Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

-Okay, so talking about James Cameron's Avatar is a funny sort of thing, because the perception NOW is much different than it was THEN. When the movie was first released, the one-in-a-million effects and oustanding visual design blew minds, and Cameron's name drew them to the theater. And so people came in DROVES- the movie unseated his previous film, Titanic, as the all-time moneymaker, creating a record which stood until Avengers: Endgame, which required the full force of 20+ Marvel Cinematic Universe movies behind it to equal it.

Yet today, the movie is almost completely forgotten, even made fun of.

My Initial Comments (in Feb. 2010!):
-Okay, "Avatar" is a pretty seriously bad-ass movie. You wouldn't think something that essentially borrows from every other piece of fiction ever, using zillions of well-established and often-dead Tropes (Seducing the Chief's Daughter, White Dude Meets the Natives and Becomes Their Leader, Searching for Unobtainium- and they ACTUALLY CALL IT THAT, Taming the Legendary Monster, Becoming One of the Tribe, Environmentalism, etc.) would be so awesome, but it's said that everything steals from stuff- all that matters is how well you use it. Look at "Star Wars"- that movie stole from as many things as "Avatar" did, so you know they're in good company.
Wow, I was uh, a bit less wordy back then. In any case, I dug it, promptly made builds... and then forgot about the movie like everyone else did. Cameron has been working on sequels for YEARS, literally since the last one, but has delved into his own "No- it has to be PERFECT" mentality, leaving Disney and others frustrated because of course Disney spent bajillions on their massive "Pandora" expansion at their Animal Kingdom theme park, and now there's no promised sequels to hype them. But that stuff IS enormously popular over there, particularly "Flight of Passage" which puts you in the mind of a Na'vi as it flies a Banshee across the vast coastline and cave systems of Pandora.

The movie itself... well, it's largely a collection of old tropes. I enjoyed it at the time, but haven't ever had the desire to watch it again. It's just about a white guy who comes to an alien world in flux- humans have invaded and are farming "Unobtainium" (yes, really). This brings them into conflict with the natives- huge blue creatures called Na'vi. The humans are in two groups- marines who squabble with the Na'vi, and human scientists and researchers who try to work WITH them. There's an uneasy peace, as the scientists create "Avatars", transferring their minds into Na'vi grown in a lab, in order to better communicate with them. Jake Sully's a crippled marine whose brother was one of the scientists, but he died- Jake is thus a "match" for his Avatar, and joins it to help.

So of course the usual stuff happens- Jake interacts with a sexy blue giantess named Neytiri, quickly falling for her, as the old "Chief's Daughter" trope demands. “Right from the beginning I said, ‘She’s got to have tits'. Even though that makes no sense because her race, the Na’vi, aren’t placental mammals.”, said James Cameron. A Playboy Magazine interview shared "Cameron’s CGI team devised a way to animate Neytiri’s necklace so her breasts were always on show, but her nipples would still be covered. “We had a shot in which Neytiri falls into a specific position, and because she is lit by orange firelight, it lights up the nipples,” he said. “That was good, except we’re going for a PG-13 rating, so we wound up having to fix it. We’ll have to put it on the special edition DVD; it will be a collector’s item”.

So Jake quickly becomes conflicted- though he's with the researchers, he's more loyal to the marines, sharing their background. He feeds them info on the Na'vi. He & Neytiri fall for each other as he learns the Na'vi way (using their mental links to animals to form a partnership with his own Ikran- a flying monster), eventually siding with them... but watches as the marines destroy the Home Tree and kill hundreds, including Neytiri's father. Jake, desiring to make things right, engages in an ancient prophecy/story, linking to an even LARGER flying monster, which bands the various Na'vi tribes together, and they beat the marines once and for all. His human form dies, and the Na'vi successfully do a ceremony that permanently bonds his spirit to his Avatar, which opens its eyes as the movie ends.
Skavenger

Re: Spite

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:10 am Image

YUP- '90s.

SPITE
Created By:
John Francis Moore & Steve Epting
First Appearance: X-Men Unlimited #12 (Sept. 1996)
Role: Suddenly-Introduced Sibling, Nightmare's Sister

-haha, okay, so apparently D’Spayre has a sister we've never heard about, and never really showed up again! Weird AND stupid! She debuted in X-Men Unlimited (a book that replaced the "Annuals", ie. "Filler stories by writers we don't care about"). She fought her brother a thousand years ago, and was banished to Cyttorak's realm, where she became his servant. When Onslaught sent the Juggernaut to the same realm, she was instructed to bring him to her master. However, she betrayed him and was seemingly eaten by Cyttorak. The next year in a Juggernaut one-off, she showed up in New Mexico, convincing Juggernaut to help her fight D'Spayre to swipe some of her brother's "Magical Reserves". The battle reinvigorated Juggy's fading powers (he was emboldened upon hearing Spite's tale of sibling rivalry, comparing it to his own), and a gleeful, flirtatious Spite kissed him before flying away. Two appearances in seven months, and she has never appeared again, despite many D’Spayre appearances since.

-Spite is a demon of vague power, able to cast illusions.
I remember really liking that Juggernaut single issue back in the day, 17 year old me loved the fact that Juggernaut would flip his lid over being accused of drinking "lite beer," the banter between Cain and D'Spayre was rather fun, and the single page where D'Spayre essentially flays all the skin off Juggernaut leaving a rage-powered skeleton was neat, in a 90s way.

But yeah, you'd think the sibling of a frequent "emotion demon" that Marvel keeps pulling out for events would get more screen time.
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Honey Badger! James Cameron’s Avatar!)

Post by Shock »

I hated Avatar when it came out. Went to see it in 3D and the glasses gave me a headache. Obviously people who have to wear glasses were not considered as adding the 3D glasses made everything out of focus. Without the gimmick of 3D, it was a movie with a dumb plot and mediocre action.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

my First viewing of Avatar was on Imax it was a visually stunning affair thats for sure, I wont call it the greatest but i do have a bit of a soft spot for it in sci fi terms

lots of Starfinder and other scifi rpg potential
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Jake Sully

Post by Jabroniville »

JAKE SULLY
Role:
The Main Hero, Mighty Whitey
PL 8 (142)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 8 (+9)
Expertise (Marine) 9 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+8, +9 Size)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 6 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+8, +6 Size)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit (Sacred to Eywa), Equipment 7 (Giant Bow +7), Improved Hold, Luck, Ranged Attack 5, Teamwork

Powers:
"Na'vi Hybrid Physiology"
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Jungles of Pandora) [2]

"Tsahaylu- Spinal Link" Comprehend 2 (Speak to Animals, Plants) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) [1]

Equipment:
"Giant Bow"
"Huge Arrow" Blast 7 Linked to Weaken Strength 6 (Extras: Progressive +2) (Power Loss- Must Damage With Bow -2) (30)
"Swing With Bow" Strength-Damage +1 (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Swing With Bow +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Giant Bow & Arrow +9 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Neytiri)- Jake has a thing for giant blue ladies (WEIRDO), and quickly falls for Neytiri, attempting to help her out, then defending her people against his own kind.
Responsibility (Outsider)- Jake was born human, and isn't trusted by many Na'vi. It doesn't help that his former allies killed hundreds of them.
Disabled (Crippled in Human Form)- In Jake's human form, he is wheelchair-bound after a mugging.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 56--28 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 14 (142)

-Jake Sully is the main character- a marine thrown into the "Avatar" program to help better understand/spy on the natives of the planet Pandora (which has Unobtainium on it). Despite being rather clueless and naiive (but tough), he is immediately marked as a "chosen one" by the Na'vi tribe's God, Eywa, and eventually comes to adopt the natives' habits (and of course, bone their princess). By the end of the movie, he's no longer an "Avatar"- his self is completely transferred over to his Na'vi body.

-I had to make some decisions about the PL in this 'verse, and figured PL 8 would be the best one. The Na'vi are big, tall and strong, but are very lightly built for such large creatures. They can only barely defeat most of the big monsters (PL 8-10) of their universe, and can't defeat large military ships without aid from their Mounts. Plus, guys in Walker-Mech suits basically beat the snot out of them with ease- Jake is barely able to fend off the evil General dude in the movie's final moments (LOL I don't remember this at all, but that's exactly how a movie like this should end- Cameron knows his shit). So as it stands, Jake (as one of the elite fighters of the Na'vi) is a PL 8 for the most part with all his stuff. And yes, the Giant Bow with its damage and poison is a NASTY threat.

-Regarding Na'vi- they're basically Growth 2 (9-11 feet tall), can run and leap with extreme talent, and are immune to the natural poisons of Pandora's atmosphere (so pretty much every animal will have the Environmental Adaptation Feat- which also allows them to traverse the dense forest & treetop canopies without difficulty- something normaly humans can only barely do). There's also their ability to communicate with animals by linking their minds/spirits via "Tsahaylu"- little spiracle thingies coming from their "hair" that every species on the planet possesses. It's a mostly one-way Comprehend (Speak to) power that also kinda works on plants like World Tree and that spiritual other tree thingie- Limited to Touch Range and things with their Spiracles (costing 1 pp altogether).
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I didn't really like the movie for reasons I won't go into here though I probably will watch the sequels at some point. It was re-released in China so has retaken the top spot from Avengers: Endgame.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

Shock wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:34 pm I hated Avatar when it came out. Went to see it in 3D and the glasses gave me a headache. Obviously people who have to wear glasses were not considered as adding the 3D glasses made everything out of focus. Without the gimmick of 3D, it was a movie with a dumb plot and mediocre action.
It's weird, I saw it in 3D and the glasses fit fine over my glasses, no problem. I guess it just affected certain people.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

So, I know the popular thing to do now is say "oh, I never liked Avatar," but man, when that movie came out I loved it. Yeah, it pulled from a lot of different sources, and it didn't really do anything new, but as a person who enjoys the technical aspect of moviemaking as much as the storytelling aspect of storytelling, it did so much right in the CG and practical effects that I didn't care. Floating islands, strange creatures that didn't just look like 'Earth animals gone weird,' believable facial movements on CG characters, those absolutely gorgeous water effects (seriously, go watch the Visual Artists React where they talk about the water), I loved the whole experience.

For any faults James Cameron has in making movies, the guy doesn't just push the envelope when it comes to technical aspects, he punts it across a field and everybody else has to scramble to catch up. Check out things like the weird Tim Burton Alice In Wonderland or live action Jungle Book and compare those CG environments to Avatar, and Avatar still holds up.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Skavenger wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:41 pm So, I know the popular thing to do now is say "oh, I never liked Avatar," but man, when that movie came out I loved it. Yeah, it pulled from a lot of different sources, and it didn't really do anything new, but as a person who enjoys the technical aspect of moviemaking as much as the storytelling aspect of storytelling, it did so much right in the CG and practical effects that I didn't care. Floating islands, strange creatures that didn't just look like 'Earth animals gone weird,' believable facial movements on CG characters, those absolutely gorgeous water effects (seriously, go watch the Visual Artists React where they talk about the water), I loved the whole experience.

For any faults James Cameron has in making movies, the guy doesn't just push the envelope when it comes to technical aspects, he punts it across a field and everybody else has to scramble to catch up. Check out things like the weird Tim Burton Alice In Wonderland or live action Jungle Book and compare those CG environments to Avatar, and Avatar still holds up.
Oh the movie was a technical feat and and visually it was ground breaking, there's no doubting that, the issue I had was with parts of the story, that's what I disliked.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

I didn't like the movie even when it came out. It was a visual spectacle but I heard the basic summary of it before seeing it and my impression was "Well that sounds stupid." Honestly I sided with the humans and hated Jake since it seemed like the humans actually were in desperate need of the resources and Jake's just fucking around when he's supposed to be on a diplomatic mission.
Jabroniville

Neytiri

Post by Jabroniville »

I wish *I* had a giant blue girlfriend... (fanart by Orpheelin)

NEYTIRI
Role:
The Chief's Daughter, Giant Amazon Space Babe, Giantess Girlfriend
PL 8 (130)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+11)
Athletics 5 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+5, +7 Size)
Perception 7 (+10)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 5 (+11, +10 Size)
Treatment 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Equipment 7 (Giant Bow +7), Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork

Powers:
"Na'vi Physiology"
Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Tsahaylu- Spinal Link" Comprehend 4 (Speak to & Understand Animals, Plants) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) [1]

Equipment:
"Giant Bow"
"Huge Arrow" Blast 7 Linked to Weaken Strength 6 (Extras: Progressive +2) (Power Loss- Must Damage With Bow -2) (30)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Swing With Bow +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Giant Bow & Arrow +8 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +6, Fortitude +8, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Jake Sully)- Jake has a thing for giant blue ladies (WEIRDO), and quickly falls for Neytiri, attempting to help her out, then defending her people against his own kind.
Enemy (Humans)

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 11 (130)

-Neytiri's the main female character of Avatar: your everyday, average Tsundere "Chief's Daughter" archetype, who alternates between fawning over Jake or trying to stab him through the heart. James Cameron has basically admitted he took every possible character design of this character and showed it to all his male friends, deciding on the final form based off of "how many guys said they'd do her"- so don't worry, thinking Neytiri is a hottie doesn't make you a furry :) (bullet DODGED, in my case).

-Neytiri is more-or-less a modified version of the Jake Sully build, giving up some strength and smarts for Wisdom, speed and accuracy. They share most of their Powers and Feats (since most Na'vi are pretty much the same, with the same fighting style and abilities), just in slightly different alottments.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

AND NOW... 11 YEAR OLD COMMENTS!:
Me wrote:So yeah, Avatar builds- it's gonna include a generic Na'vi Template, Miles Quaritch (aka that bad-assed scarred Colonel), plus stats for the most-seen monsters in the movie: The Thanator, Ikran, Toruk & Titanothere.
So yeah, Avatar builds- it's gonna include a generic Na'vi Template, Miles Quaritch (aka that bad-assed scarred Colonel), plus stats for the most-seen monsters in the movie: The Thanator, Ikran, Toruk & Titanothere.
Bladewind wrote:Sweet builds - I really like the way you handled the Tsahaylu. Only question i have is your use of Growth.. I always thought that a permanent power had to be continous first. This would put the cost at 16 points instead of 11... is there a rule (house or otherwise) that I missed?
FuzzyBoots wrote:He covered it in his Design Diary on Powers. ^_^ I'll admit I had to use the search function to find it.
Libra wrote:Miles Quaritch (aka that bad-assed scarred Colonel) AKA Hero of the Imperium! :twisted: (I apologise for perpetuating a meme, but I must admit that the comparison seems a pretty good one - I suspect the Catchans would take him into the ranks, no questions asked).

Keep up the good work Jabroniville! :D
marcoasalazarm wrote:Wonder if they would shove him in the same unit as Ciaphas Cain...?
Bad guy looks at small pistol by PC. Bad guy makes pistol with fingers.
Bad guy-¿"Bang"?.
PC shakes head gravely.
PC (quiet voice)-"Boom".
PC pulls trigger.
Bad guy gets vaporized.
luketheduke86 wrote:Really nice Avatar builds Jab. I thought it was a really awesome movie, the only problem I had with it was the mineral being called unobtanium :roll:.
RhimeFyre wrote:Oh good. Avatar builds. :roll:

(Not a fan. Lol.)
The Ilethryl Knight wrote: Oh good. Avatar builds! :D

(BIG fan! :P )
Nareik123 wrote:Avatar builds? Ah, sweet!

I liked Avatar as a film and I enjoyed it immensely. Although I would prefer for the humans to have won the last battle (I'm not trying to be racist, not encouraging racial genocide, but when it comes to aliens battling it out with humans, I'm usually on the humans side) but still, I enjoyed it.

Is it possible if you can shy away from the Na'vi and shed some light on the humans?

Oh, and by the way, Quaritch would be too hardcore for Catachan.
Demacia! (Garen, The Might of Demacia)
marcoasalazarm wrote:re: my quote: (Rambo. The T-800. Jake Plissken. Wolverine. All pussies).
I think at least one of them would take it rather bad that you said that.
Kreuz wrote:considering quaritch subscribes to the credo "Air Is For Cowards", i don't think those named would mind. especially not snake plisskin, whom you did not name in favour of his considerably lamer lookalike, jake plisskin (yes, naturally Kreuz was a Corrective Courtney, lol
Arthur Eld wrote:A few things about Quartich's mech.

Firstly, what's it DEX score, and thus, handling modifier?

Also, why didn't you buy the weapons as part of the mech's systems? Would have been cheaper that way (would've come to 15 mecha points)
RhimeFyre wrote:re: Nareik's point: That was my whole issue with it. Far too anvilicious and preachy and heavy-handed with its Green Aesop crap. Ehhh. No thanks.
Me wrote:They're hand-held weapons, and thus are bought as standard Equipment, not Mounted stuff (which I think comes to the same cost- they're bought as Base Systems, I believe).

Do Mechs have Dex scores? I assumed because it was Large, it was a -1 to Handling (I think the chart says that), essentially like it's a device with 4 ranks of Growth on it. I'll have to re-read the Mech rules to see, though.
ScourgeXLVII wrote:Yeah, me to... Even though I agreed with some of the points being made, and agree with the sentiment, I don't want my movie preached at me. Also, I couldn't give a crap about the visuals. In like... 4-5 years, every movie will be filmed like this (see the Matrix for proof on this. It was visual gold when it first came out, and now, it's hard to find an action movie not influenced by it one way or another. Like the Matrix, Avatar may be the best visuals of movies for a while, but I'm holding out to praise a movie for both plot and visuals)
Arthur Eld wrote:Hand-held weapon systems for a Mech are bought with its points, and cost as much as Easy to Lose devices (3 for 5). Mounted weapons have no discount.

A Mech's Dexterity reduces its Handling Penalty to +0, never more than that. So for a Large Mecha, you can pay 2 points to get rid of the Handling Penalty. Not sure if that's really applicable for the Avatar walkers (they seemed spry enough, but maybe the pilots were just good enough) but it needs to be listed either way.
FuzzyBoots wrote:Actually, my impression is that the Mounted weapons are Hard-to-Lose devices which require an addition mecha point for each mount. Something like a chest-beam would be bought as a straight-up Blast.

^_^ I was doing coding for Mecha and Manga for HeroLab and the mecha costs didn't come out quite right, so I had to do a fair bit of reading around on it. The one other thing I missed is that MeMa also introduced additional rules on Tech Levels that may result in even lower costs for things like only having a regular sword instead of an energy beam sword in the 25th century. Personally, I think that it's more likely that they just messed up the costs, but the argument was made.

To not get too off-topic, nice Avatar builds. :)
Me wrote:OK, I think I get it- hand-held weapons are Devices from the MECH's perspective, not the character's, so you pay 3 MP for 5 of them.

And I just left his Dex modifier blank since I wanted that -1 Handling penalty to still exist. Didn't realize that you had to include it anyways.

So I fixed of Quaritch, hopefully getting it right this time (the rules/examples for Mech creation are rather... epic in scope and it's easy to leave stuff out or misread it). My personal opinion of Avatar that it was just a kick-ass story using all the old story tropes, and the moral was kind of a 'Some anvils need to be dropped' kind of thing, regarding humans (or specifically their corporations- always a threat in a Cameronverse) as this evil arseholes that seek to gain things no matter the cost to the planet in the long run. It was heavy-handed kind of because it needed to be, and even most of the bad guys either had their good points, or a fairly understandable reason for their actions.

So with the "Avatar" builds out of the way, it's time for my next set... Mega Man & the Robot Masters! Ideally, I want to post a template for all the villains from Mega Man 1-9 (no X, yet), which only barely shifts from guy to guy (for the most part), plus Mega Man himself. The builds I've done so far show it's a pretty quick, easy process, so it's not quite the huge process you'd think doing 75 builds would be. I'll post a couple Robots per post, just to keep my Links down to a reasonable number :).
Arthur Eld wrote:Actually, with a DEX of 8, the handling modifier would be -2. Handling Modifiers are a result of a mech's size (and are pretty much similar to a character with changes in its size) and the default DEX is always 10. Dropping it to 8 will give you 2 points back, though, so maybe that's what you were going for.

Mech are a pain, no doubt. Partly cause there are a lot of rules, and cause they're relatively new.
So yes, the Mech rules were considered a MASSIVE pain right when they came out, and seemed to have been done wrong in the very book they debuted, and since the system rebooted not that long afterwards, they never really mattered in the first place.
Jabroniville

The Na’vi

Post by Jabroniville »

NA'VI
Role:
Native Stereotypes, Elite Mooks
PL 6 (101)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 3 (+10)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 10 (+10)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+6, +7 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6, +4 Size)
Treatment 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 7 (Giant Bow), Improved Aim

Powers:
"Na'vi Hybrid Physiology"
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Tsahaylu- Spinal Link" Comprehend 4 (Speak to & Understand Animals, Plants) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) [1]

Equipment:
"Giant Bow"

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Swing With Bow +4 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Giant Bow & Arrow +4 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Humans)

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 10 (101)

-Common Na'vi Warriors are downgraded versions of Jake & Neytiri, being much worse in combat (+5 to +8/+9), a little weaker and easier to hurt, and with less Advantages overall, but mostly the same fighting style. Well-balanced PL 6s, they're rather epic as Minions go, and so are no pushover. They're still highly vulnerable to automatic weapons-fire, as the movie shows.
Jabroniville

Direhorse

Post by Jabroniville »

DIREHORSE (Pa'li)
Role:
Giant Horse
PL 7 (67)- Minion Rank 5, Sidekick Rank 14
Normal Version:
PL 4-6
STRENGTH 8 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+3)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 7 (+4, +8 Size)
Perception 5 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hooves), Move-By Action

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 4 (30 mph) [4]
"Bioluminescence" Environment 1 (Light) [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (15 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
"Six Hooves" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +9, Fortitude +11, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Direhorses cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 21 / Defenses: 12 (67)

-Direhorses were explicitly designed to look like race cars (that's why their nostrils/breathing holes are up front, like a car's grill). Six-legged Riding Mounts that are essentially horses in every way, they're fast, strong and hard to avoid their Overruns (LOL that was written in 2e- no real comparison these days as an Advantage I think), but lack the sheer lethality of most of Pandora's other monsters.
Davies

Re: Direhorse

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:03 am -Direhorses were explicitly designed to look like race cars (that's why their nostrils/breathing holes are up front, like a car's grill). Six-legged Riding Mounts that are essentially horses in every way, they're fast, strong and hard to avoid their Overruns (LOL that was written in 2e- no real comparison these days as an Advantage I think), but lack the sheer lethality of most of Pandora's other monsters.
Nope, explicitly stated not to exist in the official conversion doc. Overruns in the 3e rules are pretty much just Move-by Action combined with a Trip, so you could give them Improved Trip.

Regarding the critter, I'm genuinely surprised that no one has used the code that animated these to create a CGI Sleipnir.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."