Feats: Variable 2- Energy Types) [26]
"Sensory Powers" Senses 13 (Life Detection- Acute, Analytical, Radius & Ranged 2; Energy Detection- Analytical, Radius & Ranged 2) [13]

"Giant Size" Growth 4 (Str & Toughness +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Energy Blasts +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Vulnerable (Electrical & Magnetic Attacks)f

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 87 / Defenses: 9 (120)

-I've always had a fair bit of hatred for the Kree Sentries. Which is funny- they're not really CHARACTERS, and they don't do anything in the stories. But I think maybe THAT's why I hate them after all! Every "Kree Sentry" tale is identical: the heroes come across something, it comes to life as a robot, then fights them, then they destroy it or shut it down while it relays a message to its Kree superiors. And yet, every form of Marvel media seems to have to start off with a FULL EPISODE of this generic Kill-O-Bot nonsense! I've seen it in the comics, in the awful Fantastic Four anime-style series, and I've seen it in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Villains who can't think, emote, gloat or snark are pointless. The very existence of a Kree Sentry in a story almost guarantees boredom and lameness... in this sense, they're oddly prescient of Marvel's OTHER Sentry!

-The first Sentry found was #459, who fought the Fantastic Four when they interupted its monitoring of the Inhumans. This was the debut of the Kree in Marvel Comics- a NEW alien race, and counterpoint to the Skrulls. After the FF deactivate it, it is brought to Cape Canaveral, where Kree Col. Yon-Rogg turns it back on in order to fight Captain Mar-Vell. It fights Mar-Vell one more time before its reactivated (WILL SOMEONE JUST BREAK THIS GODDAMN THING?!?) by the Super-Adaptoid in the Heavy Metal arc of Roger Stern's Avengers run. Much later on, it appears in Blackwulf (a REALLY '90s-style series set in the future), where it is destroy in the series finale.

-Other Kree Sentries include #9168 (a six-foot-tall one who prevents travelers from finding the Kree city on the Blue Area of the Moon- it is destroyed via a remote destruct device), #213 (sentried on the planet Uranus, where its destruction at the hands of the Eternals led to a war with the Kree), #372 (damaged by the West Coast Avengers after fighting the Shi'ar Imperial Guard) and #571 (aided the "Lunatic Legion" of the Kree on Earth, but was destroyed by Iron Man).
Orbiter

Post by Orbiter »

First time I saw 459, he was serving as a flunky to Ronan the Accuser in an Avengers story. Ronan supplied the personality, and I liked the design on the Kree Sentry. So I liked him just fine; that's how you use "characters" like that.
Ken

Re: Kree Sentries

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:29 pm Image

KREE SENTRY

"Giant Size" Growth 4 (Str & Toughness +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]

-Other Kree Sentries include #9168 (a six-foot-tall one who prevents travelers from finding the Kree city on the Blue Area of the Moon- it is destroyed via a remote destruct device), #213 (sentried on the planet Uranus, where its destruction at the hands of the Eternals led to a war with the Kree), #372 (damaged by the West Coast Avengers after fighting the Shi'ar Imperial Guard) and #571 (aided the "Lunatic Legion" of the Kree on Earth, but was destroyed by Iron Man).
And, apparently, there's at least one that is Kaiju sized.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, I think that's from one of those "Retcon" Avengers stories that tells an old story that was previously untold. That giant version fights the Hulk.
Jabroniville

Ronan the Accuser

Post by Jabroniville »

RONAN THE ACCUSER
Created By:
Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
Role: Recurring Villain, Hammer Guy
PL 13 (211)
STRENGTH
8/12 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (History) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Kree Accuser) 10 (+13)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 10 (+12)
Investigation 6 (+8)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 2 (+12)
Technology 4 (+7)
Vehicles 5 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Assessment, Close Attack 2, Benefit 3 (Kree Supreme Accuser), Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Universal Weapon) 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown, Taunt

Powers:
"Electro-Magnetic Eye Rays" Blast 8 (Flaws: Distracting) [8]

"Accuser Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [47]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 11) (17)
Senses 2 (Darkvision) (2)
Invisibility (4)
Features: Buys off Side-Effect on Universal Weapon (27)
-- (58 points)

"Universal Weapon" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [20]
All Powers have Side-Effect: Takes Damage +15 -2)
"Create Vaccuum" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Incapacitated) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 30ft. Burst, Cumulative) Linked to Environment 2 (Impede Movement 2) (25) -- (32 points)
  • AE: Cosmic Energy Blast 14 (Feats: Penetrating 10) (17)
  • AE: "Disintegration" Blast 12 (Flaws: Limited to Objects) Linked to Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Objects +0) (8)
  • AE: "Hammer Smash" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Penetrating 8) (10)
  • AE: Transform (Machines to Machines) 7 (14)
  • AE: "Create Vortex" Move Object 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Limited to Away) (5)
  • AE: "Freeze" Snare 10 (10)
  • AE: Teleport 10 (5)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Armour +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Universal Hammer +12 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Eye Rays +12 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Cosmic Blast +12 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Disintegration +12 (+12 Ranged Damage & +10 Ranged Weaken, DC 27 & 20)
Vacuum +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Freeze +12 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8 (+14 Armour, +6 Impervious), Fortitude +8, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Kree Empire)
Relationship (Crystal)- Ronan was arranged to marry Crystal of The Inhumans to unite their two houses. Despite this marriage of convenience, the two had grown to share true feelings for each other.
Enemy (Skrulls)

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 75 / Defenses: 14 (211)

Ronan- Side-Villain to Main Eventer:
-Ronan the Accuser was a pretty simple character at first- he was just some high-level Kree goon that arrested the Fantastic Four for breaking an old Kree Sentry, promising to try them in court, and instead just having at them with his Universal Weapon. A recurring minor threat over the years, he became the toady of the Supreme Intelligence (along with being his enemy, as writers often bounced the two around, forgetting what had gone on before), feuded with the Avengers more than the FF by a certain point, and did some damage, but he was mainly still just a "Face of the Empire", and lesser than the Supreme Intelligence at that. My personal favourite Ronan moment was during The Kree/Skrull War, when he watched Vision & Scarlet Witch's interactions when trapped by his machines, then burst out laughing- "By the heavens, they are... IN LOVE!" and going on about how unlikely and impossible this was, and how it made his whole journey worthwhile. Just such a great douche moment- their pain and unlikeliness amused him.

-So over the years, Ronan tries to usurp the Supreme Intelligence, believing this non-humanoid shouldn't rule the Empire, but is later brainwashed by him. He fights Captain Mar-Vell on numerous occasions, and joins the Kree Starforce during Operation: Galactic Storm. He's a bit of a side-character, but does defeat Iron Man in solo combat- an important bit that justifies his reputation and indicates just how powerful he is. During Maximum Security, Earth is forced to serve as an intergalactic prison planet, and Ronan is declared its warden. He nearly succeeds in killing Earth's heroes by absorbing Ego the Living Planet's power, but its sapped out of him by Earth's superhero scientists (Reed/Bruce/Pym/Tony) and he's beaten and captured by the U.S.Agent. So in short, he's vaguely important, but is more of a "High-End Evil Alien" type who represents his empire in foreign and invasion-related matters, but it's a top dog himself. He at least has credibility, and isn't just some common jobber, but he does take a back seat quite often.

Ronan in Annihilation:
-This changed with Annihilation, which gave him a Limited Series (basically him landing on a planet and kicking the asses of some old unused Cosmic characters) and a big role in the Annihilation War. Ronan is thus among many characters recovered and elevated by the Annihilation series. He was used as a "Villainous Ally" of a sort- he was falsely accused of treason in the Kree Empire and forced to clear his name against a rival house that had taken over the Kree Empire. He mercy-killed the lobotomized Supreme Intelligence and was given several bad-ass moments in the story, which really upped his cred. So much so that he defeated Ravenous, the Herald of the Negative Zone, in solo combat, looking like a complete ass-kicker by smashing his Universal Weapon over the guy's head.

-Alas, Ronan was taken over by the Phalanx in Annihilation: Conquest, now serving as a goon for Ultron. In the following books, he willingly gives up the Kree Empire to Black Bolt and his Inhumans, and as part of their treaty, he is married to Crystal to unite their houses, so to speak. And here we get a bit of a thing where this big, gruff powerhouse is left kind of trying to keep Crystal, who was quite perturbed by this whole situation, happy. Crystal is quickly beloved by the people, with her good nature even rubbing off on her husband, but there's this thing where it's clear they're developing feelings for each other, but both afraid to fall too hard (Ronan is about to offer her flowers, but is hurt when he overhears her deny any affection towards him- something she's probably just saying to get an ally to stop teasing her). So now I kinda like Ronan. He's got a big, interesting visual presence, a cool weapon, and now some actual personality instead of just being a big, violent goon.

Post-Annihilation- Ronan Gets Downgraded:
-He's kinda been "Downgraded" since Annihilation pumped him up so big, though, as he was badly injured during War of Kings, at which point he gave up rulership of the Kree Empire willingly to Black Bolt & The Inhumans, and then he was the lowest-powered guy on the short-lived "Annihilators" squad of heroes, and then he's the Supreme Intelligence's stooge again. The post-Annihilation years weren't so kind- The Inhumans got a lot of use at Marvel, but Ronan & Crystal weren't part of the deal. During Infinity, he was largely a background character, but DID get the cool moment of basically going "y'know what, old man? Suck it." and smashing Supremor's stupid head in and rejecting the Kree's treaty with The Mapmakers, taking over the Kree Empire and allying them with The Avengers' forces.

-Soon after the end of Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning's run, he captures two alternate universe Reeds and combines them together to create a new Supremor. However, he's more of an also-ran in these stories, despite an appearance as a one-off villain in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Unfortunately, it was as the most-generic villain ever- a mindless extremist minion of Thanos who wanted all of Xandar (the Kree's enemies in this universe) to die. He spent 90% of his time yelling and screaming, got little characterization (despite being played by the great Lee "The Piemaker" Pace), and got vaporized by the Care Bear Stare of the assembled Guardians. It was perhaps inevitable in the film that had to introduce a disparate team of five characters would have to scrimp on characterization for the villain, but still too bad. Finally during Black Vortex, Hala is destroyed, along with the Supreme Intelligence (yes, again). Ronan is later turned into a cyborg in Death of the Inhumans, and begs Black Bolt to end his life, apologizing for the pain he's caused the Inhumans- Black Bolt accepts, whispering "You are forgiven", immolating Ronan's body. So currently the character is dead.

Ronan's Universal Might:
-Ronan is highly-powerful, very versatile, and capable of taking on just about any Marvel hero. Thankfully, there's many instances of him battling mainstream heroes, so he's not as hard to pin down as many other Cosmic-based space guys are. He's tough enough to challenge a big group of 1970s-Avengers or the Fantastic Four by himself, a fight with him and Iron Man was basically entirely in Ronan's favour, and he actually BEAT RAVENOUS, aka "Like a Herald of Galactus", albeit he was going absolutely all-out at the time.

-Ronan's got a bizarre set of powers that's all over the place, however, which makes him rather complicated. See, he's very physically tough OUTSIDE of his armor, but gets better within it. He has Eye-Beams in his base form, but more energy powers with his Universal Weapon, a big cosmic-hammer. His armour also can turn him invisible, and renders him immunet to the Weapon's ability to fry anyone who tries to use it without Accuser Armor on. I was gonna swipe Taliesin's idea of using it as a Drawback on the Weapon, but I like my way just as much: It's a Side-Effect -2 (meaning it always happens when it's used) on each Power, but the Armor buys off the Flaw's 27 points (I would house-rule/assume that this extends to all the cheaper Alt-Effects of the base power as well). There has been mention made that he can "Recreate" the Universal Weapon from his Armor, which would essentially make it a full Hard to Lose aspect of his suit, but this is both nigh-impossible to stat (Summon Weapon?) and isn't used at all anymore, so I left it out. When he broke one against Ravenous, he had another one later, but I'd assume he'd have a big backlog.

-So with the Universal Weapon, Ronan can hammer away in PL 13 melee (his preference), Disintegrate objects, transmutate machinery to his liking, or simply Blast away. However, like alot of Cosmic Guys, Ronan has a LOT of side-powers over the years, that have mostly been done away with these days (the "Annihilation" books' bios actually make mention of this- wondering why he uses a "weaker" version of what was essentially a Variable Power-Uber-Weapon). I stuck 'em in for completion's sake if you want to use his more-epic Villain Years- they allow him to Teleport, Freeze people in place, and create vortexes or vaccuums, throwing people about or sucking the air out of them. All of this combined makes Ronan a heavy-hitter, able to duke it out with Ravenous for a while (he still basically spent some HP to go Extra Effort and bust the Universal Weapon over his head), and a good team threat as well.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Micronauts! The Kree! Ronan the Accuser!)

Post by Skavenger »

Geezus, I always forget first that Death of the Inhumans even happened, then when I remember it, I remember just how much it sucked.