The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Red Ronin! Netsuko Nishimura! Rinako Saeki! Fujiko Yoshihara! Masaru Kido!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
EternalPhoenix

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: Bellona Accardo, Reyna Oleastro)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:26 am
EternalPhoenix wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:04 am
greycrusader wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:16 am Hey, very good, solid stuff! And you’re really prolific in creating material. Kudos on your setting.

All my best.
Oh, man. I'm kind of honored. The legendary (to me) commenter I've seen so much of. Gilliam, Davies, Jab, and now greycrusader. Suppose I'm doing something right here. Which is just so very validating. You all have no idea. I've been working on and off on the current version of everyone since late 2018 / early 2019. But yanno, if nobody's apparently paying attention, well. Shouting into the void isn't very motivating. It probably would have taken me most of this year to finish the League, instead of a coupld months. So the view numbers going up and the occasional comment, man...I feel like I'm not wasting my time here. But let's not get too mushy.

Thanks for stopping by, please come again, etcetera. :D
Thank you very much for your compliments. Nagesh Malik is a nice example of the Faux Affably Evil villain, one without much in the way of sympathetic, let alone redeeming traits, yet who can play the role of a gentleman, only committing vile acts when necessary for his heinous plans, unlike a Joker or Carnage, who perpetrate atrocities on a whim. Campaigns need a few utterly despicable antagonists who nonetheless aren't complete psychopaths. I enjoyed his back story-something of an inversion of the origin story of Iron Fist (or earlier heroes such as Human Thunderbolt or A-Man).

I might give one word of advice: you're obviously very creative and have also thought out your characters and setting quite well. However, you've presented a big chunk of material at once, so interested readers on the forum may need a little time to catch up and comment. Early on, when I began writing again, I also tended to post a LOT at a time; slowing the pace got better results in terms of getting feedback. But I do admire your enthusiasm and discipline in presenting all this.

Thanks again. All my best.
You're quite welcome, and it's nice to see you back again. Negesh is despicable, yes, and he is the truly rotten one in Operatives Without Names. In fact, he's probably the worst in the whole League. Though those vying for second would be a bit of a crowded field. Moreover, the point of him is to be 1) An endlessly recurring relatively low level threat and 2) A forked tongue whispering poisonous words into three young ears. But I've got a Creator's Commentary coming at the end, before I take a nice break.

Regarding your advice: That is the plan, actually. I don't have any more ready after the League is done, and it'll take a little while to build up the ol' backlog again. The first post is what's currently planned minus some non-finalized stuff. The plan is the finish out the League, write out my commentary for each group so far, and leave it until I've got another group or two finished and figured out a posting schedule. Possibly one that isn't daily. Maybe every other day? Dunno.

Folks may take their time and peruse everything while I put together the next installments. There's about a week and a half of posts to go, and the last ones aren't 100% finished yet. 95, but not 100. I'll also have a little something to tide everyone over afterward. Been playing with 3e's Deluxe Handbook Character Generator. That'll be a different thread than this one, but it'll still be nice. Buffed them from 50 to 60 the other week. And I promise, no big dump of them all at once. One at a time, I swear. Maybe every other day, even. You are again, quite welcome. Please stop in again, etc.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
EternalPhoenix

The Cult of The Light

Post by EternalPhoenix »

The Cult of The Light

Overview

The Cult of The Light is unique (based largely in Europe, but operational worldwide) is that the League member associated with it has the least to do with it. Lakis Haspis is very much a solo operator. Aside from occasionally contracting Lestari (who is a frequently hired freelancer and technically not a Cult member), he has absolutely nothing to do with the day to day operations, aside from killing off or getting imprisoned any members who don’t meet his standards or threaten to expose his identity. He had nothing to do with the founding, either. His stated goals, sent in mass emails to and published by various news media, inspired a group to independently take up his cause. All of this “first generation” with the exception of Aerin Grosvenor (aka the fallen hero Holter) are dead at his hand or imprisoned for life without the possibility of parole. This is also true of the “second generation” the first recruited. Even the third to join up is down to just Reina Wong. But a fourth and now fifth generation have taken up the cause of killing off the scum of the earth and those that aid them. All of them profess to revere The Light as the God of Justice he claims to be. How true that is varys from member to member, but most are fanatical about it if not openly so.

Tactics

The Cult operates more or less as a modern terrorist group. Cell structure, minimal contact with other cells in public. The difference that they appear to be normal citizens of their nation prior to being called together to perform a mission. They’re normally friend groups, at least by the point they’re called on. Missions aren’t purely murderous, either. Recruitment and investigation missions are just as important, and more likely to be performed by otherwise ordinary citizens. Judges (like Reina Wong) may designate targets for investigation or assassination. However, as Chief Judge Aerin Grosvenor (as the masked Holter) has final say on who is a target and may veto a Judge’s choice. How many judges there are is not known due to the cell structure, but it is likely there are only 4-6.

. . Recruitment cells aren’t much more than Bystanders. Investigation cells contain examples of the Government Agent, Police Chief, Police Officer, and/or Reporter minion archetypes. Please note that these may not be their actual professions.

. . Assassination cells use the Assassin, Gang Leader, Soldier, and/or Terrorist minion archetypes. Again, please note these may not be their actual professions. Judges can be any listed minion archetype, but uprated to PL7-8 combat caps, likely with a firearm but not necessarily. They may have access to a lesser version of Aerin’s Omnidirectional Grapple Belt, as seen below. Reina Wong, and I quote, “doesn’t fuckin’ need that piece of shit contraption”, but other Judges may not feel the same way. She said this after failing to control one well in training and ending up stuck upside down for several minutes. The first person to laugh got shot in the head, which had a chilling effect on the comedy of the situation.

Omnidirectional Grapple Belt (Device 2) (Hard to lose)
. . Omnidirectional Grapples (Linked)
. . . . Speed 2 (Linked; Speed: 250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd)
. . . . Super-Movement 5 (Linked; slow fall, swinging, wall-crawling 2 (full speed))

. .The Cult has access to a variety of safehouses, but they’re generally the apartments and homes of the membership, with the occasional abandoned warehouse or factory thrown in at the GM’s discretion. These are where Cultists rest, restock on gear, and prepare for the next mission.

. . Additionally, in the Phoenixverse those who have reached PL 12 have earned a special free Benefit feat that slightly alters the rules on Extra and/or Extraordinary Effort for them. Only Lestari has earned one. It is detailed below.

Body Reading (Lestari)-The Dodge option for Hero Point use. It doubles Dodge Bonus or prevents it being lost. Lestari can do either for free, and as often as she likes. No Hero Point is granted to the attacking hero. However, she can only do this with melee attacks and natural 20s remain an automatic hit.
Last edited by EternalPhoenix on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
EternalPhoenix

Lestari

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Lestari

Power Level: 13; Power Points Spent: 210/210

STR: +4 (18), DEX: +7 (24), CON: +4 (18), INT: +3 (16), WIS: +7 (24), CHA: +3 (16)

Tough: +4/+6, Fort: +7, Ref: +18, Will: +8

Skills: Acrobatics 13 (+20), Bluff 12 (+15), Diplomacy 7 (+10), Disguise 12 (+15), Gather Information 7 (+10), Intimidate 12 (+15), Knowledge (arcane Lore) 2 (+5), Knowledge (current events) 2 (+5), Knowledge (history) 2 (+5), Knowledge (streetwise) 12 (+15), Knowledge (tactics) 7 (+10), Language 10 (+10), Notice 8 (+15), Sense Motive 18 (+25), Stealth 8 (+15)

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, Assessment, Attack Focus (melee) 9, Attack Specialization 3 (Grapple), Blind-Fight, Challenge - Improved Acrobatic Bluff, Challenge - Improved Demoralize, Challenge - Improved Feint, Challenge - Improved Startle, Challenge - Improved Taunt, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 3, Elusive Target, Evasion 2, Grappling Finesse, Improved Critical (Martial Arts (Strike 4)), Improved Defense 2, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Pin, Improved Throw, Improved Trick, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Redirect, Ritualist, Skill Mastery 2 (Acro, Bluff, Disg, Intim, KN (street), Notice, Sen Mot, Stealth), Startle, Takedown Attack 2, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge (Auditory)

Powers:
Luck Control 1 (force a re-roll; Limited 2 (to attacks against Lestari))
Martial Arts (Strike 4) (DC 23, Feats: Improved Critical (Martial Arts (Strike 4)); Mighty)
Unarmed Supremacy (Probability Control 1) (Minimum Result: 1; Limited 2 (Unarmed Strikes))

Attack Bonus: +9 (Ranged: +9, Melee: +18, Grapple: +31)

Attacks: Martial Arts (Strike 4), +18 (DC 23), Unarmed Attack, +18 (DC 19)

Defense: +18 (Flat-footed: +8), Knockback: -3

Initiative: +15

Languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Javanese Native, Korean, Russian, Spanish

Totals: Abilities 56 + Skills 33 (132 ranks) + Feats 49 + Powers 9 + Combat 48 + Saves 15 + Drawbacks 0 = 210

Age (as of Jan 2019): 33
Height: 5’ 8”
Weight: 140 lbs.
Ethnicity: Indonesian
Hair: Black
Eyes: Dark Brown

Theme Songs: Jinx, by Shwabadi featuring Breeton Boi & Domino, by Divide Music

Background: Lestari is universally regarded as the World’s Greatest Martial Artist. (She’s actually in second place and knows it, but the real World’s Greatest prefers it this way.) She was a poor girl from Jakarta’s slums. Initially small and weak, she wasn’t good at anything. This was a bad thing, as the other way to get more than the barest necessities was theft. Her older sister took care of her, however, and eventually took her out on theft runs with their crew of friends. Naturally they worked for a local small time crime lord. She remained bad at everything, though, and had terrible luck to go with it. So life was complicated at best. She did eventually find something she was good at. A traditional martial art of Indonesia. Pencak Silat. And not just good, but really good. Beat grown men senseless at 12 years old good. Her sister turned out to be pretty good too. Life was still complicated, but there was less running from the cops and more punching them out. Same with rival kid gangs. But eventually there was a job where her streak of terrible luck couldn’t be allowed. So she was left behind. It broke her heart to be left behind. The job was a trap. A rival small time crime lord had a grudge against theirs, and was making his move to kill them all. Lestari overheard some people talking about it and came running. As usual, her timing was abysmal. A carefully negotiated statemate was broken by her impulsive fist, the scene descended into a general melee, and then the guns came out. There was some old gasoline stored at the location. Several dozen gunshots and melee strikes later, the old gas exploded, destroying the building. There were three survivors. The rival crime lord, who needed a hospital and Lestari and her sister, who did not. They had a verbal blowout, reducing Lestari to tears. Her sister walked just out of sight to cool off, and promptly got jumped by a mob of responding cops. Lestari was suddenly alone in the world. It was emotionally devastating in a way that words fail to describe. She wasn’t just orphaned, she was apparently abandoned.

. . So she turned to the only thing that she had ever been good at. The martial arts. She needed to eat, and pay for minimally acceptable accommodations. Underground tournaments. Being a hired fist. Her skills improved through experience and training until she was the uncrowned best at Pencak Silat in all of Jakarta. She was a legal adult now. She could go wherever she wanted, and she had the spare cash to do it. There was just one problem. Her sister had just been released from prison. Pencak Silat is not a martial art known for its restraint. It’s violent and nasty, aiming to put the opponent down, period. And the strength of a child pales before than or a teenager or adult, to say nothing of the skill difference. So before she was even of legal age, Lestari had blood on her hands. And it apparently didn’t bother her at all. Reuniting with her sister turned out to be a very complicated endeavor. To make a very long and very bloody story short, they became superhero and archnemesis. Lestari was the villain to her sister’s hero, but in some ways it was like the days of their childhood. Traveling around learning various martial arts and fighting over Lestari’s illegal activities. It could not, of course, last. After one final confrontation, her sister simply gave up on her. She’d been doing her best to shield her from other professional superheroes, to get Lestari to stop before things got completely out of hand. But Lestari wouldn’t stop, and her sister walked away. It was now open season on Lestari.

. . This was a terrible thing. For the superheroes. And law enforcement. And, occasionally, military forces. Traveling and training. Traveling and training. Everyone thought she had powers. She did not. Assassin. Bodyguard. Trainer. She had many jobs, and left a legion of broken bodies in her wake. Some would heal. Others were only fit for burial. She climbed the ranks and became number three of the list of world’s greatest assassins. Directly behind Bladesman and Dewstar, a duo so infamous targets who knew one of them was coming occasionally committed suicide as there was no point in trying to avoid them. There are rumors that she bore a daughter when she was still quite young, yet there has been no sign of the child since. The only ones who know the rumors are true are Lestari and her sister. In a vanishingly rare defenseless moment, Lestari gave the girl up for adoption. The girl would be entering her teen years as of 2019.

. . She isn’t exactly a full member of The Cult of The Light. They’re not fool enough to trust a living jinx and casual murderer with details of the inner workings. She is, however, their primary fist. She removes people that The Cult deems an obstacle to their success. Please note that these decisions have precious little to do with the actual desires of The Light himself, as Lakis Hasapis purposefully has as little to do with the organization he inspired, no matter how hard they try to supports his efforts. And yet…Lestari’s deadly limbs function just as well as his ThanaNote. She’s only still alive because she abandoned her last name years ago and it is thus unknown and because she’s useful in this way. She remains the only person directly connected to The Cult to have actually met Lakis (disguised and under a throwaway alias). They remain in periodic contact.

Powers & Tactics: Lestari has no superhuman powers of any kind. She has no special devices. No incredible feats of borderline superhuman training to call on. She doesn’t even use Chi. She is simply one of the finest martial artists to ever draw breath on the face of the world. Pencak Silat (an Indonesian martial art) was her base, and she’s the finest practitioner since the age of mythology. Her traveling has seen her train under and surpass a legion of teachers in various Wushu styles, Wing Chun, Taekwondo, Taekkyon (Taekwondo’s predecessor and source), Karate, Jujutsu, Judo, Aikido, Muay Thai, Kalaripayattu (an Indian striking and grappling martial art), Kick Boxing, and Boxing. She is beyond a prodigy, capable of outclassing entire dojos of expert fighters with minimal effort. Her reflexes, timing, and technique are beyond superb. Her striking power makes observers think she’s superhuman, crushing organs and shattering bones. She’s a master of the kind not seen in centuries. It’s genuinely incredible how talented she is.

. . Regarding her status as a living jinx, this isn’t a power of any kind. There is nothing supernatural about it. A startling array of coincidences and poor decisions by others leads her to make the worst possible decisions for said others and their plans because she lacks necessary information. As such, she almost always does the exact wrong thing at the exact wrong time, and the situation snowballs in hellish fashion. Everything goes wrong, blood is spilled, people go to prison, but she walks away relatively unscathed though her own skills. A living, breathing jinx, yes. But an entirely mundane one.

. . Tactically, well. There’s not a lot to work with as far as versatility. She’s as pure an unarmed fighter as it gets. With that said, she won’t even bother fighting anyone with less than a +12 melee attack bonus. Those who have attempted to force the issue have rapidly found themselves needing emergency medical attention. Or burial. She has Assessment and a godly Sense Motive bonus to figure this out with. Said bonus also renders her effectively immune to feints of all varieties. Speaking of feints, she has all three ways to render her opponents flat-footed, and at Improved level. She’s also a very skilled grappler. Improved Trick and Redirect can be very amusing, as crowds of would be do gooders beat each other up. What she isn’t is stupid. She knows she’s only human, and uses her skills at Stealth and Disguise to disappear at need. She does enjoy a good fight, but generally she’s there to do the job she’s been hired to do, and disappear when it is either completed or no longer possible to complete. Be it killing one person, protecting another’s life, supervising martial arts lessons among the criminal element, etcetera. She has been known to use weapons, but they’re temporary Equipment grade, used to give herself a handicap for her own amusement. Strike 1 to 3 with the Mighty power feat. If it’s a blade, it also has Improved Crit 1.

Personality: Lestari has an absolute serenity about her. She’s always outwardly calm, but in the deeply disturbing way. She speaks softly, and only raises her voice to be audible over surrounding noise. Such outward placidity is genuinely unnerving at times. In regular situations she’s unnerving enough, but she’s exactly the same when beating someone to death, on the run from law enforcement, or dodging a hail of gunfire. It’s like nothing matters to her, which is demonstrably untrue. Nobody trains as hard as she does in as many martial arts as she does without caring deeply about at least improving one’s skills. She has been known to smile gently in the middle of particularly ferocious action or in combat with an foe she has deemed worthy. And the cold, dead eyes of her displeasure are feared among those who have seen them and lived. The truth, known only to her? She broke. Way, way back when she was a child. Guilt, grief, and despair at being abandoned by the only person in the world who meant anything to her triggered a unique combination of schizophrenia and derealization disorder that’s only deepened and gotten stronger with the passage of years. She sees herself as someone portraying the villain protagonist of a martial arts movie/television series. As such, the world around her (and the people in it) are fictional. They can’t be killed for real, only removed from the ongoing narrative. And as a villain, she must be a good foil to the heroes who guest star. If they’re genuinely interesting, she’ll leave them alive so they can become “recurring cast”. She doesn’t discuss it in such terms, obvious, as she’s “in character”. Obviously, she isn’t playing the role 24/7. Martial arts movies and TV don’t dwell on people sleeping, eating, using the toilet, etc. Such mundane activities are done more or less on autopilot, leaning harder of the dissociative side of her mental illness than the schizophrenic. Because Lestari isn’t allowed to be real anymore.

. . Lestari isn’t really someone heroes can save. At least, not within the average campaign’s timeframe. She’d require a lifetime of medication, therapy, and monitoring. And that is assuming she could even be convinced or made to realize she had a problem in the first place. It’s much more likely that the ol’ “beat up and then imprison” approach is the one most heroes would take. Specifically because it’s very unlikely they’d realize she was anything other than a sociopathic murderer and even if they did some heroes will be like “cool motive, still murder”. The wild card in all of this is her daughter. She hasn’t seen the girl in over a decade, but she loves her dearly. That tiny girl Lestari remembers is the only person in the world who is not fictional, and thus may be the only person in the world who may be able to reach the wounded little girl tired of being a nasib sial.
Last edited by EternalPhoenix on Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: Shanyuan Baoli, The Cult of The Light, Lestari)

Post by Davies »

An intriguing combination.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Tattooedman

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: Shanyuan Baoli, The Cult of The Light, Lestari)

Post by Tattooedman »

This all looks interesting, I just need to take time to really sit down & read through it all (cause you basically spammed it all out, points for having all that ready to go btw).
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
EternalPhoenix

Reina Wong

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Reina Wong

Power Level: 9; Power Points Spent: 165/165

STR: +2 (14), DEX: +3 (16), CON: +2 (14), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +2 (14), CHA: +3 (16)

Tough: +2/+4, Fort: +5, Ref: +12, Will: +7

Skills: Acrobatics 12 (+15), Bluff 8 (+11), Craft (mechanical) 3 (+5), Gather Information 2 (+5), Intimidate 12 (+15), Knowledge (streetwise) 8 (+10), Language 7 (+7), Medicine 3 (+5), Notice 8 (+10), Search 3 (+5), Sense Motive 8 (+10), Sleight of Hand 7 (+10), Stealth 7 (+10), Survival 8 (+10)

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, All-Out Attack, Attack Focus (ranged) 2, Attack Specialization (Dual Pistols (Device 4)), Attractive (+4), Benefit (Judge, The Cult Of The Light), Challenge - Improved Acrobatic Bluff, Challenge - Improved Startle, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Distract (Intimidate), Dodge Focus, Equipment 6, Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical 2 (Dual Pistol Shots (Blast 4)), Improved Initiative, Improved Trick, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Shot 2, Quick Draw, Second Chance (Reflex saves for half effect), Second Chance (Toughness saves against Ballistic descriptor), Skill Mastery (Acrobatics, Intimidate, Notice, Survival), Startle, Takedown Attack, Uncanny Dodge (Auditory)

Powers:
Flash-Bang (Dazzle 4) (affects: 1 type + visual - auditory, DC 14; Burst Area (20 ft. radius - General))

Fragmentation Grenade (Blast 5) (DC 20; Burst Area (25-50 ft. radius - General); Progression, Increase Area (area x2))

Smoke Grenade (Obscure 3) (affects: visual senses, Radius: 25 ft.; Duration (continuous), Total Fade; Fades)

Dual Pistols (Device 4) (Easy to lose, Only you can use)
. . Dual Pistol Shots (Blast 4) (DC 19; Autofire (interval 2, max +5), Penetrating; Improved Range (100 ft. incr), Precise, Ricochet 2 (2 bounces))

Firearm Supremacy (Probability Control 1) (Minimum Result: 1; Limited 2 (Firearms))

Luck Control 1 (force a re-roll, Feats: Second Chance (Reflex saves for half effect), Second Chance (Toughness saves against Ballistic descriptor); Limited 2 (Attacks targeting self))

Equipment: Arsenal (Flash-Bang [Flash-Bang (Dazzle 4), affects: 1 type + visual - auditory, DC 14; Burst Area (20 ft. radius - General)], Fragmentation Grenade [Fragmentation Grenade (Blast 5), DC 20; Burst Area (25-50 ft. radius - General); Progression, Increase Area (area x2)], Masterwork Knife, Masterwork Sniper Rifle, Smoke Grenade [Smoke Grenade (Obscure 3), affects: visual senses, Radius: 25 ft.; Duration (continuous), Total Fade; Fades]), Plot Specific Equipment 10

Attack Bonus: +10 (Ranged: +12, Melee: +10, Grapple: +12)

Attacks: Dual Pistol Shots (Blast 4), +14 (DC 19), Flash-Bang (Dazzle 4) (DC Fort/Ref 14), Fragmentation Grenade (Blast 5) (DC 20), Masterwork Knife, +11 (DC 18), Masterwork Sniper Rifle, +13 (DC 20), Unarmed Attack, +10 (DC 17)

Defense: +12 (Flat-footed: +6), Knockback: -2

Initiative: +7

Languages: Chinese (Cantonese), English Native, French, Indonesian, Japanese, Malay, Thai, Vietnamese

Totals: Abilities 28 + Skills 24 (96 ranks) + Feats 35 + Powers 19 + Combat 42 + Saves 17 + Drawbacks 0 = 165

Age (as of Jan 2019): 27
Height: 5’ 5”
Weight: 130 lbs.
Ethnicity: Chinese-American (tanned enough to pass for Southeast Asian to non-natives)
Hair: Dark Brown
Eyes: Dark Brown

Theme Song: Let It All Burn, by Fabvl

Background: Let’s get one thing out of the way. Reina Wong is a victim of sexual assault. Two New York City cops took advantage of the fact that she was very young, very poor, and powerless to meaningfully object or inflict consequences. It was, in many ways, the pivotal even of her life, but it will not be dwelled on here. Because it was her choices afterward that have made her who she is today. She escaped NYC, and ended up bumming around Southeast Asia. How she accomplished that much travel with so little money will not be discussed here, either. The Reina who emerged in Southeast Asia was not the timid creature she had been. She had morphed into a twin pistol packing killing machine. One of the single most dangerous unpowered mercenaries in the entire hemisphere. She had a pair of allies and a base of operations in a lawless port town. The Straits of Malacca have historically been a hotbed of piracy and various criminal activities. In the Phoenixverse, this has not changed. Much to the chagrin of the governments of Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia to name a few. Bouts of political instability have attracted mercenaries to the region, as well, and various revolutionary groups find it a good place to hide out. It is well patrolled, and criminal groups that get too large or infamous tend to get swiftly smashed. But that moderate level of lawlessness just will not go away. And so Reina and the other two made a decent living as a mercenary, independent courier, and occasional hired pirate.

. . And then The Light appeared on the supers scene.

. . Something about his message struck a chord within Reina. A new God of Justice, with the power to enforce his will on the world? The power to inflict the most meaningful consequence of all. Death. The more she thought about it (and the longer The Light remained uncaptured), the more she felt…inspired. Several thousand rounds of ammunition, a few dozen grenades, several rockets, and even a few rounds of artillery fire later, that lawless port town was lawless no longer. Of course, it had also suffered a drastic depopulation at the hands of Reina and the brigade of Indonesian marines mobilized in response to Reina’s ratting out everyone she could. Even her two erstwhile allies lay dead. She had faith, now. Faith in Justice. She rode off on her boat to Europe, and joined the fledgling Cult of The Light. She was a member of the third generation (the first ones to come from outside Europe, as opposed to the founding first generation and their second generation recruits), and is the last one standing from it. Everyone else has been jailed thanks to Lakis Hasapis or killed by The Light. She does wonder why Lakis is still alive, but has chalked it up to a connection between the two.

Powers & Tactics: Reina has no superhuman powers. What she has is a rare talent for gunfighting, both hitting and dodging incoming attacks. Her Dual Pistols are really just two standard Heavy Pistols. They’re loaded with armor piercing ammunition she makes herself. It’s her sheer skill and talent that turns them into the equivalent a submachine gun that can also bounce shots around a pair of corners and still kill a man. She carries flash bangs, frag grenades, smoke grenades, and a sniper rifle when prepped for field work. She always has the Dual Pistols and her Masterwork Knife.

. . Tactically…it depends how the Cult is playing this particular kill. The message they’re trying to send, in addition to the level of protection the target has. Sometimes one sniper’s bullet (with Improved Aim to improve hitting chances) is a better choice than a storm of gunfire. Barring that, Reina really only has one gimmick. Shooting lots and lots of bullets at her enemy until they’re dead. The grenades are there to facilitate this, or escape if the situation has truly gone sideways. She is careful to not physically harm civilians, but not so careful about property damage. She has Improved Acrobatic Bluff and Improved Startle to strip out Dodge Bonus, and Power Attack to take advantage of it. She’s not the type to run from a stiff fight, but she’s also not an idiot. Badly outnumbered is badly outnumbered, and outclassed by a superpowered foe is outclassed by a superpowered foe. Loves to fight but not opposed to a tactical retreat. She is incapable of power stunting.

Personality: Reina is, uh, not okay in the head. Emotionally disturbed, if we want to use correct terminology. Many terrible things have happened to her. She’s seen many terrible things, and done a fair few of them herself in the name of survival. Humans can get used to anything, after all. She’d decided to deal with it by being an angry, impatient, and aggressive hellbitch, but pledging herself to the new God of Justice has seen her mellow out around her fellow Cultists. Everyone else gets chilly disdain at best. Anyone who’s made themselves her active enemy (like say, a superhero thwarting her killing a target of the Cult) awakens the hellbitch. Expletives and bullets will fly.

. . There…really isn’t any saving Reina. Maybe before she hooked up with the Cult there might have been a chance for someone to break through and reach the traumatized young woman inside. But now? She’s a fanatical Cultist, hellbent on remaking the world in her god’s image. She has faith, and the vast majority of heroes have no idea how to combat that. Even the downfall of Lakis Hasapis would change nothing. After all, one fallen man couldn’t possibly be her god. He was only a tool in the hands of The Light.
Last edited by EternalPhoenix on Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davies

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: The Cult of The Light, Lestari, Reina Wong)

Post by Davies »

Now that is a terrifying idea. Well done.
EternalPhoenix

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: The Cult of The Light, Lestari, Reina Wong)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Davies wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:07 am An intriguing combination.
Thank you. I'd just finished the show and she wouldn't get out of my head. Poor Lestari had very little beyond a mostly finished build. So, like so often in my work, I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if..." and proceeded.
Tattooedman wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:03 pm This all looks interesting, I just need to take time to really sit down & read through it all (cause you basically spammed it all out, points for having all that ready to go btw).
3 years of on and off work, with bonus points to having several of them in my head for like 15 years now. The core Exiles, NPC folks, and Seawings and I go back. Though I don't think I have another entirely original project like the League in me for a while, heh. The Academy and Strength Revolution, which will arrive eventually after the break at the end of the League and Creator Commentaries don't count, as bits of both are in that 15 year club, with a few of them going back 20 years instead of 1d. God, I'm old. :? :|
Davies wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:14 am Now that is a terrifying idea. Well done.
Oh, caught who I was riffing before I said anything, eh? :D
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:39 am Lestari

huh, interesting! A hardcore assassin who uses Pencak Silat instead of a more "mainstream" style. Being from Indonesia is a bit different, too. Interesting bit with the missing kid- aspects of Lady Shiva or the like... but she's working for an evil murder-cult. Did you build her sister, too?
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:38 am
EternalPhoenix wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:39 am Lestari

huh, interesting! A hardcore assassin who uses Pencak Silat instead of a more "mainstream" style. Being from Indonesia is a bit different, too. Interesting bit with the missing kid- aspects of Lady Shiva or the like... but she's working for an evil murder-cult. Did you build her sister, too?
I didn't build her sister, no. But it wouldn't be hard as they'd be quite similar. Drop a PL or two, probably two. Spend the points on Skills and maybe a new feat, dunno. Finished. And I will say that Lady Shiva's done plenty of work for Ra's and the League of Assassins, so it's but so different. Indonesia came after the decision to use Pencak Silat as her base, as it's their martial art. Wushu (or Kung Fu) is overrepresented in my opinion. Karate, Taekwondo, and these days Muay Thai aren't much better. I just gotta be different. :mrgreen:
EternalPhoenix

Holter (Aerin Grosvenor)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Holter (Aerin Grosvenor)

Power Level: 9; Power Points Spent: 165/165

STR: +4 (18), DEX: +4 (18), CON: +4 (18), INT: +2 (14), WIS: +3 (16), CHA: +2 (14)

Tough: +4/+5, Fort: +5, Ref: +12, Will: +7

Skills: Acrobatics 11 (+15), Bluff 8 (+10), Craft (chemical) 8 (+10), Craft (mechanical) 8 (+10), Diplomacy 8 (+10), Gather Information 8 (+10), Knowledge (physical sciences) 8 (+10), Knowledge (streetwise) 8 (+10), Knowledge (tactics) 8 (+10), Knowledge (technology) 8 (+10), Language 6 (+6), Medicine 2 (+5), Notice 12 (+15), Sense Motive 12 (+15), Stealth 11 (+15)

Feats: Acrobatic Bluff, Attack Focus (melee) 3, Benefit (Chief Judge, The Cult of The Light), Defensive Roll, Dodge Focus 5, Evasion, Improved Critical 2 (Razor Sword Strikes (Strike 2)), Move-by Action, Power Attack, Precise Shot, Takedown Attack, Uncanny Dodge (Auditory)

Powers:
Mini Rocket Launcher (Device 4) (Easy to lose)
. . Mini Rocket (Blast 9) (DC 24; Burst Area (45 ft. radius - General); Unreliable (5 uses); Triggered 2 (any trigger))

Omnidirectional Grapple Belt (Device 3) (Hard to lose)
. . Omnidirectional Grapples (Linked)
. . . . Speed 5 (Linked; Speed: 250 mph, 2200 ft./rnd)
. . . . Super-Movement 5 (Linked; slow fall, swinging, trackless, wall-crawling 2 (full speed))

Razor Swords (Device 3) (Easy to lose)
. . Razor Sword Strikes (Strike 2) (DC 21, Feats: Improved Critical 2 (Razor Sword Strikes (Strike 2)); Autofire (interval 2, max +5) [4 extra ranks], Penetrating [1 extra rank]; Mighty, Precise)

Attack Bonus: +9 (Ranged: +9, Melee: +12, Grapple: +16)

Attacks: Mini Rocket (Blast 9) (DC 24), Razor Sword Strikes (Strike 2), +12 (DC 21), Unarmed Attack, +12 (DC 19)

Defense: +12 (Flat-footed: +4), Knockback: -2

Initiative: +4

Languages: Corsican, English, French Native, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish

Totals: Abilities 38 + Skills 32 (126 ranks) + Feats 17 + Powers 33 + Combat 32 + Saves 13 + Drawbacks 0 = 165

Age (as of Jan 2019): 29
Height: 6’
Weight: 180 lbs.
Ethnicity: Corsican
Hair: Black
Eyes: Gray

Theme Song: Let It All Burn, by Fabvl

Background: It wasn’t supposed to be like this. There was supposed to be justice. Aerin was a hero. Devoted to the ideals so many heroes profess. It wasn’t a lie. Truth. Justice. Protecting and serving. Helping the helpless. Defending the defenceless. He believed. He broke through the first year wall on the strength of his faith. However. The longer he worked, the more he saw it. The world did not work on justice. The systems were broken and favored those with wealth and a lack of empathy. It gnawed at him. Lies. Corruption. Cronyism. God, it gnawed at him. Making him angry. What use was one little hero against institutional forces? The rich and powerful would dodge meaningful consequences. Oh, sometimes they’d sacrifice an especially egregious scumbag, but mostly? High priced lawyers and infinite media spin from their buddies who owned the media. He got angrier. And angrier. And angrier. And then, at last, he decided. He’d held his tongue. Been a good little hero soldier. Done his part nobly and courageously. And nothing had meaningfully changed. The trouble with heroes was that they couldn’t effect systemic change while remaining true to heroic ideals. Well. There were ways, but they were slow and the rich and powerful knew very well how to counter them. It was going to take patience, unity with the people, and grinding effort. And honestly? Fuck that. It’d be so much easier just to kill the bastards. The very first thing he did was outright murder the only regular member of his fledgling Rogues’ Gallery. It as just like one of their usual confrontations, except Aerin…didn’t stop. He cut the man’s head off in a shocking display of violence. The hero had become a villain.

. . And then The Light appeared on the supers scene.

. . Aerin was one of the Cult’s founders. A believer in True Justice, he has been a key player from the start. In fact, he’s the only member of the first or even second generation not to be jailed thanks to Lakis Hasapis or killed by The Light. He takes it to me that he has his god’s favor. This…isn’t true. It’s more like he doesn’t have Lakis’s disfavor. The masked Holter is a renowned international terrorist (though he’d argue he’s terrorizing the right people and isn’t responsible for anyone else’s fears) and the acknowledged leader (or Chief Judge) of the Cult, but has remained elusive thanks to no one knowing his real identity. He doesn’t quite understand why The Light hasn’t killed Lakis for interfering in their holy mission, but it is not for Aerin to know his god’s reasons for doing things. Unlike most of the now gone first and second generations, he’s perfectly fine with sending criminals to prison for lengthy sentences. He’s a servant of True Justice, not a rampaging murderer. This is the reason he’s still alive. However. Those who escape mundane justice through legal trickery, corruption, or other foul methods will be slaughtered like the worthless bastards they are. Along with the legal professionals, politicians, and law enforcers who enable them though their own corruption and/or gross negligence.

Powers & Tactics: Aerin has no superhuman powers. He does, however, have three devices of his own design. A movement device and two weapons. The Omnidirectional Grapple Belt uses compressed air to fire grappling hooks attached to cutting edge monowire lines. There is a grappling hook and line combo on each side of it, with a miniaturized air compressor on the back. The gyroscopes and wire reel retraction system are quite advanced, allowing him to effortlessly climb walls, stop falls, and generally swing through a given area all at racecar speeds. The controls are wired, attached to a pressure pad on the tips of each middle (for shooting a hook out) and ring (for retracting a cable) finger.

. . His primary weapons are the Razor Swords. They’re just a pair of swords, really. Viciously sharp and capable of slicing through armor like butter, but swords. The trick behind them is that the blades are quite fragile and can easily break. Aerin is a…mediocre blacksmith and not nearly wealthy enough to inconspicuously buy quality steel, so instead the blades easily detach via a lever in the handles and he can slot in one of the dozen or so replacement blades stashed on his hips, bracketing the grappling hook launchers.

. . His other weapon is a goddamn cut down rocket launcher. Literally. The Mini Rocket Launcher launches explosive mini rockets. He made it and the rockets himself. They’re kind of heavy, so he can only carry five at a time before resupplying at a safehouse. The neat trick with this is that they don’t always explode on impact. Sometimes he sets a condition that has to happen before it explodes. Like a certain amount of time having passed, or he pressed a button on a remote. He can get really creative with this.

. . Tactically, he’s basically a flying swordsman in his usual urban setting. A hit and run fighter using his Omnidirectional Grapple Belt to whip through the air and slash less mobile targets to ribbons. He has Acrobatic Bluff and high Stealth to aid in getting that first big Power Attack in, and can decimate vehicles and groups of foes with a well timed or Triggered Mini Rocket. He takes great care with his Mini Rockets, however, having no desire to harm bystanders or do unnecessary property damage. He can even be found still doing hero work, just a bit more…lethally than before. And as Chief Judge of The Cult of The Light, he’s got lots of eager henchmen to help him out in a fight. He’s incapable of power stunting.

Personality: Aerin is an passionate man. Consumed by righteous fury, he strikes out against the enemies of True Justice. His devotion to his god is fanatical. However, he is a well spoken and articulate fanatic, not the frothing at the mouth type. He believes deep in his bones, in the very foundation of what and who he is, that the world will be a better place without all the ruthless, corrupt, amoral bastards with no regard for the personhood of others. That he’s effectively joined their ranks in the process of removing them hasn’t occurred to him, and in many ways never could. The hero and good man he was is still clearly visible. Innocents or those who’ve made mistakes are to be protected. It’s all the more tragic he’s become what he has, honestly.

. . Don’t bother trying to save or redeem him. It can’t be done. He’s too far gone. Kick his ass, and put him in prison. And make sure none of the Cult comes to visit, or he might get broken out. Not even exposing Lakis as The Light will sway him, as he doesn’t serve a man, but a god and his ideals.
Last edited by EternalPhoenix on Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Davies

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: Lestari, Reina Wong, Holter [Aerin Grosvenor])

Post by Davies »

That's another combination I never would have considered.
Gilliam

Re: The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse; Newest: Lestari, Reina Wong, Holter [Aerin Grosvenor])

Post by Gilliam »

I have to agree as well and wish I had thought of it myself :)
EternalPhoenix

Ninguem

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Ninguem

Overview

Ninguem literally means nobody, or no one. It might seem strange for such a conspicuous group to call themselves that, but it’s ultimately as aggressive and rebellious as everything else about Shazza Ferreira. The original membership and still the vast majority of the gang (because they are still a neighborhood/street gang at heart) were and still are residents of the slums of Rio de Janeiro. The (in?)famous favelas. Trapped in poverty, with many preyed upon by criminals. Places regarded by Brazilians as both embarrassment and a source of pride in their resiliency. Many were and are indeed vibrant communities. However…the reality of modern democracy is that their voices are not always heard. Wealth and social class dictate who gets political power far more than sheer numbers. So when Ninguem calls themselves nobody, this is what they mean. It’s turning a source of weakness into a source of pride. After all, if a bunch of nobodies can take over most of Rio’s favelas (pushing out the drug cartels, illegal paramilitary organizations, and even the military and police), then being somebody doesn’t mean shit, does it? And because this is Shazza we’re talking about, it’s also a most emphatic “Fuck You” to anyone who even thinks they’re somebody.

. . In practical terms, Ninguem functions basically as a cult of personality. Without Shazza, the whole thing would have either never started to begin with or collapsed into squabbling, easily conquered factions a long time ago. She started it herself and she runs it herself. Santiago Valdés is the unofficial second in command, because 1. She’s gotta sleep sometime and 2. Even as fast as she is she can’t be in more than one place at one time. It is unclear how much authority Cecilia Bridges and Raquel Fernandes actually have. While they don’t give orders or take command in the traditional sense (Cecilia only makes requests which are sometimes denied without known consequence; Raquel functions as a leader only in direct combat without Shazza or Santiago present), the only people who give them orders are Shazza and occasionally Santiago.

. . Superheroic response has been singularly ineffective. The power of Shazza and Raquel (whom the former can rapidly reposition at need), the sheer versatility of Santiago, and the incredible support of Cecilia make facing them in combat a daunting proposition. They’ve firmly buried any hero to oppose them so far, but Brazil’s few Five Year Vets are taking the opportunity to finally get organized. Evidence suggests this may end up being a piecemeal and thus ineffective response, as Ninguem takes it as hard to the drug cartels and criminal paramilitaries as it does the Brazilian military and police. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, and may even have its uses, say some. The former two are far less equitable to the citizen under their rule, after all. Shazza isn’t one to be controlled but endless territorial expansion would eventually lead to the gang being ground down though sheer weight of numbers. Provided, of course, favelas in other Brazilian or even South American cities don’t sprout their own versions of Ninguem and start fighting for Shazza. That’s a road that leads directly to open civil warfare. So the future of the gang remains to be seen.

Tactics

Look, they’re a street gang at heart. If it comes to a fight they unleash balls to the wall, pedal to the metal violence. Their only goals for now are to take over the rest of Rio’s favelas and defend what they’ve already taken. Shazza isn’t the type to significantly plan ahead, so she may change her mind later and decide to take all of Rio. Or Brazil. Or South America. Who knows?

. . The bulk of the gang is comprised of Gang Leader and Thug minion archetypes, with improved equipment such as Assault Rifles (Blast 5, Autofire) and Body Armor (Protection 4) replacing their usual Light Pistols (Blast 3) and Leather Jackets (Protection 1). More elite members, such as those in leadership positions below that of Santiago, would use the Assassin or SWAT Officer archetypes, swapping their guns for Blaster Rifles (Blast 8). The Assassin acquires Body Armor, while the SWAT Officer picks up Defensive Roll 2. Any of these gang members may have Fragmentation Grenades (Blast 5, Burst Area), or more rarely, a one-shot RPG Launcher (Blast 8, Burst Area, Unreliable 2 [1 use]) or Rocket Launcher (Blast 10, Burst Area, Unreliable 2 [1 use]). Groups of at least five may have a type of Mortar (Light [Blast 5], Medium [Blast 7], or Heavy [Blast 9], all with Burst Area). Groups of at least 15 may even have Light Field Artillery (Blast 8, Burst Area, Increased Range 3 [800 ft]). The Mortars and Artillery are used carefully and sparingly against mundane human opposition due to Brazil’s army having, you know, a few more of them than Ninguem does, Shazza and Santiago having similar firepower at their disposal, and a strong desire not to smash down noncombatants' homes. Being poor is hard enough. Homelessness doesn’t need to be thrown on top of it. If they’re fighting outside of Rio and to a lesser extent Brazil due to accompanying Shazza somewhere else, they’re not going to give a shit. Bombs away.

. . Additionally, in the Phoenixverse those who have reached PL 12 have earned a special free Benefit feat that slightly alters the rules on Extra and/or Extraordinary Effort for them. Both Shazza Ferreira and Raquel Fernandes have earned one. They are detailed below.

Accelerated ARMS (Shazza Ferreira)-Shazza may use Extra Effort to apply Autofire to all powers in her ARMS.EXE Array for the rest of the current combat. For Assault Rifle Mode, this reduces the degree of the attack roll’s success required to raise damage DC by 1 from 2 over Defense to 1 over Defense. The other Array settings use Autofire normally.

Intrude (Raquel Fernandes-Raquel can Surge for another Standard or Move Action for free every other round. A Standard Action may be used to attack, as normal. This does not count as Extra Effort and thus does not award a Hero Point.
Last edited by EternalPhoenix on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
EternalPhoenix

Cecilia Bridges

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Cecilia Bridges

Power Level: 8; Power Points Spent: 195/195

STR: +0 (10), DEX: +1 (12), CON: +2 (14), INT: +5 (20), WIS: +5 (20), CHA: +3 (16)

Tough: +10, Fort: +5, Ref: +5, Will: +8

Skills: Bluff 7 (+10), Computers 5 (+10), Craft (electronic) 5 (+10), Craft (mechanical) 5 (+10), Diplomacy 12 (+15), Gather Information 7 (+10), Knowledge (life sciences) 5 (+10), Knowledge (technology) 5 (+10), Language 4 (+4), Notice 10 (+15), Sense Motive 10 (+15), Stealth 9 (+10)

Feats: Accurate Attack, Attack Specialization 2 (Bladed Rings (Device 2)), Dodge Focus 3, Improved Critical (Ring Strikes (Strike 4)), Skill Mastery (Diplomacy, KN (technology, Notice, Sense Motive), Takedown Attack, Uncanny Dodge (Auditory)

Powers:
ARMS SUPPORT Armoring (Protection 8) (+8 Toughness)

ARMS SUPPORT PROGRAMS (Array 41) (default power: healing)
. . ALTER.EXE (Transform 8) (Array; affects: broad > broad - inorganic to inorganic, Transforms: 250 lbs., DC 18; Autofire (interval 2, max +5), Duration (continuous))
. . CONSUME.EXE (Linked)
. . . . Blast 8 (Linked; DC 23; Autofire (interval 2, max +5), Penetrating)
. . . . Drain 8 (Linked; drains: single trait, DC 18; Affects Objects, Autofire (interval 2, max +5), Range (ranged))
. . PROTECT.EXE (Immunity 80) (Array; lethal energy damage, lethal physical damage, nonlethal energy damage, nonlethal physical damage; Affects Others, Burst Area (400-800 ft. radius - General), Duration (continuous); Distracting, Duration (sustained), Limited - Half Effect; Progression, Increase Area (area x2), Selective)
. . RESTORE.EXE (Healing 10) (Default; DC 20; Action (standard), Burst Area (50-500 ft. radius - General), Restoration, Selective Attack, Total; Persistent, Progression, Increase Area 3 (area x10), Regrowth)

Bladed Rings (Device 2) (Easy to lose, Only you can use)
. . Ring Strikes (Strike 4) (DC 19, Feats: Improved Critical (Ring Strikes (Strike 4)); Autofire (interval 2, max +5); Extended Reach (5 ft.))

Attack Bonus: +8 (Ranged: +8, Melee: +8, Grapple: +8)

Attacks: ALTER.EXE (Transform 8), +8 (DC Fort 18), Blast 8, +8 (DC 23), Drain 8, +8 (DC Fort/Staged 18), Ring Strikes (Strike 4), +12 (DC 19), Unarmed Attack, +8 (DC 15)

Defense: +6 (Flat-footed: +2), Knockback: -5

Initiative: +1

Languages: English Native, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Talian

Totals: Abilities 32 + Skills 21 (84 ranks) + Feats 9 + Powers 101 + Combat 22 + Saves 10 + Drawbacks 0 = 195

Age (as of Jan 2019): 21
Height: 5’ 2”
Weight: 135 lbs (25 lbs of nanomachines)
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Blue

Background: “The world doesn’t owe you anything.” “You can’t always have what you want.” Cecilia Bridges is exceedingly tired of hearing those sentiments. She knows. She is very well aware, thank you very much. Her brother Stephen was the first candidate for the ARMS System currently being used by Shazza Ferreira. After it was perfected, naturally. She wanted to be his supporter, with the nanomachine technology to aid him properly. But the (infamous) Agency’s brass said no. Her guardian from the orphanage said no. Even her brother said no. Her physical tests said her body couldn’t handle it. Her psychological tests indicated no aptitude for sustained combat. She refused to believe either. They were underestimating her. They had to be. She couldn’t be merely ordinary. Just another normal girl lost in a sea of normal girls.

. . She was in this frame of mind when the aforementioned Shazza broke loose from her restraints and began massacring everyone in a security outfit or a labcoat. The chaos granted Cecilia an opportunity. She slipped into the lab where the support nanomachines were stored, ignored the gunned down scientists, and applied them to herself. The tests were right. She couldn’t physically handle them. The tests also did not show the entire picture. Desire and will or lack thereof can fuck over objective measurement of human capability. Hers was a soul on (metaphorical) fire. She wanted this more than anything and like hell was she going to die in her moment of triumph. So she didn’t die. When Shazza returned with members of her gang to aid and recruit the prisoners in the Agency facility, she found Cecilia waiting with Raquel and a handful of former prisoners. It was the smart thing to do. The Agency, her brother, and the orphanage likely had written her off as dead. And she’d basically stolen the support nanomachines. The Agency is, well, not kind to thieves. It was an adjustment to her vision, working with Shazza instead of Stephen, but she’s doing her best.

Powers & Tactics: The ARMS SUPPORT System was created to, well, support the ARMS System. It’s a bunch of nanomachines under the bearer’s mental control. In this case, that is Cecilia. It provides her with improved durability and a variety of support functions in the ARMS SUPPORT PROGRAMS. ALTER.EXE changes up to 250 pounds of any inorganic material into any other inorganic material. This is far more useful than it sounds, allowing her to mimic a wide variety of other powers. CONSUME.EXE is nasty. The nanomachines attack a target directly, tearing it apart at the molecular level. PROTECT.EXE is a massive enhancement of selected targets over a wide area. She can include or exclude whoever she wishes, with the small caveat of the field extends beyond her ability to see and as such she cannot exclude targets at that distance or closer ones that are concealed. Using this has a drawback, however. When it is active her ability to dodge attack decreases to almost nothing. As the field affects her, too, this isn’t a huge problem, but it still is a problem. RESTORE.EXE is a healing field. It’s not quite as large as the previous, meaning the can heal allies without worrying about accidently affecting the opposition due to extreme range. Concealed foes will still be healed if they’re concealed from her specifically, however. The nanomachines can repair any physical damage short of outright death. She also has a set of bladed rings she can use to strike opponents in melee.

. . Tactically, you won’t find her attacking directly while working with members of the gang. She’s a support player. ALTER.EXE can create cover or obscurement out of the literal thin air or the ground beneath. PROTECT.EXE is excellent for keeping the group from being overwhelmed. RESTORE.EXE can get defeated but not slain allies back into the fight. CONSUME.EXE is something she prefers not to use unless alone, as it’s a damn nasty thing to do to another person. As such the wide and variety uses of ALTER.EXE come into play if she’s not using a different power with groups. It can easily replicate any non-damage power from Fatigue (changing the air around the target to something unbreathable) to Snare (warping the target’s clothes, armor, the ground beneath their feet, or the air around them to restrain them) to Dazzle (changing the air to tear gas, or solid sense blocking coverings) to Stun (outright poison gas). She’s even done the equivalent of a perception range damage effect by converting the air into a violently pyrophoric material. She…probably won’t do that again. That guy’s screams haunt her nightmares. Since Transform is so versatile and her other powers cover just about everything else, she doesn’t power stunt.

Personality: Cecilia is a very nice, kind, and compassionate young woman. Polite and well mannered, it can be utterly baffling as to why a classy lady like her is basically hanging out with a violent street gang. Well. She’s also a deeply selfish creature. What she wants is, ultimately, a higher priority for her than anything else. And what she wants is to be the supporting player for the ARMS System currently in the possession of Shazza Ferreira. Her kindness and compassion haven’t exactly withered away. Her conscience is in full working order, and she fully understands she’s become a supervillain. She just doesn’t goddamn care, because she’s getting what she wants. Well. She doesn’t care enough to motivate her to change the situation precisely because she’s getting what she wants. One of those people who’s an absolute sweetheart until they stop getting their way. Most of the time, the good person stuff is an act to cover the ugliness underneath, but not with Cecilia. She really is that good person she seems to be. Except for that one little bit. As such, she does act as a moderating influence within the gang. She understands they’re basically doing urban guerrilla warfare, but there’s no need to act like psychopaths.

. . Cecilia is in no way loyal to Shazza specifically. She likes her, to a degree, but ultimately she is loyal only to the bearer of the ARMS System. As this is currently Shazza, and taking it from the gang leader would probably kill her, Cecilia will stick with her until the bitterest of ends. She’s not about to go to prison for any reason whatsoever. What are you, crazy? Then she couldn’t be the support for the ARMS System. In the distinctly unlikely event that someone heroic ends up with the ARMS System instead of Shazza, Cecilia will happily support that person instead according to their morals and ethics.
Last edited by EternalPhoenix on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.