She Hulk Attorney at law

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
catsi563

She Hulk Attorney at law

Post by catsi563 »

Saw it and LOVED IT.

So much fun and lots of room to grow

cant wait for the next episode
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Re: She Hulk Attorney at law

Post by Davies »

My reaction to the Hulk fight: "Ah, Bruce, why can't you just admit that you're lonely?"
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

I think one of the best moments was when the episode went full circle and meta in one shot
Spoiler
Jen at the start builds the show by 4th wall break as a ""lawyer Show"" No hulk stuff

then we get the full origin story montage flashback which ends with her emphasizing how shes not been Hulkish

Lawyer show'

only for her to go She hulk in the end because HULK SHOW

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Its a fun show so far. The MCU is following an interesting path where it's all one universe, but not all the same tone or feel. Even films in the same series are different in tone and feel sort of. Xmen, DCEU, etc all established universes, but all the movies felt the same thing. Action, super heroes, and humour mixed in. Even the shows base don Xmen universe felt the same.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Spoiler
Not a fan of how Jen is instantly better than Bruce at absolutely everything.
But otherwise, I enjoyed it, and will be back for episode 2.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jack of Spades wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:54 pm
Spoiler
Not a fan of how Jen is instantly better than Bruce at absolutely everything.
But otherwise, I enjoyed it, and will be back for episode 2.
Eh, he's still stronger. She doesn't have the split personality and likely did yoga before (thus the pretzel pose now that her body can handle it). I honestly think a major part of the arguments about their argument is the assumption that either one of them is supposed to be right. Rather, they both have some very good points.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Yeah, it’s pretty clear Jen isn’t nearly as strong (Bruce knocks her back dozens of feet with one clap, holds her back with one hand, etc.), AND he’s a scientific genius. She’s more athletic and limber, and doesn’t have the split personality. Which does raise the most problematic issue, her whole “I can manage anger better as a woman” speech; leaving aside that the cause of Bruce’s transformation was far more intense, if MCU Bruce has the same background as Marvel U Banner, he had a VERY traumatizing childhood. Wouldn’t Jen know this? Or was she just reacting to feeling patronized?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:55 pm Which does raise the most problematic issue, her whole “I can manage anger better as a woman” speech; leaving aside that the cause of Bruce’s transformation was far more intense, if MCU Bruce has the same background as Marvel U Banner, he had a VERY traumatizing childhood. Wouldn’t Jen know this? Or was she just reacting to feeling patronized?
Does it matter?
Spoiler
Equating "cat-calls", "man-splaining" and being called "emotional" to what Bruce has been through is just . . . ludicrous.

Bruce Banner spent years, maybe a decade, on the run from a relentless US military that wanted to turn him into a biological weapon. He lived with the knowledge that any time his heart rate increased (not just anger or fear, but any kind of elevated heart-rate) could turn him into an 8 foot tall rage monster with the power to destroy entire cities. He spent all of his time desperately searching for a cure, living in some of the worst parts of the world, learning how to control the monster inside of him. He faced betrayal, attempts on his life, the risk of his freedom, all while constantly fearing that one heart-beat too many would result in the kind of death and destruction you only see during wartime.

And then, when he got so low he couldn't see a way out, he tried to kill himself. The Hulk wouldn't even give him that measure of control over his life.

So he went to the worst parts of the world and tried to help, to find some flavor of redemption, only to get dragged into a world where, after more betrayal, he was able to put the Hulk to a positive use by at least being able to direct it at bad people. Until that gets taken away by Wanda and he becomes the thing he always feared: a city destroying monster that was only stopped by the intervention of his friends. He was so traumatized he opted to leave the planet rather than risk hurting anyone. And then Bruce spent years trapped in the Hulk while the Hulk fought in daily death matches. He barely escapes, finds a new purpose with Thor . . . and then Thanos shows up.

The Hulk is handed his most humiliating defeat to date. Then Bruce is unable to stop Thanos from killing half the universe. And he's so traumatized by this that he goes back to the lab and makes the Hulk, this thing he's fought for years, a permanent part of himself, all in an effort to atone and get some control of his life back. And he does. He finally is at a point where has at least some control over his life, even if he still needs to keep that anger in check.

But Jen clearly has had to control her anger "infinitely more than Bruce", and is thus infinitely better at it. Said while getting angry. And after almost killing several men in a fit of rage.

Maybe the series will be about Jen realizing how privileged she actually is ("Oh, so I'm better than you?"), gaining a little humility and empathy, realizing what those "narcissists and billionaires, and adult orphans" have gone through to save the world, to not virgin-shame Steve Rogers, etc.

But I won't be surprised if this goes the Carol Danvers route of "I'm already perfect and everyone needs to just get out of my way".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ares, even without bringing the “politically correct” aspects up, Marvel has been doing this sort of thing for years now in the movies, leaning into cheap, irreverent laughs, often delivered at the expense of characters who have just gone through a terrible toll; Banner falling asleep while his best friend Tony was talking about PTSD experiences in Iron Man 3, alt-timeline Freya telling Thor to “eat a salad”, immediately after speaking with the clearly despairing version of her son…as if the snarky humor that worked in the first two IM movies and GotG needed to be shoehorned in, even if completely wrong for the characters and tone, clearly taking the wrong lesson.

All my best.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ares wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:32 pm
greycrusader wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:55 pm Which does raise the most problematic issue, her whole “I can manage anger better as a woman” speech; leaving aside that the cause of Bruce’s transformation was far more intense, if MCU Bruce has the same background as Marvel U Banner, he had a VERY traumatizing childhood. Wouldn’t Jen know this? Or was she just reacting to feeling patronized?
Does it matter?
Spoiler
Maybe the series will be about Jen realizing how privileged she actually is ("Oh, so I'm better than you?"), gaining a little humility and empathy, realizing what those "narcissists and billionaires, and adult orphans" have gone through to save the world, to not virgin-shame Steve Rogers, etc.

But I won't be surprised if this goes the Carol Danvers route of "I'm already perfect and everyone needs to just get out of my way".
I was actually discussing Captain Marvel when the movie first came out with a female acquaintance (the manager of my then-local comics shop); she was very much a fan, because she felt Carol DID go through a journey in the film, overcoming gaslighting and the subsequent loss of her own identity (note: this gets into the whole academic discussion of whether the "hero's journey" template is too narrow, as many female scholars dispute its applicability to women protagonists...but I digress), and THAT was her character growth.

While I did see her point, the problem is the character never comes off as less then aggressively confident, with the only limitation being brainwashed into believing her powers are external to her...and that is a result of the accident that gave her powers and robbed Carol of her memories. It wasn't a scenario where she surrendered her autonomy and lost confidence. There's also the whole issue of people blending Brie Larson's public persona with Carol, and Marvel's endless pushing of Captain Marvel, neither of which helps the perception.

I likely would stand by my point in my prior post, which is that She-Hulk may end up suffering more from Marvel's recent hard turn into snarky, callous jokes at the expense of character, with a dash of over-correction from a company which gave short-shrift to female heroes for a good chunk of time.

All my best.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

2nd episode in the books

mostly exposition and a new job and of course the return of (redacted) some good fun and a nice easter egg shoutout to Nortons hulk and why ruffalo is now playing them

Catsi stories
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

We've been discussing the episode a bit on TV Tropes. A couple of people have commented that the new law firm is about cartoonishly evil as you can be without actually doing anything evil just yet.

My guess with (redacted) is that the footage was leaked intentionally to further the "not really in control of my actions" narrative.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

I actually wonder if the law firm will play into the Thunderbolts movie especially with both SWORD and DODC introduced as semi antagonists which could be used as the source of most of the villains for the thunderbolts program

Catsi stories
Harnos

Post by Harnos »

I watched the second episode too and it is a cringe fest overall. Honestly, the least cringe scenes are the ones where camera focused on feet.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH I LOVE this series

its so meta and SO MUCH Fun

third episode out

highlights
Spoiler

Shout out to Jens comic origins from a reporters question

THE WRECKING CREW!! and the hilarious meta joke about mugging an asguardian construction worker

Jen being good at her job which she is

WONNNNG!!

Catsi stories