Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
brothersale

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Spectre! Quality Comics- Uncle Sam! The Phantom Lady!)

Post by brothersale »

1 Watchmen
2 Iron Man

as for the third i'm not that bothered about the other choices. But if i could offer a suggestion for a future selection - more DC comic villians.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

1) DOA
2) Iron Man
3) Watchmen or 2D
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

1 - Iron Man (Just want to see the bastard done, since its the last big Marvel set)
2- Fire Emblem (Want to see how they stack up, mostly to see if they'd survive any of the situations I've thought up)
3 - Watchmen (Dr. Manhattan is probably gonna be so strong that it pisses me off, but I need to see it)
Jabroniville

The Black Condor (John Trujillo)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE BLACK CONDOR III (John Trujillo)
Created By:
Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray & Daniel Acuña
First Appearance: Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters #3 (Nov. 2006)
Role: Flying Hero
Group Affiliations: The Freedom Fighters, Primal Force

-The 2006-ear Black Condor is a Native-looking Arizonian given powers from Tolocl- a Mayan Spider Goddess- he's a serious sort, uncomfortable interacting with other people.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:32 am It’s time for another hot, pleasing poll! I wanna gauge interest in what follows the JSA/JLA set.
1. Fire Emblem
2. Dead or Alive
3. 2D Fighting Games
Ken

Re: The Golden Age Black Condor

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:31 pm THE BLACK CONDOR I (Richard Grey, Jr., aka Tom Wright)
Created By:
Will Eisner & Lou Fine
First Appearance: Crack Comics #1

-Black Condor was initially ... a boy raised in Mongolia by super-intelligent... Condors?!! No, really, condors raised him, and then TAUGHT HIM HOW TO FLY. He was later taught by a mountain hermit to speak and become civilized.
"Crack" Was it the title of the magazine where the story was published? Or what Mr. Eisner and Mr. Fine were smoking?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Uncle Sam! The Phantom Lady! Black Condor!)

Post by Ken »

Iron Man
Watchmen
Archie

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Spam

Post by Spam »

My vote would be Watchmen, then DOA.

But for my daughter's sake, I'll vote for Fire Emblem and Archie.
Jabroniville

Magno

Post by Jabroniville »

MAGNO, THE MAGNETIC MAN
Created By:
Paul Gustavson
First Appearance: Smash Comics #13 (Aug. 1940)
Role: Forgotten Golden Age Hero
Group Affiliations: The Freedom Fighters, The All-Star Squadron
PL 6 (65)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Electrical Worker) 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Magnetic Powers"
"Shock Punch" Strength-Damage +3 [3]
"Magnetic Power" Move Object 6 (Flaws: Limited to Ferrous Materials) (6) -- [7]
  • AE: Deflect 10 (Flaws: Limited to Physical Projectiles) (5)
Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Shock Punch +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- Magno requires electrical outlets or wires somewhere to jumpstart his powers if he runs out of juice.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 10 (65)

-For every good All-Star Squadron member with a legacy, there's a guy like Magno. Though I will say, his costume is almost hilariously generic- like in those cheap RPGs where they pay artists to draw a "Generic Superhero", it's always a guy like Magno- primary colors, trunks, a cape, and some generic logo or letter on the chest. Magno was a character of almost no note from Quality Comics who lasted a mere nine issues- he never even appears on the covers between 1940-1941 (Bozo the Robot, however, does), at which point the feature was cancelled. He has only showed up in a pair of All-Star Squadron issues outside of that.

-Magno was a line man (ie. he works on power lines) who got shocked by DC electricity, but was revived with AC electricity- this naturally gave him super-powers. He got chosen as a sacrificial lamb by Roy Thomas for Pearl Harbor- the DC version. He joined the Freedom Fighters for the initial attack, but was killed. Most of the others came back in some form (Sam reformed the Freedom Fighters with other Quality Comics characters), but not Magno. Just think- THE INVISIBLE HOOD AND RED TORPEDO get to survive, but poor Magno was still left at the bottom of a Hawaiian shoreline somewhere. Now THAT's a character with a good amount of suck.

-No way is this guy making PL 8 or anything. He's just a minor-league rookie hero with a couple minor powers (though I'm fairly certain he's the first magnetically-powered character in comics). A second version appeared on The Crusaders in the 2006 Freedom Fighters series.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat May 07, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Magnos

Post by Ken »

Paul Gustavson was a work horse, I'll give him that.
Last edited by Ken on Sat May 07, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I think Roy Thomas killed off the original Invisible Hood, Magno, Neon, and Red Torpedo, though Neon got brought back like thirty years later for a one-issue appearance in a revived Freedom Fighters mini. Of course they all got legacies (though the Invisible Hood's got killed in his first adventure!).
Jabroniville

The Red Bee

Post by Jabroniville »

THE RED BEE (Rick Raleigh)
Created By:
Toni Blum & Charles Nicholas
First Appearance: Hit Comics #1 (July 1940)
Role: Joke Hero, Possibly the Silliest Golden Age Hero Ever
Group Affiliations: The Freedom Fighters, The All-Star Squadron
PL 6 (79)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+7)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 7 (+8)
Perception 3 (+4)
Insight 3 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Equipment 5 ("Stinger Gun"- +4 Damage- Non-Fatal, Vehicles), Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 4, Minion 2 (Swarm of Bees), Set-Up

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Stinger Gun +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Reputation (Joke Hero)- The Red Bee is not taken seriously by many. This bothers his ghost.
Relationship (Michael the Bee)- Rick's favourite bee is named Michael, and lives in his belt buckle. And yet, he can't figure out Complication #1.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (79)

SWARM OF BEES
PL 4 (30), Minion Rank 2
STRENGTH
-- STAMINA -4 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Intimidation 8 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Made of Bees"
Senses 4 (Scent, Ultra-Vision, Radius Sight 2) [4]
Flight 2 (8 mph) [4]
Elongation 1 [1]

"Difficult to Destroy"
"Fluid" Insubstantial 1 (Feats: Innate, Selective) [7]
Immunity 30 (Bludgeoning, Slashing Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [15]

"Bee Blasts"
"Stinger Aura" Aura 2 (Feats: Dynamic) Linked to Affliction Aura 2 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative) (19) -- [23]
  • Dynamic AE: "Bee Stings" Damage 3 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Multiattack) Linked to Affliction 2 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Paralyzed) (Extras: Multiattack, Cumulative) (10)
  • Dynamic AE: "Bee Storm" Damage 3 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) Linked to Affliction 2 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area, Cumulative) (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Bee Stings +2 (+4 Damage & +2 R.Affliction, DC 19-12)
Bee Areas +3 Area (+3 Damage & +2 Affliction, DC 13-12)
Bee Aura +2 (+2 Damage & Affliction, DC 17-12)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness -5, Fortitude -4, Will --

Complications:
Weakness- Being bugs, the swarms are easily dispersed by wind, fog, dust, fire, smoke and other things. Obviously, insecticides and freezing will outright kill them.

Total: Abilities: -34 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 6 (30)

-Possibly the goofiest character of the entire Golden Age, The Red Bee was a Quality Comics character. Seriously- he had a bunch of TRAINED BEES as sidekicks, and he wore pink & red stripes on his costume! He named his favourite bee MICHAEL and it lives inside Rick's belt buckle! Despite this, he lives on for TWENTY-FOUR ISSUES, eventually becoming forgotten as an unsuccessful nothing. He was so goofy that even ROY THOMAS didn't want to use him much, swiftly killing him off in All-Star Squadron during an attack by Baron Blitzkrieg in which he saved some allies. He appears as a ghost in Robinson's Starman, along with some other dead guys, discussing the appeal of super-heroics. Bee appeared somewhat put-out that he was considered a bit of a joke (I would suggest that his codename, concept and costume could have been more thought-out if he'd wanted to be taken seriously, but that's just me). Shockingly, even HE gets a successor in the 2000s Freedom Fighters series.

-Your standard agile hero with a fancy gun, and his hardest stat-point was the trained bee sidekicks. Their stings aren't horrifyingly deadly, but with the Multiattack, it's bad for thugs to get involved. And they're the ultimate distraction.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 09, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:32 am It’s time for another hot, pleasing poll! I wanna gauge interest in what follows the JSA/JLA set.

Iron Man Builds: the last of the big Marvel sets! Only took me six years!

Watchmen: This actually did well on a poll that was literally from 2017, and I never got around to it, lol.

Fire Emblem: I even had this planned around the Shinig Force set! Just lost track of doing it.

Dead or Alive: One of the last big fighting game franchises to do.

Archie Comics: It’s actually been a bit since I did these!

2D Fighting Games: I have a bunch completed and ready to post, and others yet to stat. Outlaws of the Lost Dynasty, Savage Reign, Ultra Vortek, and even Tongue of the Fatman!
Iron Man tops my list, followed by the Archies and Watchmen. No interest in the others, honestly.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Uncle Sam! Phantom Lady! Black Condor! The Red Bee!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Red Bee also appeared in "Limbo" (where all the old and forgotten characters end up, because meta) towards the end of Grant Morrison's Animal Man run, if I recall correctly. Poor guy can't catch a break, can he? He's so goofy that it's almost endearing.
M4C8

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Uncle Sam! Phantom Lady! Black Condor! The Red Bee!)

Post by M4C8 »

1) Iron Man
2) Watchmen
3) Dead or Alive
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'