Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Golden Age Cavalier

Post by Jabroniville »

CAVALIER I (Mortimer Drake)- Golden Age
Created By:
Don Cameron & Bob Kane
First Appearance: Detective Comics #81 (Nov. 1943)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Sword +3, Steel-Tipped Dart on Hat- Blast 3), Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Specialized Rapier" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [8]
Electric Blast 6 (12) -- (13 points)
  • AE: "Sword Stab" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Steel-Tipped Dart +8 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Electrical Blast +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The Cavalier steals to keep up his collection of weird objects.
Responsibility (Gallantry)- The Cavalier operates under a strict code of gallantry, and will even stop crimes or escapes in the middle so that he can help a woman in need.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 11 (91)

-The original Cavalier is actually a Golden Age villain- a man of "exotic and idiosyncratic taste". Unable to afford the more bizarre valuables for his collection, he became a thief, acting as a macho swordsman with a "Code of Gallantry", such as never harming a woman. Batman & Robin defeat him, but he becomes a recurring foe, doing things like helping an old woman carry her groceries in the middle of an escape. Eventually he was imprisoned when Batman figured out his identity.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Modern Cavalier

Post by Jabroniville »

CAVALIER I (Mortimer Drake)- Modern
Created By:
Don Cameron & Bob Kane
First Appearance: Detective Comics #81 (Nov. 1943)
Group Affiliations: The Secret Society of Super-Villains
PL 7 (91)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Sword +3, Steel-Tipped Dart on Hat- Blast 3), Improved Critical, Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Specialized Rapier" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [8]
Electric Blast 6 (12) -- (13 points)
  • AE: "Sword Stab" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (4)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Steel-Tipped Dart +8 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Electrical Blast +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The Cavalier steals to keep up his collection of weird objects.
Responsibility (Gallantry)- The Cavalier operates under a strict code of gallantry, and will even stop crimes or escapes in the middle so that he can help a woman in need.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 11 (91)

-The character returned on Earth-One, teaming up with Killer Moth against Batwoman & Batgirl- here, the villain uncharacteristically went "the devil with gallantry" and punched Batgirl with an enclosed fist. He & Killer Moth were befuddled a few times- at one point, Cavalier ended up following Robin to the "Batcave", finding a large nest- the idiot concluded that Robin was in fact an alien bird. After this, he has no credibility- he does stuff like jobbing to Blue Beetle easily in JLA and being one-offed by Batman during Knightfall. Apparently he had gone insane and was now kept in Arkham. A later issue showed him in a closeted gay relationship with Captain Stingaree. He had his back broken by Bane in Secret Six, but other comics completely ignored that, as he became a bodyguard for Leslie Thompkins in many Bat-Books around the same time. Hilariously, he was so disposable that Gail Simone apparently thought he was "Free" for maiming while someone else made him more of a good guy at the same time!

-The Cavalier operates as a PL 7 Swordfighter- an easy Speedbump for any superhero.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Orca! Two-Face! Maxie Zeus! Cassandra Cain!)

Post by Ares »

I kind of like the Cavalier, owing to my love of swashbuckling films. He seems more like a fun, gentleman thief type who really isn't interested in hurting anyone too seriously. Which might be why he gets maimed so often. Can't have any fun in modern comics.

One thing I definitely do in my own setting is give European fencers the same kind of potential comic book katana wielders seem to get, being able to do things like deflect bullets or the like.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Cavalier (Hudson Pyle)

Post by Jabroniville »

CAVALIER II (Hudson Pyle)
Created By:
James Robinson & Tim Sale
First Appearance: Batman- Legends of the Dark Knight #32 (June 1992)

-Inexplicably, James Robinson created a "Retcon Cavalier" in 1992, with a different guy being a Cavalier back early in Batman's career, suggesting this could in fact be the first one now. DC is confusing that way. This one is an ex-Hollywood stuntman searching for fame, and so becomes a superhero of sorts. Handsome, charming and quick-witted, he quickly becomes popular- a rival of sorts for fellow Gotham hero Batman. However, this Cavalier is in love with a woman who is being blackmailed by gangsters, and so ends up committing burglaries are on their behalf. This loses him the confidence of the people, even after he kills the gangsters. Batman fights him, even though he's been injured in a previous battle, and is defeated- disgusted with himself, the Cavalier charges into a group of armed police officers, and is gunned down. "Suicide by Cop". The "New 52" version of the Cavalier dresses like this guy did, and was killed on his first mission as part of the Suicide Squad.
Jabroniville

Anarky

Post by Jabroniville »

"We don't have any conclusive evidence, but Alan and I can't help but feel that Anarky's philosophy grated on somebody's nerves; somebody got a look at it and didn't like it [...] So I've generally gotten the impression that Anarky was nixed because of its philosophy. Especially in this age of post 9/11, Anarky would be a challenge to established authority. He's very anti-establishment, that's why he's named Anarky!"
-Norm Breyfogle

ANARKY (Lonnie Machin, aka Moneyspider)
Created By:
Alan Grant & Norm Breyfogle
First Appearance: Detective Comics #608 (Nov. 1989)
Role: First Year College Student Who Thinks He Knows Everything, Political Villain, Villain Who Thinks He's Right
PL 9 (140)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Activist) 9 (+12)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Investigation 6 (+10)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Stealth 3 (+8)
Technology 7 (+10)
Technology +6 (+16) -- Flaws: Limited to Computers
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Roll, Equipment 8 (Anarchist Stuff), Evasion, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6, Ultimate Activist Skill, Uncanny Dodge

Equipment:
"Mortar Bombs" Blast 7 (Area- 30ft. Burst) (21)
"Shocker Cane" Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (6)
"Cane Shot" Strength-Damage +2 (Reach) (3)
"Flare-Guns" Dazzle Visuals 8 (Area- 30ft. Burst) (24)
"Swing-Line" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Cane +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Mortar Bombs +7 Area (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Flare-Guns +8 Area (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Shocker Cane +12 (+6 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +13

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Anti-State Activism)- Lonnie believes that governments and corporations have degraded much of the world, and fights against things like militarism, economic inequality and corruption. He's also an environmentalist, debuting attacking a company for pollution within Gotham.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 66--32 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (140)

-Anarky is a very weird sort of character- he combines the "Villain Who Thinks He's Right" thing with youthful rebellion, and various creators have tried REALLY HARD to make him a thing, but it's never quite taken for various reasons. He's sort of a kid version of the villains of Avatar: The Legend of Korra's 1st & 3rd seasons, but done worse. A child prodigy wearing a garish yellow & red costume with a golden mask (artist Norm Breyfogle was told to emulate both V from V For Vendetta and the Black Spy from Spy vs. Spy, giving us the musketeer-looking masked character), Anarky states radical philosophies and desires to bring down all government institutions. Of course, in REAL LIFE, anarchy always turning into military warlords taking control, making "I'm an Anarchist" the most classic "19-Year Old in Their First Year of College" thing in the world. Like a solid IDEA, but just utterly stupid and ineffectual in real life- power vacuums always invite such things. That writer Alan Grant based him off of his own interest in anti-statist writing just made the guy come off like a total doofus whenever I read about him, however- nothing cries "cringy" like someone attempting to push their own politics through their writing. That said, Grant himself had moved on in his politics, so the character's stuff was more ABOUT that than a real screed in favor of it, apparently.

-Anarky, being young, kind of exemplifies the philosophy, however, going off against real-world bad things like political corruption, economic inequality, and militarism. He uses destructive terrorism against a local Gotham polluter, giving us a "Villain With Good Intentions" bit, and Batman unmasks him, revealing an unusually-bright twelve-year old. Grant had wanted Anarky to come off like the popular Chopper in Judge Dredd, and was thinking this could potentially be the new Robin (Jason Todd had recently died). The character proved popular enough to show up after his debut (where he was supposed to be a one-off), and this led to an Anarky Limited Series in 1997, based around the "Neo-Tech" philosophy, related to Objectivism (which is now an open joke on the internet).

-The high sales and critical reception of that then led to an ONGOING (Breyfogle begged Grant to do it, as he was struggling to find work at the time)... but the 1999 Anarky solo book failed on both of those measures, killing off the character. It lasted a mere eight issues, Grant himself disavowed it, and the character vanished. As Grant's "baby", nobody else had an interest in the guy, and artist Breyfogle claims it's related to censorship (lol, like a 5th-tier Batman antagonist can't find a solo book because of CENSORSHIP? Really?), but he was chosen at random to be the signature villain of the 2013 Beware the Batman show (which made an effort to use only "lesser known" Bat-characters instead of popular ones... naturally, the show died a very, very quick death). Fabian Nicieza also chose Anarky to be the main villain of the 2008 Red Robin series until the book's cancellation. Here, Lonnie was kidnapped by Ulysses "The General" Armstrong, who had replaced him as "Anarky". Lonnie himself was connected to a computer and interacted with the world that way, calling himself "Moneyspider"- this was mostly so Nicieza could write an immature villainous Anarky while still respecting the original character. However, this appearance met with dissatisfaction, judging by Wikipedia's classical "Some believed that--"-style wording, including by Grant himself. Christopher Yost, who took over the book, didn't use either character, but Nicieza found himself back on it, once more making them major factors. Then the "New 52" happened and killed the whole deal.

-Initially, Anarky used low-tech stuff like flare guns, swing lines and throwing stars- he was more ingenious and clever than a powerhouse, making do with the body of a twelve-year old in a world of adults. He was also a master hacker, able to give himself finances by stealing it from others' bank records. The Anarky solo book led to him first getting a "Biofeedback Device" to let him learn things faster than was normal, then "fusing" the hemispheres of his brain, giving him a kind of super-intelligence- he creates an onboard computer and invents a Boom Tube-like device. Wikipedia naturally details the sniping between fans and creators as to whether or not this "overpowered" Anarky and helped ruin the series by making it now too surreal and wrecking suspension of disbelief.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Two-Face! Maxie Zeus! Batgirl III! Cavalier!)

Post by Ares »

Oh Lord, this dingus.

Anarky is one of those guys I just can't figure out how they ever got a solo series. The character wasn't very popular, his philosophy falls apart if you give it even the slightest critical thinking, and the idea that this guy was ROBIN material is just baffling. Anarky really is the embodiment of some college kid who thinks he's figured the world out after one Philosophy 101 course.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds (Two-Face! Maxie Zeus! Batgirl III! Cavalier!)

Post by Skavenger »

Ares wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:42 pm Oh Lord, this dingus.

Anarky is one of those guys I just can't figure out how they ever got a solo series. The character wasn't very popular, his philosophy falls apart if you give it even the slightest critical thinking, and the idea that this guy was ROBIN material is just baffling. Anarky really is the embodiment of some college kid who thinks he's figured the world out after one Philosophy 101 course.
I think there's merit in the idea that there's somebody who looks at Gotham City and goes "okay, clearly this city has failed somewhere along the lines of its development, better to just burn down the whole system that allows people like Joker to run around and for rich businessmen like Bruce Wayne to maintain the 1% and keep everybody else poor, and start over."

Just...not how it was done.
Horsenhero

Re: Jab’s Builds (Maxie Zeus! Batgirl III! Cavalier! Anarky!)

Post by Horsenhero »

Honestly, Gotham is the ideal breeding ground for characters like Anarky. The whole place is a mess, combining the worst aspects of elite privilege (and the line between wealthy businessman and wealthy crimelord in Gotham is mighty fine), police state and failed state. Having Anarky be young and idealistic was probably a strike against the character as were his costumes. His look changed slightly on a regular basis, but a more vicious political anarchist would be a better sell. I mean, sure burning it all down runs the risk of a more dictatorial city regime rising in place of what's there, but things also could get better. I mean during Batman's career Gotham has gotten worse, not better, so Batman, Commissioner Gordon, the Bat-Family have all been unequivocal failures, so why wouldn't someone want to blow up the entire power structure and start over? It's not the concept of Anarky that's without merit as a character, it's the execution.
Jabroniville

The Mime

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MIME (Camilla Orton)
Created By:
Dave Cockrum & Don Heck
First Appearance: Batman #412 (Oct. 1987)

-The Mime is another weird one. She has a HILARIOUS origin story, though- she was a rich heiress who led a touring mime group because she hated her father's noisy line of work (he ran a fireworks company). They died in a fireworks accident, leaving her to use her inheritance on the troupe... which left her penniless. This of course led her to super-villainy, in which she attempted to bring silence to Gotham City for good. Thusly, she vandalized church bells and heavy metal concerts. Once, she shot a cabbie for honking his horn at her, and was able to escape Batman by putting on an "innocent face" and shocking him with electric gloves when he showed mercy. Finally, when she attacked the band "Twisted Blister", she was confronted by Batman & Robin- she attacked Robin with an electric guitar, but Robin caused huge feedback to burst from it, thus of course defeating the Mime WITH NOISE. Naturally she was created in 19... 87!?! She's an EIGHTIES character!?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Horsenhero wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:40 am Honestly, Gotham is the ideal breeding ground for characters like Anarky. The whole place is a mess, combining the worst aspects of elite privilege (and the line between wealthy businessman and wealthy crimelord in Gotham is mighty fine), police state and failed state. Having Anarky be young and idealistic was probably a strike against the character as were his costumes. His look changed slightly on a regular basis, but a more vicious political anarchist would be a better sell. I mean, sure burning it all down runs the risk of a more dictatorial city regime rising in place of what's there, but things also could get better. I mean during Batman's career Gotham has gotten worse, not better, so Batman, Commissioner Gordon, the Bat-Family have all been unequivocal failures, so why wouldn't someone want to blow up the entire power structure and start over? It's not the concept of Anarky that's without merit as a character, it's the execution.
Yeah, a character like him makes a fine antagonist. Even a potential Master Villain! But the fact that his creators clearly agreed with his politics and the fact that they gave him the "Jesus Push" in his own book just killed the whole deal. Naturally it could ONLY be editorial hating the character because of his threatening beliefs holding him down, haha.

Good to see you around again!
Jabroniville

The Black & White Bandit

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BLACK & WHITE BANDIT (Roscoe Chiara)
Created By:
Dave Gibbons
First Appearance: Batman- Gotham Knights #12 (Feb. 2001)

-A one-off villain, Roscoe Chiara was given some untested paints by Winsor Munsell, the head of a chemical corporation- Winsor wanted to test out the new paints, and hired Roscoe to paint his portrait. However, the paints gave Roscoe a headache, and he awoke to find he was color-blind. Furious at seeing a world in black & white, he became the Black & White Bandit, stealing Winsor's art collection. Batman one-punched him, and that was it for the crook.

-The Black & White Bandit was a disguise artist of sorta, and once escaped Batman by spraying him with black ink.
Skavenger

Re: The Mime

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:23 am Image

THE MIME (Camilla Orton)
Created By:
Dave Cockrum & Don Heck
First Appearance: Batman #412 (Oct. 1987)

-The Mime is another weird one. She has a HILARIOUS origin story, though- she was a rich heiress who led a touring mime group because she hated her father's noisy line of work (he ran a fireworks company). They died in a fireworks accident, leaving her to use her inheritance on the troupe... which left her penniless. This of course led her to super-villainy, in which she attempted to bring silence to Gotham City for good. Thusly, she vandalized church bells and heavy metal concerts. Once, she shot a cabbie for honking his horn at her, and was able to escape Batman by putting on an "innocent face" and shocking him with electric gloves when he showed mercy. Finally, when she attacked the band "Twisted Blister", she was confronted by Batman & Robin- she attacked Robin with an electric guitar, but Robin caused huge feedback to burst from it, thus of course defeating the Mime WITH NOISE. Naturally she was created in 19... 87!?! She's an EIGHTIES character!?
I'm not going to lie, I love the Mime. She's great, for a specific definition of "great." She's the perfect blend of the traditional wacky silver age villain that DC was used to making, and the gritty, modern villain. The fact she never killed anybody, but used shock gloves and had a streamlined quasi-punk look shows the shift DC was making at the time, and I love it. Plus, the fact that when Batman first catches her and she acts terrified, he just offers her a hand, he isn't just going to punch someone in clown make-up (even though that should be his reaction by that point). But I also love that not only was Twisted Blister performing heavy metal versions of "The Sound Of Silence" by Simon and Garfunkel DECADES before Disturbed did it, but once the band starts up again and the Mime is being taken away, Batman wonders if they actually did the world good by stopping her from silencing the band.
Davies

Re: The Mime

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:23 am Image

THE MIME (Camilla Orton)
In addition to her original comic book appearance, she also shows up as a supporting character in "The Sound of One Hand Clapping", a short story by Max Allan Collins in The Further Adventures of Batman, a prose anthology that came out in 1989. After that, she disappeared for fourteen years before making a brief cameo in Arkham Asylum: Living Hell.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Ratcatcher

Post by Jabroniville »

RATCATCHER (Otis Flannegan)
Created By:
John Wagner & Norm Breyfogle
First Appearance: Detective Comics #585 (April 1988)
PL 6 (81)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Exterminator) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Tunneller) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Ratcatching Gear), Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Talks to Rats"
Comprehend 1 (Animals) (Flaws: Limited to Rodents) [1]

Equipment:
"Ratcatching Gear" (Snare, Gas Mask, Traps)
"Rat Poison" Weaken Strength 6 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud) (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Rat Poison +6 Area (+6 Weaken, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 10 (81)

-Ratcatcher is a forgettable Bat-Rogue who went from catching rats to communicating with them, using them to plague Gotham after he was arrested for stabbing a man in a street fight. When he was released from jail, he kidnapped the four officials who had him arrested, keeping them in a hideout beneath the sewers for five years, torturing them (jesus, that's dark). One of the men escaped, and was killed by the rats as he fled, his body being found by Batman. Batman got rid of all the rats and beat Ratcatcher, but during his trial he managed to escape using a flute to control more rats via a high-pitched frequence. He fought Dick Grayson (then acting as Batman) and again lost. Later, he was being protected by Gotham's homeless community- however, one of the men was an OMAC in hiding. The OMAC activated itself and identified Ratcatcher as a threat, vaporizing him.

-Ratcatcher isn't much of a threat at all, but his knowledge of Gotham City's sewer system is more advanced than even Batman's.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Of course, Ratcatcher just reminds me of the Rat King.