Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Hellspawn! Stick! Echo! Mister Fear!)

Post by Skavenger »

Y'know, I'm not trying to throw shade at people here, but it's strange how sometimes Marvel can't get any breaks. They introduce someone who's a minority to replace someone, and the fans cry "why don't they just make minority characters with their own identity?" They then push the minority characters they have with their own identity, and people go "I hate they're pushing this minority character."
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Skavenger wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:31 pm Y'know, I'm not trying to throw shade at people here, but it's strange how sometimes Marvel can't get any breaks. They introduce someone who's a minority to replace someone, and the fans cry "why don't they just make minority characters with their own identity?" They then push the minority characters they have with their own identity, and people go "I hate they're pushing this minority character."
It's not pushing minority characters that's the issue it's pushing characters that don't deserve it (lessening the overall quality of the product) and denying the fans the chance to see those character they love and who actually do deserve it. Think of all the decent characters that have yet to be introduced in live action movies that are original, interesting, have a wealth of stories and a long term existing fan base, yet instead of those characters we're getting (mostly teen) copies that have been introduced only in the last decade or so and haven't made much of an impact in the comics, the books featuring them regularly being cancelled. They also quite often have truly terrible personalities, arrogant and entitled and disrespectful to existing heroes at best and 2 dimensional conduits for political tantrums at worst. It's similar with the storylines being used in the movies, relatively recent stories that weren't liked by the majority of the fandom instead of beloved classic storylines. There are some characters that have been seen in live action (whether that be in a movie of TV show) but those movies/shows didn't do the character justice so many fans would rather them be given a second chance, to see them done right than watch a movie/show featuring characters they have no interest in.

When a character is replaced fans generally complain due to the way in which it came about (such as with how Jane Foster took over from Thor) and how the original character/lore is treated not because of the race of gender of the replacement. It's nothing new either, even as far back as the original clone saga when Ben replaced Peter the fans complained because Peter IS Spider-Man not Ben (or anyone else who uses the name or costume). Ben is a literal clone of Peter and the fans still wanted Pete.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Insomnia

Post by Jabroniville »

INSOMNIA (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Karl Kesel & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Daredevil #363 (April 1997)
Role: Keen-Sighted Killer, Evil Businesswoman
PL 7 (103)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 1 (+4)
Perception 8 (+10)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Pistol +4, Flying Platform), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Super-Keen Eyesight" Senses 7 (Extended Vision 3, Low-Light Vision, Analytical Vision, Tracking) [7]
Immunity 1 (Sleep) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Pistol +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Weakness (Daylight)- Insomnia must wear darkened sunglasses to prevent being flash-blinded by regular daylight. She is averse to the day in general, prefering to go out at night.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 10 (103)

-Oh, this is cute. Daredevil, the hero whose gimmick is that he's blind, and his enemy has the gimmick of superior vision. Her origin even mimics his- she was given her powers via a chemical that hit her in the eyes. However, the accident killed her parents and left her with super-sight- she grew rich off the settlement and when we see her, she's the owner of a radio station and is working with Mr. Fear. Her broadcasts are led by Karen Page, who unknowingly broadcasts a signal that robs listeners of their sleep, thus leaving them more susceptible to Mr. Fear's gas. She escapes DD on two separate occasions, including when she takes Karen hostage, and gives Mr. Fear a captured billy club. Then, as the Marvunapp writer notes, she is wiped out by "Changing Writer Syndrome", as Kesel is promptly replaced by Joe Kelly in the next issue, and despite Joe using Mr. Fear repeatedly, Insomnia vanishes, never to be seen again. All she gets is two issues.

-Insomnia is somewhat capable, being a businesswoman with enhanced senses and "continuously-producing adrenaline", which leaves her stronger and tougher than normal. She's also literally an insomniac, somehow able to survive without sleep.
Jabroniville

Ikari

Post by Jabroniville »

IKARI (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Mark Waid & Chris Samnee
First Appearance: Daredevil #25 (June 2013)
Role: Mirror Image Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 10 (156)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+13)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 6 (+12)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Assessment, Chokehold, Equipment (Paired Kusarigama +2), Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Kama) 2, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 2, Seize Initiative, Startle, Tracking

Powers:
"Radar Sense" Senses 5 (Accurate Ranged Radius Radio Sense) [5]
"Super-Taste" Senses 1 (Analytical Taste) [1]
"Super-Hearing" Senses 7 (Accurate Hearing 4, Ultra-Hearing, Extended Hearing 2) [7]
"Super-Scent" Senses 6 (Accurate, Acute & Analytical Scent, Extended Scent 2) [6]
"Super-Touch" Senses 2 (Analytical Touch) [1]

Enhanced Skills 14: Insight +8 (+13), Perception +6 (+16) [7]
"Master Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Kusarigama +14 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +15 (DC 25), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Killing)- Ikari is a paid assassin.
Vulnerable (Dazzles)- If Ikari is struck with especially-loud noises or smells, he is rendered helpless- regular Dazzles do an extra level of effect on him, and even things regular people can stand, like loud trucks, motorcycle engines, or the subway, effect him like a Dazzle. A loud enough noise will leave him Stunned and Incapacitated as well.
Power Loss (Enhanced Insight)- Ikari's "Lie Detector" ability will not work if somebody has a steady or disguised heartrate, such as somebody with a pacemaker.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 15 (156)

-As part of Mark Waid's excellent Daredevil run, an old enemy is trying to drive him slowly insane, then murder him. To this end, he arranges to have dozens of people (and animals) given Murdock's powers (a process that leaves countless dead via radiation) with the same process that blinded Matt, and sent against DD, necessitating Matt fighting off dozens of Radar-Sensing people able to anticipate his movements the way he does others. Matt smartly uses his own weaknesses against his opponents, setting off fire alarms and using pepper and stuff to destabilize these newly-empowered beings... but that doesn't help him against Ikari, his very own Mirror Image Villain. Ikari was a lethal warrior BEFORE being given DD's powers, and so is terrifying and makes short work of Matt.

-Daredevil attempts one big shot by setting off the sprinklers in a sporting-goods store- something he was always terrified of people using on him (it scrambles his senses and the multiple water droplets are irritating as balls to his Super-Touch). He is more used to it, and attempts to grab a baseball bat to smoke out the blinded Ikari. Ikari's response: "Try the red one". Matt realizes too late that "He's not BLI--" and gets a complete ass-kicking. Naturally, Ikari leaves him alive "for next time", which is the CLASSIC villain mistake. For their next fight, DD jacks himself up on adrenaline, takes on Ikari AND Lady Bullseye, and uses some emergency Building-Wrecking to take control, leaving Ikari strong for the next battle. We'll see where Ikari ends up from here.

-Aaaaaaand I guess in the intervening time the Shroud impaled Ikari with a Darkforce spike when he was fighting Daredevil, but then the body disappeared. The character hasn't been seen since 2016, and may have only existed for this one short bit.

-Ikari is basically a deadly assassin packing PL 10-ish stats PLUS Daredevil's Super-Senses, making him an ideal opponent- the extra damage of his curved blades makes Matt bleed all over and nearly finishes him. Naturally, New Villain Stink means he is at first Matt's superior (PL 11-ish), but could theoretically downgrade himself to PL 9 with some poor showings, should they occur.
Jabroniville

Blindspot (Chung)

Post by Jabroniville »

BLINDSPOT II (Samuel Chung)
Created By:
Charles Soule & Ron Garney
First Appearance: All-New, All-Different Marvel Point One #1 (Dec. 2015)
Role: Daredevil's Sidekick
Group Affiliations: The Hand (unwilling)

-Okay... never heard of this guy. He's the son of an illegal immigrant and a trained acrobat, then began stealing various designs to create an invisibility suit for himself as the vigilante "Blindspot". Daredevil could still spot him thanks to his Radar Sense and began training him. The criminal "Tenfingers" also trained him a bit, but they soon realize he's affiliated with The Hand and fight him. However, his mother had been tied in with them, and now considered Sam dead to her. However, in Sam's next outing, he had his eyes gouged out by the villain Muse. His mother then arrived and both saved his eyesight mystically, but bound him to the Hand's leader, "The Beast". Ultimately, Sam sided with Daredevil, resisting Hand control, and his mother sacrificed her life to save him.

-Later, Blindspot seeks out Muse for revenge- he is again overpowered, but The Beast empowers him once more... but he spares his enemy. Muse then kills himself instead, then teams with DD to resist the Beast's invasion of New York.

-Blindspot is another elite martial artist type, probably a PL 8, but with an invisibility suit.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It really can't be understated how cool that Ikari scene was:

The entire fight scene was honestly amazing, and it's a shame almost nothing has been done with Ikari since then. Dude would have been a great addition to Matt's villains and a great villain for other heroes to fight, letting them have a Daredevil fight without the need to job Daredevil.

One thing I think that was criminally neglected was one simple concept: As far as I know, it was never touched on whether or not Ikari's SIGHT had gotten enhanced or not. And really, there's no reason why it shouldn't have, unless Mark Waid established that the chemicals specifically only enhance your other senses and not your sight. Ikari should in theory have sight based versions of Matt's enhanced hearing, granting him telescopic, microscopic and even full spectra vision. Ikari should be someone who actually has an advantage on Matt, though at the same time that enhanced sight could be a weakness. Like Ikari needs to wear sunglasses during the day to prevent vision overload, and fights better at night, or some such.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Blindspot (Chung)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:27 am Image

BLINDSPOT II (Samuel Chung)
Created By:
First Appearance: All-New, All-Different Marvel Point One #1 (Dec. 2015)
Role: Daredevil's Sidekick
Group Affiliations: The Hand (unwilling)

-Okay... never heard of this guy. He's the son of an illegal immigrant and a trained acrobat, then began stealing various designs to create an invisibility suit for himself as the vigilante "Blindspot". Daredevil could still spot him thanks to his Radar Sense and began training him. The criminal "Tenfingers" also trained him a bit, but they soon realize he's affiliated with The Hand and fight him. However, his mother had been tied in with them, and now considered Sam dead to her. However, in Sam's next outing, he had his eyes gouged out by the villain Muse. His mother then arrived and both saved his eyesight mystically, but bound him to the Hand's leader, "The Beast". Ultimately, Sam sided with Daredevil, resisting Hand control, and his mother sacrificed her life to save him.

-Later, Blindspot seeks out Muse for revenge- he is again overpowered, but The Beast empowers him once more... but he spares his enemy. Muse then kills himself instead, then teams with DD to resist the Beast's invasion of New York.

-Blindspot is another elite martial artist type, probably a PL 8, but with an invisibility suit.
I love how designs for an invisibility suit are just laying around to be stolen and not, you know, being put to active use for some gang of invisibile criminals or assassins. That seems to be the laziest excuse for a superpower outside of "is a mutant": deigns for a suit that does this one thing I want the character do just exists and aren't being used by anyone. Deathstalker got his gloves the same way.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Muse

Post by Jabroniville »

MUSE (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
First Appearance: Daredevil #11 (Sept. 2016)
Role: Batman Villain
Group Affiliations: None

-Muse is an insane artist/murderer from Charles Soule's run on Daredevil, painting a mural with the blood of a hundred missing people, then murdering six Inhumans and posing them as if they were doing mundane tasks for another art piece. So... he's a Batman villain. He escaped Daredevil and then mutilated his ally Blindspot, cutting out the vigilante's eyes after his invisibility suit ran out of batteries. DD and some Inhuman investigators captured him and rescued the missing people, while they were still being drained of blood (okay, so he's HALF of a Batman villain. In a modern Batman comic, they'd all be dead and their bodies would be mailed to their relatives). He was imprisoned on New Attilan for a bit, but escaped when NYC Mayor Wilson Fisk declared war on vigilantes- he framed the Punisher for the deaths of several cops, but was eventually beaten by Blindspot, who was first overpowered but then got possessed by the ruler of The Hand and won. However, when Blindspot spared him, Muse killed himself in despair, as dying at Blindspot's hands would have been poetic- he burns himself alive. He only appeared in nine books across a year of stories.

-Muse had a body that acted like a "Vortex", pulling all sensory information around him, making it hard for Daredevil to target him. He was super-strong, able to effortlessly tear apart human bodies and overpower Blindspot repeatedly, and could move faster than the eye could see. So... PL 9-ish with Half-Concealment from All Senses?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And with Muse, I’ve reached the end of the Daredevil set! Well, mostly. Digging through my thread to fix broken image links (I’m through 300 of 1900 pages! Woo!), I realized one set of builds is a bit short on detail. And better yet, they’re Daredevil related! So another 1-2 days to go!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So the next few weeks will be an odd combination of things as I get ready for the big JSA/Golden Age Heroes set (which will feature the legacy characters so doubles as a "JLA" set, which will be completed when I'm done the Golden Agers). First up is actually some re-posts from five years ago, as I found the originals to lack some details or things I do these days, such as separating individual guys into their own builds rather than all in one post. I also went into more detail. So get ready... for possibly Marvel's STUPIDEST and lamest '60s villains- the ANI-MEN!

Next up is a way to re-post another ancient set (one I've posted like 4 times already on various threads, but never on Echoes)- the infamous Defenders of Dynatron City! Then it's another Fighting Game set, which may be posted more quickly than usual depending on the reaction, as I finish out the other half of the Virtua Fighters-verse- Fighting Vipers!

After that I'm gonna hash out another in the four sets of Marvel builds I've yet to place onto Echoes- the Elders of the Universe! After that is a couple of new groups of already-forgotten characters that were suggested by others (Doc Chaos and Skavenger). Only quickie bios with no powers, though, as they're too new and we're out of the "detailed descriptions of powers" era.
Jabroniville

The Ani-Men

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ANI-MEN I-V
Created By:
Wally Wood & Bob Powell
First Appearance: Daredevil #10 (Oct. 1965)
Role: Jobber Villains, Running Gag

-The Ani-Men stand as one of the goofiest, silliest, worst batches of villains in Marvel's history, and possibly/probably a sign of just how inane the Daredevil title was. Created in between Stan Lee issues by Wally Wood & Bob Powell, they debuted as a band of guys in animal costumes, but were usually quickly dealt with. Writers seemed to realize that a team of Cat-Man, Ape-Man and Frog-Man was ridiculous as hell and used them as Jobbers, but then killed them all off. Aaaaaaaaand then a new writer would create some. And then THOSE would die, and a NEW writer would come along and create some. These guys have nearly always been depicted as the low-rent minions of some major villain or another.

THE ANI-MEN I (The 1960s Group/The Unholy Three/Count Nefaria):
-The original Ani-Men were a gang put together by Abner "The Organizer" Jones, a mayoral candidate who used them to discredit the current administration. Daredevil defeats them by beating up Frog-Man and wearing his costume to reveal Jones's deception to the world in a two-issue arc that introduces Debbie Harris, who marries Foggy Nelson after first working for the bad guys. Three years later, Ape-Man, Bird-Man & Cat-Man formed their own group, The Unholy Three, and worked with The Exterminator. Poor Frog-Man was left to wither on the vine, I guess. Their scheme was now to kidnap people via their boss's "T-Ray" and ransom their returns- Daredevil again defeats them, and the T-Ray geneartor explodes. Six years later, the Unholy Three return in Marvel Team-Up fighting both Spider-Man & Daredevil, and are again defeated.

-The very next year (1975), the full team was reunited and empowered by Count Nefaria, who added a "Sexy Bug Chick" woman named Dragonfly, turning the entire group into animal/human hybrids. They're captured by the X-Men and never appear in that book again- this being one of the team's first adventures, I get the distinct impression that Claremont used them as a throwaway villain group to job out to the brand-new X-Men team and put them over as the real deal- Cyclops resists Dragonfly's pheromone power and KO's her, Nightcrawler easily defeats Frog-Man, Colossus punches out Ape-Man, etc.- everyone defeats their opposite number.

-Their deaths are pretty hilarious- Bird-Man, Ape-Man, Cat-Man & Frog-Man (Dragonfly is now absent; I'd bet money the creators forgot she existed, especially since the team at this point are apparently "guys in suits" again, like Nefaria's augmentations "wore off") are sent to kill Tony Stark by Nefaria- however the Spymaster ALSO intended to kill Stark, and sets off a bomb that inadvertently kills all four Ani-Men. Okay, that's amazing.

THE ANI-MEN II (The Death-Stalker's Group):
Created By:
Roger McKenzie, Mary Jo Duffy & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Daredevil #157 (March 1979)

-Literally the same year as the original team died, the Exterminator, now called Death-Stalker and wanting to capture Matt Murdock, recruits a NEW team of Ani-Men, using just Cat-Man, Bird-Man & Ape-Man. Bird-Man II is captured by Black Widow, but his partners are killed by Death-Stalker himself at the end of the mission, in what became a running gag for the villain (he would always use his "Death Touch" only on his henchmen; eventually, he would have trouble recruiting guys). Bird-Man would himself later be victimized by The Scourge of the Underworld in the Bar With No Name- mass-murdered along with countless other lame villains Mark Gruenwald wanted to annihilate (lol I love how he drags this guy out of the mothballs JUST to kill him). As a Scourge victim, this Bird-Man actually ends up resurrected decades later in The Punisher and is still alive to this day!

THE ANI-MEN III (The New Men's Group):
Created By:
Glenn Herdling & Todd Smith
First Appearance: Scarlet Spider Unlimited #1 (Nov. 1995)

-A third group of Ani-Men are some of The New Men (created by the High Evolutionary)- Buzzard, Crushtacean, Flying Fox, Komodo & Spinneret. They interact with Ben Reilly during The Clone Saga, but never appear again. This seems like a particularly random one-off, like Herdling just wanted to use the old name.

THE ANI-MEN IV (Hammerhead's Group):
Created By:
Chuck Dixon & Bob Wakelin
First Appearance: Code of Honor #3 (April 1997)

-A fourth group appears during something called Code of Honor, getting into stuff while all the good heroes have been abducted by the Beyonder again. Ape-Man, Bird-Man & Frog-Man use the equipment of the originals, and later join Hammerhead's gang during the Civil War (there's no statement that it's the same crew, but they're the only living Ani-Men...). Much of Hammerhead's gang is arrested or killed during a fight with S.H.I.E.L.D. when Iron Man is tricked into their gathering by the Kingpin. Their fate is unrevealed. No Frog-Man is ever seen with this group after their introductory panel, where he's helping them steal.

THE ANI-MEN V (GLA Joke Group):
Created By:
Dan Slott & Paul Pelletier
First Appearance: GLA #1 (June 2005)

-A FIFTH group appears, comprised of even sillier cast members Giraffe-Man, Great Horned Owl-Man, Pig-Man & Rabbit-Woman, and act as eco-terrorists fighting against those who transgress against the animal kingdom- The Great Lakes Avengers are called in to the case, but the ACTUAL Avengers are called and tell the GLA to sit this one out so they won't get hurt. This group consists of only a couple gag panels, mostly to show how ridiculous they are, and how bad the GLA must be if THEY'RE deemed too ineffective to fight these guys.

The Ani-Men Overall:
-This all adds up to make them a running gag with zero credibility. Perfect for goofy Jobbers not meant to be taken seriously. The current Ani-Men likely have the same stats as the simplistic, weak first and second versions (who also don't differentiate amongst each other enough to gain different stats). So essentially, there is Bird-Man I-III, Cat-Man I-III, Ape-Man I-III, Frog-Man I-II, and the rest are originals.
Jabroniville

Bird-Man (Hawk)

Post by Jabroniville »

BIRD-MAN I (Henry Hawk)
Created By:
Wally Wood & Bob Powell (I)
First Appearance: Daredevil #10 (April 1965- I)
Role: Jobber Villain, Animal Guy
Group Affiliations: The Ani-Men (first group), The Unholy Three
PL 6 (58)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+8)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Startle

Powers:
"Winged Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [5]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (5)
Protection 1 (1)
-- (6 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 11 (58)

---

BIRD-MAN I (Henry Hawk)- Modified by Count Nefaria
Created By:
Wally Wood & Bob Powell (I)
First Appearance: Daredevil #10 (April 1965- I)
PL 6 (65)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Talons" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split) [4]
"Wings" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
Senses 3 (Extended Vision 2, Low-Light Vision) [3]

Offense:
Talons +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +8

Defenses:

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 11 (65)

-Bird-Man is pretty silly, but not moreso than the rest of his team. Most notable is his real name, Henry Hawk, derived from the Looney Tunes character. He tends to swoop down on top of people, but Daredevil pummelled him to unconsciousness in his debut story-arc. In 1978, he fights the new team of X-Men alongside his teammates, but is defeated by Wolverine & Nightcrawler. He dies alongside the others thanks to the Spymaster.

-Bird-Man is pretty terrible- just a PL 5-on-offense loser in a Flying Costume- even BOOMSLANG would kick this guy's ass! As an animal-man, he upgrades to PL 6.
Jabroniville

Bird-Man (DeBacco)

Post by Jabroniville »

BIRD-MAN II (Achille DeBacco)
Created By:
Roger Mackenzie, Mary Jo Duffy & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Daredevil #157 (March 1977)
Group Affiliations: The Ani-Men (second group)
PL 6 (58)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Winged Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [5]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (5)
Protection 1 (1)
-- (6 points)

Offense:
Initiative +8

Defenses:

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 9 (58)

---

BIRD-MAN II (Achille DeBacco)- Post-Resurrection
Created By:
Roger Mackenzie, Mary Jo Duffy & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Daredevil #157 (March 1977)
Group Affiliations: The Ani-Men (second group)
PL 7 (74)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 7 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Bird Vision" Senses 3 (Ultra, Low-Light & Extended Vision) [3]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 11 (74)

-The second Bird-Man is basically exactly like the first. Bird-Man's a loser who tangled with DD and the Black Widow once, and that was it- PURE Jobberdom at it's finest here, as he's just a regular guy in pretty good shape who wears a silly animal costume. His backstory is pretty amusing- he loses to the Black Widow and is taken away, leaving his teammates... who are quickly killed by their boss, the Death-Stalker, in a capricious bit of punishment for being sucky minions (or just for his own amusement). Bird-Man thus survives this two-issue arc, but only Mark Gruenwald remembered him. Knowing his "Loser Villains" quite well, Gruenwald later included Bird-Man among the villains gathered at the "Bar With No Name" to discuss this mysterious "Scourge of the Underworld" that's been killing many Jobber Villains just like them... only it's revealled that the BARTENDER HIMSELF is Scourge in disguise, and he mows down all the assembled villains. Bird-Man II thus dies like his teammates and predecessor.

-Bird-Man's history as a Scourge victim actually becomes very useful to him- in a later Punisher arc by Rick Remender, ALL of Scourge's victims are brought back to life! Bird-Man, unusually, gets to live, with recurring gags over him attempting to eat teammate The Human Fly. Nonetheless, he's used to makes escapes with some of the others, and gets to survive that arc. He's even alive to this day! Likely writers just forgot he was dead, as he's long-since "orphaned" from his team (who only ever appeared in two issues).

-The second Bird-Man is identical to the first, but when he's resurrected by the Hood (along the other Scourge victims), he gains a supernatural body, being stronger than a normal person. Still a loser, he's at least PL 7 now a respectable jobber.
Jabroniville

Bird-Man (Backgrounder)

Post by Jabroniville »

BIRD-MAN III (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Chuck Dixon & Bob Wakelin
First Appearance: Code of Honor #3 (April 1997)

-The third Bird-Man is literally just a face in the background- it can be merely assumed he's been the same man for a while.
Jabroniville

Cat-Man (Horgan)

Post by Jabroniville »

CAT-MAN I (Townsend Horgan)
Created By:
Wally Wood & Bob Powell
First Appearance: Daredevil #10 (April 1965)
PL 6 (61)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3/6
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6/+9)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5/+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
"Cat Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [12]
Enhanced Agility 3 (6)
Protection 1 (1)
Enhanced Skills 6: Athletics 6 (+8) (3)
Leaping 1 (15 feet) (1)
"Claws" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split, Improved Critical) (4)
-- (15 points)

Offense:
Claws +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+4 Costume), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 6 (61)

---

CAT-MAN I (Townsend Horgan)- Modified by Count Nefaria
Created By:
Wally Wood & Bob Powell
First Appearance: Daredevil #10 (April 1965)
PL 7 (74)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 4 (+10)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold

Powers:
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Cat Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Extended & Acute Scent) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+4 Costume), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 6 (74)

-Cat-Man is just a grown man in a kitty costume- he was usually the least-prominent of the team (Frog-Man was beaten up and imitated by Daredevil; Ape-Man was stronger and took more shots to bring down; Bird-Man could swoop and fly around). In the X-Men issue, he pounced on Wolverine, but was KO'd by Colossus with one punch.