Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Lyra! Galaxy Master! Skaar! Hiro! Glorian!)

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 pm I want to like Arabian Knight... The first one is a bit too "Captain Ethnic," in much the same way as the diversity hires from the last season of Super-Friends... But the second one seems to be trying so hard to reverse course that he becomes more stereotypical.

Arabian Knight I could get by on an off-hand, "Hey, it was the early Eighties. We were still living in the disco era. Dazzler had roller skates. Spider-Man kept fighting a dude who called himself the Hypno-Hustler. Luke Cage had a tiara. So, yeah, I wore parachute pants and no shirt... But look at the abs I had back then, man."

His basic powerset is one you don't see often in comics: Magic Weapon Guy. In Marvel, it's basically the Black Knight, early Captain Britannia, and this guy.

Arabian Knight II is trying too hard to look like a military guy. Kinda reminds me of the Internet Commandos you see on airsoft forums. :roll:
His look is understandable, his government got their hands on the mystic weaponry of the original knight and gave to to a trusted experienced soldier to use, given he is still technically serving in the armed forces his fatigues makes sense.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 pm I want to like Arabian Knight... The first one is a bit too "Captain Ethnic," in much the same way as the diversity hires from the last season of Super-Friends... But the second one seems to be trying so hard to reverse course that he becomes more stereotypical.
The only diversity hire during the last season of Super Friends was Cyborg, and DC is still trying to recapture that, forcing Cyborg on the League and keeping away from his family, the Titans.

The diversity hires of which you speak came in as early as the second season (1977) of Super Friends, the same season that gave us the damnable Wonder Twins. Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, and Samurai were all introduced then. (So was Rima, but she was actually a very old character from a 1904 novel, whom DC had then-recently licensed into a comic heroine). El Dorado was added in the 1981 season. But the last season of Super Friends was 1985.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Did Isis ever appear on the Super Friends cartoon, or am I thinking of the live version show?
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

There was a live version and a cartoon of Isis and a bunch of other superheroes. No on the superfreinds I believe.
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

Goldar wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:13 pm Did Isis ever appear on the Super Friends cartoon, or am I thinking of the live version show?
RUSCHE wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:39 pm There was a live version and a cartoon of Isis and a bunch of other superheroes. No on the superfreinds I believe.
The live action version did appear in conjunction with Captain Marvel, however, (including a crossover episode or two) which excuses the confusion in my book. ;)

The cartoon version, which was in Freedom Force, was something completely different.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
Jabroniville

John Ryker

Post by Jabroniville »

GENERAL JOHN RYKER
Created By:
Paul Jenkins, Ron Garney & Mike McKone
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #12 (March 2000)
Role: More-Evil Version of "Thunderbolt" Ross
Group Affiliations: The U.S. Armed Forces
PL 4 (83)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise (Military) 3 (+8)
Expertise (Government) 7 (+12)
Insight 4 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 1 (+5)
Persuasion 8 (+12)
Technology 3 (+8)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (General), Contacts

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (The Hulk)- Ryker wishes to take the Hulk's DNA and Gamma Radiation for various purposes, and is just plain vengeful after his wife dies.
Relationship (Wife)- Ryker's wife was dying of a cancer that he believed could be cured by absorbing the Hulk's Gamma Radiation.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (83)

-General Ryker is a pretty brilliant idea, actually- "Thunderbolt" Ross was a major antagonist and a giant prick, but it was usually pretty clear that his intentions, while often self-serving, were good and that he wasn't an EVIL man- just a vicious one. With Gen. Ryker, we had a guy who perfectly symbolized that. He was also a Shadowy Government Figure- a man who controlled things from behind the scenes. He set up a conspiracy-theory around the assassination of JFK, and tried to replicate the original accident (which it turns out he'd supervised) that created the Hulk. The only one that survived was Flux, whom Ryker broke mentally, revealing that the depths of his evil went much further than Thunderbolt's did. To the point that when the Hulk was finally captured, Ryker's torture of the monster caused ROSS HIMSELF to turn on him, and he sprung his enemy and began helping him! Even the fact that Ryker wanted the Hulk's gamma radiation to cure his wife's cancer didn't really justify his actions- his wife left him, not wanting to be cured at the expense of others.

-Ryker later created the Gamma Corps to fight the Hulk, and sent another version against Lyra.

-Ryker is no fighter; instead, he's a master manipulator and very good at staying behind the scenes. However, like The Leader, his smarts still cannot get him to put one over on the Hulk.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Flux

Post by Jabroniville »

FLUX (Benjamin "Benny" Tibbits)
Created By:
Paul Jenkins & Ron Garney
First Appearance: The Incredible Hulk #17 (Aug. 2000)
Role: Forgotten Powerhouse
Group Affiliations: None
PL 10 (107)
STRENGTH
14 STAMINA 14 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 8 (+6, +7 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"The Strongest One There Is"
Power Lifting 1 (800 tons) [1]
Leaping 6 (500 feet) [6]
Immunity 11 (Heat, Cold, Radiation, Pressure, Poison, Disease, Radiation Damage) [11]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrowth) [9]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+14 Damage, DC 31)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +14, Fortitude +14, Will +2

Complications:
Prejudice (Monster)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 12 (107)

-Benny Tibbits was a soldier who was exposed to a Gamma Bomb by the villainous General Ryker, wishing to see its effects on others- Tibbits was the sole survivor of his platoon, becoming a Hulk-like creature. Misshapen and erratic in terms of his transformations, he was kind of a mess. Ryker sent him after the Hulk, then again, after Doc Samson's psychiatric intervention failed- Ryker just kept breaking him. Tibbits turned out to have "mommy issues", considering Ryker a mother figure, and doing whatever he said. He was eventually killed by one of the Gamma Corps during a raid on an A.I.M. base, where he was being held captive.

-Flux is essentially Hulk Lite in every way, not being good enough to win even with New Villain Stink on his side. He's still extremely strong, but only in the Thing/Colossus Tier, not the Hulk's.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Gamma Corps

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GAMMA CORPS
Created By:
Frank Tieri & Carlos Ferreira
First Appearance: World War Hulk: Gamma Corps #1 (July 2007)
Role: Hulk-Fighting Team

-The Gamma Corps were formed from people whose lives were ruined by the Hulk in some way- using the Hulk's DNA, they were given gamma powers and sent against the green goliath by General Ryker. In their first mission, they killed forgettable Hulk villailn Flux as "practice" for the big guy, but they failed to beat the Hulk. Once they figured out that The Illuminati were more responsible for their problems than the Hulk was, they turned their attentions on THOSE guys. After World War Hulk, the team had become fugitives from the law, but were recruited by Norman Osborn into becoming his bounty hunters. Eventually, however, they were de-powered by the "Doc Green" Hulk. Later, Ryker & Osborn created a second version of the team out of female "volunteers" (mentally unstable ex-soldiers on death row), and sent them against Lyra in her new She-Hulk book. Lyra killed Aberration & Morass, and Axon was killed by Ryker's men upon their failure of the mission.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Grey

Post by Jabroniville »

GREY (Lieutenant Brian Talbot)
Created By:
Role: Sorta-Hulk
Group Affiliation: Gamma Corps
PL 8 (100)
STRENGTH
2/10 STAMINA 3/10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Military) 5 (+6)
Insight 1 (+2)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Technology 1 (+2)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Rank), Fast Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
Enhanced Strength 8 [16]
Enhanced Stamina 7 [14]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Hulked-Up +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +5 (+10 Short-Haired), Fortitude +3 (+10 Boosted), Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (The Hulk)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 6 (100)

-Lieutenant Brian Talbot is the younger brother of Glenn Talbot, Betty's ex-husband. He has some of the Leader's DNA, but it seems to only keep his temper in check- he's a tactical expert who was glad to hear of his brother's death, as Glenn was retconned into being a violently abusive sibling. He joinedt he Gamma Corps specifically to show up his brother and do what he couldn't- stop the Hulk. Grey goes on a rampage after being pissed off by the Hulk.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 am The WB's animated DC Comics movies are always so much better than their live-action films it's ridiculous. Just make a shot-for-shot live action remake of Superman: Unbound or Superman vs. The Elite and I guarantee you a better box office return (and critical reception) than every other entry to date in the post-millennium Superman film franchise.
you had me until "superman vs the elite"
Jabroniville

Griffin (Franklin)

Post by Jabroniville »

GRIFFIN II (Private First Class Eliot "Crafty" Franklin, aka The Clown)
Created By:
Role: Upgraded Jobber
Group Affiliation: Gamma Corps, The Circus of Crime
PL 7 (134)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 3/8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6/7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills: 
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Circus Performer) 6 (+8)
Expertise (History) 2 (+3)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Daze (Deception), Equipment 3 (Clown Gadgets), Improved Critical (Trick Cane), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Clown Gadgets"
"Gas Cane" Affliction 6 (Fort; Fatigued/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud) (12) -- (15)
  • AE: "Magnum Pistol" Blast 5 (10)
  • AE: "Juggling Balls" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Ranged 3, Multiattack 3) (7)
  • AE: "Trick Cane" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) (3)
Powers:
Enhanced Strength 6 [12]
Enhanced Stamina 5 [10]
Enhanced Fighting 1 [2]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]
"Corrosive Spit" Blast 5 (Feats: Accurate) (Extras: Secondary Effect) Linked to Weaken Toughness 6 (Extras: Ranged) (Diminished Range -1) [26]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Harpy Strength +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Trick Cane +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Magnum Pistol +7 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Juggling Balls +7 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Gas Cane +6 Area (+6 Affliction, DC 16)
Corrosive Spit +9 (+5 Ranged Damage & +6 Ranged Weaken, DC 20 & 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 8 (137)

-Formerly Clown of the Circus of Crime (!!), gaining Harpy-like powers, plus Corrosive Spit. He's somewhat mentally unstable, and joined because he just "wants someone to be mad at". The lowest PL of his team, he's about PL 7.5, gaining decent villain powers on top of his barely-Mook-level abilities.

-Eliot's actually been given some characterization after being a generic background Mook for years, but it didn't really matter. Even splitting off from the Ringmaster and forming his own Circus multiple times never gave him anything more than "Named Mook" status, and he still goes down easy. 
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 am The WB's animated DC Comics movies are always so much better than their live-action films it's ridiculous. Just make a shot-for-shot live action remake of Superman: Unbound or Superman vs. The Elite and I guarantee you a better box office return (and critical reception) than every other entry to date in the post-millennium Superman film franchise.
honestly, I've never enjoyed any of those films. The Supergirl one, Doomsday, Earth-2, The Red Hood... I find them all dreadfully dull, bleak crap.

New Frontier was good, though.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:01 am
honestly, I've never enjoyed any of those films. The Supergirl one, Doomsday, Earth-2, The Red Hood... I find them all dreadfully dull, bleak crap.

Compared to the duller, bleaker, crap that was Man of Suicide Squad: Dawn of Giving More Money to Marvel Studios, though?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:25 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:01 am

Compared to the duller, bleaker, crap that was Man of Suicide Squad: Dawn of Giving More Money to Marvel Studios, though?
Never saw it. Though it sure as hell didn't suffer at the box office.
Jabroniville

Mess

Post by Jabroniville »

MESS (Corporal Nicole Martin)
Created By:
Role: Sorta-Abomination
Group Affiliation: Gamma Corps
PL 8 (97)
STRENGTH
2/11 STAMINA 3/11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Military) 5 (+6)
Insight 1 (+2)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Technology 1 (+2)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit 1 (Rank), Fast Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
Enhanced Strength 9 [18]
Enhanced Stamina 8 [16]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Short-Haired +5 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +11, Fortitude +11, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (The Hulk)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 5 (97)

-Gains Abomination-like powers (the second female character with powers like that). Her son burned to death in a car fire during a fight between the Hulk & Abomination, and she was left scarred- parts of her body were replaced with parts cloned from the Abomination. She was a great markswoman and the most well-trained member of the team, but learned later that Abomination had caused the accident that killed her son- not the Hulk.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.