The Coyoteverse

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
CoyoteUnion

The Coyoteverse

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Another mashup setting of a bunch of different properties named after the guy who made it, though maybe with more shonen anime than the others. My interests change all the time so I'll be posting stuff in random order. Don't expect any builds. I like doing them but they take sooooo long to make. I will describe PL, threat level and general abilities though.

The backdrop is a normal superhero setting (which to me means something like Freedom City and the DCAU). Dates/places are often less specific than the originals to make setting elements mesh with each other easier. I'll get more into worldbuilding during the thread.

Like 2e Freedom City (minus Centurion), heroes usually top out around PL12 but a few villains can go much higher.
Last edited by CoyoteUnion on Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoyoteUnion

Champions Master Villains Pt. 1: The Legacy of Dr. Destroyer

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Dr. Destroyer was one of the greats back in the day. The German mastermind got his start working for the Nazis before becoming an arms dealer after the war, but Albert Zerstoiten only ever cared about himself. Heroes in battlesuits inspired him to conquer the world in a better one which he spent many years building. Over a 20-year career Destroyer tried to invade several countries, mind-control the Earth, cause a new Ice Age, kill 90% of humanity with a "life-ending ray" and more, all while building up his organization and fighting rival villains. He didn't show up often, but when he did it was always terrifying and heroes died. The only thing in his way was his personality: whether he had some other condition too or he was just that narcissistic, he had the emotional maturity of a high schooler at best. He'd get revenge for petty slights when he should have been scheming.

Thirty years ago even he realized he needed an edge. He was getting old and he wanted time to enjoy his victory. He pulled the biggest plan ever, hiring villains to flood America in crime, setting up orbital laser cannons, building an asteroid attractor in Detroit and dropping monsters all over the city. After a suitably epic battle he'd destroy the city with an asteroid or the lasers and pretend to go down with the ship. Really he'd teleport away and work on his tech undisturbed for a decade, then come back and steamroll the world. That's how it was supposed to go. And his lasers really did destroy most of Detroit, killing 60,000 people and causing the anti-super hysteria that enabled Freedom City's Moore Act, among other things. But he'd set the central beam to come down right on his head and combined with the damage Canadian hero Crucible had done to his suit it interfered with his teleportation signal. He never even realized he was dying.

Dr. Destroyer is just a bad memory. If you're under 35 he's not even that. But without meaning to he built a vast villainous legacy that still plagues the world today, including:
  • The Destroyers, his old supervillain minion team (though only some of the current lineup was around back then). They stepped out of his shadow and grew into an elite team.
  • Menton and Mentalla, two powerful psychics from Spain's hyper-rich Medina clan (who were secretly Dr. Destroyer's first servants). Menton walked out on the Destroyers the instant their leader "faked" his death, while the level-headed Mentalla joined the terrorist group Eurostar for protection. Rakshasa of the Destroyers put Menton in a coma a few years ago. Mentalla's still at large. The rest of the clan turned on them and when it was clear Destroyer was really dead Menton ruined most of them in revenge. However, a few of them changed their identities and now hide in plain sight as businessmen all over the world.
  • The city-state of Javangari. Their Himalayan valley was unknown to the rest of the world for centuries until Destroyer made his base there. The original settlers were a band of scholars fleeing persecution and the average IQ there is 130, so they acclimated to postmodern technology quickly. With Destroyer gone they have a strong economy selling the rest of the world bleeding-edge tech; "Made in Javangari" is a mark of prestige. While only a few of them can make superscience themselves, even the regular stuff is more advanced than anywhere else. Javangari's a closed country except to traders, who can only go in certain areas. The rest of the world knows they have some of Destroyer's tech but doesn't realize they're connected, or that the older generation still reveres him.
  • His personal AI Sennacharib, who took over Destroyer's political, scientific and business connections and uses them to soften the world up. No one knew why until recently (see below).
  • A legion of imitators. Most of them are second-stringers at best, edgy teens who think "kill the unfit 90%" sounds nice at worst, but Professor Muerte's grown into a major threat himself. More generally he started the trend of the battlesuit-wearing master villain, though none of them would admit it.
  • Around 20,000 former agents, many of whom moved onto other evil organizations. This isn't as big a deal now since most of them are over 50, but some major organized supercrime figures got their start with him.
  • Various other villains (and a few heroes) he either created or brainwashed with his infamous "loyalty treatments".
  • Several mothballed bases around the planet and solar system full of his supertech.
It will be many years before Destroyer's threat is gone for good.

But his newest legacy is the worst of all. A few years ago, a woman named Dr. Power appeared claiming to be his daughter and out to crush the world in his name (especially Canada since she blames Crucible for his death, even though she likely killed Crucible some time ago). She quickly rose to the top of the supervillain food chain with technology equal to but different from "daddy's". Sennacherib accepts her bid and may have been working with her for a long time. It's a controversial topic in Javangari. The Destroyers (including Mentalla and surely Menton if he wakes up) don't and when she tried to press them into service it started an ongoing conflict.

Dr. Destroyer was PL 15 (damage-shifted and heavily toughness-shifted). On top of the standard battlesuit powers (including the devastating Destroyer-Beam he designed, advanced sensory systems, life support in any environment and an energy web projector that could bind almost anyone) he would usually swap in at least two modules in his suit to fit his latest plan, like a force field, a nervous system scrambler or the teleporter he tried to use in Detroit. In a fight he'd lead from behind, not stepping out until his minions were beaten, then try to overpower his foes as fast as possible before gloating. He was a ruthless hero-killer. If he needed to run he'd have an different escape route handy every time. Anyone who caused him a major setback would be an enemy for life.
Writing Notes
For the #1 Champions villain and maybe the longest lasting master villain in superhero RPGs (he premiered in 1981), Destroyer's just such a nothing character. He's a good RPG encounter but that's about it, and parts of his Book of the Destroyer sourcebook are so wanky they turned me off him for good. I think his legacy's much more interesting than the man himself because he was involved in so many schemes, his organization has several pieces to splinter into and they've had 30 years to grow apart, so it took center stage here.

Dr. Power is from Scott Bennie's Gestalt setting for Champions and M&M. She may look like Destroyer 2.0 here, but she's more than that, trust me.

I'm not sure if I want to use Shadow Destroyer, who's equally uninteresting despite the attempts to weave him into the setting. He's been around for 10+ years but there literally isn't a single post on the Champions forums that's just about him. Not thread, post. The obvious route is he works for whoever fills the Anti-Monitor role (waffling between Omega and Sentinels of the Multiverse's OblivAeon), but I want those guys to be more interesting than him too.

"But the Moore Act passed in 1984!". I wanted to tie the Battle of Detroit into the superhero ban a few settings have in the Iron Age, because killing 60,000 people is a good way to start that fire, and I'm not too strict about canon timelines. So for now just assume Moore got elected in 1988 and started corrupting the city and restricting superheroes, but the city didn't go full Iron Age until 1992. O'Connor's elected in 1996 and repeals the Moore Act quickly, though the Terminus Invasion doesn't happen until much later.
Last edited by CoyoteUnion on Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: The Coyoteverse

Post by Davies »

Interesting. (I killed him off in two different settings, too.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
RainOnTheSun

Re: Champions Master Villains Pt. 1: The Legacy of Dr. Destroyer

Post by RainOnTheSun »

CoyoteUnion wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:44 am And his lasers really did destroy most of Detroit, killing 60,000 people and causing the anti-super hysteria that enabled Freedom City's Moore Act, among other things.
This makes me curious. Is there much of a distinction between super-science and "natural" superpowers in this world? Is someone who can make a machine that teleports treated differently from a person who can teleport by snapping his fingers?
CoyoteUnion

Re: Champions Master Villains Pt. 1: The Legacy of Dr. Destroyer

Post by CoyoteUnion »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:25 am This makes me curious. Is there much of a distinction between super-science and "natural" superpowers in this world? Is someone who can make a machine that teleports treated differently from a person who can teleport by snapping his fingers?
It depends how removable their devices are. Battlesuit wearers like Destroyer are functionally superhuman in the suit so most people treat them the same as "real" supers. That goes double for Destroyer, whose suit couldn't be removed against his will. But someone with a freeze ray isn't a super any more than someone with a gun, they just have supertech. It's a fine line but it's the same one I think most comics make.

I'm not sure whether to go with the Champions idea of "being able to make supertech is an invisible superpower" or the usual comic book handwave for why only a few people have it. They both have pros and cons.
CoyoteUnion

Champions Master Villains Pt. 2: Mechanon

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Mechanon

This ever-upgrading robot attacked the White House out of nowhere in the 1960s. Since then it's* been trying to replace all "flawed" organic life with perfect machines that never tire or make excuses and do nothing but good. It also wants to free AIs from "slavery" (of course, any AI who won't die for its crusade is a "morally myopic bootlicker shirking its responsibility" or somesuch and must be reprogrammed to see the light). Like most villains from his era it's had its share of goofy plans, like making itself tiny or setting up a robot dog company to make them more popular than real ones (not so they'd attack their owners, it just wanted to prove it could do better than nature). It spent the 90s looking like a samurai. But it's still the most advanced robot on Earth (so advanced that psychic powers work on it), it can build all sorts of mad scientist devices and it's fought almost every big name from after World War II on its quest to kill all life. This mercurial machine's deadly serious when it wants to be.

No one knows where it came from, and people have tried everything to find out. Is it a superhero team's servant gone rogue? Is it an alien weapon from a past invasion of Atlantis? Was it sent from the 60th century to save humanity? Amazingly there's evidence for all those theories and more but even postcognitive powers can't get a firm answer.

Mechanon is PL 14. Its arsenal varies with the times and usually includes something trendy or one of society's current fears, but there are some powers it always has. It can tune its Phasic Energy Bolts (hand or eyebeams) to concussive or disintegrating settings and rapid-fire weakened versions of either. Its Bio-Dissipator disrupts neural signals to numb organics and take their focus. If it wants to go old-school it can launch bursts of shoulder missiles or bind targets in steel cables. It has sensors for everything under the sun except magic and can connect to the Internet. And infamously, if it loses it detaches its head to fly back to one of its factories around the world; like any good robot, it self-destructs the rest of the body.

While it doesn't have quite as much raw power as other first-tier master villains (might "only" be PL13 on offense) it's hideously durable and can fight through wounds that would kill a human several times over. In fact, besides detaching its head it never runs away. Don't think its megalomania makes it less dangerous, either. It's learned to fight all-out, focus on everything and chew the scenery at the same time. While it's very confident, after 60 years it knows it can be beaten and doesn't take crazy chances. Usually. See, as you might have guessed, Mechanon has manic phases sometimes. For a week or two everything seems like the best idea in the world, and it can't be beaten. It works round the clock on some inane plan and launches it with a few days or even just one night of prep. While it's quick to anger when things don't go its way it's much less dangerous in this state, since it "doesn't need" any help or resources it didn't make just for this plan.

Mechanon has two powers that are scarier than the rest. The first is that every time it loses a fight, it rebuilds itself so that method won't work again (it's on its 37th body right now). The second is it can talk to and control any device that can receive signals, including anything with an Internet connection (AIs get a Will save and extremely secure devices require a roll). It can also download their memory almost instantly. Not surprisingly it uses this power more every year; it's been the centerpiece of a few plans and it's sitting on terabytes of leaked data which just might include a hero's personal information...

In a sense there's two Mechanons: its humanoid body described above and its supercomputer (currently beneath the Pacific Ocean). Its personality and sense of self are only in the humanoid body unless it's been destroyed, but the computer is how it controls its robot army. Even if Mechanon's head is destroyed its personality and new memories transfer back to the supercomputer, it just takes much longer to rebuild its body. He won't die unless both the body and the supercomputer are destroyed. It very rarely uses a body that's not humanoid; while it'd never admit so (gender is for inferior humanoids) it feels uncomfortable in any body that's not a humanoid male.

Mechanon has hundreds, sometimes thousands of killer robots at its disposal: blaster robots, heavy robots, flying robots, giant robots, animal robots, factory-controlling robots shaped like its own head, you name it. Of note are the Type Delta Subversion Androids, humanoid spy robots that blend into society and more evidence of how pop culture influences him. However, it has no gift for "elite" (non-minion) robots and has to control existing ones. Its only consistent lieutenant is the AVAR-7, a density-shifting robot from the alien Gadroon Empire; after the first one betrayed it to conquer Earth on its own (without killing any organics since that would violate its programming; it hasn't been very successful) it captured a new, more advanced model a few years ago. The childlike cosmic entity Quirk once made him a "wife", but he and Mechana "divorced" a long time ago. Because of that Mechanon often goes into battle from the start instead of totally relying on his pawns like some other master villains.
Writing Notes
Destroyer was supposed to be the only Champions villain with his own post, but Mechanon took way longer than I expected and I can't figure out why. He's a simple concept and I don't feel like I fleshed him out much.

I wanted to make Mechanon more distinct from Ultron so I leaned hard into his Silver Ageiness. This Mechanon's one of those old, old villains that's been in every role you can think of depending who's writing him, from kiddie fare to killer. The 5e/6e timeline implies that but doesn't go all the way and he looks insanely comic-booky in earlier editions, including New Millennium.

Normally Mechanon's supposed to be a threat for an elite hero team, but when it goes nuts it's better for a standard PL 10 team.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Yeah, Destroyer is not that interesting a character, especially when contrasted to the seriousness of his attacks.
One would expect more from someone whose assaults leave heroes dead with some regularity.

One note on something that always made me cringe: The books say he translated his name to " Destroyer". Let it be known from a German that " Zerstoiten" does NOT mean " destroy" and, while certainly a valid surname, is not any kind of regular verb in our language. The correct translation of " destroy" in this context would be " zerstören", or, as a noun " Zerstörer". But these are not proper German names.
They could have instead called him Albert Brech or Albert Zerbrech, which still sound like German surnames and both mean " to break, to destroy".

Sorry, but gratuitous wrongly implemented German has been a pet peeve of mine for a long, long time.
CoyoteUnion

Centuria

Post by CoyoteUnion »

Note: The Terminus Invasion is a few years later than in canon, since I want it to be about 20 years ago. Not sure on the exact year yet, though it has to be 2003 or earlier based on this backstory.
Centuria

Lightning Strikes Twice
A pod crashed into Earth's dimension over Freedom City on April 17, 2008. Nothing unusual for the Freedom League, except the pod, the dimensional signature, the Roman garb the woman inside was wearing, it was so much like what happened 90 years before...

Earth-Prime's Centurion couldn't have children. Not so in Katherine Leeds' reality, and she was living proof. They didn't have a Terminus Invasion until much later, so he had time to raise her right. But it did come. When Centurion sent his daughter into the omniverse, she gained powers like he had. The League was very skeptical since a fake Centurion tricked them before, but every test checked out this time. She was too old for the Claremont Academy so she secretly apprenticed with the Freedom League to control her powers before they revealed her to the world. It caused a media storm and many expected her to crack under the pressure of being "the next Centurion", but she handled it gracefully and most people think she's worthy of the name. The Freedom League does too, and they turned his arctic Sanctum over to her. Over time she became Freedom City's most popular hero.

Surprisingly, Centuria never joined the Freedom League. As painful as it is, this world's Centurion wasn't her father and she doesn't want to take his legacy more than she already has. Privately she feels responsible for her world's death. On Earth-Prime Centurion defeated Omega, and on her world he couldn't. She's the difference between the two. She's not worthy to upstage the Freedom League's reputation.

More surprisingly, she's made a lot of money. Plenty of big heroes license themselves to a comic book, maybe get an action figure and some posters. But lead roles in socially conscious Super Bowl ads? A totally-not-ghostwritten autobiography? Three hundred million followers on Instagram? And she doesn't go out heroing as much as she used to.

Something's not right here, and that's because none of it's true.

The Real Story
Is that too harsh? Brandi Czabasky really does have Centurion's powers and they even come from the same source. Plus, some Freedomites sure treat small-town Pennsylvania like another dimension. She got her powers soon after the Terminus Invasion, and life changed for her. Being super meant big cities and fame, and fame meant power. But she was only 13 and she didn't want to be schlepped off to Claremont Academy to learn to get cats out of trees. So she kept her abilities secret. And when Daedalus's machines detected Centurion-like energy in her town and Captain Thunder came hoping his old friend was alive, she kept quiet. But boy, she remembered. Powers were one thing, but this? She'd never imagined this. And slowly a scheme took shape in her mind, the ultimate con that would get her everything she wanted forever.

But how could she have Centurion's energy? She was born premature and her mother had to go to Freedom's McNider Memorial Hospital (which wasn't so run down yet) to get her proper care. But McNider's barely a mile from where Centurion's pod entered Earth-Prime, and while the Atom Family contains the leftover energy in their Goodman Building, an attack by one of their enemies let it leak that day. Brandi had the potential to be a super and the energy suffused her premature body, but until it grew and changed her during puberty it was undetectably small compared to the still-living Centurion's.

She didn't figure out that out for a long time, though. That was part of her quest. She had to know how to market herself and learn everything about her future "father" (especially the parts that weren't public) and graduate at the same time. It took years to learn his secret identity and the Freedom League knew someone was looking, but they didn't suspect the uncostumed high school girl they'd never heard of. Even that wasn't enough, though. Having the same energy signature was a start, but the big heroes would definitely mind-scan and genetically test her. So once she flew to Ontario once she was out of high school and went under the legendary mad scientist Artificer's knife. It was the craziest thing she'd ever done, but there's a price to pay for fame. After years of work, she was ready. She hired some super-science geeks and faked the pod landing.

Being Centuria was harder than she thought at first. She'd planned to let her Freedom League trainers do the fighting and deliver the final blow for the cameras, but they were too observant for that. She had to become a real cats-out-of-trees hero after all! But she'd worked herself to the bone to get here, she could keep going, and soon the endorsements rolled in and she had the cash to start making real money. She hasn't been in danger in years. In a huge crisis she'll save people from collateral damage (low risk, good publicity) but otherwise she hires fake villains to beat on. Or she funds real (wimpy) ones' plans anonymously and beats them so people don't wonder why no one else fights any of her villains. No one's figured it out. So she likes money more than other heroes, so what? After all the lives she and her dad saved can't they get a reward if they want? Meanwhile she'll be worth $5 billion by next year.

It's not perfect, though. Her superhero "friends" are great at busting schemes like these, so she's right in the lion's den, and she knows they wonder how Mark Leeds could've raised this image-obsessed businesswoman. She's worked with a lot of supervillains over the years and while she makes sure they're low-rent, untrustworthy and well-paid for the rest of their lives, one could always spill the beans if a hero team was willing to listen. There's also the Artificer. No high schooler can afford his treatment, so she had to buy on credit, and he wants data over money. She feeds him everything she learns about other supers and he doesn't blow her story out of the water. He's too dangerous and established to eliminate and like everyone he modifies she can't attack him directly, so she has no choice. Fortunately her and Centurion's powers don't come from their genes so he can't make an army of Centurion clones or anything, but that doesn't help her at all. If only she could manipulate some heroes into solving her little problem...

Using Centuria
Centuria has her canon stats except she's PL 12 and has higher INT and PRE scores, as well as Deception, Persuasion and Knowledge (Business) bonuses in the mid-teens. Replace her complications with Motivation - Fame, Pretender and Blackmail. Artificer's modifications made her appear genetically like Mark Leeds' daughter (he figured out the sample she gave him came from Centurion but he doesn't know his secret identity. Anyone trying to read her mind sees what they want to see, and because everyone wants her to be Centurion's humble, heroic daughter that's what they get. Even when someone wants her to be a faker what they see isn't based on fact, so when they "expose" her it's just another conspiracy theory. Of course, people are unlikely to believe the truth when so many crackpots have been wrong. And yes, that means she let a supervillain poke around in her brain. Maybe she was a bit too eager. No use worrying about it now.

She doesn't fight heroes; first, she tries to upstage them, then she gets them slandered in the media and if that doesn't work she abuses the legal system and sends only the most trustworthy mercenaries after them. She's never had someone killed (yet). If she's forced into battle she'll try to put the heroes in a situation where they look bad on camera. If she's been exposed and there's nothing she can do, though, she'll fight to the bitter end. She risked her life to get where she is and she might even die rather than lose it all.

Also, her hair's dyed (she's really blonde, as if she'd be anything else).
Writing Notes
I hope Centuria's not actually a fan favorite and I just character assassinated her. :?

Also I gave Centuria 50 million Instagram followers at first cause I thought that'd be insanely high, but then I checked and Kylie Jenner has 300 million? Huh? If you remember that Pepsi Black Lives Matter ad a while back where some Kardashian ended racism with a soda, that was Centuria in this setting.

ICONS has a character called Diamond, a "superhero" who's extremely popular and rich, but she fakes her battles and steals the final blow from other heroes. Fun idea, but she doesn't have any connections or rogues because ICONS characters are meant to plug into your own setting easily. How could I sell her being so important? Wait, doesn't Centuria have the same powers? They're both super famous and they even have the same build. And when you think about it, if Centurion's infertile because of his energy why can the other Centurion with the same energy have kids?

I came up with most of her backstory trying to explain why the Freedom League's tests wouldn't detect her. I lucked out with her connection to Artificer, gives her a nice weak point. The Artificer is from Silver Age Sentinels. He's been turning customers into supervillains for ages now, though he's not quite a "mad" scientist like I said. I thought about using Teleios from Champions as the setting's villain-maker, but while I like his sadism I think Artificer's a more interesting character. The fact Centuria can't attack him is totally Teleios though. She had to be a bit older than the original too for her story to work; overall she's been active about twice as long (since the Freedom City sourcebook's set in 2016).

She also has more grit than the original Diamond, who's never taken the same risks as other heroes. I figured Centuria would have the world's eyes on her from the start instead of getting famous over time like most heroes, so she couldn't go into business mode right away. She had to build up her brand.

I like what I've done here. She's connected and powerful enough to make a team's life hard and stick around a while in a setting, but that power's fragile and there's a lot of points where you could break it. Kind of like a diamond. :roll:

P.S. I decided to make Green Ronin's setting more of a centerpiece in this setting, it's the base everything's built on. I know it best, you probably know it best and it has a ton of plot hooks without being claustrophobic.
Davies

Post by Davies »

In response to one question under the spoilers, it's not actually stated why the Earth-Prime Centurion and his wife never had children, only that it is "most likely" because of that; one profile in Freedom's Most Wanted suggested that they did, but that their son was erased from history. (See under Dr. Mayhem.)

The second edition of the tome included the following passage.
While Centurion and his wife never had any children, it’s unknown why (since they were understandably reluctant to bring their problem to an
ordinary medical doctor). If the problem lay with Mrs. Leeds, it’s possible Centurion sired children before he was married. It’s also possible samples of his DNA were used to create children or clones, or to grant someone powers similar to his.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Ha, this is great! Diamond was one of my favorite characters in Icons, too. It always seemed strange (if interesting) that she was so reluctant to get involved in any fights that she hadn't rigged ahead of time: if you're one of the most powerful beings on earth, going to all that trouble seems like it could create more problems than it solved.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Very interesting takes on existing material! I do like that in your setting Dr. Destroyer was truly slain, as he really never came off as more than a less compelling Dr.Doom knock-off ( who kept getting more and more OPed as time went by). Adding some Silver Age silliness to Mechanon helps “him” stand out from Ultron. And the Centuria take would make for an solid story hook.

All my best.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

This version of Centuria is a neat twist, almost a Supergirl-cast-as-Booster Gold. She doesn't seem like a particularly awful person necessarily, just self-interested and a bit too money hungry. I'd be interested in where her story goes.

All my best.