Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Davies

Re: Northwind

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:11 pm The panels in the origin issue were ludicrous to say the least, featuring a man crushing on a chick who looked like a skinny Big Bird with pert knockers, and a half-black guy/half-BIRD baby cracking out of an egg. How this didn't get laughed out of the editorial process I have no idea, but there he was.
The editor was as much of a Burroughs fan as Thomas?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Air Wave! Hawkman & Hawkgirl I-III!)

Post by Ken »

Kendra put the "leg" and "ass" in "legacy" when they renamed the Hawkman book Hawkgirl.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: Northwind

Post by Ken »

Davies wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:34 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:11 pm The panels in the origin issue were ludicrous to say the least, featuring a man crushing on a chick who looked like a skinny Big Bird with pert knockers, and a half-black guy/half-BIRD baby cracking out of an egg. How this didn't get laughed out of the editorial process I have no idea, but there he was.
The editor was as much of a Burroughs fan as Thomas?
Exactly as big a fan. No bigger, and no smaller. Exactly the same.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Sidious

Re: Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders)

Post by Sidious »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:20 am Image
Not going to stat up her current female Archangel form? There should be a copyright on those metal wings.

Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Air Wave! Hawkman & Hawkgirl I-III!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Nah, I don’t do any Nu52 builds.
Jabroniville

Speed Saunders

Post by Jabroniville »

SPEED SAUNDERS (Cyril Saunders)
Created By:
E.C. Stoner & Craig Flessel
First Appearance: Detective Comics #1 (March 1937)
Role: Forgotten Golden Age Hero
Group Affiliations: The FBI, The Office of Strategic Services
PL 7 (115)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (FBI Agent) 7 (+10)
Insight 3 (+7)
Investigation 7 (+11)
Perception 3 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Equipment 2 (Pistol), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 4, Tracking, Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Pistol +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +17

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Wesley Dodds)- The two are lifelong friends.
Relationship (Kendra Saunders)- Speed loves his granddaughter dearly, and is devastated when she commits suicide, and he immediately recognizes her as the reincarnation of his cousin Shiera Saunders.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (115)

-Speed Saunders is a little-known Golden Age character that predates even SUPERMAN AND BATMAN, having debuted in the inaugural edition of Detective Comics! He's an FBI Agent hero who's also sometimes an adventurer or a standard Private Eye- it seems they couldn't decide. He was only popular enough to last for about four years, which is only okay by Golden Age standards- he left comics around the time guys like Captain America were joining it- 1941. He was later Retconned into being the cousin of the original Hawkgirl (who shared his last name), and the grandfather to the current one- Kendra Saunders. His biggest contribution to recent comics is in the debut of the late '90s JSA book, in which he trains Kendra as Hawkgirl, and gives the JSA the leads they require in their hunt for the new Dr. Fate.

-Speed is basically a minor PL 7 Skillmonkey.
Jabroniville

Zauriel

Post by Jabroniville »

ZAURIEL
Created By:
Grant Morrison, Mark Millar & Howard Porter
First Appearance: JLA #6 (1997)
Role: Super-Angel, New Hero on the JLA, "One-Writer-Only" Guy
Group Affiliations: The Justice League of America, Heaven, The Shadowpact
PL 12 (248)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Expertise (Religion) 10 (+15)
Expertise (History) 9 (+13)
Expertise (Military) 3 (+7)
Insight 5 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 5 (+10)
Persuasion 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Diehard, Evasion, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Smash, Interpose, Inspire, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Teamwork

Powers:
"Angelic Physiology"
Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]
Flight 10 (2,000 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [10]
"Divine Communication" Comprehend 7 (Languages 3, Animals 2, Spirits 2) [14]
Senses 7 (Magical Awareness, Detect Good & Evil- Ranged & Radius) [7]

"Sonic Flash- Targeted" Blast 14 (Extras: Penetrating 8) (36) -- [38]
AE: "Sonic Flash- Wide-Angle" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (24)
AE: "The Red Sea Trick" Move Object 14 (Flaws: Limited to Water) (14)

"Angelic Sword" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [15]
"Holy Fire" Blast 11 (22) -- (24 points)
  • AE: "Sword Slash" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Affects Insubstantial 2) (Extras: Penetrating 12) (17)
  • AE: "Cut Dimensional Fabric" Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (Extras: Portal +2) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Sword Slash +12 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Sonic Flash +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Wide Angle Sonic Flash +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Holy Fire +10 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +10, Fortitude +12, Will +9

Complications:
Responsibility (Fallen Angel)- Zauriel was kicked out of Heaven for attempting to start a relationship with a human woman (she decides to stick with her boyfriend). He still takes great care with the souls of humans, acting as a spirit guide.
Enemy (Asmodel)- Asmodel was the King-Angel of the Bull Host, and attempted to overthrow Heaven itself. Zauriel was instrumental in Asmodel's defeat, and the two became mortal enemies.
Power Loss (All Powers- Without Armor)- Zauriel's powers are apparently lower without his Armor.

Total: Abilities: 100 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 95 / Defenses: 13 (248)

Zauriel- The ONE TIME Heaven Got Treated Like a Standard Comic Book Mythology Thing:
-Zauriel is the token "Original Character" for Grant Morrison's great JLA run, and features the odd origin of being A REAL ACTUAL ANGEL. It's a bit odd to see the actual Bible being used in a comic book universe (outside of Jack Chick, I mean), but it's fitting- they use all the OTHER pantheons throughout history (Olympians, Norse, Egyptian, etc.), so why not the major American faith? Once the modern era hit, it wasn't so controversial to do (Jim Starlin caught hell for having Dr. Strange meet God in an earlier time, for example- this was a no-go back in the day). Morrison wasn't allowed to call him "Hawkman", however- he planned to, but the DC Editors told him the name was off-limits, due to the convoluted continuity of the guy (there's a small gag where Aquaman goes "Katar?" upon seeing Zauriel for the first time).

-Zauriel was a bit of an odd duck- I feel like I barely know the guy, despite his ONLY BOOK being JLA- I think the massive roster the book ended up having resulted in him not getting as much panel-time as he should have, considering he was a new character. Reading it in the Trades, it's a bit odd to see him debut to great fanfare, help the JLA fend off AN ARMY OF ANGELS ("That's the guy who says he doesn't want people looking up to him" Kyle Rayner says of Superman, "He's up there wrestling an ANGEL"), then just show up at some woman's doorstep saying he loves her. Then you never see her again in the book (there was a Limited Series). He was an incorrigible flirt, though- he made cracks about Wonder Woman's ass. He proved his bravery against Mageddon, leading a host of Angels to prevent global nuclear war while the League battled the monster (Heaven itself had given up and assumed all was lost- only a few stood by Zauriel).

Zauriel's Bio:
-So as far as his bio goes, Zauriel is an angel of the Eagle Host (there are also Bull, Human & Lion Hosts), serving The Presence (God). He is charged as a guardian angel, protecting the souls of various women (Cleopatra, Joan of Arc... I guess he wasn't very good at his job), but falls in love with a mortal woman who has a boyfriend. He also learns of the secret plan of Asmodel of the Bull Host to overthrow the Presence. He attempts to leave Heaven voluntarily but is cast down in flames, where the JLA find him- they protect him from the Bull Host and Asmodel is defeated. Zauriel again stops another conflict (this one led by Neron & Asmodel), revealing that the Presence is "everywhere and everything" and thus can't be beaten and usurped- Asmodel is now Neron's slave in Hell. The object of his affection stays with her boyfriend, but Zauriel is now Heaven's "ambassador" on Earth. He went on a few more adventures, but was killed when the Injustice League blew up the Watchtower- arriving in Heaven to find it empty in the wake of Mageddon's arrival, he was rebuffed when he sought aide- all the Angels were making a "replacement world". Zauriel refused them and went back to Earth- thankfully, countless angels had joined him in saving the world from itself, preventing the "Mageddon Wave" or whatever from making all the world leaders kill each other.

-Unfortunately, after this, Zauriel leaves the book, and few other writers seemed to care about him- his appearances are sporadic (often in a helper/spirit guide role). Sometimes he deals with the Hal Jordan Spectre, and he allies with The Shadowpact, but that's about it. This is largely the end of Zauriel ever mattering in comics- he's just a backgrounder in every other thing. He is manipulated into fighting Blue Devil in Shadowpact and joins Congorilla's impromptu Replacement League, and that's about it. And it's too bad- he was powerful and had the credibility to be a real, quality Justice Leaguer. But it's one of those things about the modern age of comics- even good new characters don't last, because subsequent writers don't want to use NEW guys- they just want to use the OLD ones!

Zauriel's Powers:
-Zauriel is extremely powerful, owing to his millennia of experience, and the fact that he can be plopped right onto the Morrison-Era JLA roster and not miss a beat or look out of place. At PL 12, he handed several Titans their ass during a big super-crossover, easily taking out Supergirl (the Matrix/Angel one) and Bumblebee (okay, so that's not a big feat).
Ken

Re: Speed Saunders

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:27 am SPEED SAUNDERS (Cyril Saunders)
Created By:
E.C. Stoner & Craig Flessel

He was later Retconned into being the cousin of the original Hawkgirl (who shared his last name), and the grandfather to the current one- Kendra Saunders.
Actually, even Shiera having the last name of "Saunders" was a part of the retcon. Prior to 1999, Shiera's maiden name had always been Sanders.

Jabroniville

Manhunter (Paul Kirk)

Post by Jabroniville »

"I did a bunch of preliminary designs and I think Archie thought my first costume was a little complex, but then I did a bunch of variations. They were just simpler and not as good, so we went with the original design. The only difference was originally I’d given him nine throwing stars. Archie wanted to include martial arts in the strip and I came across something that said nine was a mystical number in some of the martial arts cultures. But somewhere along the way, I realized that drawing nine throwing stars in every damn panel was going to be a big problem. So we fixed that!"
-Walt Simonson, on the 1970s costume redesign.

MANHUNTER I (Paul Kirk)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #58 (Jan. 1941)
Role: Golden Age Hero-Turned-Martial Artist
Group Affiliations: The All-Star Squadron
PL 9 (133)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Big Game Hunter) 10 (+12)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Perception 8 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Shuriken) 3 (+14)
Stealth 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 3 (Gun, Katar, Shuriken), Favored Foe (Animals), Fast Grab, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Ranged Attack 6, Track

Powers:
"Healing Factor" Regeneration 3 [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Katar +13 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Shuriken +14 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 17)
Gun +11 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (The Council)- The Secret Society wants to rule the world, and initially wanted Kirk to be their agent. He refused, and now has to fight them constantly.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 15 (134)

-Paul Kirk's Manhunter is notable for having eight guys with the same name as him kicking around the DCU (sometimes six at a time!), and was technically the first in the Golden Age, debuting in Jan. 1941, slightly earlier than the Dan Richards one at Quality- and he ended up with ten times the legacy. There was a non-costumed P.I. from a strip called Paul Kirk, Manhunter, which was more of a job description than his actual name. He only lasted about 12 issues, a pretty big failure compared to Richards' version. However, in the next issue, Joe Simon & Jack Kirby soon used the name for a guy named Rick Nelson, who was a big game hunter turned crimefighter- an unknown Editor changed his name back to Paul Kirk the next issue, thus keeping the character going, and the superstar duo soon left the book. This version of Kirk lasted in that form until 1944, and he was axed by a paper shortage (DC needed to cut down on page counts).

-Basically a forgotten character by 1944, Kirk was resurrected out of nowhere for the 1980s Manhunter series (an eight-page back-up in Detective Comics) by Archie Goodwin, and ended up bringing DC into the "martial arts" arena of comics, as he was now using Japanese-style weapons like shuriken. He wasn't actually supposed to be Kirk (just some guy named Manhunter), but they changed their minds to give him a quick backstory. Turns out, Paul Kirk was killed by an elephant on safari in the '40s, but he was cyrogenically frozen by a hidden Secret Society who wanted to control the world. He was given a Healing Factor and trained in martial arts, then became the source for dozens of clones. However, Kirk fights off their influence and becomes a superhero. He dies in the process, and is amazingly NEVER BROUGHT BACK- the series is apparently quite well-thought-of, as Goodwin says it's one of the "three best things I've done in comics".

-Some of his clones (thought to have all been killed) have popped up in random stories- Kirk DePaul in Kurt Busiek's "this is why nobody writes team books made up of entirely new characters anymore" series Power Company, for example. Not bad for a goofy-looking guy in red tights with a blue mask. Also fun is All-Star Squadron actually using BOTH Manhunters, having them meet and agree to go onto different All-Star teams to avoid confusion. And Jack Kirby creating a new Manhunter in 1975 and having a guy obviously meant to be this one, now elderly, passing on his gear to the newbie- as Paul Kirk could now not have been this man, he is now an unnamed "Manhunter".

-Manhunter I ends up with some retroactive skills. A big-game hunter, I maxed out Expertise, Perception & Animal Handling (along with the Track feat), and made him a very good all-around fighter guy. Probably a little better than he deserves for a Golden Age version, so I figure the original was closer to Dan Richards in combat capability, so he must've been good in his own time (despite getting killed by an elephant apparently). The DCA build packs an insane *PL 12*, which feels WAY too high for someone who's basically just a really good, well-trained Martial Artist.
Jabroniville

Manhunter (Dan Richards)

Post by Jabroniville »

MANHUNTER II (Dan Richards)
Created By:
Tex Blaisdell & Alex Kotzky
First Appearance: Police Comics #8 (March 1942)
Role: Forgotten Golden Age Hero
Group Affiliations: The All-Star Squadron, The Freedom Fighters
PL 6 (89)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Police Officer) 5 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Pistol), Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Sidekick 9 (Thor the Thunder Dog)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)- Richards became a vigilante in order to bring crooks the police couldn't catch to justice.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (89)

THOR THE THUNDER DOG
Role:
Animal Sidekick
PL 5 (44) Combat- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 9
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 7 (+5)
Perception 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Improved Trip, Set-Up, Startle, Tracking

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [5]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 [2]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Natural Weapons +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dogs cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Relationship (Owner)- Domestic dogs are intensely loyal to their masters, and will fight to the death to protect them.
Weakness- Dogs are utterly incapable of lying. Their entire body reflects their current mood. Just watch them if you notice your lamp is broken, and you will know who did it.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 6 (44)

-The Quality Comics Manhunter is most notable for not only being one of the first active heroes to share his name with another active hero (albeit in a different company), but for having his DOG revealed as a Manhunter android. His Golden Age history is basically spent as a Quality Comics character (where he lasted from Police Comics #8 to #101, which is a HELL of a run), and he retroactively joined the Freedom Fighters, whereas the other Manhunter (Paul Kirk) joined the All-Stars, thus avoiding the argument as to who got dibs on the name "Manhunter". Naturally, in the Golden Age, both characters were written by different companies.

-Dan Richards was a police academy student at the bottom of his class, who became a vigilante to capture a murderer who'd framed his girlfriend's brother (at the top of the same class). Clearing his friend's name, he kept on as Manhunter, using his dog Thor as a Sidekick. His costume is one of the plainest I have EVER seen, basically being a legless blue outfit with a domino mask. His granddaughter became the Harlequin that joined Injustice, Unlimited in Infinity Inc., and was killed in action, his dog was revealed to be a Manhunter Android in another story, and Dan himself was killed in modern times by Mark Shaw, the third Manhunter, who was deranged and decided to slaughter all other Manhunters.

-This guy's statted up as a pretty good fighter who's just way out of his league playing amongst major-league heroes. Thor is a standard-sized Dog (he looks pretty hound-like) who is presumably a much better fighter.
Jabroniville

Manhunter (Mark Shaw)

Post by Jabroniville »

MANHUNTER III (Mark Shaw, aka The Privateer, Dumas)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: First Issue Special #5 (Aug. 1975)
Role: Retcon Magnet
Group Affiliations: The Manhunters, The Suicide Squad,
PL 9 (120)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Deception 5 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 10 (+13)
Perception 7 (+10)
Stealth 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Fancy Mask- Extended & Infravision, Padded Costume), Ranged Attack 5, Track

Powers:
"Power Baton" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [11]
"Sonic Maser" Dazzle Hearing 8 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) (16) -- (18 points)
  • AE: "Blade" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
  • AE: "Grappling Hook" Movement 1 (Swinging 1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blade +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Sonic Maser +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4 (+5 Suit), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (Dumas, The Manhunters)- Shaw has fought the Dumas (and thought he was one, at one point), as well as his old masters, The Manhunter androids.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 9 (120)

-Mark Shaw, the third (sort of the fourth, if you count the initial Kirk version) Manhunter, was a public defender angry about how easily criminals could manipulate the system, and became a vigilante to fight them. His uncle Desmond introduced him to an ancient sect called The Manhunters, who turned out to be the evil androids created by The Guardians of Oa to police the galaxy. However, Shaw turned on them and saved the day. However AGAIN, Shaw was revealed to be working with The Key under his new identity as "The Privateer". He was captured by The Red Tornado, and ended up on the Suicide Squad, being released from prison at the completion of his mission. He became a bounty hunter, but then got a weird Retcon in which the U.S. government had been programming him to become their agent, which resulted in him gaining a split personality as "Dumas", who killed Dan Richards, the original Golden Age Manhunter.

-After this, he reformed, joining the Shadow Fighters who battled Eclipso, and was thought-killed in the process (alongside Dr. Midnight and Wildcat II). However, this was actually a "ringer" disguised as Shaw, who was at that point undercover. He was a potential for being the latest Azrael, but that apparently didn't pan out. After that, he basically kinda vanishes, probably because there's other Manhunters around after that.

-Mark Shaw is PL 9 as far as I can tell. I've got nothing, really, having never seen him in action.
Ken

Re: Manhunter (Paul Kirk)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:36 pm-Basically a forgotten character by 1944, Kirk was resurrected out of nowhere for the 1980s Manhunter series (an eight-page back-up in Detective Comics) by Archie Goodwin, and ended up bringing DC into the "martial arts" arena of comics, as he was now using Japanese-style weapons like shuriken. He wasn't actually supposed to be Kirk (just some guy named Manhunter), but they changed their minds to give him a quick backstory. Turns out, Paul Kirk was killed by an elephant on safari in the '40s, but he was cyrogenically frozen by a hidden Secret Society who wanted to control the world. He was given a Healing Factor and trained in martial arts, then became the source for dozens of clones.
The Goodwin/Simonson "Manhunter" series began in 1973 and ended in 1974. He actually predates that other healing-factor guy with a fondness for Japanese weapons by about a year.

Ken

Re: Manhunter (Mark Shaw)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:53 am MANHUNTER III (Mark Shaw, aka The Privateer, Dumas)
Created By:
Jack Kirby
First Appearance: First Issue Special #5 (Aug. 1975)

-Mark Shaw, the third (sort of the fourth, if you count the initial Kirk version) Manhunter, was a public defender angry about how easily criminals could manipulate the system, and became a vigilante to fight them. His uncle Desmond introduced him to an ancient sect called The Manhunters, who turned out to be the evil androids created by The Guardians of Oa to police the galaxy. However, Shaw turned on them and saved the day. However AGAIN, Shaw was revealed to be working with The Key under his new identity as "The Privateer". He was captured by The Red Tornado, and ended up on the Suicide Squad, being released from prison at the completion of his mission. He became a bounty hunter, but then got a weird Retcon in which the U.S. government had been programming him to become their agent, which resulted in him gaining a split personality as "Dumas", who killed Dan Richards, the original Golden Age Manhunter.

-Mark Shaw is PL 9 as far as I can tell. I've got nothing, really, having never seen him in action.
In First Issue Special #5, we see an aging Manhunter. Implicitly, Kirby intended this to be Paul Kirk, ignoring the Goodwin/Simonson series, but he's never named. My head canon says his name was Richard Nelson. This older Manhunter, as well as Shaw, showed up in the issues of JLA that established the androids created by The Guardians of Oa to police the galaxy but went bad, and later established cults and human agents thing.

Trying to gauge Shaw's power level is really tough. With his Manhunter power suit, he's at least a PL 11. Even as the Privateer, he still is getting by, pretending to be a hero and working alongside the League (and looks for a while to be ready to become a new member), and using super speed that is slower than Barry, Clark or Diana, is still enough to make most people just see him "teleport".

When he came back as a hero again, a decade later... PL9 feels right for that.

JLA #140
Image Image
Image Image

JLA #150
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Air Wave! Hawkman & Hawkgirl I-III! Zauriel!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Man, that was a HUGE textdump by Englehart there, lol. Even Claremont would be impressed. Too bad the image links died.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Manhunter (Paul Kirk)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:36 pm Image
I could never figure out what those things on his ankles/calves were supposed to be. They look like some weird light fixture someone hollowed out to turn into the ugliest boots ever.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.