Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

General Butt-Fucking Naked

Post by Jabroniville »

GENERAL BUTT-FUCKING NAKED
Role:
The Villain
Group Affiliations: His Personal Army
PL 5 (54)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Military) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (AK-47- Multiattack Blast, Pistol), Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +4 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
AK-47 +4 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications:
Hatred (The Clitoris)- The General believes that Clitorii are "an abomination!", and enforces his will and terrorizes people by forcing their women to undergo painful circumcisions.
Responsibility (Coward)- The General is brave only because he has armed men beside him, and is feared by the people- if they no longer fear him, he loses his nerve.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (54)

-General Butt-Fucking Naked (so named because he likes to murder people, and bathe in their blood while "butt-FUCKING naked!") is the villain of the story- representative of the vicious warlords that are an epidemic in the poorer parts of Africa. Hilariously, HE IS BASED OFF OF A REAL PERSON: "General Butt Naked", a psychotic murderer who led an army to commit tens of thousands of deaths before he suddenly converted to Christianity in 1996 to become a preacher. This ended up creating a big debate over the nature of forgiveness (chiefly, how you can "get away" with so much slaughter and whether ANYTHING could absolve you, much less keep you out of prison).

-General Butt-Fucking Naked doesn't get any songs, but he drives a lot of the narrative, for his vicious thugs threaten to murder everyone in the village (he himself shoots a man in the forehead to prove that he means business), and he keeps the Mormon Missionaries away in their building at all times. And of course, because the creators were interested in the truth of Africa rather than just poking fun at them, he IS in fact based upon a real person- General Butt Naked was a nudist psychopath who claims to have killed over 20,000 people and engaged in human sacrifice and cannibalism. He later converted to The Book of Arnold and preaches against his old misdeeds in a hilarious bit in the final song, mimicking the opener- "HELLO... I am Elder Butt-Fucking Naked!". His final line in the play brings the house down so hard that they had to add a small break in the song just so the crowds could get it out of their system.
Jabroniville

Book of Mormon Songs

Post by Jabroniville »

The Song List:
Act One:

(the first three are more or less establishing bits to showcase the characters- they're probably the weakest songs of the whole thing- Stone & Parker say they basically wrote each song in order, and learned as they went along)
Hello- A bunch of dorky Elders recite the openings of the infamous "I would like to tell you about this amazing book" spiel of all Mormon Missionaries. The two main Elders are introduced- Price & Cunningham.
Two By Two- They each find out where they're going- Price REALLY prayed to get sent to his favorite place ("OLANDO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!"), but he & Cunningham are sent to Uganda.
You and Me (But Mostly Me)- Price's arrogance and Cunningham's toadying are played up.

(the songs get AMAZING here)
Hasa Diga Eebowai- The boys find out just HOW rought the Africans have it, and just WHAT they think of God.
Turn It Off- Elder McKinley describes how Mormons can simply "turn off" bad feelings "like a light switch". "Just find the box that's gay and *CRUSH IT!!!!!*" A hilariously-sad song that becomes funnier because it's all sad and true- self-imposed cluelessness. It was based off of the creators' trip to Utah, and meeting countless people working in restaurants who confessed to being both gay and Mormon and trying to defeat it.
I Am Here For You- Cunningham fawns over and protects Price from the harshness of their mission, and tries to cheer him up. Largely filler, but defines the characters.
All American Prophet- Price tells the villagers the tale of a Prophet with "A little DONNY OSMOND flare".
Sal Tlay Ka Siti- Nabalungi, inspired by the Mormons' tales of their homeland, basically sings the "I Want" song of the show about how much better she imagines life to be in this "Sal Tlay Ka Siti" in "Ooh-Tah". A showstopper.
Man Up- Cunningham, left alone, decides to "MAN UP!" and take inspiration from his pop culture heroes.

Act Two:
Making Things Up Again- A lone Cunningham rapidly changes the teachings of the Holy Book in order to fit exactly what's going on right now, while imagining his father scolding him for his lies.
Spooky Mormon Hell Dream- Price fears what all Mormons receive- the "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" that reminds him of his upcoming punishments for sinning. He meets Satan, Hitler, Genghis Khan, Jeffrey Dahmer and Johnny Cochrane, and is taunted with Starbucks coffee (a gag they don't explain, and non-Mormons often struggle to get).
I Believe- Price redoubles his efforts to convert others, and confronts the vicious General Butt-Fucking Naked. One of the best moments in the play is Price's one-man sway while holding hands with a General with the world's biggest "WTF?" expression on his face.
Baptize Me- Cunningham & Nabalungi sing a duet about her being baptized for the very first time that sound suspiciously like a metaphor for something else.
I Am Africa- The Elders now sing a song about how "We are AFRICA!", while the Ugandans are merely "Africans", while doing tribal dances.
Orlando- Price sings about his dreams.
Joseph Smith- American Moses- The tribe sings a song about Joseph Smith- learned from Cunningham's lessons- to the horrified Mission President and Elders (who had no idea what he was telling them- "Joseph Smith! Don't fuck the baby! Joseph Smith! Instead go and fuck this frog!").
Tomorrow Is a Latter Day/Hello/Finale- The thing wraps up with a series of callbacks and other songs.
Jabroniville

Hamilton

Post by Jabroniville »

"History has it's EYES... ON... YOUUUUUU..."

HAMILTON:

-Oh yeah, it's time.

So in 2015, one of the strangest ideas for a musical yet hit Broadway- Lin-Manuel Miranda's epic RAP musical Hamilton, based off of "The ten-dollar founding father" Alexander Hamilton. It was inspired by Miranda (a songwriter and performer) reading Ron Chernow's extensively-researched biography of Hamilton while on vacation from his hit musical In The Heights. LMM was struck by Hamilton's story and how it could potentially be compared to rap music and its own history- the story of a man brought down by "beef" and generally being a loudmouth who couldn't let things go. Hamilton was brilliant, tactical, persuasive, argumentative, hard-working ("How do you write like you're running out of time?"), lustful ("Martha Washington even named her feral TOMCAT after him!" Hamilton: "That's true!"- note: it actually wasn't), and... well, really good at making enemies. To the point where the recent Vice-President of the United States shot and killed him in a duel. ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

LMM cast the play with minorities in the roles as the founding fathers and main characters- attempting to show people of color that American history was relevant to them as well ("It's a way of pulling you into the story and allowing you to leave whatever cultural baggage you have about the founding fathers at the door. We're telling the story of old, dead white men but we're using actors of color, and that makes the story more immediate and more accessible to a contemporary audience.")- this sets up England as the enemy (the only Caucasian role that sings is King George- whites are otherwise only seen in the ranks of the background singers and a handful of people with a few lines). Genres are crossed as well- though rap is most commonly used (especially by Hamilton himself), there's bits of '90s pop (most of Eliza's songs), a more gospel-themed song from the serious George Washington, and more.

Act One is set in the Revolutionary Era- a scrappy young bastard, son of a whore named Hamilton arrives in the critical founding of America, swiftly befriending a band of revolutionaries and ending up as the right hand man of The General himself, Washington. Loudmouthed but great in front of a crowd, Hamilton becomes a sensation, shockingly settles down and gets married, and sees American founded. Act Two is set afterwards during the next few administrations, and time travels quickly- Hamilton is pulled away from his family to serve the General once more in his new role as President, while the principal allies from the first act now have their actors re-cast as a combination of allies and enemies- particularly Thomas Jefferson, most vocal adversary of Hamilton.

All across both acts, Alexander struggles with family obligations and develops a strong rivalry with frustrating "ally" Aaron Burr- a man as brilliant and persuasive as Hamilton, but afraid to show his hand or stick his neck out ("Talk LESS..." "What?" "SMILE MORE. Don't let them know what you're against or what you're for..."). The Burr role is so incredible and actorly- LMM initially couldn't decide on playing Hamilton or Burr- ultimately, he chose the more "energetic" character but one that required less raw acting power. Instead of being the force of nature Hamilton is, Burr says he's "Lying in wait!", making political advantages and making allies while going with the winds and not taking risks. He grows incredibly frustrated with Hamilton's "relentless uphill climb" and how easy things come to him despite all his risks, and when you see the play live, you can see the actor just SEETHING every time he's passed over for something he feels entitled to.

The show in person is remarkable. Though as always I get shocked when I see how rapid-fire they have to deal with things- the play covers 20-30 years of time, so things get skipped over. The "Original Broadway Cast Album" is actually the ENTIRE SHOW, with all dialogue rapped or sung, so there's no quiet moments or things like that- Burr, our narrator, does the closest thing by singing exposition at times. They do the old "rapid-fire relationship" stuff- Alexander meets Eliza and we get a song about their love, then her sister's own take on the situation (Angelica Schuyler is an incredibly fascinating character who shocked me by only getting a single song and a few bits in others, despite seeming like a full character), then a bit raising & teaching their son, then a vicious takedown of Alexander after he "ruined our lives!" and finally mostly side stuff focused on Alexander himself over the death of their son and reconnecting afterwards. Like, you get a FULL STORY, and it's a testament to LMM that even characters with 10-15 minutes of stage-time feel like well-rounded individuals.

The characters are remarkable, though, and there's something for everyone. Eliza's songs are pop & peppy in one song, and a show-stopping heartbreaker in another. Angelica & Lafayette get super-fast raps. Angelica longs for Hamilton but can't have him, and falls on her sword so her sister can be happy ("I will choose her happiness over mine every time!"). Alexander is arrogant and mouthy even while he's a genius, making fast enemies. Jefferson is a loudmouth back, but the hilarious Madison, seemingly his sidekick & subordinate, is always quick to make agreements that help everyone. Politicians love "The Room Where it Happened", said to be the most accurate thing about politics- all this public stuff, but the real deals happen in back boardrooms where only a few people get to be. Burr seems indecisive and predatory from the outside, but you see him boiling over with emotions as things happen around him and he gets increasingly covetous. The wordplay is incredible throughout, with some absolutely classic lines and a ton of bangers.

Changing History:
-Despite having Chernow on staff as historical advisor, LMM admittedly changed things to suit the story. To be expected in a 2.5-hour show, especially when you needed a singular narrative and the second act takes place over two decades.

* Hamilton & Burr were not as intertwined in the early days- this was naturally to create the narrative leading to a semi-adversarial first meeting ending with Hamilton's death. He also wasn't Charles Lee's second in his duel with Laurens (whom Hamilton seconded), nor was he approached by Hamilton to write The Federalist Papers to defend the new U.S. Constitution to the public.
* Hamilton meets his friends early on- he met most after working with Washington.
* Hamilton's opposition to slavery is probably overstated- his father-in-law and boss both owned slaves, and he never did "write essays against slavery" like one song indicates. This is doubtlessly to make him more sympathetic, especially compared to Jefferson ("A civics lesson from a slaver- hey, neighbor! Your debts are paid because you don't pay for labor!"). However, the real Hamilton made moves to end the international slave trade, campaigned against Southern pro-slave policies, and more.
* Not only is Angelica Schuyler's relationship with Hamilton exaggerated a bit, but some of her reasons for disregarding him as a suitor weren't real- "My father has no sons" was untrue and she had two brothers who survived to adulthood. AND she was married before meeting him! LMM also switches who changes the meaning of a sentence completely by adding a comma after "My dearest" ("My dearest, Angelica")- 'twas Angelica who did it.
* The story about the tomcat is likely invented by possibly John Adams, and doesn't reflect 1800s stereotypes about tomcats. LMM makes no bones about it- he wanted to show Hamilton's peak cockiness.
* Hamilton was never confronted about his affair by his enemies- it was a bunch of guys who aren't named in the play. Hamilton had been publicly accused of the affair in public already, so The Reynolds Pamphlet didn't have the effect they did in the play.
* Alexander's son had a large bunch of siblings, including two brothers (no need for an "I want a little brother" line), and wasn't shot dishonorably in a duel- he and his opponent actually refused to fire for a full minute before Philip was shot.
* Burr & Hamilton's duel was not the result of the election of 1800 and Hamilton ruining Burr's chances- Burr did become Jefferson's Vice-President but Jerrerson declined to run with him for reelection in 1804- only after Burr lost the Governor's race for New York did a letter war occur between the two men.

SONGS:
* The play is told in chronological order- every song has to provide both character, narration and exposition.

Act One:
"Alexander Hamilton"- Aaron Burr introduces Hamilton, and the various characters ("Me, I died for him", "Me, I loved him" "And I'm the damn fool that shot 'im").
"Aaron Burr, Sir"- A shy Hamilton meets Burr, confessing to punching an employee of his, and they debate over Burr's inaction and willfully hiding his opinions.
"My Shot"- Hamilton details his full history growing up as the "bastard immigrant son of a whore", orphaned and sent to the U.S. via a letter-writing campaign by influential folks impressed by his writing.
"The Story of Tonight"- Hamilton meets James Laurens, Hercules Mulligan & the Marquid de Lafayette, making fast friends and uniting in revolution.
"The Schuyler Sisters"- Angelica, Eliza ("and Peggy"), the Schuyler Sisters, walk about New York and admire- and fend off- their admirers ("Burr, you disgust me." "Ah, so you've discussed me- I'm a trust fund baby, you can trust me".)
"Farmer Refuted"- Some basic revolutionary stuff.
"You'll Be Back"- King George III sinsg a butthurt song about how they'll miss him when he's gone.
"Right Hand Man"- General Washington recruits Hamilton to become his right-hand man.
"A Winter's Ball"- uh, stuff. I think Eliza meets Hamilton here.
"Helpless"- Eliza sings a song about falling helplessly in love with Alexander.
"Satisfied"- Angelica re-lives her first meeting with Hamilton and mourns passing him off to her sister.
"The Story of Tonight (Reprise)"- The men talk about Hamilton's wedding to Eliza, shocked over him getting off the market but admiring him.
"Wait for It"- Aaron Burr's triumpant song, sung to himself, about how "I'm not standing in still I'm lying in WAIT!", both envying Hamilton's drive and risk-taking, but sure of his own ambitions being best-served by waiting to see which way the wind blows.
"Stay Alive"- The Revolution goes poorly- Charles Lee is a disastrous commander and Lafayette has to take the reins (Hamilton is deemed too important to risk in battle). Lee bashes Washington publicly and Hamilton is ordered to do nothing... but Laurens isn't.
"Ten Duel Commandments"- A very important scene- Lee & Laurens face each other in a duel, allowing Burr (Lee's second) to detail the rules of the duel (which becomes important in TWO scenes in Act Two, so don't forget them). Lee is shot.
"Meet Me Inside"- Washington is infuriated over Hamilton's part in the duel, and he's sent away for a while.
"That Would Be Enough"- Eliza begs Alexander to stay with the family, but duty eventually calls once more.
"Guns and Ships"- A song about Lafayette. Rapped too fast for most people to understand, haha.
"History Has Its Eyes on You"- Washington finally gives Hamilton command.
"Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)"- The Revolution is won! Our heroes come together and win the Battle of Yorktown. The signature song that was played at the Tonys.
"What Comes Next?"- King George III whines about losing but suggests now the problems of leadership are THEIRS.
"Dear Theodosia"- Burr & Hamilton both become fathers, telling their infant babies about their fears and dreams simultaneously.
"Tomorrow There'll Be More of Us"- Laurens tries to lead a slave revolt, but is killed, becoming the first friend Hamilton loses and the first tragedy of his adult life.
"Non-Stop"- Burr is shocked and further envious of Hamilton's relentless writing and ambition. Hamilton writes The Federalist Papers, ensuring public support of the U.S. Constitution, while Burr refuses to help ("What if you're backing the wrong horse?").

Act Two:
"What'd I Miss?"- Thomas Jefferson bursts in with a toe-tapper more or less boasting about missing the whole war and being called back as French Ambassador to be part of U.S. politics. Basically makes him out to be an ass.
"Cabinet Battle #1"- Jefferson & Hamilton have an amazing rap-battle about... whether the government should assume States' debts. Jefferson & James Madison are set up as antagonists who support only the South and balk at Hamilton's "financial plan" being an "outrageous demand- and it's too many damn pages for any man to understand". Sets up Hamilton as a major public loudmouth against both men.
"Take a Break"- Eliza begs Alexander to take a break from it all (his son Philip raps him, "serving" him in a cute bit while Eliza beatboxes maternally), but he's still "non-stop", staying in New York while his family spends months upstate on vacation.
"Say No to This"- Disaster strikes when a tired, lonely Alexander is suckered by a needy woman named Maria Reynolds... and finds himself talked into her bed. And then her husband finds out and Alexander says "nobody needs to know..." paying a bribe to continue the affair in secret!
"The Room Where It Happens"- Hamilton finally manages to convince Jefferson & Madison to support his financial plan with a "quid pro quo"- putting the new capital closer to the South instead of at New York. Burr hopes to be involved, but his lack of taking a stand for anything leaves him freezed out, so he complains about not being in "the room where it happened" as the deal is made behind closed doors.
"Schuyler Defeated"- Burr, embittered by lack of success in Washington's area of influence, decides to run against Hamilton's father-in-law and defeats him, switching parties to do so solely for the sake of ambition.
"Cabinet Battle #2"- Hamilton convinces Washington not to support Lafayette in the French Revolution, earning the enmity of Jefferson (a Francophile) once more.
"Washington on Your Side"- Hamilton's enemies bemoan how Hamilton is untouchable "With Washington by your side...".
"One Last Time"- Washington steps down, deciding not to run so the nation "can learn to move along". Hamilton helps him write his final speech and he disappears from the narrative.
"I Know Him"- King George III is shocked that a leader actually VOLUNTARILY steps down and chuckles over Adams becoming President.
"The Adams Administration"- James Adams becomes President and it mostly sucks and is glossed over.
"We Know"- Hamilton's enemies all discover his affair with Maria Reynolds AND the bribes (missing money leads to the investigation, and Hamilton confesses to them so they won't reveal the money thing publicly).
"Hurricane"- Hamilton flashes back to a hurricane that destroys his town while a more metaphorical one destroys his life in the here and now. Pretty much a bit that brings sympathy back to him, about how his mother died with him in her arms as a child ("I couldn't seem to die").
"The Reynolds Pamphlet"- Hamilton, fearing Burr will reveal things anyways, jumps the gun and does it himself, describing in full how he came to a woman's bed and bribed her husband to keep it quiet. A delighted Jefferson cries "He's never gonna be president now!" while sharing tossed pamphlets everywhere, including with the band director in the pit. Hamilton's political career is indeed ruined.
"Burn"- A hearbroken Eliza reveals her humiliation at Alexander revealing everything to the world. She burns his old love letters and casts him out of their bed.
"Blow Us All Away"- Hamilton's son Philip is infuriated by one of Hamilton's political rivals talking smack and challenges him to a duel.
"Stay Alive (Reprise)"- Philip loses and despite throwing away his shot (as Alexander suggested) is shot and dies in his parents' arms.
"It's Quiet Uptown"- The family mourns.
"The Election of 1800"- Jefferson & Burr are neck & neck, but Madison suggests bringing Hamilton to their side- despite not liking Jefferson, at least he STANDS for something, while Burr stands for nothing. Burr is defeated in a landslide. Then Jefferson rejects him becoming Vice-President, boasting that he'll change the rule that makes the second runner-up be VP.
"Your Obedient Servant"- Burr and Hamilton throw passive-aggressive taunts back and forth by letters.
"Best of Wives and Best of Women"- Alexander & Eliza reconnect following the death of their son.
"The World Was Wide Enough"- Burr challenges Hamilton to a duel, and we see it from Burr's side. Proclaiming that "they won't teach you this in your classes/but look it up- Hamilton was wearing his glasses!" and "This man will not make an ORPHAN of my daughter!" with his voice breaking, Burr turns and fires. Alexander's life flashes before his eyes and he sees those who predeceased him on the other side ("I see my mother on the other side- George Washington is on the other side- MY SON is on the other side!" and he dies. Burr mourns that "The world was wide enough for Hamilton and me...".
"Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"- The final number as everyone mourns Alexander's end.

Themes:
"Not Throwing Away My SHOT!"- The notion of grabbing at destiny is repeated throughout, as Hamilton immediately declares he's going to take every chance he gets and not throw it away. This contrasts Aaron Burr's caution and patience- Alex has none but keeps thriving, making Burr both envious and confused.
"Duels"- The above mantra is brought up more literally in the three duels that take place in the play- Hamilton agrees with Burr that "duels are dumb" but instructs Laurens "Do NOT throw away your shot" so failed General Charles Lee is shot in the side. He instructs his own son to throw away his shot against a rival of Alexander's, stating the other will do it too, but the man kills Philip instead. And in his own duel, he raises his pistol to the sky (possibly intending to shoot) and is instead killed by Burr.
"Slavery"- This comes up a fair bit, though Hamilton himself didn't campaign against it THAT much in real life. Laurens is shown as anti-slavery, Jefferson defined largely by his ownership of people (Washington doing the same is not mentioned; we only get him stoically saying "NOT. YET." at the notion of freeing them after the War), and Eliza is said to have spent years after Hamilton's death writing against it.
Jabroniville

Alexander Hamilton

Post by Jabroniville »

ALEXANDER HAMILTON
Role:
The Main Hero, Human Force of Nature, Temperamental Hero
PL 4 (92), PL 6 Saves
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Politics) 5 (+10)
Expertise (Finance/Banking) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Oratory/Writing) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Law) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Soldier) 3 (+8)
Insight 4 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Attractive ("Handsome, And Boy Does He Know It"), Benefit 2 (Station/Wealth), Equipment 2 (Pistol +3), Ranged Attack 5, Ultimate Writing

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistol +5 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation ("Not Throwing Away My Shot!")- Hamilton, an immigrant bastard son of a whore, is obsessed with creating a legacy and improving his station. He writes day and night like he's running out of time, talks publicly for hours, and seeks higher positions. Despite the danger, he's desperate for a command during the Revolutionary War. He works constantly to create a new nation, leaving his family missing his company. He humiliates his wife by clearing his name of financial wrongdoing (thus revealing an affair to her and the public). His ego is easily bruised, provoking him into unwise actions.
Obsession ("I've Never Been Satisfied")- Hamilton suggests he & Angelica are the same because both have yet to be satisfied by life- Alexander's boundless ambition is a bit fueled by this. Eliza repeatedly asks "Isn't this enough?" with their lot, but it never is.
Temper ("I May Have Punched Him- He Handles the Financials?" "You Punched the Burser.")- Alexander has a furious temper, often "shooting off at the mouth" or picking fights with people. His cabinet meetings with Jefferson nearly always turn into insults slung and President Washington having to tell him off.
Responsibility ("Am I Talking Too Loud?")- Alexander often shoots his mouth off, offending people around him. Though quick to make friends (and loves), he makes a lot of enemies, too. He can't be succinct for anything and this annoys others, too.
---
Rivalry (Aaron Burr, Sir)- The two "keep meeting" in their early days, Hamilton being constantly befuddled by Burr's lack of initiative ("What do you stall for?") or willingness to take a stand. This leads to them being full-on political rivals later on, Burr defeating Alex's father-in-law in one election, and Hamilton ruining Burr's chances at the Oval Office. He's so angry with Burr that he sides with JEFFERSON over him, offended by Burr's seeming lack of principles or viewpoints.
Rivalry (Thomas Jefferson & James Madison)- The smart-mouthed, intelligent Francophile is Hamilton's biggest political rival. However, the two often come to quid pro quos in "The room where it happens"- the capital is moved to the Potomac (closer to Jefferson's beloved Virginia) though Alexander keeps the banks in New York, which allows his complicated financial plan to pass. Later, he even sides with Jefferson, whose ideals he despises, over Burr, whose ideals seem non-existant and malleable.
---
Responsibility (George Washington)- The General is the only person who can convince Hamilton what to do- they are great friends but Hamilton sometimes loses his temper at Washington presuming more to their relationship than there is ("I'm not your son--" "-- CALL ME SON ONE MORE TIME!").
Relationship (James Laurens)- The two were best friends during the Revolutionary War. Laurens dies after hostilities had mostly ceased.
Relationship (Eliza)- Alexander meets his wife, who falls head over heels immediately. He certainly loves her, shocking his friends by actually SETTLING DOWN.
Relationship (My Dearest, Angelica)- Alexander has a more intellectual match with Eliza's sister, Angelica, who blows him off and introduces the future couple. They write each other constantly and he admits to "longing for Angelica".
Relationship (Children)- Only one is seen in the play- his eldest son, Philip. Philip's death in a duel shatters Alexander.
Addiction ("Lord, Show Me How To Say No To This")- "Martha Washington named her feral TOMCAT after him!" "That's true!"- Hamilton liked to play the field. A lot. He does settle down... but then Miss Maria Reynolds walks into his life. Despite the risks and dangers, he ruins his political future to engage in an affair with her.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (92)

-Hamilton is a true force of nature in the play, though less "actorly" than Burr, who has to do a lot of non-verbal acting and carries some more impressive songs, while doing the narration. Hamilton, by contrast, gets to have all the men talk about him, all the women love him, and practically has the world revolve around him. Like, a dork like Lin-Manuel Miranda couldn't have written a more "Male Fantasy" kind of role for himself, lol. Hamilton is as he says- "Young, scrappy & hungry", growing up in dire circumstances in the West Indies (his mother was abandoned by Alex's birth father and became a prostitute, dying when he was still young), he was given some jobs by her old landlord and others, finally impressing people in the U.S., which brings him there to complete his education. He becomes a rabble-rouser against England and a notable name in the Revolution, becoming the right hand man to General George Washington himself. Along the way, he tries to woo the intelligent Angelica Schuyler, but is introduced to her younger sister instead, and they capture each other's hearts, taming his tomcat nature a ways.

-He establishes himself promptly with My Shot, stating a mantra over and over the story about how "I'm not throwing away my SHOT!". His backstory has left him hungry and desperate, and this never leaves him, even as he could live a life of comfort. He becomes "Obsessed with your legacy", as Eliza puts it, and works day and night to both impress people and forge America into the country he thinks it should be. Hamilton repeatedly desires more and more, wanting glory over safety, but finally convinces Washington to give him a command at the Battle of Yorktown, winning and securing the American victory in the war. He's then pulled away from his family because Washington needs him again- he becomes the first Secretary of the Treasury, establishing America's first two banks and creating his desire for a "Strong central democracy" and strong defense, making an enemy out of Thomas Jefferson, who dislikes him personally and due to his ideas of taxation. Along the way, he is exhausted and lonely in New York, and is coaxed into the bed of one Maria Reynolds, whose husband soon blackmails Hamilton. When questions are raised due to his spending of money, he clears his name by actually REVEALING all of this to the public! This estranges him from his family and leads to the ruination of his political career ("He's never gon' be President now!"), all to secure a legacy as an honest money-holder and politician.

-His relationship with Burr gets a good deal of focus, constrasting the two- while Hamilton is all action, Burr is all REACTION, annoying Hamilton with his inability to act or take risks, always waiting in the wings to see which way the wind will flow. Things become so personal that Hamilton even sides with JEFFERSON over him, netting Jefferson the Presidency and leaving Burr flapping in the breeze. But Alexander's non-stop snark and sass comes back to bite him, as he offends Burr so badly that a duel is called. We interestingly enough don't learn Alexander's side of it (because we don't know it- he ded), but among Burr's points was that Hamilton was wearing his glasses, which implicates he considered his Ultimately, as Alexander dies, he realizes "What is a legacy? It's planting seeds in a garden you never get to see!" and it's Eliza who ensures his legacy, saving his writing. And ultimately, even his rivals spoke highly of him- Jefferson calls his financial plan "a work of genius- I couldn't destroy it if I tried. And I tried" while Madison says "we didn't credit him for all the credit he gave us". And funnily enough, the real Hamilton's legacy is cemented more by this play!

-Statting up real people can be tricky (how much is TOO much?), but in the confines of Hamilton, certain things are clear. Hamilton is a genius and good in front of a crowd, but interpersonally is more challenged, often offending people and overdoing the insults. So he's likable but has Complications out the ass. This reflects the more "standard" Hamilton who appears throughout Act One and parts of Act Two- when he dies, he's actually in his late 40s (though the actor playing him obviously looks mostly the same- LMM put on glasses to look a bit older) and is likely physically worse. He's PL 4 (84)- about the way of a very good soldier with far more mental abilities than most.
Jabroniville

John Laurens

Post by Jabroniville »

JOHN LAURENS
Role:
Side Character
PL 4 (63), PL 5 Saves
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Expertise (Politics) 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 3 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit 1 (Station), Equipment 2 (Pistol +3, Rifle +4), Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Pistol +4 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Rifle +4 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Alexander Hamilton)- Laurens considers Hamilton to be his closest friend.
Motivation (Freeing the Slaves)- Laurens is a vocal anti-slavery activist, believing "We'll never be free till we end slavery!".

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (63)

-John Laurens is a peculiar bit in the story- he & Hamilton were REALLY good friends in real life (who wrote to each other in flowery enough language that people always side-eyed it a bit), but he didn't make it out of the Revolution alive. In the play he's a bit-character- he hangs out at the bar with the other heroes singing drinking songs & boasting of their lovemaking skills, and is introduced to a nervous but energetic and complimentary Hamilton. He later tells the hero "Alexander... you're the closest friend I got!" and much is made of his duel with Charles Lee (who had bad words for Washington, infuriating both Hamilton & Laurens). This of course explains the Ten Duel Commandments to the audience, who are gonna need to remember them for the two that take place in Act Two of the show. Laurens is the most vocally anti-slavery person in the story, but his real-life fate is given- he was attempting to raise an army of slaves freed from the British, but was killed when leading the charge. One act of tragedy for Hamilton at the end of Act One, Laurens was one of the last casualties of the Revolutionary War.

-In the play, Laurens gets no big songs to himself. In Act Two, his actor plays Alexander's son Philip, who does a babyish rap to his father in a childish falsetto while Eliza (his mother) beatboxes for him in a sweet bit. Philip of course performs in another duel, being killed by a political rival of his father's in the doing.

-In real life, Laurens was pretty decorated, but men under his command found him a bit of a glory-hound- his fatal charge against the British was ill-timed and they were outnumbered, and he died in the opening moments. He also was said to have spent the night carousing with ladies until about two hours before the conflict. He was, however, the most vocal of Hamilton's allies in terms of being against slavery, which in the play is used to turn many of the good guys into nicer-seeming characters (though to be fair Hamilton DID fight against slavery a bit).

-Laurens is a bit tricky because he's a minor character and died at 27 years old in real life. He seems to be a solid gunman (winning a duel with General Charles Lee) but is not THAT great at war, considering how he died.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Book of Mormon! Hamilton!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Probably the most epic song in Hamilton- Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down). This one playing at the Tony Awards pretty much astounded me- I'd blown off the show seeing their performance at the Emmys (I forget what song it was) but when I heard THIS one performed, I knew I had to get the CDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNnDjLH ... =DaveBosse

Chorus: "The battle of Yorktown, 1781"

"Monsieur Hamilton"
"Monsieur Lafayette"
"In command where you belong"
"How you say, no sweat"
"Finally on the field, we've had quite a run"

Both: "Immigrants, we get the job done"

"So what happens if we win?"
"I go back to France
I bring freedom to my people
If I'm given the chance"
"We'll be with you when you do"
"Go lead your men"
"I see you on the other side"
"'Til we meet agaiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnn, let's go!"

"I am not throwin' away my shot!
I am not throwin' away my shot!
Hey yo, I'm just like my country
I'm young scrappy and hungry
And I'm not throwin' away my shot!
I am not throwin' away my shot!
'Til the world turns upside down
'Til the world turns upside down!

I imagine death so much, it feels more like a memory
This is where it gets me, on my feet the enemy ahead of me
If this is the end of me, at least I have a friend with me
Weapon in my hand, a command, and my men with me
Then I remember my Eliza's expecting me
Not only that, my Eliza's expecting
We gotta go, gotta get the job done
Gotta start a new nation, gotta meet my son!

Take the bullets out your gun! (What?)
The bullets out your gun! (What?)
We move undercover and we move as one
Through the night, we have one shot to live
Another day
We cannot let a stray gunshot give us away

We will fight up close, seize the moment and stay in it
It's either that or meet the business end of a bayonet
The code word is "Rochambeau", dig me? (Rochambeau!)
You have your orders now, go, man, go!

And so the American experiment begins
With my friends all scattered to the winds
Laurens is in South Carolina, redefining bravery"
"We'll never be free until we end slavery!"
"When we finally drive the British away
Lafayette is there waiting in Chesapeake Bay!
How did we know that this plan would work?
We had a spy on the inside, that's right
Hercules Mulligan!"

"A tailor spyin' on the British government!
I take their measurements, information and then I smuggle it! (Up)
To my brother's revolutionary covenant
I'm runnin' with the Sons of Liberty and I am lovin' it!
See, that's what happens when you up against the ruffiiiiiiiiiiiians
We in the shit now, somebody gotta shovel it!
Hercules Mulligan, I need no introduction
When you knock me down I get the FUCK back up again!"

"Left! Right! Hold!
Go!
What! What! What!"

"After a week of fighting, a young man in a red coat stands on a parapet"
"We lower our guns as he frantically waves a white handkerchief"
"And just like that, it's over, we tend to our wounded, we count our dead"
"Black and white soldiers wonder alike if this really means freedom?"

Washington: "Not. Yet."

"We negotiate the terms of surrender
I see George Washington smile
We escort their men out of Yorktown
They stagger home single file
Tens of thousands of people flood the streets
There are screams and church bells ringing
And as our fallen foes retreat
I hear the drinking song they're singing
The world turned upside down

Down, down, down, down
Freedom for America, freedom for France!
Down, down, down
Gotta start a new nation, gotta meet my son
Down, down, down
We won!
We won!
We won!
We won!
The world turned upside down!
Jabroniville

Hercules Mulligan

Post by Jabroniville »

"How did we know that this plan would work?
We had a spy on the inside- that's right
Hercules Mulligan!"

"A tailor spyin' on the British government!
I take their measurements, information and then I smuggle it! (Up)
To my brother's revolutionary covenant
I'm runnin' with the Sons of Liberty and I am lovin' it!
See, that's what happens when you up against the ruffiiiiiiiiiiiians
We in the shit now, somebody gotta shovel it!
Hercules Mulligan, I need no introduction
When you knock me down I get the FUCK back up again!"

HERCULES MULLIGAN
Role:
Side Character
PL 3 (56), PL 5 Saves
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 8 (+11)
Expertise (Tailor) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Soldier) 3 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Freedom For America)

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (56)

-God DAMN that is a bad-ass name. They had some proper-ass names back in the day. Hercules Mulligan was one of the first members of the Sons of Liberty (the group that started the Revolution) and introduced Hamilton to the idea, and was a spy on behalf of the Culper Ring- his job as a tailor brought him into regular contact with the British, who would freely state their plans around him. He is credited with directly saving General Washington's life twice- at one point warning him that an Englishman had told him while being handed his freshly-laundered coat "Before another day, we'll have the rebel general in our hands", causing Washington to change his plans. Mulligan's slave Cato was a Black Patriot who served as a spy alongside his owner, acting as a courier. As a person who was literally property, Cato was considerably good at passing through British territory, as it prevented him from being detained. Cato was granted his freedom after the war, and Mulligan continued on as a tailor instead of a politician or soldier.

-This potentially interesting story is largely told through a couple of bits in Hamilton- Mulligan only gets bits and pieces of songs in the play. He's mentioned as a tailor and appears to give up when the war gets tough... but bursts through during The Battle of Yorktown in an AMAZING bit, stating he's "a tailor spying on the British government/I take their measurements and information and then I smuggle it!" then puncuating it with "Hercules Mulligan- I need no introduction/you know me down, I get the FUCK back up again!". He's typically played by the burliest and toughest-sounding of the play's performers. In Act Two, his actor plays the contrastingly soft-spoken James Madison, Jefferson's #2.

-Hercules Mulligan is effectively a "Generic Revolutionary Leader", but has heighted Deception owing to his job as a spy, and isn't a soldier like the others.
Jabroniville

Lafayette

Post by Jabroniville »

"How does a ragtag volunteer army in need of a shower
Somehow defeat a global superpower?
How do we emerge victorious from the quagmire?
Leave the battlefield waving Betsy Ross' flag higher?
Yo, turns out we have a secret weapon
An immigrant, you know and love, who's unafraid to step in
He's constantly confusin', confoundin' the British henchmen
Ev'ryone give it up for America's favorite fighting Frenchman:"

Chorus: "Lafayette!"

"I'm takin' this horse by the reins makin'
Redcoats redder with bloodstains!"

"And I'm never gonna stop until I make 'em
Drop and burn 'em up and scatter their remains, I'm
Watch me engagin' em! Escapin' em!
Enragin' em! I'm-

"I go to France for more funds!"

"I come back with more guns and ships!
And so the balance shifts!"

LAFAYETTE (Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette)
Role:
Heroic General
PL 4 (78), PL 5 Saves
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Expertise (Politics) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Aristocracy) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 1 (+5)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 5 (+9)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Station), Equipment 2 (Pistol +3, Rifle +4), Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Freedom)- Lafayette fights for both American and French freedom from opression. He also advocated the end of slavery.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (78)

-"Oui oui, mon ami, j'mapelle Lafayette/the Lancelot of the Revolutionary set!" goes his rhyme in his introduction, as the Marquis de Lafayette, the most interesting of America's Revolutionary war heroes. A French nobleman with an official title, he fought in the war and even led American troops, while being instrumental in getting French aide that cinched the revolution for the patriots. He was instrumental in blocking forces led by Cornwallis, allowing American & French soldiers to win the Battle of Yorktown. In the musical, he's a wild, flamboyant warrior and gets his own song that is rapped so freaking fast I can never follow it. He's given command after Charles Lee "shits the bed at the Battle of Monmouth!", another guy Hamilton is passed over for. He's heroic and a great friend to everyone, but leaves after the War and doesn't return- a later Cabinet Battle #2 involves him asking for American aide in the French Revolution, which he ALSO takes part in (in real life, he serves five years in prison after radicals order his arrest, and later refused an offer to be the new dictator of France!), with Thomas Jefferson (played by the same actor as Lafayette) beseeching Washington to help out- he is denied.

-Lafayette is a brilliant commander and highly persuasive, being a major part
Jabroniville

Here Comes the GENERAL!

Post by Jabroniville »

GENERAL GEORGE WASHINGTON
Role:
The General
PL 4 (84), PL 6 Saves
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+3)
Expertise (Politics) 9 (+12)
Expertise (Military) 9 (+12)
Expertise (Oratory) 7 (+12)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 1 (+6)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 7 (+12)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Station), Equipment 2 (Pistol +3, Rifle +4), Ranged Attack 4

Offense:
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (America)- The General seeks power, stability and freedom for the colonies, establishing not only a power free from Britain, but one that will outlast him.
Relationship (Hamilton)- The General is the only person who can convince Hamilton what to do- they are great friends but Hamilton is more emotional, loudmouthed and aggressive compared to the calmer Washington and so the General constantly has to hold him back.
Relationship (Thomas Jefferson)- Jefferson represents a legion of powerful Southern politicians who must be placated occasionally, but also want power of their own.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 8 (84)

"HERE COMES THE GENERAL!":
-The placement of George Washington is always of extreme importance in these historical stories, as the character is as much a myth as a real person in American mythology. But real he was: a general who took a rag-tag bunch of soldiers against a global superpower and managed to eke out a win alongside his allies and French assistance. Going on to become America's first president, he also astounded minds by voluntarily stepping down and going into retirement rather than accepting some kind of permanent Kingship. But he's also a complex figure- a man who fought for freedom and founded a nation... yet also owned people and kept the system of slavery active during his Presidency. Despite proclaiming a desire to end the practice, he only freed his own slaves as part of his will (something slaving rivals like Jefferson did not).

-So the pressure to get "The General" right was on Lin-Manuel Miranda. Ron Chernow wrote biographies of both Hamilton AND Washington, so was a big help, and LMM cast one of the principal actors from In The Heights to play the man: Christopher Jackson. A tall, stoic-looking man, he did a great job, and his songs are much different from everyone else's- a great way to make him symbolically stand apart. While Hamilton is a loose-lipped rapper, Eliza sings pop, Jefferson is a snarky Diss Track guy, Burr sings powerful soul, and Lafayette & Angelica have the fastest patter... Washington is SLOW. Direct. He actually does most of the TALKING in the show, not keeping to the patter of other characters- this means he's usually not playing to the music and is practically cutting THROUGH it (ending Cabinet Battle #1 rap battle with "HAMILTON. A WORD..."), which I can't think was an accident. In One Last Time, he gives a more soulful, slow rendition that ends up more like gospel as much as anything. A real sign of how seriously the story takes him.

-Washington's character is also interesting throughout. He's announced with a rousing "Here comes the GENERAL!" from the chorus, and is never seen outside of strict uniform. He doesn't laugh or joke like the others, and is cordial even with his enemies (the failure Charles Lee who insults him and degrades him in public is given a "General- thank you for your service" and he never seems to speak to Jefferson directly). He is a bit amused when he calls a young, scrappy & hungry Hamilton into his office ("How come no one can get you on their staff?")- realizing that Hamilton seeks battlefield glory to improve his station, Washington convinces him to become the General's aide-de-campe, writing correspondence, handing financials and writing speeches- vastly important stuff he wouldn't do for anyone but the top dog.

"DADDY'S CALLING...":
-Hamilton & Washington are together a lot- they commisserate over how bad things are getting in Stay Alive ("Alex- listen... there's only one way for us to win this..."), yet he acts fatherly and stern, admonishing him for being involved in the duel-based shooting of Charles Lee (Hamilton is ordered not to duel him, but helps Laurens do it instead). He's the only one who can scold Hamilton and not face rebuttal, but angers him by repeatedly calling the bastard orphan "son" in a direct manner ("CALL ME SON ONE MORE TIME!"). They thankfully win the war (though when black & white soldiers alike wonder if this really means freedom, Washington calmly goes "NOT. YET."- slavery is still part of the national makeup), and Washington again pulls Hamilton to his side, making him Secretary of the Treasury, needing his genius to set up America financially. This leads to new faces in Act Two- Thomas Jefferson & James Madison- southerners who dislike Hamilton personally and are ambling for more power. Both mock Hamilton for his relationship with the General (It Must Be Nice "to have Washington on your side...") and tease him for needing protection from him.

-Washington again has to rebuke Hamilton for arguing with the other side in Cabinet Battle #1, directly ordering Alexander to "figure it out" and get his financial plan through (Hamilton has to make a deal with his rivals). Then later, when Jefferson steps down so that he can run for president, Washington stuns Hamilton by stating "I'm stepping down- I'm not running for President". "One last time..." he croons, "come on, have a drink with me- one last time... we're gonna teach 'em how to say goodbye- you and I...". Hamilton insists they'll think George is weak, but he replies "They'll see we're strong" and that he intends to use his position to help move the country along- show them that repeated elections and terms are required rather than just basking in glory till the end of his days. The two men craft Washington's famous speech as he steps down, and the character leaves the play. He's only visible in The Reynolds Pamphlet, reading Hamilton's confession of his affair with shock and dismay- this is a silent role and I was interested to see it in person, as in the album the character isn't seen again. Finally, when Alexander himself is shot and killed in a duel, Washington is among the many people he sees "on the other side".

Washington Overall:
-Washington never really leaves the status as a "mythical figure" in Hamilton, which feels somewhat appropriate given his status as the only guy who can tell the lead what to do. Like, he's almost this conceptual being here, with only a few casual moments here and there. Stern, authoritative and only occasionally angry, he allows Hamilton higher station but needs him to actually be the brains behind the operation.

Washington's Stats:
-A truly famous man, Washington is tricky to lay down, particularly for a Canadian like me, but he was a strong-willed, charismatic man who led a lot of people very well, in the military and in office. He was only in his fifties around the time of Hamilton, and died before he reached seventy, so he's not in his physical prime at this point. He's not really a better fighter than anyone, but has higher saves.
Jabroniville

Eliza

Post by Jabroniville »

“I saved every letter you wrote me
From the moment I read them
I knew you were mine
You said you were mine
I thought you were mine…

Do you know what Angelica said
When we saw your first letter arrive?
She said
“Be careful with that one, love-
He will do what it takes to survive.”

You and your words flooded my senses
Your sentences left me defenseless
You built me palaces out of paragraphs
You built cathedrals…
I’m re-reading the letters you wrote me
I’m searching and scanning for answers
In every line
For some kind of sign
And when you were mine
The world seemed to

Burnnnnn…
Burnnnnn…

You published the letters she wrote you
You told the whole world how you brought
This girl into our bed
In clearing your name, you have ruined our li-ivvvvvessss
Do you know what Angelica said
When she read what you’d done?
She said
“You have married an Icarus
He has flown too close to the sun.”

You and your words, obsessed with your legacy...
Your sentences border on senseless!
And you are paranoid in every paragraph
How they perceive you…

YOU, YOU, YOU…!

I’m erasing myself from the narrative
Let future historians wonder how Eliza
Reacted when you broke her heart
You have torn it all apart!
I am watching it
Burnnnnn…
Watching it burnnnnn…
The world has no right to my heart!
The world has no place in our bed!
They don’t get to know what I said!
I’m burning the memories
Burning the letters that might have redeemed youuuuuu!
You forfeit all rights to my heart!
You forfeit the place in our bed!
You sleep in your office instead!
With only the memories
Of when you were MINNNNNNNNE!!

I hope that you… BURNNNNNNNNNNN…”

ELIZA (Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton)
Role:
Hamilton's Wife, The Good Girl, Long-Suffering Wife

-Eliza, Hamilton's wife, gets two absolute bangers to sing in Hamilton, so it's kinda funny that she's not in it THAT much... at least in a major way. She more or less debuts meeting Alexander and then rapidly getting engaged (this wasn't rare at the time, of course)- the song Helpless how immediately she falls in love with him ("Just look at those EYESSSSSSSSS...!") and how happy she is that they're together. She accepts good-naturedly her sister's obvious crush on him ("I'm just saying if you really loved me you would share him" "Hah!"), and becomes the mother to his child (the only one we see in the play, though they had several in real life). She pleads that he Stay Alive at war, then begs that he returns to his family instead of running off to work for General Washington again ("Isn't this enough?").

-Missing Alexander, she is crushed when he has an affair with Maria Reynolds while stuck in New York working- in the phenomenal song Burn, she turns her first song's "Your sentences left me defenseless!" to "Your sentences border on SENSELESS!" in a song about how "Let the world wonder how Eliza reacted/when you broke her HEART"- she takes herself out of the narrative while burning the letters he used to write her and sings this long, drawn-out song of her sorrow, ending with "I hope you... burrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnn...". This one of Wait For It tend to be the show's big showstoppers- the "This person is REALLY GOOD!" actor/singing showcases. It's really interesting how Helpless is about this kind of guileless young woman falling helplessly in love ("Five weeks later/you're writing a letter nightly/Now my life gets better every letter than you write me!") and now she's this morose, scorned woman.

-Eliza nonetheless slowly forgives Alexander- the play shows this happening after their son dies in a duel. When Alexander himself meets the same fate, Eliza "puts myself back in the narrative" and gives a biography of her founding the first private orphanage in New York City, campaigns against slavery, and speaks to everyone who knew her husband to help in crafting his story (finally putting to rest the question to play raises about how you have no control over "Who lives/who dies/who tells your story"). She has the one thing he didn't have- time ("I live another fifty years!").

-Eliza, interestingly enough, is played by an Asian woman in everything I've seen- Phillipa Soo knocked it out of the park on Broadway, and the live version I saw also had an Asian woman who nails Burn as well. Some of the early actor swaps were also keeping the races the same (Miranda's replacement was another Latino male) but have since just made it "any POC" (the Hamilton I saw was black, for example).
Jabroniville

Angelica Schuyler

Post by Jabroniville »

"The conversation lasted two minutes, maybe three minutes, everything we said in total agreement!
It's a dream and it's a bit of a dance
A bit of a posture, it's a bit of a stance.
He's a bit of a flirt, but I'mma give it a chance
I asked about his fam'ly, did you see his answer?
His hands started fidgeting, he looked askance
He's penniless, he's flying by the seat of his pants
Handsome, boy does he know it
Peach fuzz and he can't even grow it
I wanna take him far away from this place
Then I turn and see my sister's face and she is"
"HELPLESS..."
"And I know she is"
"HELPLESS..."
"And her eyes are just"
"HELPLESS..."

"And I realize
Three fundamental truths at the exact same time

Number one!
I'm a girl in a world in which
My only job is to marry rich
My father has no sons so I'm the one
Who has to social climb for one
So I'm the oldest and the wittiest and the gossip in
New York City is insidious
And Alexander is penniless
Ha, that doesn't mean I want him any less!

Number two!
He's after me because I'm a Schuyler sister
That elevates his status, I'd
Have to be naïve to set that aside
Maybe that is why I introduce him to Eliza
Now that's his bride
Nice going Angelica, he was right, you will never be satisfied...

Number three!
I know my sister like I know my own mind!
You will never find anyone as trusting or as kind!
If I tell her that I love him she'd be silently resigned
He'd be mine
She would say "I'm fine"
She'd be lying!
But when I fantasize at night, it's Alexander's eyes...
As I romanticize what might have been if I hadn't sized
Him up so quickly...

At least my dear Eliza's his wife
At least I keep his eyes in my life..."

ANGELICA SCHUYLER
Role:
The Woman He Can't Have

-Angelica is the other impressive female role in the play, but it's kind of a funny one, as she has only a single song! I'd kind of had the impression she was this major part of things, but largely she just gets a really fast rap song immediately following Eliza's Helpless to indicate that she, too, loves Alexander. Knowing that she needed to marry well and knowing Alexander was penniless and desperate, she "sized him up too quickly" and passed him off to her sister Eliza. "I know my sister like I know my own mind/you will never find anyone as trusting or as kind!"- she adores Eliza and notices how "Helpless..." she is when she sees those eyes of his, and chooses to not be selfish. So now Eliza's his wife, and "I get to keep those eyes in my life"- it's a heartbreaking song that makes it clear she regrets not going for Alexander (Eliza would have lied and said she'd be fine with it), but knows why she did and why she can't. It's a REALLY fast rap that Miranda had to admit he wrote differently knowing the original actress could rap better than he could, so he could uncork it in ways he couldn't with his own songs, lol.

-Angelica plays a small role later on, but it's still there- Alexander longs for her as she's found a wealthy husband in London ("who will keep me in comfort for all my days/He's not a lotta fun/but there's no one/who can match you for turn of phrase/My ALEXANDER..."), and they engage in flirtations via his writing- at one point, she notices he writes "My dearest, Angelica--" instead of "My dearest Angelica,---", which changes the entire meaning of his letter via a single comma. It's clear they also share love, but won't hurt Eliza all the same. She's as angry as Eliza is when Alexander's affair with Maria Reynolds is revealed to the world, and she arrives back in New York to stay with her. Finally, both she & Eliza are at his side when he dies.

-The real-life Angelica is of great interest to Hamilton historians, as their flowery letters were real, and she's quoted as suggesting to Eliza that they should share him: "your Husband, for I love him very much and if you were as generous as the old Romans, you would lend him to me for a little while." Biographer Ron Chernow wrote that "the attraction between Hamilton and Angelica was so potent and obvious that many people assumed they were lovers. At the very least, theirs was a friendship of unusual ardor." Miranda goes to town on this concept, rewriting a bit of history to create more tragic reasons why Angelica can't be with him, making her consider it a mistake to have blown him off (in reality, she was already married!), and a tragedy of her station (a woman with no brothers so she had to marry rich- in reality, she had at least two). The letter where the comma is misplaced was actually Alexander's and not hers, and he blew it off as a mistake when she jokingly called him out on it. But Miranda in particular was taken with one of the real facts of Angelica- she was a brilliant woman in a world which had no use for such things- a smart woman was more or less just a "good party guest" and that was the peak of their ambition. So her & Alexander were matched as rare intellectual equals, as both were geniuses- Hamilton portrays their quick early flirtation (ie. snarky back and forth) at a party as the one time she met her equal.
Jabroniville

Thomas Jefferson

Post by Jabroniville »

THOMAS JEFFERSON
Role:
The Rival
PL 1 (59), PL 6 Saves
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Politics) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Oratory/Writing) 8 (+13)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Religion) 2 (+7)
Insight 5 (+9)
Persuasion 5 (+9)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Station/Wealth), Languages (Greek, Latin, French), Ultimate Writing

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Political Power)- Jefferson is highly ambitious.
Rivalry (Alexander Hamilton)- The smart-mouthed, intelligent Francophile is Hamilton's biggest political rival. Jefferson says "it must be nice... to have Washington by your side" regarding Alexander's powerful ally. However, the two often come to quid pro quos in "The room where it happens"- the capital is moved to the Potomac (closer to Jefferson's beloved Virginia) though Alexander keeps the banks in New York, which allows his complicated financial plan to pass.
Relationship (James Madison)- The two are constantly seen together, with Madison being loyal and a source of good advice, often suggesting unexpected alliances with Hamilton despite their opposition ("What are you suggesting?" "A quid pro quo").
Reputation (Francophile)- Jefferson's political career is somewhat hampered by his reputation as a Francophile who missed the Revolutionary War entirely; he's seen as a bit of a layabout and has his loyalty called into question.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (59)

Jefferson- The Rival:
-One of Lin-Manuel Miranda's big issues in writing Hamilton is how to put words into the mouths of people who are IMMENSELY smarter than him- geniuses like Hamilton & Jefferson in particular. Jefferson pops into the play after the break between Acts- the actor playing the wild, charismatic freedom-fighter Lafayette is now playing the wild, charismatic Jefferson, who bursts forth singing "What Did I Miss?", practically bragging that he missed all the fighting while hanging out in France. Sure he had an important job- French allies are how the war was won, after all- but it's more than clear to a lot of people (Hamilton particularly- "Don't lecture me about the war- you didn't fight in it!" "We almost died in a TRENCH/while you were off gettin' high with the French!") that he didn't sacrifice any blood or risk his health for things the way the others did, and now he comes flying in expecting political power and the ability to build their new nation. He dresses better than anyone else, is wild and showy while everyone else is introspective, and he's outrageous and insulting to the hero- in short, he's a rival... but a fun one.

"Don't Tax the South Cuz We Got it Made in the Shade":
-Jefferson becomes the Secretary of State, with his close ally James Madison always at his side (often repeating his quotes). Together, they represent "The South"- this spectre against a New Yorker like Hamilton who finds these slavery-loving people who hold the nation hostage through their economic power (for a chunk of history, some of the world's wealthiest people were Southern slavers), insisting that legislation go through that enables them further. Though as Washington puts it when Hamilton says "These Virginians are birds of a feather", "Young man, I'm from Virginia- so watch your mouth". Jefferson & Hamilton immediately hate each other, Jefferson arguing against "his financial plan is an outrageous demand- and it's too many damn pages for anyone to understand!". He quotes Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five's The Message both by using mocking laughter at Hamilton in the same cadence as the song, and doing a "Weird Al" riff on it ("Such a blunder sometimes/it makes me wonder why I even bring the thunder") and promises that the South will never allow Hamilton to let the government assume State's debts to strengthen and empower it (ie. "Wealth Sharing").

-It's Madison who suggests a "quid pro quo", and the three men go to The Room Where It Happens, ignoring Aaron Burr, who never took a side one way or the other- Burr mutters about how "No one else was in the room where it happens", as Jefferson & Madison approve of Hamilton's plan, but only if the capital is placed near Virginia- the Potomac River- instead of New York. Burr points out the fascination of such a huge matter being settled by three guys in a room somewhere (this is every politician's favorite song in the play for a reason). Later, another Cabinet Battle sees Hamilton convince Washington NOT to send aid to their old friend Lafayette, despite Jefferson's insistence they need to repay the French for their aid in the war (Washington is convinced that America is too unsteady and unready for such an action).

-Ultimately, however, while both men dislike Hamilton, there is various stuff afoot: both promise not to share the tale of Alexander's affair with Maria Reynolds with the world when he proves he's innocent of swiping government money to pay off her husband (Burr implies he'll break the promise, sending Hamilton to reveal the news himself). When the "Reynolds Pamphlets" are released by Hamilton himself, Jefferson is ecstatic, singing "He never gonn' be President now!", reveling in his enemy killing his own political career. And yet... near the play's end, Jefferson is elected President BECAUSE of Hamilton- Madison correctly guesses that an old enemy can be made an ally, as he hates Burr (Jefferson's opponent in the race) more than either of them, and while he hates Jefferson's policies and ideals, at least Jefferson HAS some (versus the "whatever is best for me politically" Burr), and so Hamilton ruins Burr's chances with some scathing essays. In the end, when Hamilton dies, Jefferson admits "His plan was a work of financial GENIUS- I couldn't break it if I tried. And I tried".

The Real-Life Jefferson:
-The real-life Jefferson was of course a fascinating man- the third U.S. President, he made the Louisiana Purchase (winning the U.S. double its territory through ECONOMICS, not war, as a cash-strapped Napoleon in Europe actually ONE-UPPED Jefferson's offer of buying New Orleans for $10 million with twenty times the land he'd asked for AND the most fertile tract of land of its size on Earth, for only $5 million over what Jefferson offered), wrote the Declaration of Independence and more. He of course is a famous and noted slaver- he not only didn't free his slaves with his death (something Washington apologists note GEORGE did), and also likely fathered six children with a slave of his, leading to a whole bunch of black descendants of his in current times. This kinda makes him an easy "Villain" of Miranda's piece here, especially as it makes no mention of Jefferson's own tragedies (he inherited his father's debts; his wife died in 1773, before the play even begins, and he had only two children survive to adulthood), nor his own campaigns against the slave trade (he denounced South Carolina re-starting the Atlantic slave trade and oversaw its end). He was indeed politically hampered by his perception as a disloyal Francophile and an elitist snob, while LMM focuses a lot on his slavery-loving nature- it's also probably no mistake that the South is an enemy in much of the work. He was nonetheless considered a top-tier president- his own Secretary of the Treasury convinced him not to destroy Hamilton's National Bank, but he did a lot of work to cut the national debut by cutting things he felt were unnecessary, like much of the peacetime navy.
Jabroniville

James Madison

Post by Jabroniville »

JAMES MADISON
Role:
The Sidekick (to Jefferson)

-James Madison is one of those oddly popular minor characters, mostly because despite having only a few lines, he gets some hilarious bits that actors tend to love doing. The calm-speaking, reserved sidekick to the ostentatious braggart Thomas Jefferson, Madison tends to just appear next to his buddy and re-emphasize his points, then privately engage in actual advice and deal-making. When Jefferson brags and boasts in Cabinet Battle #1 to Hamilton, explaining that he sucks, we get the fantastic bit of business, as both go "You don't have the votes/you're gonna need Congressional approval and YOU DON'T HAVE THE VOTES", Jefferson adding in the cadence of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five "Such a blunder somtimes/it makes me wonder why I even bring the thunder", with Madison flatly adding "Why he even brings the thunder?" almost like it's a question. Then in Cabinet Battle #2, Jefferson argues that the U.S. needs to send aide to the French Revolution, asking rhetorically "When we were on death's door/ when we were needy/We made a promise, we signed a treaty/We needed money and guns and half a chance/Uhh who provided those funds?" and Madison just goes "uh, France".

-Played by Hercules Mulligan's actor, the gruff, gravel-voiced spymaster and boaster turns into this calm, rational figure and it's pretty funny- the fans adore Madison. It helps that he's also SMART- while Jefferson can't stand Hamilton, Madison is the one who plays peacemaker, pointing out they can get a "quid pro quo"- agree to Hamilton's dumb financial plan & national bank, and then get the capital on the Potomac ("Wouldn't you like to work a little closer to home?" "You know, I WOULD", and all three make a private deal in "The Room Where It Happens". Later, when Jefferson is struggling with the more personable Aaron Burr in the Presidential election, it's Madison that has the genius idea: Hamilton can't stand Jefferson, but he hates Burr MORE, in particular his inability to take a stand for anything. And so Madison is again the architect or something wild, as Hamilton speaks out in favor of JEFFERSON, a man who's ideas and ideals are completely contrary to his own, simply because Jefferson at least HAS ideals, while Burr seemingly has none.

-The real James Madison is the country's fourth President, and a pretty successful one, carrying on Jefferson's acts.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (George Washington! Eliza! Thomas Jefferson!)

Post by Jabroniville »

(That feeling where you hope for more engagement on the next set, but it’s gonna be like three weeks of Marvel UK- Marvel’s lamest offshoot, lol)
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (George Washington! Eliza! Thomas Jefferson!)

Post by Jabroniville »

I recall the first time I posted The Book of Mormon, I was unaware of the real General Butt Naked, and I got literally three Corrective Courtney posts in a single day informing me of the man - each not realizing someone had already done it :D!