Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Professor Pyg

Post by Jabroniville »

PROFESSOR PYG (Lazlo Valentin)
Created By:
Grant Morrison & Andy Kubert
First Appearance: Batman #666 (July 2007)
Role: Disturbing Serial Killer
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (112)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+12)
Intimidation 12 (+12)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Treatment 8 (+12)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment (Cleavers +2- Split), Improved Critical (Cleaver), Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Ultimate Treatment Skill

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Cleavers +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (112)

-Professor Pyg is the newest of Batman's Rogues Gallery to actually be developed into something- he showed up as a corpse in an alternate reality, but he was re-used by Grant Morrison, his creator, a couple years later. An insane biochemist, Lazlo Valentin suffered a schizophrenic breakdown due to working on a project for his bosses- that led him to wear a disturbing pig mask (one of those things I always associated with perverse fetishism or violence, possibly owing to some weird movie I once saw on The Showcase Revue one time...) and kidnap people, surgically augmenting them into mind-controlled "Dollotrons" that do his bidding. Morrison took the name "Professor Pig" from the song Pygmalism by Momus and Kahimi Karie; the name "Pyg" is also being shorthand for "Pygmalion", the Ancient Greek sculptor who fell in love with his own creation (as Pyg does for his Dollotrons). He is defeated in his first mainstream appearance, and later gets his origin explained.

-The character seems to appear far more frequently in the "New 52" era, mostly written by Morrison. He also shows up in the 2012 Beware the Batman cartoon and the wildly popular Arkham video game series, creating more cultural cache than most newbie Bat-Villains. The sight of a horror movie villain with a bloody butcher's smock running around going "EEEEEEEEE!!!!" and "SQUEEEEEEEEE!!!" is just too much disturbing imagery to pass up.

-A big, fat crazy guy, Professor Pyg is not a solo threat to Batman, but he and his horrifying Dollotrons (people with surgically-bestowed Raggedy-Ann faces) are more of an intimidating group that engages in maiming on a grand scale. Like a lot of Bat-Foes, the trick here is figuring out the scheme and finding where they are.
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds (Maxie Zeus! Batgirl III! Cavalier! Anarky!)

Post by Shock »

Are Minions just implied for most villains? Should they be allocated for someone like Pyg who's schtick focuses on them more than most?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ratcatcher had a nice showing in the new Suicide Squad movie his daughter taking his place
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ken

Post by Ken »

In the right hands, Pyg looks like he might be interesting. Too bad all of the correct hands are attached to writers who have retired or died.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Circus of the Strange

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CIRCUS OF THE STRANGE
Created By:
Grant Morrison & Andy Kubert
Role: Gross Circus Freakshow

-The Circus of the Strange were the creations of Professor Pyg, meant to be his minions. They included a lot of grotesque "Circus Freak" designs, including the Fat Lady (Big Top), conjoined siblings (Siam, who was actually TRIPLETS fused together), a guy on fire (Phosphorus Rex), and a toad man (Mister Toad).
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Ratcatcher

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:29 am Image

RATCATCHER (Otis Flannegan)
Created By:
John Wagner & Norm Breyfogle
First Appearance: Detective Comics #585 (April 1988)
Role: Jobber Villain
Three things:

1) Ratcatcher would actually make a decent Pulp era hero name, especially during the age of gangsters. I think Darkwing Duck's motorcycle was called The Ratcatcher.

2) Ratcatcher would make a solid Gruenwald -style character to explain things about Gotham. Like Ratcatcher makes money hiring himself out to other criminals to guide them through the sewers, and gets paid to keep the rats out of their lairs.

3) How is he using a flute through a gas mask in that first picture? He isn't lifting the mask up or anything, you can tell by his hair line.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:06 pm Are Minions just implied for most villains? Should they be allocated for someone like Pyg who's schtick focuses on them more than most?
Kind of- I usually leave it blank because they ALWAYS have minions and not really many rules for how many you can have. I left the Circus of the Strange as a separate thing anyhow :).
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Horsenhero wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:40 am Honestly, Gotham is the ideal breeding ground for characters like Anarky. The whole place is a mess, combining the worst aspects of elite privilege (and the line between wealthy businessman and wealthy crimelord in Gotham is mighty fine), police state and failed state. Having Anarky be young and idealistic was probably a strike against the character as were his costumes. His look changed slightly on a regular basis, but a more vicious political anarchist would be a better sell. I mean, sure burning it all down runs the risk of a more dictatorial city regime rising in place of what's there, but things also could get better. I mean during Batman's career Gotham has gotten worse, not better, so Batman, Commissioner Gordon, the Bat-Family have all been unequivocal failures, so why wouldn't someone want to blow up the entire power structure and start over? It's not the concept of Anarky that's without merit as a character, it's the execution.
Anarky in the Arkham games took a bit of a lesson from this. Still a teenager, but less flowing robes and more "street chic". I do kind of get where he's coming from though... when he put that bomb at a bank, it was because the bank was essentially stealing money from the people banking with them, and then hitting them up for outrageous fees. If Batman actually went after one of these criminals for once instead of punching the poor people who can't get any work except as henchmen...
Jabroniville

Doctor Double X

Post by Jabroniville »

DOCTOR DOUBLE X (Simon Ecks)
Created By:
Dave Wood & Sheldon Moldoff
First Appearance: Detective Comics #261 (Nov. 1958)
Role: Jobber Villain, Mad Scientist
PL 8 (157)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 1 (+1)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Flight 8 (120 mph) [16]
Electrical Blast 8 [16]
Insubstantial 4 [20]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Electrical Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Involuntary Transformation (Dormant)- Doctor Double X needs regular infusions of electricity or he will disappear, lying dormant in the body of Dr. Ecks.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 10 (157)

---

DOCTOR X (Simon Ecks)
Created By:
Dave Wood & Sheldon Moldoff
First Appearance: Detective Comics #261 (Nov. 1958)
Role: Jobber Villain, Mad Scientist
PL 6 (83)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 1 (+1)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ranged Attack 3

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Involuntary Transformation (Dormant)- Doctor Double X needs regular infusions of electricity or he will disappear, lying dormant in the body of Dr. Ecks.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (83)

-Doctor Double X is a magnificently-stupid Silver Age foe who tragically never got any play later- this is the kind of guy Marvel would be bringing out all the time these days as a "silly villain". Simon Ecks (hah) is a scientist who discovers that human auras could be "enhanced" to function outside of the body- he thus creates an energy-duplicate of himself. However, the introverted scientist's will becomes dominated by that of his doppelganger, dubbed "Double X". Naturally, as Dr. Double X, he becomes a super-villain, acting on repressed negative emotions. The innocent "Dr. X", as he's called, has no recollection of the crimes he's forced to commit.

-Doctors X & Double X return five years later, with the original now also being evil. They team up against Batman, who, because Silver Age, makes his OWN energy duplicate, named Double Batman, to even the odds. Doctor X was imprisoned, but Dr. Double X sprung him. They thought they captured Batman, but he'd tricked them- it was merely a robotic duplicate! Doctor Double X was imprisoned, while Simon Ecks lost his memory of his scentific AND criminal careers. Years later, he returned, but Batman again made an energy duplicate to beat him. He is apparently a recurring foe for ages, but eventually disappears- I imagine him a poor fit for the "Dark Knight" stuff post-Adams. He is merely a backgrounder in other stuff, and fights Wally "Flash" West one time. Much later, both of his bodies are shot dead by an unknown criminal during a time when Bane takes over Gotham City.
Davies

Re: Jab’s Builds (Batgirl III! Anarky! Professor Pyg! Dr. Double X!)

Post by Davies »

It might be interesting to bring this guy back and use him as a ersatz-Stand-user.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

It's interesting how over time the doc starts to see the duplicate as a friend/brother in addition to being a partner in crime. But yeah, as a Flying Brick/Blaster combo, even a PL 8 one, Double X is a pretty nasty foe for the Batman of that era to face. He also appeared in the Brave and the Bold cartoon (which is where I know him from) to face Batman and Firestorm, though the duo were a lot more argumentative in that version.
Ken

Post by Ken »

If there was ever a villain who needed to be gender swapped, it is Doctor Double-X.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:23 pm If there was ever a villain who needed to be gender swapped, it is Doctor Double-X.
Granted, if they did that, they'd probably make her Doctor Double-D. Or give her the ability to split into three forms so you'd get Dr. X, Dr. XX then Dr. XXX.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Flamingo

Post by Jabroniville »

FLAMINGO (Eduardo Flamingo)
Created By:
Grant Morrison
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Circus of Strange

-Flamingo is a Grant Morrison creation- a flamboyant assassin meant to act as an "Evil Zorro". He was an enemy of the mob who was captured and brainwashed, becoming a maniacal serial killer who eats the faces of his victims. He killed his entire family and began selling his services- he was naturally sent after Batman & Robin, then the Red Hood. He injured the Hood, but his ally Scarlet slashed his face and the Hood drove a bulldozer into Flamingo, then buried him under rubble, possibly killing him. There was no body found, and he has not reappeared.

-Flamingo was a good enough villain to defeat Red Hood & Scarlet at once, and hold his own against the Dynamic Duo as well. HE used chain whips and sub-machine guns.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woo! Finally only about a week left of Batman builds :). I mostly built stuff alongside doing this set because spending all this time on one character is a bit much even for me, but I'm looking forward to finally posting some of the other things I was working on. November is really gonna be a month of Fighting Games for the most part, starting off with Guilty Gear.