Jab’s Builds! (Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man! Metroid!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Clayface (Williams)

Post by Jabroniville »

CLAYFACE VIII (Johnny Williams)
Created By:
A.J. Lieberman & Javier Piña
First Appearance: Batman- Gotham Knights #60 (Feb. 2005)
Role: Legacy Villain
Mental Problems: Hatred of Woman (Todd preys upon prostitutes for some reason)
Group Affiliations: N/A

-Only three years after the debut of the seventh Clayface comes the EIGHTH, which might be a record for most legacy characters in DC. He looks pretty much like Batman: TAS Clayface, but is a former firefighter who was transformed into a clay-like creature by an explosion at a chemical plant. Man, that's a LOT of people gaining similar powers in different ways. He discovers his powers by accidentally killing a prostitute- distraught, he attempts to take his own life, but is found and manipulated by Hush and the Riddler, who get him to do their bidding by promising to cure him. It is HIM who is used as the "Red Herring" in Hush, as he disguises himself as an adult Jason Todd to fool Batman into thinking his old sidekick has returned from the dead (hilariously buggering things up when DC decided to do just that a short time later). Eventually realizing he's being used, and is in fact dying, Johnny sides with Batman, ensuring his family is taken care of- he dies heroically, also saving Alfred Pennyworth from a murder charge.

-This Clayface seems to have the shapeshifting powers of Karlo/Hagen, but I have no idea how good a fighter he was.
Arcae

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Penguin! Kite Man! Snowman! Clayface I-IV!)

Post by Arcae »

Uh, so was Cassius the one that inspired that episode of The New Batman Adventures where Clayface reabsorb a piece of himself who gained sentience?
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Penguin! Kite Man! Snowman! Clayface I-IV!)

Post by Davies »

Arcae wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:11 pm Uh, so was Cassius the one that inspired that episode of The New Batman Adventures where Clayface reabsorb a piece of himself who gained sentience?
I don't think so ... while he first appears as an actual character as opposed to a babe in arms (Batman #550, January 1998) shortly before "Growing Pains" aired (February 28, 1998), that's too close for the former to have influenced the latter, and most of his significant appearances come after that.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Penguin! Kite Man! Snowman! Clayface I-VIII!)

Post by Skavenger »

I had to go back and research to remember which one it was, it appears Batman made Basil Karlo part of the "Bat-Family" for a while there, and since Karlo was tired of losing all the time as a villain, he wound up joining the Bat-squad. This lasted for a bit until Hugo Strange attacked Gotham with his new Monster Men serum, during the fight (where Clayface was responsible for saving hundreds of lives by splitting himself apart into a squad of fake cops to help evacuate people), he wound up infected with the serum, turned into a huge monster that destroyed part of Gotham, and was thought "killed" by Batwoman with a special bullet that she shot him with. It caused the rift of the Gotham Knights crew, but Karlo was actually cured and decided to go spend the rest of his days in peace without letting anybody know he was alive.
Jabroniville

Egghead

Post by Jabroniville »

EGGHEAD (Edger Heed)
Created By:
Batman's TV Writers, Vincent Price
First Appearance: Batman (1960s TV Series)
Role: Gimmick User
Mental Problems: Greed
Group Affiliations: Team w/ Olga
PL 8 (104)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+10)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Gimmicked Eggs" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [21]
"Stinking Egg Bomb" Dazzle Scent 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (Diminished Range -1) (31) -- (34 points)
  • AE: "Laughing Gas Egg" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed & Hindered/Stunned & Defenseless/Incapacitated) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Extra Condition) (Diminished Range -1) (23)
  • AE: "Tear Gas Egg" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed & Vision Impaired/Stunned & Vision Disabled/Incapacitated & Vision Unaware) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Extra Condition) (Diminished Range -1) (23)
  • AE: "Radar Egg" Damage 8 (Feats: Triggered- 6-Foot Proximity) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (17)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gas Eggs +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Radar Egg +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Batman)
Motivation (Greed)
Responsibility (Huge Ego)- Egghead thinks of himself a genius, to the point where he has his assistant write every word he says in a book called "How To Be A Better Criminal".

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 11 (104)

-The campy 1960s Batman series gave us a handful of original baddies, largely as "Stunt Hires" with famous actors. A big one was Egghead, played by Vincent Price. Named for his bald head and egg-themed gimmick weapons, he was a standard-issue greedy bad guy who loved his deathtraps and horrible puns ("egg-zactly!"). In his debut, he worked with Chief Screaming Chicken of the Mohican Indian (... heh-heh... hehhhh...) to revert control of Gotham to the Chief's people, allowing him to govern the city and let criminality reign, but the Chief soon finds he's been led astray, and the "poor redskin" (quote Batman) was being manipulated by Egghead based off of resentment from how he'd been treated, and was subsequently forgiven by the people of Gotham. Later, he met Miss Bacon of the Bessarovian Cossacks and they became a duo thereafter.

-Egghead is a poor fighter, but a solid Gimmick-User- he wields a variety of eggs that can explode or produce noxious gases. His Tear Gas Egg comes from chickens fed only a diet of onions, because this show was AMAZING. Also at one point he had a "Thought Transferer", which he was attempting to use to deduce the identity of Batman. Like most Bat-Villains, he used henchmen, like Miss Bacon, Benedict and Foo Yung (god I loved this show). Like most foes from the TV show he's a paltry melee fighter- '60s Adam West Batman is likely only PL 8 at best, so a PL 5-6 main villain and his henchmen are still a bit tricky to defeat.
Jabroniville

King Tut

Post by Jabroniville »

KING TUT (William Omaha McElroy)
Created By:
Batman's TV Writers, Victor Buono
First Appearance: Batman (1960s TV Series)
Role: Injured Professor
Mental Problems: Delusional (Believes himself to be King Tut)
Group Affiliations: N/A
PL 5 (64)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+8)
Expertise (History) 8 (+12)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+6)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Batman)
Motivation (Ruling Gotham)
Responsibility (Delusion)- King Tut was a normal scholar, but actually believes he is the reincarnation of the real King Tut, and wishes to rule "Thebes" (Gotham).

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (64)

-The most recurring of the villains made up exclusively for the 1960s Batman show, King Tut was actually a highly-regarded Professor of Egyptology who had been struck during a student protest that got violent- a flung rock hit is head, and when he regained consciousness, he believed that he was the reincarnation of King Tutankhamun, and that Gotham City was the ancient city of Thebes. And so he made repeated attempts to rule Gotham, viewing Batman & Robin as meddling rebels. After appearing in each of the show's three seasons, he managed to find the Batcave while digging tunnels through the Gotham countryside! Figuring out Batman's secret identity, he seemed to have the heroes over a fire, but thankfully Batman used Batnesia Gas kept for just such an occasion, making all of his minions forget what they'd seen- Tut himself set off a tunnel collapse, and when the heroes dug him out, he had returned to his old self, remembering nothing of his criminal career!

-Tut was fairly memorable, and if he wasn't the property of Fox, I'd have liked to see him in the comics. He befits an actor who's a Large Ham (though that's pretty redundant on THIS show- I think Cesar Romero was the most reserved bad guy in the show!), what with going wildly from joy, to anger, to bereft sadness in an instant.

-King Tut wasn't one of the show's tougher villains- he's a scholar and a kook, but his henchmen admit he comes up with good plans, involving mind control, hypnosis and hostage-taking.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Snowman! Clayface I-VIII! Egghead! King Tut!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ps I find it funny that Batman villains either have bios that are 1-2 lines for goofs, a paragraph or two for other goofs, Joker-tier essays for big names… or Joker-tier essays for absolute nobodies I’ve never heard of. Like, the kind of people who write a new paragraph for every X-Man after every X-Event somehow write bios of E-tier characters that consist of doctoral theses about like… The Spook or some shit.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

I think they did eventually introduce a "King Tut" into the comic books. I have a vague memory of there being a two-part storyline where Batman teams up with the Riddler, who was furious that "King Tut" was breaking into his riddle schtick.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yep, Victor Goodman (named for Victor Buono) was the villain of a three part Batman Confidential storyline in 2009. Before him, there was also "Pharaoh Khafre", a quite similar "professor who thinks he's a pharaoh" character who was a one-off villain back in 1981.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Johnny Witts

Post by Jabroniville »

JOHNNY WITTS
Created By:
Gardner Fox & Sheldon Moldoff
First Appearance: Detective Comics #344 (Oct. 1965)
Role: Clever Mob Boss
Group Affiliations: None

-Johnny Witts was a kind of clever idea- a basic crook whose gimmick was that he was always one step ahead of Batman himself. He had lured Batman to his home using a suspicious-looking old lady who was always offering the Dynamic Duo apples- when Batman dangled from a rope outside his window, Johnny had one of his men cut the rope from the roof. Batman survived, and followed the same old lady to Johnny's hideout, which Johnny ALSO anticipated- he removed the Bat-Tracer on his agent earlier in they day, so the police couldn't follow her there and back Batman up. Except Batman had this time anticipated HIM, and put a tracer on himself, bringing in the police anyhow- Johnny was arrested.

-He showed up a while later as "The Swami", pretending to "forsee" how and when Batman would try to stop him- he prepared crimes to lure Batman to him, and captured the Caped Crusader. Putting Batman in a huge deathtrap, he revealed his identity and left, all "LOL of course he's doomed", and naturally was shocked to find Batman had escaped- he was soon arrested. He reappeared less than a year later as part of a new group formed by the Penguin to take down a new gang that was in town, including The Joker, Catwoman, the Mad Hatter, Cluemaster, and the Getaway Genius. Humorously, these villains then began SAVING Batman from the syndicate's traps.

-Johnny actually remained at large, but appeared in the Super Friends book. He and some allies disguised as the Super Friends, using this to try and trick the Wonder Twins. Disguised as Batman, he suggested to Wendy & Marvin they should go to Batman's place to have dinner, hoping to trail them and find out Batman's secret identity (damn, that's actually pretty clever). But the Twins had noticed the lifts in Johnny's boots to make him seem Batman's height, and so set a trap for him instead- they lured him to Superman.

-Johnny is more of a generic crook, but more clever than the usual ones, with the ability to plan ahead and foil Batman. However, he always gets overconfident, ending up getting fooled by the hero.
Jabroniville

Killer Croc

Post by Jabroniville »

KILLER CROC (Waylon Jones)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Batman #357 (March 1983)
Role: Big Gruff Powerhouse, The Freak
Mental Problems: Foolishness, Greed
PL 10 (113)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+12)
Deception 6 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 12 (+11)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Underwater), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Takedown, Tracking

Powers:
"Circus Freak- Resembles a Crocodilian"
"Reptilian Scales" Impervious Toughness 3 [3]
Leaping 1 [1]
Regeneration 2 [2]

"Semi-Aquatic"
Swimming 4 (8 mph) [4]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Immunity 2 (Drowning, Heat) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Bite +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Greed, Respect)- After a lifetime of bullying thanks to his appearance, Croc has grown into a brutish man who tries to beat people into respecting him.
Enemy (Batman)
Prejudice (Freak)- Croc frequently looks scaly or flat-out reptilian.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 15 (113)

Killer Croc- Elite Menace to Jobber To The Stars:
-Killer Croc has always occupied a bit of an odd place among Bat-Villains- he was often just a deformed criminal, often with average intelligence, but then other writers turn him into a slobbering monster who looks more like Marvel's Lizard. He initially had the real-life skin condition Epidermolytic hyperkeratosis, but naturally got comic-booked until he looked like he had crocodilian scales. He was a frequent juvenile offender, raised by an alcoholic aunt, and served 18 years in prison for murdering a fellow inmate for mocking his appearance. He got out and began wrestling alligators (and winning) for a local circus, soon realizing that his near-superhuman strength would make for a great criminal. He began scheming and forcing his way into to various crime circles, including shooting his former boss. He announced to the mob leaders that he was their new boss, but they rebuffed him, even when he claimed to have drowned Batman- discovering they were still loyal to the jailed Tony Falco, Croc broke into his jail cell and ripped him apart.

-Even worse, when Batman & Robin involved Joe & Trina Todd in a church protection racket, he had them tail Croc- an act which got them killed. Commissioner Gordon, not realizing the familial connection, lectured the boy for his stupidity- "We can only hope they were already dead when he threw them to his friends below. YOU brought them into this, Robin. It's on YOUR HEAD." Finally, after several fights ended in draws or escapes, there was a final battle when the Joker's supervillain army captured Batman, Catwoman & Talia- Croc demanded Batman be let free and they battle "man to man" for the lives of his ladyfriends. This time, Batman finally scored the win. But it was a phyrric victory, as a young Jason Todd soon discovered his parents had been murdered, and came to live at Wayne Manor.

Croc Turns JTTS:
-Despite this big origin story and status as a recurring menace that was hard to defeat, Croc soon ended up on the list of "Background Baddies"- he was a minor threat as a minion of Ra's al-Ghul, being beaten by a gas pellet. Batman once nearly paralyzed Croc for life using a nerve gas as a last resort after Croc blew up thirty people with a bomb. In one story, he'd been "adopted" by a makeshift homeless family after escaping Arkham- he and Batman risk their lives to save his surrogate mother, and he's believed to have died in the flood. Later, he became delusional while stumbling about Gotham's alleyways- his rampage drew in Jean-Paul Valley as "Batman", but Valley's ribs were broken- Croc then has his arms broken by new villain Bane, who left as quickly as he arrived.

-Around this time, the character got reinvented in Batman: The Animated Series, where he was a crafty, if simple-minded, foe, going from a physical threat to Batman to a bit of a doofus. This isn't entirely his fault, as the iconic "I threw a ROCK at 'im" line actually comes from Batman IMITATING Croc. He was mostly a similar character however, but the comics went back and forth on just how monstrous he was- at one point, he nearly joined Swamp Thing thanks to a mutual link to "The Green", but left when the creature struck him to teach him a lesson. He went back and forth to Arkham and wasn't really focused on again, but reappears in Hush having been given a virus that causes him to "devolve" even more (translation: Jim Lee wanted to draw him as a Reptile-Man), a form that stuck for a bit. After that he's largely just been a goon in other stories- he was used by Black Mask once, then feuded with Victory Zsasz after the serial killer crippled a guy in Croc's gang... but he's really just a "filler" guy. Curiously, his status as a guy who murdered the parents of Jason Todd (currently a big deal at DC) almost always goes unremarked-upon- he's often either a Marvel-style "Sympathetic Freak" or a mere monster- rarely as calculating a menace any longer.

Killer Croc's Stats:
-Killer Croc is always an interesting character to stat out, as his primary threat to Batman is that he's one of very few enemies in his Rogues Gallery who's flat-out STRONGER than Batman is. Like, a fight between them is an uphill battle against a monstrous, super-strong foe. And given how M&M kind of rewards more damaging & tougher characters slightly using the rules, I think making Croc a PL 9.5 brawler against the PL 9-11 Bat-Crew actually somewhat reflects this. Eventually, Batman has learned to beat Croc, usually with gear or by tossing him off of something, but it's always a tricky grappling match at first, as Croc isn't exactly slow- just unrefined. His Mental Abilities are unimpressive, but he's still a tad clever. Back in the day he was more prone to finding actual gangs to follow him, and even schemed once in a while, but struggled to earn respect without shows of force.

-Croc was notably one of the most wildly-inaccurate builds when Green Ronin did a DCA book series- for whatever reason, it was determined that he needed ST 12 and to be EXTREMELY high-level, which was just insane. Croc can lift nowhere near 100 tons. It's like either the builder didn't know that, or DC Editorial swooped in like "No- Croc needs to be X strong".
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds (Clayface I-VIII! Egghead! King Tut! Killer Croc!)

Post by Shock »

Croc has some great animated series episodes. There was the one where he hooks up with the retired circus freak show crew and the one where he teams up with Baby Doll.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Clayface I-VIII! Egghead! King Tut! Killer Croc!)

Post by Ares »

Killer Croc was interesting, since I first discovered him early on when he was actually a scheming mob boss type who also happened to be ridiculously strong and durable. In some ways he was like an up and coming Kingpin with lizard skin. But then his intelligence got downgraded and he became more of a straight up thug for hire.

And I agree, Croc is nowhere near Str 12. At best, Croc is in the Spider-Man level of strength, but he almost never operates on that level. He's much more in the "Barely Superhuman" strength range, which is kind of a problem, really. A clever crime boss with low superhuman stats and a unique skin condition would make for a GREAT Batman villain, akin to Blockbuster from the Nightwing books. But making Croc just a thug with those stats somewhat lessens his threat, as he shouldn't be that much of a threat to Bruce if his relatively low level abilities are all he's relying on. To be a consistent threat, he either needs his brains back, or he should maybe be more like Early Luke Cage levels of strong and durable, where he's actually a problem to handle.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Re: Egghead

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:24 am -The campy 1960s Batman series gave us a handful of original baddies, largely as "Stunt Hires" with famous actors. A big one was Egghead, played by Vincent Price. Named for his bald head and egg-themed gimmick weapons, he was a standard-issue greedy bad guy who loved his deathtraps and horrible puns ("egg-zactly!"). In his debut, he worked with Chief Screaming Chicken of the Mohican Indian (... heh-heh... hehhhh...) to revert control of Gotham to the Chief's people, allowing him to govern the city and let criminality reign, but the Chief soon finds he's been led astray, and the "poor redskin" (quote Batman) was being manipulated by Egghead based off of resentment from how he'd been treated, and was subsequently forgiven by the people of Gotham. Later, he met Miss Bacon of the Bessarovian Cossacks and they became a duo thereafter.
Correction: Miss Bacon was Egghead's aide-de-camp in the Chief Screaming Chicken case, and is in the second picture above with her steno pad.

It was Olga, Queen of the Bessarovian Cossacks (played by Anne Baxter, who also played Zelda the Great) that Egghead took up with later; in what was a three-parter during the final "Batgirl" season, but was split into 2 and 1 for whatever reason.

I believe that it was because of Vincent Price's performance that a villain who only appeared in 5 half-hour segments is remembered well today.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: King Tut

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:39 am KING TUT (William Omaha McElroy)
Created By:
Batman's TV Writers, Victor Buono

-The most recurring of the villains made up exclusively for the 1960s Batman show, King Tut was actually a highly-regarded Professor of Egyptology who had been struck during a student protest that got violent- a flung rock hit is head, and when he regained consciousness, he believed that he was the reincarnation of King Tutankhamun, and that Gotham City was the ancient city of Thebes. And so he made repeated attempts to rule Gotham, viewing Batman & Robin as meddling rebels. After appearing in each of the show's three seasons, he managed to find the Batcave while digging tunnels through the Gotham countryside! Figuring out Batman's secret identity, he seemed to have the heroes over a fire, but thankfully Batman used Batnesia Gas kept for just such an occasion, making all of his minions forget what they'd seen- Tut himself set off a tunnel collapse, and when the heroes dug him out, he had returned to his old self, remembering nothing of his criminal career!

-Tut was fairly memorable, and if he wasn't the property of Fox, I'd have liked to see him in the comics. He befits an actor who's a Large Ham (though that's pretty redundant on THIS show- I think Cesar Romero was the most reserved bad guy in the show!), what with going wildly from joy, to anger, to bereft sadness in an instant.

-King Tut wasn't one of the show's tougher villains- he's a scholar and a kook, but his henchmen admit he comes up with good plans, involving mind control, hypnosis and hostage-taking.
Robert C. Dennis & Earl Barret wrote the first two Tut story arcs. But damn, I gotta say that a lot of what made Tut Tut was Victor Buono. Yes, he was a Large Ham. In fact he was an over-sized Large Ham. But he was AWESOME!!!

The show's producer and narrator William Dozier's full name is William McElroy Dozier. He was born in Omaha, Nebraska. And that's where Tut's real name came from.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.