Short Short Stories

For those who have a way with words.
Davies

Short Short Stories

Post by Davies »

There was once a miller who had a daughter of whom he was perhaps too proud, and whom he claimed could spin straw into gold. News of this boastful claim reached the ears of the king, who summoned father and daughter both to the court. There they were presented with an ultimatum -- the daughter had until the morning to perform this feat, or she would be sentenced to death. Locked in a tower room with a spinning wheel and a large amount of straw, the young lady bewailed her fate.

It was then that a fey spirit, of the sort who normally confines their mischief to rattling pillars and planks, made himself known to her and offered to assist her in exchange for her first born child. As she was not the sentimental type, and as the odds of her living to have children seemed remote at that time, she agreed to the deal. By morning's first light, she was in possession of a large amount of gold, and was once more brought before the king.

"Well," said the king. "It seems you were telling the truth after all, goodman. How sad for both you and your daughter. Had she simply admitted that this boast of yours was a lie, we would have suspended your sentence and let you both off with a whipping to remind you of your proper station in life. As it happens, you are now proved to be in possession of supernatural powers which could pose a great threat to our realm. Therefore, you will both be burned at the stake, sentence to be carried out at once. Guards!"

And they were. This really annoyed the fey spirit, but not nearly as much as the failure of a similar scheme would much later.
I'm not fourteen hundred years old! I've been sixteen years old fourteen hundred times, but I'm definitely not fourteen hundred years old! If you can't get that through your skull, I'm divorcing you!
Tsukasa Tsukuyomi, in
Fly Me to the Moon, by Kenjiro Hata
Davies

Re: Short Short Stories

Post by Davies »

It so happened that a pair of swindlers once attempted to practice their craft on a notoriously vain and foolish emperor, by pretending to sew a suit of clothes for him while doing nothing. At the end of their labor, they presented the alleged suit of clothes to him, explaining that they were made of a special material that simple people could not see.

The emperor stared for a moment at the empty space where the suit of clothes should have been, then nodded slowly. "I see," he said. "Well, on the one hand, you have given me a priceless gift, and so I thank you for this splendid suit of clothes. However, if I were to, for example, engage in a promenade while wearing them before my subjects -- many of whom are, alas, quite simple -- I would appear to be naked before them. And that would be a most humiliating experience. Therefore, guards! Execute these talented merchants, please!"

And they did.
I'm not fourteen hundred years old! I've been sixteen years old fourteen hundred times, but I'm definitely not fourteen hundred years old! If you can't get that through your skull, I'm divorcing you!
Tsukasa Tsukuyomi, in
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I love these. kind of like Twilight Zone takes on some classic fairy tales. :)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Davies

Post by Davies »

Thank you!
Tsukasa Tsukuyomi, in