Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Sidney369

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Wildcat I-III! Hourman I-III! The Sandman!)

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:38 pmGarrett was later revealed to have grown depressed in his lonely existence, and TAKEN HIS OWN LIFE, being replaced by the then-deceased Hector Hall (who later became the successor to Dr. Fate as well), as Brute & Glob were apparently manipulating both Sanford and then Hector to let them control the Dreaming. And this was Roy Thomas doing the writing- someone usually good at respecting prior creators' works. I guess even he couldn't find and f*cks to give about Garrett Sanford!
It was Gaiman who established that Brute and Glob were manipulating the Sandman, but you do have a point. I guess Roy was still salty about "HouseRoy".
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:28 amBut Sandy's history gets weirder, as NOBODY wants "normal guy with sleep gas" leading the team, so he suddenly turns into a silicate being with advanced Earth Control powers, shifting tectonic plates around and stuff like that.
His being a silicate being came from Justice League of America #113 from the early 70s (one of the 100 page giants). Of course, that never got mentioned again until the JSA book, probably because he made very few appearances in the 25 year period.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Davies

Re: The Sandman (Garrett Sanford)

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:38 pm And this was Roy Thomas doing the writing- someone usually good at respecting prior creators' works. I guess even he couldn't find and f*cks to give about Garrett Sanford!
Since (as Sidney369 stated) Kirby included a rather mean-spirited dig at Thomas in the Mr. Miracle story that introduced Funky Flashman (who was his dig at Stan Lee) I don't think there was a lot of love lost between those two, especially after you add in the fact that Thomas was the one who added the Eternals into the Marvel Universe against Kirby's wishes.

Sausages and laws, folks.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

A few thoughts about the JSA:

1) DC reviving the JSrly Silver Age with the whole 'Earth-Two" concept REALLY saved their Golden Age roster (along with the fact a few continued as backup features, such as Johnny Quick); aside from Captain America, Namor, and the legacy Human Torch, Marvel let their WWII era heroes languish for about fifteen years, before a handful got some attention in the 1970s Invaders series. And yes, DC definitely had BETTER second and third-stringers, but there were a few Timely characters who could have been something in the modern era.

2) A good, distinctive look is REALLY important in comics; that and one memorable hook can save a character. Hourman is classic example of this-simple but very well designed costume, with little flourishes such as the collar on the cape, the stripes on the cape and boots, and the freaking HOURGLASS! Mr. Terrific ("Fair Play") and Wildcat are lesser cases. The MU's prime example is Moon Knight, who started as a one-off jobber villain in Werewolf-By-Knight.

3) How did Rex Tyler end up designing AI systems and full-fledged androids? He was an organic chemist! Sandman was a detective and amateur who...built a ray gun that accidentally turned his sidekick into living sand!? Oh well, as She-Hulk once said "He's a comic-book scientist, Weezie<remember, Hank Pym started as an entomologist and ended up building robots."

4)Ken's right-aside from having the same secret ID and girlfriend, the gasmask-and-trench coat Sandman is a completely different guy than purple and gold tights Sandman.

5)Sandy/Sand/Sandman IV got lost in the shuffle; he started off as a commando style fighter, using updated gear (albeit with a stupid ball cap on his head) and JSA patron, then he's a backgrounder with geo-kinetic powers, then he goes missing for awhile, then returns but has prophetic dreams and his mentor's old gear and costume...he just ended up being a blur.

6)Marvel has kept multiple team titles viable for decades (Avengers, FF, X-Men) while DC has managed to crash and burn the Authority (once blazing hot), the LSH (which had a fandom for close to thirty years), the Titans (almost matched the X-men sales in the 1980s/early 90s), and the JSA (which had a VERY strong run, then died when split in two titles). Yes, they really botched things a LOT in the last twenty-five years or so.

All my be best..
Jabroniville

The Whip

Post by Jabroniville »

THE WHIP (Rodrigo "Rodney" Gaynor)
Created By:
Paul Gustavson
First Appearance: Flash Comics #1 (Jan. 1940)
Role: Forgotten Golden Age Hero
Group Affiliations: The All-Star Squadron
PL 6 (79)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Whip) 2 (+10)
Deception 5 (+7)
Insight 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment 1 (Whip- Reach 3 on Damage), Improved Critical (Whip), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Minion 4 (Horse- King)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Whip +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)- Gaynor fights the evil Landlords who mercilessly tax the poor.
Relationship (Vigilante)- The two occasionally team up.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (79)

-The Whip debuted in The Flash's solo series, nothing more than a Zorro knock-off who focused on the whip instead of the sword. There's no evidence he was anything but forgettable, and he briefly appeared in the All-Star Squadron series, and is descended from Don Fernando Suarez, a guy from 1840s Mexico, and was inspired to fight crime in his example. He lasted... holy crap, FIFTY-FIVE ISSUES of Flash Comics, but was never a cover act and vanished by 1944, well ahead of most of his contemporaries. He only shows up in a few side-panels on the covers, riding his horse King (later changed to Diablo).

-He's unrelated to the second Whip, named Johnny Lash, from a Quality Comics book, and got a successor (Shelly Gaynor, his granddaughter) who was killed in that Seven Soldiers thing Grant Morrison wrote in the 2000s. An assassin with the same name appeared as one of the League of Assassins in the NuDCU, apparently unrelated.

-Mild combat abilities and a focus on the whip make for a pretty easy PL 6 build. He's also got a horse since, y'know, Zorro.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:17 am A few thoughts about the JSA:

1) DC reviving the JSrly Silver Age with the whole 'Earth-Two" concept REALLY saved their Golden Age roster (along with the fact a few continued as backup features, such as Johnny Quick); aside from Captain America, Namor, and the legacy Human Torch, Marvel let their WWII era heroes languish for about fifteen years, before a handful got some attention in the 1970s Invaders series. And yes, DC definitely had BETTER second and third-stringers, but there were a few Timely characters who could have been something in the modern era.
6)Marvel has kept multiple team titles viable for decades (Avengers, FF, X-Men) while DC has managed to crash and burn the Authority (once blazing hot), the LSH (which had a fandom for close to thirty years), the Titans (almost matched the X-men sales in the 1980s/early 90s), and the JSA (which had a VERY strong run, then died when split in two titles). Yes, they really botched things a LOT in the last twenty-five years or so.
These two are interesting and kinda related- it requires a consistent push and the next writer to not just get bored of things... or for the original writer not to fall apart (ie. Wolfman). Marvel consistently put big creative teams on the FF, Avengers & X-Men, maintaining at least SOME level of quality, whereas DC was far more prone to just flush everything down the toilet and try some OTHER thing. Marvel, meanwhile, never cared enough for more Golden Age characters than Cap & Namor, so the rest just get screwed around with (the Torch has died more than Jean Grey!).
2) A good, distinctive look is REALLY important in comics; that and one memorable hook can save a character. Hourman is classic example of this-simple but very well designed costume, with little flourishes such as the collar on the cape, the stripes on the cape and boots, and the freaking HOURGLASS! Mr. Terrific ("Fair Play") and Wildcat are lesser cases. The MU's prime example is Moon Knight, who started as a one-off jobber villain in Werewolf-By-Knight.
Or cases like Spider-Gwen, whose entire run (which now includes a MOVIE appearance is chalked up to a cool costume design.
3) How did Rex Tyler end up designing AI systems and full-fledged androids? He was an organic chemist! Sandman was a detective and amateur who...built a ray gun that accidentally turned his sidekick into living sand!? Oh well, as She-Hulk once said "He's a comic-book scientist, Weezie<remember, Hank Pym started as an entomologist and ended up building robots."
Yeah, it's a "Because Comics" thing. Morrison started it with Hourman III I believe, and now he's just some super-tech guru. Which is funny because his personality is "Action-Junkie Brawler".
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:38 pm And this was Roy Thomas doing the writing- someone usually good at respecting prior creators' works. I guess even he couldn't find and f*cks to give about Garrett Sanford!
Actually, it was Roy Thomas who invented Garrett Sanford.

Yes, it was Jack Kirby who invented this iteration of Sandman, but Kirby intended this Sandman to be THE Sandman of folklore; essentially the same character that Gaiman's Sandman would become years later.

In the February 1983 issue of Wonder Woman that Roy Thomas would retcon Kirby's creation to be Garrett Sandford, NOT "Dream."

So, when Thomas killed off Sanford to let Hector take over... he was just swapping in one creation for another.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: The Whip

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:46 am -The Whip debuted in The Flash's solo series, nothing more than a Zorro knock-off who focused on the whip instead of the sword. There's no evidence he was anything but forgettable, and he briefly appeared in the All-Star Squadron series, and is descended from Don Fernando Suarez, a guy from 1840s Mexico, and was inspired to fight crime in his example. He lasted... holy crap, FIFTY-FIVE ISSUES of Flash Comics
Flash Comics was NOT the Flash's solo series. Flash Comics was an anthology series that yes, had the Flash AND Hawkman as the headliners (Carter got almost as many covers as Jay). When Jay proved popular enough to get his solo book, that solo book was named All-Flash.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Mister America (Tex Thompson)

Post by Jabroniville »

MISTER AMERICA I (Tex Thomson, aka Americommando, The Coordinator)
Created By:
Ken Fitch & Bernard Baily
First Appearance: Action Comics #1 (June 1938)
Role: Weapon-User, Patriotic Hero
Group Affiliations: The All-Star Squadron
PL 7 (112)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Athletics 5 (+8)
Deception 8 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Defensive Attack, Equipment (Whip), Evasion, Improved Critical (Whip), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 3

Offense:
Unarmed/Whip +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Fighting the Nazis)- Thomson becomes a patriotic hero after the ocean liner he was riding on was sank by Nazis.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 12 (112)

-Mr. America was another minor-league hero, though he debuted at the same time Superman did, in Action Comics #1. He could have inheited an Oil Barony, but instead ran off to have a life of adventure with his buddy, Bob Daley. Though I'm a bit surprised to find out that the early strips were just called Tex Thomson and in fact had NOTHING TO DO with superhero stuff- it was just a regular adventure book! Complete with big fat sidekick and a racist caricature (Gargantua T. Potts, a freed slave who looks more ape than man) as pals! It wasn't until LATER (Action Comics #33, to be exact), that superheroes had become a big thing, that Thomson was reimagined as a tights-wearing superhero with a patriot theme.

-When the Nazi threat approaches, Tex decides to don a patriotic costume and fight them as Mister America, faking Tex's death on an ocean liner sunk by German forces. His friend Bob becomes his "sidekick", Fatman. He actually lasts through a BIG chunk of the Golden Age, all the way until Action Comics #74, before retirement, but he was entirely forgotten after this point- I don't think he was ever a huge success (the book was naturally carried by Superman above all else- I'm not sure what the criteria is for "success" from the back-up features). Roy Thomas was the only one to remember the guy, and added him to the All-Star Squadron, but he only appeared in a handful of background spots. He is later retconned into becoming The Americommando under orders from President Roosevelt- he goes undercover in Nazi Germany. As an aged war hero, he later forms the Hero Hotline as The Coordinator.

-Mr. America's your standard PL 7 non-powered hero, but at one point used a Magic Carpet that allowed him to fly (he would use it as a cape when not in use).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:09 pm
Actually, it was Roy Thomas who invented Garrett Sanford.

Yes, it was Jack Kirby who invented this iteration of Sandman, but Kirby intended this Sandman to be THE Sandman of folklore; essentially the same character that Gaiman's Sandman would become years later.

In the February 1983 issue of Wonder Woman that Roy Thomas would retcon Kirby's creation to be Garrett Sandford, NOT "Dream."

So, when Thomas killed off Sanford to let Hector take over... he was just swapping in one creation for another.
Oh, OK- that's why Simon & Kirby are listed as creators despite Thomas doing much of the later messing about.

I had no idea about the Thomas/Kirby dislike. Both men were generally admired, but it makes sense Kirby would resent "Stanley's boy".
Jabroniville

Mister America (Jeffrey Graves)

Post by Jabroniville »

MISTER AMERICA III (Jeffrey Graves)
Created By:
Geoff Johns & Dale Eaglesham
First Appearance: Justice Society of America #1 (Feb. 2007)
Role: Weapon-User, Patriotic Hero
Group Affiliations: The Justice Society of America, The FBI
PL 8 (118)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Whip) 1 (+11)
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (FBI Agent) 5 (+8)
Insight 3 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Contacts (FBI), Defensive Attack, Evasion, Improved Critical (Whip), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Jack-of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Explosive Whip" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
Damage 8 (Feats: Reach 3) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (Inaccurate -1) (15 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Whip +11 (+2 Damage, DC 18)
Exploding Whip +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Tough Justice)- Graves was an FBI Agent before he became a superhero. Though a nice guy ordinarily, he once tortured a violent kidnapper, and promised "next time I'll make sure" the man never walked again.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 12 (118)

-The third Mr. America follows ultra-closely on the heels of the second, Trey Thompson, who was killed in the opening arc of the JSA's restarted series (he was murdered by Vandal Savage, out to slay the families of various patriotic heroes, before he moved on to the JSA's "whelps" himself). The FBI agent partner of Trey, Graves fed him information to aid his vigilante activities, and was fired as a result. During the end of the first arc, the JSA elders point out the flaw in Savage's plan- not every legacy hero is related to his predecessor (Dr. Mid-Nite & Mr. Terrific, for example). As they're narrating this, Jefffrey is seen putting on the domino mask himself.

-He scarcely appeared since then, showing up to investigate the deaths of several god-themed characters by Gog (*sniff*... poor Goth...), setting up the next big arc. It wasn't until the two JSA books split under Willingham & Sturges that he got ANY kind of play, as he joined the "elder" squad and... kind of farted around again. He got some Exploding Whips from Mr. Terrific, but I mainly recall a funny bit where various writers were supposed to come up with "focus stories" on individual JSA members. When it came time for Graves' focus story, they instead spent more time on Cyclone as the two had a conversation- naturally, as a character with a real "voice" and depth, Maxine was a better subject than someone who was basically just a name and a costume. Graves had a huge amount of stuff working against him- he basically didn't get to do anything in his origin story (Johns cruelly made us like Trey Thomson, before offing the guy), he has a bad, plain costume; the whole "Whip Guy" thing is never cool, his name is forgettable and plain... and he is COMPLETELY REDUNDANT on a team like like FIVE Bad-Ass Normals on it already!

-Mr. America III is basically a PL 8 Whip-Fighter guy, whose special whips make him a lot more powerful. He's just an average non-powered hero without them (basically being PL 7 offensively), but the power upgrade is a killer.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

... exploding whip?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Re: Mister America (Tex Thompson)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:09 pm It wasn't until LATER (Action Comics #33, to be exact), that superheroes had become a big thing, that Thomson was reimagined as a tights-wearing superhero with a patriot theme.

-When the Nazi threat approaches, Tex decides to don a patriotic costume and fight them as Mister America, faking Tex's death on an ocean liner sunk by German forces. His friend Bob becomes his "sidekick", Fatman. He actually lasts through a BIG chunk of the Golden Age, all the way until Action Comics #74, before retirement, but he was entirely forgotten after this point- I don't think he was ever a huge success (the book was naturally carried by Superman above all else- I'm not sure what the criteria is for "success" from the back-up features). Roy Thomas was the only one to remember the guy, and added him to the All-Star Squadron, but he only appeared in a handful of background spots. He is later retconned into becoming The Americommando under orders from President Roosevelt- he goes undercover in Nazi Germany. As an aged war hero, he later forms the Hero Hotline as The Coordinator.
Tex becoming the Americommando happened between Action Comics #52 and #53. In #53, the feature is still called "Mr. America" but the story is named "Americommando and the Cinema Saboteur". In #54, we actually see the meeting with President Roosevelt, and FDR addresses Tex as Mr. America, and re-christens him "Americommando", despite him being called as such by Fatman in the prior issue, and the narration in both issues. FDR also sends Bob (Fatman) Daley packing. As near as I can figure, the creative team decided to change his code name, and only after they had done so, decided on the new direction of sending Tex oversees.

Jabroniville

The Golden Age Mister Terrific

Post by Jabroniville »

MISTER TERRIFIC I (Terrence "Terry" Sloane)
Created By:
Charles Reizenstein & Everett E. Hibbard
First Appearance: Sensation Comics #1 (Jan. 1942)
Role: Forgotten Golden Age Hero
Group Affiliations: The Justice Society of America, The All-Star Squadron
PL 8 (139)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 10 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+13)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Business) 6 (+12)
Expertise (Streetwise) 2 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 3 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+6)
Technology 2 (+8)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Beginner's Luck, Benefit 3 (Wealth), Eidetic Memory, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Jack-Of-All-Trades, Languages (A Few), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Colorblind)- Dear God I hope so...
Enemy (The Spirit King)- The King would possess Jay Garrick and be the end of Terry.
Relationship (Ned- Brother)- Terry has a brother who's a major F-up, and constantly needs to be bailed out of trouble. He later gives birth to a daughter who becomes the villainess Roulette, who considers Terry her father.

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (139)

-The Golden Age Mister Terrific is largely known for having what may be the single WORST costume in the history of superhero comics. Like, in the Golden Age they were still figuring things out about what worked and what didn't, and guys were throwing everything out there to earn paychecks, so I'm a bit more forgiving of suits from this era compared to later ones, but MY GOD. The red and green clash so horribly, and then there's the big "FAIR PLAY" boilerplate right on the front. It's like the 1950s version of Roulette says when she captures him. "I saw your costume- let me guess. You're colorblind".

-Renaissance Man and ultimate Fashion Victim Terry Sloane had accomplished so much by his early 20s that he felt he had nothing left to live for, and planned to commit suicide. However, he rescued a woman attempting suicide from a bridge, and solved her personal problems (her brother was mixed up in a gang)- he then found meaning to his empty life: he formed "The Fair Play Club", a group devoted to putting a stop to juvenile delinquency. Terry became Mister Terrific, a crimefighter, and THAT was the focus his life needed.

-However, despite this uplifting origins, Mr. Terrific was a pretty minor-league guy, and a big failure overall- he only appeared in ONE ISSUE of the JSA feature (replacing Starman & Spectre) before being turfed for better characters, and then went back to his own feature before having a pretty mediocre run (though he was in 60+ issues of Wonder Woman's Sensation Comics, though spread out a bit longer than many of his JSA contemporaries, existing across five years). This may have something to do with the fact that he is wearing what is quite possibly the WORST superhero costume in the history of the universe. Seriously, even by the standards of crappy superhero costumes, this one looks bad.

-Mr. Terrific was so bad that he hardly ever showed up in the big JSA/JLA crossovers- after appearing every few years or so, he was unceremoniously killed off in 1979, seven years after his last appearance! Found strangled and floating in water, it was discovered that the villainous Spirit King had possessed Jay "Flash" Garrick and forced him to strangle Terry. Jay was guilt-ridden but immediately forgiven by his peers (including the Spectre), and Terry was thus gone for good. Back in 1979, it was still pretty rare to kill off rercurring super-heroes, much less ones from a major team, so clearly they felt they could just get rid of the guy. Terry took the longest to get a Legacy Character of any of his JSA contemporaries, too. And I mean, most of this team had featured little-seen Golden Agers that went on to much longer careers owing to being on the team for even a few issues... but not Terry.

-Despite his failure as a character, Terry Sloane is depicted as a super-genius Renaissance Man who's good at literally anything he tries, and includes an Eidetic Memory (something that's actually more common amongst these guys that you'd think). He's an expensive PL 8 with numerous skills and abilities.
Ken

Re: The Golden Age Mister Terrific

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:41 am he was unceremoniously killed off in 1979, seven years after his last appearance! Found strangled and floating in water, it was discovered that the villainous Spirit King had possessed Jay "Flash" Garrick and forced him to strangle Terry. Jay was guilt-ridden but immediately forgiven by his peers (including the Spectre), and Terry was thus gone for good.
Jab... you need to find a better source for your story summaries.

Terry was found in space, outside of the JLA satellite, and strangled. It was the Spirit-King-controlling-Jay that caused an explosion, a hull breach of the satellite that was supposed to hide the strangulation. But the Spirit King states quite clearly that he used his own two hands, not Jay's, to strangle Mt. T. Spirit King was trying to get revenge on both Flash and Mr. T. Kill Terry, and have Jay be blamed for it.

ImageImage

And I like Terry's costume.

Jabroniville

Re: The Golden Age Mister Terrific

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:23 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:41 am he was unceremoniously killed off in 1979, seven years after his last appearance! Found strangled and floating in water, it was discovered that the villainous Spirit King had possessed Jay "Flash" Garrick and forced him to strangle Terry. Jay was guilt-ridden but immediately forgiven by his peers (including the Spectre), and Terry was thus gone for good.
Jab... you need to find a better source for your story summaries.

Terry was found in space, outside of the JLA satellite, and strangled. It was the Spirit-King-controlling-Jay that caused an explosion, a hull breach of the satellite that was supposed to hide the strangulation. But the Spirit King states quite clearly that he used his own two hands, not Jay's, to strangle Mt. T. Spirit King was trying to get revenge on both Flash and Mr. T. Kill Terry, and have Jay be blamed for it.

I’ve read a comic that summed it up and I remember Jay being made to do it. That might be a retcon. The DC Wiki sums it up as:

Terrific retired as a superhero and became an English literature teacher at Gateway University. There he discovered an old enemy, the Spirit King, stealing a device from the campus laboratory. He resumed his identity of Mr. Terrific to hunt down Spirit King. Spirit King got the jump on Mr. Terrific, strangling him to death. At the time he was using Jay Garrick's body which was under his control [2]. The Justice Society of America pledged to bring King to justice and avenge Mr. Terrific, but it would be many years before they were given the opportunity.