Mithril Age -- DC/Marvel Fusion Universe

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
catsi563

Re: Mithril Age -- DC/Marvel Fusion Universe

Post by catsi563 »

Ares wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:34 am Ben Grimm is definitely one of Marvel's best characters, and a legit badass.
He is and Bens always been one of my faves

my PC Rolling Thunder has fought every major Brick type in any universe hes been in and won. Thunders someone whose literally Stopped the unstoppable and moved the immovable.

Of the bunch of bricks in the marvel Universe of the top 5 Thunder respects the most Ben Grimm tops the list
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Ben Grimm is good, and this is a good Ben Grimm.

(To tell you the truth, I like him so much more than the rest of the Fantastic Four that it makes it hard to work out my feelings on the team as a whole.)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Not long after Superman made his debut and started the Bronze Age of superheroes, some thirty-five years ago, the United States' Project Cadmus (formerly known as the DNA Project during the Silver Age) began efforts to clone him, ostensibly so that if something unfortunate should happen to the greatest American hero, he could be replaced. Regardless of their actual motives, however, they suffered failure after failure, producing bizarre creations that rarely lived for more than a few days. Reportedly, even Alexei Luthor was hired to consult on the program, baited by the possibility of learning something useful about his nemesis.

Roughly sixteen years ago, what was thought to be a viable clone was created. The truth was that the child conceived in that laboratory was a hybrid of Kryptonian and human DNA, more of a son of Superman than a duplicate of him. Sadly, by the time that the boy had been artificially aged to about fifteen years, Superman had already died in battle against the monstrous Doomsday. Freed from his imprisonment by the members of the third Newsboy Legion, the young clone decided to take up the never-ending battle in place of his gamete donor -- and also take up his name, because he refused to be known as Superboy.

While brash and impetuous, the Metropolis Kid (as he was sometimes known) also proved to be clever and courageous, notably accompanying other superheroes in the dismantling of the Weapon X facility that had created Doomsday from samples of Logan Howlett and the Hulk. He also took part in the defeat of Hank Henshaw, the so-called Cyborg Superman, alongside Captain Marvel and the rest of the Justice League. In the aftermath, it was suggested that he join the Teen Titans, but the Kid (by that point resigned to being called Superboy) chose instead to follow his first girlfriend back to her home in Hawaii.

These days, that feels like it was a long time ago to the young man who goes by the name Jonah Conners, more like decades instead of just fifteen years (over which he's aged maybe seven, physically.) There've been a lot of twists and turns in the tale. Yet nevertheless, here he is back in Hawaii as a licensed and bonded superhero and the official representative of the Justice League in these parts. A major part of his assignment is keeping an eye on Project Graviton, the crash program being run to rebuild a damaged alien vessel that crashed on Kauaʻi ten years ago into Earth's first space battleship. Naturally, this has attracted all sorts of malign attention from all sorts of people, and while the actual Project base is guarded by Iron Man, he can't be everywhere.

All of this has given Jonah considerable respect for Tony Stark, and he really wishes that the older hero wasn't so darn hostile to him. Unfortunately, given that one of the young women who keep Jonah busy is Tony's fifteen-year-old daughter Bethany, that is probably a pipe dream. He also often sees a lot of Aiva Free, the red-haired adopted daughter of Scott and Barda Free, and a strange young woman named Shiho Kotobuki who seems to know more about the alien ship than is really healthy. He's well aware that all of these ladies are way too young for him, and tries to keep things platonic. Unfortunately, they don't share his restraint, and things frequently get a little chaotic.

Thus, the missions that Jonah undertakes alongside the Justice League come as something of a relief, even if they are often exceptionally dangerous. He was somewhat surprised to be invited to join the League a few years ago, given that he doesn't bring a lot to the table that other members of the group don't already have, aside from his tactile telekinesis (and even he's tired of bringing up the tact-- oh, skip it.) But he's come to understand that he has two things that none of the other Leaguers have -- streetwise, and an awareness of his own limitations. That interestingly makes him the Batman of the group, in some ways, and he thinks that's kind of amazing.

When not with the League or on the job, he lives in the guest house of the Oahu estate of a reclusive author, who owes Jonah a few favors. It's a pretty sweet life, really, but there are two big hassles above and beyond the terrible trio. The first is that he recently learned that the guy who provided the human DNA from which he was created, one Paul Westfield, is still alive and scheming to turn him into an obedient little drone. The other directly came out of that discovery, which put an end to a long-standing grudge with Westfield's daughter, Amanda Spence, who had been responsible for some of the greatest pains that Jonah had ever suffered.

While initially thrilled to learn of her father's survival, Spence was soon devastated to learn that he was not her father, that she was nothing more than a clone of his ex-wife, and that he considered her completely disgusting and an abject failure compared to "his boy." After Westfield made his escape, Spence quietly told Jonah that the Tana Moon she had murdered, years before, had also been a clone, and that the real Tana was in suspended animation somewhere. "But you'll never find her," she said, and promptly blew herself up.

Jonah doesn't even know where to start looking. But he's going to prove Spence wrong one more time if it's the last thing he does.

Jonah Conners -- PL 11

Abilities:
STR
13/2 | STA 13/2 | AGL 3 | DEX 3 | FGT 3 | INT 1 | AWE 4 | PRE 4

Powers:
Tactile Telekinesis: Continuous Transform 9 (assembled into disassembled); Senses 4 (touch penetrates concealment) - 31 points
Ultra-Sight: Senses 4 (extended vision 3, low-light vision) - 4 points
Ultra-Speed: Enhanced Advantages 6 (Close Attack 3, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Move-by Action), Quirk (Close Attack is only enhanced against opponents with a lower Initiative total); Enhanced Defenses 6 (Dodge 3, Parry 3); Quickness 4; Speed 8 (250 MPH) - 23 points
Ultra-Strength: Enhanced Strength 11; Enhanced Strength 2, Limited to lifting (800 tons); Leaping 16 (60 miles) - 40 points
Ultra-Toughness: Enhanced Stamina 11; Immunity 10 (life support), Quirk (Limited to hour-long intervals); Impervious Toughness 13 - 44 points

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Attractive, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Taunt, Weapon Break.

Skills:
Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+6), Deception 6 (+10), Expertise: Popular Culture 7 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise: 6 (+7), Insight 5 (+9), Investigation 5 (+6), Perception 7 (+11), Ranged Combat: Throwing 5 (+8), Technology 6 (+7).

Offense:
Initiative +7
Unarmed +9/6 (Close Damage 13/2)

Defense:
Dodge 8/5, Parry 9/6, Fortitude 13/2, Toughness 13/2, Will 8.

Totals:
Abiities 44 + Powers 142 + Advantages 5 + Skills 27 + Defenses 9 = 227 points

Offensive PL: 11
Defensive PL: 11
Resistance PL: 11
Skill PL: 6

Complications:
Thrills--Motivation. Complicated Love Life. Nemesis (Paul Westfield.) "Please Stop Calling Me Superboy." Power Loss/Weakness (Kryptonite, nullifies all powers and progressively fatigued, exhausted and incapacitated, will eventually be fatal.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Daibhid C

Post by Daibhid C »

A good take on Kon-El here (does he go by Kon-El at all? I guess Clark wasn't around to adopt him into the House of El). Delighted that you're keeping Westfield as his human donor. (Shakes fist in direction of Geoff Johns.)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Daibhid C wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:01 pm A good take on Kon-El here (does he go by Kon-El at all? I guess Clark wasn't around to adopt him into the House of El)
No, he's never been given a Kryptonian name.

Thanks!
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sometimes, when even she becomes confused by the many versions of her past that she remembers, she takes comfort in remembering that the gods she was raised to worship also had many contradictory stories told about them. That could mean that she, like them, is a creature of narrative, who has whatever characteristics and limitations she needs at any given time. On the other hand, those gods are fallen, now, which is a less comforting thought.

Her earliest memories are being told by her mother that her own mother had created her through the use of a magic mirror, to allow her daughter to experience motherhood as well. She soon recognized that this was meant to be an amusing fable, especially since she couldn't find such a magic mirror anywhere in the palace, or anywhere on the island. When she came of age, her mother told her that during one of her later visits to the world of the Patriarch, she had found an orphaned infant child in a burning building and brought her back to the island for healing, only for the Purple Healing Ray to empower her as one of the people. For a long while, that story satisfied Donna.

A few years after that, she followed in her mother's footsteps by traveling into the world beyond, where she joined the newly founded Teen Titans, claiming to be the protégé of the legendary Wonder Woman of the Golden Age. Their adventures were entertaining and educational, but after a few years of this, she was ready for greater challenges. After a series of twelve labors, she was accepted as a member of the Justice League, and often found herself leading it. She wound up saving the League during one of its darkest hours, by pointing out that the charter granted each of the founding members the right to propose its dissolution, such measure had to be approved by a two-thirds majority of the the remaining founders -- which did not happen.

Then the world was transformed, and Donna took it harder than most. For whatever reason, she found herself more haunted than most others by the dreams of the other lives she had known -- lives where she had been married with a child, lives where she had been adopted by the gods themselves, lives where she was the sister and sidekick of the woman she thought of as her mother, lives too numerous too count. While this turned out to be a scheme by Professor Psycho, he claimed that he had only exacerbated an existing malaise in her mind.

Shaken by that, Donna chose to ask her mother to once more tell her the truth about her origins, while holding the Golden Lasso this time. So it was that she learned that she was not an adopted daughter, but her mother's own naturally born child, one of four. Diana would not discuss her father's identity beyond saying that he had been a good man, but that their relationship could never work. Frustrated, Donna abandoned the Wonder Woman identity for a time, leading to the brief ascension of Orana.

While she reclaimed her name after Orana fell in battle, Donna remained estranged from her mother and homeland until the events of Götterdämmerung, which saw the destruction of both Olympus and Tartarus. She returned home to help rebuild the damage, both physical and cultural, that this had done to their paradise. In the process, the Amazons learned of their original religion, the dualism that they had known before they were embraced by the Olympians.

While happy that her fellows have found meaning in this, Donna has remained somewhat alienated from this revival, as she recognizes that both the Goddess and the God are every bit as capricious as those who followed them. She has also remained close to the survivors of Olympus, many of whom still hold out hope that Olympus can be reborn. As she remembers many deaths and rebirths, how can she possibly deny that possibility?

Currently based out of San Francisco, Donna has recently worked with a protégé of her own, Yara Flor, descendant of the Amazons of Brazil. She has been frequently elected to serve as the leader of the Justice League, sometimes sharing the role with Captain Atom. The two of them have a sometimes contentious, sometimes flirtatious relationship that has never quite blossomed into romance, due to their respective professional commitments. Maybe someday ...

Wonder Woman -- PL 12

Abilities:
STR
7 | STA 8 | AGL 5 | DEX 4 | FGT 9 | INT 3 | AWE 4 | PRE 5

Powers:
Amazonian Longevity: Immunity 1 (aging); Immunity 2 (suffocation), Sustained; Regeneration 5 - 6 point
Bracers of Submission: Enhanced Advantage 1 (Improved Defense), Removable (-0 points) - 1 point
Golden Lasso: Array (42 points); Easily Removable (-16 points)
  • Group Binding: Linked Ranged Burst Area Affliction 7 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenseless & Immobile), Extra Condition, Limited Degree; Linked Ranged Burst Area Progressive Affliction 7 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Compelled), Limited Degree, Only to speak the truth - 42 point
  • Individual Binding: Linked Ranged Affliction 10 (Resisted by Dodge, Overcome by Damage; Hindered & Vulnerable, Defenseless & Immobile), Extra Condition, Limited Degree; Linked Ranged Progressive Affliction 10 (Resisted by Will; Dazed, Compelled), Limited Degree, Only to speak the truth - 1 point
Swift: Enhanced Advantages 4 (Improved Initiative 3, Move-by Action); Leaping 6 (1800 feet); Speed 6 (120 mph); Swimming 6 (30 mph) - 22 points

Power Stunt:
Dispel Magic: Perception Range Nullify Magic 14, Broad

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Animal Empathy, Close Attack 4, Defensive Attack, Equipment 9, Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 3, Improved Trip, Inspire 2, Jack-of-all-trades, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Takedown, Trance, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed.

Equipment:
Invisible Jet: Size Huge; Strength 10; Speed 11 (air); Defense 6; Toughness 12; Features Navigation System, Remote Control; Powers Concealment 6 (radio, visual), Regeneration 1 - 42 points

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13), Athletics 6 (+13), Close Combat: Unarmed 1 (+10), Deception 5 (+10), Expertise: Art 6 (+9), Expertise: History 8 (+11), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 5 (+10), Investigation 5 (+8), Perception 10 (+14), Persuasion 10 (+15), Ranged Combat: Lasso 10 (+14), Vehicles 6 (+11).

Offense:
Initiative +17
Unarmed +14 (Close Damage 7)
Lasso +14 (Ranged Affliction 10, Resisted by Dodge and Will)

Defense:
Dodge 12, Parry 14, Fortitude 11, Toughness 8, Will 11.

Totals:
Abilities 90 + Powers 56 + Advantages 30 + Skills 44 + Defenses 22 = 242 points

Offensive PL: 12
Defensive PL: 11
Skill PL: 10

Complications:
Doing Good--Motivation. Curse of Ares (becomes enraged if Bracers are removed.) Family. Nemesis (the Cheetah.) Secret Identity.
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

So Diana has retired to be Queen, eh? Neat. Lower STR than I'd normally expect for Donna, tho. Otherwise thumbs up emoji. Yeah.
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Davies

Post by Davies »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:11 pm So Diana has retired to be Queen, eh? Neat. Lower STR than I'd normally expect for Donna, tho. Otherwise thumbs up emoji. Yeah.
Thank you. If I get a lot of pushback, I may bump up her Strength and Toughness a couple of ranks.
Ken

Post by Ken »

EternalPhoenix wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:11 pm So Diana has retired to be Queen, eh? Neat. Lower STR than I'd normally expect for Donna, tho. Otherwise thumbs up emoji. Yeah.
Read some early Bronze Age Teen Titans. Anything from about #21 through the Mr. Jupiter lobotomized Titans period, right through to the first cancellation at #43. Donna was lucky if she rated as high as a 7.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Wally West sometimes finds it a bit amazing that he, of all people, has become one of the longest surviving members of his generation of heroes. He supposes that isn't all that meaningful when he's on a team with someone who became the World's Mightiest Marvel in the Golden Age, and another who became the original nuclear man in the Silver Age. And that it isn't really surprising when you consider that he was only ten years old when he became the Fastest Boy Alive, and that his membership in a group dubbed "the Teen Titans" was a bit ridiculous since he hadn't yet had his thirteenth birthday when they formed.

Granted powers by the doubly implausible repetition of an unfathomably unlikely event, Kid Flash joined his mentor on his adventures for many years, and also learned tricks of the speedster trade from the original Flash, the now quite-elderly Jay Garrick. Wally briefly retired his costumed identity at seventeen when his powers seemed to be fading and their continued use put his health in danger, but the situation resolved itself without apparent explanation soon after the Crisis. By that point, with Barry happily retired to the 30th century and Jay passing away not long afterwards, there was a void that Wally felt obligated to fill.

It hasn't been an easy row to hoe. While most of the notorious Rogues Gallery have moved out of costumed villainy and into management positions in Central City's organized crime, they've inspired numerous copycats who tend to be even more brutal and violent than their supposed inspirations, and Wally has also acquired a few nemeses in his own right. Even more difficulty has come from within, as the extradimensional energy that allows him to perform his physics-defying stunts can cause a backlash when he draws too heavily upon it; this has been known to cause him to disappear into the "Speed Force Dimension" for months at a time. While he has always returned, attempts to reclaim this lost time through his ability to break the time barrier have failed, sometimes disastrously.

Thus, Wally has grown much more cautious about pushing the limits of his abilities than he was as a youth, especially since he married long-time girlfriend Linda Park and became the father of two super-powered kids, Jai and Iris. With the two of them coming up on same age that he was when he became Kid Flash, they are keen to attend Titan Academy now, never mind waiting a few years. For understandable reasons, Linda and Wally are less than enthused about that notion, but the alternative -- seeing them head off on adventures without appropriate supervision -- is not appealing either.

Coming up on his fortieth birthday and conscious of the fact that he's been using the Flash name for almost as long as Jay did, never mind Barry, Wally sometimes contemplates retirement. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a readily available successor. His kids are too young, Bart Allen (Barry's time travelling grandson, sometimes called Impulse) went back to the future for the last time several years ago. He knows better than to ask his long-standing rival Quicksilver to even consider the notion, and frankly his teeth ache at the idea of that guy swanning about in the red and gold. So he's just going to have to keep on keeping on, for a while.

After all, lightning can't possibly strike three times ... right?

The Flash -- PL 13

Abilities:
STR
2 | STA 8 | AGL 6 | DEX 4 | FGT 6 | INT 3 | AWE 2 | PRE 3

Powers:
"Fastest Man Alive": Enhanced Advantages 21 (Agile Feint, Close Attack 5, Evasion, Improved Initiative 12, Instant Up, Move-by Action), Quirk (Close Attack is only enhanced against targets with a lower Initiative total); Enhanced Defenses 18 (Dodge 9, Parry 9); Immunity 10 (heat/fire effects), Limited to half effect; Movement 4 (permeate 3, safe fall); Movement 3 (time travel 3), Activation (standard action); Movement 3 (wall-crawling 2, water-walking), Limited (only when moving); Quickness 12; Speed 18 (500,000 MPH) - 88 points
Speedster Tricks: Array (16 points)
  • Arm-Spinning Tornado: Close Cone Area 3 Move Object 8 (6 tons), Concentration - 16 points
  • Interception: Deflect 16, Reflect - 1 point
  • Rapidfire Punch: Strength-based Multiattack Damage 6 (includes Multiattack on Strength Damage 2) - 1 point
  • Sonic Boom Punch: Burst Area Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; Dazed & Hearing Impaired, Stunned & Hearing Disabled), Extra Condition, Limited Degree - 1 point
Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Benefit 2 (independently wealthy), Close Attack 5, Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative 12, Instant Up, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Set-up.

Skills:
Athletics 7 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+9), Expertise: Science 6 (+9), Insight 8 (+10), Investigation 6 (+8), Perception 5 (+7), Technology 5 (+8).

Offense:
Initiative +54
Unarmed +14/+9 (Close Multiattack Damage 8)

Defense:
Dodge 18/9, Parry 18/9, Fortitude 12, Toughness 8, Will 9.

Totals:
Abilities 68 + Powers 107 + Advantages 9 + Skills 20 + Defenses 17 = 221 points

Defensive PL: 13
Skill PL: 5

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Family. Speed Force (when using Extraordinary Effort, might disappear for a time.)

Note: Why doesn't my spell-check recognize the word "swanning"?
EternalPhoenix

Post by EternalPhoenix »

Davies wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:31 pm After all, lightning can't possibly strike three times ... right?
Wally. After over a quarter century of heroics, I'd think you'd know better than to hand the universe a line that straight. :mrgreen:
The Phoenixverse (A 2e OC 'verse!)
The Archetype Blendarama!
You, Dear Reader, may comment on any build at any time. I will be happy regardless.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Sojourner "Jo" Mullein knew from an early age that she wanted justice -- not just for herself, not just for her family or people, but for all. The problem she had was figuring out how to accomplish that. Jo served in the army, but came to feel uncomfortable with the job she was doing. She studied at Princeton, but found no satisfaction in just learning about the world. She became a police officer to try and protect the innocent, but after a horrific experience where she watched her partner beating an unarmed civilian half-way to death, resulting in her reporting him to her superiors, she was fired. That was when one of the New Guardians found her and offered her the ring.

She spent a solar year assigned to sector 3600, specifically the enormous Dyson swarm known as the City Enduring, where three different species had biologically muted their emotions -- unfortunately, without suppressing the drives that underlie them -- creating an apparent utopia which had begun to fail, prompting them to seek assistance from the Green Lantern Corps. Within half of that year, she had prevented a coup and completely upended the Emotional Exploit system, then spent the remainder of that time dealing with the fallout of the situation. Jo honestly expected to get kicked out of the Corps for all of this, but was instead commended and given another difficult assignment.

After a few more years of this, she was further startled to be assigned to duty back home on Earth, as one of the large assembly of Green Lanterns dispatched there, under the command of Jennie Hayden and Charlie Vicker. She was even more surprised to be chosen to serve as the Corps' representative on the Justice League, over more experienced ringbearers. When she asked why, she was told that the New Guardian who had chosen her, once known as Betty Clawman, had apparently foreseen that the League, and humanity as a whole, was about to face a series of challenges unlike those it had known before, which needed to be seen with fresh eyes.

Jo still isn't sure what to make of all that, but she has risen to the challenge and worked with the other members of the League well in the last year. She finds fighting supervillains to be annoying and distracting, but will do all she can to protect civilians from their insanity. Since returning to Earth, she has had several go-arounds with the current Doctor Spectrum, but her most persistent adversary is probably William "Scooter" Campbell, recently recruited by the Star Sapphire Corps. (Her most persistent personal adversary; Parallax, and the Golden Corps he leads, are the most persistent enemies of the Green Lanterns as a whole, but she has yet to clash directly with any of them. Yet.)

Currently, Jo resides in the Green Lantern Citadel just outside of Los Angeles. Aside from a covert visit back to Brooklyn to visit her now quite elderly father, she has not returned to New York since coming back to Earth. While it has been years since she was a police officer there, she has no confidence that anything has gotten better with the department since she left, and fears that her own impulse to try and make things better would just cause more chaos if she took a long look at it. But she'll go where her duties take her, always.

Green Lantern -- PL 13

Abilities:
STR
1 | STA 3 | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 4 | INT 2 | AWE 3 | PRE 2

Powers:
Green Lantern Ring: Removable (-28 points)
* AI and Database: Enhanced Advantages 2 (Benefit [make Well-informed check based on Expertise: Galactic], Well-informed); Enhanced Skill 5 (Expertise: Galactic 10); Feature 1 (ring AI) - 8 points
* Communications: Communication 5, Limited to other Green Lanterns and associated artifacts - 15 points
* Defensive Force Field: Immunity 10 (life support); Impervious Protection 15 - 40 points
* Force Manipulation: Array (30 points)
  • Force Blast: Ranged Damage 15, Dynamic - 31 points
  • Force Bubble: Affects Others and Self, Ranged, Selective, and Burst Area on Immunity 10 (life support), Dynamic - 2 points
  • Force Constructs: Create 15, Dynamic - 2 points
  • Lifting: Move Object 15, Dynamic - 2 points
  • Mobile Constructs: Create 10, Movable, Dynamic - 2 points
* Hyper Flight: Flight 14 (32,000 MPH); Movement 4 (environmental adaptation-zero g, space travel 3) - 36 points
* Sensor Beam: Senses 6 (analytical auditory, olfactory and visual) - 6 points

Advantages:
Benefit, Defensive Attack, Fearless, Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Well-informed.

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+8), Expertise: Current Events 4 (+6), Expertise: Galactic 10 (+12), Insight 8 (+11), Investigation 9 (+11), Perception 7 (+10), Ranged Combat: Ring 6 (+9), Treatment 4 (+6).

Offense:
Initiative +6
Unarmed +8 (Close Damage 1)
Force Blast +9 (Ranged Damage 15)

Defense:
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 7, Toughness 18/3, Will 13

Totals:
Abilities 40 + Powers 116 + Advantages 4 + Skills 24 + Defenses 24 = 208 points

Defensive PL: 13
Resistance PL: 10
Skill PL: 9

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Nemesis (Star Sapphire.) Power Loss (all but Defensive Force Field, if ring is not recharged every 24 hours.) Yellow Impurity (must make Will check [DC based on situation] to affect or be protected from yellow.)

Note: In most cases, the DC for a Yellow Impurity Will check should be equal to the Resistance DC of the effect, or 10 + the mass value of the object to be affected. The character gains a Hero Point for this complication only if the Will check fails.

In Far Sector, Jo was given a ring that worked a bit differently from a regular Green Lantern ring. (Read the series to find out how.) This worked for the story that N.K. Jemisin was telling, but perhaps not so much for a continuing character in a shared universe. So this version of Jo has a regular Green Lantern ring.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Davies wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:48 pm
Thank you. If I get a lot of pushback, I may bump up her Strength and Toughness a couple of ranks.
If you get pushback, take it under advisement but don't change it unless you really want to. It's your setting, make the characters function as you want.

Sincerely,

He Who Been Debating His Character Build Decisions Since 2007 :twisted:
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Blue Beetle
The Bug

Ted Kord never planned to be a superhero. Then again, he never planned to be the head of a multinational corporation, either. While his father had founded Kord Omniversal Research & Development (a name that Ted has tried to change to something a bit less egomaniacal, without notable success) Ted never had any illusions that his father considered him as an heir. He had vague ambitions of working in the actual R&D department, and managed to complete his first university degree when he was twenty, but was content to take life as it came.

Then he discovered that his uncle Jarvis, being slightly more of a megalomaniac than Ted's father, had decided to use an android army to conquer the world. (Said army had actually been provided by the Manhunters, though Ted wasn't to know that, yet.) Ted sought help from one of his professors, archaeologist Dan Garrett, who had experience dealing with insane situations -- even more than Ted expected, since in the course of foiling the scheme, Dan revealed himself to be the Blue Beetle, a superhero who had been active decades earlier during the Silver Age.

Tragically, the Beetle was killed in action during the affair, and though Dan urged Ted with his dying words to take up the mantle, Ted was unable to make the "magic scarab" which empowered his predecessor work for him. He turned to more mundane methods, instead, training himself and developing technological weapons and paraphernalia, such as the first incarnation of his Bug. With these, he fought crime in Chicago for a number of years.

Before he could really get going, however, his father suffered a major heart attack and the board turned to Ted to act as an interim CEO. Reluctantly, Ted set aside his heroic identity to focus on these concerns, and actually found himself enjoying a great deal of success. But the call to adventure could not be indefinitely denied, and Ted began splitting his time between activities as the Blue Beetle and work with KORD. Ultimately, trying to pursue both goals led to him failing at one of them, as his father came back and callously seized control of it once again.

Consequently, Ted focused on his heroics, and wound up joining the Justice League in one of its reformations. He wound up frequently working with fellow Leaguer Booster Gold, who would become one of his best friends and remains so to this day, though it's been quite a while since they worked together. These days, Booster is largely retired from up-front heroics, working as the manager of the Defenders (which has incorporated the Conglomerate, the Hero Hotline, Heroes For Hire, and a number of other teams.)

Pushing fifty as he is, Ted has frequently considered retiring as well, particularly after his father passed away and, amazingly, left control of the company to the son he once proclaimed worthless. He still feels obligated to keep fighting the good fight, though, especially since he's the primary tech guru for the current League, and one of its major financial contributors. His costume now contains circuitry that boosts his reflexes, and the Bug has been retooled so that it's no longer a hovercar but a giant robot, incorporating technologies leaked by Project Graviton. This has allowed him to keep pace with his fellows, but Ted fears that it's only going to get harder as time passes by.

Well. He knew the job was dangerous when he took it.

Blue Beetle -- PL 12

Abilities:
STR
10/2 | STA 3 | AGL 8/4 | DEX 4 | FGT 9/5 | INT 9 | AWE 4 | PRE 3

Powers:
BB Gun: Array (16 points); Easily Removable (-6 points)
  • Air Blast: Ranged Damage 8 - 16 points
  • Flashing Strobe: Cumulative Cone Area Affliction 8 (Resisted by Fortitude; Visually Impaired, Visually Disabled, Visually Unaware), Limited to One Sense - 1 point
  • Air Burst: Linked Ranged Damage 4; Linked Move Object 8, Limited to moving away - 1 point
Costume: Enhanced Agility 4; Enhanced Fighting 4; Feature 1 (camera); Immunity 1 (visual sense effects); Senses 4 (analytical visual, extended visual, low-light vision); Removable (-4 points) - 18 points

Advantages:
Agile Feint, All-out Attack, Benefit 4 (Multi-Millionaire), Contacts, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 25, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Inventor, Move-by Action, Power Attack, Redirect, Taunt, Uncanny Dodge.

Equipment:
The Bug - 118 points
* Broadcaster: Selective Area Radio Communication 2 - 12 points
* Electromagnetic Bolts: Ranged Damage 10, Accurate 4 - 24 points
* Geomagnetic Thrusters: Flight 11 (4000 MPH), Aquatic - 23 points
* Huge Robot: Features 3 (space for 8 passengers); Permanent Growth 8 (Strength +8, Protection +8, Intimidation +4, Speed +1, Dodge -4, Parry -4, Stealth -8), Innate, Quirk (no Fortitude bonus); Immunity 10 (life support); Impervious Toughness 8 - 45 points
* Sensors: Senses 14 (extended accurate radio, extended accurate hearing 3, extended vision 1, infrared vision, radius vision, ultrasonic hearing, ultraviolet vision) - 14 points

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+12/+8), Athletics 8 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+12/+8), Deception 7 (+10), Expertise: Science 4 (+13), Insight 4 (+8), Intimidation 6 (+9), Investigation 2 (+11), Perception 6 (+10), Ranged Attack: BB Gun 10 (+14), Sleight of Hand 6 (+10), Stealth 4 (+12/+8/+4/+0) Technology 6 (+15), Vehicles 8 (+12).

Offense:
Initiative +8
Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 10/2)
Air Blast +14 (Ranged Damage 8)
Air Burst +14 (Ranged Damage 4)
Flashing Strobe -- (Cone Area Affliction 8, Resisted by Dodge)
Electromagnetic Bolts +12 (Ranged Damage 10)

Defense:
Dodge 12/8/8/4, Parry 12/8/8/4, Fortitude 6, Toughness 16/11/8/3, Will 9.

Totals:
Abilities 68 + Powers 30 + Advantages 52 + Skills 39 + Defenses 23 = 212 points

Defensive PL: 12
Resistance PL: 8
Skill PL: 10

Complications:
Responsibility--Motivation. Aging. Easily Smitten. Friend (Booster.) Professional (Owner of Kord Enterprises.)
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Knight
His steed

Some legacies, however heroic, are tainted. For a time, Dane Whitman, the latest and likely last bearer of the Ebony Blade, believed that he had banished the darkness that clung to his heritage and could bear the name "Black Knight" as a badge of honor. And to a degree, he still believes that. But it is a sadder and much diminished world than the one his blade was forged to protect, and he remains mindful of that.

Long ago in a distant land, the first Black Knight, Sir Percy of Scandia, was given the Ebony Blade by Merlin to act as a secret champion of King Arthur's court. The Blade, fashioned from meteoric iron, was enchanted so that nothing could claim the life of the one who wielded it save for a weapon of the same material. Sadly, despite his valor, Sir Percy was unable to prevent the flaws in Camelot from resulting in its downfall, and was slain in the aftermath of the Wicked Day, supposedly by Mordred. (Though as other chronicles claim that Mordred died in battle with Arthur, this account is suspicious.)

At some point in the centuries afterward, Sir Percy's descendants escaped from the otherworld where Camelot existed and came to the real world's Britain, around the same time, perhaps not coincidentally, that the stories of King Arthur began to flourish there. (Some have said that Sir Thomas Malory himself was a descendant of this line.) They brought the Ebony Blade with them, and many of them sought to use it to uphold the virtues of Camelot on this new world. Unfortunately, they remained prey to both the vices of that world and of this one as well, and many of them would use the Blade for fell purposes.

Dane Whitman only learned of all of this twenty-six years ago, when he was summoned to the bedside of his dying uncle, who had been a supervillain without using the Ebony Blade. With some hesitation, Dane took up the sword and tried to use it to redeem his family heritage, ultimately succeeding in doing so -- for a time. He viewed himself as an unlikely hero, the only scientist in the world with a magic sword (though he would later learn that there were others, which was not much of a comfort, really.) Yet he served bravely and well alongside the Avengers through some of the darkest days that the group ever faced.

And then, Götterdämmerung. The struggle was a personal one for Dane, fighting alongside the legends of Camelot and trying to save even one more life from the incineration that enveloped all the mystical and mythical realms. In the end, he was thought to have fallen in battle, and was mourned by his friends and teammates. But then word came of a knight with his banner all bravely unfurled still fighting with a black blade in what remained of the ruins of Faerie, and those same friends dared to hope.

Ironically, when he was finally returned to Earth two years ago by the Justice League, they were hoping to rescue Sir Justin, the Shining Knight, now believed to have truly perished. Nevertheless, Dane sought to repay his rescuers by fighting alongside them for a time, while planning to return to the Avengers. But he has since found himself uncertain about what the Sentinel of Liberty has become since he stopped championing the American Dream and become it, and what the years since have done to others among his allies increases his discomfort. For now, he has chosen remain with the Justice League.

Of course, Dane realizes that he has changed as much if not more. Countless battles have left their mark, and he now speaks little and lets his actions communicate for him. While still a scientist at heart, he has grown used to a life without most modern conveniences, and often goes without them. He has also learned far more about magic than he ever did before, and while the ritual that he uses most often is one to reunite him with the Blade when it goes missing, he can and does use other sorts when needed.

While he will bring up details about foes that he faced when they are pertinent, he doesn't usually talk about what he experienced on his journeys through the wreckage of the imaginary nations. Once only, when asked about the enchantment on his sword, he said this: "The blade is enchanted so that I cannot die by any means save a weapon of the same make. I can be harmed, maimed, but so long as the blade's hilt remains clasped in my hand, even if that hand no longer connects to my body, I shall not die.

"No matter how much I might have at times wished it."

The Black Knight -- PL 12

Abilities:
STR
3 | STA 4 | AGL 3 | DEX 3 | FGT 11 | INT 7 | AWE 4 | PRE 3

Powers:
Enchanted Armor: Immunity 3 (aging, disease, poison); Impervious Protection 6; Impervious Will 8; Removable (-4 points) - 19 points
The Ebony Blade: Easily Removable (-28 points)
* The Bane: Nullify Magic 10, Broad (Magic), Close - 20 points
* The Blade: Strength-based Damage 5, Improved Critical 2, Penetrating 4 - 11 points
* The Blessing: Immortality 20 (1 round), Quirk (not if killed by a weapon of similar material) - 39 points
Unfazeable: Immunity 5 (emotion effects) - 5 points

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Favored Foe (demons), Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Jack-of-all-trades, Power Attack, Precise Attack (close/concealment), Ritualist, Sidekick 16, Startle, Takedown, Tracking, Weapon Bind.

Skills:
Athletics 8 (+11), Close Combat: Sword 3 (+14), Expertise: Magic 10 (+13), Expertise: Science 5 (+12), Insight 8 (+12), Intimidation 10 (+13), Perception 6 (+10), Persuasion 8 (+11).

Offense:
Initiative +7
Unarmed +11 (Close Damage 3)
Blade of the Ebony Blade +14 (Close Damage 8)
Bane of the Ebony Blade +14 (Close Nullify Magic 10)

Defense:
Dodge 10, Parry 12, Fortitude 6, Toughness 12/10/6/4, Will 12

Totals:
Abilities 76 + Powers 66 + Advantages 33 + Skills 29 + Defenses 17 = 221 points

Defensive PL: 12
Resistance PL: 9
Skill PL: 8

Complications:
Duty--Motivation. Stoic and Reserved. Unfamiliar With Modern Technology.

Earendil -- PL 9

Abilities:
STR
6 | STA 8 | AGL 3 | DEX 0 | FGT 6 | INT -2 | AWE 3 | PRE 0

Powers:
Barding: Impervious Protection 4; Removable (-1 point) - 7 points
Hooves: Strength-based Damage 2 - 2 points
Horsesense: Senses 3 (extended vision 2, low-light vision) - 3 points
Large Size: Permanent Growth 4 (Strength +4, Stamina +4, Intimidation +2, Dodge -2, Parry -2, Stealth -4), Innate - 13 points
Wings: Flight 6 (120 MPH), Winged - 11 points

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative.

Skills:
Intimidation 2 (+4), Perception 2 (+5).

Offense:
Initiative +7
Bite +6 (Close Damage 6)
Hooves +6 (Close Damage 8)

Defense:
Dodge 4, Parry 6, Fortitude 10, Toughness 12/8, Will 6.

Totals:
Abilities 32 + Powers 31 + Advantages 3 + Skills 2 + Defenses 10 = 78 points

Offensive PL: 7
Defensive PL: 9
Resistance PL: 8
Skill PL: 0

Complications:
Duty--Motivation. He's A Horse, Of Course.