Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Axis Amerika

Post by Jabroniville »

AXIS AMERIKA:
Created By:
Roy & Dann Thomas & Brian Murray
First Appearance: Young All-Stars #1 (June 1987)

-Peculiarly, in his 1987 Young All-Stars series, Roy Thomas created not only a band of pastiches of now-gone Golden Age DC heroes like Superman, Wonder Woman & Batman, but EVIL pastiches of the same characters! This group, Axis Amerika, were a bunch of evil Germans intending to bring down American morale by killing superheroes. Their only success story is minor-leaguer TNT, who is killed in a car crash. Quickly, however, their teammate Tsunami defects and joins the Young All-Stars, who are formed in part to face these guys. Fury is affected by the rage-god Tisiphone and kills Die Fledermaus in battle. The Axis hasn't appeared in eons- Sea Wolf is seen as a backgrounder in Alexander Luthor's Secret Society and that's it.

Exactly why the departed JSA/All-Star members needed evil Axis variants is beyond me, but The Young All-Stars was really, REALLY phoned in.

The Roster:
Übermensch- Supermanalogue.
Grösshorn Eule- Batman pastiche. "Great Horned Owl".
Die Fledermaus- Robin pastiche. Killed by Fury.
Gudra- Wonder Woman pastiche. Valkyrie.
Sea Wolf- Aquatic Aquaman pastiche. Lycanthropic water spirit.
Tsunami- Second-generation immigrant with water powers. Defects to the Young All-Stars.
Kamikaze- Replaces Tsunami.
Usil- Italian archer. Green Arrow pastiche.
Sumo the Samurai- Personal agent of Emperor Hirohito.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Flying Fox! Iron Munro! Tsunami! FDR! Magog!)

Post by Ken »

Versammelt in der großen Halle des Vaterlandes...

Die Überfreunde!!!
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Übermensch

Post by Jabroniville »

ÜBERMENSCH (Real Name Unknown, aka Overman)
Created By:
Roy Thomas, Dann Thomas & Michael Mair
Role: Evil Superman
Group Affiliations: Axis Amerika
PL 9 (117)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Combat, Improved Hold, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 9 [9]
Speed 6 (120 mph) [6]
Leaping 5 (250 feet) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibilty (Axis Powers)- Axis Amerika are loyal agents of the Axis Powers.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 11 (117)

-The name "Übermensch" will never not be ridiculous, but here he is- a "German Superman", but like... he was given powers by the process that created Iron Munro, so he's lower-level. He's just a big, strong, evil Hitler-worshipping German. It's unknown what happened to him following the War. Not that it matters- Captain Nazi does everything this guy does, but better, both as being a character, a visual design AND a concept.
Jabroniville

Die Grösshorn Eule

Post by Jabroniville »

DIE GRÖSSHORN EULE (Real Name Unknown, aka "Horned Owl")
Created By:
Roy & Dann Thomas & Brian Murray
Role: Evil Batman
PL 8 (118)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 5 (+8)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+7)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 3 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Gear, Guns, Knives, Explosives), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Die Fledermaus)- The Eule's son is his Kid Sidekick.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (118)

-Yes, another "Evil Batman" who is named after an owl- DC really loves that trope. "Die Grösshorn Eule" is a literal German translation of "Great Horned Owl". According to the DC Wiki, the proper German name of the Great Horned Owl is Virginia-uhu, and the bird is native to the United States only, as its name implies. Die Grösshorn Eule has a Kid Sidekick who is actually his own son. His red cape and mask at least let him stand out a bit.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Had. Die Fledermaus died like a bitch.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Die Fledermaus

Post by Jabroniville »

DIE FLEDERMAUS (Real Name Unknown, aka “The Flittermouse/The Bat”)
Created By:
Bob Rozakis & Dick Ayers
First Appearance: Freedom Fighters #7 (March 1977)
Role: Robin Pastiche, Pint-Sized Brawler
PL 6 (67)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 9 (+9)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Close Attack, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Relationship (Die Grösshorn Eule)- The Eule’s son is his Kid Sidekick.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (67)

-Die Fledermaus's name becomes even more hilarious when the bat-themed goofy slapstick hero in The Tick shared that name in the '90s (it's German for "flittermouse", aka "Bat"). This one is the son of Die Grösshorn Eule. He was killed in battle when Fury was possessed by the vengeful god Tisiphone and slew him in combat.
Sidney369

Re: Die Fledermaus

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:19 am
-Die Fledermaus's name becomes even more hilarious when the bat-themed goofy slapstick hero in The Tick shared that name in the '90s (it's German for "flittermouse", aka "Bat"). This one is the son of Die Grösshorn Eule. He was killed in battle when Fury was possessed by the vengeful god Tisiphone and slew him in combat.
If I remember correctly, it was accidentally. Tisiphone was throwing planes around and one landed on the piece of shiza.

And I may be a little late bring this up, but the last issue of YAS was very anti-climatic. After the teens had been fighting Hugo Danner and his Children of the Dawn for a couple of issues, a contingent of A-SS members show up to back them up. There's a brief fight, the Sons of Dawn start dropping due to not being immune to common diseases and then Danner jumps into a boiler, which then explodes. I get the impression that Thomas planned on having the story go for another issue or two, but the book was axed and he had to wrap it early. And I don't really buy that the explosion killed Danner, given how tough he and his son was.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidney369 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:01 am
If I remember correctly, it was accidentally. Tisiphone was throwing planes around and one landed on the piece of shiza.

And I may be a little late bring this up, but the last issue of YAS was very anti-climatic. After the teens had been fighting Hugo Danner and his Children of the Dawn for a couple of issues, a contingent of A-SS members show up to back them up. There's a brief fight, the Sons of Dawn start dropping due to not being immune to common diseases and then Danner jumps into a boiler, which then explodes. I get the impression that Thomas planned on having the story go for another issue or two, but the book was axed and he had to wrap it early. And I don't really buy that the explosion killed Danner, given how tough he and his son was.
Yeah, when looking for pics of YAA issues, I came across a Comicvine synopsis and review that detailed how half-assed that was. It’s pretty hilarious, especially for something they seemed to build to. But if years of Roy & Dan’s stories are being swept away by DC (I believe he heads to Avengers West Coast around this time), I can see why he’d just go “oh screw it” and do the “War if the Worlds” ending.

It’s actually kind of weird that for all the work that was done in this series (31 issues), the only character with any real longevity was Iron freakin’ Munro of all people. The others are barely in cameos, and most people forget even Fury I ever existed, and she has a legacy character! Oddly, it’s Flying Fox who seems to have been the most ignored of the core characters. Dan & TNT oddly seemed perfect as “extra Golden Agers” people felt free to screw with, as they were among the few untouched ones.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:49 amOddly, it’s Flying Fox who seems to have been the most ignored of the core characters.
What makes it especially bad is that Flying Fox is one of a rare breed in the DC Universe: a Canadian character.
Jabroniville

Gudra

Post by Jabroniville »

GUDRA
Created By:
Role: Evil Valkyrie
PL 9 (103)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Valkyrie) 8 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Combat, Equipment (Spear +1- Reach 2), Improved Hold, Minion 3 (Stormwind- Flying Horse), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Ageless Valkyrie" Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Spear +7 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 10 (103)

STORMWIND
Role:
Flying Horse
PL 6 (54)- Minion Rank 3, Sidekick Rank 11
Normal Version:
PL 3-4
STRENGTH 5 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+3)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+4, +5 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive (To Women), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hooves), Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Horses cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 8 (54)

-Gudra is a blonde Valkyrie riding a winged horse (Roy Thomas also created Marvel's Valkyrie, so he's used to this), and represents Hitler's (and modern Nazis') famous interest in Norse mythos. She was brought to Earth by his use of the Spear of Destiny. Her name is based off of Wonder Woman's Golden Age foe, the valkyrie Gundra. She appears in Young All-Stars #1 taking the soul of the slain hero TNT to Valhalla. Gudra (now spelled like the old WW foe's name) actually reappeared following the War, appearing as part of Circe's group of female villains. She was taken out by Wonder Girl.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Did Gurda take die Fledermaus to Valhalla the way she did TNT?

Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:49 am and most people forget even Fury I ever existed, and she has a legacy character!
Well, I've tried, but to no avail.

Actually, her being a legacy character is part of the problem. Between Ms. America and Hippolyta, having Fury I as Diana's replacement on the JSA never quite happened. And then, because Lyta was married to Hector, and Hector, as Sandman, was killed (again) by Morpheus the two of them (Hector and Lyta) were pulled into the Vertigo line, and the DC/Vertigo problems happened, and so Hector and Lyta became untouchable by the DC people for a time. This made Helena, Lyta's mom, a problem. The creative staff on JSA, tried to reclaim Hector and Lyta, but eventually Karen Berger complained and Hector and Lyta were unceremoniously cut from the JSA book.

Gorakar

Re: Die Grösshorn Eule

Post by Gorakar »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:26 pm DIE GRÖSSHORN EULE (Real Name Unknown, aka "Horned Owl")
"Die Grösshorn Eule" is a literal German translation of "Great Horned Owl"...
For the sake of it: it actually isn't. "Gröss" is not a real German word. There is "Gross" ("big" or "large") or "(die) Grösse" ("(the) size"), but no "Gröss".
A literal translation for "Great Horned Owl" (if that "Great" refers to the size of something) would be "Große gehörnte Eule". "Grosshorn Eule" would also be acceptable, as long as no "ö" is forced into those words.

It's almost always funny for natural german speakers when american writers try to translate names into german. The results are most of the time ... interesting, to say the least :D
Sidney369

Re: Gudra

Post by Sidney369 »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:52 am Image

GUDRA
Created By:
Thomas also made her one of the first enemies the JSA fought in Secret Origins #31, a post-Crisis retelling of DC Special #29.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Axis Amerika makes me want to re-Gurda-tate.