Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Doodlebug

Post by Jabroniville »

DOODLEBUG (Daedalus Boch)
Created By:
Dan Slott & Arif S. Kinchen
First Appearance: Arkham Asylum- Living Hell #1 (2003)
Role: One-Off Villain
Group Affiliations: None

-A one-off psycho for a mini-series (which had a lot of one-off goons- this guy and Great White Shark are the only ones of note), Doodlebug is an artist who paints with blood. His name and style are reminiscent of other artists (visually he looks like Jean-Michel Basquiat- a revered modern artist who died of a drug overdose decades ago; his name is similar to Hieronomous Bosch). He paints pieces based off of things he sees in visions, and mocks Arkham's revolving door policy through his work. He bribes a guard to give him more freedom, which allows him to trade a shiny object to Magpie for sex. He dies in the book's finale, summoning a demon with his own blood.
brothersale

Re: Doodlebug

Post by brothersale »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:16 am Image

DOODLEBUG (Daedalus Boch)
Created By:
Dan Slott & Arif S. Kinchen
First Appearance: Arkham Asylum- Living Hell #1 (2003)
Role: One-Off Villain

-A one-off psycho for a mini-series (which had a lot of one-off goons- this guy and Great White Shark are the only ones of note), Doodlebug is an artist who paints with blood. His name and style are reminiscent of other artists (visually he looks like Jean-Michel Basquiat- a revered modern artist who died of a drug overdose decades ago; his name is similar to Hieronomous Bosch). He paints pieces based off of things he sees in visions, and mocks Arkham's revolving door policy through his work. He bribes a guard to give him more freedom, which allows him to trade a shiny object to Magpie for sex. He dies in the book's finale, summoning a demon with his own blood.
The character was also used along with Junkyard Dog as one of the foes in the animated Beware the Batman‎ series
Jabroniville

The Getaway Genius

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GETAWAY GENIUS (Roy Reynolds)
Created By:
Gardner Fox & Sheldon Moldoff
First Appearance: Batman #170 (March 1965)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Mental Problems: Greed
PL 7 (99)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+9)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+9)
Insight 5 (+8)
Perception 8 (+11)
Technology 4 (+8)
Vehicles 6 (+11)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment 6 (Vehicles, Guns & Stuff), Evasion, Improved Defenses, Ranged Attack 3, Second Chance (Being Captured), Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Fast Runner" Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Guns +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Batman)
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 16 (99)

-This forgotten villain debuted in the mid-1960s with the concept of being... well, a genius at getaways. Reasoning that Batman & Robin were unbeatable, he focused instead on foolproof escape routes- he developed gimmicks that would stall the heroes while he & his gang escaped. The heroes only captured him by tricking his henchmen into thinking they were helpless, pretending that a villain known as the "Hexer" had made it so their costumes were altered to expand and restrain them- the henchmen moved in to kill the "helpless" heroes and were captured, even though their boss was wise to them and ran. The heroes then learned of the location of his hideout and arrested him.

-The Getaway Genius reappeared a few months later, broken out of jail by The Big Game Hunter, who held him hostage for info on capturing Batman. The Genius was only too happy to be rescued by Batman, willingly going with him when the Hunter was beaten. He repaid Batman months later when he foiled a massive villain plot by Joker, Penguin, Catwoman & others, rigging a trap door to rescue Batman. He reappeared a few years later as a generic criminal- he again escaped Batman, but Kirk Langsrom, now in control of his "Man-Bat" form, forced down his getaway vehicle (a helicopter) and brought him to Batman. Ten years later, he appears as part of a huge gathering of villains who plan to kill Batman before new villain Killer Croc can (the villain had boasted that he was going to do it in twenty-four hours). He chased after Talia al-Ghul when she refused to be part of the plan, and later lured Batman to a factory, where he, Catman, Tweedledee & Tweedledum planned on jumping him. However, Killer Croc learned of the plan from the Joker, and beat the Genius and twins half to death.

-The character then vanished for literally decades, showing up only when Dick Grayson & Damian Wayne were the Dynamic Duo- he escaped the heroes once again. Damian berated Dick for this, but Dick explained that Batman once let the Genius go because he was stealing medicine that would let him live to see his daughter grow up. Um... okay.

-The Getaway Genius is a rather focused character- being a crook and thief by trade, but specializing in avoiding capture. He has just enough Technology skill to build stuff, good Defensive Advantages, and enough foot-speed to get away. The trick with him is that he's always got fallback plans- enough so that even BATMAN has trouble getting a bead on him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds (Tarantula II! The Penguin! Kite Man!)

Post by Davies »

<takes notes>
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

The Snowman

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SNOWMAN (Klaus Kristin)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gerry Conway
First Appearance: Batman #337 (July 1981)
Role: Half-Yeti, Forgotten Villain
PL 8 (139)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 4/8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+13)
Expertise (Skier) 9 (+9)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"HIS MOM BANGED A YETI"
Enhanced Strength 6 [12]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Arctic) [2]
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
Environment 4 (Cold 2, Visibility 2) [16]
"Freeze Solid" Snare 8 [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Needs the Cold)- Klaus will die if he’s not kept cold frequently.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 66 / Defenses: 10 (139)

-One of Batman's more insane villains, The Snowman was born because a U.N. explorer was rescued from an avalanche by an Abominable Snowman, which SHE THEN BANGED, producing an albino son named Klaus. She did not realize her lover's nature until the next morning, apparently, and returned to the civilized world mentally broken, only able to utter the word "yeti" until she eventually died. Raised by his aunt, Klaus became an Olympic medal-winning skier. However, he eventually discovered that he could become an icy figure called "The Snowman" who radiates cold, causing anyone nearby to be frozen solid. Now forced to live in cold climates, Klaus has to constantly travel for eight months of the year, eating all his money, and also wanted money to pay for his own treatment. So he decides to use his powers to steal. Batman investigates, discovering Klaus's backstory. The Snowman is blinded by a flaregun and falls off the side of a cliff. Klaus manages to survive, and flees to the Himalayas to be with his father.

-Many years later, he is encountered once more- Batman hears rumors of a Yeti meeting Klaus's description, and investigates. There, Batman ends up fighting both Klaus and his father. Alas, it's discovered that Klaus was now suffering due to his hybrid nature, and had only left to find peace before his death.

-The Snowman has ape-like strength, creates large areas of cold, and can ensare others in snow & ice.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Penguin! Kite Man! The Snowman!)

Post by Davies »

Note: His final appearance comes in Detective 522, about a year and a half after his first.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: The Getaway Genius

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:29 pm Image

THE GETAWAY GENIUS (Roy Reynolds)
Created By:
Gardner Fox & Sheldon Moldoff
First Appearance: Batman #170 (March 1965)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Mental Problems: Greed

-The Getaway Genius is a rather focused character- being a crook and thief by trade, but specializing in avoiding capture. He has just enough Technology skill to build stuff, good Defensive Advantages, and enough foot-speed to get away. The trick with him is that he's always got fallback plans- enough so that even BATMAN has trouble getting a bead on him.
This was the kind of character I brought up recently when I talked about Batman villains and Golden Age villains like the Gambler: a guy who is absolutely no threat to Batman in any combat context, but is just a hard person to catch. The challenge is in the chase, not the fight. We need more villains like this.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Batman tends to have villains fall into two camps like that guy

either phsysical threats like Bane or Croc or Mr Freeze or Shiva who are dangerous enough that batman has to really work or think to beat them

or mental threats like Riddler, or Getaway orTetch that batman has to outthink at an even greater level.

the Joker is the rare double threat that batmans has to be careful of physically and be on his toes mentally.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Metalhead

Post by Jabroniville »

METALHEAD (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Doug Moench & Jim Aparo
First Appearance: Batman #486 (Nov. 1992)
Role: Jobber Villain, One-Off Foe

-Metalhead is just a generic goon of Black Mask's- Batman encounters him while searching for the crimeboss. Exhausted, Batman finds a bunch of taverns with mauled, bloody inhabitants, and searches out the mystery assailant, who then attacks. Metalhead was beaten after a bloody fight, and Robin had to help Batman return home. This was his only appearance- a classic "One-Off" story- possibly a fill-in by Moench. In any case, he looks INCREDIBLY stupid- like someone took a G.I. Joe Firefly figure, painted him black, then stuck nails all over his face and body, then put on a giant bladed braid on his head. Like some kind of weird overdone attempt to make something look '90s and cool.

-Metalhead is probably a PL 8-ish guy or whatever. He really only gets into that one fight and it's only close because Batman is tired.
Jabroniville

Anthony Lupus

Post by Jabroniville »

ANTHONY LUPUS
Created By:
Len Wein & Neal Adams
First Appearance: Batman #255 (April 1974)
Role: Tragic Character

-... huh. I did not know that Batman: The Animated Series episode was based off of a real comic. It's pretty much the same story- an Olympic athlete manipulated by Professor Milo and transformed into a werewolf. This guy is named Anthony LUPUS, though- not Anthony Romulus. And here it's a guy with a dormant gene for "clinical lycanthropy" who seeks help for his migraines. Milo gives him a serum that has the DNA of an Alaskan timberwolf in it, but the DNA triggers Anthony's complete shift, and he becomes a wolf-man. Milo promises to cure him so long as he kills Batman for him, and Lupus nearly does so- they fight savagely, and Batman has to put him in the way of a lightning bolt. Batman assumes Anthony to have died, but he instead secretly moves to Alaska. Unable to control his rampages, he spends all his time in isolation, hunting animals. Batman, upon learning that Anthony's sister is dying and needs a bone-marrow transplant, learns of Anthony's survival and goes to Alaska, capturing him in a silver net and getting him to agree to return to Gotham, where they try to work on his condition. I have no idea what happened after that.
Davies

Post by Davies »

That's where the story of this particular character ends, but Tom King used a version of him in his run on Batman annnnnd that's all I'm gonna say about that because otherwise I'll probably start swearing.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Davies wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:36 am That's where the story of this particular character ends, but Tom King used a version of him in his run on Batman annnnnd that's all I'm gonna say about that because otherwise I'll probably start swearing.
That's usually the case when Tom King gets involved with something.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Clayface (Golden Age)

Post by Jabroniville »

CLAYFACE I (Basil Karlo)- Golden Age
Created By:
Bill Finger & Bob Kane
First Appearance: Detective Comics #40 (June 1940)
Role: Movie Star
Mental Problems: Jealousy of Others
Group Affiliations: The Mud Pack, The Secret Society of Super-Villains, The Injustice League
PL 6 (73)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Acting) 3 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment (Knives & Such)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Knife +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Batman)
Motivation (Jealousy)- Enraged when he is passed over for a movie role he'd once played, Karlo decides the answer must be MURDER.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (73)

-The Golden Age Clayface made only two appearances, but his name and concept have lived on ages past him- there have now been EIGHT Clayfaces in the pages of DC's comics! The original debuted in 1940- movie star Basil Karlo (likely swiping the names of Basil Rathbone and Boris Karloff... and then I read a note where Bob Kane explicitly states that they were the inspiration) was mostly in B-movies and horror features, and decided to disguise himself as one of the villains he'd played. He had been driven insane upon learning that there was a remake of a classic movie he'd starred in (yes, people were bitching about remakes in the 1940s, too), and that another actor had been cast in the role he'd originally played. Dressing up as "Clayface", he begins killing the actors playing characters he'd killed in the original, in the order and manner they died in that film. He then attempts to kill the "Clayface" performer, but is beaten by Batman & Robin. He later reappears targeting Bruce Wayne's fiancée, Julie Madison, but is again beaten. The same character with the same name appears in the Silver Age, meaning there's an Earth-One and Earth-Two version of the character.

-The Golden Age Clayface has no powers- he's just an actor turned to murder. And I made him a pretty solid fighter, but still only PL 5.5 or so- once Batman catches him, he's done.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Clayface (Basil Karlo)

Post by Jabroniville »

CLAYFACE I (Basil Karlo)- Modern Age
Created By:
Bill Finger & Bob Kane
First Appearance: Detective Comics #40 (June 1940)
Role: Movie Star
Mental Problems: Jealousy of Others
Group Affiliations: The Mud Pack, The Secret Society of Super-Villains, The Injustice League
PL 10 (204)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+10)
Close Combat (Body Weaponry) 2 (+10)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Acting) 3 (+7)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Perception 2 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Body Weaponry), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Body of Clay"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 8 [8]
Regeneration 6 (Feats: Regrow Parts) [7]
Elongation 2 [2]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling, Slithering) [4]
Insubstantial 1 (Feats: Selective) [6]
Morph 3 (Humanoids) [15]
Immunity 40 (Slashing, Piercing & Bludgeoning Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [20]

"Suffocating Snare" Affliction 8 (Strength & Fort; Hindered, Vulnerable & Dazed/Prone, Defenseless & Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach) (Extras: Concentration, Extra Condition +2) (33) -- [34]
  • AE: "Body Weaponry" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach 2, Penetrating 6) (11)
  • AE: "Firing Weapons" Blast 10 (Feats: Split) (Diminished Range -1) (20)
  • AE: Snare 9 (Feats: Tether) (Diminished Range -1) (27)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Body Weaponry +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Firing Weapons +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Snare +9 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Suffocating Snare +8 (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (Batman)
Motivation (Jealousy)- Enraged when he is passed over for a movie role he'd once played, Karlo decides the answer must be MURDER.
Vulnerable (Ice & Water)- Certain elements can cause Karlo problems- he can be frozen indefinitely, and water may dissolve some of his molecules.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 126 / Defenses: 9 (204)

-A Clayface with the same name appears in the Silver Age, meaning there's an Earth-One and Earth-Two version of the character. However, he is quickly replaced by Matt Hagen, the new Clayface. Post-Crisis, he reappears and gathers all the living Clayfaces (there were since more) to become the "Mud Pack", eventually injecting himself with blood samples from the others so that he can shapeshift, too, becoming "The Ultimate Clayface", lashing out at the heroes and ultimately melting into the Earth's crust when he loses control of his powers.

-The "Clayface" character in Batman: The Animated Series gives him a new lease on life- that one is named Matt Hagen, but is a movie star like Basil. This Hagen had been deformed in a car accident, and was growing addicted to a "Re-Nu You" supply of face-shifting clay produced by evil pharmacist Roland Daggett. Given an overdose by criminals he'd owed, he turned into a mutated monster. This proved popular enough that Karlo showed up many more times in the comics, once fighting Poison Ivy during No Man's Land, and then trying to absorb Wonder Woman (as she herself was formed from clay). He absorbs some of her powers, but she & Donna Troy team up to throw him through a centrifuge in a train car they'd lassoed, ultimately separating his two clay components and de-powering him. He reappears in the New 52 era, and is pretty much the standard Clayface now.

-So Basil Karlo has gone from a regular-ol' actor to the Clayface of Batman: The Animated Series- a powerful shapeshifter with great stats. While PL 10 isn't quite the most great of shakes, being +10/+10 in a world of lightly-built martial artists is pretty scary.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RainOnTheSun

Re: The Snowman

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:11 pm Image
Hey, what's Simon Williams doing here?

The story about Batman letting the Getaway Genius steal medicine to save his life... kind of works? I mean, it would work for Spider-Man, or the X-Men, or somebody else who traditionally does not have a lot of social/financial power, but I'd think the richest and most influential man in Gotham City could arrange some sort of longer-term solution to this problem.