Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Zatanna! Guardian! The Newsboy Legion! Starman I-V!)

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:04 pmWill, to me, indicated "Hero learning the ropes", albeit for a pretty long run (45 issues). What are his feats and accomplishments in terms of actual power and skill?
Well, in his first 14 issues...
He defeated Bolt after Bolt explicitly got a power booster (after their first round). You posted panel of this battle; the boosters are on Bolt's wrists and when Will was merely stunned Bolt was thinking the blast would have taken out an F-15.

He fought the second Blockbuster (before the soul selling); he had a tough time of it because Blockbuster was stronger than him, but he took the punishment and since their final confrontation took place in a cloud of bat-gas, Will and Bats won.

He fought the Power Elite, repeatedly. All 6 of him beat him the first time. The second time they were down to 5 (one died), and while Will didn't knock them all out, he still basically won, with the last 4 members (another one died) of the P.E. either dying in a massive explosion or escaping.

He fought and defeated the Parasite twice. The second time, Parasite had stocked up on Superman's powers (literally), and Will beat him basically by taking it and fighting back until Parasite used up Clark's powers.

Re-reading those early issues, I think your 10 Toughness is a little low. Will keeps getting pounded on and pounded on. Similarly, the 8 Dodge and Parry are tad high. Will's not a great fighter or anything. Maybe more like a 6 D&P and a 13 Toughness.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ken wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:34 pm
Ares pmade to be a wrote:Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:31 pmHonestly, I'd swap the PLs for Jack and Will. If you think Will never beat anyone notable, that goes double for Jack. Jack did technically have a "fight" with Captain Marvel, but it mostly of Cap trying to talk Jack down while Jack threw everything against him, and ended the second Cap wanted it to. Though Robinson portrayed Cap as a simpleton, and seemed to only respect the power Cap had. IMO, Will would demolish Jack in a fight, and I can't see Jack being a higher PL than Ted.
Will actually improved with time; so I could see his PL going up, particularly after his sparring session with Superman.

Jack was a solid PL 8.
Jack Knight/Starman VI likely did start out at PL 8 in M&M terms, leveling up to PL 9 as he got more experienced and confident over the course of the series, MAYBE hitting PL 10 near the end of the book/grand climatic battle in Opal with all the heroes and villains participating. He started out using the Cosmic Rod/Staff for just basic effects, then late in the series gained a bunch of alternate powers when Ted Knight basically called him out for being oblivious. And yes, Jack was kind of a jerk...but he did get called out on this several times over during the series, by his father, a casual girlfriend, and a couple others. He eventually begun to grow up, though not necessarily become more likeable.

I enjoyed the book a lot during its' run, but even then felt it started to meander, and linking all the Starmen together got way too convoluted (and definitely did Will Payton and his supporting cast wrong. And yeah, I loved how Robinson did a rich history for Opal, and made the Shade rather interesting, but it did got pretentious-"I gave you the hero's name", uh what now? Ted know that his first son wasn't cut out to be a superhero AT BIRTH? And I seem to recall a "David" who had the bravery to take on a giant warrior. Robinson also got WAY too in love with pet characters, and wrote others he didn't care about way OUT of character.

Will Payton was a solid PL 10 from the start; he did struggle mightily against Blockbuster (the second one), though honestly I have no idea how strong either Mark or Roland Desmond were supposed to be, I mean, most of the time they fought against Bat-Family members but in others they flipped over bulldozers and cranes or shoved around a hundred-plus ton of rock. I liked the first costume more as well, btw.

As I stated over, I pegged Price Gavyn as PL 11 in his later DCU appearances, but even that might have been generous (it was the early days of 3rd edition and I still somewhat thought of PL as being how much a character could do, not just combat effectiveness); he was no more than PL 9 in the red-costume days, before he got M'ntorr's (oh geez, that was bad even back then) cosmic staff. He got "reset" to PL 12 by the books editors, but then again I disagreed with a LOT of the PLs listed in this books-there was a good deal of DC editorial fiat involved.

All my best.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

One interesting thing about Dr. Occult is that the first part of the Koth storyline, which is the one he gained a superhero-like costume, wasn't published in a DC comic. It was in Comics Magazine #1 in 1936, published by the company that would become Centaur. He was renamed Dr. Mystic, but it was still done by Siegel and Shuster and the story continued in More Fun.

There was an obscure pre-Golden Age magical hero named Nadir, Man of Magic https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Nadir_(Earth-Two) How obscure was he? Roy Thomas never used him, or even mentioned him in his list of Golden Age National and Quality characters.

Also, if you'd like, I can send you info on all the Quality heroes, even the really obscure ones, if you'd like.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Didn't know that about Dr. Occult, but the early comics were sort of odd in that way; Phantom Lady originated with Quality, but appeared under the auspices of several other publishers, including Fox Features; Black Fury/Miss Fury was a long running comic-strip series (it lasted until 1952) but was short-lived comic-book at Timely. More of a free for all back then among the smaller publishers.
Ken

Post by Ken »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 amPhantom Lady originated with Quality, but appeared under the auspices of several other publishers, including Fox Features
She was written, drawn, and packaged by the Eisner-Iger Studio, and the finished product sold to "Busy" Arnold for his Quality Comics line. When Arnold stopped buying, they sold the stories to other publishers.

Made the rights to Phantom Lady a mess. Charlton bought Fox... which is why Eve Eden's story is so similar to Sandra Knight's

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:10 am Didn't know that about Dr. Occult, but the early comics were sort of odd in that way; Phantom Lady originated with Quality, but appeared under the auspices of several other publishers, including Fox Features; Black Fury/Miss Fury was a long running comic-strip series (it lasted until 1952) but was short-lived comic-book at Timely. More of a free for all back then among the smaller publishers.
And then there's the Blue Falme https://pdsh.fandom.com/wiki/Blue_Flame which is obviously a recoloured Human Torch story.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:04 pm Will, to me, indicated "Hero learning the ropes", albeit for a pretty long run (45 issues). What are his feats and accomplishments in terms of actual power and skill?
Okay, going through the issues I own, which is the Stern-era:

Issue 01:

- Will gains his powers. He's shown discovering his abilities slowly. A the time he learns he can fly, is superstrong, bulletproof, can change his appearance and voice, can generate light and heat,

- He's shown to be strong enough to casually deform metal, up to and including squeezing an I-Beam like it was made of clay. He could also toss around decently sized boulders like they were footballs.

- He's shown lifting a heavy piece of construction equipment that weighted in excess of 50 tons, but it was a strain for him to do so.

- He's shown to be bulletproof, with the bullets from a pistol causing him a little pain but no real damage.

Issue 02:

- He's shown capable of breaking the sound barrier while flying. He also first demonstrates that he doesn't need to breath.

- He's able to lift larger boulders bigger than he is for 20 minutes with no strain or exhaustion.

- He's able of generating a field of heat around him that can melt steel in seconds.

- He casually lifts a car of a kidnapper and tosses it a pretty decent distance away.

- He's again shown to be bulletproof, with machine gun fire from a machine-gun just bouncing off harmlessly.

- He radiates enough heat that the gun in the kidnappers hand melts and explodes while being a good distance from Starman.

Issue 03:

- Starman has his first fight with a supervillain. Bolt's various lightning blasts cause him pain, but don't overly injure him. He also survives a fall when Bolt blasts him out of the air with a sneak attack.

- Bolt displays some superstrength, but Starman pretty quickly overwhelms him and Bolt is forced to teleport away to avoid capture.

- In a rematch, Bolt has some power boosters and hits Starman with "a blast that would have blown an F-16 out of the sky" but Starman is only stunned for a moment.

- Bolt is able to hurt Starman by placing his power boosted wrists on Starman's head and unloading all of his power between them, trying to fry his brain. Starman responds by heating Bolt's wrist-boosters until they overheat and fail, then KO's Bolt with a punch.

Issue 04:

- Starman casually moves some heavy debris while saving some firefighters and makes it clear he doesn't need to breathe.

- He has his first fight with a team of villains, the Power Elite, who set a trap for him. The entire team (each of whom basically has one of his powers) lays in ambush, and actually pulls it off well, each of them keeping Starman on the defensive, hammering him while he's off balance from the initial sucker punch, and do a combo attack to weaken him for the shapeshifter to grow giant size and beat the tar out of him.

Issue 05:

- This issue is a tie-in to the Invasion crossover event. The aliens attempt to kidnap Starman from the institute that funds the Power Elite, but he escapes, taking out a Khund with a single kick.

- Starman teams up with Firestorm, Firehawk and Powergirl to aid the military against an alien invasion in the South Pacific. He's shown beating up Khund soldiers, destroying their weapons and weapon emplacements, is immune to Khund hand-held weapons, and while their bigger artillery hurts him a lot, it doesn't inflict a lot of damage on him. He doesn't actually use his energy powers during this fight, fighting more like a flying brick. He works with the soldiers and the other heroes and successfully drives the aliens off the island, and personally rescues Adam Strange.

Issue 06:

- Another Invasion tie-in.

- In this issue, he holds up the Sydney Opera House, preventing it from collapsing. However, the damage is such that it starts to fall apart in his hands, despite his strength, but Green Lantern and Powergirl show up to help out. He uses his heat powers to spot-weld some I-Beams in place to support the structure until it can be completely repaired.

- On a lighter note, Starman actually makes friends with Hal Jordan, Powergirl, the Atom and the Blue Beetle. It's kind of refreshing. He even specifically calls out Ted as being a great guy.

- Starman has a rematch with the Power Elite, and without the element of surprise he's able to hold his own against the entire team, right when the Gene-Bomb goes off. He dodges some rapid fire energy blasts, tanks a fire blast, melts through a bus that is dropped on him, and outmuscles the giant shapeshifter of the team.

Issue 07:

- In the time between issues 6 and 7, Starman takes part in the assault on the Invasion Aliens homeworld to gain the cure for the Gene-Bomb. While he does more alien punching, and demonstrates his first full on energy blast.

- Starman finds out he isn't technically human anymore, and vents his frustration on a rock formation, and breaks it up with his punches. When he does some similar venting on a metal dumpster, he destroys it with a punch.

Issue 08:

- Starman shows that his shapeshifting is sufficient to perfectly mimic people.

- He does some casual superhero stuff like having a crooks bullets bounce of his chest and using his heat powers to blow out the tires on the guys car.

Issue 09:

- Starman has a brief fight with Blockbuster, tackling him into a two-story building hard enough that the entire thing collapses. Starman is unharmed and Blockbuster shifts back to his human form to escape.

- Starman reveals he can reach flight speeds of Mach 2.

- Starman and Blockbuster re-match, and Blockbuster is definitely in one of his stronger incarnations. He's able to casually pick up a car and toss it at Starman, and the two smack each other around pretty hard, sending each other flying several city blocks away when they cut loose. Blockbuster gets his hands on Starman and throws him so hard he flies through several buildings, smashing his head into some heavy duty kitchen equipment and passing out.

Issue 10:

- Starman was out cold for about half an hour.

- Rematch with Blockbuster, with Starman fighting a bit smarter and getting an assist from Batman. He first uses his flight power to toss Blockbuster around a bit, and once Batman throws some gas bombs, Starman is able to just beat the tar out of Blockbuster and eventually put him down, capitalizing on the fact that he doesn't need to breathe while Blockbuster does.

Issue 11:

- Starman is shown lifting an entire exercise weight machine with one hand above his head.

- Starman generates his first energy blast within his own series. While testing out a new heat resistant ceramic, the heat from his blasts melts the steel stand the ceramic is on and fuses the sand around the ceramic into glass.

- Starman is tricked into helping the Power Elite, who have been comatose since the Gene-Bomb. The machine used to revive them is made of the same heat-proof ceramic he was testing earlier, and they use his energies to augment the Power Elite, improving their powers. Starman overloads the machine, his heat actually destroying the ceramic with enough effort and it explodes, killing one of the Power Elite who refused to leave the machine and was killed by the energy overload.

Issue 12:

- Re-rematch with the Power Elite. He forces himself to walk through the energy attack of the most powerful blaster on the team, he does a ground pound that sends everyone flying, he outmuscles the giant shapeshifter and the smaller strongwoman, all while working to save civilians. He melts debris the telekinetic throws at him and dodges the team blaster's shots. When the reactor powering the institute explodes, Starman is ground zero, but survives.

Issue 13:

- Starman has a brief fight with Dr. Kitty Faulkner in her Rampage persona. He's shown to be roughly her level strength-wise, but when he uses his solar power on her, she grows to about 20 feet tall, which surprises him enough that she's able to talk him down and end the fight.

- The Parasite absorbs Rampage's power, becoming giant-sized himself. He gets his hands on Starman and absorbs more solar energy from him, growing so big he can hold Starman in his hand like a G.I. Joe. Starman is able to break his grip, then on Kitty's suggestion, uses his power to overload Parasite, causing him to basically melt into a pile of green good.

Issue 14:

- Superman guest stars. Starman asks Superman for some lessons on being a hero, including some sparring. It's clear Superman is stronger and faster than Starman, both in reaction time and flight speed. Starman is able to dodge and block some of Superman's attacks, but it's clear Superman isn't going all out. Starman is able to use his shapeshifting to briefly catch Superman off guard (via assuming Superman's appearance and startling him) and throw him to the ground.

- The Parasite drains Superman of about half his power (by Superman's estimation). Starman and Parasite fight, and it's a pretty even back and forth slugfest. Starman takes the lessons Superman gave him and keeps it purely physical, never using his energy powers so that the Parasite might absorb said solar energy and re-charge Superman's powers. Parasite also finds that he can't drain Starman's energies, so Starman simply keeps trading punches with Parasite until Parasite wears himself out and burns out all of Superman's powers.

- Superman commented that it would take him days of sunlight exposure to regain his full power. Starman is able to generate enough concentrated solar energy to recharge him fully in a couple of hours.

Issue 15:

- Starman catches and safely lands a lear jet, albeit with some difficulty due to the whole "if I push too hard it'll rip itself in half" issue.

- Starman fights Deadline. He shrugs off a firebomb, melts his way through the floor to keep after Deadline, and when Deadline tries to cut Starman's throat with a knife, said knife does nothing. Deadline then phases his energy rifle's barrel halfway into Starman's chest and pulls the trigger, which causes the gun explodes. Deadline is sent fling backwards while Starman is briefly stunned and gives off an annoyed "OW". Deadline uses his phasing powers to escape.

Issue 16:

- No major feats this issue.

Issue 17:

- Starman has a very brief fight with Dr. Polaris, who is shown able to take out Power Girl (albeit a weaker Power Girl). Essentially, Polaris hits Starman with Power Girl's more durable body, and between the impacts and the fact that Polaris' magnetism affects Starman's thought process, Starman is taken out.

Issue 18:

- Dr. Polaris imprisons Starman and Power Girl in a machine that generates a magnetic field too strong for either of them to break. He uses his voice mimic power to try and use Polaris' voice to deactivate the machine, but can't guess the proper password. Starman destroys said machine by generating enough radiant heat to destroy the device, which causes Power Girl some damage.

- Re-match with Polaris. Polaris is able to restrain Starman with debris and zap Power Girl with raw magnetism, but Starman is able to melt his way free from the metal. He uses his shapeshifting power to take on Polaris' face and voice, and plays on Polaris' split personality issues, which causes Polaris to fly away in a panic and accidentally hit several power lines, taking himself out of the fight.

Issue 19:

- Starman fights a suit of 20 foot tall power armor called Artillery, which is piloted by a former soldier. Starman is hit with several hundred thousand volts of electricity, which is shown to be painful to him. When Artillery launches a barrage of missiles and bullets, Starman is able to dodge them and zap Artillery in return. Artillery responds with more artificial lightning, and Starman disrupts the attack with a punch before switching to his energy blast, which quickly causes the suit major damage. Artillery flies away at Mach 2, Starman is able to overhaul the robot, tackling it into the ground. He then rips off Artillery's arm and starts beating the suit with it, cracking the helmet seal. Starman realizes there's a person in the armor rather than it just being a remote piloted robot, and rips the helmet off before pulling the pilot out, ending the fight.

Issue 20:

- Starman visits S.T.A.R. Labs for some further testing. They find out that due to the energy nature of his body, Polaris' magnetic fields disrupted his thought process. However, his body was able to adapt to said fields so that he didn't suffer similar issues in the re-match. This implies that Starman's unique biology is rife for complications, but also adapts to certain things fairly quickly.

- Starman spends roughly an entire week without sleeping or eating fighting a massive forest fire, doing things like ripping off a bulldozer's shovel and plowing land himself, throwing around trees, dropping massive amounts of water on heavier parts of the fire, etc. While the physical bits are impressive, it's really the stamina part that's moreso, given he basically never stopped the entire time.

Issue 21:

- Minor superhero feats, crumpling a gun casually and when a criminal places the barrel of his gun right up against Starman's back and pulls the trigger, Starman is unharmed when the gun explodes and the backfire kills said criminal.

Issue 22:

- Minor superhero feats, using his powers as part of a movie production, doing things like lifting a car, punching through a brick wall, etc.

Issue 23:

- Minor superhero feats, again while part of a movie crew. Breaking through brick walls, ripping steel bars off of a wall, bending a tank barrel, etc.

Issue 24:

- No major feats.

Issue 25:

- Re-match with Deadline. Deadline goes full on 'Batman Prep-Time' on Starman, getting a hostage and rigging a battlefield in advance before Starman shows up. He rigs a fake building with a bomb that explodes, stunning Starman and covering him in a substance that contains some specially treated boron, which interferes with the nuclear fusion that powers Starman, weakening him somewhat. Deadline then sucker blasts Starman while the hero is checking on a hostage before pursuing Deadline.

The two trade blasts, Starman managing to tag Deadline when the criminal is solid via timing, only for Deadline to lead Starman through a canyon with several concealed missile launchers, which blast Starman out of the air. As he's falling, Starman blasts the Mr. Miracle-style flight disks Deadline has been using off of the guy's feet, causing him to crash. Deadline leads Starman into an abandoned mine, blasting Starman with his high powered energy rifle, explaining how the boron gel has been slowing him down and weakening him, and then sets his rifle to overload, which explodes, leveling the entire mine.

Deadline naturally phases through the explosion and the debris, and is savoring his victory . . . when the entire mine explodes, sending debris everywhere that Deadline barely phases through. Starman walks out of the mine, looking pissed, so Deadline goes for his last tactic. He phases a blade coated in cadmium into Starman's body, figuring that since that metal controls nuclear reactions, it'll potentially kill Starman.

Instead, energy comes pouring out of the hole Deadline just made in Starman's body, sending energy spilling everywhere, vaporizing the knife and knocking out Deadline. Starman calls Deadline an idiot because cadmium controls nuclear FISSION. Starman is powered by nuclear FUSSION. Luckily the wound quickly heals itself closed, preventing a massive radiation leak.

- Another example of how Starman's immune to some things, but is vulnerable to things that attack his nuclear processes directly. He's immune to the Parasite, but not chemistry.

Issue 26:

- Starman (Will for simplicity's sake) encounters David Knight, who has both the Cosmic Rod and the Cosmic Converter Belt. Ted Knight's old enemy, the Mist, arranges for the two to fight, with David blasting Will with a sucker shot, which blasts him two miles straight up into the air and briefly stuns him. David then traps Will in a bubble, who breaks out via a burst of energy. David shoots at Will, who dodges and then blinds David with a burst of light. David passes out, since the Mist has been manipulating things this entire time, using post-hypnotic suggestions to control David and gave David a command to fall asleep. Will brings David back to the ground, concerned that David is hurt. At which point the Mist steals David's cosmic converter belt, which interacts with his own powers, transforming him into 'Nimbus'.

Issue 27:

- Will attempts to fight Nimbus, who has grown to something like 100 feet tall. It turns out the point of this was to get Starman to unknowingly supercharge the belt, which in turn could supercharge Mist's powers, turning him into Nimbus. Nimbus is strong and fast enough to grab Will and hold him in place, and demonstrates vast weather control power. Will uses his heat powers to get Nimbus to let him go, but Nimbus is more annoyed that Will dared try to harm him. Nimbus throws Will through several skyscrapers, who recovers, swings back around and gets ready to keep fighting. Nimbus then hits Will with lightning compared to what the entire USA uses in a single year, which knocks Will out.

- Will and David have to pause in their fight with Nimbus to try and save people from the damage the wind, rain and lightning Nimbus has summoned caused. They find an oil tanker that a smaller ship has crashed into. Will has to give David (who is only now operating under his own free will) some guidance on being a superhero, since this is David's first outing. Under Will's direction, David uses his energy constructs to smother an oil fire and then use his wand to separate the oil from the water and transport it somewhere else. Meanwhile, Will tows the entire oil tanker to safety.

- David relates his backstory to Will, and Will notes that David is looking to Will like he's the old pro, even though he's only been Starman for less than a year. However, David does note how quick thinking Will is, and how he's really learned to adapt to these situations.

- Re-match with Nimbus. Will flies up with a large missile strapped to his back, which actually conceals David and a special magnetic resonance probe as a kind of Trojan Horse. Will flies through every bit of weather Nimbus can hit him with, until Nimbus detects the probes energy and uses lightning to blast the missile apart, revealing David. David protects himself with a force field, but Will takes the full brunt of the lightning. Will then uses his power to supercharge David's cosmic rod, and using the supercharged rod and the info he gained from the probe, David is able to draw the cosmic converter belt to within visual range of himself and Will. Together, the two melt the belt, which causes Nimbus to lose his powers and be torn apart on the winds, though he reforms later. The cosmic rod is also damaged due to the overcharge and the feedback from the belt, and while David is a gifted scientist, he doesn't know how to repair it since hid dad's notes are all in code. David decides to retire for now, but thinks his dad would be happy knowing someone like Will is keeping the Starman legacy alive.

Issue 28:

- No major power feats, though Starman is able to use his shapeshifting powers to fool Lex Luthor into thinking that he's Superman.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And that's the Stern era.

It was actually a lot of fun going through all of that again. I've said it before, but Stern is really underrated as one of the better comic writers out there, and his run on this book is a good example of why. It's not groundbreaking by any means, but if you want an example of what a good, solid and reliable comic book series should be, this is a pretty good run to read. It honestly feels like the kind of thing producers for superhero television series should read for ideas, because it actually balances a lot of the drama of being a mid-tier superhero well without going into melodrama.

It really is interesting how natural the progression Will goes through as a hero, especially from the perspective of a guy who had no real interest in being a superhero, it was his younger sister that was the superhero fan. She wound up giving him pointers, designing his costume, and being insanely jealous every time he got to hang out with other superheroes.

It's also funny that despite him being primarily seen as a flying blaster, Will actually tended to fight as a flying brick for the most part, since he realized how damaging his energy powers could be. It's interesting that it actually took him until issue 11 of his own series to really figure out how to fire concentrated energy blasts, as before he could only radiate light and heat around him as an aura.

Stern does a great job of keeping the 'human' element of being a hero, and is big on having Starman do things other than simply fight supervillains. He fights forest fires, he fights building fires, he visits a hospital for kids who are sick or disabled to help lift their spirits, he takes time with post-fight clean ups, he attends the funerals of soldiers that died during a supervillain fight, he takes time to talk with people and try to help them with their problems. He gets angry and frustrated at times, but there's almost always someone to help ground him or remind him of what's important.

There's a real sense of growth for the character, so much so that by the time David Knight comes along, Will really does feel more like an experienced hero while David is the newbie.

Honestly, seeing David introduced here, how his relationship with his father failed at a point, how he desperately wanted to reconnect with him when it looked like Ted had died, it gave even David a lot of humanity, and made Robinson's decision to kill him off that much more callous, just so he could have his own snarky self-insert be the real hero.

So yeah, I wish DC would collect Roger Stern's run of Starman as a trade paperback. It's a fun read and a reminder of better times.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Infinity Inc.

Post by Jabroniville »

INFINITY, INC.:
-So it's hard to talk about the JSA without talking about their 1980s spinoff book, Infinity Inc., even though it ended up being kind of a footnote in comic history.

See, at the time, there was no book set in modern-time Earth-Two, where the JSA's adventures were. There had been a Huntress feature for a bit, and All-Star Squadron dealt with the Golden Age, but the current, aged JSA had no place. And then suddenly Roy & Dann Thomas create a band of "Teen Titans"-esque spinoff characters, almost completely from nothing. See, most of the JSA had never had children, at least that the fans had ever seen, so the Thomases had some retconning to do.

And so a band of kids pops in- Silver Scarab, the son of Hawkman & Hawkgirl; Fury, the super-strong daughter of Wonder Woman & Steve Trevor; Nuklon, the 7'6" mohawked godson of the Atom; Northwind, the godson of Hawkman (combining an old backstory issue of Hawkman with a newly-introduced character, thus giving the team a Black person- otherwise there wouldn't be any). They are shown meeting up as adults (some had known each other as kids) and abruptly decided to become super-heroes, and so they barge in in a JSA meeting and insist on being members. Thomas, being a Marvel-trained writer, has this immediately turn into a fight scene, and the JSA ultimately turns down the new kids. However, this aggravates the CURRENT "Second Generation" of JSA kids, as the Star-Spangled Kid, Power Girl & Huntress decide to give them a chance, and so they splinter off to help the new kids form "Infinity Inc.". And in the first arc we also meet Jade (GL-esque powers) & Obsidian (shadow powers, akin to Marvel's Darkforce users), who believe themselves to be the Green Lantern's children, and Brainwave Jr., telepathic & telekinetic son of one of the JSA's arch-enemies!

The first arc plays out around the Ultra-Humanite- everyone has to fight brainwashed JSA heroes (Superman, WW, Hawkman, Atom, etc.), and in the process Nuklon gains super-powers. Brainwave Jr. allies with the heroes, and his father dies boosting his powers- this defeats the Ultra-Humanite. Infinity Inc. is thus established, led by the Star-Spangled Kid, who sets them up as "heroes for hire" (itself a unique concept for DC, but not built on much).

Infinity Inc. Moves On:
-After the first ten issues, Huntress & Power Girl rejoin the JSA, having "established" this team. I only have every other issue or so, and it's funny because Brainwave Jr. & Northwind are almost never there. But a team dynamic of sorts appears- SSK is well-meaning but comes on a bit too strong (particularly with women- he's shown getting shot down after hitting on Donna Troy in a Crisis meeting). Hector "Scarab" Hall is jealous of everyone around him and hyper-argumentative. He & Fury are in love but annoy each other as well. Nuklon is ALSO in love with Fury, but is too shy and good-natured to do anything about it. Jade & Obsidian are constantly around each other (despite having just met themselves), Obsidian quite protective- he's also argumentative, particularly with Hector. Northwind is just... kinda there. An outsider but he doesn't really do the "Starfire" thing as far as I can see. Brainwave & Jade suddenly hook up in a later issue. A female Wildcat VERY slowly joins the team, introduced as a side character and teased having powers again and again before finally joining.

The book is first drawn by Jerry Ordway (the All-Star artist), then gives way to Don Newton, who was preparing to make this book his new home... but tragically died of a heart attack at 50. A newcomer with a lot of energy named Todd McFarlane joins the book at this point, making it his first regular gig. A few issues later, Thomas writes an editorial about this Calgarian kid with all this energy- "Todd McFarlane- Remember that name".

So the art is always good- detailed and more. The costumes are very "1980s" (especially poor Nuklon), but Jade's & Obsidian's are timeless. Newton & Todd ramp up the sexuality- this was the era of The New Teen Titans, with Nightwing & Starfire frequently shown nude in bed together, and so we get a "Nude Beach" issue (poor Nuklon is embarrassed to find Jade, Hector AND Fury are all not fans of swimsuits), then one where Brainwave & Jade admit to liking each other, and THEY take their clothes off and give close-ups of their mouths reacting with pleasure, and a shot of them embracing.

Todd introduces what looks like an early case of "Sketchpad Villains" in Helix, though only Mister Bones would have any kind of impact on DC. The others were a bit too weird- a wind-casting Native guy, a computer-hacking muppet-like dog, and a baby who can blow things up. 21 issues in, we see Beth "Dr. Midnight" Chapel and Rick "Hourman II" Tyler- NEW Legacy Heroes to join the team!

The Crisis Happens:
-The book is marred by the Crisis on Infinite Earths- many issues are just "Red Skies Crossovers" where everyone's like "What's with the red skies going on?" but mostly have to deal with random shenanigans- the storms nearly destroy Northwind's home (his teammates convince the Feitherians to not just die with their kingdom), and Midnight & Hourman have to do an impromptu team-up involving time-tossed dinosaurs, Civil War fighters and hillbilly modern-day cops. Fury's backstory has to be altered because of the Crisis (her mother is now a Golden Age heroine named Fury, making Lyta the SECOND "Fury"), though at first she remembers the Earth-Two world and her mother before Brainwave literally mindwipes her to save her the pain of the memories, and 15 issues later Fury's adoptive parents are Miss America and her husband. The Star-Spangled Kid now switches his name to "Skyman" and Mr. Bones is placed on the team as a "reforming villain" kind of thing, and Northwind "evolves" new magical powers and disappears.

Worse things happen when Hector is killed- a truly unlikable character in the series, his death is nonetheless mourned by the team. Lyta is pregnant with his child, and the team soon discovers that Hector "lives on" as the new Sandman (Garrett Sanford is retconned in as the 1970s version and killed off), and can reappear on Earth one hour a day. But then Skyman is killed when the villainous Harlequin convinces Solomon Grundy to kill him using Mr. Bones's cyanide touch. Bones is horrified and tries to leave, but the Infinitors induct him as a full member, forgiving him his part in it. The team vows to carry on in Skyman's memory.

HOWEVER, then the book dies. All in all, it lasts 53 issues- 1984-1988. Really not a bad run (especially by today's standards)- it stands as an "Earth-Two Teen Titans" of sorts, with Legacy Characters spun off into their own interesting book, full of intercharacter drama in the Marvel vein- people like Silver Scarab & Obsidian in particular really felt more like Marvel characters, carrying their emotions on their sleeves as they did. The characters left with almost no legacy at all, as most had disastrous turns in the 1990s (read below)- half the team was dead at one point, and most left comics entirely (Nuklon & Obsidian joined a failed JLA book; Dr. Midnight & Wildcat II were killed in an Eclipso book). The JSA series revitalized a couple of them, but ended up using more as villains- Black Reign featured a mind-controlled Brainwave as a member of a team that included Nuklon/Atom Smasher & Northwind.

The End Result:
* Infinity Inc. actually has a REALLY bad run following the end of the book- to the point of almost seeming mean-spirited. Nearly every member of the team has something horrible happen to them.

Star-Spangled Kid/Skyman: Killed by Solomon Grundy.
Power Girl: Her history becomes a mess and she becomes a kind of gag thanks to her breast-focused design until Geoff Johns makes her a pet character in the 2000s.
The Huntress: Dies in the Crisis and is erased from history forever.
Hector Hall: Dies in the series and becomes the new "Sandman" until being reborn in the 2000s as the new Doctor Fate. However, Geoff Johns tires of him and he's killed off and sent to The Dreaming.
Fury: Disappears into madness in Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, vanishing for years until finally being revived in JSA... only to immediately die with Hector.
Nuklon: Joins the failed JLA with Obsidian, but disappears in the '90s. Returns as Atom Smasher, given a long character arc on JSA, involving him turning to murderous vigilantism before coming back.
Northwind: Disappears for pretty much all time until he & the Feitherians pop up as non-speaking, birdlike minions of Black Adam's.
Brainwave Jr.: Spends most of the '90s going crazy thanks to his powers, Jade having left him ages ago. Never properly recovers. Last seen on JSA All-Stars being kinda sanctimonious and being led on by villains.
Jade: Actually becomes a recurring side character in '90s books like Green Lantern. Eventually dies for a while in the 2000s.
Obsidian: Joins the JLA and comes out of the closet, but that book is a failure. Becomes a full-fledged super-villain in the 2000s and even after reforming, never becomes more than a backgrounder.
Wildcat II: Disappears. Randomly killed by Eclipso as part of the "Shadow Warriors".
Dr. Midnight: Disappears. Randomly killed by Eclipso as part of the "Shadow Warriors".
Hourman II: Gets addicted to Miraclo in the comic, but returns to rejoin the team dressed as his father. Disappears for the 1990s.
Mr. Bones: Disappears for the '90s, but returns as the head of the DEO- a frequent thorn in the JSA's side.

* Lex Luthor even buys the name "Infinity Inc." for use as a new team of heroes whose powers he bankrolled himself.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidney369 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:37 am One interesting thing about Dr. Occult is that the first part of the Koth storyline, which is the one he gained a superhero-like costume, wasn't published in a DC comic. It was in Comics Magazine #1 in 1936, published by the company that would become Centaur. He was renamed Dr. Mystic, but it was still done by Siegel and Shuster and the story continued in More Fun.

There was an obscure pre-Golden Age magical hero named Nadir, Man of Magic https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Nadir_(Earth-Two) How obscure was he? Roy Thomas never used him, or even mentioned him in his list of Golden Age National and Quality characters.
Oh yeah, if ROY missed out on them, then they might as well have not existed! This guy tried to make characters out of dudes with 1-2 appearances!
Also, if you'd like, I can send you info on all the Quality heroes, even the really obscure ones, if you'd like.
Yeah, that would work! Though I work so far ahead I'm done most of them already, lol. I've also been flipping through Cosmic Teams (which is apparently still around! Still active on Facebook!), which is how I learned of a lot of these obscure guys in the first place.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'll have plenty to comment on with Infinity Inc., but I just want to make one last comment on the Stern era of Starman.

I love how some of the drama was just normal human stuff. Unlike a lot of modern writers Stern "knows how to human" very well. Like, there's a lot of drama about how Will's father walked out on them when he was young and the struggles their mom had raising two kids. When Will's father shows up again (winding up in the hospital because he pushed the kid out of the way of an oncoming truck), there's no supervillain shenanigans, no reveal that his father was secretly an alien, it was just an old man admitting that he felt trapped by married life, ran away, and spent pretty much every day of his life being ashamed of his decision, too ashamed to return.

Then later, when Will meets the man who hit his dad, we find out the guy was just a normal truck driver and that he wasn't really at fault for what happened. The kid had run out into the street while the guy was checking his mirrors, there was no way to stop a truck that big, and Will's dad just happened to be at the right place at the right time. But the truck driver suffered a kind of PTSD from having accidentally killed someone, his work is suffering, he's got problems at home, and he's just consumed by self loathing. And Will just talks with the guy, explaining what it's like to grow up without a dad, and helps the guy reconcile with his family, deciding to get therapy for his issues and to do whatever he needs to do to get better.

It's some remarkably human moments, with a lot of heart to it without being preachy. Some very quiet issues without a lot of supervillain stuff and some conversation that never feels like Bendis-era talking heads.

And then you'd get issues where Starman is a hero, but there's no supervillains. He just spends an entire issue fighting a forest fire, and it's nice to see a hero fighting natural disasters again.

I know I'm a broken record about this, but it really was a very well rounded, good superhero book.

Jabroniville

Brainwave Jr.

Post by Jabroniville »

BRAINWAVE, JR. (Henry King, Junior)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Jerry Ordway
First Appearance: All-Star Squadron #25 (Sept. 1983)
Role: Failed New Character, Telepath
Group Affiliations: Infinity, Inc., Black Adam's Army
PL 9 (131)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (History) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Teamwork

Powers:
"Inherited & Absorbed Telepathic Powers"
Mind Control 9 (Feats: Mental Link, Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (47) -- [55]
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Blast" Blast 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (28)
  • Dynamic AE: Telekinesis 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 9 Linked to Communication (Mental) 2 (Feats: Dynamic) (27)
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion (Visuals & Hearing) 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (28)
"Telelocation" Senses 6 (Mental Detection- Ranged 5) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mind Control +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Mental Blast -- (+9 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Telepathy -- (+9 Mind-Reading, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Jade)
Responsibility (Evil Father)- Henry's father is the original Brainwave, a villain of the JSA.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 61 / Defenses: 11 (131)

-The least-successful Infinitor next to Northwind was Brainwave Junior. It may've had something to do with the name. Or that costume. Or the fact that only Roy Thomas, his creator, was knowledgable of the early Injustice Society & other JSA villains, so the poor bugger had little chance. Telepathic abilities are also problematic in the DCU, because it's such a rare power-set that it ends up being under-utilized. If he was a Marvel character, he'd probably be a top-tier X-Man or Avenger. But in DC? He's just some punk. It says something when I have like 20 Infinity Inc comics (out of 53), and Henry only appears in a smattering of them, usually disappearing somewhere or something like that. I think Thomas just had a hard time fitting him into the book, despite the cool "son of a villain, who wants to be a hero" concept.

-Henry King, Jr. is actually the son of the Golden Age villain The Brain Wave... and MERRY PEMBERTON, the adopted kid sister of the Star-Spangled Kid! This is insane and I dunno WHY Thomas went with that, but apparently the creepy Big Head Villain guy impressed someone who was a pre-teen while he was already an old bald dude. Hank Jr. inherits his father's powers, and trails the Infinity Inc. kids when their book debuts. He wins the trust of the heroes, despite his name, and allies with them against the Ultra-Humanite, who uses many JSA heroes against them via mind control. Ultimately, the original Brain Wave saves his son- both telepaths attack the Ultra-Humanite, but when Hank Jr. is injured, Brain Wave lets his attention falter and he takes a fatal blow. In his last moments, he "gifts" his son with extra power, then dies- Henry Jr. then obliterates the Humanite's mental defenses ("NO! You're the same... but different!").

-Following this, Hank grows a bit more unhinged- he enters into a relationship with Jade, but it doesn't last and he completely vanishes after Infinity Inc. ends. Of the group, he is one of the most ignored- he vanishes for the entire 1990s except for a single arc in Extreme Justice of all places... where he's been twisted to evil and is the leader of the new Legion of Doom! He ended up squaring off with Maxima, Extreme Justice's own telepath, and they both summoned "Psionic Warriors" to fight by proxy on the mental plane. Henry appeared to be bolstered by his father's ghost, and overpowered Maxima at first, but she had more stamina and discipline, eventually waiting him out. The "ghost" was soon revealed to be an exprsesion of Henry's guilt with combining his father's powers to his own. He's later found straightjacketed in a hospital funded by Alan Scott- he makes Alan & Kyle Rayner both hallucinate- Obsidian attempts to kill him, believing him responsible for Jade's disappearance- he is stopped by the heroes. Hank is only in random arcs after that (see below).

-Brainwave is pretty good, but still an under-pointed PL 9. He's VERY vulnerable to physical attacks compared to the rest of his team (who possess either high Toughness Saves or Insubstantial), but his reliance on Will-Save-based effects make him arguably the most dangerous member of the team. Mental Powers are so rare in DC (after the '60s anyways) that even an Immunity to the stuff is likely cheaper than it'd be for a Marvel character (I charge DC characters 10 points, Marvel guys 20 points).

BRAINWAVE, JR. (Henry King, Junior)- Post-2000s
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Jerry Ordway
First Appearance: All-Star Squadron #25 (Sept. 1983)
Role: Failed New Character, Telepath
Group Affiliations: Infinity, Inc., Black Adam's Army
PL 13 (166)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (History) 3 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+4)
Vehicles 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Teamwork

Powers:
"Inherited & Absorbed Telepathic Powers"
Mind Control 13 (Feats: Mental Link, Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Sustained +2) (Flaws: Touch Range -2) (80) -- [90]
  • Dynamic AE: "Mental Blast" Blast 13 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Perception-Ranged) (40)
  • Dynamic AE: Telekinesis 9 (Feats: Dynamic) (19)
  • Dynamic AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 12 Linked to Communication (Mental) 2 (Feats: Dynamic) (33)
  • Dynamic AE: Illusion (Visuals & Hearing) 11 (Feats: Dynamic) (28)
  • Dynamic AE: "Agonizing Pain" Affliction 13 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Sustained +2, Area- 60ft. Burst) (53)
"Telelocation" Senses 6 (Mental Detection- Ranged 5) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mind Control/Pain +13 Area (+13 Affliction, DC 23)
Mental Blast -- (+13 Perception-Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Telepathy -- (+13 Mind-Reading, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Evil Father)- Henry's father is the original Brainwave, a villain of the JSA.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 96 / Defenses: 11 (166)

-Here's the "modern" Brainwave, as he appeared in the Black Reign storyline in JSA. The guy was so freakin' powerful he was able to turn Billy Batson back to "young boy" form by commanding him mentally to call the Wizard's name, and he put down the ENTIRE JUSTICE SOCIETY by himself, just by activating their "pain centres" at close range. He was so strong telepathically that the JSA had to call in The Atom to shut him down, attacking the Mr. Mind caterpillar that was eating parts of his brain. It's kinda sad that the guy who wanted to fix his father's name ended up a loose-cannon possible crazy-pants like that, even if he WAS being controlled by someone else. In a later bit, he helps save Sand from The Dreaming.

-And AGAIN he was tied to super-villainy, as he reappears in JSA All-Stars, a total mess with dreadlocks, caring for some super-powerful god-powered children in a Latin American Banana Republic. He acts all high and mighty with the All-Stars when they confront him over working with the dictator (Atom Smasher even points out "I liked you a lot better back in the day, man"), saying he's their only chance for decent lives... but they transform into the powerful Gods of their country and lay waste to Los Angeles, killing the dictator in the process. Thousands of people (including our heroes) all at once have to give up things very important to them to turn them back and avert disaster.

-Just a more powerful version of the last guy, but with no extra Advantages or anything cool like that, since he didn't really do ANYTHING from the time Infinity Inc. shut down till Black Reign, just showing up to harrass Jade a couple times. At PL 13, he can throw down mental effects powerful enough to drop guys like the Justice Society, which is a bit problematic in M&M (I mean, these guys should be expected to have some decent Will Saves, and yet Brainwave one-shotted them ALL, because Mind Control Always Works in comics).
Ken

Post by Ken »

The whole Henry King Sr. and Merry Pemberton always struck me as mind-rapey. Like Brain-Wave used his mind powers to force Merry to marry and pro-create with him.

Arcae

Post by Arcae »

Hmm, I actually feel like you could do some neat things with him trying to clear his name and deal with his mental issues in a Justice Society book, maybe one that explore how Power Girl feels about most of her friends being screwed over like that. Maybe you could even handle the overpowered nature of his abilities by having him subconsiously limit them out of guilt. And ditch the 'junior' part of his name because that's just dorky.

Or maybe I'm just saying that because I'm honestly shocked to see he never died.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Ken wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:13 pm The whole Henry King Sr. and Merry Pemberton always struck me as mind-rapey. Like Brain-Wave used his mind powers to force Merry to marry and pro-create with him.
That's pretty much always been my personal theroy.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!