[MM3]Sunstormers IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Neo-Paladin

Re: [MM3]Sunstormers IC

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Emily tries in vain to keep from staring after her before she finally manages to tear herself away and look around for something to do - which she quickly finds, disappearing into the crowd.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis returns to what she was doing before, and unless anything else interrupts her, continues working there until it's time to head off for her interview with Deborah.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

The day is busy but, besides a few scuffles that are quickly dealt with, uneventful. Khemis does have the opportunity to observe the rumor mill speeding up as the day progresses and more and more people with their own opinions about yesterday's events arrive...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Khemis keeps her ears open and tries to work out what the different major threads of opinion are...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

People are, understandably, worried. Most of them had been concerned with the issues of day-to-day living in a city that is only slowly regaining the use of its infrastructure. But yesterday has brought the existence of Sunstormers into a sharp and unavoidable focus. Most Sunstormers look like people...anyone could be one. What if another one just snaps?

There are a couple of people who try desperately to stay calm, stating that whatever happens, the city and, by extension, the country, has been through many hardships and there will be a solution to this problem, too. It sometimes sounds a bit forced.

There are a few who believe that Sunstormers have been chosen, that they will be the ones destined to fight the final battles of the End Times.

A few believe that they are an attempt by the Deep State to create superpowered puppets to enslave all other humans. They are among the ones who advocate to 'eliminate the problem'

And finally, there are the hopefuls who firmly believe that, where there are people like Harold, there have to be heroes as well. They will show up. For sure. Sooner or later. Eventually.
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Neo-Paladin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:11 pm There are a couple of people who try desperately to stay calm, stating that whatever happens, the city and, by extension, the country, has been through many hardships and there will be a solution to this problem, too. It sometimes sounds a bit forced.
Around these people Khemis tries to be as positive as possible, and reassure them that, yes, things are getting and will continue to get better.
Neo-Paladin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:11 pm There are a few who believe that Sunstormers have been chosen, that they will be the ones destined to fight the final battles of the End Times.
Khemis just avoids these people. That is a can of worms she is not willing to open right now...
Neo-Paladin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:11 pm A few believe that they are an attempt by the Deep State to create superpowered puppets to enslave all other humans. They are among the ones who advocate to 'eliminate the problem'
Khemis just acts normal around these people, and is polite if they become hostile to her.
Neo-Paladin wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:11 pm And finally, there are the hopefuls who firmly believe that, where there are people like Harold, there have to be heroes as well. They will show up. For sure. Sooner or later. Eventually.
Around these people Khemis tries to just be there and try to live what they are wanting to show up.
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Finally, the day passes and slowly, the crowds dissipate...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

Well, a bit before 2:30 Khemis heads off to her interview with Deborah. She arrives covered up in a burqa once again....

OOC: Though we could summarise the interview for speed if you want to move things along more...
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Tony Jones wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:03 pm OOC: Though we could summarise the interview for speed if you want to move things along more...
(ooc: That would be best. And it means I don't need to be good at coming up with interview questions. :) )
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

[OOC: Fair enough! In that case, what is the general thrust of the interview? What does Deborah want to find out/learn from Khemis?

Khemis in return wants to make it clear that no matter how strange they may look, or what their powers might be, Sunstormers are people too, and deserve to be treated as such. They are not monsters, and were definitely not created by the Deep State to enslave other people! She will talk about her experiences if asked, though not give too much away. And she will plug her social media streams if allowed...]
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

(ooc: So much for little back and forth. :) Yeah, Deborah wants to make sure the interview puts Sunstormers in the best light possible. So she'll probably emphasize that you had no choice in becoming what you became. That there's nothing inherently bad about having become a Sunstormer. And emphasize how much good you've been doing helping those less fortunate in this never ending winter. "When I was at the distribution center, I heard you've been there every day it seems." and off Khemis responds...)
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

[OOC: Yep, off she goes...

Here's some random bits (I wrote these a while ago and now's as good a time as any to get them out there!):
Khemis wrote:"Don't think I've taken becoming like this so calmly from the start! Because I freaked out with the best of them. Thought about going and hiding in a sewer somewhere and never coming out. But I thank God I am lucky enough to have friends who saw that inside I was still the person they knew before. That they were still there for me. I have nothing to be ashamed of that should make me want to skulk in the shadows."

"And because of that - because of them - I was able to calm down enough to think. I went to my mosque, read my Koran and prayed to Allah. Prayed a lot. And thanks be to Him, I gained some clarity. Allah has put me here, like this, for a reason."
Khemis wrote:"I may be ... different ... now. But as far as I can see I also cannot be cold any more. And out there are people who are both cold and hungry. Allah has granted me these powers for a reason, as unworthy as I am. And so I must use them in accordance with His will. To do good in the world. To do His work. To help. And so here I am."
Khemis wrote:"I'm not saying Sunstormers are above the law. Or should be. Far from it! But the law as it stands is not enough. Or at least law enforcement as it stands is not enough. How would you arrest someone bulletproof with super-strength? Or who can fire lasers powerful enough to go through a tank? And how would you hold them if you did? Or would you have to execute them without trial? Extrajudicial killing? It's complicated! But something will need to to change. To adapt."

"Governments no longer have a monopoly on large scale deadly force. Like whatever happened to the Russian soldiers in Ukraine, or that God's Light man in Africa. And that is a problem. What if someone like that appeared here? Like Harold but on a larger scale? Whatever side of the political spectrum they were on, it would be a huge problem..."
]
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Nemesis was still close by and yet, she was in a myriad other places. Wherever her Darklight reached, there she would be, manifesting to her children, eager to put them on the right path. The path that would make them ready for their role in the conflict to come.
Time and time again, her children had been put down, locked away, slain, beaten...but this time was different. This world was so full of people. So laden with conflict. It was perfect.
Contrary to what her daughter had been so certain of, the Transcended One had no stake in this battle, beyond the feeble rules They had once set up to keep the universe in motion.
They had never barred her from enacting her will. Then again, They did not need to. After all, Nemesis was not alone. There was still the Other. And Her children were in motion, too. Soon, they would try and stop her. To keep the world pathetic. Weak.
But she had learned. The state of the world favored her. And she would make the best of it.
A few choice words whispered in the right ears and her hated sibling's progeny would die in a conflagration of hatred and blood. And their eons-old conflict would finally end.
Nemesis smiled.
There was a young, earnest man further south. He was one of hers, gifted with a glorious power. But he was conflicted, torn between his desires and what was expected from him. He had more than earned a visit from her, some guiding words. Casting one last glance at Khemis, she faded...
Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones »

OOC: Not at all ominous!

Back in the interview, as it proceeds, Khemis thinks hard to Deborah. *I have spoken with the woman of darkness today. And what she says is... concerning to say the least. But I would prefer to tell everyone at once. Do you know how we can set up a meeting with all of us?*
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Deborah doesn't respond to the mental statement and the interview continues to conclusion. When they finish, Deborah invites Khemis to her office and closes the door. "My staff won't barge in here. Anything interesting happen today?"