Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Whiplash! Masters of Silence! Ironheart- Riri Williams!)

Post by Ares »

These guys seem like a fun bunch, a group of sci-fi military types who can hold their own against a high powered hero through tactics, planning and teamwork, AND who are smart enough to know when to bail. Seem like a good "worthy foe" type of bad guys who should have been used more often. It'd actually be interesting if they have a harder time with street level heroes who won't underestimate them the way Iron Man or other high powered types might.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Boobytrap

Post by Jabroniville »

BOOBYTRAP (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Kurt Busiek & Sean Chen
First Appearance: Iron Man #1 (Feb. 1998)
Role: Mercenary, The Affliction Guy
Group Affiliations: The Death Squad
PL 7 (94)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 5 (+6)
Insight 1 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 8 (Arsenal), Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Guns" Blast 4 (8)
"Automatic Weapons" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (11)
"Landmines" Blast 8 (Feats: Triggered- Proximity) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (24)
"Glue Grenades" Snare 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (31)
"Grapple-Wire" Swinging (2)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Guns +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Automatic Weapons +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The Death Squad are mercenaries.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (94)

-Boobytrap is an interesting one- one of the few villains out there set up almost entirely for "Afflictions"- tripping up the foe instead of hogging the glory. Though he also threw down a lot of landmines, he also used "Glue Grenades", which gummed up Iron Man's boot-jets, ensuring the Death Squad's escape.
Shock

Post by Shock »

You gotta love the effort put into these guys. It takes a special amount of "I got nothing" to name a guy Rocket Launcher.
Jabroniville

Smokescreen (Mercenary)

Post by Jabroniville »

Is she... covered in fishnets?

SMOKESCREEN II (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Kurt Busiek & Sean Chen
Role: Mercenary, Sense-Taker
PL 7 (95)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 1 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 5 (+9)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 7 (Arsenal), Evasion, Ranged Attack 7, Set-Up, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Guns" Blast 4 (8)
"Automatic Weapons" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (11)
"Grenades" Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (17)
"Blackout Bombs" Concealment (All Vision) 4 (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (20)
"Grapple-Wire" Swinging (2)

Offense:
Guns +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Automatic Weapons +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (95)

-Like Boobytrap, Smokescreen is there to help out the rest of the team, and mess up others, setting them up for more punishment. Her abilities let her baffle sensors, and she had things like blackout bombs and smoke grenades to cover escapes or her team moving into position.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:43 pm You gotta love the effort put into these guys. It takes a special amount of "I got nothing" to name a guy Rocket Launcher.
Must be a soldier thing, lol- their whole conceit is being quick and practical, so they're not even wearing fancy costumes or given fancy names. Just enough to technically count as super-villains.
Jabroniville

Airborne

Post by Jabroniville »

AIRBORNE II (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Kurt Busiek & Sean Chen
Role: Mercenary, The Getaway
PL 8 (106)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 1 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment (Radio, etc.), Improved Aim, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Airborne Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [29]
Protection 2 (2)
Flight 10 (2,000 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (10)
Enhanced Defenses 2 (4)

"Twin Laser Cannons" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18) -- (20)
  • AE: "Light Missiles" Blast 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (18)
  • AE: "Grapple-Wire" Swinging (2)
-- (36 points)

Offense:
Laser Cannons +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Light Missiles +6 Area (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+10 Armor, DC 18-20), Parry +8 (+10 Armor, DC 18-20), Toughness +4 (+6 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 7 (106)

-Airborne is fighting in a smaller, lighter version of the MACH-I armor Abe Jenkins wore- a winged powersuit that enables quick getaways. When the fight goes against the Death Squad, Firefight orders everyone to hook their grapples to her- she then flies off with the entire group, faster than Iron Man can follow. Busiek gave it his trademark attention to detail, pointing out that she was able to be faster than Iron Man because her suit was far lighter and less durable (though given how both use rockets, I'm not sure how like... 100 lbs. of armor can make a difference).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

IRON MAN BUILDS FINISHED:
-And with that, IIIIIIIIIII AMMMMMMMM DONNNNNNNNNNNNNE! The Iron Man builds are over! There's still a handful of Marvel guys left to post onto Echoes, but this is by far the biggest project left, so I'm really happy to have my archives so complete. It ended up taking about a month to do, which is pretty solid for a guy who was solidly B-Tier for almost his entire existence until the Robert Downey Jr. movie came out.

What's funny is this wasn't even all his baddies, as I got the various Crimson Dynamos & Titanium Mans done previously:
The Crimson Dynamo I (Vanko)
The Crimson Dynamo II (Turgenov)
The Crimson Dynamo III (Nevsky/Niven)
The Crimson Dynamo IV (Petrovich)
The Crimson Dynamo V (Bukharin)
The Crimson Dynamo VI (Shatalov)
The Crimson Dynamo VII (Valski)
The Crimson Dynamo VIII (Gavrilov)
The Crimson Dynamo IX (Mercenary)
The Crimson Dynamo X (Bank Robber)
The Crimson Dynamo XI (Cold War)
The Crimson Dynamo XII (Vadim)
The Crimson Dynamo XIII (Nemirovsky)
The Crimson Dynamo XIV (Levi)
Titanium Man I (Boris Bullski)
Titanium Man II (Gremlin)
Titanium Man III+ (One-Offs)

But this was a fun ol' set to do- lots of distinctive recurring villains, I got to dig into all the various "Evil Corporate Rival" guys (from manipulators like Stane to more generic "leads from his base" menaces like Justin Hammer), the odd bunch of Legacy Characters who'd popped up, all the Stark Industries supporting characters (though minor names, I always feel that doing the supporting cast helps "complete" a guy- Tom DeFalco said that all supporting cast members should inform something about the hero).

Some guys humorously had little to do with Tony and I'd forgotten, so I coulda just posted Cobalt Man & Coldblood way back when I did the "C" builds for Marvel. There was a lotta Powersuit guys in here, naturally (I mean, Tony has an entire event devoted to beating on them), forgotten weirdos like The Melter & The Unicorn, and some more Generic Filler Villains like Whiplash (who was always kind of a small player for an ancient Iron Man foe). And then THE MANDARIN, one of the very biggest Marvel characters I'd yet to post to Echoes. After Tony, Rhodey & Mandarin I really have no major guys left (apologies to the fans of the Agents of Atlas).

Humorously, in fixing old image links on my builds I noticed that people were REALLY expectant of Iron Man popping up in my "Avengers" build-set, I guess because I'd neglected to mention that him & Cap were expected to wait a bit because they had their own "universes" of builds to do as well, as my intent with the Avengers was to post all the associated characters attached to everyone after posting them. In checking anticipation, it seemed Cap was a bit ahead of Iron Man so I did him first... then Tony just sat here for AGES because in every subsequent poll, he'd do worse than like... Batman or Green Lantern or whomever!
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

I've always thought the original Firebrand should have been used more, as a fight-the-Man type against the tool of the Man. He could have been teamed the Ghost, Angar the Screamer, maybe Coat of Arms. Alas, he was killed after a handful of appearances, and the successors to the name are more focused on being pyromaniacs than activists.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Jabroniville

Bucky O’Hare and the Toad Wars

Post by Jabroniville »

"BUCKY!! Bucky O'Hare!
Goes where no ordinary rabbit would dare!"

BUCKY O'HARE:

-One of many would-be "TMNT Killers" of the '90s was Bucky O'Hare & The Toad Wars, which was certainly one of the more well-made examples, probably owing to the talents of its creators and the open-ended concept. Alas, for a variety of reasons, the project would always fail, often due to reasons beyond their control.

Bucky, a green rabbit in a very "Star Wars"-esque universe comprised of talking animal-people (anthropomorphic media was very common, especially at this point), was invented between 1977 & 1978 by comics folk Larry Hama & Michael Golden, and debuted in comic form in a 1984 anthology Echo of Futurepast. It starred a ragtag band of adventurers, Star Wars-style, who opposed an evil empire (again, Star Wars-style). In the story, the "inept" United Animals Federation faces the evil Toad Empire, ruled by KOMPLEX, a vast computer system that controls the daily lives of the lazy, stupid toads. The Toad Empire is expansionist and dangerous, while Bucky is a brave, noble spacefaring hero in his ship, The Righteous Indignation. His teammates include Blinky the one-eyed robot, Bruiser the Betelgeusan Berserker Baboon, Jenny the psionic-powered catgirl, Willy DuWitt the pre-teen human from our dimension (who'd ended up stranded in Bucky's universe), and Deadeye Duck (a grizzled, four-armed space pirate). Enemies include Air Marshall Toad (a ruthless but simple-minded head bad guy led by KOMPLEX), the giant Toadborg (a bad-ass cyborg), Al Negator (a mercenary alligator), and legions of Storm Toads.

Six issues of the early comic was released, and five years later, a cartoon was developed- in 1984, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were a brand-new thing, also an indie comic about anthro animals, but by 1991, they were a multimedia smash hit the likes of which have rarely ever been seen, and countless imitators and would-be "TMNT Killers" were created. As this was an existing property, and Hama was by this point the writer of the fabulous G.I. Joe comic book series and had the chops of the successful "Joe" line of toys to his credit, it seemed like a dream for toy-makers.

However, Larry Hama has explained, the toys were a bust. Foolish toymakers accidentally under-produced the hero figures and rerleased them in equal numbers to the lamer, generic "Toad Soldier" and Toad Air Marshall figures, spamming toy-shelves with enemy designs that no kid would really want:
Larry Hama: Pretty disappointed that we couldn't get to a second season. All the result of a shipping and distribution error in getting the toy assortments to the stores that first Christmas. The assortments went out with the same number of Bucky figures as let's say the Toad Air Marshal. That's nuts. The Bucky figures disappeared immediately, and all that was left on the racks were Air Marshals, and Toad Troopers. There should have been twice as many Buckys and Willies.

So with kids faced with endless hordes of Mook toys instead of the COOL figures they actually wanted (Toadborg, Bruiser and others were harder to find), mostly ignored the toyline, resulting in an early death for both the cartoon (only 13 episodes were completed) and the re-released comic (which had been expanded to include more art, but was cancelled before the last issue came out, also cancelling a second Bucky arc Hama had written). A UK-only comic was released with the show's UK debut, running for just under a year- it reprinted some stuff and added others. Unreleased toys include Jenny, Sky Leezard, Tri-Bot and a few others, as the second line of toys was axed.

The cartoon changed only a few things- early crewmate Bruce (Bruiser's brother) was killed in the comics, but merely "exiled to an alternate dimension" in the opening of the cartoon. Willy DuWitt could freely travel between Earth and what was now called "The Aniverse", rather than being stranded there. The Toads were willing followers of KOMPLEX rather than brainwashing victims, too. A nigh-omnipotent mouse character was dropped, and Deadeye was now Southern instead of Scottish. Neal Adams, a popular comic book artist, did some of the art and even wrote the final episode.

Video games proved to be maybe the most successful aspects of the franchise- an excellent NES game and an arcade release came out in 1992- the latter is a "Run 'n' Gun" game with Bucky, Jenny, Deadeye & Blinky playable. The NES version started with Bucky, who could then rescue his crewmates (save Bruiser, who again was missing from this game), at which point they would be playable. Boss Figures released an updated, deluxe toyline in 2017.

I was a HUGE fan of Bucky in 1991- being ten years old, I thought Bruiser the Berserker Baboon was EPIC (as always, I adored the "Big Guy" charaters, being a skinny short kid), and Toadborg was one of my favorite "Cool Villains", being this sinister, menacing figure in a legion of goober cowards. And "Deadeye Duck" remains one of the most bad-ass "rolls off the tongue" names EVER. I recall owning at least Bruiser and Toadborg as toys (Bruiser was maybe my favorite- he was BIG), plus Bucky I think. I'd never seen the video games, and the cartoon didn't last long, but I saw many episodes of it (sadly missing the "Bruiser/Toadborg Fight" one).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Riri Williams! Death Squad! Bucky O’Hare!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Oh yeah! I haven't seen that much of the cartoon or the comics, but I've played both of the video games, and own a couple of the toys. I think I have an Al Negator somewhere, a Commander Dogstar, a Toad Trooper with one of the vehicles..
Shock

Post by Shock »

I had no idea Bucky O'Hare was a Larry Hama creation. Would've been funny to ask him about it at the con last weekend.
You'd think "psionic powered catgirl" would be prime material for a revival these days.
OwOMotaros

Post by OwOMotaros »

I don't really have much experience with the series outside of the Death Battle between him and Fox McCloud, so I'm excited to see what these builds are like.
Jabroniville

Bucky O'Hare

Post by Jabroniville »

BUCKY O'HARE
Created By:
Larry Hama & Michael Golden
First Appearance: Echo of Futurepast #1 (May 1984)
Role: Spacefaring Skillmonkey, Daring Rabbit, Funky-Fresh Rabbit
Group Affiliations: The United Animals Federation, The Righteous Indignation
PL 8 (142)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Space Soldier) 8 (+11)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Stealth 5 (+10)
Technology 5 (+8)
Vehicles 6 (+12)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment 6 (Laser Guns +5), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Blasters), Improved Defenses, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Leadership, Luck, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Takedown 2, Teamwork

Powers:
"Warrenian Physiology"
Burrowing 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blasters +11 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Enemy (The Toad Empire)- Bucky's home planet of Warren was conquered by the Toad Empire, and is freed in the final episode.
Responsibility (The United Animals Federation)- Bucky is the best warrior of the UAF, devoted to stopping Toad encroachment on the rest of the universe.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 25 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 15 (142)

-Bucky O'Hare is the hero of the franchise, but is actually the least-interesting character of the group in terms of standing out- his allies include a human being from Earth, a giant ape, a cat with psychic powers, an android and an insane four-armed space pirate duck. A mere green rabbit is just... so very plain by comparison. Bucky is forceful, competent and friendly, at least, and a good leader to his crew- containing all those wild personalities has got to be challenging, yet he has both their trust and their admiration. Bucky has a somewhat-love interest in Mimi LaFloo, a fox who led a prison revolt against the Toads and was rescued by Bucky- she kissed him when he recommended her for command of her own vessel (The Screaming Mimi), and is later shown as somewhat shy towards her.

-Determining Power Levels can be a bit tricky- both Deadeye & Bruiser were notably more offensively powerful than Bucky. In the end, I chose to make him lower-level offensively but the most capable defensive fighter, as well as the best overall strategist and skill guy. Bucky is a PL 8 Blaster with PL 8 dodging ability.
Jabroniville

Blinky

Post by Jabroniville »

"Calamity and Woe!"

ANDROID FIRST CLASS BLINKY
Created By:
Larry Hama & Michael Golden
First Appearance: Echo of Futurepast #1 (May 1984)
Role: Robot Buddy, The Cute One, The Worry-Wart
Group Affiliations: The United Animals Federation, The Righteous Indignation
PL 6 (105)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+5)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Housekeeping) 2 (+6)
Expertise (History) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Space Adventurer) 4 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 3 (+6)
Technology 6 (+10)
Vehicles 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Lasers +4), Jack-Of-All-Trades, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Teamwork, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Android"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 4 [4]
Communication (Technology) 3 (Extras: Area) [12]
Quickness 2 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Tasks) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Lasers +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +4, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (The United Animals Federation)- Blinky defends the UAF along with his friends.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 47 / Defenses: 8 (105)

-Blinky is a cycloptean android who aides the team, spouting his catchphrase of "Calamity & Woe!". He's apparently good an "infiltration and cyberwarfare", and can link up to computers, but is one of the weakest of the crew in battle. Otherwise he's a housekeeper and "General Information" guy, knowing lots of stuff that can then be explained to other characters.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

I have the Blinky action figure.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.