Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds (Brain Emperor! Primitive Fighting Games! The Micronauts!)

Post by Goldar »

Skavenger wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:29 pm
Goldar wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:24 am
Skavenger wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:24 am

On a related but completely unrelated note, one of the biggest things that upset me about Hickman taking over the X-men and rebooting everything was that we lost Gail Simone's characterization of Domino, pretty much the first time in... ... ever that I gave a darn about the character. But one thing that really struck me as interesting was that the moment Domino was presented with "Phenomenal Cosmic Power" in the form of a Celestial artifact, the words "Dark Phoenix" ran through her mind, and she rejected it in terror of what it might make her.

It'd be really interesting if they explored that aspect of Jean, have her be someone that everybody loves, but everybody is terrified of, because she symbolizes what happens when power goes unchecked (even though, yeah, it wasn't her, yadda yadda, it still had her form).
I never knew that about Domino, and I do not think they addressed that with Jean. Jean has rejected the Phoenix Force at her last return, stating she did not need it and that it was holding her back from exploring her own powers. And while Jean used to be an Omega level psychic, they have now reduced her to just being an omega level telepath.
Domino's solo title by Simone was really great, and one of the few titles from the past couple of years that keeps me from just giving up on the Big Two. It gave the character a personality beyond "badass woman with guns" and brought back some great B and C-list characters. She had a squad with Diamondback (Cap's ex) and Outlaw (the one Jab didn't know about), she trains with Shang-Chi for a bit (after meeting him after thinking he was a myth, like the Spider-Clone or "those dirty She-Hulk pics"), founds a support group for mutants whose appearances make them stand out in society, fangirls over the Black Widow ("I dressed up as her on Halloween!")...I mean, I think that's more characterization and depth in one miniseries than she had since the 90s.
Thanks for the Domino Info! That book sounded great---I may have to look it up. I like Dom training wit Shang-Chi and fan-girling over The Black Widow. i could really see her doing that, lol. It did sound like lots of fun and depth of characterization, things I like.
Jabroniville

Shatterax

Post by Jabroniville »

SHATTERAX (Roco-Bai)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Greg Capullo
First Appearance: Quasar #32 (March 1992)
Role: Jobber Villain, Secondary Kree Bad Guy
Group Affiliations: The Kree Starforce
PL 10 (161)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 3 (+5)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 6 (+7)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Translator, Kree Tech), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Cybernetic Implants"
Senses 6 (Analytical Vision, Vision Penetrates Illusion & Concealment) [6]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 5) [9]
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [2]
Blast 10 (Feats: Split) [21]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Blasts +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +11 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Kree Empire)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 10 (161)

-Shatterax is another Operation: Galactic Storm nobody created to fill out the Kree ranks, giving them more names than just Ronan. And he's basically a decent-looking generic Cyborg who challenges Iron Man for a bit, but then jumps right into the ranks of Generic Villains able to relatively tie-up the Avengers for a while, so he's not that great. He's appeared about as often as Korath (that is, hardly at all), and has largely been just a face in the background in nearly every story since his debut issue- the only fight of any significance other than the Iron Man one was when Monica Rambeau shorted him out with electricity. In Annihilation: Conquest, he was again a Filler Guy- he was mind-controlled by the Phalanx/Ultron, and never really did anything- he at least got to survive, unlike Korath.

-I figure Shatterax for a PL 9 warrior, with PL 9.5 defenses (he's quite tough). Still a Jobber, ultimately, but mainly because he routinely tangles with guys way outside his weight class.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds (Ronan the Accuser! Korath! The Supreme Intelligence!)

Post by Davies »

... I don't actually know as much about sentai as some folks here, so I'm asking rather than stating: am I imagining a sentai influence on his original design? The eyes in particular ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

Davies wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:09 am ... I don't actually know as much about sentai as some folks here, so I'm asking rather than stating: am I imagining a sentai influence on his original design? The eyes in particular ...
Its definitely giving me more Rider vibes, with the big bug eyes. Specifically Black RX, just from the size of the eyes.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yeah, I should've said "tokusatsu vibe" instead of specifying sentai. Apologies.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Doctor Minerva

Post by Jabroniville »

mmmm… blue Gemma Chan…

DOCTOR MINERVA (Minn-Erva)
Created By:
Scott Edelman & Al Milgrom
First Appearance: Captain Marvel #50 (May 1977)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Kree Empire
PL 9 (126)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 6 (+7)
Technology 4 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 10 (+14)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Treatment 6 (+7)
Perception 4 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit (Kree Geneticist Prime), Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Mutagenic Enhancements"
Power-Lifting 1 (25 tons) [1]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Protection 2 [2]

"Greater Than Normal Probability of Guessing"
Super-Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Unreliable) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 11 (126)

-Minn-Erva (*groan*...) was a Captain Mar-Vell villain, trying to actively hump him to make lots of super-Kree because of their races' faltering evolutionary state. Yeah. So she dressed up as Ms. Marvel (back when she was in Mar-Vell's type of uniform), but was a Blue Kree, and she was also a super-scientist (eventually using the same Psyche-Magnetron that empowered Carol Danvers to get powers on a similar tier). Despite pre-dating Captain Atlas by a good long while, she hooked up with him romantically in the early-90s, joining the Kree Starforce, but died alongside him during Operation: Galactic Storm- she'd taken part in the Supreme Intelligence's plan to commit racial genocide, and the mortified Atlas committed suicide, taking her with him. Through most of this, she was seen as cold and clinical.

-Despite that, both characters later reappear- it's explained that they'd faked their deaths. She shows up during the Spider-Verse story- she has a team abduct an infant NuHuman, and they're attacked by the new Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), who teams up with Spider-Man to beat them. She was attempting to use NuHumans genes to aide in Kree evolution, but when Spidey learned that her experiments were being done without being sanctioned by the Kree, he threatens to call them up- she abandons shop as a result. She then becomes a bit of a recurring foe of Carol Danvers, fittingly enough (as she's wearing Carol's old gear sometimes)- first in Civil War II (it's her experimenting on humans that leads Carol to rely on the precognitive powers of Ulysses at the heart of that story), then in Carol's most recent book, where she's badly beaten by the ACTUAL threat and requires saving.

-Dr. Minerva's basically Miss Marvel as she was back in the '70s, minus a bunch of accuracy, so she's only a PL 9 Flying Brick type with no energy blasts. She's not super-tough, but is a good enough warrior to give an Avenger pause for a while. She's very smart, but a little low in interpersonal skills, despite being able to lie her way into detonating the Shi'ar Nega-Bombs that helped wipe the Kree Empire clean.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Any idea how Minn-Erva got her powers?
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Captain Atlas

Post by Jabroniville »

CAPTAIN ATLAS (Att-Lass)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Mike Manley
First Appearance: Quasar #9 (April 1990)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Kree Empire
PL 9 (145)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Kree Soldier) 8 (+9)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 5 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Technology 5 (+6)
Vehicles 7 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit (Kree Captain), Equipment 3 (Kree Blaster +5, Serum- Turns Caucasian & Allows Breathing in Earth's Atmosphere, Translater), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Laser Blast), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Mutagenic Enhancements"
Power-Lifting 1 (25 tons) [1]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Protection 2 [2]

"Captain Uniform" (Flaws: Removable) [20]
Immunity 6 (Suffocation 2, Heat, Pressure, Vaccuum, Cold) (6)
"Wrist-Blaster" Blast 9 (Feats: Variable Descriptor- Concussive or Laser) (19)
-- (25 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Blasts +9 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +9, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 8 (145)

-Captain Atlas is another Mark Gruenwald creation, taking part in Quasar's antics as a Kree loyalist captain with some superpowers of his own. Wearing the standard Kree outfit but kinda super-ized, he was a moderate threat, but mostly kicked around Operation: Galactic Storm not doing much. In the end of the story, he committed suicide via a bomb after discovering his beloved Supreme Intelligence had deliberately wiped out a huge chunk of the Kree Empire (killing his lover Dr. Minerva upon realizing she was in on it, too). And yes, his name is really "Att-Lass", because why WOULDN'T all Kree have names that sound just like English words? This is a course a play on Mar-Vell being a variant of "Marvel"- "Atlas Comics" was Marvel's name in the 1950s.

-Then, years later, Atlas AND Minerva would return, it being revealed that they'd faked their deaths and gone into hiding. He disguises himself as Titanium Man and leads a band of Iron Man villain to steal a bunch of Stark Armor- he then teleports everyone to his base and reveals his identity, double-crossing everyone. This leads to Iron Man teaming up with his foes to beat him, and Atlas is vaporized by the Unicorn. So yeah, they revealed he wasn't dead just to have a jobber kill him, lol. Minerva has since gotten a bit of focus without him.

-Captain Atlas is no major powerhouse, but is rather expensive thanks to the pricey combo of Class 25 strength & durability alongside a decent Device, and he's a good fighter to boot. I guess being a jobber doesn't preclude you from being an expensive bugger sometimes. Deciding his EXACT strength was kinda tough, but in Galactic Storm, he can even up with Wonder Man thanks to some cheap tactics and Captain Mar-Vell's Nega-Bands, and without them, he can make Thor comment on his "Nice hook!" (though Eric wasn't exactly laid out or injured; it was more of an "owww..." kind of thing), so +10 damage will do fine.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 pm Any idea how Minn-Erva got her powers?
Huh, I actually don't know. I had to look it up on ComicvIne:
Min-Erva would spend several years stranded on Earth (snip) However Minerva had secretly discovered the Psyche-Magnetron sometime before while following all the location's on Earth that Mar-Vell had been too. This was the very same machine which had given the super-human heroine Ms.Marvel her original set of Kree genetically altered powers and than used it on herself to gain the same super Kree attributes. When she first met Att-Lass she became instantly attracted to him, possibly due to being stranded on Earth for so long without a Kree male around for companionship, and asked him to partake of the enhancement process by the Psyche-Magnetron as well.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Mar-Vell? Att-Lass? Is there a Tyme-Lee to complete the set?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Ultimus

Post by Jabroniville »

ULTIMUS (Ard-Con, aka The Demon Druid)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & John Buscema
First Appearance: Thor #209 (March 1973)
Role: Jobber Villain, Secondary Kree Bad Guy
Group Affiliations: The Kree Starforce
PL 11 (199)
STRENGTH
11 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Expertise (Eternal Warrior) 6 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 2 (+10)
Technology 2 (+6)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Translator, Kree Tech), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Kree Eternal Physiology"
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrowth) [7]
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]

"Matter Manipulation" Transform Anything to Anything 7 (Feats- Increased Mass 2- 400 lbs.) (Extras: Continuous) (44) -- [47]
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 10 (20)
  • AE: "Eye & Hand Cosmic Blasts" Blast 11 (Feats: Split) (23)
  • AE: Force Field 3 (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Impervious 5) (10)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Blasts +10 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +11 (+14 Force Field), Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 81 / Defenses: 9 (199)

-The notion of Eternals of other races really doesn't show up as often as it should- it was established in the Kirby Eternals series that Celestials created Deviant and Eternal populations on each world as part of their experiments, and later writers showed that the Skrulls were the result of a dominant Deviant offshoot (explaining their shapechanging abilities)- we didn't see an Eternal until the modern Incredible Hercules book. Ultimus is the only known example of a Kree Eternal, but wasn't explained as one until twenty years later! His backstory is a bit strange- he was left on Earth 4,000 years ago, and took the name "Demon Druid" from the local Celts, who began worshipping him. However, he was trapped in a stone prison (the captor would only be revealed in the '90s as the Deviant Tantalus) and was broken out inadvertently by Thor- Demon Druid shockingly knocked Thor out with a single energy blast and bailed, but Thor won a subsequent fight and it was learned that the guy only wanted to return home- he used Stonehenge as a launch pad into outer space.

-Demon Druid oddly reappeared only 17 years later in what was probably a fill-in Excalibur issue, as he was messing about with some tourists in the UK to take their energy to create ANOTHER launch pad to revisit his people (I'm not sure if he'd seen them in the interim). Excalibur interacts with him, and they stop the fight so they can help him. It was shortly after this that he suddenly shows up being called "Ultimus", and is recruited by the Supreme Intelligence to join the Kree Starforce. It was only here that he learned of his heritage as a Kree Eternal- a retcon explaining why he was blue and had those powers, I guess. Some later-written Handbook had to explain "Oh, he went back home but his people had vanished" because no actual writer got that part.

-However, in Operation: Galactus Storm, Ultimus takes the role of a high-tier Jobber- he attacks Hercules but is knocked out by Captain America of all people, then later Lilandra. This is a guy who drew pretty even with Thor back in the '70s, mind you. He beats Starfox once but afterwards is pretty agreeable to Lilandra, coming to the conclusion that the Kree & Shi'ar were likely manipulated into fighting by the Skrulls. When most of the Kree are wiped out, he simply accepts Shi'ar rule and becomes a recurring Starforce member- his squad is led by Deathbird a few times, then appears in the Blackwulf comic, where he learns that he was initially imprisoned on Earth by Tantalus, whose agent Schizo defeats Ultimus via reality-warping, and we never see him after he's swallowed up by the Earth. The character hasn't been seen since the 1990s, not even showing up during Annihilation.

-Ultimus is the only-known Kree Eternal, and has the same sort of powers that Earth, Titanian and Skrull Eternals do- Cosmic Blasts, Flight, Regeneration and other powers. He's PL 10.5-ish, being more powerful than a standard Earth hero, but not by much.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Korath was based on the Pursuer http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/pursuer.htm a cockroach transformed into a humanoid by Korath to fight the Inhumans in the 70s Inhuman title.

As for Minn-Erva, in Amazing Spider-Man "vol.4" #8, it was shown that she used Inhuman DNA that she had previously harvested to alter her own DNA.

And as for Carol Danvers being half Kree, I dislike that retcon for a number of raisins
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidney369 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:59 am Korath was based on the Pursuer http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/pursuer.htm a cockroach transformed into a humanoid by Korath to fight the Inhumans in the 70s Inhuman title.

As for Minn-Erva, in Amazing Spider-Man "vol.4" #8, it was shown that she used Inhuman DNA that she had previously harvested to alter her own DNA.

And as for Carol Danvers being half Kree, I dislike that retcon for a number of raisins
Oh, THAT'S where that weird picture came from. I was looking at Korath pics and I was like "what the heck is that one with a bug-face?".
Ian Turner

Re: Ultimus

Post by Ian Turner »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:42 am -Ultimus is the only-known Kree Eternal, and has the same sort of powers that Earth, Titanian and Skrull Eternals do- Cosmic Blasts, Flight, Regeneration and other powers. He's PL 10.5-ish, being more powerful than a standard Earth hero, but not by much.
I vaguely (and perhaps incorrectly...) recall it actually being a big deal that the Kree couldn't have mutants because the Celestials *hadn't* visited their homeworld back in the day, so they had to experiment on other races to develop superhumans (as they did when they created the Inhumans, on Earth).

So, there shouldn't be any Kree Eternals (or Deviants), either.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Ronan the Accuser! Supremor! Dr. Minerva! Ultimus!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Alright, so with the Kree all posted, I can hit the other Alien Races, which will quickly segue into the REST of Marvel's Cosmic/Space heroes.