Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Dragon Blade Kung Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

Gui Long (Dragon Blade) Kung Fu:
Level 1: "Awaken Chi Blade". Spends 24 hours with a sword to awaken its consciousness. Blade may now Heal others, detect hidden enemies (Mental Awareness- Penetrates Concealment) and do +7 damage to Mega-Damage beings.
Level 2: Double I.S.P.
Level 3: Double Chi Blade's I.S.P.
Level 4: +8 damage with Chi Blade.
Level 5: "Chi Resonance" Detects other blades within miles-long radius. Can tell if the wielders are evil.
Level 6: "Blade Return" The Blade will return to its owner via teleportation.
Level 7: Awaken a second Chi Blade.
Level 8: +9 damage with Chi Blade.
Level 9: Can use both Blades as paired weapons (I think that's an extra attack in Palladium-ese?).
Level 10: Double Chi Blade's I.S.P.
Level 11: Awaken a third Chi Blade.
Level 12: +10 damage with Chi Blade.
Level 13: "Blade Sentience" the first Chi Blade fully awakens and may now communicate telepathically with the wielder.
Level 14: Can hide its I.S.P. and nature from other sensory powers.
Level 15: Bonus to I.S.P. of Chi Blade & wielder.

-The "Swordfighting Style" that turns you into a pretty good swordfighter with a Chi Blade. Though the bonuses never seem that extreme (you're likely doing +10-11 damage by the end of it).
Jabroniville

Hsien-Hsia Kung Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

Hsien Hsia (Immortality Training) Kung Fu:
Level 1: "Calm Minds" Everyone within 120 feet stops fighting for a time. 25 ISP.
Level 2: AWA +1.
Level 3: Double I.S.P.
Level 4: "Mind Walk" Remote Sensing, leaving body defenseless (for robbery or possession by others). Take too long and you can become comatose.
Level 5:
Level 6: "Spirit Burst" Spends 100 or half their ISP (whichever is higher), creative a huge light that chases away or destroys Undead & creatures of darkness.
Level 7: Mental effects last half their normal duration against them.
Level 8: Improved Critical 2.
Level 9: "Absorb Curses" Takes others curses into himself.
Level 10: ISP boost.
Level 11: AWA +1.
Level 12: "Clarity & Truth" Same as Spirit Burst, but destroys all illusions & disguises.
Level 13: ISP boost.
Level 14: Insubstantial 4 for 2 rounds.
Level 15: Doubles existing P.P.E.

-A breathing-based art that provides more minor bonuses and some special powers, some of which really kill their ISP total.
Jabroniville

Cotton Fist Kung Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

Mien Ch'uan (Cotton Fist) Kung Fu:
Level 1: "Dragonskin" 6D6 Mega-Damage form against Mega-Damage dealing opponents, 1 round/level. No-damage strike allows them to determine the nature of their opponent (race, supernatural powers, demonic nature, etc.). One Specialty Power.
Level 2: STA +1, AGI +1.
Level 3: Specialty Power.
Level 4: Improved Critical on Supernatural beings.
Level 5: STA +1
Level 6: Double I.S.P.
Level 7: Specialty Power.
Level 8: Improved Critical +2 on Supernatural.
Level 9: Doubles Dragonskin M.D.C. & duration.
Level 10: Specialty Power.
Level 11: Improved Critical +2 on Supernatural.
Level 12: I.S.P. boost.
Level 13: STA +1.
Level 14: Specialty Power.
Level 15: FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2.

Specialty Powers: Demon Combination Punch (Damage +12 & I.S.P. Drain punch), Spirit Blow (same but against ethereal spirts- Affects Insubstantial), Hammer Fist (+5 damage to S.D.C. materials), Internal Strike (damage right to HP- meaningless in M&M), Shatter Jab (Damage +14 to M.D.C. vehicles/non-living things), Dragon Whack (Damage +12 that can't be Regenerated).

-A style that involves doing light tapes to an enemy to find their weakness. Also offers some specialty powers against certain kinds of threats or objects.
Jabroniville

Pao Chih

Post by Jabroniville »

Pao Chih (Animus Development):
Level 1: "Evoking Animus". Costs 1 ISP/hour and takes 4 rounds. Animus will protect the character and take over their sleeping body or move them out of danger.
Level 2: Animus detects Ley Lines.
Level 3: Animus automatically absorbs energy attacks, making them do half-damage.
Level 4: Animus detects P.P.E., I.S.P. & Chi up to 30 feet away.
Level 5: Animus creates 30 M.D.C. Force Field for character.
Level 6: Evokes in 3 rounds.
Level 7: Animus detects all life, determining health at range.
Level 8: Doubles I.S.P.
Level 9: Evokes in 2 rounds.
Level 10: "Detach Animus" It can leave the character's body and return instantly.
Level 11: I.S.P. boost.
Level 12: Evokes in 1 round.
Level 13: Animus absorbs P.P.E. and gifts it as I.S.P.
Level 14: I.S.P. boost.
Level 15: Evokes instantly.

-This one summons an "Animus" of energy that acts as a helper, primarily for sensory powers or a minor boost.
Jabroniville

Snake Style Kung Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

Sheh Shen (Snake Style) Kung Fu:
Level 1: 1 Invisibility Power. "Viper Stance" FIGHTING 13, Damage +10, Infravision. "Rat Snake Stance" Damage +2, FIGHTING +2, Ranged Attack +2, Toughness +7-8. Stealth +8.
Level 2: Improved Critical 2.
Level 3: Invisibility Power.
Level 4: Doubles I.S.P.
Level 5: "Chilling Touch- The Vapor" Damage +11 (Inaccurate -2), Victim has attacks halved for a while (Affliction- Disabled attacks).
Level 6: "Spitting Python Stance" Damage +11 (100 foot range), Toughness +7-8, Accuracy +6, Parry +3.
Level 7: Invisibility Power.
Level 8: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2.
Level 9: I.S.P. boost.
Level 10: Invisibility Power.
Level 11: "Cobra Stance" Damage +10 & Paralyzed Affliction, Toughness +7-8, FIGHTING 9, Accuracy +5, Parry +2.
Level 12: Improved Critical +1.
Level 13: Invisibility Power.
Level 14: I.S.P. boost.
Level 15: FIGHTING & Ranged Attack +2.

Art of Invisibility Powers: Concealment (Mentally disappears from all detection- Concealment 5), Deception (Concealment- Hearing), Evasion (Stealth in Combat by hiding behind a person and can't be counterattacked- lasts two rounds), Hiding (standard Concealment), Vanishing (Hide in Plain Sight).

-Snake Style offers a variety of "stances" that turns you into an M.D.C. fighter and nets you high damage. An odd effect is you have a flat number of attacks per round (accuracy) with some of them. Their "Invisibility" powers involve various forms of Concealment/Stealth, with small chances to be detected. Most are kinda the same and rather weird (like jumping behind a guy repeatedly so they can't fight you back). They were seen as evil Pre-Rifts, but now with the Yama Kings around, they're known as heroes.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Mo-Lo! Rifts China 2- Martial Arts!)

Post by Ares »

I like the concept behind the Cotton Fist style more than the execution. It seems like you wind up having to spend slots to be able to affect different things when something like the Crane style just gives you flat bonuses to damage without the need to probe.

I think if I were going to fix it, I'd say that if you'd used the 'probing' strike on a particular type of creature, substance or object before, then you can make a mental check to remember where the weak spots are and what their vulnerabilities are to gain access to your special abilities. Your special abilities would all do the same damage (save for one whose purpose is to just do a metric ton of damage), but each strike has some unique abilities, such as turning off a supernatural creatures regeneration, disabling a machine's electronics, paralyzing someone or their limbs, shattering objects, altering your energy so you 'count' as the creature's vulnerability (versus things like werewolves or vampires), etc.

Basically make it the Rifts version of Fist of the North Star meets "The Ripple" from JoJo's Bizarre Adventures and some Marvel's Karnak thrown in for good measure. You have an arsenal of striking techniques and it's up to you to decide how best to use them. Maybe even throw in some healing abilities and the like.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Curbludgeon

Post by Curbludgeon »

Looking good as always, Jab.

I remember putting a brief review of China 2 on this thread, so don't want to repeat myself unduly. I will add that the Drunken Boxing style is awesome for one reason: it adds a character's full dodge bonus to auto-dodge. It's debatable how that interacts with the changes to auto-dodge in Rifts Ultimate Edition, but if allowed to work as written is ridiculous.

One of the funny results of writing things under the assumption of a China 3 which never materialized is that some of the Mystic Martial arts are limited in application. As it is the only OCC which can use Ba Gua, for example, is the Geofront Ranger. While acknowledging the writeup, like others, has no basis in reality (Mantis Style creates an actual mantis!), Ba Gua is interesting in that at max level it allows for creating self-perpetuating microrealms along ley lines. There are a couple of other examples of things like this in Palladium, such as Mystic China's vajra items, the Temporal Magic spell 4-D Transformation, and Astral Realm abuse, but that they don't quite gel together well enough to make an efficient psionic-chi-magic loop seems more an accident than by design.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Jab you had a chance to look over the HTH commando i sent you? while were looking at Martial Arts styles very curious to get your thoughts on it
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:16 am Jab you had a chance to look over the HTH commando i sent you? while were looking at Martial Arts styles very curious to get your thoughts on it
I thought I had, lol. But I've been busy so I'll have to take another look at it
Hand to Hand COMMANDO

Level 1: FIGHTING 5, Ranged Accuracy 5
Level 2: Close Attack +1 Ranged Attack +1 +2 Dodge +2 Parry
Level 3: -
Level 4: Fighting + 2 (Accuracy 8 ), Ranged accuracy +2 (Ranged accuracy 8 )
Level 5: +2 to parry and Dodge
Level 6: Improved Initiative 1, +1 Close attack +1 Ranged attack +1 parry +1 Dodge
Level 7 +1 Strength Fearless advantage +1 Parry +1 Dodge
Level 8: FIGHTING +2 (accuracy 11), Ranged Attack +2 (11)
Level 9 -
Level 10: Close attack +1 Ranged attack +1
Level 11: -
Level 12 +1 Strength +3 Parry +3 Dodge
Level 13: FIGHTING +2 (accuracy 14), Dodge +2 (15), Ranged Attack +2 (14)
Level 14 Improved grab
Level 15: Improved Critical 3 17-20

So final stats if i did this right should be
Fighting +11 (+ 14 CC) +11 Ranged (+14 Accuracy)
Parry +19 Dodge +15
+2 strength
Improved Critical 3
Improved initiative 1
Improved Grab
Improved Disarm
Improved trip

the original for comparison

Hand to Hand COMMANDO

Level 1: 4 attacks WP paired Body flip/throw Body tackle +2 vs HF
Level 2: +1 Initiative, +1 strike, +2 parry +2 dodge +3 pull punch +3 roll with fall
Level 3: +1 on Initiative +1 disarm
Level 4: +1 attack
Level 5: +2 auto dodge
Level 6: +2 Initiative +1 strike +1 parry +1 dodge +1 throw
Level 7 +2 damage +1 vs HF +1 disarm +1 autododge +2 pull punch
Level 8: +1 attack +2 throw +1 roll with punch
Level 9 Death blow 18-20 +2 pull punch
Level 10: +2 vs HF +1 Initiative +1 strike
Level 11: +1 disarm +1 pull punch +2 throw
Level 12 +2 damage +1 parry +1 dodge+ 2 to auto dodge
Level 13: FIGHTING +2 (accuracy 14), Dodge +2 (14), Ranged Attack +2 (14)
Level 14 +1 Initiative can perform holds
Level 15: critical strike 17-20
Seems fine to me- mostly a slight modification and improvement to the Main Rulebook's styles, though it's hard to figure out "Death Blow" and Critical Strike in M&M, as in Rifts you can only get Improved Critical on a single attack, not all of your dice rolls.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

For me improved critical pretty well covers the critical strike since thats what it is in RUE its any hit on a nat 20 that does double damage

So improved critical runs right on that same line since it improves critical chance the same.

Death blow im with you its pretty much ignorable since its either a straight kill or just really high damage strike to MDC creatures
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Touch Mastery

Post by Jabroniville »

Tien-Hsueh (Touch Mastery):
Level 1: Healing Touch (Restorative). Reverses other Tien-Hsuei Touch powers. Special Tough (+4 to hit, does no damage but is a channel for later Powers).
Level 2: AWA +1.
Level 3: Touch Power.
Level 4: Doubles I.S.P.
Level 5: Touch Powers ignore all M.D.C. (like armor).
Level 6: Touch Power.
Level 7: AGI +1.
Level 8: Touch Power.
Level 9: Touch Powers have 400ft. range.
Level 10: I.S.P. boost.
Level 11: Touch Power.
Level 12: INT +1.
Level 13: Touch Power.
Level 14:
Level 15: I.S.P. boost.

Touch Powers: Blood Flow (damage directly to Hit Points; M.D.C. creatures take +9 damage or lose P.P.E.), Blindness (lasts 10 hours!), Electronic (stop or start a machine), Enlightenment (free from possession/control), Neural (paralyzing touch), Puppet Dance (physically controls victim via Affliction, dropping to half-accuracy), Demon Strike (takes out all but 1D4x10% of a supernatural creature's M.D.C.).

-The "Touch Mastery" isn't a combat god one, but offers a lot of unique advantages. With all the boosts, you can do unarmed damage from 400 feet away and ignore armor entirely, or even BLIND someone for hours! This costs only a bit of I.S.P.
Jabroniville

Praying Mantis Style Kung Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

Tong Lun (Praying Mantis Style) Kung Fu:
Level 1: "Mantis Armor" S.D.C. becomes M.D.C. +20, Parry +4, Dodge +2, attacks to Mega-Damage. "Mantis Hook" Damage +10. "Summons Mantis Animus" Animus has S.D.C. equal to user's M.D.C., does +9 damage, but is only FIGHTING 2. Can be "piloted" as armor with same durability. Takes 3 melees to summon. May be larger (+1 Toughness, Damage) for more I.S.P. spent.
Level 2: Doubles I.S.P.
Level 3: Mantis is FIGHTING 4.
Level 4: AGI +1.
Level 5: Evokes Animus in 2 rounds.
Level 6: Mantis Animus now has user's accuracy and can go 10 miles away. When used as armor nets FIGHTING +2.
Level 7: STA +1.
Level 8: Improved Hold, Chokehold, STA +1.
Level 9: Evoke Animus in 1 round.
Level 11: Animus is now constant. Toughness +1, Speed 1.
Level 12: AWA +1.
Level 13: I.S.P. boost.
Level 14: Evokes Animus instantly.
Level 15: Animus is now a living, breathing being. It has FIGHTING +4, Toughness +1, Uncanny Dodge, Accuracy +3.

-The "Mantis Armor" is a bit curious, as the typically useless S.D.C. suddenly converts, meaning if you gave a Juicer this power, they'd be near Glitter Boy-tier in durability! You can also summon an Animus as a helper or "Armor" with the same toughness.
Jabroniville

Drunken Style Kung Fu

Post by Jabroniville »

Xian Pu (Drunken Style) Kung Fu:
Level 1: "Falling Technique" takes minimal damage from any fall. Wall-Crawling 2.
Level 2: All Staffs do +9 damage.
Level 3: Doubles I.S.P.
Level 4: "Mystic Slime" Immunity to Entrapment Effects/Grappling.
Level 5: Immune to Poison.
Level 6: "Toxic Vapor" Impairs enemy attacks.
Level 7: Morph (looks like another person for a day).
Level 8: "Blind Drunk" can become blind and fool others. Suffers only 1/3 the normal disadvantages for blindness.
Level 9: STA, PP & AWA +1.
Level 11: "Mind Cloak" will totally distract someone listening to them, causing them to be oblivious to everything else around them (Concealment Attack) until struck.
Level 12: Traces Ley Lines.
Level 13: "Inflict Mystic Drunkenness" Inflicts up to six victims at once with Affliction (impaired/disabled attacks, speed).
Level 14: AWA +1, PRE +1.
Level 15: I.S.P. boost.

-A mystical version of the Drunken-Style. So like, they seemingly couldn't figure out which version they wanted to go with so did the "Rifts" thing and chose both. This one just gives you some curious, odd powers like stunning people with your gross breath or making them feel drunk. Some decent physical boosts as well.
Jabroniville

Xian Tai Chi Chuan

Post by Jabroniville »

Xian Tai Chi Chuan:
Level 1: "Gather Chi Ball" takes four rounds. Adds 1D4 per round, uses to hit for Damage +6.
Level 2: Doubles I.S.P.
Level 3: Detects I.S.P. of surrounding area.
Level 4: INT +1, AWA +1, PRE +1.
Level 5: "Chi Ball Defense" Force Field equal to I.S.P. in M.D.C. against Magic & Psychic attacks.
Level 6: Evokes Chi Ball in 1 round.
Level 7: "Chi Ball Calm" resistant to fear, horror and other mental ailments.
Level 8: I.S.P. boost.
Level 9:
Level 10: Creates two Chi Balls at once.
Level 11: Levitates to 500 feet.
Level 12: I.S.P. boost.
Level 13: "Chi Ball Blast" Blast 9-13 (Accuracy 1), limited to demons & supernatural monsters.
Level 14: AWA +1, PRE +1.
Level 15: Immune to Illusions.

-Tai Chi is now based around creating an invisible ball that gives you small bonuses. This one makes you a fair bit smarter as time goes on.
Jabroniville

Jian Shih

Post by Jabroniville »

JIAN SHIH O.C.C.
Role:
Warrior of the Celestial Court, Noble Warrior, Monster-Fighter
PL 8 (93)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Chinese Culture) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Business/Administration) 4 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Energy Weapon +8, Armor), Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Chi Blade" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [8]
"Detect Hidden Enemies" Senses 7 (Radius Ranged Mental Awareness- Penetrates Concealment) (7)
Healing 5 (Flaws: Limited to Others) (5) -- (6)
AE: Strength-Damage +4 (4)
-- (13 points)

"Martial Art" (Tai Chi, Eighteen Weapons or Shao-Lin)
"Martial Arts Powers" (Dragon Blade Kung-Fu)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Chi Blade +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Demon-Fighting)- Jian Shih are devoted to fighting the Yama Kings and their demonic minions, and removing the Mist that hides China from the Celestial Court.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 8 + Martial Arts / Defenses: 10 (93 + Martial Arts)

-Jian Shih start us off right away with an O.C.C. equivalent to the Cyber-Knights or other monster-fighters- noble heroes of legend who fight demons. They know that the Yama Kings have their place, but they find they've stepped too far out of line and must be knocked back to where they came from. The Mist that obscures China from the Gods must be broken.

-Jian Shih may take one of three martial arts, and I went with the ones that default you to FIGHTING 8 at Level 1, since that's probably best. They get some physical boosts (+1 to all three physical stats, which ain't bad in a stats-starved environment like Palladium's games) but are your basic, generic hero. They explicitly use the "Dragon Blade" style and gain their powers- an increasingly-powerful Chi Blade that does middling damage to start. Overall, they're PL 8- they'd get housed by nearly anything in Rifts China 1 at the start of their run.