Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Firebrand (Danette Reilly)

Post by Ken »

I always thought it kind of weird that Rod's costume fit Danette so well. I mean, the see-through pink shirt, okay, and the red top (because she conveniently had a red swimsuit at her brother's place) okay, but those tights....???
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Blackhawks

Post by Jabroniville »

"History has proven that whenever liberty is smothered and men lie crushed beneath oppression; there always rises a man to defend the helpless...liberate the enslaved and crush the tyrant...Such a man is Blackhawk...Out of the ruins of Europe and out of the hopeless mass of defeated people he comes, smashing the evil before him..."
-Opening narration in the first appearance.

THE BLACKHAWKS:
Created By:
Chuck Cuidera, Bob Powell & Will Eisner
First Appearance: Military Comics #1 (Aug. 1941)
Role: Band of Fighter Pilots

-The Blackhawks were one of the single most popular acts of the entire Golden Age, and successful beyond the level of almost ALL of their contemporaries- existing in an unbroken run from the 1940s through to the 1960s (something shared ONLY by Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman). And despite all that, I can't for the life of me manage to work up even a single crap to give.

-See, I used to not care for Military Comics as a whole- some bits of Preacher and all of G.I. Joe proved that the genre could be good. But for the most part, it just bores me. And the whole PILOT thing? I've never been one of those kids enamored with vehicles (Cars would have been lost on me as a lad), so the idea of a squadron of Fighter Pilots has no appeal. Especially in a STATIC medium like comics- "ooh, it's a bunch of fighter planes going around from panel-to-panel, HOW EXCITING". I just don't care.

-In any case Blackhawk was a big hit- debuting for Quality Comics in 1941. Since this was the War Years, a heroic group of Ace Pilots was pretty topical, and they had the interesting and unique element of being a team comprised of members from the nations conquered by the Axis Powers. They appeared in both Military Comics and Blackhawk (which debuted in 1944) for years, with lots of different talent cycling in and out of the book (Reed Crandall being a particularly-liked artist, and Chuck Cuidera being the most-iconic creator- Chuck would be VERY vocal that he was in fact the sole creator while working for Eisner's studio, and Eisner himself has been like "it's the guy who kept it going that's more important- he should get the credit"). When Crandall took over the book from 1942-53, sales peaked (Blackhawk kept going when Military/Modern Comics died in 1950). When Quality Comics went under in 1956, the book was immediately snapped up by National/DC, who kept up the numbering (DC would only MUCH later reintroduce the other Quality acts like Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters). Dick Dillin & Cuidera would do the art for nearly the entire run, keeping continuity with the original book.

-Over time, the characters would fight enemy soldiers, pilots, and super-villains- they'd gain a female member (Lady Blackhawk- Zinda Blake) in 1959, but she'd turn into the evil Queen Killer Shark in 1965. The book was clumsily-turned into a superhero book in 1967 to combat flagging sales and the returned craze of superhero books (the team was even explicitly stated to be totally sucking pond-water as a team by this point, necessitating an "upgrade"- SUPERMAN HIMSELF called them "washed-up" and Batman called them "junk-heap heroes"). It was in the 1960s that non-super comics started to fail- pretty soon, the only Romance series alive would be at Archie, and superhero books were the rule of comic books. When this failed to reignite sales, the book was cancelled in 1968, ending twenty-seven years of comics- a crazy, impressive run.

-The 1970s would see a resurgence, but lasted only a single year before being cancelled. When it was rumored that Steven Spielberg was interested in a Blackhawk film project, DC restarted the book in the early '80s, but it again died quickly (a couple years later). A few Mini-Series and Back-Up Story attempts would be made over the years (Howard Chaykin doing an espionage-themed one), and even a Nu52 book called Blackhawks (which lasted only eight issues before being one of the first books ignominiously-cancelled), but nothing big- the era of the War Comic was well and truly over by the mid-1960s. Today the book has zero legacy at all- all that really existed at all was Zinda Blake as "Lady Blackhawk" again in Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, acting as a hard-drinkin', contraction-usin' party girl.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
EternalPhoenix

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Max Mercury! Dr. Mid-Nite! Firebrand!)

Post by EternalPhoenix »

It's kind of a shame, but I do understand it. There's nothing special about each Blackhawk. Their planes aren't even particularly special. They're just really good pilots flying really good planes. I think they'd make a decent TV show, though. There'd be time to delve a little into each pilot's personality and backstory, the stuff TV really excels at with good actors and writers. But as superheroes they don't work. They have the "This is a job for Aquaman" problem (that he actually doesn't have, I'm well aware) really bad. If the problem can't be solved with a fighter plane and the skills required to operate or repair one, they're basically useless in a superpowered world. A modernization wouldn't work, either. Modern fighter combat is deathly dull by comparison to the old days. Missiles with radar or heat based tracking sensors take all the skill out of it, and drones equipped with such weapons are getting more and more common. Dogfights are a thing of the past.

I really did like their appearance in JLU, though. Haaaawkaaaaaaaa, indeed. :mrgreen:
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Goldar

Re: Firebrand (Rod Reilly)

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:21 am
Ken wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:01 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:16 pm FIREBRAND I (Rod Reilly)

It wasn't until 1981 that we'd see him again, as DC's purchase of Quality's characters introduced Firebrand to the All-Star Squadron, and Rod was chosen as one of the ONLY superheroes to not make it out of World War II alive! Firebrand was thus killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor, leaving his sister Danette to take over his role as a much more important character.
Late 1977, Rod Reilly appeared in the 11th issue of Freedom Fighters, and in #12 he showed up in costume, and stuck around until the book was caught in the DC Implosion.

Also, Roy and Dann Thomas are still married.
It's the damndest thing- I was sure I'd heard they divorce d. I was probably thinking of Walt & Louise Simonson... but they're still together, too! So who the hell got divorced?!? I was certain someone notable among comics couples had been!

Regarding the other, I think I read the Wikipedia entry for Rod, which only mentions his 1981 All-Star Squadron appearance. It's weird how even the most minor guys end up being nuisances historically.
Roy and his first wife Jeannie, got divorced. (He later married Dann) Perhaps this is what you were thinking? :?:
Jabroniville

Blackhawk

Post by Jabroniville »

I don’t know the context for the last one, but I am compelled to post it.

BLACKHAWK (Major Janos Prohaska, once "Bart Hawk", aka The Big Eye)
Created By:
First Appearance: Military Comics #1 (Aug. 1941)
Role: Ace Pilot
Group Affiliations: The Blackhawks
PL 7 (118)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+11)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+6)
Vehicles 10 (+16) -- Flaws: Limited to Aerial Vehicles

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment 16 (Grumann XF5F Skyrocket- Use the DCA version, Gun), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Gun), Ranged Attack 4, Ultimate Aim, Ultimate Vehicles

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Gun +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Fighting the Nazis)
Addiction (Ladies and Alcohol)- Post-Crisis only.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 25 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (118)

-"Blackhawk" himself is the team leader and founder of the squadron- it's stated that the Polish Air Force was all that remained as the major resistance to the Nazis, but a lone fighter was all that was left after one last push by Captain Von Trepp and his "Butcher Squadron". Despite shooting down six Nazi planes, this daredevil pilot in a jet-black plane crash-lands in the countryside, with Von Trepp dropping a bomb that kills the man's brother and sister. Surviving, this lone pilot swears vengeance on both Von Trepp and the Nazis, and disappears. Months later, as Europe is collapsing under Nazi might, the "Blackhawk Squadron" appears "like an angel of vengeance". In the first tale, Blackhawk personally kills Von Trepp after both men crash their planes.

-In the 1950s, his origin is shifted a bit so he's now an American fighter pilot who joined the fight in Europe on his own- this was probably to make him more identifiable to American readers. Post-Crisis depictions have reverted him back to being Polish. In the 1960s revamping of the team, he was now "The Big Eye"- a guy floating around in a huge dirigible called the Hawk-Kite.

-Blackhawk himself is your standard Military Leader Guy from back in the day- hard-nosed and insulting to men he finds slacking, he is nonetheless an amazing leader and the best soldier around. He didn't gain the "Janos" name until a 1988 series.
Davies

Post by Davies »

That name was given to him in "honor" of actor Janos Prohaska, who died in a plane crash. I recall that this used to be a bit of an annoyance to Polish-speaking posters on Usenet, as neither Janos nor Prohaska are Polish names ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Stanislaus

Post by Jabroniville »

STANISLAUS (Capt. Stanislaus Drozdowski, aka The Golden Centurion)
Created By:
First Appearance: Military Comics #3 (Oct. 1941)
Role: Ace Pilot, The #2 Guy
PL 6 (98)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)
Vehicles 8 (+14) -- Flaws: Limited to Aerial Vehicles

Advantages:
Equipment 16 (Grumann XF5F Skyrocket- Use the DCA version, Gun), Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 2, Ultimate Vehicles

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Gun +6 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (98)

---

THE GOLDEN CENTURION (Capt. Stanislaus Drozdowski)
Created By:
Role: Ace Pilot, The #2 Guy
PL 7 (122)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 16 (Grumann XF5F Skyrocket- Use the DCA version, Gun), Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 2, Ultimate Vehicles

Powers:
"Gleaming Golden Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [24]
Protection 4 (4)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
"Ionized Pure Gold" Blast 7 (14)
-- (30 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Gold Blast +6 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 9 (122)

-Stanislaus is an early ally of Blackhawk- the two had joined the Polish Air Force together. He was Blackhawk's second-in-command. He was often depicted of varying ethnicity, but kind of settled on being a Polish guy who becomes increasingly-American sounding as time goes on (the '40s saw a large Anti-Polish sentiment in the States- they became a token "dumb ethnicity" once it became less-cool to make fun of non-white people for a while). He was initially the team's acrobat, but later the strongman after another guy adopted that trait.

-When the team was upgraded to superheroes in 1967, Stanislaus became "The Golden Centurion", taking the armor of a dead foe. In later incarnations, he remains the second-in-command, but often envies Blackhawk's confidence and capabilities. A later version has him be one of the Squadron's first casualties.

-Stanislaus is a big, strong guy compared to the others.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Looking forward to seeing Zeg!!!

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Chuck Wilson

Post by Jabroniville »

CHUCK WILSON (Capt. Carlo Sirianni in modern stories, aka "The Listener")
Created By:
Role: Ace Pilot, The American, The Tech Guy
PL 6 (99)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 9 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (99)

-An American, often seen as from Texas, using a lot of cowboy drawl, but his true origins varied over time. He ran the Communications system. As "The Listener" (still just a Comm. guy), he wore a suit of pajamas covered in ears. I have no idea what they were thinking. The '70s version made him a bit tougher and more rude than past incarnations. The '80s update made him an Italian-American from Brooklyn.

-Chuck is more technologically-capable than his allies in most versions.
Jabroniville

Re: Firebrand (Rod Reilly)

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:46 am
Roy and his first wife Jeannie, got divorced. (He later married Dann) Perhaps this is what you were thinking? :?:
Hm, maybe that is it. Did he base any characters' names on her?
Jabroniville

Hendrickson

Post by Jabroniville »

HENDRICKSON (Capt. Hans or Ritter Hendricksen)
Created By:
First Appearance: Military Comics #12 (Oct. 1942)
Role: Ace Pilot, The Old Guy, The Grumbling Veteran
PL 7 (92)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+9)
Expertise (History) 4 (+5)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+2)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 16 (Grumann XF5F Skyrocket- Use the DCA version, Gun), Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 4, Ultimate Aim, Ultimate Vehicles

Offense:
Gun +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (92)

-"Hendy" was an old, depdendable sharpshooter- a rotund old man. Sometimes seen as Dutch or German (possibly an ex-pat who now fights the Nazis), he's got the standard Hun Moustache thing going on, and uses German phrases a lot ("Himmel!"). As "The Weapons-Master", he was presumably a master of weapons. In the '70s, he was depicted as often bitter that his teammates didn't use his wisdom more often.

-Hendrickson is the oldest and least physicaly-capable of the team, but one of the wiser ones, and his improved accuracy boosts him up a PL.
Jabroniville

Andre

Post by Jabroniville »

ANDRE (Capt. Andre Blanc-Dumont, aka "M'sieu Machine")
Created By:
Role: Ace Pilot, Silly Frenchman, Ladies' Man
PL 6 (92)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 7 (+10)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Offense:
Initiative +3

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (96)

-André had standard Frenchman traits like a pencil-thin moustache and attempts at being suave, despite his bravery. He was badly injured and thought killed in one of the Squadron's first missions, but reappeared in an iron mask and became a regular again. He specialized in demolitions (later "mechanics"), and getting the team into trouble because he's out there chasing tail. As "M'sieu Machine", he developed some exotic crime-fighting gadgets. In the '70s, he was reimagined as a member of the French resistance who was a practiced military planner, but was still a "full-time ladies' man"). In the '80s, he was seen as slightly reckless and now the second-in-command.

-André, like Chuck, is "The Smart One".
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dr. Mid-Nite! Firebrand! Blackhawk Squadron!)

Post by Ken »

Military Comics #2 held the first appearance of Stanislaus, Andre, Hedrickson, Boris, Zeg, and Olaf; though they waffled on the -son in "Hendrickson", he can be seen clearly on the right, behind Zeg.

Chuck Wilson wouldn't show up until Military Comics #11. Boris was gone by then, as was Baker (seen in #1, #2, & #3), but Zeg overlapped briefly with Chuck; in this picture literally, as Chuck is helping Olaf drag Chop-Chop, and Zeg is next to Chuck. Andre always had the narrower mustache and is between Stan and Hendrickson.

Jabroniville

Olaf

Post by Jabroniville »

OLAF (Capt. Olaf Friedriksen, aka "The Leaper")
Created By:
First Appearance: Military Comics #2 (Sept. 1941)
Role: Ace Pilot, The Big Guy, Big Dumb Swede
PL 6 (96)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 3 (+3)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Offense:
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (96)

---

THE LEAPER (Capt. Olaf Friedriksen)
Created By:
Role: Ace Pilot, The Big Guy, Big Dumb Swede
PL 7 (100)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+10)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Investigation 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 3 (+3)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Leaper Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [4]
Protection 3 (3)
Leaping 2 (30 feet) (2)
-- (5 points)

Offense:
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4 (+7 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 10 (100)

-A gargantuan, dull-witted Swede, playing into that old stereotype, Olaf helped the Fins against the Nazis, and is actually very acrobatic. Talks like Mr. Svenson from Archie with things like "By Yiminy!". As "The Leaper", he wore a rubber-titanium outfit that allowed him to "Cannonball" around by jumping great distances. In the '80s version, Olaf is now Danish and a savant with languages and skilled at radio operations.

-Olaf was depicted as pretty slow-witted at first, and developed traits that Stanislaus lost over time, like great acrobatic skills.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Dr. Mid-Nite! Firebrand! Blackhawk Squadron!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:58 pm Image

Military Comics #2 held the first appearance of Stanislaus, Andre, Hedrickson, Boris, Zeg, and Olaf; though they waffled on the -son in "Hendrickson", he can be seen clearly on the right, behind Zeg.

Chuck Wilson wouldn't show up until Military Comics #11. Boris was gone by then, as was Baker (seen in #1, #2, & #3), but Zeg overlapped briefly with Chuck; in this picture literally, as Chuck is helping Olaf drag Chop-Chop, and Zeg is next to Chuck. Andre always had the narrower mustache and is between Stan and Hendrickson.

Looks like Comicvine has the wrong debuts for all the team, then, as it lists Military Comics #3 for almost everyone.