Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ian Turner

Re: The Android Red Torpedo

Post by Ian Turner »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:55 am THE RED TORPEDO II
Created By:
Kevin VanHook & José Luis Lopez Guardia
First Appearance: Red Tornado #1 (Nov. 2009)
Role: Female Android

-A new, female Red Torpedo appeared in a 2009 Red Tornado series, shortly before DC rebooted itself. She was a creation of T.O. Morrow WAY back in the day, during the Soviet Union's collapse, but rebelled against his control and was deactivated. He hid her in a sunken wreck at Pearl Harbor as a sick joke- she sent out a beacon that drew in her "siblings"- Red Tornado, Red Volcano & Red Inferno. She ends up being a much more lethal type of vigilante, contrasting the Tornado.
That whole story arc made me want to see a 'Red Tomorro' arc in which T.O. Morrow unleashed an entire team of his androids with similar goofy naming conventions. Red Scirroco makes dust storms. Red Stiletto throws red knives at bullet-speed. Red Crescendo has a sonic attack. Red Dynamo has super-strength and speed. Red Vertigo has powers like Count Vertigo. Red Commando is a stealthy killer. Etc. Just every slice of cheese on this sammich!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ian Turner wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:10 pm
Created By:

-A new, female Red Torpedo appeared in a 2009 Red Tornado series, shortly before DC rebooted itself. She was a creation of T.O. Morrow WAY back in the day, during the Soviet Union's collapse, but rebelled against his control and was deactivated. He hid her in a sunken wreck at Pearl Harbor as a sick joke- she sent out a beacon that drew in her "siblings"- Red Tornado, Red Volcano & Red Inferno. She ends up being a much more lethal type of vigilante, contrasting the Tornado.
That whole story arc made me want to see a 'Red Tomorro' arc in which T.O. Morrow unleashed an entire team of his androids with similar goofy naming conventions. Red Scirroco makes dust storms. Red Stiletto throws red knives at bullet-speed. Red Crescendo has a sonic attack. Red Dynamo has super-strength and speed. Red Vertigo has powers like Count Vertigo. Red Commando is a stealthy killer. Etc. Just every slice of cheese on this sammich!
They did a variant of that on YJs first season if i recall they dealt with 4 reds earth water fire and air of course
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ian Turner wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:10 pm
Created By:

And then he does something to split Bizarro into two, creating Red Bizarro and ... well, the other one spends the whole storyline weeping at this situation.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

The Golden Age Doll Man

Post by Jabroniville »

JESUS- he looks so goofy but that would be nasty as hell. Also, LOL at him being nearly murdered via a bathtub.

DOLL MAN I (Darrel Dane)
Created By:
Will Eisner
First Appearance: Feature Comics #27 (Dec. 1939)
Role: The Original Shrinking Hero
Group Affiliations: The Freedom Fighters, The All-Star Squadron
PL 9 (152)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Expertise (History) 1 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+5, +17 Size)
Technology 3 (+8)
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Close Attack 2, Equipment 2 (Dollplane- Doll-Sized Airplane), Improved Critical (Unarmed, Improvised Weapons) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improvised Weapon, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Redirect, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Doll Size"
Shrinking 12 (+6 Dodge/Parry, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation) (Extras: Normal Strength) (Quirks: Full Power Only -1) [35]
"Tiny Sized Fighting" Enhanced Advantages 2: Close Attack 2 (Flaws: Limited to Smaller Sizes) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Tiny Sized +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
"Normal Size" Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7
"Doll Size" Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Martha Roberts)- The two are engaged to be married- she knows his secret identity, and eventually becomes his sidekick, Doll Girl.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 9 (152)

---

DOLL MAN I (Darrel Dane)- 1976 version
Created By:
Will Eisner
Role: The Original Shrinking Hero
PL 9 (166)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Expertise (History) 1 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+5, +17 Size)
Technology 3 (+8)
Vehicles 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Close Attack 2, Equipment 2 (Dollplane- Doll-Sized Airplane), Improved Critical (Unarmed, Improvised Weapons) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improvised Weapon, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Redirect, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Doll Size"
Shrinking 12 (+6 Dodge/Parry, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation) (Extras: Normal Strength) (Quirks: Full Power Only -1) [35]
"Tiny Sized Fighting" Enhanced Advantages 2: Close Attack 2 (Flaws: Limited to Smaller Sizes) [1]

"Telekinesis"
Move Object 7 (14) -- [15]
  • AE: Psychic Blast 7 (14)
Offense:
Tiny Sized +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
TK Blast +8 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
"Normal Size" Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7
"Doll Size" Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Martha Roberts)- The two are engaged to be married- she knows his secret identity, and eventually becomes his sidekick, Doll Girl.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 9 (166)

-Doll Man, "The World's Mightiest Mite", actually didn't have such a lame name back in the day- "Doll" was just a generic term for any toy that looked like a person. Nowadays, it's "Action Figure" for anything not designed like a fashion doll (curiously, Bad Sitcoms still frequently have female characters calling G.I. Joe figures "Dolls", which annoys the males). Nowadays, the name is basically completely unusable because it's associated purely with toys for little girls.

-Perhaps surprisingly, Doll Man was actually very successful, having a fourteen-year run back in the Golden Age, and being one of the few characters from that era to end up with his own comic book series named for him. And I mean... for decades, HE was comics' most iconic Shrinking Hero! Darrel Dane is a chemist who invented a formula that allowed him to shrink to six inches tall, but retain his natural strength. With a solid visual gimmick, especially on his covers (his tiny perspective shows common thugs as being super-dangerous giants; another recurring one made him one of the few male comic book characters to suffer from bondage pics on frequent covers). A few years in, his fiancee Martha would join him as "Doll Girl", her wish to gain the same powers "somehow" coming true according to Wikipedia. He also gains an animal helper in Elmo the Wonder Dog- a Great Dane who serves as "steed", and a model airplane called the "Dollplane". His solo book was cancelled in 1953, and he wasn't seen for twenty years- DC would later copy him (short stature, blue & red costume) for Ray Palmer, the new Atom.

-DC later got the rights to the Quality Comics characters, putting Doll Man on their new "Freedom Fighters" squad. He wasn't really an important character, though- Ray Palmer having all of his powers and more by this point (effectively being redundant now), plus Doll Man being on the lowest-tier team. Doll Man eventually disappeared from the team entirely, not being replaced on the updated series, and being mentioned in passing as having been confined to a mental institution! He later shows up leading a subversive army of doll-sized soldiers, revealing that spending years all compressed has damaged his brain.

-A one-shot Titans comic had a "Doll Man" and "Doll Girl" show up to a Titans West recruiting party with no explanation, just as a background gag. Lester Colt was the true Doll Man II in the 2006 series- a political leader and military guy who cold-bloodedly kills criminals. The Nu52 gave us Dane Maxwell, the new Phantom Lady's permanently-shrunken partner in heroics.

-Doll Man's a capable PL 7 melee fighter, but packs PL 9 defenses, owing to his natural toughness and tiny body making him REALLY hard to hit. Pricey too, given the cost for Normal Strength Shrinking- one of his specialties was to hit guys with small objects, using the strength of a full-grown man. He's had a few animal sidekicks (a big Great Dane, an Eagle during World War II), and also gets around in a tiny model airplane that he can really fly. In the 1970s he developed the psionic power of Telekinesis, using it as a Blast or standard Move Object.
Davies

Re: The Golden Age Doll Man

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:38 pm -Doll Man, "The World's Mightiest Mite", actually didn't have such a lame name back in the day- "Doll" was just a generic term for any toy that looked like a person. Nowadays, it's "Action Figure" for anything not designed like a fashion doll (curiously, Bad Sitcoms still frequently have female characters calling G.I. Joe figures "Dolls", which annoys the males). Nowadays, the name is basically completely unusable because it's associated purely with toys for little girls.
Though nobody apparently told that to Full Moon Features.

Before you ask, the film has nothing to do with the character.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
EternalPhoenix

Re: The Golden Age Doll Man

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Davies wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:10 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:38 pm -Doll Man, "The World's Mightiest Mite", actually didn't have such a lame name back in the day- "Doll" was just a generic term for any toy that looked like a person. Nowadays, it's "Action Figure" for anything not designed like a fashion doll (curiously, Bad Sitcoms still frequently have female characters calling G.I. Joe figures "Dolls", which annoys the males). Nowadays, the name is basically completely unusable because it's associated purely with toys for little girls.
Though nobody apparently told that to Full Moon Features.

Before you ask, the film has nothing to do with the character.
That tagline. "Thirteen inches...with an attitude" I am twelve years old because :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Phantom Lady! Red Torpedo! The Clock! Doll Man!)

Post by greycrusader »

Several Quality heroes developed other powers during their DC revivals, before being dropped and replaced with legacies altogether. To an extent, this may be because NONE of them are copyrighted anymore. Technically speaking, any publisher could do stories about Uncle Sam, Phantom Lady, the Ray, etc., though they would have to be very careful about doing so-DC has trademarks to their superhero names (well, Uncle Sam is public domain period), so those couldn't be used on covers or in chapter headings inside the books. And ONLY the characters as they appeared in the Golden Age material is available-nothing that DC introduced over the years. So you couldn't do a team called the Freedom Fighters.

(Also, DC/Time-Warner has infinitely more money than any indie publisher, and have been sue-happy in the past, so...)

Likewise, the non-Marvel Family Fawcett heroes and villains are PD, and the Charlton heroes are...well, that's complicated. The pre-Ditko era Captain Atom and both versions of Blue Beetle are definitely public domain; the Human Thunderbolt belongs to his creator's Chester Morissi's estate, though frankly he's a thinly-veiled swipe of Amazing-Man; the Ditko Captain Atom and Blue Beetle seem to belong entirely to DC; Nightshade is questionable, as it doesn't appear the character was ever properly copyrighted; Judomaster, Son of Vulcan, and Peacemaker seem to be DC's properties; the other, really obscure Charlton characters are mostly PD; their last notable creation, E-Man (and his supporting cast) are held by Joe Staton.

All my best.
Sidney369

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Phantom Lady! Red Bee! Miss America! Red Torpedo! The Clock!)

Post by Sidney369 »

greycrusader wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:58 pm The Clock was actually used as the villain in Dynamite's first Masks series, which came out a decade or so ago (I figure the spoiler alert requirement has elapsed). That's where that Alex Ross image came from, with the Clock standing over the unconscious bodies of The Black Terror, the Shadow, the Black Bat, and a Zorro successor. The Clock also apparently used a gimmicked up cane later in his comics career.

All my best!
Brian O'Brien was the president in Malibu Comics' Protectors series. Since it featured characters based on those published in Centaur comics in the 30s and 40s, it made sense. And since Marvel bought Malibu, they own the rights to that version (he was name-checked in the appendix for alternate Earths in the recent OHotMU series). Also, Image used him, along with Captain Triumph, the Spider, and Red Torpedo, in an issue of their Next Issue Project.
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:02 pmHey, look, it’s a two-fisted detective! Haven’t seen one of THOSE before! In all seriousness, Midnight is a blatant Spirit rip-off, designed to replace that strip while Will Eisner was off to war (see, Quality published The Spirit comics, but didn’t own them- Eisner did).
Midnight was created before either Eisner joined the army or Quality started reprinting the Spirit. Quality's publisher, Busy Arnold, saw how popular the Spirit was and tasked Jack Cole with created a knock-off. Cole was friends with Eisner and went to him to get his opinion. Eisner wasn't happy with the situation, but understood the position Cole was in. In the hands of a lesser creator, Midnight would have been a cheap rip-off (like the Mouthpiece was), but Cole took the feature in a different direction and made it unique. If anyone made Midnight a rip-off of the Spirit, it was Roy Thomas in the pages of All-Star Squadron.
Ian Turner wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:10 pm Red Dynamo has super-strength and speed.
I think it would make more sense if they had electricity powers.
greycrusader wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:20 pm Several Quality heroes developed other powers during their DC revivals, before being dropped and replaced with legacies altogether. To an extent, this may be because NONE of them are copyrighted anymore. Technically speaking, any publisher could do stories about Uncle Sam, Phantom Lady, the Ray, etc., though they would have to be very careful about doing so-DC has trademarks to their superhero names (well, Uncle Sam is public domain period), so those couldn't be used on covers or in chapter headings inside the books. And ONLY the characters as they appeared in the Golden Age material is available-nothing that DC introduced over the years. So you couldn't do a team called the Freedom Fighters.
I'm pretty sure DC fully owns the rights to the character Plastic Man, given how they revived the title in the 60s when the company that published the alien robot version of Captain Marvel used the name for one of his enemies. I could be wrong, though. Copyrights and trademarks can be tricky. I have to assume Phantom Lady's name is also owned given that DC sent Bill Black a "cease and desist" on his usage of her.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Doll Girl

Post by Jabroniville »

DOLL GIRL (Martha Roberts)
Created By:
Will Eisner
Role: Hero's Girlfriend

-Doll Girl was initially just Doll Man's fiancee, and had to be rescued by him in Doll Man's debut appearance. An incredible twelve years later, she made a wish to gain the same powers as he, at the same time as Doll Man himself made the same wish, and somehow this created a reaction that let it happen! This is notably years after Mary Marvel debuted, but a ways before Supergirl did.
Jabroniville

Doll Man (Lester Colt)

Post by Jabroniville »

DOLL MAN II (Lester Colt)
Created By:
Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray
First Appearance: Crisis Aftermath- The Battle for Blüdhaven #1 (June 2006)
Role: Shrinking Guy

-The Doll Man in the gritty 2000s Freedom Fighters series is a "special operator" working for the U.S. government's group S.H.A.D.E., holding many degrees. He is an "ends justifies the means" type who murders criminals (including one drug dealer in front of the man's own son at the boy's birthday party). He later becomes permanently shrunk at six inches tall, causing issues with his girlfriend, Emma. He is eventually returned to normal size (after briefly being fused into a single mass along with other shrunken people).
Ken

Re: Doll Girl

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:12 am DOLL GIRL (Martha Roberts)
Created By:
Will Eisner
Role: Hero's Girlfriend

-Doll Girl was initially just Doll Man's fiancee, and had to be rescued by him in Doll Man's debut appearance. An incredible twelve years later, she made a wish to gain the same powers as he, at the same time as Doll Man himself made the same wish, and somehow this created a reaction that let it happen! This is notably years after Mary Marvel debuted, but a ways before Supergirl did.
The double wish story actually happened in 1944 (Feature Comics #77), and Martha became "Midge". This was before Martha knew Darrell was Doll Man, and she, as always didn't recognise Doll Man as Darrell. Curiously, Doll Man didn't recognise Midge as Martha either. It may have been that Midge was wearing an orange colored, translucent top (like Firebrand I but orange.) They didn't draw in the interesting bits, but still. She never became Midge again.

By the time Martha became Doll Girl in 1951 (Doll Man #37), she knew Darrell's secret identity, and Darrell recognised Doll Girl immediately. No mention was made of her one other time shrinking several years earlier. This time it seemed that she just kind of developed the same kind of will power/mind over matter shrinking powers as her fiancé. Maybe he passed the powers as some kind of weird VD.

Martha becoming Doll Girl was similar to Shiera Sanders becoming Hawkgirl and Susan Kent becoming Bulletgirl (both in 1941). It just took a decade and one false start.

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Jester

Post by Jabroniville »

THE JESTER (Chuck Lane)
Created By:
Paul Gustavson
First Appearance: Smash Comics #22 (May 1941)
Role: Forgotten Golden Age Hero
PL 7 (94)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Police Officer) 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefit (Quick Change), Equipment 2 (Policeman's Pistol), Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack, Startle, Takedown

Offense:
Gun +5 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)- Chuck Lane did not feel he was doing enough as a police officer to stem the tide of crime, and so he became a cruelly-frightening vigilante instead.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (94)

-The Jester is probably one of the weirdest but most interesting forgotten Golden Age designs. Essentially a Quality Comics version of a heroic Joker, he was a cop who also fought crime on the side in a jester costume after discovering he came from a lineage of court jesters. No, really. He's also yet another guy I dismissed as an "obvious failure" who actually had a HUGE run, albeit as a side-act in Smash Comics- never a cover boy. He managed over SIXTY appearances, and lasted from 1941-1949! However, like most of the Quality characters, he vanished after DC bought the rights, and unlike the top names, he wasn't chosen for the Freedom Fighters book, and so he's even more obscure than the rest of them.

-He showed up in The All-Star Squadron a couple times, and is most well-known for the "WTF? Who's THAT guy?" reaction readers would give upon seeing him in giant action shots of the team- I remember readers writing in and essentially having that reaction. Aaaaaaand then the Palmiotti Freedom Fighters series featured an aged Jester being part of an anti-government group called the Arcadians, which his family belonged to. They kidnapped the Vice President of the U.S. and made the Freedom Fighters do a Macguffin Hunt for artifacts in order to rescue him- when S.H.A.D.E. agents were lured in, the Jester, hooked up to medical equipment, engaged in a suicide attack and killed many agents, along with himself. I feel like in the end, the Jester could've been an entertaining enough good guy, so it's a bit too bad DC completely ignored him.

-The Jester is a low-end super-hero (he was a random casualty, after all), only makes PL 6 unless he uses his gun, making him ironically a more powerful cop than super-hero. His police training gives him a pretty good handful of skills, and it's stated that his specialty is in creeping out criminals with his jingling bells and eerie laugh, and his reputation as a 'weird' super-hero who did crazy stuff to bad guys. He's actually kind of a Proto-Slapstick, taking that hero's role, but in the '40s.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

In Starman #46, James Robinson wrote the Jester's final case before he retired his superhero identity. It was a much more dignified send-off than others Robinson gave.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sidney369 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:23 pmIn Starman #46, James Robinson wrote the Jester's final case before he retired his superhero identity. It was a much more dignified send-off than others Robinson gave.
That's kind of a low bar.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Golden Age Captain Triumph

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL that last panel is amazing.

CAPTAIN TRIUMPH I (Lance & Michael Gallant)
Created By:
Alfred Andriola
First Appearance: Crack Comics #27 (Jan. 1943)
Role: Ghost-Powered Good Guy
Group Affiliations: The All-Star Squadron
PL 10 (162)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 4/8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+6, +10 Empowered)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Journalist) 4 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Diehard, Fast Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses for Toughness)

Powers:
Enhanced Strength 6 [12]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 11) [15]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
"Invisibility" Concealment (Visuals) 2 [4]
Morph 3 (Humans) [15]

"Michael's Skills" Enhanced Skills 14: Expertise (Military) 4 (+7), Technology 2 (+5), Vehicles 8 (+12) [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Ghost Power +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +12 (+6 Impervious), Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- Lance must touch the T-shaped birthmark on his wrist if he is to gain power- Michael shares the same mark.
Relationship (Kim Meredith)- Kim was Michaels' fiancée, and becomes Lance after Michael's death.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 68 / Defenses: 6 (162)

-Captain Triumph was a Quality Comics character, the combination of a set of twins. Closer than even most siblings, they grow up together, with Michael Gallant becoming a fighter pilot, while his brother Lance becomes a journalist. Tragically, Michael is killed by a saboteur, dying in Lance's arms- Michael swears vengeance, and the Fates, observing all of this, are impressed and decide to make him a champion of justice. Michael's ghost thus visits his brother, and empowers Lance with great power. Despite never wearing a mask (or even GLASSES), people who've met both Lance and his superheroic identity make no connection between the two.

-As Captain Triumph, he lasts as a cover character for 36 issues in Crack Comics before disappearing, making him a success in any world- his plain-ish costume believed to be an attempt to make it clear he's a superhero, without actually advertising it TOO much (as the genre was fading a bit). He gains a fiancée in Michael's flame Kim Meredith (a brave woman in her own right), and a personal assistant in Biff the Clown, who is a pretty burly sort and can handle himself in a scrap. Once DC bought the rights to Quality Comics' characters, Triumph was meant to be used in All-Star Squadron, but Roy Thomas "never got around to it" before the book was cancelled. In the end, his only real version in mainstream DC continuity was as a random-ass character in The Titans- in Jay Faerber's run, he got involved in the horrible "Jesse Quick sleeps with her mother's fiancée" storyline, overhearing said fiancée brag about fleecing Libby of money, while boning her hot daughter- in a rage, Michael Gallant takes over Lance's body, and strangles the young braggart to death. This is largely-ignored afterwards, but the Gallants never appear again- a new "Captain Triumph" appears in the newer Uncle Sam & the Freedom Fighters series who can fly and is strong, but she's not a major character.

-Triumph is a normal man that becomes super-powerful when his brother's Ghost (an Insubstantial Spirit that can, with great concentration, Compel others to do things)- in his Crack Comics appearances, he appears to be legitimately nigh-invincible, being impossible to harm, even with lasers that "can cut through ANYTHING!"- he even jokes that it TICKLES. Even an attempt to make him more reasonable puts him at PL 10, though he's only PL 9 offensively.